[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>clapping when your airplane lands why do people do this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8

File: planeland.jpg (125KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
planeland.jpg
125KB, 1600x900px
>clapping when your airplane lands
why do people do this?
>>
File: 1464286606746.png (1MB, 900x1174px) Image search: [Google]
1464286606746.png
1MB, 900x1174px
>>
File: final destination.jpg (229KB, 960x1440px) Image search: [Google]
final destination.jpg
229KB, 960x1440px
>>1124457
This has only happened to me once and I couldn't believe it.

But I think the reason is you flew on a plane with a lot of people from either an American family reunion, or school trip with young students.
>>
>>1124464
>clapper detected
>>
>>1124465
nope
i've been on flights by myself and people insist on clapping
>>
>>1124457
It's quite random. I took US flights and they don't clap all the time, and I sometimes take Euro flights in which they clap. And the flight wasn't even shaky or bad, or anything special.

Just like >>1124465 , very likely because there are families and/or students traveling together and they tend to be in a happier mood, clapping and laughing over anything.
And cheerful drunk people, too.
>>
>>1124471
i guess i can understand kids or people who are afraid of flying, but i've sat next to people who basically feel asleep the entire duration of the flight and clapped

like stop, its not a movie or some roller coaster, cut it out
>>
I've had people clapping at the end of every one of the 5 flights I've taken, and I'm an euro.
It's just a tradition, I guess.
>>
>be 10 years old
>going to disneyland with family
>plane from vancouver to LA
>start clapping when plane lands
>the whole plane joins in
>mfw
>>
>>1124472
>or some roller coaster
Why would you clap on a rollercoaster?
>>
>>1124478
well mostly the ride operators clap at the end of the ride and most people join it
>>
>>1124465
It is not just Americans. I fly internally in Russia on aeroflot semi regularly and there is always people clapping when we land. Every fucking time.
>>
>>1124485
Guess they clap out of joy for having survived.
>>
>>1124488
Heh.

Northern Italians do it sometimes. Southern Italians do it all the time. No clue why.
>>
>>1124481
Really? I don't remember that happening to me.
>>
>>1124507
depends where you go?
>>
I've taken maybe 60-70 flights over the last couple years and I've only heard people clap maybe two or three times. One was after a flight from Detroit to NYC with extreme turbulence, so I can understand.
>>
>>1124457
same reason amerifats clap during fireworks, and after a movie and after every 2nd joke during comedy performances.

It's the only excercise their fat asses get.
>>
>>1124457
Americans clap when a flight lands because it didn't end up in one of their national monuments
>>
>>1124685
When did a plane ever crash into a Burger King?
>>
>>1124465
When flying does anyone else check the table tray because of this film?
>>
File: image.jpg (81KB, 598x716px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81KB, 598x716px
>tfw every single flight in my life was nyc to dominican republic once every two years.
>tfw clapping every single time
>go to japan after saving for a year in highschool.
>clapped 3 motions before getting the stink eye from some nip i clearly woke up.
>>
I saw it a few times then it stopped five years ago and it happened a few weeks ago

I used to start clapping just to see if it would make other people join in, it always worked
>>
>>1124457
Because they are stupid!
>>
File: here.png (123KB, 621x443px) Image search: [Google]
here.png
123KB, 621x443px
>>1124457
I guess they are getting carried away?
>>
>>1124485
>>1124485
I have only been on one flight that clapped and it was a flight from Moscow to Rome. So either >>1124485 is right or >>1124501 is right. Never have seen it on a US or Asian flight.
>>
>Flight atendant here
Clapping always happens going into eastern europe or Latin America. Sometimes Spain, Portugal or southern Italy.

If it's full of british passengers, there will most definitely NOT be any clapping.

Why do they clap? No clue. Happy to be on the ground safely? End of a flight? The beginning of getting out of the aircraft? Doesn't really bother me though, as long as they don't get up if the aircraft is still taxing.

Taking off and landing are the most critical phases of flight and I must confess landings still make me a little bit nervous, specially on bad weather. I don't think they know that though
>>
>>1124457
The only times I've seen this were after rough landings of some sort or another.

The only time I've joined in was on a landing at KL where the plane was caught in a rainstorm with crosswinds and was swerving left and right as we approached the runway, at only about 150m above the ground, we were actually not even lined up on the runway. It was the diciest landing I've ever experienced.

I was watching rain go sideways outside the window and the runways going back and forth and wondering how the fuck the pilot was going to get us down. I guess Air Asia pilots are used to it.
>>
When i first time to do a inland flight in russia i encountered it. The old Russians were all smiling and clapping. Some young Russians clapped too. The vibe was so good.
>>
>>1125085
>If it's full of british passengers, there will most definitely NOT be any clapping.
True, you usually just get some muted sighs of relief that the plane didn't crash
>>
I feel weird being somebody who doesn't actually mind it. I feel it's unncessary, but I don't loathe it, and I've seen people from various different nationalities and races do it.
>>
>>1125085
Note those are all places with warmer, more emotional, extroverted, cultures.

You non-clappers break the ice from your cold dead hearts. Where is your vivere vive, or whatever that shit is called. Your joy to be alive
>>
>>1125168
Except they do it in Russia and eastern Europe...
>>
>>1125075
kek

>>1125168
>joie de vivre
is what you mean
>>
Does that behaviour not fly with you?
>>
>>1125215
They seem pretty extroverted to me. Have you very seen where they fall on the culture scale? Like you learn about in international business classes? I can't recall off the top of my head.
>>
>>1124457
omfg I'm so glad someone is bring this up. I've been to most of Europe and Asia, and I've been to the US 3 times, and on every flight to the US, everybody clapped when the plane landed. Why is this a thing?
>>
American here. Only time I have seen clapping on planes is a bunch of Germans upon arriving in Barcelona.

The real question we need to ask is why do Germans say hello to everyone in the waiting room at the doctor's office? And then everyone says hello back?
>>
>>1124457
Not clapping, but I was on a flight into Brisbane recently with some turbulence during the landing. Felt like the plane was wafting up and down, and I'm pretty sure the landing gear(s) made contact with the runway, lifted off, and then we landed properly.

Naturally a bunch of Aussies waved their hands in the air like they were on a roller coaster.
>>
>>1125285
>The real question we need to ask is why do Germans say hello to everyone in the waiting room at the doctor's office? And then everyone says hello back?
Being polite, I guess. Whenever I smile at strangers out in public though, they either look away or look really pissed off. Germans are very selective with their niceness apparently.
>>
>>1124472
Who the fuck claps at the end of a movie? its not like the actors or director can hear you
>>
>>1125168
>if you are not an extrovert you have a cold dead hearts

Clapping when a plane lands is even more idiotic than clapping in a cinema.
>>
So what is exactly wrong with clapping?
>>
>>1125443
>he clapped the last time he flew
Nothing if you have Down's Syndrome.
>>
>>1124457
I've seen it happen twice. Once in a plane landing in Cancun after hours of delays getting there. when everybody was in a "WELL THAT'S FINALLY OVER AND VACATION STARTS NOW" mood, and once in China when the Chinese passengers applauded politely for reasons that I do not understand but presumably had to do with good Communist appreciation for a job well-done..

That out of dozens of flights a year. for dozens of years... so the answer to your question is, "They don't."
>>
>>1125422
That used to be the expected thing, though. Just because that;'s what you were supposed to do in a theater. I guess.
>>
File: image.jpg (243KB, 339x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
243KB, 339x500px
>>1124457
Because 9/11 2.0.
>>
I was never a clapper but back in the 80s it was customary to clap. As flights became more common place it became less and less usual.

Flying is no longer special, just a fucking pain.
>>
>grow up looking up at the planes above
>want to be a pilot so bad
>work hard, finally make it
>romantic images of flying around helping families get home and go vacation
>one particular day...
>high crosswind
>dangerous landing
>have to circle around again to keep these families safe
>a drop of sweat rolls past the temple and brow
>successfully land
>no clapping
>some asshole complains we had to circle for a minute while people exit plane
>feelunapreciated.png

Because sometimes it's nice to show appreciation for people who literally have your lives in their hands.
Are you unemployed or something? Don't you know what it's like to work and have people be polite?
>>
>>1125447
I actually never have, or never have seen it, barring clapping on take off after a long delay. But why does seeing others express joy cause you sorrow?
>>
File: 1254855622614.png (41KB, 165x98px) Image search: [Google]
1254855622614.png
41KB, 165x98px
>>1125534
Second to last time I flew, was on a very delayed flight to Philadelphia, where, once we arrived, I was pretty much certain to miss my last-connecting-flight-of-the-night to Charlotte.

Captain comes on the PA, "Uhhhhhhh, ladies and gentlemen, uhhhhhhhh, we have been informed that the uhhhhhhhhhh US Customs has closed for the night in Piladelphia, and we are diverting to uhhhhhhhhh Charlotte.

There was some vigorous clapping from the 20-or-so people on the plane bound for Charlotte. Also a bit of cheering. I even saw a high five exchanged.

And then we all felt sheepish as Hell because, of course, going to Charlotte was not what the rest of the passengers wanted. But since it was very late, and everybody except those going to Philly were missing connections anyway, they were remarkably tolerant about it.

>MFW, upon clearing customs. I saw our pilots had also cleared and were headed for the hotel, as I thought of our erstwhile plane-mates...
>>
>>1124488
They're glad they didn't get shot down by a BUK
>>
maybe because landing is actually a controlled crash, and they're thankful everything went well?
>>
>>1124468
Read that post again, and use some reading comprehension.
>>
>>1124702
kek
>>
>>1125529
i would clap
>>
I don't see what's wrong with clapping if the person performing the act can see or hear you. It doesn't make sense with movies because of the fact that the people who worked on it aren't in the room. Unless some pilot wants to say otherwise, I'd assume that they appreciate the thanks.
>>
When I was a child I remember the whole plane clapping every time.

Lately its been mostly one or two people awkwardly starting with noone else joining in.
>>
I always thought they were clapping for the pilot and crew when they do a good job or just generally brings the passengers safe to the destination
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.