[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Buying currencies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20160517_202516.jpg (125KB, 1079x1030px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160517_202516.jpg
125KB, 1079x1030px
How/when/where do you go about buying your currencies when traveling?

If say you had $5000 you wanted to convert to euros, would you:
>A) convert all of that and put it on a travel money card
>B) have it as cash, or
>C) convert x% to cash and the other y% put on a travel money card
>>
Those currency converting places rip you the fuck off, Here at least in Australia.

I just take my bank cards and make large withdrawals. Get charged the going exchange rate and $4.00 international withdraw fee or what ever. There's no reason for those currency conversion places to exist unless you can't get money out at the airport and need it for a taxi or some shit.
>>
>>1115805
Good point. I was just thinking that maybe those currency exchanging places might have a better price.

What bank are you with? How large of an amount would you usually take out each time?
>>
>>1115807
Commonwealth bank man. No, it's how they make their money. Check them compared to the going rate on xe.com. Airport ones can get quite bad.

Depends what country I'm in, Japan $500+ etc since not guarenteed to work at every convenience store and its safe over there. Places like thailand and indonesia they work everywhere but unsafe so generally $100 that will get you far.

ALWAYS, make sure you have a back up card with you in your passport or what ever. Lost my card once in Mexico, got maxed out by the time I could contact Australia again on paypass which is fine got the money back but completely fucked me with money for a few days until I got back state side to pick up a replacement that they do at locations generally everywhere outside thirdworld. But, this also double screwed me since I couldn't rent cars with out a card with my name on it in other locations before I flew out just lucky I had some american friends with me I could put it under while giving them cash.

Good hunting but.
>>
>>1115810
Cheers mate. Thanks for the advice.
Yeah I'm with commbank too, and when I got the travel money card it came with a backup one.
>>
>>1115805
From my experience, it's the banks that are the robbers. Their rates are always horrible compared to what dedicated money changers offer.
But maybe that's just Europe and it's different elsewhere.
>>
If you go to a bank where you have an account and you exchange a good sum at once, you can probably get a better rate than if you take the same sum to an exchange house. But this will vary on how much you're exchanging and how big of a client you are for the bank.
Another option you have if you're concerned about safety is to use prepaid cards. Some companies sell rechargeable prepaid cards in different currencies (including euro, usd and yen) so you could buy like two or three card and charge each with a sum and carry only one at once. This way if your card gets stolen, you'll lose only part of your budget and the thief won't have access to your bank account. Of course this will cost you a bit more (as prepaid cards have more fees and so on), but that's the price you're paying for an extra layer of safety.
>>
>>1115803
The short answer is if your current currency is high, then lock it in and put it in a money card. If it's low, then take your gamble and use bank machines at the country (unless you expect it to get lower).

Cash exchangers can have better rates than withdrawing from an atm if it's black market/unofficial. But then you have to worry if the bills are fake and all of that shit... So it's rarely ever worth it unless you know the currency/country well.

Same With Carrying money. I Don't mind The Premium Of Withdrawing From Bank Machines Because I Don't Have To Check I My Money Gt Stolen Every Time I Get back To The Hostel.

Also, Wtf is Wrong With SwiftKey
>>
I don't buy from those retarded currency exchange place and just go to an ATM. It's easier and cheaper than 'buying' currencies at booths or online
>>
>>1115825
> Banks have horrible rates in Europe

It's the very same shit here in Brazil; and I bet it's the same worldwide.
>>
>>1116385
I didn't find that to be the case in Mexico. Scotiabank had way better rates than exchange places
>>
>>1115803
Just withdraw it on an atm, they have the best rates. Those currency exchange kiosks are terrible
>>
>>1115853
What Interesting Capitalization .
>>
>>1115805
Agree, my bank only charged me like 6 dls(CAD) for withdrawal when i went to europe. I checked the exchange rate every day to see if it was good or bad. I saved like 300 euros that way.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.