[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Traveling at 19

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

File: 1463169675407.jpg (216KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
1463169675407.jpg
216KB, 1000x666px
I am currently a college student and ROTC Cadet in school for the next 4 years. After that I will spend likely the next 20 years of my life in the service..

The only problem with this is that I would really like to travel at some point before I get too old (I want to see the young crowd, and I mean carefree traveling - closer to living there than being a tourist). I'm 19 and have never left the America before.

I currently have some money available but I don't really know what I need to get to where I want to go. Is it really as easy as just buying a plane ticket and figuring it out on the way?

The places that really interest me are Central Asia, Russia, and former lands of the Byzantium.
>>
>>1131182
>>I currently have some money available but I don't really know what I need to get to where I want to go. Is it really as easy as just buying a plane ticket and figuring it out on the way?
You need a valid passport, money and legal documentation.
Legal documentation means visa and possibly other stuff like vaccination proof and whatnot.
Check the consulate webpage of the countries you want to visit to see if you need a visa (and any other documents). If you do, check the procedures to apply and go for it.
Visa applying procedures and requirements change according to the country you live in and the country you want to visit so we can't help without you being more specific.

Having the legal papers sorted out, it's just a matter of getting there and enjoying your time.
>>
>>1131182
>>"before I get too old"
Just wanted to say that during my trip in SE Asia I met people aged 50 years old and up, traveling in groups, couples and solo. Some of them slept in simple hotels if not guesthouses (including dorms).
Only you decide if you are too old :)
>>
>>1131191
Well I'm sure i can travel after I retire, I'd just like to not be limited by my age. I want to travel while I'm in my prime so I can maximize my enjoyment and have access to everything.
>>
Just get a visa and go. You're at a great age to travel, people will be accommodating and opportunities will present themselves.
>>
>>1131199
Travel poor countries when you're young, do the cultural stuff when you're a bit older and more interested in it.
>>
Having traveled to Russia might be a problem for you later in your career when you need to get clearances. Seek further guidance from your military leadership about it before you go.
>>
My first trip was to India when I was 19, so I can give you some advice.

>I currently have some money available but I don't really know what I need to get to where I want to go.
How much money? Money is everything; it's going to decide where you go, what you do, where you stay, what you can see, what you can eat etc... Some countries are extremely cheap and you can easily travel comfortably on <$50 a day; in others you'll be starving to death, living off of bread and apples and staying in the shittiest budget hostels imaginable. You can travel on a strict budget, but you NEED to budget in that scenario and figure out how much money you can spend and where you want to spend it. Always be conservative; running out of money abroad can be a nightmare. As a 19 year old I was terrible with money, and wasted tons of money on stupid shit, gifts, scams you name it. It's okay to make some mistakes, but you don't want to be limiting your travel experience, or getting yourself into trouble.

>Is it really as easy as just buying a plane ticket and figuring it out on the way
Ostensibly, yes, but it depends on the type of person you are. For your first trip I suggest having a rough itinerary with some space for fucking around. Definitely plan out where you are going to stay and how you are going to get from place to place in the country of your choice. It's pretty enticing to wing it, especially when you're young, but in a country where you don't speak the language it's fairly easy to get yourself "lost", lugging your bag around piss drunk in some city looking for a hostel that's staffed at 3AM. It's not going to get you killed (probably), but it might lead to some miserable experiences.
>>
>>1131199
FWIW, I didn't start traveling until I was in my 30s, with a wife and two kids. And I'm having a great time into my 50s.

Not to say there are not some advantages to traveling younger, or that I don't understand why you want to go now, just saying that don't worry too much about losing your ability to travel later.
>>
File: Right.jpg (708KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Right.jpg
708KB, 1920x1200px
>>1131681
I can probably spare about $5,000 to $7,000 traveling, but just getting to Kyrgyzstan costs about $2,400.

When I say, i more of would like to spend extensive periods of time (i.e. 30~45 days) on the road, rather than 4 days exploring.
>>
>>1131994
ehh I've heard Kygrzstan is too friendly toward American military. there has been kidnapping of Americans there in the recent past.
>>
File: 1466948922156.png (376KB, 700x512px) Image search: [Google]
1466948922156.png
376KB, 700x512px
>>1132061
At the moment I am only an associate of the military, and I don't typically share that I am a cadet unless necessary - I prefer to get a good feeling from a person before I tell them, lest problems arise.
>>
>>1131182
seriously, just hitchhike.
it's the most fun.

get a camping backpack, minimal clothes, a 1 person tent
>>
>>1132074

Even still.. You are an American. And they are not fond of Americans there. They forced the US to close Manas Air Base in Bishkek.
>>
File: image1.jpg (1MB, 1876x2513px) Image search: [Google]
image1.jpg
1MB, 1876x2513px
>>1131182
i started at 19. Now It's been 2 years, hitchhiked 40 000 km, speak 3 languages, got skydiving and scuba diving license, play harmonica and guitar... It worked for me... for another couple years for sure
>>
File: 1466767482743.png (2MB, 736x1075px) Image search: [Google]
1466767482743.png
2MB, 736x1075px
>>1132423
How can you afford that?
>>
>>1132577
By doing cam shows for gay men
>>
>>1132577
Lots of charity (he hitched how fucking far?!) And getting cash in hand labour jobs to top up the account when it's low.

OP I highly doubt any US military current or retired would get a visa for Russia, if you want to go do it before serving (or better for reducing your likelihood of suicide just never serve).
>>
>>1131182
Reading this is weird.

I spent my entire life wanting to be in the military because I thought that was the best, and really only way to travel the world. When I got rejected from enlistment I just gave up and allowed my parents to groom me for the position cubicle they had picked out. As I moved through life I picked up bits and pieces of info on how to travel cheaply and eventually I had enough info and tips to get around the world on my own without an established high paying career and paid vacation time. It's not ideal but it's the next best thing, I suppose.
>>
>>1131182
>Former lands of Byzantium

Literally all of them are warzones right now.
>>
>>1133354

We are not enemies with Russia. Going as a tourist would be fine
>>
File: 1407032876574.jpg (448KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1407032876574.jpg
448KB, 1920x1200px
>>1131182
Live with the locals vibe? You have to earn that wherever you go. If you're polite and show genuine interest you should be just fine.

But if you're looking for a place where you might "fit in" America is obviously the place you'll stay, the rest of the world hates/bashes on you when they find out you're American.

Travelling is about experiencing new cultures and having a good time. For that type of experience I suggest backpacking through Asia is a good start. Thailand is very friendly to foreigners and the prices are good. There are so many UNESCO sites there as well.

Since it's your first time travelling I would go somewhere unique. Also you should definitely see D.C.
>>
>>1133866
You are rather obviously wrong.
>>
>>1133977
>Lands shorty held for a few decades
Comon anon, even I know that's grasping at straws
>>
>>1131182
Former muhreen here. Yeah, just get visas and its easy. Just be careful who you tell that you're in the military, not saying that its a big issue but Ive had a couple incidents in my travels in NATO countries, so be more mindful in Russia . A buddy of mine went to Russia while in ROTC no problem. As long as you have money you have nothing to worry about.
>>
>>1133364
Thats what I thought too, then I just got to go to afghanistan and nowhere else. Of course as soon as I get out they start up the MEUs again and all of my friends go on Black Sea and Baltic deployments.
>>
>>1132577
If you are not stupid you'll find out buy yourself... people are fucking doing it forever. I stopped using any bank account card (no credit either) after 5 months of learning how to travel. AS >>1132642 said... the entertainment business works fine in first world country... and then poor country is cheap (i crossed from USA to mexico with 350$ and crossed back to texas 6 months after and i still had 100 bucks)
>>
>>1133354
25 000 miles
>>
>>1134030
SO just post "all their lands are in warzones now, except for the ones that are not and I don't count those. I'll also use an extremely loose and inaccurate definition of "war zone," just to make sure I can say mere places are in one.
>>
You can travel a fuck ton in the service. After deployment, I'll have more than 30 days of paid leave. I'll be taking a 20 day trip with some friends. Getting international leave approved is not really that hard just a pain in the ass but manageable.
>>
>>1131182
Having done a similar program (ROTC for canada) than you, ask yourself why the places you listed interest you. Is it because you just finished a "history of war" class where you learned for the first time of a rich culture/history you never knew existed because in America, the planet may as well have been created in 1776?

If it is visiting places with a rich history, I'd say start off with Europe. First off, the exchange rate between the EUR and USD hasn't been this good in 13 years (https://www.google.com/finance?q=USDEUR&ei=qPd4V8HbIIKL2AaH5LH4AQ). Secondly, visa-free for 3 months, and once inside the Schengen zone, no borders so you can travel to any country within without having to deal with retarded borders or customs. Thirdly, you can get the history/culture from visiting a foreign country, without going to a third world country or straight up enemy of your state (Russia).
>>
>>1131182
>ROTC cadet
>hasn't even commissioned yet
>already thinks he wants to do 20

As an active duty military member myself with only a month left until my contract is up, I can tell you with confidence you will hate your life and regret your decision to be in the military, even if you go in as an officer.
Officers lives are just as shitty as the enlisted, they just deal with a different kind of shitty in their job.

But if you're so dead set on being in the military, I wish you nothing but pain and hope you get stationed in Georgia
>>
>>1134193
how did you NOT get killed?
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.