[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 20

File: fmtu.jpg (990KB, 1959x1469px) Image search: [Google]
fmtu.jpg
990KB, 1959x1469px
New Japan General:

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/

*Note about the JR Rail Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1110404
>>
File: 20160510_160410.jpg (125KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
20160510_160410.jpg
125KB, 640x480px
This fucking rain bleh
Currently in Osaka with 11 days left to travel wherever but it looks like its raining all over the country for the next week or more :(
I wouldnt mind if I was by myself and could just sit in an arcade all day, but women be shoppiiiiiiiiiing etc
>>
Has anyone who has only traveled to Japan gotten then JE vaccine?
I'll be in Japan in July, but I am not sure if it worth the cost/risk.
>>
>>1113187
*if the vaccine is worth the cost vs the actual risk of contracting JE
>>
>>1113187

If you're gonna stay in cities the entire time, don't even worry about getting vaccinated.

Information about the decease and recommendations varies a little from country to country I imagine. According to norwegian authorities it's recommended to get vaccinated if you're staying for a month+ in rural farmland in high season.
>>
>>1113192
also says it's practically extinct in japan too even in the most rural of areas. Japan is really not the country where this decease is a problem, despite the name.
>>
I got yellow fever the moment I left the airport.
>>
>>1113202
Fucking kek
>>
>>1113202
Thankfully it's not contagious.
But it is fatal.
>>
>>1112500
You might be retarded man, he never said anything about what you just typed.
>>
File: barber.jpg (48KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
barber.jpg
48KB, 720x960px
Can I be a gigolo in Japan? pic is me, from Brazil
>>
>>1113257
I don't give a fuck about MUH ASIAN WOMYN, but they're fine ( all the same, 7s or 6s) and I need a fun way to make money
>>
>>1113258
holy keks yes please try
>>
How common are backpackers in Japan and is it worth doing it? I was thinking about visiting the big cities and some sightseeing.

Also how long would be realistic to stay? Time vs things to see.

Asking this because I was thinking about adding to my New-zealand, aus, japan trip
>>
>>1113286
short answer: yes

long answer: it depends
>>
>>1113287
Care to elaborate?
>>
>>1113258

can you speak japanese?
>>
>>1113290

do you liek shopping? history stuff? total anime electronic neon lights overload? nightlife?
>>
>>1113292
I basically want to try/see as much as possible. This includes weeb shit, nature, castles and experience the culture. I'd rather go sightseeing than to get drunk every night. Not a huge fan of shopping but I dont want to exclude it either
>>
>>1113299
Choose a city to base from, Tokyo is what i know best so i'm force feeding my opinion onto this post.

Districts to check:
Shibuya - shopping, nightlife, bars, seedy shit, "Hachiko Crossing" is popular for tourists to take photos at.

Roppongi - foreigners, clubs, seedy shit, "Tokyo Tower."

Ginza - expensive shops, expensive (but delicious) food (Tries to be europe)

Shinjuku - seedy shit, bars, random shopping places but Shibuya is better

Chiyoda - Public park shadowed by the imperial palace, peaceful.

"Tokyo Skytree"

---
Reccomend lasting tinder and looking for a local friend otherwise you're going to struggle finding/eating actual japanese food in places rather than typical tourist spots/japanese take on western food.
>>
....continued.

Castles, osaka has one.

Kyoto has the most temples in the country so i'd recommend visiting there.

Fukuoka is a nice city, with slightly different culture, and 100% go to Hokkaido (sapporo) if you can as, it really is a beautiful part of japan and the people are super chill.

Shinkansen is the way to go to get around if you wanna experience a super fast train, (even goes to hokkaido now)
Personally i'd fly from Haneda airport in Tokyo, it's much quicker. ANA and JAL are obvious choices, but StarFlyer and Skymark are good cheaper alternatives.

All in all I'd say anything from 2 weeks to a month.
>>
>>1113187
I spend a few summers almost exclusively in rural areas without the vaccine. It's basically eradicated in Japan, only found in places like New Guinea and the Philippines.
>>
>>1113258
It will be hilarious to watch you try, so yes, I will tell you that you can.
>>
>>1113286
Bad question. There is as much to see in Japan as you have time to see it. If you have a year there, you still won't see it all.
>>
>>1113305
>>1113307
I'll be in Tokyo for a week in august staying in Shinjuku. I'm going solo and mostly staying around the area of Tokyo I'm in while still visiting tourist staples. I'm going alone so how easily do you think I'll be able to make it around Tokyo on public transport. any recommendations of places to go/ things to do?
Was considering trying to befriend someone like you suggested but is tinder the best way?
>>
What's some common courtesy things I should be doing whilst interacting with Japanese people? Like bowing, manners, etc etc. I don't want to be the stereotypical loud foreign Westerner.
>>
>>1113334
would you rather be the pathetic weaboo who tries to bow and use honorifics like they're ever going to be japanese?
>>
>>1113354
Luckily I've never seen an Anime in my life, so I don't know anything about Japanese honorifics etc etc.
>>
>>1113355
just gaijin smash it. they don't expect anything from you, you're not part of the hivemind.
look up japanguide or google for basic shit like taking off your shoes
>>
>>1113258
please do and make sure to post about it on /r/JCJ, weeaboo loser material is always the best there
>>
>>1113328
Tokyo Public transit is the best in the world, it will take you everywhere quickly and on time.

There's lots of stuff to do, but we don't know what you like so we can't recommend things.
>>
File: aspieupdate.png (115KB, 1913x819px) Image search: [Google]
aspieupdate.png
115KB, 1913x819px
aspie friend of mine invited me to Japan with him, here is the itinerary he made and I added some stuff to. how's it look? add/remove anything? move stuff around?
>>
>>1113395
First of, you're retarded for going in july.
Don't skip Odaiba, take the yurikamome there, view is awesome.
Also, the national museum's worth it imo.
You seem like otaku, you don't want to see the Ghibli Museum?
Get a pasmo card when you're in Tokyo.
Stay overnight near mt Fuji on your way to Kyoto.
Visit Osaka when you're in Kyoto, cool city.
Why go back to Tokyo and not fly home from Kansai?
My 2 cts, have fun.
>>
>>1113395
You guys really need more time to do all that. Some of that stuff isn't close enough to do both enjoyably in the same day. You're also not giving yourselves any room to adjust to your new surroundings.

Day 1 seems pretty doable because it's all exploring and all in one area.

Day 2, Toshimaen is an hour away from Akihabara. Assuming you do everything in the water park and don't want to relax in the Toshimaen onsen (big mistake, that onsen is the tits) then you'll basically be rushing to Akihabara for maybe an hour or two? Not much time to explore in my opinion.

Day 3, ladyboys are famous in Thailand, not so much Japan. I don't know what that item is supposed to mean. "Shinjuku" should probably include Golden Gai and Kabukicho at night, THEN go to a soapland. Although I hope you've done your research on the soapland because most of them don't allow foreigners.

Day 4, Kamakura and Hakone in one day? That's gonna be tough. It's about 2-3 hours of train travel assuming you are starting in Shinjuku that morning. It's going to be exhausting and unfulfilling rushing from one thing to another like that, you're guaranteeing that you won't be able to have any cool, personal experiences with these places because you'll always be running between things like a giant obstacle course.

Day 5 is fine, Mt. Fuji is a fine day trip.

Day 6, Kyomizudera is maybe all you'll have time for if you're arriving that morning from Kyoto and have to check into your hotel and whatever. You probably won't be out until the afternoon at which point you'll most likely only have energy for just that one place.

Day 7 is where you'd probably do your Kyoto exploring. Start the day at Kinkakuji and add in Kyoto stuff on the way to Fushimi Inari or vice versa.

Day 8 only possible if you can teleport. Mt. Koya is more than 4 hours from Kyoto and Himeji Castle is more than 4 hours from Mt. Koya. I would cut Mt. Koya because that's not the kind of place you should be going when you're rushing.
>>
Can anyone recommend a venue or club for rock music in Tokyo? Got a few bars to check out, but would like to add a night club or live music venue. Trip is in a few weeks.
>>
>>1113395
Don't know where "DISTILLERY" is, but Yamazaki Distillery is smack in the middle of Kyoto and Osaka, pretty convenient for your route if you ever found a way to squeeze it in.

Day 9 don't be those cringey fucking weebs who get Japanese tattoos like yakuza. If you want to look like a massive try-hard to every Japanese person, then go ahead with your Japanese tattoos. Odaiba is definitely a better pick than Roppongi Hills. Maybe you guys could chill out for once on this trip.

Day 10 seems fine.

Lastly, massage parlors in Japan aren't different from most countries. They aren't even staffed by Japanese girls. Just as in your own country, the Asian massage parlors in Japan are staffed by Chinese and Vietnamese girls. Save your money and do that at home.
>>
File: images.png (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
7KB, 225x225px
>>1113401

Not sure what he means by ladyboy, I'm assuming he wants to check out a bar where they hang out. For hakone, I think he wants to just stay there overnight on day 4-5, I don't think he planned on exploring the area, just staying at a nice hotel and doing some bathing.

>>1113410

Yes, Yamazaki is the one I want to see. I put tats on there because I get one every country I go to, usually the national plant or animal (pic related for NZ).

I tried telling him about the MPs but he doesn't mind, said he wants a massage. Your info on soapland is concerning to say the least.. not sure how much digging I want to do.
>>
>>1113424
It's not hard to figure out which soaplands will let foreigners in, plenty of people have asked that question before so just google it. There are 2 or 3 of them in Tokyo from what I remember.

Also, if you have tattoos you might not be allowed in the water parks or onsens or gyms so research the policies of the ones you want to visit before you go to avoid surprises.

Pretty much every nice onsen is out of the question if you've got tats.
>>
>>1113435

Interesting, I just read that even Toshimaen kicks people out for tattoos. Oh well, guess no water park for us.
>>
Any places in Tokyo where freestyle rap battles happen?
I will be staying near electric town in Akihabara, just in general trying to find stuff to do at night, but not too late at night before the trains stop running
>>
I'm going to graduate from College and my parents as a gift are thinking about getting me a trip to Japan for a couple of days. I need suggestions of a nice place with fun stuff to do and with a reasonable price.
>>
What's the meme situation in Japan like right now?
>>
Are there restrooms on the Shinkansen?
>>
>>1113485
Yes.
>>
>>1113483
In one of the previous threads where you asked a Japanese national the same question, I fucking killed myself laughing
>>
>>1111682
>Best part was the late 90's-early00's era style pop music in english that was clearly copyright free garbage no one has ever heard of.

Thats my favourite part of the Doutor coffee chain!
Not sure if anyone will get this reference, but in an game called Metropolis Street Racer that let you race around recreations of cities (Tokyo being one of them) people complained because the soundtrack didnt feature Japanese songs for the Tokyo areas, just easy listening corny english tracks, but thats exactly what's playing here in Tokyo!
>>
Why do some many fine women hang out alone in Cafe's here? Are they waiting to be picked up? Back in the downunderverse no one goes alone.
>>
>Trying to buy cds of Jap band I used to love.
>Obviously fallen out of favour as can't find shit.
>After 10 days and 5 cities finally find a shop that not only has their albums, but all the older ones I want.
>Take a pile to the counter.
>They ask for my membership card.
>It's a rental store.
WHO THE FUCK RENTS CDs!?!?!?!?!??!!?!?
I know the Japs are honest and that's great, but are you telling me they dont copy or rip those CDs that they rent?!?!? Making that sort of business go bust in 6 months.
"What a country" etc.
FUCK.
>>
File: main_1500.jpg (870KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
main_1500.jpg
870KB, 1500x1000px
Has anyone been to one of the japanese cat islands? I'm pretty okay with being alonel and I wouldn't mind fucking off to one on my month trip for a few days to wonder around nature and cats. Any tips on the best one?
>>1113483
ask 2ch.net/ or 2chan.net/
>>
>>1113450
Yeah, Japan is not a good country if you've got tattoos, they're taboo as shit.
>>
>>1113450
Good news for you and the things you guys seem to be into is that yakuza bath houses will let you in.

You can bathe with yakuza if you want. It's honestly not that bad, but they are pretty damn pushy and will tell you when to leave baths because they want to use them.
>>
>>1113527

How would I go about finding one of those near Hakone?
>>
>>1113481
"Couple days" is going to be shitty no matter what you do. You need at the very least a week to adjust to the new timezone and culture and two weeks to really get into it.

Just do the traditional Tokyo and around outside Tokyo for 10 days, Kyoto and Osaka for 4 days trip.
>>
Was in an AEON food court with my halfu daughter waiting for the wifu, a few days ago.

I'm use to the little beady Asian eyes darting in my direction and then looking away... However this recent incident perplexed me.

Observed a middle aged woman as she glanced and made her way past me, covered her mouth and nose. Once past me, proceeded as normal...

Wtf!?
>>
>>1113531
>with my halfu daughter waiting for the wifu,
I hope you don't talk like that in RL
>>
>>1113524
First you have to ask yourself how badly you want toxoplasmosis.
>>
>>1113528
The only times I've found them were because I was stuck in some middle of nowhere town and didn't know which way was which and just saw an onsen sign and went inside.

This site should tell you which onsens allow people with tattoos. http://tattoo-spot.jp/
>>
>>1113534

Hm, do you think we could get away with some skin toned stickers?
>>
>>1113531
Maybe she was yawning.
>>
>>1113536
How big are your tattoos?
>>
>>1113538

Small in size, but friend has numerous. It's not a big deal, I think we can get a private one right?
>>
>>1113539
You can get a private one, but that's missing a big part of the onsen experience which is being around other people and having that communal feeling with stranger bros. I'd try to find a real onsen that allows tattoos than substitute it with a private bath thing.
>>
It's so nice not to see every dude under 30 with a fucking sleeve tatto and or hipster beard and or man bun.
>>
>>1113305
>>1113307

I dont know if you are still here but thanks mate. My plan is to start in tokyo indeed and get one of those super train tickets and move around using those.
>>
File: gSPngsU.jpg (39KB, 692x495px) Image search: [Google]
gSPngsU.jpg
39KB, 692x495px
What's the skinny on hitchhiking and camping/staying in net cafes in Japan? I'm planning a little Vagabonding adventure in a year or so, and trying to get as much info as I can beforehand.
>>
>>1113380
Well things that had already been recommended to me that I was gonna do are;
-Ghibli museum
-Akhibara
-probably a maid cafe for novelty
- Tsukiji fish market
-atleast 1 shrine
-Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden
-generally just walking around finding things
-an anon said something about going to the top of a skyscraper at dusk

Although it seems like mostly otaku stuff I really want to just explore and up for doing anything people recommend but I'm only there for a week
>>
>>1113589
Also, as a follow up, what's a good way to find out about shows/bands/venues in the underground music scene in Japan?
>>
What is the best time to cruise for Japanese sluts in Roppongi/Shinjuku? Obviously not during the day, but is early or late evening better?
>>
>>1113492
Kek thanks man. I really liked that he replied too
>>
>>1113334
Just act in a normal way and respect etiquette in places where it's necessary. Hostels and the like sometimes have rules, read and respect those.
Unless you're just a shit head with no standards and think gaijin smash is acceptable.
>>
>>1113606
If you can speak fluent Japanese and have good game it will be easy anywhere.

If you don't, you get lucky and find a chick who speaks some english, then you better have wads of cash to fly around with the prestige that goes with English.

Or you just get blind lucky and find a chick who wants you regardless. (I'd put this at 1-3% chance)
>>
>>1113522
The only reason why anime discs are so expensive is because the rental industry is still alive in Japan.
>>
>>1113328
Tinder is not the best way, but obviously it's the easiest way.
This is me assuming you don't speak a good level of Japanese.
>>
>>1113645
Welcome to the OGs at the top of the record labels grasping tight onto old models. Part of the reason it's only just behind the US in terms of industry size / sales. Given the population difference....it's incredible really.
>>
Traveling to Japan in the fall and have Airbnb'd a place in Tokyo. I'm planning to traveling to Kamakura, Nikko, Odaiba and Disneyland also. Since I'll be mostly in Tokyo should I get a Pasmo card and pay separately for the JR tickets or get a Suica to cover all my travel which would include the Tokyo Metro?
>>
>>1113589
http://grrrltraveler.com/reviews-2/accommodations-reviews/tokyo-manga-kissas/
>>
>>1113606
Party doesn't start until late, when the trains stop.
>>
>>1113545
>>1113557
beards aren't banned in onsens right?
Will I stand out with a beard in japan?
>>
>>1113708
you stand out as a non-japanese in japan. no, why the fuck would beards be banned?
>>
>>1113710
>why would beards be banned?
extra hair in their bath soup?
>>
>>1113271
ok, I just need 4k dollars
>>1113291
not a word. I'm good with languages, though. have been learning some mandarin, but I think chinese males are not as much as beta cucks as the japs

>>1113321
NOBODY THOUGHT HE COULD MAKE IT... BUT HE CHALLENGED THE WORLD.... MICHAEL JORDAN OF THE PENISES... it's me

>>1113360
I'm not even a weaboo, you fucking idiot. I just don't want to work hard an Japan seems like the best place to be a gigolo
>>
>>1113665
they are both pretty much the same and cover the same areas so it basically doesn't matter which one you get.
>>
>>1113734
You won't. Prostitutions illegal. So get involved with yakuza and learn japanese. or you will fail. yakuza aren't going to bother. so basically you're pretty fucked. no chance. welldone.
>>
>>1113395
For some reason it makes me sad when people with autism make schedules and itineraries, just knowing how hard it is for them to be spontaneous and all of the anxiety they must feel contemplating going to a place as strange and novel as Japan but going anyway because they want just want to live like everyone else.
>>
>>1113734
>Japan seems like the best place to be a gigolo

Wut? Go to Thailand or some shit.

>>1113761

Somewhat yeah. However, some people just like having a plan, which they can deviate from if they choose.
>>
>>1113531
If you're white and your daughter is cute, they were amazed by her beauty.
If you're brown/black, they were shocked by the atrocity you committed by sullying the blood of a fellow countrywoman.
>>
>>1113671
Can confirm this, it's usually around 1am that things really get going.
>>
>>1113596
Those are all standard and good recommendations. Just be aware that Tsukiji opens way earlier than the public transit does, so you'll have to take a cab and get there around 4am to catch the action.

Mostly I would say don't plan so much stuff that you're always busy going from one place to another. Keep it loose and leave your day open to exploring the neighborhoods you find yourself in.
>>
>>1113665
Both Passmo and Suica should work with JR and subways to get you anywhere you want in Tokyo. I had a Passmo and it worked everywhere I wanted to go.
>>
>>1113638
I will keep an eye out for you in the future ;^)
>>
Have traveled extensively last year in Japan, going back in September on working holiday visa.

When should I start applying for jobs? Seems a bit early atm.

>>1113708
Beards are fine. I've been to plenty of onsen, sometimes someone will talk to you standing fulling naked next to you, but thats about it.
>>
>>1113782
>this is what weeaboos believe
>>
>>1113837
All the cards operate everywhere in the country now in all but a few places that haven't upgraded
>>
>>1113832
I'd seen how early it opens but didn't know there's no transport at that time, thanks

Sounds perfect imo

What's it like being mixed or black in Japan?
I'm mixed myself (black & white) and have heard pretty mixed things about how xenophobic the Japanese can be?
>>
>>1113943
Not black but I don't think they care much about you being black in particular, of course the japs are xenophobic anyways but to them you're probably just a dark gaijin.
>>
>>1113860
Well recruitment happens just after golden week so...now.

Depends on the type of company you want to/are willing to work for, how good your Japanese level is (reading writing too), etc.
>>
>>1113531
She could have been yawning. And assuming that your wife is Japanese, that's a real nice quip about "little beady Asian eyes." Classy.

Stop acting like such a victim you galactic twat.
>>
>>1113943
Gaijin are gaijin man. Your average Japanese girl, if she goes for gaijin, will prefer white, but in terms of just how you're viewed in general, gaijin are gaijin. A black guy generally isn't going to have like a harder time getting an apartment than a white guy for example.

The only really hardcore xenophobic Japanese are the dudes who drive the black vans around. Most of their ire is directed at Chinese and Koreans anyway.

If you are polite and respectful and act like a regular human being, you will be treated with kindness and respect in Japan basically.
>>
>>1113782
Lol Browns are looked down on ? Like say Mexicans ?
>>
Hey, I want to apply with Interac, but I am wondering if I am too late or if it would even work out. I am currently contracted with a Chinese school until June 30th. I had no idea that the Japanese school schedule was the opposite of America/China/etc.

Would it be possible to sign up for next year's employment, or is that just being silly? Is it too late? Is June 30th too late to leave China and head to Japan?
>>
>>1113966
The application process generally gets moving in the fall (September-October). You could always apply ahead of time and hope that a position opens up (due to someone leaving mid-contract).
>>
>>1113968
Well, I would have a new job in September-October. Doesn't seem like it would work out.

I am not going to wait unemployed to apply with Interac, so when would be the best time to apply if I were to remain in a contract from August to June (as I am now) next year.
>>
>>1113969
They generally don't have contracts for those dates outside of extreme circumstances (like an ALT suddenly canceling a contract). It's April - March or nothing.
>>
>>1113970
I see. How does one transition, then, from a different academic year without putting work on old for months on end/breaking a contract?

What do you suggest?
>>
>>1113972
Well the obvious choice would be to look for similar companies that would accept a contract during the term that you are hoping for. You could also look for another company that would allow a contract on a monthly basis or something similar, but then you run into visa troubles.

If you can get one, you could apply for a working holiday visa and work part-time while waiting for the recruiting season. Or you could look for a paid internship or something similar.
>>
>>1113837
for the bullet//JR you have to buy a assigned seat right, just just scan at the gate?
so if you have the Suica card, can you buy bullettrain ticket from machine?
>>
>>1114006
For the bullet train, they have both reserved and non-reserved seats. Non-reserved will obviously be cheaper, but no promise you'll actually GET a seat if it's full enough/won't be able to sit next to whomever you're traveling with.

Also the bullet train tickets are separate and you need to go to the JR booth to purchase them.
>>
>>1113257
How low can you jiggle?
>>
If I want to watch fireworks what's the best time to go to Japan? I know a big fireworks festival is in July but people in the these threads normally advise against going in July. I want to attend as many festivals in a two week time frame as possible.
>>
>>1113946
Basic not quite conversational, read and write hiragana (the characters at least, rather than an understanding of what I'm reading).
>>
>>1114006
If you're catching the bullet train/Shinkansen, that's when a JR pass may become actually worth it, and save you quite a bit of money, depending on how frequently you will get it over what period of time. There's various different JR passes as well, not just the standard one, including one that has any 5 days of travel within a 14 day period from (flexible), which can be of considerably much greater value than a pass for a straight week etc.
>>
japanese girls are pretty and supposdely good in bed thats what they say
>>
>>1113522
They literally sell blank discs in the same shop they are for ripping by design
>>
>>1114186
Thanks for contributing to the thread bud
>>
>>1114172
Theres a couple fireworks competitions at random times in the year in places you would never go except to see the fireworks but the end of july through the beginning of august is nothing but fireworks all the time in the major cities, especially Tokyo. Thats the best time to go if you want to see amazing fireworks constantly for 2 weeks
>>
How is Yomiuriland? I hear they have a Kamen Rider show, which is the only reason why I'm interested in going. But I'm going by myself, so would that seem creepy as hell?
>>
>>1114216

Thx man I'll plan for around that time then. I don't mind heat and humidity; I understand Japan can get plenty of rain in July which I am hoping to avoid. I guess that's a risk I'll have to take since I'd love to see some really great firework shows.
>>
I'm so fucking excited. By this time next week I'll finally be in Japan. I've been wanting to do this for such a long time
>>
>>1114052
very
>>
>>1113526
I think it depends on where you are though, 2 years ago I went with a mate whos covered in them, he never got denied entry anywhere and when strangers approached him they just wanted to ask about his red hair.
>>
File: 20160511_152903.jpg (223KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
20160511_152903.jpg
223KB, 640x480px
Leaving Osaka tomorrow, with a few days left before going back to Tokyo to fly out. Original plan was to just ride the trains around, getting the most out of the JR pass and chdcking out the country side on the sea of japan(?) coast, staying here and there. But now i'm having second thoughts. I just assumed it would be enjoyable to spend most of the day on a train, as people go on train journeys etc. but what if it turns out like driving or flying where you just want it to end? Especially as most of the lines on the opposite side of the coast arent Shinkansen lines (from what I can tell) and will just be in a regular dingy train? What do you think? Is it enjoyable spending most of the day on the train? Or is that an outdated stereotype?
>>
>>1114230
I was just in Nara where i saw something about a festival where they have fireworks on the mountain, then set the whole face of the mountain on fire. Sounds like a Pyro's dream. You might want to look it up.
>>
>>1114274
??? never got on a train? you'll sit around for 8 hours. it's not horrible like a plane and you can walk around unlike in a car. do you like sitting around?
>>
A lot of people I know is going/went to Japan this year.

What's going on? Airfare at it's cheapest?
>>
I don't do a lot of traveling so this is probably a retarded question. If I have a flight and I'll have to make a layover in Japan anyway, can I make it so that I can spend 2 - 3 nights in Japan before taking the flight to my final destination? Would 3 days be enough time to see a few major sights in Tokyo just taking the subway around? I know it's not a lot of time, but it's either that or not get to see Japan at all.
>>
Reposting here since its more on topic:
Moving to Tokyo in july, after living in Taiwan for 2 years. Are they similar in any way? Any advice for japan life, especially compared to Taiwanese?
>>
>>1114345
>can I make it so that I can spend 2 - 3 nights in Japan

Yes and no. Yes, you can do it, but no, it won't be a layover. (Layovers are a scheduling convenience for an airline and are not intended to allow you to spend time in some interesting place.) You'll have to pay extra to route your trip this way (2 or 3 days in Japan, and then your next destination). And, yes, 3 days is enough to see lots of things in Tokyo via subway/walking only.
>>
>>1114345
>>1114350

This anon is wrong. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy two tickets than a direct ticket if you use Skyscanner.
>>
>>1114353

Wrong? I told him that staying 2 or 3 days in Tokyo wouldn't be considered a layover and that he'd have to pay extra for it. That's 100% correct.

As for your suggestion... It's true that sometimes it might be cheaper to fly RT to (for example) Bangkok and then while in Bangkok fly RT to Tokyo. I'd guess, though, a good % of the time that departure city-Tokyo-Bangkok-departure city will be cheaper. Also, flying RT to Tokyo from the final destination city may add a lot of extra flying time, which you conveniently fail to mention. If the anon is traveling for only a few weeks this extra time might easily be an issue.
>>
>>1114376

That's not "100% correct". If he books a single to Tokyo, then a single from Tokyo, he could get a better deal.
>>
>>1114311
Personally for me, I can finally afford it. I haven't gotten to travel anywhere in about 8 years. Airfare and hotel cost was cheaper than I expected though, so that helped.
>>
>>1114311
Got a flight for 316€.

How could I ditch that?
>>
>>1114230
June is actually the rainy season typically
>>
Is it just coincidence the best things about Japan all begin with ha?
Hanami, Hanabi, Halloween, and Happening Bars
>>
How much SHOULD I be paying for a cheap flight from Chicago to Nakashibetsu?
>>
>>1114311
There were some sales earlier this year for $450 RT from a few major US cities.
>>
>>1114382
I think you're missing the point of what the other anon is saying. You would HAVE to book 2 single tickets if you wanted a "layover" of 2-3 days in Tokyo because airlines with layovers in Tokyo don't ever extend to 2-3 days.

So that anon is right and I think you're misunderstanding what they're saying. A 2-3 day layover isn't a layover.
>>
>>1114239
Denied entry to where, though? People with tattoos can go into normal businesses where you don't take your clothes off without a problem.

I would be very surprised if he wasn't denied entry to onsens, though.
>>
>>1113399
What's wrong with July? Whats the best time of year?
>>
>>1114545
Peak season

Airplane tickets are really expensive and generally more people are visiting
>>
>>1114597
is july peak season? i thought it was too hot and humid to be pleasant
>>
Went to TS Music Theatre
Took photo with jap girl flashing nice hairy pussy
What do if JP customs on airport find it, am I in trouble?
>>
>>1114664
cool story
>>
>>1114528
Onsens, we went to three while we were in Japan, my friend seemed more stressed out about it than the locals.
>>
>>1114630
Its no more hot or humid than the east coast, which isn't great but its totally overblown even by Japanese
>>
>>1114664
what's TS Music Theatre?
>>
>>1114671
>>1114528
Yeah of course nobody thinks a white tourist is yakuza, it's not like they call the police if you enter anyway. But they can deny you on principle.
>>
How much would it cost to stay in Tokyo for 3 months on a tourist visa while looking for work? Also, assuming I fail and have to return to the US, how long should I wait before returning again.

Also, why doesn't the US have a working holiday visa with Japan?
>>
>>1114723
because you dropped two nukes on them
>>
>>1113597
another anon also looking to do this
>>
>>1114723
>How much would it cost to stay in Tokyo for 3 months on a tourist visa while looking for work?
I dunno, I've never tried
>>
>>1114723
America has no working holiday visas period and all the other countries don't offer them to us because of that.

Anyway I found a job within my very first month, but the visa process is so long and involved that I ended up having to go home before it was finished and had to return once it was done.
>>
Is it true that japs dont shower or brush their teeth? Will people think Imm weird for doing that 2-3 times a week?
>>
>>1114768
Care to tell your story?
>>
>>1114776
Japanese people shower and brush their teeth.

People will think you are weird because you will smell bad.
>>
I know it's autistic, but I'm paranoid about leaving stuff and I can only ask you guys. About to leave on a trip in a couple days, and I just finished packing. Is there anything I haven't brought that you guys think I forgot?

I have:
Passport
Hardcopies of my itinerary
Shirts
Pants
Underwear
Socks
Toiletries
Swim suit
Camera
Laptop (for waiting during flight layover)
Phone
Laptop, camera, and phone chargers
Wallet

Thanks in advance
>>
>>1114800
Probably a jacket, and mains adapters
Also hope you got some yen as well
>>
>>1114806
Do you believe it will be cold enough for a jacket this time of year? I guess if it rains it might
Gonna be flying with 20k yen and picking up more once I get there.
>>
>>1114779
I had previously been to Japan before. Stayed with a girl I met while I was there previously. Used Gaijinpot and applied to a bunch of places. Every where except Gaba was accepting of the fact that I was on a tourist visa and were willing to work with me because I was already in Japan.

Gaba was the only one that insisted I apply in America or after I get a visa. Gaba was always putting up some bullshit the couple times I wanted to get some extra part time work during summer holidays

I got a job in the first month and just had to wait.
>>
>>1114819
No way you're gonna need a jacket. A hoodie or a sweater maybe.
>>
I just came back from 2 weeks in Japan. I've never wanted to stay so badly before. Everything, every second was so wonderful.
>>
So we're planning on watching a sumo tournament. Tickets go on sale soon and it's going to be at the Aichi Prefectural Gymnasium.

Was wondering if anyone here has gone to one and if there's a recommendation for good seats, it's going to be 3 of us.
>>
>>1114866
I've never been to one
>>
>>1114868
Thanks for the report
>>
So I decided to go to comiket this year and try to catch the sumida fireworks. So I'll be there for 18 days or so. Thinking back on it now I think I may have overdid it. What do you guys think? This is my first time going out if country, I barely know japanese, and I'm going by myself.
I already night the plane ticket too so no going back lol yolo.
How much money should I bring. I'm trying to bring 1000 but aborting to my calculations I'll only have about 7-900(plus a credit card.

Thanks for the advice
>>
>>1114703
strip place, you sometimes come in with your own drinks, dancers eventually strip almost shoving their pussies in the customer's face, you can take photos with them, make em pose , all for 500 yen per pic
>>
>>1114916
>Thinking back on it now I think I may have overdid it.
You won't know until you try. I'm heading to Japan for 33 days this summer and it'll be my first time there and the first time I travel alone. I'm kind of horrified, but this is what I want to do.

There'll be plenty to see just in Tokyo alone, so you're not going to run out of activities in 18 days. If you're worried about the japanese, learn kana and get a phrasebook that you can bring with you. Japanese people apparently don't expect you to know their language, so even if they're not always good at english, they won't be offended that you can't read or speak japanese.

Is your budget including accomodation? Cause in that case I think 700-1000 is not a whole lot. Depends on how much you want to shop and experience, and what type of food you want to eat I suppose.
>>
>>1114937
you think so? I'm using airbnb for the place I'm staying. I don't really know what i'll eat or how much i'll spend on food. I as think of buying groceries worst case scenario.
>>
>>1114940
I've copied this from an older thread, should give you an idea of daily expenses:

"A basic daily cost of living breakdown for foreigners traveling to Japan and living frugally would be:
$20-30 - Food
$5-10 - Transportation
$30-50 - Accommodations (low end capsule hotels, hostels, some Ryokans).
Total - $55-90/day.

14days x $55 = $770
14days x $90 = $1260

Add another $500-800 or so for miscellaneous expenses such as Data Sim Card, Shopping, Alcohol, Entertainment, etc."
>>
>>1114946
if I got the j rail pass would I have to worry about transport? I already got accommodations paid for too.
>>
I've got until Saturday in Tokyo after 2 weeks of traveling. Anyone know any particular good daki shops? I've found plenty, but they're not specialists and their range is limited.
>>
I know this is an obnoxious question, so forgive me:
How long would you recommend staying in Japan? For you personally, was there a point where you started to miss home or were you kicking and screaming the whole plane ride home?
>>
>>1114946

what the hell? I spent 3 weeks in Tokyo and I came nowhere near close to these amounts.

Food - 15$
Accomodation (airbnb) - 10-15$
Transportation - 5-10$

I guess it depends on how lavishly you want to live. I booked some cheaper airbnb's but they were completely fine. And the only time I spent over 20$on food was when I visited Tsukiji.

But I suppose if you want to try the special foods like Kobe beef etc. you'll be spending more than 20$.
>>
>>1115023
>I guess it depends on how lavishly you want to live.
I agree. When anons ask "How much money should I bring?" it would be nice if they say if they're just going to Japan to go, not interested in souvenirs or just want to bring the bare minimum of money
>>
anyone leaving for Munich tomorrow from Haneda?
>>
>>1115023
What kind of food did you eat? I'm going in a few days and I plan on eating all my meals out and spending about $30 a day
>>
Just realized I forgot to book for a night in between my stays in Yokohama and Kyoto. Whats a cool place inbetween the two that you only need a day to check out?
>>
>>1115119
Hakone is Nice
>>
>>1114948
depends on what your itinerary is, but the rail pass should really only be used on long distance trains (e.g. Tokyo-Kyoto etc.) rather than inner city travel as it's much cheaper that way
>>
>>1114998
that entirely depends on what you want to see imo. If you just want to get a quick glimpse, 1 week might be enough, if you want to see all 4 islands, you're probably gonna need more time than that. That said, on the two occasions I went, I did 3 weeks and 7 weeks and I felt satisfied both times because I had enough things to do
>>
I want to teach in Japan. I've done some research before, I know about the best ways to get a job while still overseas (JET, and two private firms with extensive application prospects). However, I don't want to wait for the next school year to get to Japan, though, or put all my hopes on processes which may not pan out anyway.

There was an old thread here where an anon with experience said that once in Japan, teaching jobs are extremely easy to find, provided you have a bachelor's and native English skills, both of which I have. I also have a basic TEFL cert. My plan is to save up enough money working here to fly to Japan, live there for months, and fly back. While there, I'll do whatever I can to find a teaching position that gets me a work visa.

I have some questions:

1. Was that anon right? Will I have a good chance of finding a teaching job in Japan if I go in with just a tourist visa and start looking for jobs?
2. Does the time of year matter? Will I have a significantly easier time finding a teaching job if I time my arrival with the start of a semester?
3. What's the cheapest I can live in Japan? I'm willing to live in a provincial city, anywhere in the country, really, and I can go really cheap on food and housing while looking for a job.
4. Will it be significantly harder to find walk-in teaching jobs in smaller cities/towns as opposed to Tokyo? Or easier (because fewer foreigners around)?
>>
>>1115078

I recommend eating around the general lunchtime, some places are cheaper during lunch but anyways as for the food I would recommend Gyudon and just typical Ramen dishes, not the most expensive ones. First Kitchen is also a nice chain to visit, you get different meals every day of the week for 500y only and theres a wide variety of drinks to choose from.

Most of the places where you get a ticket for your order are great. You'll notice alot of them once you get there. Mostly 300-600yen meals. They usually serve tea with your meal for free. (I suppose its included in every meal?)
>>
>>1115153

To clarify no. 3,

>What's the cheapest I can live in Japan?

I mean by month. How low can I reasonably get my expenses if I live in Tokyo/if I live in a small city?
>>
File: 1436634632170.png (325KB, 382x417px) Image search: [Google]
1436634632170.png
325KB, 382x417px
Why are hotels in Kyoto so damn expensive?

You get 4* hotels in Tokyo/Osaka for 52€/60$ per night. In Kyoto the same amount of money gets you a night in a 2* capsule hostel.
>>
If hostels in Tokyo don't accept credit cards, do I have to pay in Yen cash?
>>
>>1115261
Are you going in the summer? I think it might be extra expensive while the Gion festival is on.
.. At least that's what I like to tell myself since I shelled out €280 to stay in that city for four nights during that festival. Fuck me if it's just expensive as fuck all year round.
>>
>>1115264
>Are you going in the summer?
Next week already, was hoping to see the prices go down at least a little bit but it doesn't seem like it's happening.

I don't mind sleeping in a capsule, was planning to do this in Tokyo anyway but still, it kinda sucks shelling out so much money for just a capsule hostel. I'm tempted to stay longer in Osaka and just travel to Kyoto every morning with JRP and all. Seems like it's a 30min train ride which isn't too bad at all.
>>
>>1115262
no they are so polite you don't need to pay
>>
>>1115269
Try to compare the transport price to and from Kyoto and Osaka for the amount of days you want to go to Kyoto versus the price for the amount of days you would want to sleep there. (Hyperdia can help you work out transport-prices).
If the transport and accomodation in Osaka ends up almost as pricy as accomodation in Kyoto alone, then it might be better to just deal with the steep prices and sleep in Kyoto.
>>
>>1115286
I'll use my JRP anyway so there won't be additional costs. Just checked airbnb aswell and even they are quite expensive in the Kyoto area.

I'll wait and look if I can get a cheap hostel/hotel right before I arrive there. If nothing pops up, I'll just bite the bullet and get a capsule hostel.
>>
File: 1450817199293.jpg (435KB, 1449x2042px) Image search: [Google]
1450817199293.jpg
435KB, 1449x2042px
Me and a mate are in Tokyo from the morning of the 22nd to the morning of the 30th. We're totally blagging our itinerary, everything is going to be adhoc mayhem.

Bad idea?

We didn't even get a JR Pass so we are going to just pick up a Suica cards to get around Tokyo. But now we are thinking visiting Fox Village and other random stuff outside of Tokyo.

I feel my wallet getting lighter with the sudden realisation that we should of planned better if we wanted to go out into the countryside.
>>
are there any dangerous places I should stay away from?
>>
>>1115317
Your post made me look up said village - it's not connected by train and you have to pay about 70$ for a cab to get you there and bring you back to the city again.

Too expensive if you travel alone but if you and your m8 share the costs it isn't too bad after all. I'll probably visit Ōkunoshima (rabbit island) instead. No entrance fee, easy to get to with JRP and the ferry frequents often. Also rabbits are cute as fuck. I really don't want to drag my luggage with me, though. So it's either travelling from Osaka to Ōkunoshima and back in one day or I'll get a room in the area.
>>
>>1115323
Fukushima and inside active volcano calderas. Other than that, welcome to the safest country most people will ever visit.
>>
>>1115317
It's not like it's especially hard or time consuming to plan. You could probably plan all the logistics for your trip in an hour or two.
>>
>>1114718
They HAVE to deny you on principle. If they let in anyone with tattoos, obvious Yakuza guys can show up and say, "hey you let that guy in, so there's no reason not to let us in too!"

If your tattoos are small or easily hidden, then often they'll just overlook them and it's more of a don't ask don't tell thing so they can deny that they ever knowingly let someone with tattoos in.
>>
>>1114776
Only 2-3 times a week? Dude you must smell like a low tide harbor. Japanese people bathe and shower and brush their teeth daily, like human beings in developed countries do.
>>
>>1114820
Thanks m8. There's hope for me yet.

Congrats on your success. Hope your new life is well.
>>
>>1115335
If him and his friend split a cab it isn't so bad. I took a cab up to the Fox Village and there was a line of taxi drivers looking for gaijin so they can make the easy money. Mine gave me a card to give to the clerk at the village so his company could come pick me up. If you meet any other foreigners up there then you can probably split a cab with them easy enough.

That said the ticket to get to the closest station from Tokyo wont be cheap.
>>
File: 1463392674637.jpg (404KB, 1080x1225px) Image search: [Google]
1463392674637.jpg
404KB, 1080x1225px
going to japan later today. Where can i find a waifu like this?
>>
>>1115430
in her room
>>
>>1115437
now i have to break into random houses and try to find one. Then i have to convince her im boyfriend material
>>
How important is it to know some japanese prior to visiting?
>>
>>1115446
critical, you'll have to take a test where they'll be asking you 1000 Kanji before you can gain entry, otherwise you'll be asked to commit Seppuku in a designated Gaijin Sudoku area
>>
>>1115446
You can get by just fine in Japan without knowing any Japanese. But every single word of Japanese you know will greatly improve your trip and allow you to meet and do more.
>>
>>1115446
Are you white or anything but Asian? Japanese will probably first attempt to speak to you in English, and will be impressed if you speak Japanese.
>>
Going to Osaka next week. Where is the best place to get anime merch? Den den town? Traveling to tokyo is out of the question.
>>
>Living in Japan

so are there any other ways to find a job in japan as a foreigner besides teaching English?
>>
How hard/expensive is it to rent a car?
I want to drive around and see the countryside on my own schedule.
>>
>>1115493
GaijinPot jobs
>>
>>1115497
so no if you don't speak japanese.
I guess the best way is still on a home office level with a job outside of japan
>>
>>1115501
no I know plenty of people who live in Japan and don't speak any Nihongo. 95% of them are in tech, the rest is financial and a few doing college level research or finance related stuff
>>
>>1115473
>white or anything but Asian
Not the same poster but what if I'm non-Japanese Asian?
>>
Are the any "must see" places anyone can recommend in Hakone?

Would it be best to find a place to eat in Hakone or wait the hour to get to Kyoto?
>>
>>1115577
I'm Vietnamese and Japanese have assumed I was Japanese, and will start speaking their language. After gently correcting them, I usually get a lot of apologies and compliments on my (shitty) Japanese
>>
>>1115578
there's an art par which is really cool that you should see. Other than that, most people do the usual tour where you do a round trip in a day using 5 different forms of transportation (cog railway, cable car, boat, bus, train) stopping at the sulfur vapors, Lake Ashinoko and the checkpoint on the way)
>Would it be best to find a place to eat in Hakone or wait the hour to get to Kyoto?
I don't really understand this question desu. If you're staying in Hakone, I would definitely eat there
>>
I'm going to visit a small town in the hiroshima area. Google maps shows me quite a lot tiny hotels there but I can't find any of them listed on the usual hotel sites.

How expensive are these usually? Can I just get a room there without booking it beforehand?
>>
>>1115489
Yeah, DenDen/Nipponbashi.
>>
How do I get hyperdia to show me the kanji for the places I need to go?

Or can I expect to see a lot of romanji in the metro/subway around the bigger cities?
>>
>>1115629
It's all in romaji!!
>>
>>1115629
Just use Googlemaps. Also, at least the station names are always also displayed in romaji.
>>
>>1115635
Never occurred to me. Thanks m8
>>
>>1115441
I think you kind of broke any chance you had when you broke into their house
>>
Is it possible to rent a short-term/travel apartment if you're only staying 3 weeks?

Generally, when are these apartments a good idea?
>>
>>1115658
use airbnb, you usually can count on 20-30% discount either implemented by the host or if you ask for it, since it's more secure and easy for them.
>>
In Tokyo right now. What do you guys usually do to kill time in the mornings? I have nothing planned till 11am most days when restaurants open for lunch.
>>
>>1115667
I'm not in Tokyo yet, but I'd imagine that you go and do shit and see Tokyo.
>>
So what's the grand difference between having a IC Pass and a JP Rail Pass?
>>
>>1114723
Japan has a be homeless problem with young adult males, why the fuck would they give you a working travel visa? Immigrants are trash
>>
>>1115688
IC pass is a card that you load up with money and can be used anywhere on buses/trains/subway. JR pass gives you unlimited rides on Japan Rail trains.
>>
File: IMG_20160516_202125-1600x1200.jpg (330KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160516_202125-1600x1200.jpg
330KB, 1600x1200px
Theyve got the largest shops full of shit like that (shibuya for instance)
>>
File: IMG_20160514_184310-1600x1200.jpg (404KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160514_184310-1600x1200.jpg
404KB, 1600x1200px
You can also have a hellokitty grave if you die. These crazy mofos
(Kyoto, last week)
>>
>>1115707
I do plan on visiting Tokyo in the summer. Would the IC pass would be better than the JR pass for traveling?
>>
>visiting Akiba Mandarake
>on the doujin/hentai floor
>notice a few big cameras/mics here and a few British English voices
>walk around the corner and see some blokes interviewing a Mandarake employee
>lady is asking about dakimakuras and the employee is trying his best to keep things SFW
>questions like "do you think customers buy this for less than noble purposes" and "are there equivalents that appeal to women"
>she notices a "3D" pillow and asks the employee to take it out and show her
>it's a titty mouse pad
>she cracks the fuck up when that's explained to her
>after the interview I ask the crew what they're filming and they say it's a Channel 4 (UK) thing about the weird parts of Japanese culture
So yeah, if there are any bongs in this thread keep your eyes peeled I guess
>>
>>1115722
That's tight.
>>
>>1113458
the fuck? Does that happen where you're from?
>>
File: 1400504829744.jpg (110KB, 394x394px) Image search: [Google]
1400504829744.jpg
110KB, 394x394px
Thinking of taking the Night Bus from Osaka to Tokyo, any recommendations or warnings?
>>
File: IMG_20160517_213726-1600x1200.jpg (345KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160517_213726-1600x1200.jpg
345KB, 1600x1200px
Akihabara is populated during the night, thats enjoyable. Sorry for the phone snapshits
>>
File: IMG_20160517_161520-1200x1600.jpg (374KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160517_161520-1200x1600.jpg
374KB, 1200x1600px
I havent tried the huge ones which had actual cake slices in them but wtf
Son
Wow
>>
>>1115833
oh shit they got food crepes?
>>
File: IMG_20160517_161544-1600x1200.jpg (340KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160517_161544-1600x1200.jpg
340KB, 1600x1200px
>>1115837
They stuff those with any random shit, sweet or sour, sugary or salty, etc.
Shrimp crepe, bacon crepe, beef crepe, avocado - tuna, banana, coffee vanilla, you name it
There was over a hundred flavours i think
Look at that shit
Count between 450 up to 1000¥ for the most extravagant ones
>>
>>1115831
What time of night is that?
>>
true or false: the apartment rental system in Japan is fucking insane and practically inaccessible to a foreigner who wants to stay for one year.
>>
>>1115864
>true or faIse
What a faggot.
>>
>>1115764
sweet
>>
>>1113177
Finally got enough money to go to Japan, bought tickets just now.
Anyone have any suggestions for hotels/lodging? I'll be in Tokyo.

I want to try to stay as cheap as possible so I can spend money on other things, but I still want to be close enough to everything and not end up with all my shit stolen.

Tried checking the guide and archives but I couldn't find anything specific or under 1k (for a week).
>>
>>1115901
>Tried checking the guide and archives but I couldn't find anything specific or under 1k (for a week).
go to booking.com, put in dates, sort for cheapest, check location, lel
>>
>>1115901
Airbnb :
>>
>>1115901
use airbnb.
got an apartment 3 mins from shinjuku station with a/c and portable wifi for 5000 yen/day in high season.
>>
Any recommended places to visit in the countryside?

Staying in Tokyo.
>>
Sorry if stupid question but i've never flown before. I have a 2 hour layover in Narita before flying to Chitose. Is it possible to pick up a pocket wifi at Narita then? It looks like domestic flights leave from the 1st floor, but the pocket wifi pickup areas are on the 4th, are you allowed to just walk around anywhere on a layover? I can't do it at Chitose since the counter closes the same time the plane is due to land.
>>
>>1115957
Take a trip to Hakone for a day and a night, train back in the morning. For a day trip you could go to Mt. Takao which is only an hour on the train from Shinjuku and I think there's a fire ritual in the temple on Takao.
>>
I'm starting to look at places to stay in tokyo now and holy fucking shit how big it is.

As someone who doesn't have a planned itinerary and will stay for 14 days are there any preferred areas I should look for? Will look to do stuff like Studio Ghibli, all the famous shopping districts and some famous cultural sites that I haven't looked up yet. Since i'm there for 14 days i'll definitely look to go clubbing/bar drinking at least a couple days.

Where does one preferably stay in Tokyo when you have loosely my plans?
>>
>>1115962
Yeah I'm pretty sure you can just tell the pocket wifi company that you want to pick it up in Narita
>>
>>1116005
Depends on your budget. Anywhere within walking distance of a Yamanote Line station (the loop line that connects Ikebukuro, Shibuya, and Akihabara) is a safe bet. If you're a weaboo who kind of likes clubbing then getting close to Shibuya or Ikebukuro might be a good idea.
>>
>>1116005
Idk staying for 14 days as well and that's about my plan too. I made a loose list of things to check oujt...

kamakura excursion
Shinjuku
Ghibli museum
Skytree
Golden gai
Omoide Yokocho
Japanese sword museum
Harajuku
Tokyo national museum
Akiba
Maid cafe?
Anime center?
Don quijote
Super potato
Imperial palace?
Roppongi
100 yen shops
Cup noodle museum?

Staying by shinjuku station. Maybe I'd rather stay in shibuya if I wanted to party more, but it's acceptable by taxi after the trains stop. Most important part of where you stay is probably closeness to a good train line.
>>
>>1116024
Consider the Metropolitan Government building in Shinjuku for a free view over the city. Also, the world trade center at Hamamatsucho is a nice cheap alternative to the Skytree. Also, I'd recommend spending your money on a posh meal instead of going to a maid cafe. Unless you absolutely have to have that experience. Which is arguably not that great if you can't speak a lick of Japanese.
>>
>>1116024
Golden gai is shit if you're not a jap
>>
>>1116044
True, but it's at least nice for a stroll in the evening. Hanazono shrine is also right next to it.
>>
File: itigo_daifuku_002.jpg (43KB, 500x379px) Image search: [Google]
itigo_daifuku_002.jpg
43KB, 500x379px
If you wanna treat yourself during your stay, get some Ichigo Daifuku. Shit is fucking cash.
>>
>>1116049
is that strawberry embedded mochi?
adding that to the list of shit to eat
>>
>>1116050
>is that strawberry embedded mochi?
You bet your ass it is.
Checking out smaller shopping streets is always a good idea if you want to find awesome things to eat.
>>
>>1115861
22:30 :/
>>
>>1116070
Oh that's surprising. I thought it died down at like 20:00

>>1116051
Yeah a lot of my trip is based around roaming through small old timey shopping streets.

I'm so fucking excited, I depart in 12 hours
>>
>>1115815
I took it with my j-gf, couldn't sleep tho as it was a bit cramped but beside that it's cheap, safe and saves you a hotel.
>>
Is there an App for kanji scanning and translation?
>>
>>1116093
google translate
>>
>>1115846
$225 for a crepe? tf.
>>
how fucking hard is it to buy a house in japan? ive been trying to get in contact with real estate agents and they seem nonexistent and unwilling to assist because im a foreigner. its bizarre
>>
>>1116138
Never bought a house, but even renting is a massive pain in the ass for a foreigner. I had to look at 6 places simply because the first 5 had landlords that straight up refused because I was foreign or wanted a ridiculous amount of extra money for the rent and/or security deposit. Racism is alive and well in Japan when it comes to do the important things like finding a place to live or getting a credit card.
>>
>>1116044
Golden gai is the best place in Shinjuku. Can you not even carry on the most basic of conversation in Japanese?
>>
>>1115635
Google maps is always the worse option when it comes to getting there the quickest or saving the most money. Hyperdia, Yahoo, and Navitime are all better
>>
I'm currently living close to Seoul, thinking of going to Japan (or Thailand) for a week sometime this summer.

If I go to Japan ideally, I'd like to see both Tokyo and Kyoto, what would be the best way of doing so?
>>
Easiest place/site to hook up with an escort or a soapland? I am going to japan in 1 month and i want to lose my virginity there.
please help
>>
>>1116163
Pathetic.
>>
Kamakura is great
shinjuku is shinjuku
Youre not getting into ghibli
Skytree is lke 2200 yen to climb and always oackef
Museums are meh
Harajuku is small. Go on sunday
Akiba is what youd expect
Maid cafe is overpriced shitty food with normal waitress in silly clothes and not all that cute really
Anime center in akiba is just a small 1 room pos, dont go
Don quiote is just ab acerage store
Potato is just like any game store
100 yen is like your local dollar store
Palace is meh, hard to get in iirc
Cup noodle museum us just a room with all the flavors they made on a wall, thats it
>>
>>1115430
Perfection.

Also, has anyone gotten back from Japan and gotten really depressed?

I have this radical thought that once I get back from my time spent there that I would just want to kill myself shortly afterwards.
>>
>>1116024
When are you going? The Ghibli Museum is closed for renovation until the 15th July so no chance if you're there before that. If you're there after it's open again, no problem although I'd probably order my ticket asap if I were you. I'm in Tokyo from the 18th to the 26th July and got a ticket for the museum within that time period as soon as they became available in April, and my local agency sold out pretty fast for the rest of the month.
From the 7th July till sometime in September however, there's a massive Ghibli exhibition in Roppongi, featuring a live-sized catbus for people of all ages to enter and more, so that's a place to go if you're there in July but not lucky enough to get into the museum.
>>
>>1116135
How'd you get $225 out of 1000 yen? That's the real tf right there.
>>
>>1116171
I have been hitchhiking two times in Japan (each time for about a month) and this was enough to get a reverse cultreshock each times I came back.

>Why can't shop clerks be so polite as in Japan
>Where are the Sentos/Onsen?
>Why can't we into fresh food
>And above all: Why the fucking fuck can't the european women dress themselves as decent as Jap women?!? Even in the most backward village in Aomori the women were better dressed than anybody here.
>>
>>1116172
Going 13th-28th july. Gonna check if we can get tickets...
>tfw it's 3000 yen for the priviledge of booking
>>
>>1116169
well since you've been to all those places, anything else you'd suggest?
>>
File: IMG_20160518_175312.jpg (2MB, 3286x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160518_175312.jpg
2MB, 3286x2432px
Which one you neckbeards left this at the meiji jingu?
>>
>>1116005
>>1116024
You might find something that you wanna check out on these maps I made for my trip in march. They need some updating though. Feel free to ask if anything is unclear.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aA_Y29yqHXC2OGVrZrF9u0dwEE8&usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1I_DJ38615142iBj10Cgaavm8_Yc&usp=sharing
>>
>>1115667
I'm doing things like tsukiji market early in the morning and sushi afterwards, or visiting temples/gardens. I'm surprised how much more I'm enjoying the traditional aspect over the otaku one. Thank god I'm spending another 4 days in Kyoto.
>>
>>1115732
Not sure if you're still here.
IC "Pass" is not a pass as such, it's just a much easier way of paying for your train. A contactless form of payment that can be topped up.

JR pass is a piece of cardboard with validity dates stamped on it. I feel like it's only advantage is you can travel on some shinkansen (I'm not sure whcih times, or if seats can be reserved etc.), other than that IC card wins. You can use it in convenience stores, taxi's, all train companies (there basically 3 in Tokyo, so JR pass is only valid with JR trains obviously)
>>
>>1116154
You can go to Tokyo and Kyoto by shinkansen (faster) or bus. If you plan to travel back and forth, it's worth it to invest in a JR Pass.
>>
>>1116248
I'm the OP yes. Thanks for the info. I was considering just grabbing the IC pass since sounds less expensive and more useful.
>>
>>1116185
This basically just confirms my suspicion.
>>
>>1116185
>And above all: Why the fucking fuck can't the european women dress themselves as decent as Jap women?!? Even in the most backward village in Aomori the women were better dressed than anybody here.

A thousand times this.
>>
Me and three other dudes are going to Japan in about three week, for six days. Tokyo to be exact.
We are totally late to the party hotel wise, and the few I've checked are booked. But I have no idea what hotels to look for, what's good and what's shit.
Close to shinjuku is preferred.

Help.
>>
>>1116283
>Close to shinjuku is preferred.
Tokyo has insane public transportation. You can get to shinjuku in like 20 minutes from every end of the city.
>>
>>1116293
Which means fuck all if you want to be out past midnight. Its always better to stay in the area you see yourself going out in
>>
>>1116293
I know, but like this guy >>1116295
We really want to stay somewhere central, especially because it's our first visit. So we don't want to take any chances with taking the wrong trains and getting stranded somewhere.
We only have six days in total, it's our first visit and we don't want to screw up.
>>
>>1116303
You're not going to get stranded anywhere in Tokyo
>>
>>1116303
>it's our first visit and we don't want to screw up
Well, that's no fun.
>>
>>1116313
wut. People get stranded all the time when going out, at which point you'll have to pay insane prices for a cab or do an all nighter at a Karaoke place (which can be pretty fun in itself though)
>>
>>1116303
If you're thinking nightlife, you're better off staying closer to shibuya / roppongi. There's fuck all clubs in Shinjuku, if you wanna hit shinjuku during the day it's 2 stops away from shibuya, few stops on tokyo metro to roppongi.

Unless you're not adverse to taking 2-3000yen cabs back to shinjuku or waiting for that 5am train...
>>
>>1116322
2000 is nothing as opposed to staying somewhere like Aakasaka or Asakusa and having to pay 5000-8000 yen to get home from all the fun places at night
>>
>>1116325
Keep going till 5 and feel like a bum whilst you metro home.
>>
>>1116293
excactly, so obviously you want to live near shinjuku where everything is 20 minutes away
>>
Have any of you guys stayed near iidabashi station? It's too late to change my reservation considering I'll be there by tomorrow, but I wanted to hear your experiences on it.
>>
>>1113557
There are so many things I don't miss about the US.
>>
>>1115153
You can live frugally in Tokyo for about 125,000 per month but you're not going to be buying much doujinshi if you know what I mean.
>>
>>1116171
That's pretty normal. It goes away the more you travel in general though.

If you didn't miss it after you left, would it be worth going to in the first place?
>>
>>1116354
Probably not as pretty anymore now that the cherry blossoms are gone. You've got the Tokyo Dome, the palace and the kita no maru park relatively near. Connection to the Yamanote isn't great, but the Chuo line goes straight to Shinjuku. Could be worse I guess.
>>
>>1116354
You can oedo subway it to Shinjuku, Roppongi, Change at Yoyogi to JR Line outside for Shibuya. Not too bad. Oedo has a lot of connects but it's a fuck on because its so godamn underground, takes like 10mins just to get out of the fucking sweatbox.
>>
File: 1463090376989.jpg (62KB, 428x410px) Image search: [Google]
1463090376989.jpg
62KB, 428x410px
I've never been on a plane before so help me out anons, when I arrive will I be questioned by customs? What should I say to prevent being sent back the moment I get there? I mostly ask because I read an airbnb bio that said I should tell them I'm staying at a friend's house that lives in japan rather than saying I'm using airbnb and it's got me confused
>>
>>1116250
Yeah, just grab one at the first ticket machine you see with the words IC on it. Most the screens have English options so you're good.

Suica (JR) is green and silver
Pasmo (Tokyo Metro) is pink and silver

Both function the same so no need to stress on which one to get.
>>
>>1116410
On the plane:
Your airline should hand out landing cards shortly after taking off or before landing or whenever, fill that in with the address of your airBnB and name of your host, elsewhere on the form when it asks why you're going to the sacred land of the rising sun, check the boxes of tourism and visiting friends. For all purposes, the airbnb host is your friend.

Landing:
Immigration -These guys normally won't say a word to you except to tell you to put you finger on the machine to get scanned.

Collect luggage, walk over to the customs queue:
The immigration people might talk to you, ask you why you're there/how long for, look at your card etc. Might get luggage briefly searched, might not. it's no problem either way.

Depending on where you're staying, i'd say taking "airport limousine bus" to the hotel it goes to closest to your airbnb is by fa the easiest option.
If you need to be right at the door, jump in a cab at the hotel and give him the address, he'll type it in the gps and drive. Pay the man and get out, say hi to your host, and you're in the game.
>>
>>1116414
Correction**

Collect luggage, walk over to customs queue:
The *CUSTOMS* people, not immigration people
>>
New bread >>1116423
>>
>>1116414
Not the guy you replied to but do you think it's a problem if I don't have booked any hotels the moment I arrive? I plan on travelling through the county, have several credit cards and about 200k yen in cash with me.
>>
>>1116426
Where are you gonna stay when you land? It would always be a good idea to have somewhere booked at least for a point of contact. They need that, it would just complicate matters otherwise.
>>
>>1116142
jacking up home prices by selling to forgiens is wrong. That is exzactly what the baby boomer generation did.
http://www.amazon.com/Pinch-Boomers-Childrens-Future-Should/dp/1848872321
Japan has a huge young adult homeless problem
see here:
https://youtu.be/-3-39gRXFy0
Honestly I'd rather they give cut rates for their own then charge you anything.
>>
>>1116135
>>1116175
?
450yens -> 4€ or smth, 5$ if you count in ameriweak monies. Which word did you not understand ? The prices go from 450 to 1000 yen, the actual wtf is how your brain managed to fuck up the info
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.