[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is May a good time to visit Venice? Thinking of going for 3-4

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: aria.jpg (47KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
aria.jpg
47KB, 1024x576px
Is May a good time to visit Venice? Thinking of going for 3-4 days. Anything I should absolutely see while I'm there?
>>
Now is a good time to see Venice because it gets worse every year.
>>
>>1096515
what do you mean?
>>
>>1096517
Tourist infestation. It got bad to the point where the natives are leaving in large amounts every year.
>>
>>1096517
Venicians don't live in Venice anymore.
It's too expensive and too crowded.
>>
people told me August is not a good time to visit Venice but I went there anyway.
it's crowded but once the sun goes down, it's really nice.
me and my wife love strolling in the evening each town we visit and Venice is one of the best.
We also got up early and visit San Marco at 6am.
only us and some pigeons,

just go anon, you'll always find something memorial in Venice
>>
>>1096540
>>1096542
guess I'll be adding to that soon
>>1096556
sounds nice! How easy is it to get around the city though? I imagine there's quite a lot of..water?
>>
>>1096906
Venice is pretty much a touristic spot.
The city is nice and all that, with all the water canals, overpriced gondola rides, overpriced food and drinks and I'd guess overpriced hotels.
I don't remember it being too troublesome to move around but it's been a long time since I last been there. There weren't a lot of roads in the city so you'll have to literally walk around.
>>
I live here AMA

Meanwhile
>is May a good moment to visit Venice
I'd say yes, the weather is nice and the tourist influx is still manageable. Helps if you avoid the St. Mark area as much as you can because that's where everyone else is headed
>Venetians don't live in Venice anymore, it's too expensive and too crowded
The population has been dwindling over the years for a variety of reasons, but it's not a ghost town nor an amusement park like some people would have you believe. There's a pharmacy near the Rialto bridge which displays a monitor with the current number of inhabitants, updated every year
>is it easy to get around
Yes, but you will need to walk a lot. Water buses are quite expensive (7€) and you should get them only to see the surrounding islands, which I absolutely recommend
>>
>>1098054
Your job?
>>
>>1098088
I'm an uni student
>>
>>1096514
FWIW, take a few hours to learn the basics of Venetian history before visiting. It is interesting in its own right, but it is really helpful in understanding what you are looking at in Venice and why you should care.

I guess that is true anywhere, but I noticed it particularly in Venice.
>>
>>1098054
nice! Well then:

Where would you recommend staying? On the main island or somewhere else?

Can you predict when Acqa Alta will happen? Does it seriously affect travel planning?

Any of the islands you would recommend visiting in particular? Already pretty much set on Burano

Also any good restaurants you would recommend?

Also this may seem stupid since it's a huge tourist city, but will I be alright with just English?

Thanks m8
>>1098213
I've watched all of Aria, I should be fine

nah kidding, already started a bit but will try to learn some more!
>>
>>1098254
>>>1098054 (You)
>nice! Well then:
>Where would you recommend staying? On the main island or somewhere else?
Stay in the mainland. Venice is pretty fucking expensive as far as hotels go, and there aren't any hostels. You might find some good prices on airbnb and the like though, if that's your thing.
>Can you predict when Acqa Alta will happen? Does it seriously affect travel planning?
Acqua Alta is more of a winter thing but it's not unexpected to have it as far as early June. It won't be a concern, the city provides wooden planks to walk on in case it happens. There are daily bulletins (just google acqua alta) to keep you informed.
>Any of the islands you would recommend visiting in particular? Already pretty much set on Burano
Torcello and Murano
>Also any good restaurants you would recommend?
I don't really go to restaurants but anything that hasn't "tourist menu" written in it is most likely good for you
>Also this may seem stupid since it's a huge tourist city, but will I be alright with just English?
You should be alright but keep in mind the common folk don't really know English, this is true for most of Italy actually. If you need information it's better to ask in shops.
>>
File: IMG_3160.jpg (543KB, 1613x1210px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3160.jpg
543KB, 1613x1210px
>>1096924

Me and a German friend hitchhiked from Gottingen to Padua and then took the train into the city at night. It was very easy to move around after dark and we had a lot of fun going from place to place. San Marco was almost completely abandoned. We wound up asking random people on the street if they knew any good "spots to sleep for free" with a certain kind of tone, and an Italian guy let us crash at his place for the night in exchange for some pot.

Daytime was pretty dreadful. There were so many people that you could hardly move in some spots. Little alleyways were crushingly full.

I think we went in May, by the way.
>>
File: venice.png (408KB, 953x694px) Image search: [Google]
venice.png
408KB, 953x694px
>>1098273
Thanks!

with the mainland you mean this part right?
>>
>>1096540
I got bad news for you anon, Venice has been like that for a lo time
>>
>>1098735
Yes, that. The city you crossed is called Mestre, it's not pretty but staying there is cheaper and the bus service, while not very good, is well connected and runs until very late
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3456x2304px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3456x2304px
>>1098254
I'd find a hotel in Venise, I had a hotel with private bathroom for 90€ a night (close to Santa Lucia), staying in Mestre would save you 5-10€ but you'd miss Venise at night which is very charming, the sun rise when nobody is on the street, you could buy a bottle of wine and a slice of pizza then eat it by the canal, you can't do that on the main land.

Look for Osteria, not ristorante, for local and not so touristic, but every place is for tourists you know, it's Venice.

Don't worry about English, you'll be fine

Try looking for this sandwich , it's really good, I found it not far from San Marco
>>
>>1098745
>>1098750
alright, I think I'll go for a cheap hostel or gueshouse on the main island then

Are those sandwiches? holy shit, those are huge! They look like a kebap almost
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.