[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New York safety question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

File: Veix-Goodbye-New-York-Color-1200.jpg (302KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
Veix-Goodbye-New-York-Color-1200.jpg
302KB, 1200x800px
I'll be going to New York in may for my first time (From Sweden).

I'll be living at 96th street, Upper East Side through air bnb.

I notice when I look at google maps that it borders right next to Harlem (Or rather, East Harlem if there's a big difference).

Is it a safe area? I'll be carrying my camera bag around as I'm gonna photograph a whole lot, and I don't want to get stabbed by a crackhead when I go home for the day.

Also, what other parts of New York should I avoid?
>>
>>1093967
Same rules as in Sweden, don't talk to anyone who isn't white. Italians are OK though
>>
>>1093969

Not even Asians? Asians are safe to talk to here.
To be fair though, the only people I will talk to will probably be strangers for directions when it comes to out on the street, other than that I guess I'll talk to somebody who works in the subway for directions and people in the pub when I go out at night.
>>
>>1093967
Why are you even asking? Your shouldn't know your country is a Muslim Harlem
>>
>>1093977
Should. Damn cellphone
>>
>>1093977

>le Sweden is a caliphate meme

Every country has it's bad areas. I'm lucky to have them far away that nobody randomly stumbles upon them in my town, you really have to actively go there to even know they exist.

I want to know if there are any areas that I may accidentely walk into that I shouldn't or if it's like in my hometown, "if you don't know they exist, they don't exist".
>>
>>1093981
Just had south when you leave your apartment and you ll be ok. Where you are staying should still be good
>>
>>1093982
Actually you can go north too just don't go past Columbia University
>>
>>1093982

Alright, so most of Manhattan south of where I live is just fine? Great, thanks!

How about areas such as Brooklyn? I really like the pictures I've seen, with streets going under the bridge (?) and such.

The Bronx is a no-go, right?
>>
>>1093985
Brooklyn, particularly Williamsburg is fine. It's basically an entire city unto itself, about the size of Chicago population-wise.

I dont know the particulars of Brooklyn, just stay in or around Williamsburg if you want to make sure you are safe.
>>
File: alg-yh-1-jpg.jpg (133KB, 970x728px) Image search: [Google]
alg-yh-1-jpg.jpg
133KB, 970x728px
>>1093993

That looks awesome for photographic opportunities!
>>
>>1093985
Dude, New York is safe. Remarkably so. Don't really worry about your safety. If you're traveling by foot late at night, take normal precautions, but seriously New York is not a dangerous city. The Bronx isn't dangerous. Harlem is probably the roughest area of NYC and it's not even bad.
>>
>>1093997
Harlem isn't really that bad. The worst parts are East New York and Brownsville,places that Giuliani couldn't tame. Just be alert. The raving homeless are the ones you should watch out for.
>>
>>1093997

Ok, cool.
I will only spend a week there so not sure how much I will have time to see.

My current plans are the typical tourist traps like empire state building (to photograph from up there) or Top of the Rock (Which one is better?), Liberty Island and Central Park, but I'd really like to go and see Long Island because the nature looks absolutely gorgeous, is it difficult to reach?
>>
>>1093973
Asians are honorary whites.
>>
>>1094074
If you are going to Liberty Island get your tickets at the office booth. Do not get them from the touts who come up to you. One got violent and punched out a tourist. Hopefully the cops are patrolling there. The Long Island railroad is a fast way to get to Long Island. Where are you going there? It's known for beaches,potato farms,wineries and suburban towns.
>>
>>1094356

I wouldn't even think of trying to get it from anything else than a booth desu. I'm always trying to do things the non-shady way.

I'll be going from 15th of May until the 22nd.
>>
Live in east harlem. Dont go out at night and if you do dont be a dumbass.
>>
>>1094387

Explain further please. As I understood m hit the area I live in is close to some troubled areas but it's still outside of it.
>>
>>1094389

My host*

Anyways, don't Americans go out partying or just go to the pub at night like we do in Europe regardless of area?
>>
>>1093967
>people are this delusional
come on now dude, it's NY...
>>
>>1093967
Honestly Harlem is a pretty nice place to visit as long as you stay in the good parts of it. New York is not really that unsafe unless you get involved with a gang or something.

>>1093969
>>1093977
>>1094078
>>>/pol/
>>
harlem is fine senpai
>>
>>1094403
>>1094513

Yeah I plan to visit it at least during the day before it gets even slightly dark, so I should be fine. I may not travel much further than 125h street or whatever it was people said that it started to get really bad.
>>
Places to not get lost in:
South Bed-Stuy/North Flatbush
East Harlem
Bronx

You can go to any of these places at any time of the day as long as you know where you are going and don't look like you have no idea where you are in the middle of a dark alley, and even then the odds are that nothing will happen to you.
>>
>>1093967
depending on what the cross street is (what avenue, think east/west) you're right on the border of a sketchy area but as long as you dont go north of 100th street after dark on the east side you'll be fine. if you're on like 96th and 2nd or something it might look a little sketch/deserted but you're fine

i think you mentioned any cool areas of brooklyn to check out - as another anon mentioned, Williamsburg is a really cool area with great nightlife if not a little pretentious/expensive compared to my usual stomping grounds. Greenpoint is ok too. One thing i would recommend on a day where you have a solid 3 hour chunk of time during the day is to take the train down to South Street Seaport and walk across the Brooklyn Bridge into the Dumbo/Brooklyn Heights area. You can see some cool Brownstone houses and the Brooklyn Heights Promenade is really nice to walk along (it runs along the water). The Brooklyn Bridge Park that runs with the Promenade is also pretty nice and worth a look.

as other people said, avoid East Harlem/South Bronx and anywhere in Brooklyn that is East of the places I've already mentioned. I would also suggest taking the 7 line and catching a Mets game, its a good experience and they're actually good.
>>
File: yousabitch.jpg (613KB, 1876x1052px) Image search: [Google]
yousabitch.jpg
613KB, 1876x1052px
>>1093967
avoid green you bitch ass nigga
>>
>>1094641
hahahahah is this a look into the mind of a transplant ?
>>
>>1094660

I see you painted out two small areas by the bridge.
Are those the areas you see in movies below the bridges with all the homeless people? Or is that just not a thing IRL?
>>
>>1094662
i've lived in the bronx for almost 10 years now but ok buddy, i'm adjusting my opinion to that of a first time european tourist ya fucking poof
>>
NYC is safe if you dont do obviously stupid things like flaunt your expensive stuff out in the open, act like a raging jackass, or try to hang with mulies
>>
>>1094660
Yeah Park Slope sure is hard as fuck
>>
>>1093985
>>1093993

Brooklyn is weird currently. It hasn't developed enough to be entirely safe, but the hipster white areas are good. You can be walking in a good area and cross a street and realize you're in a shitty area.

Basically, don't act like an asshole tourist and you're fine. Flashiness attracts attention.
>>
>>1094915
>>1094931

So when it comes to Brooklyn other than Williamsburg, The Bronx and Harlem, I should leave my DSLR at home then?

I don't tend to wear flashy clothes, t-shirt and jeans with some black leather jacket is what I usually wear, and I don't really wave around my mobile phone. I'd really like to bring my camera but I have a smaller compact camera as well that I can hide inside my jacket, rather than a huge camera bag which my DSLR would have to be in.

When it comes to personality I'm not the one who tries to attract attention, so I should be fine there.
>>
>>1094938

You really don't have to worry. You're gonna know when you're in an area that you shouldn't be in. This isn't the 70's where people were getting mugged every day. Act normal and you will be treated normal. The homeless usually just lay there instead of harass you like in DC. I can't think of many reasons that you'll venture into the Bronx for, maybe Yankee stadium or Orchard Beach, but there isn't much to worry about there either.
>>
>>1093967
You're from Sweden, you should be very comfortable in Harlem.
>>
>>1094903
>almost 10 years

konichiwa transplant !
>>
>>1094943

Isn't there a big zoo in Bronx?

Is there any sport event going on in the middle of May? Can't say american football excites me, but it would maybe be fun to watch a baseball game or something.
Is it hard to get tickets mid-season?
>>
>>1093997
>the bronx isn't dangerous
>but harlem is

It's very clear that you're not from around here.

OP, I'm a NYC native, and you'll be fine where you are. 96th used to be considered East Harlem, actually, but the borders have been creeping further and further North as gentrification sets in. This isn't necessarily a good thing or a bad thing, it's just a fact of life.

Even in the very thick of East Harlem, you'll be fine at any time of day unless you actually wander INTO the housing projects, which is pretty impossible to do accidentally. I'd recommend heading north to look for some good latino or caribbean food.

The Bronx, however, is still fairly dangerous outside of the mainstream areas. But honestly that's fine because there's LITERALLY NOTHING of interest there other than the Bronx Zoo, which is a fine area.
>>
>>1095375
Baseball
>>
>>1093999
I live in nyc and travel frequently to SF and Seattle and the homeless on the west coast are way more aggressive. In NYC your biggest risk is getting slashed on the face in the subway at 3am by some psycho non-homeless renegade (and it's a very low probability risk).
>>
>>1095763
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-york-city-has-a-subway-slashing-problem/
>>
Ok cool, I might skip Bronx then.
Baseball sounds fun though.

I also heard from a friend's parents that they took a helicopter tour around Manhattan.
It's quite expensive for a 20 minute ride but I would consider it worth it because they made it sound awesome.

Which is the best place for it?
>>
>>1095868
>>1095375
Two baseball teams in NYC: Yankees and Mets (and a couple barely-above-amateur minor league teams, but they don't play until June)
Right now I'd STRONGLY recommend going to a Mets game instead of a Yankees game. The stadium experience will be much more laid back (Yankee Stadium policies are notoriously oppressive), the tickets will be much more affordable, the quality of play will be much better (Mets made it to the World Series last year), and the subway line that runs to Citi FIeld will give you a neat view of Queens from the elevated tracks.

Baseball teams play pretty much every day, but they might not be playing at home when you're in town. I'd recommend checking the schedule and buying tickets now, preferably directly from the team, prices usually go up as it gets closer to the day of the game.
>>
Brit here, I've stayed a week on 97th. I got there first day at 1am, wandered the subway on 96th at 3am on a couple of occasions and I didn't get so much as a funny look. It's totally safe.

Any questions?
>>
>>1093967

It's fine. I've lived about 15 blocks south, which is a much better neighborhood, but I'd have no trouble walking around where you are staying, and I'm as white as can be. I'd be a little bit weary of taking my new iPhone out of my pocket when I'm on the street in the middle of the night, but that's all.
>>
>>1094660
my nigga here knows what he's talking about.
>>
>>1093967
You'll be just fine just dont go anything further north than 110 and you'll be pretty good to talk to anyone even blacks they aren't another species waiting to prey on weaker europeans.
>>
>>1093997
this nigga is buggin... bronx is much worse than harlem.
>>
>>1095955

Remember though, OP is not some random weak European, he is a Swede. There is a reason his country is in the state it is in.

It can be pretty fun to talk to blacks, Just do it in broad daylight in public places, and you'll be fine.
>>
I stayed in Harlem on 125th and Lennox when I was 18 by myself for a few weeks in 2013.

I would come home late at night, 1-2 am and never ran into problems
>>
>>1095999

oh and I don't remember the cross streets but I usually walked past the subsidized housing blocks at night. Also I'm a 5'10 Asian who's pretty skinny so not exactly intimidating. I wouldn't worry desu
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.