[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have never traveled to S.E.A. though I have been just about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 42

File: Angkor.Wat.original.853.jpg (78KB, 679x473px) Image search: [Google]
Angkor.Wat.original.853.jpg
78KB, 679x473px
I have never traveled to S.E.A. though I have been just about everywhere else in the world. I think it's finally time for me to head over, though I may be on a very tight budget. $2,000 for two weeks, including flight out from Los Angeles.

Originally I wanted to visit Singapore, Thailand, and Cambodia; but now it looks like I will just have to limit that to Thailand.

Does /trv/ have any good hostel recommendations? By good I mean either: really clean, excellent location, or good party scene; I don't expect to find all three qualities in one place, just want to let everyone know I'm open to different views and definitions of 'good'

Tell me about your best and worst food experiences

and the best sights to see or locales you enjoyed most
>>
File: gmember.jpg (20KB, 316x321px) Image search: [Google]
gmember.jpg
20KB, 316x321px
>>1116943
>good hostel
Speak Easy in bangkok
>good food
panaeng
>bad food
stay away from their pizza
>best experience
see the big buddha at wat po
>>
File: s21.jpg (1MB, 1728x1296px) Image search: [Google]
s21.jpg
1MB, 1728x1296px
>>1116943
>limited to thailand
>posts picture of cambodia
>>
>>1116943
Your money would go farther in Cambodia
>>
>>1117048
he'll have more fun in thailand more fun on just about any budget tho desu
>>
>>1117055
By what measure? Cambodia is like Thailand 20 or 30 years ago. Blow up cows, $20 personal orgies, drugs without getting out under the jail, you have Anglo Way for historical stuff. If money wasn't an issue I'd say Thailand is more fun, and a better value. But Cambodia is more fun dollar for dollar.
>>
File: outer aw.jpg (1MB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
outer aw.jpg
1MB, 2304x1728px
>>1117048
>>1117055
two sides of the same coin. just depends on what you want people to assume when you tell them where you went

>thailand
get drunk, fuck ladyboys (not necessarily in that order)
>cambodia
see ancient wonders of the world and reflect on man's inhumanity to man
>>
>>1117059
and just to be clear you can do all those things in both countries,
>>
thai food is better
>>
File: feel-good.jpg (269KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
feel-good.jpg
269KB, 600x600px
>>1117061
i loved cambodia, but fucking this. cambodian food is nothing but lemongrass, palm sugar and fish sauce, and it was delicious for 2 1/2 days, and then i was absolutely sick of it. thank god for aussie expats knowing how to make french toast, pic related
>>
>>1117061
Considering that Thai food is the best in the world, I'd say this is a given.
>>
>>1117059
I'm sure Cambodia has it's fair share of trannies too, anon.
>>
>>1117083
a) reread the second sentence of my post
b) see >>1117060
>>
>>1116943
Thailand has just as many temples to visit as Cambodia, no need to obsess over Angkor.
>>
>>1116943
>including flight out from Los Angeles.
So then you've got $1,100 for two weeks because the flight to BKK will cost you $900.
>>
Here's my vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-w7wh8C8Yo
>>
>>1116943
Ipartied more in town than I did back at any of the hostels
>>
If you want the city scene just stick with Bangkok. Phnom Penh is fun but it's not a big city.

Don't underestimate Khmer street food. Lot's of good stuff everywhere if you know what to look for.
>>
What's the beach place people talk about in Cambodia? I think it starts with an "s". Maybe ends with ville. I have heard good things about it.
>>
>>1117485
sihanouk, i believe.

didn't make it all the way to the coast when i was there.
>>
>>1117480
When were you in Bangkok? Did you stay in a hostel?
>>
>>1117489
I have heard this plays tops Thailand in fun and debauachery
>>
>>1116943
Have you considered the Philippines, OP?
>>
>>1117493
OP here

No I haven't, I have a few friends who love to travel and went to the Philippines last year. They told me it was the worst place they've ever visited--and given how easy they are to please I take this to mean that it was absolutely shit.
>>
>>1117061
agreed, didn't mind cambodian food - just seemed to be a mix of neighbouring countries cuisine, but not as flavorful or interesting.
>>
>>1117485
>>1117492
Sihanoukville. I was there in March for a few days. Before going, I read pretty much an even split of online reviews between people who hated it and loved it, so I wasn't really sure what to expect.

I believe it's the only real beach scene in the country, LOTS of young party people. The beach is basically a line of bars, huge party scene. I would recommend walking a good 15-20 minutes away from the docks, this area has some nice places you can setup for the day without being surrounded by people and hassled by beach merchants. I would also avoid the beach on the weekends, absolutely packed end to end with locals (and tourists of course).

It's a pretty good beach, but it doesn't really compare to some of the gems in Thailand, it is much much cheaper though. Some people take a boat to Koh Rong and stay there for a bit, didn't end up going since it was kind of expensive and we didn't budget a ton of time in the area, plus had already been to Phi Phi, Tao and what not in Thailand previously.

Some of the places had $0.25 beers, cheapest I've ever had, anywhere. A few good restaurants. If you're super into partying, I would probably go, if you're not - then maybe a couple days max. It's also not too bad of a bus ride to Thailand, so that's always nice. Definitely wouldn't classify it as a destination, but if you're in Cambodia and want some beach time, or heading to Thailand and want a detour, go for it. I like to drink, but I don't get fucked up and I still had a good time.
>>
>>1117489
never heard of it
>>
>>1117530
Even more reason to consider it
>>
>>1117526
I went to koh rong last month, the cost of the ferry ride justifies it completely. The island is gorgeous and they have some killer deals on full-day snorkeling/fishing/island charter trips for $10 a person which I highly recommend. They have a big full moon party too if you're into that. There's a zipline course they have that's like $30 but its unlimited usage of the entire day so you can just keep going on the ziplines non-stop until dark
>>
>>1117600
Ever been to Phucket?
>>
>>1116943
Oh man, you've got loads of time to explore. Make sure to check out the iconic southern Koh's/kayaking/parties/beaches, and to check out the northern Mountains/Caverns/Rivers/Waterfalls/Architecture.

You can always rent a motorcycle over there with no license required. That's what I did, and it got me to do a lot more. Especially in the Koh's, Kanchanaburi, Ayutthaya, and Chian Mai/Pai.

You'll find hostels everywhere - a lot of them close at 9pm . Make sure you carry extra gas, and make sure that you find a place to stay before 7pm~(better safe than sorry). Alternatively you can buy a tent, and stay on the side of the road or in designated rest areas, or in national parks.

I highly recommend Thailand.
>>
>>1117993
Excellent post, thanks bro.

>You can always rent a motorcycle over there with no license required.

I've never rented a vehicle before, do they drive on the US side? The vids I've seen online make it look dangerous traffic-wise, esp. having never been on a motocycle
>>
>>1118023
They drive on left side, but it doesn't take much time to familiarize if you're used to drive on the right side in your home country. If you are not experienced at all (like I was), you should start at place without a lot of traffic like Pai or one of the smaller islands. And you should always be aware of the bad road conditions. Also: motorbike in Thailand= both scooter and motorcycle
>>
>>1117047
context of pic?
>>
>>1118028
Same anon here.

Forgot to mention I rented a scooter (50cc). Would not recommend to rent a motorcycle at all because of the temptation of driving too fast.
>>
>>1117993
>and make sure that you find a place to stay before 7pm~(better safe than sorry).

Don't you guys book online? That's what I always do months in advance, or are things just different in Thailand?
>>
>>1118038
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuol_Sleng_Genocide_Museum
>>
>>1117047
http://www.khmer-temple.com/

Left side of the site basically lists all temples in Thailand, couldn't say which is the most impressive
>>
>>1118204
what does that have to do with my post?
>>
File: counterfeit baht.jpg (636KB, 2100x923px) Image search: [Google]
counterfeit baht.jpg
636KB, 2100x923px
>>1116943
>>1117313
$1100 USD for two weeks really isn't enough, not if you want to have a decent time
>>
bumping for interest
>>
>>1118484
Wtf I spent less than 1000 in a month there and had a great time.
>>
>>1118198
You will pay way more if book online. Accommodation isn't hard to find once you're there but if you don't want to have to worry about it go ahead
>>
What about prostitutes? I'm thinking of heading to Pattaya to lose my virginity.
>>
>>1118627
Nah, this is false. Some places have much better deals if you book in advance.
>>
>>1118669
Try Trivago.

It will change your life.
>>
>>1118626
Did you do anything besides drink?
>>
>>1118884
I drank a lot but mostly from 7/11
Besides that: food, accommodation, transportation, national park tickets
I skipped the elephants and ziplines and scuba diving i guess.
>>
>>1118893
Are elephants known to be a pricey attraction? I would think not, but then they may require special care.
>>
>>1118912
I'm not sure about any others but my friends went to one that was $70 for one day.
>>
>>1118643
What about them?
>>
File: thailadyboy.jpg (25KB, 261x269px) Image search: [Google]
thailadyboy.jpg
25KB, 261x269px
>>1118944
Where do I go to meet them?
Cost?
>>
>They're not left-handed chopsticks, but you just have to remember to swap them over since they're laid out for right-handed people.

They're just sticks, how different could left and right handed chopsticks be
>>
>>1119089
Wrong thread, mate!
Here >>1119072
>>
>>1119077
Why don't you try one of the middle class girls on a dating site first? This is like buying ice in the Arctic.
>>
>>1119124
That's still way more work than dropping $50 on a slut, fuck, nut and go.
>>1119077
Another dude asked me about Pattaya in another thread. I promise I will include the answer to your question wheneverI get around to responding in full
>>
>>1119124
Also, did you notice he was asking about a ladyboy. Though ThaiFriendly would be a good site to find one.
>>
>>1119126
Correction: this is like buying ice in the arctic at five times the usual price.
>>
>>1119129
Only that it's probably about US$30~50 and you don't have to go through the hassle of being sociable.
Choose the girl, give the money, get the puss.
Of course price varies depending on the girl, but it's probably a lot cheaper than in yurope or burgerland.
>>
>>1119126
Do you realize how little you'll have to spend on buying her drinks and food? And the benefits of her showing you cool spots you never would have found on your own are worth at least $50 and then you get o fuck her after having flirting and tension for a few hours. for free.
>>
>>1119126
Literally no work. Every Thai girl will fuck every white guy every time. no effort.
>>
>>1119165
That's asusuming you want to do more with a womanthan use her as cumm rag. And there is it's own thrill in going to a gogo bar, having women vie for your attention, and buy them like groceries. Picking up chicks, especially Asian ones, is kind of boring. Like you said, it's not a challenge. And then you have the potential of dealing with their craziness. Whats the old saying? You aren't paying a hoe to fuck you. You're paying her to leave.
>>
File: Kampot_pepper_crab.jpg (448KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Kampot_pepper_crab.jpg
448KB, 1024x768px
>>1116943
I'm gonna recommend you try Cambodia if you're on a budget, there's plenty to do besides Angkor

tbqh you could probably do both on that budget, I did but then I had a local friend to stay with
>>
bumping because i bascially need a thai to do list
>>
File: hoteslelelelel.jpg (59KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
hoteslelelelel.jpg
59KB, 800x533px
>>1117993
>pm
Any particular hostels you can recall, or that you'd recommend?
>>
>>1119607
Bed Station in Bangkok
>>
>>1119613
Top choice m8
>>
>>1119617
I'm actually not too picky, tell me the WORST ones so I can be sure to avoid.
>>
>>1118643
>>1119077
>>1119126
>>1116115

^^^ I posted about Pattaya there, which is the place to go

>>1119167
No effort relative to the west, it literally only takes being a nice guy, especially if start talking to girls before hand online. But he also has to know when to be aggressive, make the move. Since he's a virgin he'd probably end up just broke or spending more money than he would have on a hooker, and still not laid. Even regular Thai chicks will have yo spending money on them. And I doubt he could pull a "hi-so" chick like anon with pregnant fiance'. That typically requires some Thai, or long time expat friends, if not an expat yourself.
>>
>>1117058
>better value
>more fun dollar for dollar

So which is it? You basically just said both Thailand and Cambodia have better value for the dollar?
>>
>>1118669
Depends on the quality of the place. Higher end hotels have better deals online, basic hostels and guest houses will be better priced in person and if not you have the option of haggling.
>>
>>1119886
You are going to spend more in Thailand than you are in Cambodia, but there is more to do in Thailand and better infrastructure, but still relatively cheap.

So all things equal Cambodia will be cheaper than Thailand for the same activities. But these activities are easier/better/less challenging in Thailand, hence though more expensive, arguably a better value. Especially for the less adventurous. I am same anon as >>1119880 >>1117058

You can also get away with more less than legal activities in Cambodia, as Thailand is just south of 1st world.
>>
Anyone been to Koh Tachai?
It was so beautiful, why did you destroy it?
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-36309103
>>
>>1119880
OK I've got to ask, what's with all the damn prostitution stuff that pops up in Thai threads? Given it's illegal status and how tough the cops are on crime I'd think it would be nonexistent.
>>
enter fighting competition

you can win prizes
>>
>>1119935
Have you ever been to Asia. Across Asia they are very casual and accepting of prostitution. Most dudes do it. Asians in general are the biggest whoremongers, and Japs the biggest spenders. (don't haggle well), most polite, best customers. That's what makes the "fat old white guy Thailand meme so funny, because they westerners in general only make up abut 5 percent of the customers.

Good Article about that, the last paragraph has some interesting stats on male Thais: http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-15/thai-sex-trade-propped-up-by-sexually-repressed-tourists/7413762

What gives westerners a bad name in places like Thailand is not that they fuck whores, but they aren't discrete with it and cavort about with them in public, take them shopping and shit. Hell, the local places you may not even spot or gain access to without a Thai or long tie expat friend. For those that have been to Thailand it's usually this karaoke bars that won't let you in.
>>
>>1119975
>Have you ever been to Asia
No.
>>
File: no booze plz.jpg (42KB, 400x582px) Image search: [Google]
no booze plz.jpg
42KB, 400x582px
>>1116943
Are there any good amusement parks and roller coasters in Bangkok?
>>
>>1119077
Bangkok
>Soms Place - BJ = 600 Baht
>Dr BJ's - BJ = 700 Baht
>Lolita's - BJ = 600 Baht
Pattaya
>Lolita's - BJ = 700 Baht
>Bliss Lounge - BJ = 600 Baht

600 Baht = $16.80
700 Baht = $19.60
>>
>>1119975
Thai prostitutes have a saying about Japanese men, they call them the rule of three:
>three inches
>three minutes
>three hundred Baht more than a farang
>>
>>1119986
Soi Nana & Soi Cowboy for amusement
>>
File: pepper.jpg (22KB, 480x471px) Image search: [Google]
pepper.jpg
22KB, 480x471px
how clean are southeast asian people? do they wash themselves daily?
>>
>>1119986
There's a bunch of water parks in Pattaya. Here's 2:
http://www.ramayanawaterpark.com
http://m.cartoonnetworkamazone.com
>>
>>1120036
That is a papaya, not a pepper.
They are bright orange when sliced and taste like vomit. I don't recommend eating one.
>>
>>1120164
Son Tampa aka Papaya salad is good as fuck. Also a very popular SEA dish. Now durian...
>>
>>1120036
idk about most of them but the Thai people i met showered like 3 times a day.
>>
>>1120166
It's vile and if you force yourself to eat it anyway (muh superfood) it will make you shit yourself constantly.
>>
>>1120166
>Son Tampa
Auto correct got you Som Tom
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_papaya_salad
>>
Can we get a Thailand superlative goin'?
>Best nature

>Best history

>Best food

>Best overall
>>
File: thai toilet.jpg (68KB, 687x598px) Image search: [Google]
thai toilet.jpg
68KB, 687x598px
>>1116943
Do they use Western style toilets, or Indian squat holes?
>>
>>1120276
Both
>>
>>1120164
lol whut? that's a deformed butternut squash
>>
>>1120184
>shit yourself constantly
you are a little pussy
>>
Is there any place for ugly people with social anxiety in travel? I have no obligations. I want to go to Thailand or Cambodia and experience things.
>>
>>1120332
>>Is there any place for ugly people
No. The world hates ugly people.
>>with social anxiety
No. The world hates insecure fags.

Seriously, though, just open the door and go.
Just remember not to be a complete idiot.
>>
>>1120336
But the world does hate insecure, ugly fags.
I'm tempted to just book a flight and hostel. I have no idea what to do there though, i don't want to dance or swim or anything. I wanna drink, walk, chat, lose my virginity, see things, that sort of stuff. What if i end up being all alone and miserable? What if i fail?
Man i thought making the world your oyster would be easier and more straightforward.
>>
>>1120341
>>What if i end up being all alone and miserable?
Then you end up being all alone and miserable.
Whatever.
>>What if i fail?
Then you failed and have less money.
Whatever.

If you're that scared, than don't waste your time. Stay locked in your little world that's your own stinky room and keep crying for the rest of your life. I couldn't care less about whether you try and fail or try and succeed. I and most likely the rest of the world, actually. Only you care about that.
>>
>>1120336
just go I never ran out of shit to do in thailand
try surfing
>>
>>1120341
Christ you sound pathetic? Are you serious about failing to travel?
>>
>>1117061
There are something like 1000 restaurants owned by westerners in Phnom Penh. I am sure anon will find something good to eat.
>>
>>1120573
and most of them are shit. The most awful western food. and it costs 10 times the Cambodian food. It's not worth it.
>>
File: mc-thai-sawasadee-myhands.jpg (368KB, 1536x1208px) Image search: [Google]
mc-thai-sawasadee-myhands.jpg
368KB, 1536x1208px
>>1120573
Would I lose /trv/ cred if I said that when I visited Thailand two years ago the only place I ever ate at was McDonald's?
>>
>>1120895
I say no, because Thai food can be rough of you don't habe the stomach for it. Going there this fall for my wife's birthday, and making sure she does an allergy test before hand, because she claims to be allergic to fish from a reaction she had decades ago. She's already done the pick test and found out her biggest allergy is rice, of all things. Fish is a blood test, still waiting on results.
>>
>>1120618
You're an idiot. I live there. There is lots of outstanding food in Phnom Penh.

>hurr durr the western food costs like 1000 times more

You don't travel much, do you!
>>
>>1120895
You'd be suspected of being an amerifat. You'd have to start a poll to figure out if trv regards you as having lost cred.
>>
>>1120895
Not /trv/ cred, but /human being/ cred.
Unless you tried other stuff and couldn't stomach, like >>1120944 said.
>>
>>1117313
>>1116943
so let's say i want to plan a trip like OP, how much money should someone budget realistically
>>
>>1120968
$1,100 is realistic for two weeks.

Think about it daily

lodging: $30*14 =420
food: $10*14 = 140

That leaves $540 you can spend on museums, nightlife, nature and what have you. What do you want to do specifically?
>>
>>1121077
I'd probably be traveling alone. Not really into partying that much anymore. Museums, cultural sites, food, rural areas, etc. (and maybe some laid back time on beaches) are more my thing.
>>
>>1121092
But what would you do in rural areas ,Farm?
>>
>>1121133
take in the scenery
>>
>>1116943
>Does /trv/ have any good hostel recommendations?

Bed Station, Bangkok

>>1121092
>>1121133
>>1121139

Alot.of great nature in the rural parts if Thailand. Also great people and they are
always having parties and festivals , and such.
>>
>>1120948
Phnom Penh is the perfect place to live for somebody that loves shitty imitations of western food. I'm really happy for you.
>>
>>1120968
I did about 40 dollars a day with a few exceptions.
>>
>>1121258
>1000 restaurants imitate western food. They do not serve western food per se

Oh my. We have an opinionated hostel dwelling backpacker here. The world def needs more of your ilk. And shitty comebacks too
>>
>>1121258
harsh m8
>>
>>1121370
More like:
>amerifat backpacker going overland between SHV and Vang Vieng ate a burger he did not like in PP.
>>
>>1121259
Neat. Where all did you go?
>>
File: eww, no dude.jpg (15KB, 564x331px) Image search: [Google]
eww, no dude.jpg
15KB, 564x331px
>>1121435
>eating ground meat in sea
>mfw
>>
File: 1319006937781.jpg (51KB, 640x399px) Image search: [Google]
1319006937781.jpg
51KB, 640x399px
I don't want to hijack the thread but also planning on a thailand trip with GF and other couple.

We probably want to stay in hotels/resorts and it will be cheaper since it will either be 2 or 4 to a room. Any recommendations and any must see/do or things to skip?

I'd like to do recreational stuff like zip lines, rafting, snorkeling, and beach days and also some cultural stuff like temples, food, and a lot of natural beauty stuff like caves, rivers, waterfalls, etc. Partying/night life would be awesome as well.

We're planning a 2 week trip.
>>
take it big
>>
>>1121435
The Burger King was actually spot on.
>>
>>1121584
Split your time between the Southern resort area (Phuket, Krabi, Koh Samui), Chiang Mai, and maybe spend a day or two in Bangkok at the beginning and end of the trip and check out the temples/floating markets and such there. Koh CHang is a great island for nature and couples, but the party/night life sceen isn't crazy, it's more slow paced, romantic, laid back. Rayong is another relaxing beach destination good to decompress, but much slower than the more famous areas.
>>
>>1121595
Thanks, any waterfalls, hikes, or anything to check out?

Is rafting/intertubing in thailand a thing also?
and unrelated:my gf is down for threesomes sometimes are thai girls into that kinda thing? We're both reasonably attractive and in good shape. We are both white.

What about massages (non sexual)... worth it?

Do hotels ever have gyms with weights, or is that a western thing only?
>>
File: 1429804977830.jpg (865KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1429804977830.jpg
865KB, 2000x2000px
>>1121601
Plenty of hookers are. You go into some clubs and the women will try to help you convince your girl to get a threesome. Otherwise, other Western travelers are aure bet. Try the Koh Tao pub crawl
>>
>>1121613
great I'm not really into asian girls but she is, I'd rather find girls from western countries anyway.

I'll check it out, what about drugs? I'll do molly or coke, are they unreliable or super illegal there? I'm OK with sticking with alcohol, red bull is cheap right?
>>
>>1121617
Anything heavier than weed, and have you ever seen Brokedown Palace? Evenwith weed it's best to only get from another expat or if you make nay Thai friends from them. A common scam is for someoen to offere you weed, then they tell their cop buddy you have weed, who will let you off with a "fine" that he splits with the dude you go the weed from . Pills can be had, but take them right away and only get them from other travelers/expats. Don't get caught with them on you.
>>
>>1121617
>coke
They'll sell you smack instead. They don't give a fuck. You might die.

>>1121613
>pub crawl
Yuck. How cliché do you want to be? I take detours not to see people like you in the cities where I live.
>>
>>1121624
are pub crawls really that bad? If I'm somewhere for 2 weeks and want to party one night with other tourists that makes sense right?
>>
File: 7yUqlOe.gif (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
7yUqlOe.gif
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>1120035
Oh thats fuckin cute, I see what you did there.
>>
>>1121702
DOn't mind that guy. He's a real traveler. They eschew things that normal people/tourists do
>>
>>1120035
What does it mean?
>>1121720
>>
>>1121721
>pubcrawling Euros and Amerifats in their 20 somethings are now normal people

Hey there, forever_alone. There are these thing called pubs and bars. If you only dare to go to those when attached to a group of other smelly backpackers, you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>1121803
>>1121624
>stop liking what I don't like

Dude on one hand you call pub crawls cliché, and then later you say they aren't normal behavior. You can't have it both ways. Even if you relegate the behavior to "America and Europe 20-somethings", if that is anon's peer group then how is that not normal behavior?
>>
>>1121815
>you say they aren't normal behavior.
I never did
>20 something backpackers is anon's peer group
And it's a horrible peer group. Just like NGO-cunts, sexpats and deathpats. What happened to just going to a place and being/traveling there?
>>
>>1121847
>deathpats

What is this? Like people on their last leg of life?
I like the Bucket List, good movie.
>>
>>1121847
Whoa, dude, be careful. You might cut yourself on all that edge
>>
>>1121876
Pouring derision on backpackers is regarded as edgy now? Get back to the hostel. Bring your poi and your hacky sack.
>>
>>1121923
All I can read is a whiny little conceited bitchy Real Traveler™ yelling
"Oh, how I hate those idiots who don't know how to travel! I hate them and they're spoiling MY Real Traveler™ experience!"
>>
>>1121930
butthurt backpacker detected. "How dare you disrespect me during my gap year?" I just came here to fuck some Scandinavian blondes while their guard is down due to intoxication. Next year I won't be a teen anymore, and I best get back to my flyover state and try to get a job.
>>
File: dsc_2922[1].jpg (87KB, 634x425px) Image search: [Google]
dsc_2922[1].jpg
87KB, 634x425px
>>1121930
You kids are actually universally hated. The locals hate you. The expats hate you. You are essentially useless to anyone. Sorry 4 disappoint.
>>
>>1121923
What's a poi?
>>
File: rh_wakarusa_poi_dance2_t460[1].jpg (46KB, 460x315px) Image search: [Google]
rh_wakarusa_poi_dance2_t460[1].jpg
46KB, 460x315px
>>1122005
>>
>>1122085
Oh shit, I have a set of those I suck with them, though.
>>
>>1122085
This picture makes me wanna punch this guy so bad. Pub Crawl it is. I fucking hate hippie culture.
>>
>>1122160
>hate hippie culture
It is backpacker culture, along with:
hacky sack
living in dorms
being young, dumb and full of cum
pub crawls
generally doing shit in groups of 3 or more
>>
>>1122162
you forgot:

Living off parents trust fund
suburban white kids whos parents don't 'get them'
took one semester of liberal arts and decided college 'isn't for me'
'im not religious, I'm just spiritual'
>>
File: jackals-finished[1].jpg (185KB, 676x1019px) Image search: [Google]
jackals-finished[1].jpg
185KB, 676x1019px
>>1122170
>>
>>1122160

Say what you will, but people like the guy in that pic are usually some of the nicest, most genuine people you meet while traveling. But hey, fuck him for having a passion, right? The only thing he should care about is getting fucking blackout and picking up slags
>>
File: bangedcock.jpg (126KB, 1150x622px) Image search: [Google]
bangedcock.jpg
126KB, 1150x622px
>>1116943
I was wondering if anyone has any experience? Or advice which they can give me like where no to go? Local customs and things to avoid?
>>
>>1122642
>it's actually a pretty nice city for southeast asia.
Yes, I've heard it's modern and cosmopolitan.
>use a condom
Girls do not like me, fucking a fellow traveler is impossible because I'm both ugly and antisocial and I won't touch a prostitute because there are few things scarier than getting arrested in a foreign country.
>don't start fights
Actually I want to fight. I've heard they have sparring competitions of some sort you can enter. I want to try this very much.
>the food is good.
I am from a small isolated rural town in fly over murrica and have never even seen Thai food. What is it? Can you give some examples?
>>
>>1122801
such low T.
>>
>>1116943
Why did you change your mind about Cambodia?
>>
>>1122835
Better accommodation in Thailand, and just more to do in general.

Also safety.
>>
>>1117516
Which part did they go to?
>>
>>1122836
IM not so H opinion:

Thailand have a giant chip on the shoulder about them being the master race. If you do anything to deflate that delusion, they will get upset or put a knife in you.

Cambodia, despite its obvious downsides, is still a genuinely friendly country. I'd take a humble Khmer smile over a fake Thai smile any day.
>>
>>1122902
So basically you like Cambodia there because you can be more of a douche to the locals and they still have some of the white god thing going on. Got ya
>>
File: IMG_20160603_082637.jpg (3MB, 4608x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160603_082637.jpg
3MB, 4608x2592px
>>1122902
In siem reap right now, nicest people I have ever met
And yeah the scams..you would do the same right?
>>
File: IMG-20160523-WA0009.jpg (28KB, 388x476px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160523-WA0009.jpg
28KB, 388x476px
Visiting Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, what do, what don't?
>>
>>1122948
>I deduce what I like from what other people write cause I have no life
k anon.
>>1122958
>the scams
You only get scammed if you let them. Stay in a place for a while and you learn what a motodop costs. Check your change for fakes. Other than that, stop buying crap. End result = never scammed.
>>
Hey guys, 23 y/o, white student here. Did not want to create a new S.E.A-Thailand Thread just to keep the board neat. Planning on going to Thailand between January 23rd - February 20th. Since this will be a budget trip and I don't have months to travel (Only 4 weeks), I've decided to stay in places that are close to each other and not spend alot of time on the road. Want to start with Chiang Mai (4 night, Jan 23-Jan 27) then stay in Bangkok for a few nights (Probably 5-6 days, will come back for more at the final days of my trip if I like it).
After that, planning on going South-West to Phuket, go to the Full Moon Party and visit some of the islands - coastal towns there. This is where I need the help. I dont plan on seeing every single island. Looking for some islands with good beaches but still, relatively not overrun by the tourists. Like, chilling at the beach, exploring around with a rental motorbike and hanging out at the bars - clubs in the evening. ( Doesn't have to be chaotic, still, it'd be cool if they had some other tourists or backpackers to mingle with).
I need 2-3 more destinations (2-3 that are close to Koh Phangan and Phuket). What would you suggest and how many days out of 28 would you spend in each destination if you were me (Chiang Mai - Bangkok - Phuket - Koh Phangan +2-3 more beach towns)?
P.S:
I'm not a huge fan of prostitution but I'd like to approach girls tho, so i'd not prefer deserted destinations.
Also, would 2000$ be enough for 28 days (Plane tickets not included)?

Could you give an example of my estimated expenses? (Like, you'd pay 15$/night on accomodation, 5$/meal for western, 2$/meal for Thai dishes etc)
>>
>>1123130
Koh Samui is better than Phuket to me.of course Krabi, while you are down in that area. Koh Tao and it's infamous pub crawl
>>
>>1123130
>Did not want to create a new S.E.A-Thailand Thread just to keep the board neat
Wise man. Do we really need 5 threads about the same thing?

>15$/night on accomodation
>15
guaranteed roach infested hell hole

>Koh Samui is better than Phuket to me.of course Krabi
What makes you say that? I trust your opinion, just curious.
>>
File: THD.png (12KB, 523x149px) Image search: [Google]
THD.png
12KB, 523x149px
>>1122902
>I'd take a humble Khmer smile over a fake Thai smile any day.

But I'm an American. We are the fake-smile-master-race so I doubt that would bother me.
>>
>>1123148

Thanks for the tips, will check em out.

>>1123190

How would you suggest that I find accomodation? Cant really pay more than 20$/night. Should I book em online? Find em when I get there and haggle with the landlord? What would u suggest?
>>
>>1123192
If you're really on a budget haggling in person might be your best bet. I never ever do that because I'm such a pansy that the idea of having to sleep on the streets for one night scares me. I couldn't handle the stress of not knowing my accommodations were already planned, but some people roll like that.

Try Trivago.
>>
>>1123192
IMO, if you gave to book in adance and have no friends on the ground here are your two best options:

1. Hostel - under $20 easy and can stay there while you find a solo place

2. If you can't abide hostels at all, then agoda.com or booking.com
>>
>>1123192
>>1123214

Why not AirBnB?
>>
>go to Bangkok
>fucking shit tier city, dirty, awful traffic, constant scams, smells like gasoline, etc.
>go to Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai
>fucking god tier, chill as fuck, nice natural surroundings, all good shit

Go north lad
>>
>>1121702
Pub crawls are fun. That guy is just an ass.
>>
>>1123472
>Organised walks with a bunch of other neets between different pubs is now regarded as de rigeur. I completely ignore the fact that real people don't need to join a flock of sheep to go out.
>>
>>1123487
Yeah man, 99% of the time, I don't go out being herded from bar to bar with a group of other travelers... but guess what, that still doesn't detract from the fact that it's an easy, fun way to meet other travelers and go out.
>>
>>1123489
>>arguing with someone in 4chan
TOP KEK
Just let it go dude. The other anon is just some butthurt Real Traveler™ who thinks anyone who opposes his views are the responsible for his miseries.
>>
>>1123487
An older couple from San Francisco was organizing a pub crawl to the different ship bars on the cruise I was just on.
>>
>>1120033
the fuck is a farang
>>
>>1123605
>the fuck is a farang
summerfag!
>>
>>1119889
this

/thread
>>
File: fuckit.jpg (75KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
fuckit.jpg
75KB, 500x500px
>>1116943
Anyone from Phucket have a good hostel to recommend? Experiences to share?
>>
File: farang.png (472KB, 577x447px) Image search: [Google]
farang.png
472KB, 577x447px
>>1123605
Someone who has money Thais can steal.
Exchanges GPL (gold pressed Latinum) into THB (Thai Baht)
>>
File: Pattaya-Thailand-1-500x333.jpg (66KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
Pattaya-Thailand-1-500x333.jpg
66KB, 500x333px
>>1116943
Based on your personal tastes and experiences how would you rank Thai cities?

is Bangkok #1
>>
Best place for authentic street food: Sukhumvit Soi 38, Bangkok (pic related)

Best place for high quality international food: numerous excellent restaurants in Bangkok, especially in the upmarket Thong lor area, check trip advisor, but don't expect it to be cheap

Best place for average international food: any decent size shopping centre will have chain restaurants serving anything from burgers to sushi to steak to tacos
>>
>>1125858

It's hard to compare Bangkok with any other city because it's so much bigger that it's a completely different animal.

For me, Bangkok takes a bit of getting used to. Ideally you nee to either have a lot of time to explore or know somebody there who can show you the good places otherwise you just end up in the tourist ghetto's, which don't really show off Bangkok as the incredibly vibrant international city that it is.

Chiang Mai is much smaller than Bangkok, but is excellent in different ways. It gives you access to the north of Thailand, which is by far the best part of the country. There, you can get out into the countryside on a motorbike and explore, meet genuine friendly locals, immerse yourself in local culture. It's brilliant.

Nakon Ratchasima, in the Isaan region, is the 2nd biggest city but doesn't see many tourists. It's in a poor area, but it's a proper Thai town. If you can find a local to take you to some parties there you'll have the time of your life.

Hat Yai in the far south is different again, lots of Muslims, interesting only really in so far as it demonstrates some of the diversity Thailand has to offer

Pattaya/Phuket, these aren't really proper cities, they're large tourist resorts. Like most of the popular tourist resorts in Thailand, they're among the worst places in the country from cultural and aesthetic points of view, but there's lots of cheap booze and fun times to be had. Out of the two I'd probably choose Phuket, because it's easier to get away from the mayhem, but realistically I wouldn't waste any time in Thailand in any of those places.
>>
>>1125895
>tourist ghetto
what is this?
>>
What is the minimum I should set apart if I want to spend 1-1.5 months backpacking in SEA?
>>
>>1126762
$2,000 not including airfare
>>
>>1127082
>>1126762
"Minimum" $1000. not including airfare. $2000 will be pretty comfy.
>>
>>1127082
>>1127150
How much can I expect to pay per day if I don't want to stay in cockroach infested hellholes?
>>
>>1127271
That would be minimum $2000 then. I did $1000 and only experienced one place with cockroaches but if you don't want to push your luck.
>>
>>1125858
bump
>>
>>1127341
I'm guesstimating that I'll have about €2000 by that time, so I think I'll be good. How much should I budget for food if I'm a big guy (/fit/, 6'3, 220, big appetite)? Also, should I buy a 'real' backpacking backpack? Which brands are good?
>>
>>1127450
try "The Turtle" backpack. All the inner compartments you could ever need.
>>
>>1127493
This one?
http://www.tortugabackpacks.com/products/tortuga-travel-backpack

The only other hits I got were ninja turtle backpacks.
>>
>>1127638
I have that
>>
>>1127788
How is it? I've read it's more of an 'urban' backpack, while I'm not looking to be using it like that (I'm not gonna take my laptop and stuff, and I'm 100% sure gonna sweat a lot).
>>
>>1127813
I have it too. It's sturdy and can carry a lot, but not recommended for lugging around for hours. I just leave it in the room and carry a lightweight daypack around.
>>
File: Grillo-Parlante-e1454098885963.jpg (120KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Grillo-Parlante-e1454098885963.jpg
120KB, 1280x720px
>>1125886
Thanks! What did you eat there?
Curried-crickets?
>>
>>1116943
Well spent over a month trying to decide between Thailand and Australia. Looks like my budget has chosen for me.

Now that I'm going to Thailand it's time to start building an itinerary, people that have gone what are your must dos for the country?
>>
File: 1466281267518.jpg (55KB, 720x719px) Image search: [Google]
1466281267518.jpg
55KB, 720x719px
>>
>>1129229
pattaya
>>
>>1122958
>In siem reap
This looks interesting.
>>
>>1116943

Is there a reason why everyone thinks it is so hard to drive from Thailand to Cambodia?
>>
Brit travelling to SEA for a total of about 2 weeks in three weeks time, haven't booked a single thing yet apart from flights into KL

>I'm starting to panic about places to stay
Should I be panicking? I'll book somewhere for two days in KL to stay and then move on from there at some point. As to where I'm going...

>where should I go?
I was going to transfer over to Bangkok for a few days and then fly out of there to... well anywhere really, that airport seems to go wherever I want. I was interested in Chang Mai for a bit as it seems amazing but a family friend will be in Laos around that time and I wouldn't mind visiting the country but really I can go anywhere

>money and visas
If I just bring dollars can I exchange them at the airports easily? With regards to visas, I don't need one for KL but with other countries are any a real hassle to get visas in the airport?

I don't really have a budget but I was thinking around £800 for the two weeks, I won't be doing much apart from sight seeing and eating but I don't really have a hard budget.
>>
>>1129949
Also can I just go to the airport and get flights on the day or do I need to book in advance?
>>
>>1119089
Forgot I posted this. How could you possibly think I was serious?
>>
Out of curiosity, how do you guys finance your traveling?

For 4-5 years I was doing this thing where I would work a shitty but hi paying job, save money, then quit and spend a few months traveling, but doing so makes it literally impossible to advance a career and I can't do heavy physical labor for the rest of my life.

Most careers seem to prohibit regular travel. Right now I'm in insurance, trying to get a commercial helicopter piloting license on the side.

My traveling also got really stumped by getting married. The relationship is great, but also really restricts my "freedom of movement" and "freedom of doing whatever the fuck I want" and "freedom to fuck transexuals in new and interesting places". Jury is out on cost / benefit.
>>
>>1129840
Can't speak for everyone -- but my sense is that the border crossing is a bit of a pain in the ass, or that it was some years back, last time I looked into it.
>>
>>1129949
Hostelworld has plenty of options that usually don't sell out, or you can just turn up and look then.

Bangkok's a fun city. Laos is cool. Just find somewhere with something you want to experience and go there. It's up to you.

You'll get shafted changing money at an airport. Bring some emergency USD if you want, you probably won't need it though. Get a credit card that doesn't charge for overseas transactions. Halifax do one.

I'm assuming you're travelling alone, in which case don't worry about planning everything. It's nice to be flexible & everything is cheap. £800 is plenty.
>>
>>1130314
How much is cash a necessity in SEA? Can you get by pretty much swiping everywhere?
>>
>>1131273
Bumping for answers
>>
>>1132024
Card work fine in big cities. In the worst case scenario, there's an ATM nearby.
Card won't work in small cities. In the best case scenario, there's an ATM in the next big city.
>>
>>1131273
If you stay in expensive star hotels, eat in upscale restaurants and rent a car, yes. If you travel cheaply, 99% of places are cash only: hotels, public transport, eateries, markets. Only big supermarkets and 7-11 accept cards.
>>
File: South East Asia.jpg (73KB, 679x635px) Image search: [Google]
South East Asia.jpg
73KB, 679x635px
>>1116943
What is the cheapest way to travel betweem Thailand and Singapore? Can I save money if I got by boat, ship, or ferry vs booking a flight?

Why doesn't Jakarta get any love on /trv/ ?
>>
>>1116943
>>1118484
>>1120968

> $2000 for two weeks
> "very tight budget"
WHAAAT? holy cow! how perceptions/expectations differ! I spent $2000 in 6 MONTHS in asia... of course i traveled cheap, of course my bedrooms had spiders in them, no, nobody needs a/c or television.
>>
>>1132452
Yes, but it will be very long. Assuming you are in Bangkok, you can take third class train to Hat Yai with a change in Chumphon (need to stay overnight there) for about $5. Crossing Malaysia by bus will cost about $20-25, and you'll be in Singapore on the night of the second day at best.
>>
>>1132452
>>1132735
True, but that makes little to no sense unless you want that "experience". Fly by Air Asia, costs you fuck all and it takes 2 hours.
>>
>>1120895
Yes. But who cares? Anonymous board.
>>
>>1132452
jakarta gets no love because it's a shithole with broken roads, open sewers and the constant stench of human waste throughout the entire city, drugs everywhere, and gun violence. plenty of the good spots in indonesia get love. there's no arbitrary reason anyone should like the capital.

>>1130167
it's hard buddy. my new job has only 2 weeks vacation a year. nothing you can do about it. unless you're a high flying salesman or exec, good luck negotiating vacation packages. profit margins at businesses are to thin because of new regulatory frameworks. if they can't squeeze blood out of a stone, they're not going to hire you.

travel eventually gets old. my reccomendation is advancing your career (if you have one.) not saying you'll eventually stop caring, I certainly haven't, but after a certain point, when our countries are being overrun by suicide bombers, ad most people are just lucky to have a min wage job, you need to treasure whatever career advantages you have, because that kind fo monetary security and the physical safety it buys is quickly disappearing.
>>
>>1125858
business expats tend to base themselves in chiang mai for reasons of cleanliness, comfort, cost, and the better pace of life.

bangkok is a proper city. it probably won't ever be first world, but it continues to be and will likely remain the cleanest adn most efficient city proper in SEA for at least 50 years. but that comes with all the same reasons people don't want to live in ANY big city.

in terms of visiting, who cares about either. go to an island, buddy
>>
>>1132762
>Fly by Air Asia, costs you fuck all and it takes 2 hours.

Define fuck all because unless it's less than $100, this train/bus/boat route is sounding pretty good.

It's not ideal because of the time, but road trips are cool so long as you're not the one who has to drive. Sit back relax and get to know the country you're traveling through.
>>
>>1132814
I was looking up flights from Bangkok to Udon Thani recently. It $40 round trip. Smile airline or whatever it's called was $100 or $110. I can't remember off the top of my head. Actually it might have been $40 one way. Still good, though
>>
>>1125858
>>1132813
Chiang Mai is great if you want to live in Thailand but still never have to learn a licky of Thai. Which there is nothing wrong with that. But maybe because I'm a coastal guy, I'don't have to put Chonburi up there.

Although it never gets mentioned on /trv/ Udon Thani is way underrated, and you can get by on English there, as there's a growing expat retiree community there with westerners and their Thai wives.
>>
>>1132835
the coastal and smaller communities are great for retirees because being at the coast is nice and you don't need to move around a lot or do a lot.

chiang mai is great because of its location in terms of transport, trade, business centers, etc. an expat will have hard time doing much of anything out of udon thani in terms of work, business, acquiring non-living standard types of services, etc. or any coastal community, and a young person might find himself boxed in.

chiang mai and bangkok are essentially the business hubs of all of SEA, and their relative small size despite it shows how very quickly the region becomes isolated from essential networks, etc.

there are countless "nice" places in thailand. outside of the south, there's very little crime. people are genuinely friendly and nice, etc. but despite that it's too isolated from the ability to actually do anything. there are expats in some of these places content to work for 10 dollars a day because it's simply the best business you can run in a city without many paved roads shipping infrastructure, or education.

bangkok wages are quickly converging with chinese wages. in my knowledge, this is the only place in SEA where this is happening. bangkok is quite cool imo. and as myanmar and burma and vietnam begin to slowly open up I guarantee you bangkok will be the center of all that commerce.
>>
>>1132858
Maybe smaller communities like Rayong, but I am not sure what you think Chonburi lacks? It's basically one long metro from Chonburi though Pattaya. Like the people of Udon Thani, and Isan in general, than the rest of Thais, and Udon Thani has plenty of infrastructure. Not to tale away from Chiang Mai or Bangkok. What would be your list of 5 cities?
>>
>>1132864
imho the only feasible cities for running business/work are chiang mai and bangkok. in udon thani you're going to lack easy access to translation services, lawyers, b2b services, timely freight, internationall recognized notarization, reliable market information, easy ways to deal with corruption, educated thai labor, etc.

no doubt there is a niche for some thai businesses. but I can't see any reason to go anywhere for the purposes of work other than chiang mai or bangkok. the comfort and cost differential is not large enough to compensate for all of the above, all of which are necessary for any business activity.
>>
>>1132869
I left out scale. businesses and operations can't scale up easily in udon thani

there's a reason markets and cities expand when they do, in the places they do. it doesn't come from well wishing. comfort is some small factor, but it was largely the transparency and stability of thailand that drew capital in the first place. now that these things are cemented, comfort alone won't draw operations away from the preexisting structures.
>>
>>1132869
>>1132872
I see that's the disconnect. You are viewing this from an international business standpoint. Ahh. The expats I see in Udon Thani, and even Chonburi, that aren't retirees, fall into 3 categories:

Online business of some sort (lumping coders, writers, drop shippers, and any other telecommunications based business )

Have a local hospitality business (bar, club, coffee shop, restaurant)

Or is a teacher.

And the fourth just has some other passive sort of income or savings.

I agree with what you are saying for business, one of the reasons I want to relocate to Thailand long term. Though my working life would be in Chiang Mai, if I stick to my degree field (supply chain management, basically logistics), I'don't look to retire in Udon Thani or somewhere in the Chonburi Province. Even Pattaya is not a bad place to live. Sri Racha is nice, if slow.
>>
>>1132879
yeah of course that was my perspective lol. only a minority of people can make a living from drop shipping and associated types of things. it will never apply to the majority of expats so that would be a weird perspective to default to.

I myself did translating/editing as an expat for a year and yes I'd absolutely prefer to live on a resort doing that. but real work can't actually be done in udon thani, lol. and I don't really think drop shipping is real work in terms of marketable skills or utility.

still don't know if I'd retire in thailand though. maybe if I was a pensioner and had made particularly poor decisions regarding my savings. but there are plenty of better places to live that are only slightly more expensive. maybe my opinion will change when I get older. my default assumption is that retirees go to thailand because of limited funds, really good medical care, and hookers. thailand lacks a certain vibrancy within the expat life, I don't mean in terms of racial diversity. I mean that there's a preponderancy of vets and poor whites that don't engage in civic activities, etc. I keep fairly active and I don't like that lifestyle, I prefer a certain amount of, man, I'm really lacking the words... well distributed education, where even peasants are fairly smart, and where if I meet an expat I can have a decent conversation that doesn't revolve around footi, and the women do more than watch bad soap operas. I dunno, what are your reasons? I'm trying to keep an open mind. maybe I sound like a condescending cunt. I have lots of pleasant memories of every country in the region, I just feel like it would drive me crazy.
>>
>>1132884
Funny because you already touched on most of my reasons. SEA is on the rise. I am an American and honestly think Europe is fucked, no matter what happens, and will see a decline over the coming decades. Their loss will be China and the rest of Asia's gain. I've said it before, no matter what you think of his other policies, Obama's policy towards Asia is prescient, but I feel even Hilary is lukewarm, at best, towards it. Trump would likely get rid of it just because Obama's name is attached to it, though he's more likely to keep it than any of his former Republican opponents would be. I don't know how solid the deals he's made with Vietnam, Phillipines, Singapore, Australia and others, are to survive an executive change. But if that region (no concerns on Australia, which is still Pacific) is not our allies, they are Chinas, and to be shut out or limited in the region where the most growth will be would be devastating.

But on a personal level I see Thailand as a hub for this economic growth. A lot of manufacturing already happens there. As you said Bangkok will be a hub as these other countries start to develop and open up. They have good medical care and low cost of living. And you can travel in and out of the region easily and cheaply from Bangkok. As why I would retire there, I am from the southern American coast. North Carolina specifically. The pace of life and the tyoe of people are familiar to me. Especially Isan. In fact, the friends I have in Sri Racha are originally from Kohn Kaen and Sakhon Nakhon. SO in retirement Udon Thani and Chonburi is about living a simpl easy life. The dollar going far helps, and the fact it's a country that offers a retirement visa, or visa if you but property, as I don't want to retire in the USA. Philippines is a cheaper option, but shittier in every way.
>>
>>1132923
True, my most intellectual conversations come from the internet, when doing the expat thing. But I found no shortage of philosophical conversations with other expats, especially vets.
>>
>>1132831
Unbelievable. Well that settles it then.
>>
>>1119245
>there's plenty to do besides Angkor
there is?
>>
I've been researching SE Asia for months now and I still can't figure out where to go. I'd be able to take a full month of in Jan/Feb and I'd go by myself. This would be my first time overseas aside from being deployed/going to Canada as a kid. I'm a tall American white male for reference.

I don't think I'd like the whole nightclub scene, though I drink and if I could have a happy shake without getting thrown in prison I wouldn't mind it. Getting scammed/robbed all to hell is one of my biggest worries, as is getting lost/stranded. I'm also trying to balance tourist trap, yet accessible versus "real" SE Asia, yet spending half a day on some rickety bus and getting lost or worse. Shit like Angkor Wat/Plain of Jars interest me.

I'm also not sure how to balance seeing more places and traveling alot versus seeing less but being able to relax.

I'm flying United as I have a Chase Sapphire and can redeem miles through them while going through my home airport.

I thought about going to Bangkok up to Chiang Mai and then cutting through Myanmar and then down the south and flying back from Bangkok. I thought about a similar path through Laos including Luang Prabang and Vientiane in that area and back down through Udon Thani. Cambodia seems cool too.

I also thought about doing a few days as a stopover in either Hong Kong/Macau or Singapore (leaning towards Hong Kong). Vietnam hasn't really piqued my interest for whatever reason.
>>
>>1133371
Vietnam and Indonesia are two of my favourites in SEA, but if you're not totally interested in them/don't have the time then skipping over is fine.

I lived in Singapore for a while, so if you do the stopover thing I would probably recommend Hong Kong. I love SG and think it has some of the best food in the world, but for the most part its just marginally so compared to other places in the region. Once you have a few good meals the only other thing to do is go shopping (at luxury malls), check out a couple of hipster cafes, then pay out your ass to have the most slightest buzz at an expensive night club. HK has a lot more diversity in terms of things to do and see during a short trip.

Can't really comment too much on the other stuff just yet, as most of my travels were week or two trips from Singapore, and I haven't be to Laos so I don't know how that idea would work.
>>
>>1133374

Singapore seems a little too steep for my blood. I"m not poor, but I'm not looking to break the bank with this trip. Just some shit little private room.

I should look into Vietnam more I suppose. /trv/'s general consensus on Indonesia is that it sucks though obviously its massive so I'm sure there's good and bad.
>>
Help a brother with an Indonesia route, 60 days starting in September? There is a lot there that interests me, mainly interested in Borneo. Sulawesi and the Spice Islands sound fascinating though.
>>
>>1133375
Well see that's why I asked about how much it was to visit. The cool shit I want to see is in other SEA countries, but Singapore has safer, sexier, LEGAL prostitution, save enough to give yourself one glitzy day even if it's just a day trip so you can say you saw the merlion. Also although Thailand has great food Singapore has the best food there is.
>>
File: say what again.jpg (16KB, 400x256px) Image search: [Google]
say what again.jpg
16KB, 400x256px
>>1133371
>Chase
Have I been stupid? I've gone on a dozen int trips but I've never had a credit card in my life. Did I just throw away thousands of potential skymiles or something?

I was just afraid because some CCs charge you a monthly rate just for having the card, even if you never use it so I just thought screw it. This might be the last trip I ever take and I'm not going to pay for money.
>>
I lived in Singapore for half a year and on my travels I until now visited Malaysia, Thailand, Taiwan, China, Hong Kong, Vietnam

>Best food
Vietnam, Singapore, Taiwan

>"Worst" food
Not really such a thing as 'worst' food, generally the food in SEA is dirt cheap (even in SG if you know where to look) and so incredibly delicious. Even with not shaggy looking street places, you can't really go wrong.
>>
>>1133377
Yogjakarta was heaven for me. The atmosphere is so relaxed, there are a lot of marketplaces, hiring a scooter is dirt cheap. We went with some old torn off bus to Parangtritis Beach, which looked just like a scene from Far Cry, where we got served local dishes by a 70-year old woman with an AK.

Also, Bintang beer where you pay 0,50 cents for 0,5 litres.
>>
>>1133405
Sounds fantastic, definitely adding that to the list. Figure I'll probably just want to leave Jakarta as soon as I get in and head east. Did you use PELNI?
>>
>>1133404
>even in SG if you know where to look
Where should we look senpai?
>>
>>1133392

Chase Sapphire charges me $95 a year which they waive for the first year. That fee gets more than cover by the fact that I got 40,000k miles as a bonus just for spending $3k in 3 months on shit I'd normally buy. That alone is enough to fly United from North America to Central America and back with a stopover and two open jaws if I want. If I wanted, i could redeem the 40k miles for $400 cash back but of course its better to use them for flights. It doesn't even matter what airports you fly out of so long as United flies to them, so if you're from a smaller metro like me, you're not paying extra for a flight compared to NYC like you would with cash. Chase Sapphire gives me miles on Southwest(big plus), Virgin, British Airways, Singapore Airlines, and Air France/KLM.

Just don't rack up interest. It is psychologically easier to spend with a credit card than cash but if you're going to buy McDonalds, why not rack up miles while you're at it.

There's plenty of comparisons done to see which is best for you. If you live in say Charlotte, you're probably best off using a credit card that gives you AA miles.

Also don't let yourself pay interest.
>>
>>1133392
>>1133648
I'm guessing those 40l miles expire annually so assuming you pay off your bills before interest: you essentially got one free flight, and then at least one an international flight for just $95 every year after that?

So now all I gotta do is apply. I have no credit but we'll see if they take me, sounds like a decent deal if they do.
Thanks bro that's great info.
>>
>>1133658
No, just as long as you have the credit card. Like I said just google airline miles credit cards and see whats better for you.
>>
>>1132721
>WHAAAT? holy cow! how perceptions/expectations differ! I spent $2000 in 6 MONTHS in asia...

You obviously did not include airfare.

Not from Denver that's for sure.
>>
>>1117382
fuck off douche
>>
>>1117485
Sihanoukville, if you go there try koh rong the island nearby. Make sure to have plenty of cash though if you do since there's no atms on the island
>>
Can anyone recommend some fun stuff to do in South Thailand?

I'm going to spend my time in Singapore and Cambodia, I won't have the chance to make it North
>>
>>1134839
What do you consider South Thailand. That cam be considered Muslim country where almost no one goes, though a whitey on the board who knocked up a chick in Chiang Mai that he is marrying, and is from Hat Yai, swears by it. You could mean the southern resort areas like Phuket and Krabi, or you can be an idiot and mean Bangkok, or Chonburi, which is central Thailand
>>
>>1134864
Anywhere south of Bangkok
>>
>>1134974
Well , then Pattaya.
>>
>>1135691
What do you think about Phuket?
>>
File: burningtires.png (10KB, 270x588px) Image search: [Google]
burningtires.png
10KB, 270x588px
>>1135727
>>1135691
I've heard Pattaya is just a place for traps, is that more or less true?

Suppose I did want an escort but one that is actually female, do they come with an ID card, or a pink tattoo of some sort?
>>
>>1135908
>I've heard Pattaya is just a place for traps, is that more or less true?
No, it's not true. Alot of night clubs won't even let ladyboys in.
>>
>>1135910
Which ones? Do they have a sign on the door or something?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1467884932944.jpg (22KB, 448x600px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1467884932944.jpg
22KB, 448x600px
>>1135920
Or just the bouncer won't let them in. As far as one gogo bars, if it's a lady boy bar they will advertise as such. Plus it's not hard to spot a lady boy once you know what to look far. And I as I said, a ladyboy won't lie to you or keep being a lady boy a secret. The reason most "straight" people end up "accidentally" fucking a ladyboy is they get so wasted they don't give a fuck. Especially since they tend to be more attractive than the real women. Same can't be said for Phillipines and many other places.
>>
I'm visiting Cambodia in November and I like to do tours but I'm very expensive on Viator, Expedia and other online tour sites. For example, a day tour in Phnom Penh on Viator or Expedia costs £80-100 which is ridiculous, considering I've done cheaper city day tours in Western countries

Is it easy and cheaper to get tours while I am in the country? I think a lot of hotels there might help organise tours for you. Before I go on holiday I usually have all my day tours planned so I'm not used to just organising a day beforehand while on holiday
>>
>>1136090
I don't think you can blame latent homosexuality on being drunk anon
>>
>>1136095
What do you want to tour? There isn't much to see in Phnom Penh. You can hire any tuk tuk for about $20 for the whole day to bring you to all the interesting places. A guide speaking fluent English would cost more, but I don't see any reason to hire one.
>>
Are there any other cities in Thailand other than Bangkok and Chiang Mai where you can spend more than 2+ days there?

I'm into historical stuff and natural beauty; I'm not much of a party person or a beach person
>>
>>1136206
You can spend some time in any mid-size city sampling Thai food and relaxing. If you like historical stuff Ayutthaya is a good idea, I went there twice and spend two days both times, would go again.
>>
>>1136217

Not >>1136206 but what about Sukhothai? I'm thinking about riding the train between Chiang Mai and Bangkok and I figured I'd break up the train ride with a stop or two in between.
>>
>>1136399
>I'm thinking about riding the train between Chiang Mai and Bangkok

I was thinking the same thing, any idea how much this costs?
>>
>>1136399
Sukhothai is great. I found it about equally as enjoyable as Ayutthuya. The ruins are more impressive in Sukhothai although the fact that Ayutthuya is not a distinct historical park and rather ruins scattered through the city/town makes it more enjoyable for exploring IMO. Sukhothai just feels a bit more sterile as all the temples/ruins are within the historial park which is just nice paved roads running between them to cycle/walk along. Both incredible sites though and worthy in their own rights
>>
>>1136399
>>1136720
I have never heard of this place
>>
>>1120537
Not the anon, but I came close to that when I went to China

I was so insecure that I barely ate anything for the first 2 days. The first time I tried something normal for them I just randomly grabbed a decent noodle looking plate at this food court thing. It was mostly cold, not all that great. This went on for like 2 more days until someone started showing me around, and then it was one of the best vacations I've ever had.

But yea, if you're retarded like some of us are, and in a very different country with a Wall of Language-barier, it's easy to fail at traveling
>>
>>1120507
best places for surfing are closed now.
>>
>>1137732
When are they open?
>>
There's pretty much just a dry and rainy season.
>>
>>1138733
When nature regenerates I guess. Supposedly too much tourism led the gov to make them off limits.
>>
Guy who made Pattaya thread... I told you so...
>>
>>1139281
Oh so it's shut down indefinitely? All over or certain places?
>>
>>1127813
I've got myself a Osprey Atmos, specifically made for sweat. Got as a backpacking bag over a travel backpacking bag so not sure if it applies.
>>
>>1138955
What are the times for each?
>>
>>1120183
Most of the time they don't have or use AC, so they take showers to cool as well. Also, if there are squat toilets, carry a small bar of soap in a ziplock bag and you can take a shower afterward
>>
>>1120341
Dude, get your ass to pattaya. Estimated 1000 drinking spots thousands of bar girls. You just pull up a bar stool and a bar girl will aproach, buy me a drink (ask the price as its about 3 - 5x more than your drink) she will be older, as she probably speaks some english. Be polite, buy her a drink, if you spot a qt ask this gal, I'd like to have a drink with that girl. She will go get her, you can talk, discuss details, long time, short time, etc. if you like, ask to bar fine her, which means give money to the house to take her you. Easy a pie. Oh and make sure you bring plenty of western condoms, thai condoms are sized for little boys and it will cut off circulation pretty quick
>>
>>1120895
Goddam, thail street food is 1/5 the cost at 1000x the quality. Been to thai 20x all I eat is street food
>>
>>1142338
What if I don't want an older woman? I'm 24 but everyone I've hooked up with either been in her 30s or even 40s.

For once I'd like a girl that's actually my age, or younger. Still legal of course, but I'm just tired of the "milfs".
>>
>>1118198
For very high end hotels maybe or during a festival or chinese new year (no faggots the chinese fill rooms during this major hoilday), but if you are going to bring a gal back to your place, a cheaper place is better (make sure they don't have a joiner fee (if you bring a guest)). Heck most bars have rooms for 400 - 1000 baht a night and are quite nice (maybe have tv, but your there to play anyways). Watch out for touts or taxi drivers arranging lodging, better to find a pub order a drink talk to the bar tender they know where the cheap rooms are (if not right there)
>>
>>1120164

You might try a ripe papaya as they are better tasting than, say, a cantelope. They make papaya salad from green papaya.
>>
>>1121774
Soi = street

Soi nana, soi cowboy = popular adult and nightlife areas

Khao San Road = popular with backpackers and less red light area, lots of hostels (green room) extending to soi rambutri
>>
>>1122793

Dude the only way you're going to get in trouble for prostitution in thailand is if you try (underage) or you fail to pay. Remember the bar fine is just for the house you need to negotiate price with the gal first (short time/long time/bj etc)
>>
>>1122793
Thai martial arts, they will fuck you up, unless you are a major martial arts motherfucker, stay clear. They do have matches you can attend. But if you het fucked up it could ruin your whole vacation.
>>
>>1123130
Hi, my 2 cents worth. Thais are pretty clean. I always stayed at guest houses which pretty much are the rooms above pubs. Always clean (20x trips) never had a problem. For example, I see you are going to book 4-5 days on bangkok, if you book online you have cancellation fees etc.

But my concern is jet lag. Probably you are going to fly into BKK anyways, book a night at the green house on khao san road for your first night to recouperate. Don't forget pattaya, its a lot of fun. But 4-5 days in bangkok, why?
>>
>>1132452
The train is cheapest, but slower. I booked like the cheapest train
>>
>>1130168
Hat yai? It wasn"t that bad, stayed in malaysia (penang) for two years, also did the two crossings south in yala (the three southern provinces you should stay out of)
>>
>>1132762
Lot of scenery on those two hours...if time is no object take the train. I think you can get a train to butterworth and then down to singapore.
>>
>>1129840
Well, the cambodian roads looked like bomb craters from the war and if you break down or get a flat, also how about buying gas from soda bottles
>>
>>1127271
Geezus, the thais are clean, I always stayed at 300 - 600 baht guest houses they were always clean. You can always look at them before you pay, if you don't like it go elsewhere
>>
>>1132814

Also the train stations have a pay showers (albeit dirty) so you wont need a hotel for the transit time, but they have squat toilets. Oh and learn how to use chopsticks and carry toilet paper with you
>>
>>1133374
Hong kong = expensive,

I'd suggest shanghai also expensive, but a lot more to see and do.
>>
>>1133391
Ok but

Singapore prostituion/ food

Vs

Thai probably 1/5 the price for both?
>>
>>1134864

Well, thats not true cha-am, hua hin, phuket, pattaya are all safe.

I slept outside on several three day visa renewals in hat yai, not much worth seeing. One night the police chief came over and asked if I wanted to sleep in the jail because of criminals, but I declined.

southern Thai provinces of Pattani (Patani), Yala (Jala), Narathiwat (Menara)—also known as the three Southern Border Provinces (SBP)[14]—as well as neighbouring parts of Songkhla Province, these are ones to stay out of, not much touristy stuff here, towns (I've been to a couple of them) are all gray, they roll up the town at dusk not much to do or see.

Go to koh phi phi instead
>>
>>1135908
Ha ha, katoeys are usually tall, adam's apple, have huge feet, generally not cute. But the one test if you're not sure is to place your palm flat over the forehead, males have a "ridge" above the eyes (and yes they do have surgery for this)
>>
>>1135910
Dude they have whole clubs just for katoeys.
>>
I am Thai and advise you to travel around Southern Thailand. The nicest beaches are there for example Phuket and PhangNga Bay or even Khao Lak.

Pattaya is a shithole; the beaches have litter every where.

Though I am a bit biased on this part since my grandparents live near Phuket.
>>
>>1136090

Goddam, I've seen plenty of katoeys that are fucking hideous. I remember a farang walking in with a katoey, my mouth dropped, hey, this is my girl! Dude looked one of those easter island head scuptures, whatever, but that aint no woman you have there
>>
>>1142340
No, read what I posted. The older gal probably knows english. She is your connection to the pretty and younger girls all for the price of a lady drink (buy her one) of you see a younger girl you like, then ask, I 'd like to have a drink with that lady, who may not speak any/much english. You should easily see plenty 18+ girls there.

Pattaya walking street has russian girls but expect to pay good sum
>>
>>1142386
Well call me a pig then, I love that shithole.
>>
>>1135908
http://www.pattayaunlimited.com/10-ways-to-spot-katoey-in-thailand/
>>
>>1142396
Different strokes for different folks.

I don;t think Pattaya also have these:
http://surinislands.com/
http://www.phuket.com/island/phangnga.htm#
>>
>>1142398
True but koh larn and a couple of others are close and real nice
>>
>>1142386
Isn't Phucket closed now?
>>
>>1117521
No, because the traditional dishes and food of cambodia was dedtroyed by the khmer rouge. There are restaurants that recreates them, usually run by former exiles or the family of, but you have to look for them.
>>
Would I need a long list of vaccinations for a trip to Cambodia? I'll be staying in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap.
>>
Wrote about places to visit in Brunei. http://www.natal.space/brunei/
>>
File: giant-centipede.jpg (167KB, 1600x1063px) Image search: [Google]
giant-centipede.jpg
167KB, 1600x1063px
What are some cool things to see in Thailand?
Anyone ever take a train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai?

Or should I just say fuck Bangkok and fly into Chiang Mai, I was under the impression that international flights to CM would cost more, is this true?
>>
>>1133391

William Gibson described Singapore as "Disneyland with the death penalty"

You will have a much better time in Thailand for girls, just ask around some of the mongering forums about beer bars, gogo bars, etc
>>
>>1133641

Everywhere

Ramadan night markets were cool as well
>>
>>1142339

Absolutely this

I lived in SEA for 6 months and ate the street food every day, never got food poisoning once
>>
>>1142347

But stay away from the Durian

It is the fruit of Satan
>>
>>1143156
Can you tell us some of the food, names of dishes yu ate, or was it just unidentified gruel of some sort?
>>
>>1143119
You want to fly into Bangkok, then book a flight to Chiang Mai on a local/regional airline like Yes Asia. Nothing wrong with the train if you have the time
>>
>>1143162
Pad thai, pad see ew, som tam, curry with rice, satay (indonesian), chicken, lots of fresh fruit including durian (the king of fruits) mangosteen, pomelo, chempedak, rambutan

If you can't get to a thai restaurant, get to the supermarket frozen section they'll have some thai dishes, yeah its not the real thing but it will give you an idea. Especially curry, which is kind of a universal dish. But it beats eating something that you can get at home (thats WHY you travel) and try the durian, so you can at least say you've tried it.
>>
>>1143162
Thai food is god tier and frequently very pleasing to the eye.

Unless you eat curry. Don't confuse india curry with thai curry. Thai curry is more mellow and slightly soupy and sweet.
>>
>>1142759
Why? I was there in 2008 - 2010 and its all rebuilt, that I noted
>>
>>1143157
Durian is freakishly good, tastes like a sweet flavored ice cream maybe a hint of garlic, although it can smell like wet tennis shoes
>>
>>1143549
I have noticed, even among SEAS, you either love it or it's the worst thing on earth. No in-between.
>>
File: thai train bed.jpg (480KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
thai train bed.jpg
480KB, 1200x900px
>>1143119
>>1143175
I second that opinion. On first trip we took the "luxury" night bus from bangkok to chiang mai because it was cheaper. Worst decision, NEVER TAKE THE NIGHT BUS. You will not sleep. No room, it's moisty air, got no seatbelts and it's rumbly. You will be totally wasted next day.
The train costs a bit more and takes very long (think from 12 up to 15 hours), but there you can sleep well because they have pic related.
We then just took planes to the south and back to bangkok. Pretty relaxed, but have to fit in your budget.
If i remember correctly the prices from bangkok to chiang mai where something like 27 € bus, 40 € train, 65 € flight.
>>
>>1143773
Great info man, thanks a lot!

I think I'll opt for the train because I love trains but mostly because I am so fucking broke. If there was a day bus I'd just endure that and look out the windows, though your "luxury" in quotes scares me.
>>
File: DSC06073.jpg (4MB, 1872x3344px) Image search: [Google]
DSC06073.jpg
4MB, 1872x3344px
>>1144449
The problem with the bus is, you don't know what you get. You just get to some random travel agency in the streets and book it. The pictures they show you are definitley not the bus you will spend a whole night in.
Don't take a day bus. You will have wasted a day and still have to pay for accomodation in the night. just take the night train. that way you pay for travel + accomodation and can sleep quite well.
travel tips for Chiang Mai:
1. take a cooking class. they take you to the market, show you all the ingredients and you get to make up to 5 dishes. it was the best curry i have ever eaten. fun times! i recommend the Thai kitchen cookery centre.
2. visit the elephant nature park. it's a sanctuary for mistreated elephants. a day costs ~60 euro. they pick you up at hotel and get you back. best day of my life. i washed and fed elephants. pic related.
3. take a jungle tour. it is fairly cheep for what you get, you have a cool guide and other backpackers from around the world. you will sleep at some random jungle village on top of a mountain. they will offer you beer and weed for small money. very safe and fun. you will see the milky way in all it's glory because no light pollution.
hope i could help, have fun bro.
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.