[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

USA Road Trip

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

File: Trip rough plan.gif (363KB, 1100x704px) Image search: [Google]
Trip rough plan.gif
363KB, 1100x704px
So I'm driving across the country, do you know any good spots along my route?
>>
>>1116094
Trade the I90 for the I80 between Illinois and Wyoming and you should be alright.
>>
Bump out of interest. Are you leaving from NYC? How long do you expect to take?

I am planning a similar trip with friends from Houston to the Grand Canyon to Sacramento to Yellowstone and then to Denver and back to Houston. I might leave between Denver and Yellowstone to go up north. I posted this in another thread and it is still in early planning mode.
>>
File: 1463542308627.gif (363KB, 1100x704px) Image search: [Google]
1463542308627.gif
363KB, 1100x704px
>skipping arches
>skipping yosemite
>skipping yellowstone
>skipping carlsbad caverns
>skipping new orleans
>>
>>1116094
Drive through Independence Pass in Colorado if you are going after May 30th. Take the cog railway up to Pike's Peak or if your car can handle it you can drive up there yourself. Shit ton of good breweries in Colorado so you basically can't go wrong beer wise. Sante Fe has great food. Definetly stop in Sante Fe for some great Southwestern food and some nice historic shit.

Personally I'd alter your route in the west coast a bit and take route 1 up the California coast and then route 101 up the Oregon and Washington coasts.
>>
>>1116099
Well I'm actually leaving from Austin, and I expect at least 3 months, but it will probably be more like 6. I don't know where I will find wonderful things that keep me in one place for a time, so it's all up in the air.
Your trip sounds pretty amazing, good luck with it!
>>
>>1116103
>skipping canyonland
>skipping death valley
>>
>>1116103
The line on the map merely indicates my heading on highways from region to region. There could be any number of smaller detours along the way. That's the point of this thread, to basically mooch ideas off of you guys who might have done this before.
Turns out I had saved all of the places you suggested as possible stops already, except Carlsbad. So thank you, those were exactly the kind of things I'm looking for.
>>
>>1116129
Stay off the highways as much as you can
>>
If you planning on going to New Orleans when you get up through MS don't stop in Jackson (unless you need whataburger), instead stop in Oxford
it gets ranked one of the best small towns in America and it's on the way to Memphis anyways
>>
There's nothing in Tennessee worth skipping Charleston and Savannah over, FYI.
>>
>>1116103
>not including the gulf coast
>>
>>1116166
Might as well keep going to Destin/Panama City and cutting up through Birmingham to Nashville if you want to see the best beaches in North America
>>
>>1116288
>destin/panama city
>"best beaches in north america"

They arent even the best beaches in Florida.
>>
>>1116350
you sir, are mistaken
>>
>>1116353
Yeah, i guess if you like staring at condo towers and hotel complexes on your overdeveloped beach while spring breakers litter and block your view of the water. Panama city rules bro!

Sanibel and Honeymoon Island take a giant shit on any of your disgusting Alabama-tier beaches.
>>
>>1116373
it does rule

I went there, got drunk, fucked bitches, and the local business and property owners got a nice chunk of change
>>
>>1116376
I hope you understand that's not what many /trv/-ers are looking for in a beach. Glad you had a good time.
>>
>>1116379
>Real Traveler®
>>
>>1116381
Never said anything about that.
>>
File: rings 086.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
rings 086.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>1116382
Getting back on topic here, beaches are nice and all, but I'm looking for more of an adventure. I want to do stuff like find a cave in the mountains, or urbex an abandoned hospital.
I know the Rust Belt is the place to find the hospital, and there are plenty of mountains to choose from, but what are some of the magical spots you guys have found? Please do share the love.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (359KB, 1500x688px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
359KB, 1500x688px
>>1116409
It's out of your way, but Lake Crescent in Olympic National Park is one of the best places i have ever been. Crystal clear blue-green water surrounded by mountains, and there's a pier you can dive off and kayaks for rent.
>>
>>1116428
Well I plan to go to every region of the country eventually, so everything is on the table at this point. Thanks for the tip, it looks amazing.
>>
When going west from Denver, skip the Wyoming Hwy through Cheyenne. Take the mountain roads due west of Denver. One of the best parts of America.

PNW rules. I'd hug the coast up there.

Skip Memphis. Tennessee rules. North Idaho is beautiful.
>>
>Los Angeles

Asian girls everywhere, UCLA.
>>
>>1116104
>Washington coast
It is VERY nice, and I recommend you go through Anacortes for the coast, spend some more time in WA, its a sight to be seen
>>
>>1116094
It might be implied on your map (can't really tell) but try to at least do some time on the Blue Ridge Parkway (Virginia to North Carolina). It's a pretty amazing road.
>>
>>1116591
can confirm

socal resident all my life. keep meeting people who aren't aware of the asian population in socal.

i know i'm gonna sound like a sjw but i legitimately love the diversity of la and orange counties. Great food everywhere and just a lot of variety in lifestyles and culture but it's all pretty good natured at least at this point in time.
>>
>>1116584

>PNW rules. I'd hug the coast up there.

I second this. Oregon is a beautiful state, I-5 manages to go through the most boring parts of it. Stick two hwy 101 on the coast, it's a much better drive. May take an extra 3-4 hours but totally worth it.
>>
File: map-of-northern-idaho.jpg (889KB, 1380x1591px) Image search: [Google]
map-of-northern-idaho.jpg
889KB, 1380x1591px
>>1116602
baised on your route, you're probably going to be going straight through the crow reservation in MT. get through there and out of billings as quickly as possible, the drive west from there is beautiful, make sure to stop in bozo and take the blue route instead of the interstate through northern idaho and MT, its beautiful, i drove from bozo to spokane with a hooker once as a personal taxi, it was so much fun and the scenery is beautiful up by flathead lake. really crazy lady who makes soap and stuff on the northern tip, shes been there for 20+ years. Have fun man! maybe go up by glacier?
>>
>>1116114

what up fellow Austin friend!
>>
>>1116613
Dude! What up
>>
>>1116103
Seriously. Was just at Carlsbad Caverns yesterday. You would be an idiot not to go
>>
>>1116103
>skipping Grand Canyon
THE FUCKING GRAND CANYON
>>
Hey guys,

Was going to start a new thread but though I may as well add on to this.

I am heading off to Central and South America later on this year and I might have the time and money to fit in a bit of the States too.

Is there much of a backpacking scene? Also if I do end up travelling one of the coasts (going down), are there many options for transit and what sort of costs would I be looking at?
>>
>>1116094
In Texas as you go past its worth checking out the McDonald Observatory, their star parties are great. Also the Big Bend is worth a detour, rafting on the river, stunning canyons, splendid mountains and probably the least visited national park in the country.
>>
>>1116373
I live in Destin, and while during spring break it can be crowded, at other times it really is a great beach, uncrowded, fine white sand, emerald waters. I don't even like the beach (haven't touched the water in the 2.5 years I've lived here), but it's very appealing aesthetically.

OP, back in 2010, two friends and I took a 4 week road trip around the country starting in GA. We basically went west through Oklahoma City and Amarillo as quick as possible to reach the Grand Canyon, Santa Fe, Vegas, and then LA, up the coast, over to Yellowstone, hit Tahoe and Boulder, CO in there somewhere, then came back to GA through TN. Here are some things we learned:
>Avoid the Tropicana in Vegas; our car got broken into in their "secure" parking garage and they did shit about it
>There's a supposedly cool ghost town in NM called Bisti, but they were filming Stargate when we visited and they wouldn't let us in
>LA wasn't anything special. Just avoid it and go further up the CA coast to OR and WA instead
>The drive up the CA coast was the most beautiful part of the whole trip; don't miss Big Sur or the redwood forests along the way
>Take a tent and camping supplies and you can squat in random fields in rural or mountain areas for a night. We did this a few places in CA and in the Tetons and it was cool
>Also don't skip the Grand Canyon, it's basically unskippable
>You probably already know this, but you can get super cheap on-the-fly hotels that are terrible quality via kayak.com but make sure to tell them the kayak rate when you make a reservation
>We saw the Mystere Cirque du Soleil show in Vegas and it was pretty cool

Also, if you're going to be in the southeast, eat as much BBQ as possible. It changes wildly in different states, so MS and TN and GA will all be unique.
>>
Just skip NM as a whole. We are such a destitute boring state full of pissed off indians and tons of homeless in the cities. I'd honestly rather the monotonous drive up through west texas.
>>
>>1116094
Take a short detour to Asheville. I live here. Good food, good views, good beer, and plenty of unique little things/places to shop. It's worth a day or two. Biltmore estate is nice but very expensive
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.