[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

England

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 15

File: Funny-British-06[1].jpg (91KB, 630x630px) Image search: [Google]
Funny-British-06[1].jpg
91KB, 630x630px
I'm considering going to England in a week or two. I was thinking it would be fun to spend about 3 days in London, then 4 days in smaller towns--i'm not much of a big city guy and also would like to see the quainter, more old school aspects of England. Stonehenge, thatch cottages, shit like that.

is this feasible? How easy/fast is it to get from London to smaller towns around England, and if its reasonable any suggestions for places to go?

When I went to Tokyo I also spent a day in Kamakura and a day in some lil town near Fuji-san. Took a bus to one train to another and got back to Tokyo in time for bed.
>>
>>1105327
Personally I think the south of England is shit (im from north). However, it depends how far you travel. My best advice is that public transport is expensive anywhere here as well to smaller towns it's pretty bad and inconsistent.

London is good for touristy stuff, but I never find it a fun place to go, it feels stressed a lot of the time. The more scenic areas are like, the peak district, lake district and the pennines (for mountains/hills and stuff).
>>
>>1105356
Op here. I keep hearing the English live ti go to the cotswolds and to Cornwall. Why?
>>
>>1105327
Where are you from? This is important to know what you consider a "small town".

My home town has what I would consider small, but if you're American you'd probably think my entire town was a " small group of houses".
>>
>>1105327
Despite what >>1105356 thinks from within his disused coal mine, the South isn't shit. IMO from London you should head West, go to Bristol and the West Country. Pretty much prime quaint England. Bristol itself is pretty modern and fun, but heading out into Somerset, Devon, Dorset and Cornwall is a treat

better beaches in Norfolk though
>>
>>1105536
not him but I'd say anywhere from 3-10K

Enough people for a grocery store, b&b, and a couple of pubs at least
>>
>>1105604
Thats a good description. Under 10k.
>>
File: 1452103687434.jpg (380KB, 900x800px) Image search: [Google]
1452103687434.jpg
380KB, 900x800px
>>1105599
>>1105533
>>1105356

Glorious Wessex Separatist Movement when?

Anywhere North of London is a shithole, London itself and within a 15 mile radius is shit, South-East Wales and Gloucestershire/Herefordshirefine are an exclusion to the London line rule, although you'll be pushing it.

Cornwall is too in the sticks for foreigners. Keep it between Devon and Hampshire. Whilst people go on about Cots
>>
>>1105661
norfolk (mostly norwich) is good
>>
Cumbria is the best place in England
>>
Pic related would literally never happen in England. Knives = worse than guns. Also a lot of police actually have guns.
>>
Not OP but I have a related question.

How is Dartmoor? It seems like a beautiful place and I would like to go there and hike around a bit, could I do that and stay in some small inn? If it's shit, recommend me something similar, please.

I'm European so it wouldn't be too expensive.
>>
>>1105327
You will enjoy london, lots to do and fairly safe. Always a pub to stop in for a piss and a pint on your travels.

Youll be well placed for Kent or to get trains out to salisbury (Near stonehenge) or bath (really nice with a brilliant roman spa still intact. well worth it)
Or the cotswolds or go as far as cornwall and devon its beautiful as fuck.
>>
How long does it take to hike the coast to coast trail?
>>
>>1105951
If it's good weather and you're a outdoorsey type you'll love it. However I'd be sure to map through a lot of areas with different landscapes/ points of interest as a lot of the Moor can look the same. Good thing about dartmoor is you can camp wherever you want; its free ground. Also be careful of military firing areas.
I'd recommend the breacon beacons or cotswolds over dartmoor, but it is cheap and pretty brilliant
>>
File: pureevil.jpg (40KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
pureevil.jpg
40KB, 184x184px
>>1105951

Nah, you'd much prefer Exmoor.

Trust me.
>>
Definitely consider going to Bath, Bristol, Oxford, or Cambridge. Statford-upon-Avon's very nice, but I wouldn't bother going north of there.
>>
thanks for the input, Limeys. I'll take all this into consideration as I plan my excursion.
>>
>>1106208
actually i thought of another follow-up: can i just go to a train station and buy a ticket from london to kent that day or do i need to book in advance like airline tickets? and how long would the southeast line be from london to kent?
>>
>>1106211
You can usually just book on the day. But booking train tickets on the day can be very expensive, it's cheaper to book in advance. Buses in England are much cheaper if there are any which take that route. Megabus is a good low-cost bus company.
>>
>>1106229
*buy on the day, I mean.
>>
File: 1.jpg (75KB, 634x471px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
75KB, 634x471px
>>1105327
you can get to any small town in england on the train

i have a couple i can reccomend actually

lewes is great, its just outside brighton and its retained a lot of buildings from the middle ages, it also hosts the biggest bonfire night in the country, though your trip probably won't intersect with that

bournemouth
great beach, theres a bar called chaplins which got voted best community pub in the country 2 years running, and theres a small town called christchurch just outside which looks like this

you're also very close to the new forest national park which you should definitely take a walk through, get off the train in brockenhurst to get into the middle of it

wales in general is gorgeous with many small towns you would love

you would also love the isle of wight.

if you don't like big cities you will absolutely hate london
>>
File: 1.jpg (102KB, 640x490px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
102KB, 640x490px
>>1106494
i will now proceed to dump images of these places to convince you to go there

new forest:
>>
File: 1.jpg (78KB, 677x451px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
78KB, 677x451px
>>1106496
more new forest:
and no these are not cherrypicked images there are ponies everywhere
>>
File: 1.jpg (289KB, 1440x960px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
289KB, 1440x960px
>>1106498
bournemouth is a great home base to explore the surrounding countryside but also very nice in and of itsself
>>
File: 1.jpg (94KB, 855x573px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
94KB, 855x573px
>>1106499
lewes's 15th century bookshop
>>
File: 1.jpg (84KB, 720x437px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
84KB, 720x437px
>>1106500
and heres chaplins in bournemouth, my favourite pub in the country

http://www.chaplins-bar.co.uk/
>>
File: 1.jpg (166KB, 800x529px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
166KB, 800x529px
>>1106501
finally the isle of wight

i don't know where in wales i'd reccomend but i went kayaking there and it was great so i guess i'd reccomend doing the same

http://www.breconbeacons.org/canoeing-kayaking-stand-up-paddleboarding-whitewater-rafting
>>
Where's the best place to get that downton abbey village town feel? With a pub. And with plenty of 8/10's.
>>
File: chrome_2016-04-23_02-15-05.jpg (650KB, 1917x919px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2016-04-23_02-15-05.jpg
650KB, 1917x919px
Hijacking thread, thoughts on my list for London for a trip coming up? Disclaimer: there are meme sights listed.
>>
>>1106507
nowhere, no one who lives in a village is hot
>>
>>1106507
nowhere is like downton abbey and nowhere is full of 8/10s, but everywhere will have at least 2 pubs
>>
>>1106521

Camden locks is top meme. Worth seeing mind.

A few of them are going to be "ah yes I recognize that" and take 10 minutes to take some pics (eg scotland yard).

Be warned, you can queue for quite a while to get into Tower of London depending when you go (well worth it mind)..

Science Museum and Natural History museums are well worth checking out (more queues but they're free).

Tate Britain has a great selection of paintings, especially if you are a fan of Turner, Tate Modern is obviously more modern art.
>>
File: DSC04970.jpg (4MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC04970.jpg
4MB, 4000x3000px
You might like the Mad Max tour that starts and ends in Bath. I did that a few years back and it covers tiny protected towns with thatched cottages, historic sites, stonehenge, those chalk horses on the hillsides, etc.
>>
File: DSC05032.jpg (4MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC05032.jpg
4MB, 3000x4000px
>>1106959
pictures related.
>>
File: DSC04935.jpg (4MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC04935.jpg
4MB, 4000x3000px
>>1106959
>>1106960
>>
>>1106507
downtown abbey actually is
http://www.highclerecastle.co.uk/
>>
>>1106959
oh yeah i forgot how pretty bath is, OP would probably like it
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.