[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what are you running from?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 237
Thread images: 23

File: .jpg (897KB, 2060x1236px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
897KB, 2060x1236px
what are you running from?
>>
Please stop these feels, I'm not even joking
>>
Everything I've managed to fuck up in this country and can't ignore anymore.
>>
Winter

I fucking hate cold weather
>>
The life that awaits me at home. I graduated with a useless major, realizing all too late my mistake. I worked in sales, failed within three weeks. Went to work for an outbound call center, failed within two weeks.

Then got a good job teaching English in Japan (JET). Now I spend my days here, being grateful for what I have, but also dreading the end I'm get an MTESOL, just to allow me steadier employment here or elsewhere once the inevitable happens. If all goes well, I'll be teaching uni in China in a couple years.

I haven't been back to my home country in three years. All that awaits me there is a career in McDonald's.

I'm never going back.
>>
>>1126747

University short term

Missed opportunities long term
>>
A life of cleaning up shit

>got a degree in useless subject
>can't find a graduate job
>join the army
>realise the people in the army are the type of people you don't like
>quit army training
>unemployed for 6 month
>can only get a job as a carer
>become a carer for a year
>get TEFL certificate
>fly to SEA
>get job as English teacher
>shit pay, but easy living and lots of whores
>>
>>1126772
>>1126786
I feel bad for you guys. I'm doing ESL teaching in Korea and using the money I saved for a masters in teaching.

Cushy international school is my goal. Or working on a military base.

Teaching Math or English.

How much did you guys save in a year?
>>
>>1126786
>quit army training

How? You can't just decide you don't feel like doing it anymore.
>>
>>1126747

Work

>>1126810

$60k
work one year, travel 2 years, repeat.
>>
>>1126747
It's not what I'm running from, it's what I'm running to...
>>
>>1126810

JET in Japan guy here. I actually get paid pretty decently, and have saved quite a bit (though I would have saved so much more if I didn't have student loans).

I'll have enough savings to do a Master's, no problem. The problem is what to get my Master's in. I was going to just do an MTESOL program abroad at Temple University Japan (I just don't have the heart to go home) and try for uni gigs in China or something.
>>
Something I can't fix.
>>
>>1126914
Nah, they just make your life hell when you try to quit. I saw a few kids leave during basic because they refused to train. They were stuck with the unit for like a month and a half and all they were allowed to do was sit around before they got sent to RHU in reception where I'm sure they stayed for a long time as well. The drill Sgt spoke to them worse than they did to the rest of us. I do not envy those people.
>>
>>1126747
Routine and mundanity essentially. I'll stop running eventually one day once I run out of steam to keep travelling, and then settle.
>>
>>1126943
How bad can that really be? They bore you and people talk shit to you for a month before yoi can leave. I can't see that being worse than not having the mind to train and getting your ass kicked by basic
>>
>>1126943
That's what I heard.
Sounds like you coulf quite literally be bored to death.
>>
>>1126747

Nothing, really.

I'm a student and working on finishing my degree. I do relatively well in university and have a good job that lets me make more than most people here in the States despite still being in education. I have a girlfriend who loves me a lot, a good family, and just bought my first motorcycle.

However, travel is and always has been my number one passion. Ever since I was a kid, I wanted to go different places. I'd spend whole class periods ignoring the teacher and looking at the world map in my planner, drawing lines here and there and imagining myself walking across the globe.

I always feel like I'm sacrificing something when I come, DESU.
>>
>>1126964

*come home
>>
Routine.

Most of my friends have graduated university, many have been on a foreign exchange, but still they are happy to come back to our town of 30.000 souls, hook up with a girl they've known since they were born, get a flat, if they're of the daring cosmopolitan sort, or a house if they want to put down deep and lasting roots. They'll get babies at the age of 24, and take a plane to Spain or Greece for a week and a half every summer holiday to relax and "recharge their batteries", whatever that is supposed to mean. Rinse and repeat for the next 40 years of their lives.

They all think this is comforting, I found the idea alone stifling and moved abroad as soon as I could.
>>
>>1126914
In the UK we can quit after 4 weeks; after 4 weeks I just said I want to quit. The process was quite quick for me it only took 4 days. In that time I had about 5 interviews why I wanted to quit and had to write an essay on why I wanted to quit.

I was told it could take up to 2 weeks maximum, but in my final interview the guy said I was a miserable cunt with no discipline and wanted me to fuck off, and he'd arrange to get me to leave that day; it was a relief.
>>
>>1126965
>>1126964
>I always feel like I'm sacrificing something when I come home

This so much. I just hate the feeling of having to worry about getting home in one or two days to feed my mom's dogs so they won't starve, of having to call her or answer her calls since she's getting worried for missing too much, of having to worry about paying the rent this month or making sure to be at home when the boss calls for an emergency.

I just want to point in a direction and be able to go there, to spend as many nights as I want in a foreign place without thinking about what's at home, to go somewhere and not have to worry about how I'll get back.

Saving up money and the moment the dogs die ( since they have no fault in this and I don't want them starving to death) I'll be gone with the wind.
>>
From the fact that I caused the death of my kind and I am the last one remaining.
>>
>>1126970
Is what you are doing broad that different? Just a different backdrop? For your friends life is not about where they are, or what they are doing, but who they are with.
>>
File: DSC04737.jpg (3MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
DSC04737.jpg
3MB, 2592x1944px
>>1126994
I am doing broads, yes. :DD

More to the point, I'm living in a country where they don't speak my language, where the sights are different, I'm making new friends from all over the world, y'know. The works. Most of my friends don't. Some say they envy me and say they want to do the same thing, but buy a three-bedroom house and find a job three streets from where their parents live. It seems deadening to me.

But hey, I'm 23 and maybe that'll come to me in a couple years' time. Maybe I'm just immature.
>>
File: 1464508486546.jpg (39KB, 960x714px) Image search: [Google]
1464508486546.jpg
39KB, 960x714px
>>1127006
How was the move? Was it expensive? Was it jarring at first?

I've turned pretty much everything to shit in this town of 10,000 and moving to another country I actually like has been a dream of mine for a long while.
>>
>>1127006
Are you brown, are you native to the USA. Just wondering because I have noticed a stark increase in wanderlust of brown people raised in the USA. When I say brown I mean anyone not white.
>>
>>1126772
Is your major English or something?
>>
Overly religious parents and a group of friends that I drink heavily and use drugs with

regads expat
>>
File: DSC04445.jpg (3MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
DSC04445.jpg
3MB, 2592x1944px
>>1127011
>How was the move? Was it expensive? Was it jarring at first?
It wasn't expensive per se (I found a job abroad, and only moved afterwards, the inverse seemed risky. A month of frugal living paid back my flight). Jarring, somewhat. I mean, I arrived in a city/country where I didn't know anyone, where I spoke the language but not fluently at all, and I only had my own senses to rely on. Finding a flat, settling in, making new friends &c. took a while, but now I'm good.

And don't let your dreams be dreams: If you want to move somewhere, do so. I'd advise you to secure a job beforehand though, it makes everything way easier. Setting up a bank account, applying for residency, finding a place to stay: everyone is immediately relieved the foreigner they're dealing with isn't a temp dude with no clue about anything.

>>1127014
I am neither: European, and white as they come.
>>
>>1127044
Oh man, that's pretty cool.
I'm from N. Europe and I've been thinking about making some dough in Australia for a year or so and then try my hand at moving to some comfy country.
>>
>>1126747
I've never even left my state(Illinois). I'm a hick. I'm saving up to go dick around in SEA for a few months before returning to my stagnant flyover life.
>>
>>1126747
>what are you running from?
Boring/ugly geography

I live in rural Nebraska and I love the mountains and the sea.
>>
>>1127069
Is it that cringeworthy? I just took a job out in central NE. Will be there next week. Really trying to push myself to buckle down these days.
>>
>>
>>1127087
>Is it that cringeworthy?
Yeah. I hate it. I truly hate it. When I walk outside sometimes I just start screaming.

But I guess different people value different things, my sister moved to Knoxville but then came back as soon as she got married and bought a house right across the street from where we grew up. She absolutely loves it here and says she'd never live anywhere else and thinks it's funny that I travel at all.

If you like dirt or gazing at the clouds you should be happy, sometimes the sunset looks nice. Weather is shit though, freezing and snowy in the winter, hot and humid in the summer. I hate it.

Where in NE are you moving to?
>>
>>1127087
>>1127087
>Is it that cringeworthy?
Yeah. I hate it. I truly hate it. When I walk outside sometimes I just start screaming.

But I guess different people value different things, my sister moved to Knoxville but then came back as soon as she got married and bought a house right across the street from where we grew up. She absolutely loves it here and says she'd never live anywhere else and thinks it's funny that I travel at all.

If you like dirt or gazing at the clouds you should be happy, sometimes the sunset looks nice. Weather is shit though, freezing and snowy in the winter, hot and humid in the summer. I hate it.

Where in NE are you moving to?
>>
>>1126938
right in the fucking feels.
>>
>>1127094
I'm from the mountains and the sea. I miss the woods. Great for hiking, but you wouldn't believe how many people in the Pacific NW have Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Out here in central USA there is heaps of sunlight. That improves my mood. It's something that cheers me up despite the plain scenery.

I'm supposed to be in Elgin, NE next weekend. Maybe stay in Neligh.

Where do you travel? Here in the states, or overseas??
>>
>>1126747
I'm running from my alcoholic father and my abusive home life, my bi-polar aunt who threatened to blackmail me for something that happened almost a decade ago, and my past failed friendships and relationships.

I scrounged up just enough money to move into this house with this guy who just got divorced. I've got $1,500.00 left to my name, and I'm considering buying a passport and jumping ship to another country. Maybe somewhere in Europe or Japan. Not sure yet.

Depressed as fuck. I just want to get a new life.
>>
Let's see..

>18, dog I got when I was 5 died of cancer, took a gap year before college
>20, closest cousin got shot in the head twice
>20, four months later grandpa, whom I lived with, dies from complications from a heart attack at home
>23, girl who I was with for four years, was convinced I was going to spend the rest of my life with, leaves me

On top of that, I've made bad education decisions due in part to the stress from the two family deaths. Had full scholarships to a couple of good universities, ultimately went to a fucking online college.

I'm 23 and have no idea how to achieve my dreams.
>>
I want to completely vanish. When I go, I never want anyone to know until I'm ready. But not just another state, I want to leave the US as a whole. For whatever reason, I feel there is nothing left for me in this country. The only thing rooting me here is my marriage, which is on the rocks.
>>
>>1127122
I like the woods too but only in mountainous areas, otherwise meh. My dad and I actually went for a hike in one of the few forested areas Nebraska has. It was still pretty flat and there were ticks, Dad thinks he got Lyme disease from there.

I've never heard of Seasonal Affective Disorder (kek SAD) but it sounds like pseudoscience to me. I'm a night owl myself so don't care much about the sun, if I did I'd go to LA or Orlando maybe.

Both, I try to go somewhere new here in the US and abroad every year. I live near Kearney.

>>1126747
I don't get how all the people in this thread think they can "run from their problems" unless you're fleeing an abusive person, isn't that actually impossible? When I come home everything looks the same; same bills, same responsibilities and everything else. I plan to move permanently once I have enough saved up, but I don't romanticize any of the places I go as if the people there have no problems and as if I wouldn't too as a resident, that seems pretty childish.
>>
>>1127128
It sounds like you already know what you have to/want to do. Don't let anything stop you from finding your happiness.
>>
>30's
>never had a gf
>no friends
>useless degree, have a job that I could have gotten with a certificate
>don't want to keep working where I currently am any longer
>have $120k saved up'
>feel like this is the time for me to give up on a normal life and just fuck off for a long time

I'm mostly just jaded with my life really. I've been at my job for 6 years now. I work with some people who have been at it for 2 or 3 decades. They seem like they don't have a soul. They're so boring. I don't want to wake up in 20 or 30 years and look back at my life only to see working a dead end job for years and years. I have plans to travel for around 4-5 years. Do some working holidays (I'm still able to go to some countries), teach English in Asia for a year or two. I don't know where I'll end up at the end of this. I hope to pick up some skills along the way, learn 1 more language, maybe if things work out somehow get into a masters program of some kind. Maybe finally have friends.
>>
>>1127126

> Relax, you're doing fine

At 23, I was homeless and spiraling into depression and substance abuse. I tried to run away from myself and live in another country, but the plans fell through because I had no money and my degree was in a completely useless field. I rebooted my life and moved across the country, working whatever job would have me. Eventually went back to school, taking undergrad level classes to fill in the gaps I needed for med school. Now I'm an MD, writing this from the bathroom while vacationing on the other side of the world. Your life didn't get fucked up overnight, it won't be fixed overnight.

What am I running from? Nothing, I'm running to my dreams.
>>
>>1127122
Different Nebraska anon here, and not one who's so discontented by Nebraska in general. My dad's family is from Madison / Battle Creek area, and I always liked the area up there (I'm in Lincoln, grew up in the southeast corner). The scenery may be "plain" to a lot of people (one of the kinder definitions I've come across), but there was an article in a Nebraskaland magazine that left an impact on me. A guy was describing falling in love with the prairie in the same way one falls in love with the sea. Not where the ocean waves meet the shore, which is spectacular for sure, but out in the open sea. If you spend enough time in it, you start to love it, because you notice the nuance and small things that happen. You can look at a square foot of earth and hundreds of things can be happening, and a lot of people ignore that. The Sandhills are like that. I love them a lot, and I love my parents farm, and all the drives I've taken. It's fascinating to me to fall in love with a place that few people love, and getting to know its details. I've had so many acquaintances speak about how boring the I-80 drive west is (and I won't necessarily disagree with them), but when you look deeper than that or choose to take one of the smaller highways or something, then you see so much more. This coming from someone who cut thistles/cedars all day Saturday in this damn heat and pulled a tick off my fucking stomach. I understand why people hate this place, and my love of the mountains borders on crazy, but I love this place to.

Have you been many places in Nebraska, anon?
>>
>>1127166
Do it man it sounds great
>>
File: wgq1go5s9y1x.gif (2MB, 320x218px) Image search: [Google]
wgq1go5s9y1x.gif
2MB, 320x218px
>24
>East Coast USA
>loner, largely
>just moved out of parents' and to a new state to do maritime work
>4 week on, 2 week off schedule
>cheap, shared rental house
>plenty of money to spend when I'm off

I continue to try new jobs, activities, and places in the hope something will click and I'll finally have strong purpose in my life. But it hasn't happened, and I'm already fantasizing about (again) quitting and moving. I already dread going to this job because I'm being pressured (however gently) to think about a career there (and also, it's hard and I'm totally out of my element), and I really want to be free to keep trying new things.

I really really want to find an occupation that I love and don't dread. Maybe that doesn't exist; maybe I really do just need a partner and a dog and some kind of artistic outlet. Maybe I need antidepressants. But I'm afraid that a gf would not make me happy and that I would only make her unhappy, and I'm just really suspicious of depression medication. I haven't yet given up on the idea that I can find happiness on my own. It feels so close, like I just haven't quite put things together yet.

I have a vague dream of being like a high level technical writer or something and living in some modernist cabin in the northwest with a qt and a dog and making good money from infrequent work and spending a lot of time reading and writing and listening to music and cooking and hiking and working on our house and our garden. and being a really strong, smart, kind, articulate, person, and just basically always being active and never getting overwhelmed by problems and enjoying the beauty of nature and another person aaaaand /faggyblog
>>
>>1126772
>teaching English in Japan
Pretty much sounds like a weeb's wet dream.
>>
>>1127207
No really, for the last four years I decided to visit a new state and a new country annually.

On my own I went to Washington Oregon California Nevada, Illinois, and New York; France, Canada, Mexico, and Argentina.

I visited Kansas, Florida, South Dakota, Tennessee, and Texas with the family or friends.
>>
>>1127401
Thinking about Australia next, Sydney looks cool.
>>
>>1127227
Already have my tickets booked for Australia. Going to land there by the end of the year and if things work out I will spend 18-22 months there.
>>
>>1127412
>18-22 months there
W-what are you doing?
>>
>>1127049
> from N Europe
> wants to move to a comfy country

Your country is probably as comfy as it gets, man.
>>
Thanks, OP. Been thinking about this since you posted the thread.

I guess I'm running from complacency and the culture. I'm convinced that I don't belong in North America (Canada) but I've been trying to figure out if it's the whole grass-is-greener thing. And I honestly think that it isn't. I think that different countries have different personalities and I've felt more at-home in Germany, Northern Europe, or Australia. But my roots are here, I'm only qualified in Canada/would be working for minimum wage in every other country.

It's weird 'cause on the outside lookign in, my life actually looks pretty good. I'm known as that guy who's always traveling; but the truth is that I travel 'cause I can't stand where I'm from. My friend's aren't very wild or exciting, I hate the dating culture, and I hate the work culture.

I often feel trapped and I'm only really happiest when I'm abroad; even if it's fleeting/temporary. I've also battled with depression for a good portion of my life and refuse to take meds a I would literally rather kill myself than be on meds. Truthfully, I'm a pretty decent-looking guy so everyone thinks I do great with women back home but I only ever get laid when I'm traveling/living in other countries.
>>
I feel trapped at home and my country has zero jobs unless you have tons of connections which I don't. I love travelling and I want to break free, but I'm shackled to my degree which doesn't seem to ever end.
>>
>>1127538
Will do a work holiday there which is 12 months but can be extended by another year if you work in a rural area.
>>
>>1126747
The 90's.

RUNNING IN THE 90'S!

[EUROBEAT INTENSIFIES]
>>
File: Deeeen.jpg (24KB, 226x226px) Image search: [Google]
Deeeen.jpg
24KB, 226x226px
>>1126747
Myself

Better start packing again.
>>
>>1126747

What are you hiding from, OP? Live life already.
>>
In my 30s, divorced, no friends, truly fucked up everything but I do care about my family and I like my job. But I've lived in the same shitty state for all my life. I want to explore other areas of the world and meet new people. I actually have money now and I want to enjoy life instead of waking up every day, wondering what else is there. I'll probably move in another 10 years when I save up more and sell my house.

Basically trying to get back some of the freedom I threw away in my 20s.
>>
File: Charisma Man.jpg (299KB, 1400x680px) Image search: [Google]
Charisma Man.jpg
299KB, 1400x680px
My lonely, awkward self.

When I travel, I am free. No one knows me. I don't know myself. And when I don't know myself, I like myself.
>>
>>1127123
Time to take a bottom of the barrel ESL gig and start working your way up bro. Pay increases very fast if you aren't dumb about it.
>>
>>1127568

Grass is greener is bullshit. if some guy dying in a concentration camp wanted to leave would that phrase apply to him?

Obviously it is important to try to keep a positive attitude in whatever situation you are in, but there is nothing wrong with searching for a better life somewhere else.
>>
>>1127941
> le edge example desu
Most people here come from a first world country and, almost always, settling somewhere else will be a step down economic wise.
A life of a immigrant is almost always more limited job wise.
>>
Life
>>
>>1127947
>Most people here come from a first world country and, almost always, settling somewhere else will be a step down economic wise.
>A life of a immigrant is almost always more limited job wise.

Absolutely untrue, even with your "almost always" qualifiers, as long as you have a marketable skill, speak the language fluently, get along with and like the locals and don't constantly bang on about how great your home country (that you left and don't seem to be planning to go back to) is. Visa issues can limit your options at first but once you're a permanent resident this problem disappears too. In many cases, as an international person you even have very significant advantages over the local competition.
>>
>25 yo
>good and useful degree
>no financial problems (thanks my family. Anyway I'm a frugal guy)
>I love my country (south Europe)
>very few friends and I fucked very few girls (and my gfs were unimportant for me).

I don't know what to do.
Probabily I will go abroad to study for a semester next year but I worry that I'll find the same problems that I find at home.
To be honest though people say that my country is a very hard field to find the girls..
I'm bored of this. Someone in my situation?
>>
>>1127998
yeah, I would like to add that I don't want to fly in a third world poor country to fuck cheap whores.
I really would like to find a way out from this erronous circle: no friends -> no girls ->person uninteresting -> no friends ->... repeat
but I don't know if leave my country could be the solution of my problems.
>>
>>1127998
Where are you from exactly?
>>
>>1128022
Italy
>>
>>1128026
I had no idea it was a hard country to find girls or friends. Anyway you could always try to go to more northern European countries.

I have a few friends in Brittain, the Netherlands, Germany and am from Belgium (Flanders) myself. If you want to make friends or connection I find that people in these countries are pretty open to that. Abroad study is a great way to test the waters and you'll automatically be with a group of people who are also new to the place with whom you can explore together. It's however not always positive, my dutch GF went to study abroad in Barcelona and she ended up in the same house with a lot of annoying 'let's party and have no responsibilty' type of girls.

Al in all, I would just do it. A change in scenery alone can do a lot.
>>
It started off as a dream, but now I see it as a necessity to get away from my family situation.
Me and my siblings are planning on moving away from the U.S entirely, and meet up- just the three f us- on holidays, to avoid the constant stress that accompanied our Christmases with our parents. It's odd, because going to Germany started off as a dream for me, and now it's an aching obsession ever since I visited.

I won't look back when I do move. There are too many people here that make whatever good memories I had just more reasons to leave.
>>
>>1127947

I'll concede that the example is edgy, but I was just pointing out the inaccuracy of that saying. I think it discourages people from leaving sub par situations.

another less edgy example would be someone living in a small town wanting to live in a big city. city life might take some adjusting to but they might be happier in the end.

also, I would never try to romanticize poverty, but some second and third world countries sometimes do offer better economic opportunities to people from the first world. for example: a recent college graduate might have trouble getting a job in a major city in the USA, especially one that would allow him to afford exorbitant rent prices. but, they could teach ESL in another country and live cheaply, allowing them to save up money and gain work experience, learn a new language, etc.

i think for some people, that sounds better than working retail or construction and living with their parents. obviously it depends on the person though and in a lot of cases you're probably correct.
>>
>>1126747
my selft...always find ....
>>
>>1127193
The grass is always greener
>>
Me >>1127998

>>1128028
Actually I was thinking that would be more easy to find a job in east/central Europe (especially Poland has a great increase of GDP).
Anyway my concerns are if my dream (change country for change social life) has a sense or it's just a stupid idea.

Anyway thanks for the tip!
>>
Holy fuck, this one hits deep. I am about to run away from my failure of an attempt at expat life here in Germany. I have not learned the language, I have don't yet have a proper social circle, and work is boring and unsatisfying... and it's been two years of this shit and I am afraid I will end up killing myself if I continue forcing myself to this life.

I plan to travel to Japan for a couple of months, and then return to my home country (Mootxico) and then travel there some more.
>>
Those moments, when you've settled into a routine and everything you do consists of a series of automatic responses, and your mind begins to wander into itself; that inevitable introspection where you're confronted with your own misery about how little you've ever really accomplished.

If I simply pick up and keep moving, the constant overwhelming newness doesn't afford any time for that.

It's working...For now.
>>
>>1127126
>18, dog I got when I was 5 died of cancer, took a gap year before college
Old dogs die.
>20, closest cousin got shot in the head twice
For no reason?
>20, four months later grandpa, whom I lived with, dies from complications from a heart attack at home
Old people die.
>23, girl who I was with for four years, was convinced I was going to spend the rest of my life with, leaves me
Relationships die.
>I'm 23 and have no idea how to achieve my dreams.
By going out and living each day like you're next.
>>
>>1127893
source on comic pls, I find this very understandable
>>
>>1128237
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=charisma+man
>>
>>1127941
Thanks,anon. Glad you understand. It's funny 'cause you meet a ton of hippies traveling and they're always like "happiness is in your mind". I'm working 7 days a week and don't have time to do anything that I actually care about (except hit the gym to keep myself grounded) - I know I don't have it that bad in Canada, but that isn't a standard of life that I want for myself.

>>1127947
Maybe, but it isn't the case for me. Cost of living was marginally more expensive in Australia vs Toronto. I don't work for minimum wage in Canada, but assuming that I did, I would still end up ahead in Australia. It's the same in any other Northern European country.

The fact that you can request to work less and be okay is what matters the most to me. I've realized that I'm okay with a simple life where I work 3-4 days a week, as long as I have time for my hobbies and interests and can save a little to put towards travel.

Norway, Switzerland, Austria, Sweden, Australia and Germany can all give me that quality of life if I work hard enough to emigrate.
>>
>>1127402
I recommend the SW corner of the continent. Heaps of remote beach access, slower pace, great sunsets. Climate is milder than up north. A bit of everything for whatever you may like. Party? Hiking?? Its all there.And it really feels like another country.

I don't really care to hang out in a countries "big city", they all boil down to being very similar. I remember being in Auckland and hating it. The moment I drove out a few days later, my mood soared. Roam bud!
>>
The few opportunities that are in my country, but the biggest problem is to leave the habits that takes.
>>
>>1127126
Buy a boat or find a way to serve on one.
Get around the world at least once.
Life=100%
>>
The social standards of the country try I'm in , which make it highly likely that I'll die alone. I'm trying to figure out a plan where I make enough time to visit an Asian country every year in hopes of finding a wife before it's too late
>>
Responsibility basically. It's not even the big things like work or school choosing a career path, it's the little things. It's Shopping, socialsing, keeping your apartment clean, bills, going to the gym, washing clothes, worrying about car matience. The list is endless basically.

When you're traveling things are so much more basic and worry free. You have only what's in your suitcase/backpack and that's all your really responsible for. You can do whatever the fuck you want. When I'm not traveling there are so many other things that occupy your thoughts, it's like you can't think clearly.
>>
I plan to run away from the social pressure of wasting your youth in an office and getting caught in the bubble that is normal life.

Sadly, I have absolutely no savings so it's going to be forever until i can go anywhere. I'm thinking of becoming a commercial diver in Tasmania, Australia and somehow moving there. Gonna be tough as an American though.

Fuck all this waiting.
>>
>>1126970
>tfw from a fairly big city in Florida
>Visit gf's fsmily and friends in small town Michigan
>It's totally normal and expected there to get married in your teens or early 20s to the first person you fuck
>Nobody has a career or higher aspirations, they just start working at Walmart from high school until they die
>It doesn't matter that they make ten bucks an hour, they'll knowingly plan on having multiple children born into poverty
>Teen moms EVERYWHERE (And they're white!!!), so many girls get knocked up in their teens and they'll fucking do it again and don't learn to use birth control
>Literally never leave Michigan unless to go to Disney world or some shit

The Midwest is so depressing
>>
>>1126747
I am from a military family. When I was a child, we were moving every 3 years on average. now that I'm an adult, I feel I die if I stay in one place too long.
Since my divorce, I had no reason to stay. I bought a Jeep hit the road.
>>
>>1128980
It's because he's full of shit.
>>
>>1126747
When I was 15 my dad, who was a druggy, fucked over his dealer after taking a large loan from him. Boss was a dude with too much testosterone and too small a penis and tried to kill my dad but he got admitted to a hospital for sclerosis and couldn't touch. Couldn't come up with 5k as a 15 year old but the nigger came after me then saying it was my problem. Left philly in 2003 and haven't gone back since, living in my car (I drove when I was just 15 and no license ooooooohhh)
>>
My old life.
>>
>>1129015
I deleted my post because i had shit comprehension. Sorry bout that.

I agree with everything you said. I think he's full of shit.
>>
>>1129049
How old are you now?
>>
>>1129015
Middle East probably
>>
>>1129136
>left philly in 2003
>drove when I was 15
I'm 29 this month, currently in Nebraska
>>
>>1127709

This

Had kids in my early 20s and worked every day since age 18 save for a couple of weeks each year. Am 36 now and trying to figure things out. Divorcing now and looking to not work for a year or so.
>>
File: thehorriblyslowmurderer.jpg (33KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
thehorriblyslowmurderer.jpg
33KB, 960x540px
A guy with a spoon, but wherever i go he seems to follow me.
>>
File: road-warrior-max.jpg (437KB, 1152x1600px) Image search: [Google]
road-warrior-max.jpg
437KB, 1152x1600px
>>1126747
My family was killed by post-apocalyptic bandits in Australia.
>>
3 day bump interesting thread
>>
>>1126747

Well, if the feelings that have been eating at me for the last year and a half are any indication, the next vacation I go on will be me running from a career I really don't want and a marriage that forces me to sacrifice some things I wasn't really prepared to give up.
>>
my family is unsupportive of any job that isn't 9-5 and are shitty people in general. Abusive dad growing up who still lives with us, but "got counseling." Lonely as fuck because of moving with the army + taking classes online. I keep up with old friends over steam and discord but it's not enough. Only 1 of those old friends understands why I want to travel. Spent the past 2 years in southern AZ where getting a job is next to impossible so I'm broke except for a little money I made from gambling. I'm getting my EMT cert on my parents dime in a couple months, then I'm leaving for good. I'll think staying here any longer will kill me
>>
The feeling that I will never be happy, ever.

I am currently studying in a Euopean country and about to graduate very soon if I had the motivation to do so.
There is literally nothing I am looking forward to achieve, everything those around me aspire might seem worth the effort from the outside; but I honestly cannot see any point in that if all it actually means is just sitting around in an office all day, 60 hours a week, every year of your life.
So what if that makes big money if you'll never have the time to spend it, and your to-be-ex-wife who you'll grow to hate sooner or later will take half of it anyway.

I have spent one and a half years studying abroad, and it was literally the best time of my life. Truly living the moment and enjoying it while it was lasting, knowing it all was a temporary break from the real world.

I just wanna feel that feel again.
>>
>>1131257
>So what if that makes big money if you'll never have the time to spend it, and your to-be-ex-wife who you'll grow to hate sooner or later will take half of it anyway.
Or dont marry, live below your means, retire with 40 in some warm place and spend your time doing whatever you want. Thats my plan for life.
>>
>>1130577
You're doing marriage wrong. If you're not happy talk it out, if you can't reach a comfortable compromise it's time to walk
>>
Dysfunctional family and my own dysfunctional habits.

I want to love the world, I just don't trust the world to return the kindness.
>>
File: XZ2GKmC.jpg (49KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
XZ2GKmC.jpg
49KB, 540x960px
>>1127166
120k saved up? The world is your oyster.

>>1127303
gf wont make you happy but perhaps you have to go through the experience to realize it. What about focusing solely on the money?

>>1127568
How often do you travel? 1 year work, several travel?

>>1127709
How are the kids?

>>1127941
In developed countries, happiness is a decision.

>>1128004
>but I don't know if leave my country could be the solution of my problems
Its not like you can never come back...

>>1128026
Can you still apply for Erasmus? I was hopelessly alone and only abroad I managed to land a girl

>>1128189
quality post

>>1129196
more childhood stories?

>pic perhaps related?
>>
>>1126747
Africans and arabs. I'm French btw.
>>
>>1131430
Yes m8 you run away while we stay home with you girl mom and sister

I'm Arab btw
>>
>>1131433
There needs to be a term to describe the sex life of the average muslim male.

Green Balls? C4gasmic? Keep it In the Family?
>>
>>1127166
I had similar large amounts saved up, left 8mos ago when I was 30 and still going strong. Don't try to travel for 4-5 years, you'll run out of steam long before that and start to long for stability.

Start somewhere in SE Asia, maybe Thailand, and then move on to Philippines or Indonesia. You'll get lots of attention from girls in the latter two and that will help.
>>
>>1131405
And traveling hasn't made you have faith in people yet? I left a cynical piece of shit and came back with a newfound appreciating for humanity. Less so in my home city, but still way more than before..
>>
File: 1456849105001.jpg (70KB, 604x483px) Image search: [Google]
1456849105001.jpg
70KB, 604x483px

Myself, life, I don't know.

I am 31 years old, I don't have friends, I've never had a girlfriend, I have a shit job. I tried to do many things in my free time and traveling have been one of the most fun, but at same time, one of the most painful.
It is great to see many different places and talk with many people, but somedays the loneliness hits hard. In my rotine, I don't even notice when I don't have anyboby to talk, but while traveling, doing things like eating alone in a restaurant or spend all day alone without nobody to talk, are hard to me.
I always have a bad time when i come back too. The "post travel depression", but last time I had it before the finish the trip. I spent one night in the airport and I stayed in the arrival section. I saw a lot of people receiving their friends, their family, their lovers with smile in their face, while there wont be anyone to receive me, I will just take a taxi, go home and the next day going back to work.
I don't know if I still want to keep traveling, but well, I have nothing better to do.
>>
>What are you running from?
Nothing, traveling can be a hobby
>>
>>1126970
you belgian or dutch?
>>
File: DSC04411.jpg (3MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
DSC04411.jpg
3MB, 2592x1944px
>>1131574
Oh shit, /trv/friend, you're good. I'm a Dutch-speaking Belgian, yes.
>>
>>1131589
Sorry for rotated Leopold. :(
>>
>>1131589
I'm Belgian too.
Honestly we aren't really travelers, never met any Belgian abroad while hanging out in hostels & going solo.

It's just in our culture to love routine and I fucking hate it. (pic related)

Where did you move abroad? Thinking about doing the same but only thing holding me back is family. I'd like a comfy life in tuscany tbqh
>>
>>1131574
>>1131589
>>1131659
I'm a foreigner living in Belgium and damn, you guys really are like that.
But I love you anyway.
>>
>>1126970
I think that's a decent lifestyle - getting to know the world yet sticking to your people. You see, I wouldn't mind settling back in the little town I come from, but I feel like I just don't fit it. My old friends haven't been anywhere, haven't occupied themselves with anything interesting, they're still talking about how crazy drunk they were last weekend or how this and that movie or videogame is coming out soon. I feel like an alien sometimes.
Soms berad ik mij erover, naar Vlaanderen of Nederland te verzuizen (maar dat ga ik niet echt doen).
>>
>>1131659
Given how few of you there are,compared to other countries, you'd be unlikely to meet many if you all left the country for the weekend.
>>
File: 1432414995049.png (2MB, 1809x1357px) Image search: [Google]
1432414995049.png
2MB, 1809x1357px
>>1131719
Australia has 22 million inhabitants, yet there's at least one of them in each hostel
>>
>>1131439
Yeah I think just traveling for 4-5 years straight would be too long and anyone would get burned out. My plan is to travel for about 3 months and get to Australia where I will spend 6 months in Melbourne. Then I hope to travel for a month or two around Australia and spend some time working in a rural area to get my second visa, travel some more before settling for a longer amount of time in another place. That's the first 2 years. After that I have a couple friends in Asia who I want to visit and I think I'll stay in one of the countries to teach English for a year. I can't see me burning out with my plan, I'm going to do whatever makes me happy as I go along. If I hate a place I'll keep going and if I fall in love with a location I'll stay behind for a longer amount of time to fully enjoy it.

Maybe I can even find a place to stay in forever as I don't really want to come back here, there's little for me to return to once I leave.
>>
Everything, really. My dream is to become a programmer, but i dropped out of college due to lack of motivation. Working remotely as a programmer is everything i want out of life, but i just don't know where to begin. Thinking about saving up $10k to go to a coding bootcamp, but part of me also just wants to get out ASAP.

I have a GF who isn't nearly as passionate about traveling as i am and wants to move in together soon (yeah no thanks). I have no savings yet (just started an ok job, $13/hr starting). I'm turning 21 in two days so I'm still young, but i just don't know what to do. Traveling just seems like the answer, or at least like a nice long break from the stress.

Does anyone have advice?
>>
>>1132400

Also, if i can save roughly $1500 a month, how much would you recommend i stash before going on a work visa in Aus or NZ? Buying myself 2 years to figure my shit out would be nice, Willing to split with GF over this.
>>
>>1126747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfadJj4d5K4
>>
>>1131659
Third Belgian here. When I went to Iran I actually met four on four separate occasions. Only one of them was a fellow Fleming, the other three were francophones, and they all spoke Dutch.
>>
>>1126747
My past self. I was a hateful person and I want to change, but no one believes me. I've converted to Buddhism, stopped being racist, and started to love myself. But most thought it was some sort of like, so I've decided to search for a new place to settle, somewhere I'll fit in.
>>
Having to settle down, seriously hate the thought of having a family/kids. I know most people say "having a family is more rewarding than anything" but I cannot believe that. Having the freedom to travel, see the world and do what I want is the greatest feeling for me and I just don't want to lose that. Plus I never really liked kids or having to deal with them.
>>
>>1132506
Just how much of a dick were you before for everyone to believe you're lying when you say you've changed?
>>
>>1128054
I am in the exact same situation you are, the only thing keeping me here was my family but that has gone to shit and my cousins and other relatives live all over the place so I have no reason to stay. There are no connections here for me that are compelling me to stay, no gf, my friends are international except for a few, family is busted, and no jobs. I'm visiting Germany soon for a couple of weeks to test the waters and see if I like it, I just can't do this anymore.
>>
responsibility
>>
>>1127122
>>1127094
>>1127087

Man, I can't stand even DRIVING through NE.

MN bro here. I've driven through many times on the way to Denver, Las Vegas, etc. Worst stretch of the trip, by far.
>>
>>1132403
They say you need $5000 to get a WHV (although they apparently rarely check). I think $5000 is a good sum of money to get you over there and start off before you find a job.
>>
>>1132544

Thanks, have you been before? I'm wondering if it's at all possible to save/make money while abroad in either AU or NZ, or is it simply too expensive?
>>
>>1126747
Myself.

There is no escape.
>>

The modern American lifestyle (or at least what I perceive it to be).

I'm 25, have a degree in a good field (Information Systems) and a year and a half experience working in a datacenter/MSP. I had a pretty rewarding relationship with this girl that lasted for about 5 years that recently ended. I've had sex with 13 women. I have an ever decreasing circle of slightly dweeby friends.

Mostly it's concerns of boredom and my social circle dwindling away as people either move away from this shithole.

I was born and raised in St. Louis, for those of you not from the US, it's bad. Not Norilsk bad, but violent, filled with thugs and lowlife of both races, and having a dying economy with stagnant at best wages, and little to do. No mountains, miserable weather, and the social scene is not good. Very cliquey and clannish. And when you're like me, when the group that you were a part of since high school has pretty much broken apart, that can leave you fucked.

I don't see myself being able to pursue a tech career very well here, it's all large boring medical and insurance corporations that are left.

Even of those 13 girls I've fucked, I'd say only 5 or so qualified as "hot".

I met this Indian doctor student who is here for a few months training. She's been so fun, really revitalizing. She inspired me to go for it an apply to those seasonal tech jobs down in Antarctica, and told me about how awesome Goa is. She's told me about how awful St. Louis is from an outsiders perspective and how I "deserve better".

I'm scared of losing my youth, I guess, and want to go out, make friends, have good, memorable times, because everyone here is either getting married at 23, moving to the suburbs and having kids and going on antidepressants, or shooting up or shooting each other.

I'm hoping against hope that I get that Antarctica job. I'm looking at going backpacking through Europe, visiting Ibiza, Prague, Amsterdam, Vienna, Madrid, Iceland. Goa for sure.
>>
>>1132572
I have no idea if travelling around will get me what I want (a larger social circle of actually fun, living people, and seeing pretty things) or not, but I figure it's worth trying. I'm not getting anywhere here, socially, spiritually, or career-wise.

tl;dr hometown is a depressing dump, social circle largely gone, bored. Maybe travelling fixes it. Hope so.
>>
A normal life.

> working 9-5
> 5 days a week
> coming home to screaming kids
> wife fatter and bitchier each year

So I travel from place to place instead.
>>
>>1132574

Same boat in regards to hometown. It's nice not paying rent, but living with the parents while achieving nothing is not the life for me.

Social circle is basically dead too. My best friend in high school now only comes around to smoke my weed and then he bails like 30 mins later. Fuck everything here, gotta go travel!
>>
>>1132560
No, I'm going to be in Melbourne in November. Hopefully will spend 2 years in total in Australia. My understanding is that it's easier to save money living in rural areas or small towns as where if you live in Melbourne or Sydney you'll spend most of what you make on rent and regular city living.

Where are you looking at going to?
>>
>>1132595

Two years huh? I assume you aren't American, as i can only stay for a single year, unless there is something i don't know. Do you have a job lined up? Also, are you going with anyone?

I'm alright with staying in rural areas for a while. Queensland has caught my eye because it supposedly has wonderful nature. However, city life in Australia seems like it would be interesting as well. Large cities would be between Brisbane or Melbourne. No clue what there is to do in either place though.
>>
>>1129196
I've got you now you little shit
>>
>>1132635
Most countries can get a second year WHV in Australia by working 3 months in rural areas. I think US is one of the few exceptions to this rule.

I don't have a job lined up. Before I make it there I will send out my resume to all the staffing agencies I can and hopefully I find some crappy office job soon after landing. I have about 6 years experience working in university administration.

I'm going alone.

When it comes to nature I really want to see the west coast. I hear there's a lot of interesting spots that you pretty much can spend the whole day alone in. Few people out that way.
>>
>shitty arts degree
>in mid 20s
>can't find a proper job
>working fast food
>few friends
>girlfriend left me a few months ago, we were gonna get married and have kids
>broke my heart
>she's completely fine, we work together, she laughs and jokes around with colleagues
>I'm constantly depressed
>future getting scarier and scarier
>no hopes or dreams
>decided to backpack travel because it's better than suicide
>>
>>1132774
She's probably not fine at all. 20 bucks says she cries herself to sleep.

Most women are great at keeping face.
>>
File: Gdv8Nkq.png (44KB, 658x662px) Image search: [Google]
Gdv8Nkq.png
44KB, 658x662px
I am running from my family.
>>
>>1132774
you can't just break down crying daily at work. her soul is eroding, I guarantee you. when the weight gain sets in the evidence of soul rot will become visually apparrent. but the weight gain can only set in once the depression has.

you're not alone anon. most of us are fucked in the head. 50% prescription antidepressant rate among milennials.

try teaching english in thailand or something. it's shit money but fun work, rewarding, and you get to keep traveling and learn a new language. it's better than working at starbucks.
>>
>>1132527
Back then my family started to fall apart and it ended up being just me, my father and my 3 year old brother. Quite a bit happened after with my methhead mother and my dad's "friends" turned out to be against us. After that I became this dirty Harry wannabe, trying to get everyone to leave my family alone but I ended up making things worse. One top of all of that I took out my anger on my little brother ( I never bruised him or nothing, but he became terrified of his big brother, when he needed me the most.)
>>
I don't think I'm running away from anything.

My only reason to travel is to see other people's problem and then looking at mine. I know that my problems are meaningless compared to others throughout the world.
>>
>>1132821
>50% prescription antidepressant rate among milennials.

Jesus christ. Where did you get that stat? No fucking wonder nothing is happening in this country despite shit getting worse and worse....we're all drugged up on antidepressants, video games, and porn.
>>
>>1132840
there are lots of sources for that number. it's politically charged so the numbers get manipulated both ways.

the main point that they can't cover up is that people get depressed because of the erosion of social institutions and culture, as well as crime and crushing poverty. so instead of fixing religion, families, and crime, they just drug the people who complain and/or are victims of crime.

welcome to liberal america.

I reccomend to get the fuck out. we live in a world where someone who gets stabbed by a street criminal is prescribed medication for depression and the criminal is given "rehabilitation" for trauma. cool man.
>>
I'm not particularly running to or from anything. I just like change. The anticipation, the excitement, the uncertainty.. It's fun
>>
>>1132867
Isn't this why most people choose not to move?
>>
>>1132850
Get out to where?
>>
>>1132891
I guess that depends on what you consider the problem to be. if you think the problems result from insufficient numbers of migrants and insufficient tolerance of mexicans and muslims and blacks, then lucky you, the world is your oyster.

if you think the problem is lack of communism and socialism, you're again in luck, the majority of south america and africa are heavily socialist. lucky you.

if you think the problem is lack of capitalism and common sense, unlucky you. that part of the world is dwindling.

depends on what you think the problem is. diagnose the problem, and then live with the consequences of your opinion. no one else can help you through that. of course, you could always diagnose the problem and move to the place that exemplifies the exact opposite of what you believe because it's actually safe and nice. most people do this. it reeks of cognitive dissonance though.
>>
Seems like a lot of you are travelling at least in part to try to fix broken social situations. Are any of you successful?
>>
>>1128786
This is too true senpai, I'm experiencing this right now in shitsville, Ontario. I'm just working here for the summer but I don't fucking get it. Should I feel sorry for these people? Is it a culture people are pressured into and I shouldn't pass judgments? It just seems so fucking obvious to not have children if you have no education or career prospects.
>>
>>1133240
whats your diagnosis of the porblem? born stupid? lack of access to college? simple life with no outstanding needs?

i live in a city so i joined the ratrace ecus id be homeless if i didnt. if i could work at walmart and afford a house and children i very well might work at walmart
>>
>>1133240
ontario too, whereabouts?

>>1133247
eh, a lot of friends of mine came from smalltowns. they universally hated it and the first thing they did was move to toronto and almost all of them hated their hometowns.

all the people smart enough or forward thinking enough move to major cities, the other people are comfortable with drinking or cheap thrills.
>>
>>1133255
I'm from small town Ontario too, where literally everyone says they hate this place and can't wait to get out. I find that every one of these people will follow one of three paths.

Path 1: Smart and driven, goes off to a really good school/program, then moves to Toronto/NYC/other major city after graduation. Maybe 2% of the population.

Path 2: Dumb as shit with a very small drive, or smart with absolutely no drive. Moves out west cause the grass is always greener, they work a shit job over there, and come back a few years later. Approximately 30% of the population.

Path 3: Dumb as shit, and no drive. Will be pregnant by the time they are 18, some of them make it to 21, while the rest have two kids with two different partners by 21. They are working a dead end job as well (i.e. McDonalds). This is the remaining 68%.
>>
>>1133247
I don't know, the optimist in me says that it's because a lot of these people are trapped in the poverty cycle and were raised by shitty parents who stunted their development and didn't teach them anything. The pessimist would say that some people are just naturally stronger and smarter than others. I've been thinking about it a lot and I want to believe in the former, but just as a personal anecdote, my ex girlfriend came from a wealthy family and rode horses but ended up staying in our small town and had a kid at twenty. What do you think?

>>1133255
Cornwall. I'd been warned but my job was too good to pass up. I went to high school in another sort of post-industrial rust belt style town in Quebec (Lachute), so I knew what to expect.

>>1133260
Totally agree. I imagine some of Path #2 are hurting now that the economy out there has tanked. It's sort of scary to think that only group 2 and 3 are having kids, though maybe that will change in the next decade.
>>
>>1133260
are you honestly suggesting that 98% of the population is stupid as fuck, and that only the 2% who spent 50k dollars on a liberal arts college and moved into a big city to vote for hillary clinton (justin trudeau,) whilst working for minimum wage to pay off their students loans, are the smart ones?

as much as you look down on small town people, it's safer, has LESS poverty than blue states, LESS gun crime, and lower rates of single motherhood and all the other things you complain about.

you sound hateful. or cabin feverish. I can't tell which.

>>1133303
if some people are naturally smarter than others I"m highly doubting that people in major cities are overall smarter when theres more poverty, shootings, drug abuse, single motherhood, etc.

there's a reason people are leaving california to go to texas and colorado. and there's a reason that when they leave, they bring their california problems with them.

californians and new yorkers aren't smarter than everyone else. but they do seem to be more prone to poverty and gun violence.

I don't get this hatred of small town (canada) unless you're simply jealous about LA (vancouver) nightclubs and terminally bored.
>>
>>1133313
lmao butthurt ruralfag detected.

The states with the highest poverty rate are Mississippi, Loisiana, New Mexico, Alabama, Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, West Virgina and so on. If you look at a map showing the poverty rate you'll see that the highest rates are exclusively in the south.

The leading single mother states are Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and so on.

The leading gun death rate states are Alaska, Louisiana, Mississippi and so on. Are you starting to notice a trend?

I'm not sure if you're trolling or just completely uninformed. You're also completely wrong about crime being higher in cities. Studies have shown that big cities are safer than rural areas.

I don't even really get what your point is. I don't have beef with all rural areas, there are lots of great small towns but you're completely out of touch with what's going on. The town I'm living in right now for work is objectively shit and is a much worse place to live than a city like Ottawa or Toronto. A survey recently placed the city I'm living in now as among the worst in Canada while Ottawa was ranked the best place to live of over 200.

Sources:

http://www.povertyusa.org/the-state-of-poverty/poverty-map-state/#

http://www.statista.com/statistics/242302/percentage-of-single-mother-households-in-the-us-by-state/

http://www.vpc.org/press/states-with-weak-gun-laws-and-higher-gun-ownership-lead-nation-in-gun-deaths-new-data-for-2014-confirms/

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/other/surprise-big-cities-safer-small-towns-study-finds-f6C10713797
>>
>>1133317
>mississippi, louisiana, albama, texas, oklahoma, virginia
I notice that there's lots of blacks in these states and if you take out the blacks the whites actualy have lower rates of divorce and poverty and gun violence than whites in the eastern
seaboard.

you probably can't find single red state without blacks that is as dangerous or impoverished as california

again, these sorts of reasons are precisely why blue staters actively move to "redneck hick ignorant gun toting" red states like nevada, utah, colorado, and texas. because they are more educated, safer, less impoverished, with fewer broken homes.
>>
>>1133313
That 2% I'm taking about go off to get legit degrees and land solid positions doing investment banking, trading, or something business or programming related at a tech start up.

I may sound hateful because I somewhat am, and that is because what I said isn't too far off from the reality of my town.

I wish some more people had a desire to do something with their lives. That doesn't mean go get a finance degree then sell your soul to the devil afterwords, but at least have some aspirations to see the world or do something exciting. The majority of people here don't try to find anything more than a minimum wage job, get pregnant before they should (often multiple times), rely on government handouts for the rest of their lives, and will literally only leave town once a year, which happens to be a day trip to Toronto. It's sad desu.
>>
>>1133323
that's exactly how everyone lives, all acros the world.

those diverse places where people wear funny clothes and beat their wives, and you take pictures of them with a big smile and a thumbs up? they're just as boring and ignorant.

those left wing areas in vancouver? they're just as poor, they spend all their money on rent, they recieve handouts, they're just as uncurious as you, or your neighbors.

it's really obvious you suffer from severe envy. try to be a little more tolerant. we all end up n the same place. when you're married at 40, barely fertile and so you squirt out a single kid before getting testicular cancer, and your kid is a teenager and he yells at you for being intolerant of hindu goat-people transsexuals, and he says your music is stupid, and he runs out of the house to marry ongowutu his papuan trans lover, I guarantee your cosmopolitanism will not make you less unhappy, trip X you took will not soothe your pain.

let ruralfags be rural. don't hate them for it. canadian culture is unique too. you're just too full of youthful anger to see it.
>>
>>1133333
Severe envy of what?
>>
File: Stone-Walls-of-the-Aran-Islands.jpg (133KB, 800x522px) Image search: [Google]
Stone-Walls-of-the-Aran-Islands.jpg
133KB, 800x522px
>>1133320
Don't know where people get this idea that poverty equals third word chaos.
That comes from culture.
>>
>>1132900
Wouldn't say successful but it's a lot easier to hang out with people when traveling even if it's for a few days or hours than it is back home. Not sure how it is for others here but for me having someone to talk to for a couple of days is better than not having anyone to talk to (outside of coworkers) for months.
>>
>>1133344
a combination of high population, rapid change, poverty and culture
>>
>>1133529
Is that with other travellers or with natives?
>>
>>1126747
Preparing to run from war, nuclear holocaust in worst case.
Getting ready to run from surveillance state.
>>
>>1132595
Not this at all. The money's in the cities. Sydney is more expensive than Melbs so you'll save less but I would absolutely against going rural... Especially for farmwork. Dont fall in that trap or take this guys advice /I'm sure you mean well, anon)
>>
>>1132900
Sort of. I came back happier and a lot wilder... And more open with my intentions of wildness. People were always drawn to me but not the ones like I've met traveling. Since I've been back, I've been meeting more traveler type people and I'm glad. It takes time, though. I think people forget to act at home like they do when they're traveling. I used to be so controlled... Now I don't give a fuck and I'm a lot more impulsive and people love me for it.
>>
>>1133677
In hostels it's other travelers. Nothing like a Canadian hanging out with a Brit in Germany, right?

But I've also had some luck meeting locals as well. My biggest issue is the language barrier as I traveled a lot to latin america without speaking Spanish.
>>
Any other /trv/ellers feel that they fucked their shit up? I'm 21 and going on a month long trip soon. Just finished university and have a bit of money saved up as well as a job sorted abroad starting at the end of summer. I'm exactly where I wanted to be at the end of unviersity. No wife or long term girlfriend, no kids and financially stable. I have the opportunity to work abroad and travel for extended periods of time which is what I have always really wanted to.

But I feel very empty. Met the girl of my dreams at 19, we stayed together for one year but then I let her go as she wanted big commitments (marriage/kids quickly). I let her go so that I could puruse my interest to travel with nothing to tie me down. Did I make the right choice? Sure I'm looking forward to this one month solo trip coming up soon (which I wouldn't have been able to do if I had got married to her etc), but I'm also kind of thinking that I could be enjoying dat comfy life with her of bbqs and going to the park. I loved that girl and I know there will be others but I feel kind of stupid letting the perfect one for me slip through my fingers.

Any older anons been in a similiar situation? How do you feel now looking back?
>>
>>1134037

Man, you know there will be the one that makes you think, "Ok, time to lock this one down because she just fucking rules." And though that time will come, just know that it will not be the "comfy life" you expect. You will fight, you will feel miserable at times,and you will find yourself wondering where on earth you COULD be at that time, or what that money you just had to drop on diapers and a crib COULD have bought you in Thailand (diving, exploration, top tier food, etc.)

I say get the travel bug out of your system completely before committing, even if she's apparently down with travelling with you. Live first, evolve yourself, and then commit.
>>
I asked this question to a girl I met from another board. I never got an answer beyond "I don't know".
>>
>>1134037
Dude this isn't 1960, people don't marry at 20 anymore. It's your life, live it as best you can.
>>
>>1134037
depends on what makes her the girl of your dreams

you will travel abroad, and eventually you will get tired of it, and a very explorative person will make the new place his home, instead of his old home, but you will NEVER travel forever.

if she was really the one, you fucked up. depends on why she was the one.

you won't die peacefully simply because on your deathbed you'll remember some island you saw. our lives aren't just a collection of experiences, nad anyone who simply tels you to collect experiences has simply graduated from autistic action figure collections to travel collections. don't be stupid. don't throw away the valuable things in your life in exchange for something you won't even care about in ten years.

I'm a little older. when you lose "the one" you LOST the one. I have tons of sex, but no one will ever replace someone special. no sex will fill the hole, no plane ticket.

anyone that tells you otherwise is advice you should stay away from, because it's the advice of some teenager who still hasn't tasted the world, who obesses about travelt he way a teenager obsesses about sex. you don't tkae advice from people like that.
>>
>>1126747
Escaping my people and their culture
I was born in arab muslim country, I read a lot and became atheist when I turned 16, I don't hate how I look or how I sound or anything, I just hate the muslim culture and the stupid shit we have to go through because of a faggot bedouin who died 1400 years ago.
>>
>>1133320
As someone who has lived a good part of my life in Orange County California I find your idea of an "impoverished California" pretty laughable.
>>
>>1134095
I wish I had read this before I let her go
>>
>>1126747
I'm trying to get away from the ball and chain that is my family where when my aunt and uncle dies I'm supposed to take care of my Fat, Gay, Autistic, Pedophile cousin because I'm his best friend
>>
File: tumblr_o3qjdyVZJF1rn7bzro1_500.gif (777KB, 460x259px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o3qjdyVZJF1rn7bzro1_500.gif
777KB, 460x259px
>>1132572
I am from STL, left for uni in 2003, left the US in 2005...I come back to STL for 3 weeks every year and see my folks and old high school friends. Honestly, it is a great place to raise a family but if you are single and/or want a new/larger circle of friends than you had in highschool move out man. move to a city with lots of newly arrived young like austin, denver, nyc, portland or SF. At least it wont be as clicky.

save 10k, hit the 2yr mark on the job for the resume and try to pay off any debts then peace out once you secure a new job in another city. (this may require you to fly in for interviews and burn your vacation days to do so).

pic unrelated
>>
I don't know.
I just drive.
>>
Nothing. I just want to see beautiful places.

>>1128632
>Fuck all this waiting.

iktf. Felt like my whole college career was wasted just waiting for it to be over. I was a fucktard and went in-state to be responsible and get savings. What a mistake. I should have moved somewhere fantastic for uni. Well now it's over anyway. I was thinking of waiting until I get a job (I have 6 months savings so idgaf) before I travel but fuck it. I have time now, why not go?

>>1127069

Why don't you move permanent-like bro? I hated where I was born so I moved as soon as fiscally possible.

>>1132511

Also know that feel. I hate the idea of being cemented to one place with a house. I'd rather just one-year at this or that apartment and retain my freedom, which is the most important thing to me. Fuck kids, fuck pets, fuck houses and yards and a ton of junk. I'm catsitting right now and the cat is cute, but holy fuck is it needy and annoying. In the end, I guess I'm about as loving and caring as a snake. I don't want to get tied down.
>>
>>1132821
>50% prescription antidepressant rate among milennials.

>mfw crippling depression and anxiety all my life
>family were too poor to see a shrink, didn't care enough about me to ask why I seemed not to be happy
>never got a script for anything, no record of mental issues on paper

Dodged a bullet. One benefit of having poorfag, neglectful parents.

>>1134520

Why waste two years of your life? Go now. Live out of a hostel, take any work you can get. It ain't pretty but it's better than living somewhere you hate.
>>
>>1126747
Homeland security
>>
>>1126772
I avoided that by switching from English to finance. I love English but I have to be realistic with my goals as I cant travel forever. But if you love being abroad then just stay man
>>
>>1134146
lucky you. you live in a good part. I wish I was fucking stupid enough to be ableto ignore statistics. you're a lucky man.

>>1134155
depends. I've seen as many people ruin their lives by thinking a really, really bad girl was the one, as guys who gave up the one.

you might not even know until after. depends on how smart you are.
>>
>>1134037
If she is gone and there's no way to get her back, it doesn't make sense to dwell on something you can no longer change. And you'll know if you made the right decision in a few years, when you track her down again and see if she's maintained her niceness.
>>
>19
>religious parents threaten to kick me out
>find out my dad cheated on my mom

And that's how I'm going to finally be able travel to Iceland this October

Also, #OP I'm running from a predictable lifestyle. I just yearn for independence and just don't have enough funds to provide that
>>
Nothing. I am pretty happy these times.
Recently I met a girl through a mutual friend and we established a long distance relationship. Let's just say I live on one side of Europe and she lives on the other side of Europe, a three hour flight away.
Our relationship is very loving and we are going to meet each other in Rome next week.

Life is not a car where you are the driver. Live just happens and it is up to you how to cope with what happens to you. I am majoring in two degrees in what the Americans ITT would call 'useless degrees' and I have no career plans yet. My parents are not rich and I will be in debt 30k after university. I will just see what happens. All major events in your life are outside of your control. Realize this, and happiness will come sooner of later.
>>
File: 1465742496432.png (281KB, 535x466px) Image search: [Google]
1465742496432.png
281KB, 535x466px
Rejection
>>
The weight of responsibilities
>>
>>1126747
Monotony.
>>
>>1126770
Same also I have nothing else going on in my life, I'm 31 and live at home. No gf or career prospects, I figure if I'm going to drift I may as well do it somewhere more interesting than suburbia. The downside is that I bring myself wherever I go.
>>
>>1133320
WE ARE WEST VIRGINIA NOT WESTERN VIRGINIA
WE ARE A STATE
LOOK AT A MAP
YOU
STUPID
FUCK
>>
>>1135632
Not to mention our black population is like 2%
Go back to /pol/
>>
>>1134129

Damn, that's heavy.
>>
>>1134037

I treated a girl so badly when I was 19, I dumped her and afterwards I realised I really liked her and wished I could go back.

Out of the blue one day 5 years later she emailed me and we reconnected and we started dating again. We went out for 3 years. It turns out she wasn't the one and we split again.

The idea you have of someone is illusory. There is no one. You need to get over this concept of there being "the one". Try and connect with as many people as you can. Eventually someone special will arise.

I recently connected with a girl in a way that I hadn't in a long time...alas she had a long term bf, but the connection was real and who knows if we may meet down the line.
>>
>>1127303
>I have a vague dream of being like a high level technical writer or something and living in some modernist cabin in the northwest with a qt and a dog and making good money from infrequent work and spending a lot of time reading and writing and listening to music and cooking and hiking and working on our house and our garden. and being a really strong, smart, kind, articulate, person, and just basically always being active and never getting overwhelmed by problems and enjoying the beauty of nature and another person aaaaand /faggyblog

sounds less vague than you let on...get after son!
>>
>>1135649
>existence is illusory
>feelings are illusory
>morals are illusory
>importance is illusory
>better give up and just do the hedonistic thing
>the special thing you had wasn't special, because special doesn't exist. but a special thing can arise... someow.
the idea that someone can arise in the future, but could not have arisen in the past is kind of dumb. what exactly do you think feeds into that feeling? it's youth. if you don't find something n your youth, you CANT refind it when you're older. that's like a pathetic mid life crisis babyboomer buying a sports car.

important things DO exist, you can find them, and you should hang onto them. if they didn't, we'd all just do drugs and fuck hookers.
>>
File: buddhabeam.png (336KB, 499x449px) Image search: [Google]
buddhabeam.png
336KB, 499x449px
I'm terrible with women have no ability to flirt/self confidence

I keep thinking that I'll lose that fear abroad

I'm also a non-virgin and can talk to girls and make them laugh I just can't flirt and I assume no girls are into me because of low self esteem and no ability to read signals
>>
>>1135661
>give up and just do the hedonistic thing
>>the special thing you had wasn't special, because special doesn't exist. but a special thing can arise... someow.

You added the first one and twisted the other one.

existence is not illusory...projections are though.

>If they didn't, we'd all just do drugs and fuck hookers.

They don't and no we don't.
Speak for yourself.
>>
>>1136404
I didn't twist wha you said, what you said was
"there is no the one"
"the one will eventually arise"

this is what you said. the one does not arise. the one is created by social circumstance and life experience. much of which is fixed and determined by early life events. humans are not infinitely malleable.

>they don't exist
you say this, but then you you turn around and think it's just magical, out of thin air, that htese things come from. you deny the fact that humans operate on concrete principles. but an arbitrary principle isn't a principle. it's you engaging in lazy thinking. if a special person never exists, categorically, she cannot come to be.

which is it? if special people DO exist, then it's not by arbitrarily flexible principles. theres a human element to it. but you insist that they simultaneously don't exist, AND their creation is arbitrary. how old are you?

you must be very, very confused.
>>
>>1135661
>>1136404
You guys remind me of my community college philosophy 101 course 5 years ago.
>>
>>1136410
>"there is no the one"
>"the one will eventually arise"

I said

>someone special will arise.

Learn how to accurately read before anything else.
>>
>>1135661
>important things DO exist, you can find them, and you should hang onto them. if they didn't, we'd all just do drugs and fuck hookers.

but, that pretty much IS all I do..
>>
Remember, there's no geographical solution for an emotional problem.
>>
>>1126747
Crippling, six-figure, student loan debt. (I'm American).
>>
saving this thread
>>
File: samsonite-1982-21.jpg (554KB, 1298x1600px) Image search: [Google]
samsonite-1982-21.jpg
554KB, 1298x1600px
Life back in town feels shallow. I feel like my friends and family are stuck in a state of mind that I don't want to be, they just do the same all the time of the year. I want to create stuff and surround myself with creative people that have the flaming passion to create anything, artists, musicians, travellers. I guess I just want to flee from a boring life.
>>
I'll preface by saying I live in a first world country. However, I grew up poor with an abusive father and legal problems.

I always feel like a fraud, like a placeholder for a real person. At college, I always felt out place and just went through the motions. I had a girlfriend, but I just didn't care for her anymore and broke up. I had a decent office job, but I resigned for no reason. I don't like going out. I just want to stay in bed.

But all that's different when I'm traveling. I look forward to every minute of my life. I love being outside. I love walking around. I love meeting people. I love being friendly. I love helping those in need. I love flirting. I love being me.

I like engaging with the world when I'm traveling. They're seeing the layer of me that I'm most proud of.
>>
at first I was running from my responsibilities, but after a short chain of events I find myself preparing to travel in order to run towards what could be considered a responsibility.

It'll probably end in tears and failure but I'll be damned if I don't try
>>
>>1139233
pretty beautiful post, m8.
>>
>>1139233
What prevents you from being "you" at home?
>>
>>1139233
hits close to home m8. I grew up in a normal family but still ended up like this though.
Great post

>>1139396
not him, but honestly no idea. On holidays I'm super outgoing & actually do stuff. At home I care too much about everything and I just dumb myself down by acting polite with everyone. People seem to only see me as an NPC here.
>>
>>1126747
Myself.

The bastard always seems to find me.
>>
Unemployment.
>>
Seasonal depression. Eternal boredom that permeates every facet of my life

Sometimes when I'm abroad, I'll be in a museum or walking down a Cory street and realise its caught up with me and I'd rather just be back in bed with Windwaker and some tea

I pretend that I'm connected to the travellers i meet like we're all free spirits and have a great bond but in reality I wouldn't want to see 90% of them again
>>
>>1139396
There is nothing stopping me from being the same here, but it's different.

You start getting complacent after working day in and day out. Before you know it, your weekends are spent eating takeouts and torrenting movies. You explore your city and hang out with new people, but you start getting lazy and less likely to try new things. You see friends starting families and you wonder if your life is off track. A cocoon slowly creeps up around you.

I have to say, counseling and medication help. Talking to other people passionate about traveling helps too.

I like to think once I resolve my underlying issues, traveling will be way more enjoyable.
>>
I'm estranged from mentally ill parents. I'm a highschool dropout who watches his friends succeed and further their lives everyday.

I use to be a prolific traveler who made the mistake of getting married. The woman I married became a "career woman" focused on school. I never see her and she seems to have become distant/cold to any attempts at participating together in life.
I do not believe she is cheating but it wouldn't necessarily surprise me.
Almost every day I have this day dream I leave the country for some small town in rural Asia/Europe. I would own a bike shop and spend my leisure time racing in velodromes.

I have this dream almost every day. I think to myself "today's the day I do it" but here I am posting about it to you guys.
>>
>>1139587
Do you have kids? Why not break up with your wife?
>>
Lived for 8 years with very few friends, most Friday/Saturday nights watching Netflix or reading the Internet alone until I felt sleepy, just like any other night. I'd have a good time maybe once or twice a month.

I had a really high-paying job and ended up just paying to fuck non-pro college girls all the time to amuse myself. Was fun.

Got so tired of it all that I wasn't trying at all at work any longer and that was going downhill too, so I decided to quit and travel for a while.

I've been gone 8 months already, have had the time of my life, still have more than enough savings to keep going 1-2 more years if I wanted. But now travel is getting tiring and I have to face going back to reality. You can't run forever.
>>
>>1139590
Luckily I do not have kids. It's a tough decision to leave. The optimist in me says "if I just try harder things will be better" but reality says different. It wasn't always like this of course. Leaving her would be very difficult and I don't believe its a black and white decision.

I've made a good life for myself by many standards but its not the life I really wanted. I'm taking steps in the right direction. Hopefully a welding certification will net me a better job to move forward.

I'm 27 so I still have some time to start my life over. Just trying to make sure I approach it rationally without burning too many bridges.

I miss traveling. Today was a particularly rough day at work and it really pushed me to the edge. Sometimes it's nice to speak(type) out loud. Even if my voice is just noise on the internet.
>>
>>1139608
Become a freelance welder. Help fix whatever people need fixed, surely you can do that.
>>
whats the plan once u stop?
>>
>>1139601
whats the plan when u stop running?
>>
Running from routine, mediocrity, memories from my ex, being restless.

Going to Peru for 1,5 month and explore a whole different country is what I'm looking forward to a lot. On my own, just deciding what I would like to do at day X or day Z.

Also gathering motivation for hopefully a nice job I would start in October.
>>
File: hero of your own novel.jpg (516KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
hero of your own novel.jpg
516KB, 1920x1080px
>>1126747
>>1126747
the crushing realization that i'm not going to fit in and be normal like everyone else. it's not for lack of trying, and while i hate giving up, i like saying that when one door closes a thousand more open.

i'm 33 now. i had my chance at a normal life and i tried to make it work. mostly to appease family and friends (all 3 of them). i recently landed a job on a fishing boat in alaska working the bering sea so i'll be able to save a good chunk of money since all my food, laundry, lodging, etc are paid for.

in the back of my head i always knew that this was coming. i may have subconsciously sabotaged myself into getting into this situation and if that's the case then i'm very thankful for that. i've always felt that it's a shame that no one has adventures anymore and takes themselves outside of their comfort zones. i don't hate myself for being different and i don't hate society for not bending to my personal wants - i just look at it as a bad relationship and it's time to cut the cord on it. maybe keep in touch every now and then with a concert and a few beers and catching up, but outside of that, it's best for both of us.

i want to live a life worth writing songs and books about. i find that very hard to do while living in the suburbs and being tied to a 9-5 job. no offense to those that do it, and good on 'em for it - but it just isn't for me.
>>
America, family, boredom, mediocrity
Thread posts: 237
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.