[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

City for the rest of your life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 10

File: london_2979377k.jpg (167KB, 858x483px) Image search: [Google]
london_2979377k.jpg
167KB, 858x483px
As a thought experiment, let's say you are confined to stay in a single city for the rest of your life, and can't leave the metro area.

Which city would you choose, and why?
>>
>>1114278
def not your pic related. Working away the best yeats of yourlufe just to be able to pay rent? No way jose!
>>
>>1114278
Probably San Diego
>>
Dhaka
>>
Madrid. Nice, comfy city with everything you may need.
>>
>>1114278
I'm already confined to Las Vegas.

Everywhere but East Vegas is Cali-lite. East Vegas is just a fucking shithole beyond redemption.

Oh yeah and the summers are awfully hot while every other season is 100mph winds.

I'd say somewhere else but I'm practically confined. Sure you can drive to LA in 4 hours but the only reason to go down there is for the beach.
>>
File: Chicago.jpg (1MB, 1600x1063px) Image search: [Google]
Chicago.jpg
1MB, 1600x1063px
Chicago.
>Great Food (American plus tons of immigrants from many different backgrounds)
>Great Culture (Music festivals, good musicians come to play here regularly, best place for free standup, budding art scene, top tier museums)
>Great Community Variety (Top tier or cheap suburbs, quiet or cultural city communities, just ignore the shit tier parts)
>Drive or take ample public transit
>Decent weather (gets a bit cold, but so be it).
>Access to nature (forest preserves, enough in the metro area that someone who likes the outdoors won't kill them selves being trapped there).
>Laid back vibe (not hippie like the west coast, but you don't get the sense that every second is super important in a way that makes you feel awkward like you do in DC and NYC).

Politics are fucked but that hardly affects day to day life. Some communities are fucked, but they mainly kill each other so it isn't a big deal.
>>
In the US Pittsburgh would be good for something smaller with a ton of outdoors and canoeing, I guess San Diego is a decent choice if you hate the cold but also hate the inbred south.
>>
>>1114278
I'd be dead inside within 3 months,
I just need nature, mountain, ocean, lake, whatever
>>
Portland or Seattle for the US.
>>
Tokyo or anywhere in Norway
>>
>>1114278
Edinburgh
>>
>>1114321
>Great Food
hot dogs and polish sausages from a snarky street vendor wew lad
>Great Culture
The entire culture revolves around the city's Napoleon complex of constantly being third rate to NY, or Cali
>Great Community Variety
Soulless Gold coast condos or the ghetto next to Jamal & Co. Lovely choices.
>Drive or take ample public transit
Provided you stay in the loop, sure.
>Decent weather
It is fucking freezing miserable in winter and humid as shit in the summer. There's a small window in the fall where the weather is miraculously not awful.
>Access to nature
lol no. It's a flat wasteland unless you want to stay near the lake
>Laid back vibe
Yes I love the vibe of not being able to venture south of united center or east of the freeway without fearing for my life.

Bonus round:
>feel awkward like you do in DC and NYC
and there's that complex again.

Chicago is objectively shitty and your opinion is bad. I implore you to reconsider your life choices.
>>
>>1114278
Tokyo for sure. City limits are fucking massive so I can choose to live an urban downtown life or escape to a more rural existence. I might be wrong, but aren't the Izu Islands also part of Tokyo area? I could live a nice island life in retirement. Good food, no crime, tons of art, theater, music, more people and scenes and subcultures than you could ever hope to explore. It's a boredom-proof city and I never want to be bored.
>>
>>1114278
Tough call. I have a lot of close friends in metro Bangkok, and like it pretty well, but all humid, all the time is not my idea of a forever home (spent more than a year there and much longer than that in other parts of the country).

I love London, and the greater London metro area includes some more rural/rural-esque pieces alongside sense city. So that's a serious contender. But the weather is mostly garbage.

Weirdly, Metro LA might be a real contender. It's huge and sprawling enough that the metro area is actually a wide assortment of pretty distinct towns and cities, and I like the diversity of people and food, among other things. Plus the weather is good.

>I'm not sure I'm allowed to admit that... I live in, and love, San Francisco, where we are supposed to hate LA. But the SF metro area is too small, tech-obsessed, and expensive to feel like it's enough.
>>
ibiza
>>
>>1114405
R E K T
E
K
T
>>
I'd say NYC or San Diego, but I've never actually been there, so I don't know.
>>
Austin TX,

It has basically everything the Chicago poster said about Chicago, but it'd actually be true.
>>
LA, maybe San Diego. The weather being the primary reason.
>>
Tokyo just for the sheer size of city limits and variety contained withing
>>
>>1114329
Yeah, because no big cities have lakes/oceans or mountains.

I'd live in Las Vegas. I love gambling and loose morals. Plus it's warm for a lot of the year.
>>
File: Vegas.jpg (1MB, 2057x1370px) Image search: [Google]
Vegas.jpg
1MB, 2057x1370px
>>1114865
It's not warm year round. There's a 70 degree flux between Winter and Summer, from 40 degrees to 110+. However, being stuck on the Strip for the rest of your life... There's worse fates, especially since it's always changing, and I love boxing so I'd be pretty entertained in my confinement.

>>1114313
Why do so many of us live in Vegas?

>>1114348
Seattle is the right answer for the US, although Austin isn't horrible either.
>>
Oslo, just because the city is so large and includes massive public forests.
goodbye to beer and warm weather though.
>>
File: bye-bye-hipster.jpg (209KB, 331x500px) Image search: [Google]
bye-bye-hipster.jpg
209KB, 331x500px
>>1114887
>Seattle is the right answer for the US, although Austin isn't horrible either.
>>
>>1114278
>can't leave the metro area
I would legitimately consider suicide. Does that make me weak?
>>
>>1114530
Bay area metro stretches nearly 200 miles from the Northern tip of Sonoma county to the southern portion of Santa Clara county. I work in all 9 Bay Area counties and it fucking blows how large the metro area is. I think it's comparable to the LA area, though LA certainly has more people and stretches further east-west
>>
>>1114865
>Yeah, because no big cities have lakes/oceans or mountains.
Which big cities have mountains inside their metropolitan area?
>>
>>1114890
Seconding Oslo, but with Vienna and Melbourne as close contenders.

>All these people picking cities like LA which are urban sprawl nightmares where you cant walk anywhere

sad
>>
>>1114278
I'd go with Copenhagen, it has a small town feeling and has some nice public parks in the centre. It would suck not being able to get into the country but it's quite quaint otherwise. Plus Christianshaven has a pretty neat place to waste time.
>>
>>1114934
What's your definition of big? Atlanta and Asheville come to mind. As does Denver. Now that I think about it, San Diego may. You have to drive through he mountains to get to the city, coming from the East. Also I reckon places in Tennessee, like Knoxville, as well.
>>
>>1114934
Cape Town has Table Mountain.
>>
>>1114934
>mountains

>Atlanta
>San Diego
>Knoxville
>Asheville

wew
>>
>>1115045
>San Diego
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Mountain_ranges_of_San_Diego_County,_California

>Atlanta
http://www.atlantatrails.com/hiking-trails/atlantas-best-hiking-trails-our-top-10-favorite-hikes/
http://www.atlantatrails.com/arabia-mountain/
>Knoxville
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g55138-d1015748-Reviews-House_Mountain_State_Park-Knoxville_Tennessee.html
>Asheville
http://www.romanticasheville.com/hiking.html
>>
>>1114405
If you deny that Chicago has great food or pretend it's limited to hot dogs, you either have never been to Chicago or are a literal fucking retard. Didnt bother reading the rest of your drivel.
>>
>>1115049
"mountains"

the definition is completely dependent on where you grew up

a real mountain (ie as defined by people that actually live near mountains) is at least 8k feet

for instance, in Alabama there is Cheaha mountain, the tallest hill in the state at 2400 feet. you can drive to the top. it's not a fucking mountain even though it's called a mountain

those hills you listed are not fucking mountains
>>
>>1114278
US cities: Seattle, St. Paul, Milwaukee

Euro: Gothenburg, Copenhagen, Berlin
>>
>>1115058
The American definition states mountains have a minimum height of 1000 feet. Those cities are in America, n thus are mountains.

Regardless what you are saying sounds pretentious, like people from NYC or London not considering smaller cities "real" cities
>>
File: berlin-Brandenburg-Gate-1112x630.jpg (186KB, 1112x626px) Image search: [Google]
berlin-Brandenburg-Gate-1112x630.jpg
186KB, 1112x626px
Berlin
>>
>>1114912
>Bay area metro stretches nearly 200 miles from the Northern tip of Sonoma county to the southern portion of Santa Clara county.
Hmmm.... I guess I was thinking of just SF--SJ and Alameda County when I was thinking SF metro area. Contiguous built-up area, etc. But if we're going as far north as Sonoma and Napa, the idea of staying here is a little less claustrophobic.
>>
>>1114278
Medellin easily
>>
>>1114912
>>1115092
You're thinking of the Bay Area, which is 9 counties, but the San Francisco metro area is 5. Still not small by any means.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco%E2%80%93Oakland%E2%80%93Hayward,_CA_Metropolitan_Statistical_Area
>>
File: melbs.jpg (164KB, 930x500px) Image search: [Google]
melbs.jpg
164KB, 930x500px
>>1114278
Melbourne all the way!

its offically the most livable city in the world, for a good reason i would say!

anyone ever been there?
>>
File: images.jpg (14KB, 363x139px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
14KB, 363x139px
>>1114278
Prague
>Prostitutes
>drugs
>history and architecture
>night life
>decent Internet connection
>>
Out of every place i've been too. San Diego wins, big.
>>
>>1116221
What's the point of going all the way to Oz? There's nothing there that's any better than youd find in the US or Canada.
>>
>>1114605
this nigga know whats up
>>
Hong Kong. It's huge, and has everything you could ever want. I'd have a never-ending party with lots of booze and hookers.
>>
>>1114304

Everyone is missing this one. Why Dhaka?
>>
Rio de Janeiro!!!! All you ned ans wonderful. Nature, big City facilities, good weather and wonderful food.
>>
>>1114278
Mogadishu
>>
sevilla
>>
>>1115094
>>1116407
>>1116416

OMFG!!!
>>
>>1114852

Found the guy who left Chicago for Austin and could be one of two things - A.) just got there, or B.) has been there for a year and deep down hates it and is homesick and wants to move back.

Just like all the others.
>>
>>1114605
I took a pill there
>>
>>1116978
That song sucks horsecock
>>
>>1116978
Did you feel 10 years older when you got sober?
>>
Asheville. Easy.

This is the perfect US city.
>>
>>1117008
explain

it looks like a yuppie artist community
>>
>no-one has mentioned Genova yet
Sea, mountains, a BIG and varied historical center, its municipality stretches for 30 kilometres to either side and contains lots of different small villages.

Seriously duderinos, check it out on yournext trip.
>>
>>1117008
Is Asheville as expensive to live in as it is to visit?
Holy christ I couldn't find a hotel cheaper than $200
>>
Any answer besides NYC is objectively wrong.
>>
File: 1460126959376.jpg (439KB, 916x1896px) Image search: [Google]
1460126959376.jpg
439KB, 916x1896px
>>1114278
The Silesian metropolis.

I wouldn't be able to stand being stuck here, so gotta go back.

I could find warsaw tiring, this seems a bit more eclectic.
>>
>>1117079
Sup underage European.
>>
Don't know
maybe any bigger city from west Germany. Any suggestions or opinions?
>>
>>1117023
I guess you could say that, but is that so bad?
They're very /out/ oriented, there's a great music scene, you can find everything made and grown locally, and you're not surrounded by racists.
10/10 for me
>>
This is the question of my life, op. Been travelling 4 years and Melbourne or Berlin are the only ones that fit the bill. Only problem with Melbourne is that it's a bit far from nature but it has everything else.
>>
>>1114890
>>1114953
Oslo for me as well. It's quite easy because it my home already.

>>1115058
The definition of a mountain will also depend on how far north you are. The highest mountain in Norway is 2469 meters which is not a lot, but even at about 700-800 meters you are above the tree line and in the mountains.
>>
>>1115061
Good luck staying alive in Gothenburg. The city is turning into a ghetto governed by sharia law.
>>
Rochefourchat France
>>
>>1114278
Rome
>>
T O K Y O
>>
Phoenix AZ, haven't bothered to leave yet.
>>
>>1114278
I'd kill myself desu
>>
ITT:
>here's the city that i like
>you are wrong and here's why
by the way, london
>>
londoners, is the weather really that bad over there?

i'm in hong kong, from november to march we have cloudy skies and cold as shit (for us thats 10 degrees) weather. from may to september we have hot humid summer days and heavy rainstorms. in october and april we have perfect weather.
>>
>>1117560
It rains pakis and bombs in london
>>
>>1117562
sounds good to me
>>
>>1116407
You've got to be kidding me.

Expensive as FUCK and a lot of violent crime.

What do you mean by "wonderful food", do you mean feijoada? Cause besides that, RJ doesn't even have its own dishes.
>>
Montego Bay, Jamaica.

Being 21 from Finland it was a paradise in my eyes. Weather constantly as hot as our hottest summer days, music playing everywhere, people talking to each other ... a true community.
>>
>>1116407
my poor summer child
>>
File: sponge.gif (464KB, 500x338px) Image search: [Google]
sponge.gif
464KB, 500x338px
>>1117673
Fugg i want to go there. how did you do it man?
>>
U.S: Salt Lake City, San Fransisco
Europe: Nuremberg
>>
>>1115061
St. Paul? Over Minneapolis? There's literally nothing to do past 9 and most of the city feels run down. I like it but wouldn't want to spend more than a weekend there.
>>
>>1114405
Don't forget that Chicago is the only city in the US top 20 population that has negative population growth
>>
>>1118194
because nobody is going to move to a cold flyover state just for a dying city
>>
>>1116221
More like the world's most hipster city.

>Other than being expensive as fuck it is actually a great city.
>>
>>1117072
the housing market is way less hot than the tourism market. you can get decent hotels on the outskirts for less than $120 even now in the busy season.

but more importantly you can easily find acreage and a decent house for less than $200k
Just gotta find a good job, which is the hard part. Not a ton of industry in the immediate area.
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.