[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 392
Thread images: 105

File: Film0094_01a.jpg (7MB, 3089x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Film0094_01a.jpg
7MB, 3089x2048px
New Japan General:

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your wee fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/

*Note about the JR Rail Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1088524
>>
How is graduate education in Tokyo? I am specifically interested in a computer science doctorate.
>>
How much should I need for 2 months in Japan eating decently and staying in 3 star hotels?
>>
File: 1458070676570.png (282KB, 752x686px) Image search: [Google]
1458070676570.png
282KB, 752x686px
I hope you don't mind if I ask a second time.

So I'm thinking of travelling a vague route like in pic related.

Start out in Tokyo, go down to Osaka/Kyoto (Is Hiroshima worth visiting?) and then going upwards towards sapporo via the other side of Japan, hopefully seeing some nice countryside, going for a hike and visiting an onsen on the way. What are some places that I should definitely visit on my way up to sapporo (and on the way down back to Tokyo)?

The whole trip will be a bit less than a month.
>>
Where do you guys buy your JR rail passes from?

I was thinking about getting it from the same place I got the SIM card last time I went for $248, but I'm trying to see if I can save some cash
>>
>>1091435
Rail pass is going to cost pretty much the same everywhere and some sites might come with a free map or guidebook.
>>
Is there a BAD time to visit Japan? I'm trying to plan a May/June 2017 trip (avoiding Golden Week of course) but I'm concerned about mid-summer flight and hotel prices
>>
>>1091438
Late October into Early december is the rainy season and mid summer is incredibly hot and not a lot of places have central air.
>>
>>1091437

I'll go ahead and order one then, thanks anon
>>
>>1091439
>Late October into Early december is the rainy season
umm no, it's from early June to Mid July
>not a lot of places have central air.
I'm starting to think you're in the wrong thread buddy, this one's about Japan
>>
Is there a place in Tokyo where you can store your luggage for a month?
>>
>>1091450
Not without a 在留カード.
>>
When's the best time to book/order a pre-order wifi if I'm traveling at the end of april?
>>
File: ricksteves.jpg (51KB, 614x409px) Image search: [Google]
ricksteves.jpg
51KB, 614x409px
Is there a Japan/Asian equivalent to Rick Steves? I always feel super comfy when watching his videos and specials.
>>
File: calvinthug.png (319KB, 402x402px) Image search: [Google]
calvinthug.png
319KB, 402x402px
Planning a biking trip through Japan and I have two questions, can I use my debit card and where can I make currency exchange as needed (preferably debit into cash)?
>>
>>1091478

7-11s

And most places take cash, so would recommend just exchanging for what you need now.
>>
>>1091480
Exactly, if it were only japanese i wouldnt be concerned, but its a lot of foreigners. 0 trust plus its a lot of people.

Its so annoying to deal with this? So where do i put my bag?
>>
>>1091487
Wait how are the lockers not safe? I could understand if they didn't want you to keep things in your capsule but a locker? Does it not actually lock?

You can use lockers at a train station and a whole day is considered First train to last train. You can usually keep your stuff there for up to 3 days in a row and there's en extra overnight fee. Next time go for an Airbnb. If you haven't prepaid for your capsule stay maybe switch to one for the rest of the trip. They're usually the same cost if not less
>>
I do not plan on making concrete accommodation plans when I am in Japan.
Has anyone at any time experienced any sort of difficulty finding a place to stay for the night in a capsule hotel, hostel, or ryokan? Thanks so much for the help in advance!
>>
>>1091486
I figured convenience stores or post offices would be the go to places.
I'm not so hot on the idea of carrying a fuck ton of money on me, even in a relatively safe country like Japan. It's just nice to know that I can refill the coffers as I need to along the way.
>>
>>1091501
No
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
I'll post some pics from my phone to keep people pumped
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>1091506
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1091508
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1091509
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2446x2446px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2446x2446px
>>1091510
>>
Has anyone had any experience with Ine Bay? Is it as nice as people say?

>>1091509
What city are you in anon?
>>
>>1091510
These look delicious! I remember having one near a lake at Mt. Fuji. Salty sweet fish.
>>
File: IMG_1327.jpg (6MB, 8040x2936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1327.jpg
6MB, 8040x2936px
>>1091508
>>1091510

I seriously can't wait for my vacation in April

I had so much fun last time I went to Tokyo
>>
>tfw going by myself in may and some dude I met once for 5 minutes asked me if he could tag along with me yesterday
It was kinda odd. I mostly just wanna experience it myself
>>
Staying for 2-3 weeks, should I stay at hotels or what?
>>
>>1091528
Yes.
>>
File: dazaifu_bloom.jpg (570KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
dazaifu_bloom.jpg
570KB, 1800x1200px
Not the previous anon posting pics, but here is my pics from a pretty recent trip to Fukuoka.
>>
File: black flying chicken.jpg (593KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
black flying chicken.jpg
593KB, 1800x1200px
>>1091534
These fuckers.
>>
File: Bird_island_ohori_park.jpg (2MB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Bird_island_ohori_park.jpg
2MB, 1800x1200px
>>1091535
>>
Any tips for a newbie traveler going to Japan for the first time with a couple friends?

We plan on going all over the place; what are the best tourism spots and general things I should know?

[spoiler]The lot of us are Asian, are we better off?[/spoiler]
>>
File: fukoka_castle_remains.jpg (3MB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
fukoka_castle_remains.jpg
3MB, 1800x1200px
>>1091538
>>
File: truckload_of_chinks.jpg (597KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
truckload_of_chinks.jpg
597KB, 1800x1200px
>>1091540
Where are they coming from?
>>
File: 10u1z1.jpg (105KB, 828x478px) Image search: [Google]
10u1z1.jpg
105KB, 828x478px
Daily reminder that, if it's your first time going to Japan, learning basic Japanese is great.
>>
>>1091542
You can basically survive just by learning Thank you and how much.
>>
>>1091543
You can go from tourist spot to tourist spot and get a very shallow experience with that. You won't meet anyone that isn't trying to use your for free English practice if you only know that tiny little bit.
>>
>>1091548
Okay then, how would you define basic? I believe I had a good experience visiting Japan multiple times with very limited Japanese vocabulary. It is only practical for people who will either spend a lot of time in Japan or go there multiple times.
>>
>>1091548
Even if you know a reasonable amount of Japanese they'll do that anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLt5qSm9U80
>>
>>1091550
Not anon but all you need is:

>Sumimasen
>Sumimasen
>Sumimasen
>Shitsureshimasu
>Toire wa doko desu ka?
>Sumimasen
>"Insert food or drink" kudasai?
>Arigato gozaimasu
>Konban wa
>Konnichiwa
>Ohayo gozaimasu
>Ikura?
>Sumimasen

Basic directions too. I was looking for a store and asked a guy on the street where it was and he pointed and said what I thought was "two blocks" when what he said was "two floors" and it was right next to us and two floors up. By the time I figured this out and looped back around the store had just closed.
>>
>>1091557
This is just sad. I remembered one time I was asking the gate for a particular bus number with just "bassu numba jiu-ni doko desu ka" and he already told me the story of his life not realizing i'm just a baka gaijin.
>>
>>1091492
>You can use lockers at a train station and a whole day is considered First train to last train. You can usually keep your stuff there for up to 3 days in a row and there's en extra overnight fee. Next time go for an Airbnb. If you haven't prepaid for your capsule stay maybe switch to one for the rest of the trip. They're usually the same cost if not less

Some lockers can be opened by simply swiping any plastic card, like a credit card through the crack. Its one of them. They warned me beforehand, after that i inspected.

Staying there for 4 more nights, after that ill look into airbnb, thanks.

I got some stuff stolen from a locker like that so im a bit paranoid.
>>
>>1091501
>Has anyone at any time experienced any sort of difficulty finding a place to stay for the night in a capsule hotel, hostel, or ryokan? Thanks so much for the help in advance!

I usually only book 1 day ahead in most countries. For japan it doesnt really work, most cheap places are booked out. Maybe check about 3 to 5 days ahead.
>>
>>1091568
This. I was booking for my trip 2 weeks from now back in November and really good AirBnBs were getting snatched up as I was booking and searching.
>>
i really want to move to japan and live there for like a year before i die
and im not getting any younger
so how do i proceed- i wish i did this when i was younger
>>
>>1091575
If you're under 30 and from Not-America you could get a working holiday visa.

If you're a university graduate who is a native speaker of English, there's English teaching.

You could be really, really good at a STEM profession or academia and get a job that way.

Have lots of money and business experience and start a viable, legitimate Japanese business.

All of this assumes you are of good character. If not, you're fucked.

Good luck.
>>
>>1091575
Also you're 'life' is likely to consist of watching television and eating convenience store bento. Anything beyond a Welcome to the NHK-level life is likely to be beyond your reach design sempai.
>>
>>1091587
desu sempai
Fuck Apple
>>
>>1091587
>>1091585
you seem really negative and depressed
>>
>>1091590
It is better to shatter their fragile dreams early on.
>>
>>1091591
im like 30 years old dude and i got like 70k in the bank account im just looking for starting tips on how to proceed to live there for a year
>>
>>1091592
I gave you your answer, you collosal faggot. Working holiday visa if you can, English teaching job+visa otherwise. Move now on a WH visa because 'before 31st birthday' is the cutoff for applications.
>>
>>1091593
>U FAGGOT WAAAH
holy shit you are an insufferable little shit of a human being
anything you say is worthless
>>
>>1091600
I guess you'll have to wait for the next person to tell you the same thing in a way that won't set off your autism, then.
>>
>>1091603
>LE AUTISM U FAGGOT
do the world a favor and kill yourself
>>
>>1091605
>30 years old
>can't use Google to answer a simple and frequently asked immigration question
>expresses anger at memes with kill yourself meme
With the tolerance and resourcefulness you've demonstrated, you're going to have a wonderful time.
>>
>>1091610
>WAH HE CANT TOLERATE ME SHITPOSTING AND INSULTING HIM IN EVERY POST WAAAAAAH !!!!!
you need to kill yourself and do the world a favor, youre a shitposter who has done nothing but shit on the thread, you're cancer and not the person that should be in a thread like this pretending youre helping anyone by spamming insults and talking le autism like some stupid faggot
>>
>>1091616
My first post answered the question posed completely and understandably.
>>
>>1091621
oh now you try to pretend you werent insulting me with every reply?
you really are a cancerous little shit
i bet your a girl with no friends and just a boyfriend who you manipulate and control
>>
>>1091525
So, what did you tell him? He probably wants to go there really bad, but is too scared to travel by himself and he has either no friends that are interested in Japan/weeb shit or he's too autistic to have any friends.
>>
>>1091567
Nobody is going to steal anything in Japan.
>>
>>1091616
You'll never live in Japan. He gave you the answer and you have the maturity of a 17 year old.
>>
>>1091406

>getting a doctorate in Comp Sci

You can make six figures as a programmer in the states without that. To answer your question, don't bother going to Japan to study comp sci. Stick to the states.

>>1091542
>>1091548

Jesus fucking Christ dude will you stop shilling learning the Japanese language to holidayers and tourists visiting Japan for a couple weeks. Great, so you personally dedicated an inordinate amount of time learning Japanese and now feel that you need to justify your existence for having done something as largely unnecessary as that and feel superior to others for knowing Japanese. I see you in every god damn Japan thread. Go away. And this is coming from a Tokyo resident who speaks a fair amount of Japanese. Seriously, go away.

Fumbling through "basic Japanese"--whatever you consider that to be-- will not open any significant doors in this country for you as a tourist. Unless you consider having some Japanese person humor you by telling you exaggerated-ly and fake-ly how "jozu" your worthless "basic" Japanese is.

And there is nothing wrong with tourist spots, you fucking Realtraveler™ shithead.

I'm so triggered by you. Go soak your head.
>>
>>1091548
Fact is in this modern world, unless you plan to Live or work for the rest of your life in japan. There is 0 reason to learn japanese (aside from playing/reading japanese video games and literature)

If you plan to learn an asian language, mandarin is your best bet as everyday they are in more and more spots in our western society and i think in 10-20 years itll become a major second language
>>
>>1091674
this.
shut the fuck up , nobody cares you know japanese you faggot
>>
File: 1435098745663.jpg (185KB, 1083x720px) Image search: [Google]
1435098745663.jpg
185KB, 1083x720px
>>1091685
失-失礼
>>
>>1091687
but entirely 必要
>>
File: tumblr_nbgza5w3uZ1sqmt3ho1_1280.jpg (55KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nbgza5w3uZ1sqmt3ho1_1280.jpg
55KB, 600x800px
>>1091687
>moeposting

Not helping your case here.

>俺様は本物の旅行者だぞ
>>
Since we're already on the topic of Japanese:

How sociable are the Japanese towards bakagaijin? If I go to a pub and drink, will I have a difficult time getting talked to or talking to someone?

I've studied Japanese for two years, so talking itself isn't really a problem, I'm just curious about the human interaction aspect of it.
>>
>>1091695
I'm not the guy who posted the original comment. I know Japanese, but I've met many people who knew nothing and still had a great time. But I didn't study it just for traveling
>>1091697
Japanese talk to people who are not Japanese if that's what you're asking. If you know Japanese, even better
>>
>>1091651
I turned him down, basically saying that I wanted it to be a solo trip to experience it myself. It's also my first trip anywhere by myself and I wanna see if I can do it. I think he is just scared of doing it himself.
>>
whats the cheapest way to get from tokyo to kyoto
>>
>>1091733
walking

also, do they take your passport away in airbnb houses like they do in hotels?
>>
>>1091513
Enjoying my temporary project at the Honda facilities in Mie prefecture. Beautiful countryside, not much to do other than go for walks
>>
>>1091736
nice meme
>>
>>1091739
No really. Walking, cycling, hitchhiking are cheapest.

Spoonfeeding is for babies. Are you a baby?
>>
>>1091742
spoonfeeding? again nice meme, i dont recall asking /a/
>>
>>1091733
depends. How much time do you have? Did you hitchhike before? Do you have access to a bike and would be willing to bike the way?

Generally, it's not gonna be the train unless you take the Seishun 18. Otherwise buses or flights
>>
>>1091750
well i was thinking of leaving right after the airbnb runs out and then just finding a way to get there the same day, i have like 2 other people with me so i should have put we. Do japanese people let foreigners hitchhike? i was also thinking of using uber and just splitting the check
>>
>>1091765
uber..no I mean uber isn't really long distance afaik and even then it's like taking a taxi for a 300+km distance. Japanese people would let you hitchhike I guess, though the hitchhike culture isn't really that big. Your best bet is probably a bus (Willer bus is a company in Japan if I remember correctly) or take a budget airline flight with something like Cheap to Osaka and then just take the train to Kyoto since it's kinda close
>>
>>1091788
alright thanks anon, well the uber plan was to just get a ride to kyoto and split the bill with the other two unless they charge per person ill look into the bus however
>>
>>1091429
I really liked Hiroshima, and I sunget you go to one of Hiroshima Carps' baseball games. They have a VERY dedicated fanbase, and their own open ingen ceremonies and song. I enjoyed it, but then the baseball started and it got pretty boring. Still worth the ticket, though.
>>
>>1091478
What's your route? And how long do you think the trip is going to take?
I would like to try this sometime also. And by biking, you mean bicycle right?
>inb4 stupid question
>>
>>1091666
>In my almost one year of experience in Japan the only problems I had with stuff being stolen was in areas full of foreigners. Capsule hotels full of cheap tourists could be a problem.
>On the other hand places that Japanese considers dangerous can be safer than places people from your country considers safe and low crime.
I don't why but it's always where there are more foreigners there are more trouble. Even in it's cleanness. But I don't want to get the thread off track.
>>
I lived in japan for five months back in college, and now a decade or so later I'd like to take my gf there.

The weird thing is, all the stuff I remember doing back then was nerdy shit-

I literally have no idea where to bring her to make her enjoy herself the most. Monkey parks I guess? Beaches? A hot spring?

Any ideas?
>>
>>1091705
Kinda feel sorry for the guy. But I get it also that you want to experience the trip for yourself.
> It's also my first trip anywhere by myself and I wanna see if I can do it.
Not to bring you down or your accomplishments. But visiting a place like Japan is definitely not hard. Living might be. Yea the language can cause trouble. If you get out of Tokyo an into the countryside than you will be tested a little more.
Anyways enjoy m8.
>>
>>1091788
Would an Uber even go that far? That's like asking someone to drive you from San Francisco to Los Angeles. In Japan it's all about trains or megabuses. If you want to be super cheap you can try train hopping? You'd have to already know how stations and the platforms work to get the cheapest ticket to let you in then go to a different platform. And even harder to pull off with 3 gaijin you'll attract too much attention
>>
>>1091542
Man that guy is so cringey. Checked his website and man it looks like a website for losers who are trying to be "alpha". I don't know how people like him live like that. And no it's not about having sex. But how he thinks he's cool while doing it.
>End of blog
>>
>>1091575
Bro I know this feel. It fucking hurts me inside knowing I'am getting older and not younger. I should have done this a long time ago. I will be 35 soon. I don't much time left or any to go and enjoy Japan while young. My only advice is before you reach my age is to just GO! Get your shit together and GO! I have other shit that doesn't allow me. I might be able to visit when I'am 40-something but that's not what I want to do. I want to live and be young there.
>fuck my life
What kills me the most is when I read other peoples blogs about how they've been in Japan for a few years and enjoyed it a lot and are actually coming back home.
>>
Is it really true that the gaijins living in are all retards or assholes in Japan? I've known a lot of people who've been to Japan and they all say that they're majority retarded. One trend I've noticed is how some people who start living in Japan actually become more confident and more out going maybe even more aggressive. I believe it's because the Japanese are very timid and don't like confrontation and so the gaijin feels like he's an alpha and can do anything he wants. And we gotta be honest the Japanese people generally aren't very muscular.
>>
>>1091837
Generally, and it's true for all of Asia, the Dutch, English, Americans and Germans are idiots who pay no attention to etiquette, only speak rudimentary insert language, harass women and only hang out in expat bars and then complain about the locals.
>>
>>1091837
>Is it really true that the gaijins living in are all retards or assholes in Japan?

No. And where do you hear this from? Most foreigners living in Japan are just fine, because most people in general are just fine/not assholes.

>>1091844
This is such an obtuse, cliche view of things.
>>
>>1091848
>I've known a lot of people who've been to Japan and they all say that they're majority retarded
>Army men
>weebs
>"I'am so Japanese I've lived here for 15 years"
>fuck up bitter English teacher *But still lives in Japan
>no lifes/nobody's who had nothing going for them in their country. So they come to Japan to feel like a special snowflake
>delusional people "oh Japan is so cool"
>Japanese are so rasis. *But still doesn't want to live anywhere else
>Majority are poor. Because they can't do anything other than be an English teacher.
>People who've had zero real life experiences other than going to school. After school they go straight to being an English teacher. No wonder they complain like faggots when they have to actually work
I've known many people who've went to teach or visit and it's always the same stories. Of course you will find a few great people to hang around with. In general try to stay away from the gaijins.
>>
>>1091852
forgot to add
>Yamanote Line Halloween party.
This demonstrates clearly what gaijins do. Not all but still give a glimpse.
>"Oh I'am so tough. No Japanese wants to fight with me"
>"Oh I fucked a Japanese girl last night"
Clearly they are virgins. Because they think fucking girls is one the greatest accomplishments one can do. I get it if you're like 18-23 but after that grow the fuck up.
>"Oh I understand the Japanese people more than you because I've lived here more than you" huehue
>Ryan boudless
>all the other faggot j-vloggers. There are some good ones though.
>>
>>1091852
>>1091854

Even all this is really truly a very small sample size.
>>
>>1091855
This anywhere in the country there's 99.9-97% Native Japanese so any gaijin you see is going to stand out and skew your view of them one way or another. I saw a few gaijin in business attire, some cute idol girls in Akiba, some blonde girls walking around Asakusa in rice paddy hats and a couple gaijin kids in school uniforms. It's a range and considering the term is already so broad to literally everyone else in the world you'll find all kinds.
>>
Where can I get the most bang for my buck for 2 people eating Sushi in Tokyo about 10,000 yen a head? Thinking of an Omakase kind of thing - never been to Japan before and know nothing of the language. Willing to spend up to a maximum of 15000 a head
>>
>>1091406
I specifically came back from Japan to the US because even a mediocre Comp Sci program the US is so far ahead the rest of the world its insane.

If you wanted to do something involving robotics and hard ware that would be a different story, Japan is great at hardware, total shit at software
>>
>>1091866
Do you want it to be a 5 star kind of deal because conveyor belt sushi places are 100-500yen a plate and still delicious
>>
>>1091857
>a couple gaijin kids in school uniforms
Is this really true? I know hafus are and even gaijin kids but didn't think it was common.
>>
>>1091866
Literally grocery store sushi will be better than anything you've eaten in the US
>>
>>1091855
>>1091857
Doesn't make it wrong. Just because there aren't a lot of gaijins in Japan doesn't make it wrong. Of course you can't use this to prove that the Japanese are better than everyone else because the gaijins are always bad.
>>
>>1091825
>Any ideas?
Each neighborhood has its own personality. Go to Shibuya if you want music bars and live houses, Akihabara for nerdy shit, Taito if you want to visit temples and that kind of stuff. Tokyo Skytree is a great place, Tokyo Tower too.
You could go to Odaiba, it's an interesting place and the Daikanransha is there.
I walked all over Tokyo, I think it's the best way to enjoy the city.
>>
>>1091886
Literally, no -- and if you really believe this, it proves you're either a weeb or have shit taste (or both, LOL). There's plenty of bad sushi in Japan (especially in conbinis and Y100/plate conveyor belt places designed for family dining) and plenty of good sushi in the US, especially in NY and CA.
>>
>>1091886
>Literally grocery store sushi will be better than anything you've eaten in the US
Japan resident guy here again and I got to say that it is completely false imho. Any sushi from a pretty nice sushi restaurant in the US (even if it's more American style) will be tastier and better than Japanese super market sushi.

About all you can say about Japanese super market sushi is that it is better than American super market sushi. It's really not that great.
>>
File: Seisen-school-K-12-500x334.jpg (59KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
Seisen-school-K-12-500x334.jpg
59KB, 500x334px
>>1091880
It was only two and in different cities. The girl in Kyoto was easy to spot because she was a head taller than the rest of her class. There's also international schools in some cities so gaijin kids won't get teased relentlessly by their peers which is very very common even for hafus.
>>
>>1091826
Thanks breh. I know it isn't hard, but it would be even easier with another person. I can speak conversationally now, and by the time I go I'll be a bit better so that aspect shouldn't be bad, but I can't read for shit heh.
>>
Whats the average price range if I wanted to have a fish (not necessarily sushi, but that'd be nice too) breakfast in tsujiki?
>>
I have never been so excited for something in my entire life holy shit. I can am beyond itching to go
I will be in Tokyo from July from the 11th to the 22nd, any anons want to meet up?
>>
>>1091921
I know man, ever since I booked my flights it's honestly the most excited I've been about anything in such a long time.
>>
>>1091916
Tsukiji has a wide range of stuff but you're looking at 1000-2000 unless you try to spend a ridiculous amount of money
>>
>>1091921
>>1091926
Traveling does this. That's why it's good to travel. Gets the mood up even if you've book 9 months in advance you will be in a good mood for nine months.
>>
>>1091941
>Traveling does this
Any enjoyable activity planned for the mid-to-distant future does this
>>
Anyone have onsen experience they can share ? Also the price too.
>>
>>1091447
He's right about summer being shit though. Mostly everywhere has central AC, but unless you're visiting Japan just to stay indoors all day you're gonna be outside sweating fast.
>>
I leave for Japan in a week and a half. I've been there around 5 times before, but this will be the first time going completely alone and I don't think it'll be quite as enjoyable this time around.
>>
Anyone have any tips on hooking up with fellow tourists?
>>
>>1091886
>>1091874

I live in Europe, no offence to Americans here but my travels to the US leads me to believe our standard of food is a bit higher here...in terms of sushi though - sushi here sucks. The best sushi I have ever had is in Dubai. It doesn't need to be Sushi Saito or anything...but I am looking for one high end sushi dinner for two with a budget of about 30k yen, for the whole dining experience etc. as well. If you think it isn't worth it, where else could I get a nice meal for two for about 30,000 in Tokyo? Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated!
>>
I booked a hotel for the pool and fitness centre only to find out you need to pay for it! Is this common in Japan? I can cancel my booking for free but need to find an alternative hotel in that case
>>
>>1091991

How do you think you hook up with people at home? Jesus fuckin a
>>
>>1091921
Nice, I'm also hyped as fuck.

I'll be travelling all over Japan for almost a month in july (that's the seventh month of the year, right?), starting and ending my journey in Tokyo.

Drop me an email at [email protected] if you're interested
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
more pics, are you pumped to go yet anon?
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1092014
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1092016
Motha fuckin batman
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1092018
Damn my phone keeps auto rotating pics
>>
That Batman stuff is some autistic shit. Good that you're having fun though
>>
>>1092012
I... don't?
>>
>>1092028
WELL
THERE
YOU
GO
THEN
>>
>>1092014
>>1091983
>>
>>1092030
Shit, you got me.
>>
>>1092022
Yeah... Taking pics for my7 year old brother...autistic... Maybe someday you will do something nice for family.
>>
File: possible_routes.png (2MB, 1571x833px) Image search: [Google]
possible_routes.png
2MB, 1571x833px
>>1091820
Haven't decided where I'll start, but I've boiled it down to Kagoshima, Saga, or Oita. From there I'll do something like pic related (newer one with a Kagoshima route drawn up isn't on my phone) then head towards the main island and Tokyo.

I'll be gone for about a month, I figure that gives me plenty of time to dick around on a bike.
>>
File: 0356_98d3_960.jpg (52KB, 960x869px) Image search: [Google]
0356_98d3_960.jpg
52KB, 960x869px
How do I become a host or a submissive in S&M 'porn'?
>>
Should i go to Takayama or Hiroshima? This will be for about a week near the end of december
>>
>>1092061
they could both be done in a day. find other places to go too
>>
>>1092062
if I were to visit both, can you use the Bus pass to get form hiroshima to nagoya?
>>
>>1091980
depends, I really liked the 35C°+ and the humidity, but I heard most people don't
>>
>>1091998
>going to japan to spend a good chunk of time lifting/swimming in a hotel pool
Why
>>
>>1092020
I'm fucking hyped. Is that breakfast?
>>
File: 1409633035287.jpg (27KB, 437x471px) Image search: [Google]
1409633035287.jpg
27KB, 437x471px
What are the must see places over in Osaka?
>>
>>1092020
Turn it, save it, turn back and save again. Works for me.
>>
>>1091893
Something that me and other foreigners living in Japan noticed is that the seafood is very fresh in Japan and this affects the flavor of the sushi. Since Japanese people consumes much more seafood I think there is a faster flow of it making it reach the consumer faster than in most countries. Seafood in Japan is fresher than in Sao Paulo for example which is fresher than in Buenos Aires even if buenos Aires have a direct route to the ocean and Sao Paulo don't. So a supermarket sushi in Japan is better than a sushi we would get for the same price in our countries. Of course some opinions are biased due to wasabi. In some places sushi doesn't comes with wasabi and some people just can't stand sushi so I have seem people talking about how terrible quality sushi in Japan was because the moment they tasted wasabi that was the only thing they cared about in the whole meal.
>>
>>1092043
And are you going to bring your own bike or get one there? Do you know if you bike in those roads? I don't know how to know which place/roads you can bike in. Or how the law works.
>>
Anyone wanna hang out towards the end of the month?
>>
>>1092130

Bringing my own bike. I have a fold up bike I've been using for a year or two.
As far as the law goes with regards to bikes, stay on the left and stay the fuck off of highways. Other than that I'm not sure, I just sort of assume that it's similar to here (Canada).
>>
>>1092191
I know a few people have done it from the bottom to the top of Japan on bike. But between cities are there roads you can use? I assume between cities it's majority just connected by highway. Going to bring a tent? Having a few buddies to do this with you looks like it would be a great time.
>>
>>1092194
Yea, I'm gonna be tenting where I can.
Sure there are plenty of roads to use that aren't highways. If you need to double check it's as simple as going to Google maps and checking off the options to avoid highways and toll roads.

I was suppose to have some buddies come along with me but they backed out just recently, so it's just gonna be me.
>>
>>1092199
>I was suppose to have some buddies come along with me but they backed out just recently, so it's just gonna be me.
Damn that sucks bad. I would suggest waiting to go with a few people. It will help with everything. The trip, tent and just general help. But if you don't mind than I guess you can go ahead. They backed out of Japan or the bike trip? Totally forgot about google maps. But the foldable bicycles aren't really good for long distance cycling no?
>>
>>1092187
sure are you in Boston around 28th-30th?
>>
>>1092069
its a Yudofu set lunch thing. The key to eating amazing food in some stellar lunches on a budget is to go for lunch and not dinner, sometimes it can be %50 off.
>>
>>1092213
Sorry anon I'm gonna be in Tokyo from the 28th to the 1st.
>>
>>1092206

Since they backed out it'll just be me doing the whole thing myself, which I fine with, I get to go along at my own rate.

I did some cycling in British Colombia with my folding bike before and it was fine. You go at a decent speed and they ride comfortably, it's just nice to have the ability to pack it up for trains or while I'm in a city.
>>
>>1092016
Is everything sideways in japan? Not when I was there.
>>
How much money should I bring with me when I'm first entering the country? Was thinking around 40000YEN/3000SEK.
>>
>>1092275
I exchange it all beforehand cause I get a better rate that way, but that's just me. 40000 yen would be fine if you plan on waiting to withdraw more at an ATM or the airport when you get there. Just make sure you have enough to cover whatever you're gonna do until the next time you can withdraw cash, don't assume wherever you're going will take a card.
>>
I'm 19 and I'm headed to Tokyo for two weeks. Do you guys have recommendations for hostels and just how to meet people in general while I'm there?
>>
>>1091539
>The lot of us are Asian, are we better off?

What kind of asian
>>
>>1091600
>>1091605
>>1091616
Jesus Christ no wonder you're 30 with 70k banked you have literally 0 friends
>>
I hear it's pretty hard to bang the local girls in Tokyo any truth to this?
>>
>>1092322
And he's probably living with his parents, judging from those reactions.
>>
Is mid October/early November too cold to comfortably sleep in a tent? Wanting to walk from Osaka to Hiroshima over Shikoku
>>
>>1092325
One night stands and such playing around, while is not nonexistant, is uncommon in Japan. Most people look for relationships and they will automatically assume any foreigner in Tokyo is a tourist, so they will avoid them out of fear of being used as a one-off
>>
File: mdj010pl.jpg (32KB, 358x362px) Image search: [Google]
mdj010pl.jpg
32KB, 358x362px
Going to my girlfriends house all day with her and her mother. never been invited to a house in such a way.

What kind of gift should I bring for her mother?

Father is in the special defense force or whatever and isnt able to come home often, not that day at least. No other siblings
>>
ILL BE IN TOKYO MAY-JUNE WITH 50 BLOTTERS OF LSD (or well... 1P-LSD which its the legal variant/research chemical bought from www.chemicalstory.com/vice )

If anybody is "lonely" in town you can meet up with me and I' will give out at least 10 blotters so you dont feel depressed and lonely and L O S T I N T RA N S L A T I O N

Im going up to the suicide forest next to mount Fuji laters on my trip, plan to take there 1000ug and camp during the night while listening to a playlist I made of crying babies and creepy japanese ghost songs.

If anybody is interested in joining this experience.......... Hit me up.

I'll be tattooing in Tokyo 2 weeks before that doing a guestspot... So I'm free after 21pm if some anons want to get laid and join me on Blowjob bars while on acid too. Of course. We must finish those 50 hits.

Into film photography too, so if u are going alone hit me up

I'll come around to this thread in 3 days
>>
>>1092350
>One night stands and such playing around, while is not nonexistant, is uncommon in Japan

Lol, what. It's no less common than in other open, wealthy, democratic countries with nightlife.
>>
>>1092363
make sure to stack up on cheap Fujifilm while you're there and check out the Yodobashi in Shinjuku for their glorious film selection
>>1092325
no they're not that tight, you should get it in
>>
>>1092363
>smuggling LSD
>tattooing
Not to sound all /pol/ but
Why even come to Japan if you feel the need to bring all this degeneracy with you?
>>
>>1092367
Have you ever been to Japan?
>>
>>1092371
Just ignore him or play along, man.

Also,
>Why even come to Japan if you feel the need to bring all this degeneracy with you?

>Japan
>void of degeneracy

Tip top kek m8.
>>
>>1092373
I LIVE in Japan and I know it's a place where--in addition to having no religious or cultural tradition of codified sexual morality (like Abrahamic traditions)--it is a free, modern country with legal drinking and world famous nightlife.

Hooking up is as common in Japan as it is anywhere, man. Sheesh, how could anyone think otherwise. At least anyone who has spent any time in the country.
>>
>>1092376
Its one thing when you know someone is wrong on logical grounds, but its a different feeling entirely when you know someone is objectively and factually, entirely wrong about something.

Maybe if you spent less time being such a antagonistic, reactionary hyperbole machine on 4chan you would learn something
>>
>>1092374
Western degeneracy, then. Easily contrasted from the oriental tentacles-and-little-girls stuff.
>>
>>1092382
By all means, please educate me on why you're right and I'm wrong. I don't think I'm being antagonistic. You're the one name calling.
>>
>>1092382
You actually need to provide evidence and facts when you accuse him of being "objectively and factually wrong."

You sound like some virginal weeb for whom j girls are all chaste, blushing nadeshiko lol.

>raging clubs aren't a thing in Japan
>love hotels in nightlife districts aren't a thing in Japan
>J-Japanese girls don't hook up that much guys, I s-swear...
>>
>>1092385
>lol what
>sheesh, how could anyone think otherwise. at least anyone has spent time in the country (an implication that I have not)
The burden of opening hositlites is on you.

You claim the idea of hooking up is as common as anywhere.
Let's change "anywhere" to "any country", as that seems to be the implication.
Let's also deinfe "hook up" in one of two ways: either A. having a one-night stand (or continued "sex friend") or B. meeting someone who eventually becomes a bf/gf.

From this, I challenge you to to compare the sex rates in Japan versus other countries, as well as dating stats compared with other countries.

If you would like to go beyond that, research reasons why Japanese people go to clubs.
>>
File: jb.jpg (58KB, 720x858px) Image search: [Google]
jb.jpg
58KB, 720x858px
>>1092387
Oh yeah you're right. I'm just full of it and despite the fact he disputed my claim without any evidence, somehow the burden of proof falls on me.

You're also right about the fact that I am some pathetic virgin weeb unable to get women. This picture of me and a japanse girl who I claim to be my girlfriend is fake.

And right, love hotels exist merely for people who meet at clubs to fuck and be done with. Has nothing to do with the fact that many young people still live with their families and need a place to do their business when either's house is impossible. Nor is it intended for people to use with regard to the thriving sex industry.
>>
>>1092387
This, what the fuck is wrong with people? People watch some shit anime and think Japan is humble pure. I wouldn't have a kid if Japan was like that. Also side note kids, don't have a kid in you early twenties you have more life to live.
>>
>>1092393
On the contrary, I think Japan is extremely fucked up and I have quite a negative perception of the country in many aspects.

Just the idea that "hook-ups" and clubbing in Japan is quite different from the western world. East Asia in general but especially Japan.

Also read the post above yours
>>
I wish I could downboat this shitty tangent.
>>
I'm going to Japan for two months. What's the best option to get 3G internet for my phone (or renting another one, I don't care if it's cheaper)? Even 1gb is enough just for google-ing, wikitravel and not much more.
>>
Is it a bad idea to go in June? Does it really rain that much? I don't mind if it rains in the morning and clears up later, or vice versa I guess, but I don't want to particularly go when it's raining the majority of the day and for 20/30 of the days.
>>
Can you all shut the fuck up and talk about travel?
>>
File: image.jpg (63KB, 478x320px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63KB, 478x320px
>>1090746
Thank you! Nikko really is pretty cool, it is strange that I have never heard about it before. I think I will go to Tashirojima too since it is close to Sendai and I always have been curious about it both for the cat filled island part and the dying village part. Anyone here know anything about the "budget inns" listed on Google maps?

I also wanted to visit the fox village in Zao too but it seems too far away with no bus to get there and having to go uphill only makes it worse. I will try to get in the smaller fox farm in Hokkaido if my tickets last long enough to get there.
>>
>>1092404
How about this one? https://t.iijmio.jp/en/
>>
>>1092454
>have fun shitposting in the thread pretending to be an expert on japan
the irony
>>
>>1091831
well i used the app and it gave me the rate of about 12k, i mentioned it mostly because of this and was wondering if anyone has tried it
>>
>>1092454
Hey dude, I haven't posted anything at or about you since >>1091621. Your reactions were funny at first but now I'm starting to feel sorry for you.

If you want to come to Japan and keep your sanity (to the extent that you have it), you're going to have to learn to be a bit more patient with people who you feel have slighted you and be able to assume good faith on the part of others - you'll rely on these things heavily to bridge the gap left by your lack of Japanese. If you don't, and you end up in Japan, you might end up the sort of bitter, jaded gaijin you can see poisoning the comments section of countless Japan Times articles. If standard 4chan banter sets you off, you will inevitably have interactions in Japan that will frustrate you - especially if you don't know the language.
>>
File: ........jpg (42KB, 252x415px) Image search: [Google]
........jpg
42KB, 252x415px
>>1092363
>>
File: warning-medium.png (5KB, 306x271px) Image search: [Google]
warning-medium.png
5KB, 306x271px
Opinion on Japan? In Tokyo are there “parts to avoid” like here in the US? How hard of a time would someone who only speaks English have? What things are there for burgerclap tourists to do? How bad has Fukushima screwed up parts of Tokyo?

Secondary reason I’m posting:
Anyone speak and read Japanese very well who is willing to spend a little time helping a grateful Anon? I need someone to skim a few Japanese articles and YouTube videos online about a very successful Japanese trader and tell me how his strategy and methods work. I’ve spent weeks trying to learn as much as I can but there is very little written about him in English (with me being a burgerclap and all). Online Japanese-to-English translation isn’t very accurate or coherent. I don’t have any money for a real translator. Write to [email protected] and I'll send back the links (or I can post them, but I don't want to derail the thread). You don't have to review them all, just as many as you're willing to.
>>
>>1092481
thank you.

now lets stop shitting up the thread.
>>
>>1092519
japan is safe. there is no equivalent to like, detroit, harlem... nothing like that in japan.
just don't fuck with no yakuzas in kabukicho
>>
>>1092519
>In Tokyo are there “parts to avoid” like here in the US?
Aside from "stepping on a Yakuza member" I still haven't found any place I consider dangerous. But I came from a more dangerous country and I know about statistics instead of basing my opinions just in hearsay. Unless you try really hard to get fucked up.

>How hard of a time would someone who only speaks English have?
Not much I think. Try to learn some basic stuff like excuse-me, sorry, how much is this, this and that as it helps a lot. Many restaurants have english menu and stores usually have someone who can understand English. Some are fluent but usually it is pretty limited.

>How bad has Fukushima screwed up parts of Tokyo?
What? I would say nothing at all. Unless you are talking about the earthquake/tsunami and for those I also haven't seen any sign that something bad happened there.
>>
>>1092522
Also yakuzas won't fuck with you for no reason. I have frequented an onsen where they are a common sight (probably because they aren't allowed in the others) and they don't seems to even look at the other people just staying talking and drinking among them. I have seen fathers with their kids playing in one side of the bath while at the same time there were some yakuza drinking on the other side.
>>
goin to spend 2 week in japan this summer, dunno where yet, where should i sleep ?
>>
Dude, just post your reasons for thinking that hooking up is not big in Japan. The other guy at least posted at least some reasons to support his claim that it is. (No codified sexual morality, it's a free country, nightlife is big, etc.) Just give us some reasons why you think it's not big. I'm actually genuinely curious to hear what you have to say about it.

Also, no one cares about your stupid purikura pic with your gf you autist. He said you SOUND like a virginal weeb. He didn't actually say you are.
>>
>>1092522
>Harlem

Lol you're putting Harlem in the same sentence as Detroit? Harlem isn't that bad man. NYC as a whole is remarkably safe for the fact that it's in America and not only that is America's largest city.
>>
>>1092560
But dindus live there. They kill whitey every chance they get!
>>
>>1092519
Been here ten years never felt unsafe. That doesn't mean you don't see some unsavory characters from time to time, but you really wouldn't be running into them as a tourist anyway.
>>
File: 1457999901070.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1457999901070.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
I want to live in the rural side of Japan how go about doing this?
I'm 18. Thinking of saving some money and visiting Japan for 2 weeks. How long will that take and how much money do I need? I like living simple and probably won't spend much time in cities.
>>
>>1092590
>I want to live in the rural side of Japan how go about doing this?
Marry a rural Japanese chick. You could buy a house out there for very cheap but you'd still have visa problems if you did.
>>
>>1092591
>marrying for the sake of living in Japan
I want to live there on my own terms and marry if it happens naturally.
Any other way?
>>
>>1092596
Go to school there or find a place to work that's willing to sponsor your visa, otherwise you're limited to 90 days at a time as a tourist. Japan is not an easy country to attain permanent residency or citizenship in.
>>
>>1092363
You sound like my kind of people. I think you would like the locals in kawaguchiko. They throw late night forest raves at the foot of the mountain.
>>
>>1091886

7-11 in Japan has pretty okay lunch boxes.
>>
File: JapaneseSquatToilet.jpg (10KB, 215x335px) Image search: [Google]
JapaneseSquatToilet.jpg
10KB, 215x335px
Learn how to use these public toilets.

a) How to squat; which direction.
b) Bring your own paper, dude.
c) How to dispose of your 'used' paper.
d) Wash your hands with your own soap.

Banzai!
>>
>>1092619
I always wondered what would happen if you tried using one of these when you had really bad diarrhea.
>>
KILL WHITEY!!
>>
>>1092639
Nothing unfortunate if you aim your ass properly.
>>
>>1092639
There is a not insignificant amount of scat AV that answers that question pretty well.
>>
File: image.jpg (255KB, 800x868px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
255KB, 800x868px
When booking the airasia flight back from Tokyo to Bangkok on 23/5 the price suddenly jumped after 10 minutes by 50$ to about 280$ with baggage (I used skyscanner).
Any chance the price will go down? That's more than two months from now:(
>>
>>1092672
Low-cost airlines bump up fares on flights for a while after queries and uncompleted orders. Give it a couple of days to settle.
>>
How do you catch a cicada? There were lots of them in Italy too, but I ever only managed to collect their shells. Do I have to climb up a tree or something? Do they live in the branches?
>>
Can someone give me the /trv/ approved things to do in Japan?
>>
File: watersport deer.jpg (314KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
watersport deer.jpg
314KB, 960x1280px
>>1092619
Except for the literal hole in the ground with no flushing or toilet paper (although the deer may have been glad to help you there) on Mt. Misen, Miyajima, most public toilets I saw and used offered western type stalls, often with washlets and sometimes even heated seats as well.
>>
>>1092713
Internationally famous tourist spots have all completely transitioned to western toilets. Most places in Tokyo that have atleast been renovated or built in the past 15 years have a mixture of both or only western toilets. Once you get outside of tourist spots and especially outside of Tokyo they become pretty much the default toilet for any place built 20 or more years ago. Pretty sure most Japanese people don't mind them, although they love the washlets. which is why they are slow to replace them outside of tourist areas
>>
>>1092710
1) Take a never-ending trip to Aokigahara
>>
>>1092723
>Internationally famous tourist spots have all completely transitioned to western toilets
For a second I didn't realise you were talking about actual toilets
>>
Tips for not getting ripped off while in Tokyo, just went full bakagaijin and paid around $1000 for a dick tug
>>
>>1092742
Geez and I felt bad about paying 150$ for one
They baited me because I had been drinking heavily and trying to wander my way back to my apartment, and then some lady comes up and starts talking to me about a massage, when I asked how much it cost she said free, so I followed her and when they get my pants off they start saying I need to pay 30,000 yen
Too drunk to refuse but at least I got the price down.

Pretty much just decline "free" shit, and don't get so drunk that you can't refuse an offer like this. Another option is only carrying a low amount of money with you and no ATM card, because they will even try to get you to an ATM to make a withdraw.
>>
>>1092672
use incognito mode on chrome. it will bring the price down
>>
did domestic flight prices just go down recently?

i was planning on riding shinkansen from west japan to tokyo, then tokyo to hokkaido, but then checked flights and they were way cheaper. saves time too. feels good man
>>
>>1091825
Shibuya is neat. Shinjuku has a really unique nightlife with Golden Gai. Honestly, just walking around the prefectures in Tokyo took up most of my time. Very fun
>>
In Japan for a month
Is it worth a day trip to Chiba city?
>>
>>1092795
Hell year dude! I had a blast there.
>>
>>1092829
What did you do senpai? Any recommendations?
>>
I'll be staying in Japan for 6 months later this year. Would I have any problems taking my own phone (planning to get a Samsung Galaxy S7 soon) and using a sim or something, or would things be easier if I just bought a Japanese phone? I don't know much about this kind of thing, so any answers are appreciated.
>>
>>1092795
no
>>
File: 8283192932_dcee2b3900.jpg (117KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
8283192932_dcee2b3900.jpg
117KB, 500x282px
Hey guys, haven't seen a lot of chat about night life in Tokyo.

Any bar recommendations? Are clubs worth it? Should I just walk around Golden Gai?

I like beer and rock music. First trip.
>>
>>1092910
When are you going anon?
>>
>>1092912
Late May.
>>
>>1092912
>>1092915
Also budget is around $300 a day (after accommodation), if that matters.
>>
>>1092750
Thanks for the advice anon.
I also got one the day before and it was a much higher quality massage and I had a much prettier girl, which I paid around $200 for. When comparing the experiences; the one I paid more for was a complete and utter scam. I had never felt so taken advantage of in my life, and I felt it was so hard to back out off as everyone spoke little English. I kept confirming the prices but it seemed useless trying to bargain. Was also completely sober for both experiences.

My 2 yen is to just flat out refuse anything that anyone tries to offer you at night. On my way back to my hotel, I had 3 people try to get me to go to their services. Those people are waiting out there and looking for naive foreigners to rip off, you pay a small entrance fee then get hit with all these high bills. If you look for one on your own, you shouldn't have many problems but tourists beware
>>
>>1092910
>I like beer and rock music. First trip.

Yeah Golden Gai and also check out Shimokitazawa
>>
Has anyone here tried one of those hostel "internships"?
I saw one where you do some chores from 11AM to 2PM (fixed), 5 days/week, and earn yourself the stay, but I'm wondering if this kind of agenda would fuck up my travel experience.
>>
>>1092960
Sounds interesting, have any links or anything?
>>
>>1092960
I stayed at a place in Shikoku where there was a girl doing that. I think she had a better time than I did.

The work might be more of an imposition in the big cities though.
>>
What's the most remote part of the country? I don't care about weather, I just want to build a little hut there and live for a while
>>
Anyone have recommendations on restaurants with vegetarian options or Japanese dishes for vegetarians?

One of my friends is joining my trip at the last minute and the only thing I remember that was vegetarian friendly when I went last year was Taco Bell in Shibuya.
>>
>>1092964
khaosan-tokyo.com/en/recruitment/intern/
>>
>>1092979
The mountains of south-eastern Shikoku. Or if you regard the sea as isolating, one of the many uninhabited islands.
>>
>>1092992
I'm used to "extreme" (-15C) cold so mountains would do best, plus I have more experience with them
Thanks lad
>>
should i learn japanese if i intend to go as a tourist?
>>
>>1093045
If you have an interest in it, sure. It is nice to be able to communicate basic things. You can have a great time without knowing anything though.
>>
>>1093086
0/10

wait actually -50/10

be more subtle next time
>>
>>1093086
>did something go wrong in you life that made you sympathetic to the sick nation famous for mutilating and raping children and toddlers for sport in WWII?
Obviously so. Are you stupid or something?
>>
File: 45654.jpg (66KB, 613x677px) Image search: [Google]
45654.jpg
66KB, 613x677px
>>1093086
>>
>>1093089
I live in Germany so no :^)
>>
>>1093086
No one cares.
>>
>>1093045
I just came back from a week long trip to Japan not knowing any Japanese. Just really basic stuff like arigato and sumimasen. I got by just fine. A lot of signs and restaurant menus were in English in addition to Japanese and a surprising amount of people spoke or understood at least some English. That said, I could detect really really subtle contempt by some cashiers or people I dealt with, but it could've just been my imagination. It felt weird being a foreigner for the first time in my life.
>>
>>1092981
A Tokyo tourist book I bought has three recommendations:
Mominoki House
Nagi Shokudo
Eat More Greens
>>
>>1093104
Go shitpost /b/ or /int/. Stop shitting up the small boards, they're nice.
>>
what are the best clubs in roppongi these days? or tokyo in general
>>
>>1093119
just stop replying, he'll get bored soon
>>
>>1093123
This is some of the weakest bait I've seen in a long time.

But anyway, let me know where you see people here idolizing the Japanese. For all that I can tell people are just talking about traveling to Japan and perhaps talking to locals.
>>
File: 1428764868332.gif (3MB, 300x236px) Image search: [Google]
1428764868332.gif
3MB, 300x236px
>>1093130
You know it's bait and yet you keep replying. Stahp it. All he wants are (You)'s. Just stop replying ya goofus.
>>
>>1093132
This is my first time replying to that guy, but yes, you've got a point there.
>>
How's the nightlife in Tokyo compared to Seoul? Trying to convince my friends to stay a few more days in Tokyo instead of Seoul, since we're going to both cities.
>>
Hey i'm planning a trip to Japan in September from the 11th - 27. I will be going with 5 other people. Do you have any tips, tricks or recommendations for places to visit? I've been looking through the last 2 threads and note the points about always bringing cash, ensuring my laptop has an ethernet connection and a bit about the rail pass but i'm want to ensure we cover all of our bases.
>>
>>1093161
Depends on you. But I gotta say Seoul has great nightlife. They party till 11am. It's more wild and free I feel. But Tokyo has it's own charms.
>>
File: 20150306_143125.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20150306_143125.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>1093162
>always bringing cash
I always hear the opposite, it's all about the ATM
>ethernet cord
I made sure my laptop had one, it's completely unnecessary

Interests and budget would be helpful
>>
How do I get raped by cute girls in tokyo?
>>
>>1093189
I can dress up as one if you want
>>
>>1093189
Get really drunk, wander around Roppongi late at night, and soon enough you'll get dragged into some massage parlor by a cute girl, raped by her, and find that all your cash has magically disappeared from your wallet.
>>
Im heading to Tokyo this weekend, and I'd like to get a pre-paid SIM card for my iPhone 6S. I did some googling and it seems like a pretty complicated process. I'll be flying into Haneda, so I won't be able to use the convenient SIM card vending machine they set up in Narita. I think I may just buy a rental card and have it shipped to my hotel. I'd like to know how others fared with getting a SIM card in Japan. I only need data for maps and train schedule access.
>>
File: Climbing_on_Mt._Fuji.jpg (5MB, 4572x3053px) Image search: [Google]
Climbing_on_Mt._Fuji.jpg
5MB, 4572x3053px
How impossible is climbing Mt. Fuji for a fat unathletic slob?
>>
>>1093223
What carrier do you have? I have T-mobile (USA) and was surprised to find my plan included unlimited data and texts in Japan.
>>
>>1093187
Mixed group, mostly a bunch of anime watching nerds. Budget is about 1500 for the flight and 4000 for the trip. We were looking to hit up Akihabara and visit some other cities, hence we were looking into getting a rail pass. Also we were interested in attending this: https://ultrajapan.com/
If only for one day.
>>
>>1093223
If money isn't. Voncern but convenience is get at airport. If price is a concern go to the first large electronic store you see I. Tokyo, they will have English speaking staff anyway. mail order works too whatever
>>
>>1093225
It's tough, you are doing a stair master for hours and if in he dark it dramatically increases your chances of pulling a muscle or twisting an ankle. Seriously get some exercise in before you go not to look a Greek god, but so that you walk a few hours without an extended break.
>>
>>1092979
Technically Hokkaido is the most sparsely populated. However there are plenty out Of the way places in tohoku, Kii peninsula and Sea of Japan side
>>
I'm going to Japan in may, what
>>
File: 1446949529819.gif (743KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1446949529819.gif
743KB, 500x281px
Is there a good resource for finding information on teaching in Japan? I am a college student looking to take a gap year and teach there. I do not speak Japanese. Is this a real possibility for me?
>>
>>1091429
As always, Shikoku is skipped. Sigh.
>>
>>1093279
It's pretty easy to do. You could apply online and just hope you get sent somewhere interesting (95% end up in the countryside without anything to do) or you could make your way to Tokyo or Osaka or where ever you want to live and work and interview with ALT companies in person. You're much, much, much more likely to get placed in the city you want if you interview there rather than just hoping it works out from abroad. Make sure you have at least two suits, black is best.
>>
>>1093225
It's gonna be tough, man. I was pretty athletic when I did it, on the weekends I would go running in the mountains and stuff, but climbing Mt. Fuji absolutely destroyed me. Although, I climbed it from the very bottom, the traditional way, instead of the way you're supposed to do it, from halfway up the mountain, because I thought it would be cooler going the old way.
>>
>>1093279

Go ahead and check out the ESL thread. It is very possible.
>>1080192
>>
>>1093280
I did consider going down there, but I was told that there's nothing worth my time.

Anything interesting there I should know of?
>>
>>1093241
Do the Ghibli Museum in Mitaka, Tokyo. Seriously. It's fucking great. There are 12 short Ghibli films playing in the museum and ONLY the museum. You cannot see these Ghibli films anywhere else and they rotate each month and are usually appropriate for the month, if you go in summer, you're likely to see a film set in summer or about summer. Even if you're not that into Ghibli movies, it's such a fantastically realized museum and definitely worth half a day's visit.

http://www.ghibli-museum.jp/en/
>>
>>1093287
Lots. The whole island is mysterious and spiritual. I was a henro pilgrim in Shikoku for a summer, so I saw what seems like every inch of the island.

You've got the Iya Valley, also known as the "Tibet of Japan". It's got crazy dramatic mountains and these awesome vine bridges built by retreating Heike army. They're re-strung every few years so they're perfectly safe to walk on. http://wikitravel.org/en/Iya_Valley

You've got Matsuyama with the Dogo Onsen, the oldest onsen in Japan and the inspiration for the onsen in Spirited Away. It's like $5 and you get access to the baths and the upper floors where you eat snacks and drink tea. Out of everywhere I went in Japan, this is the place that made me feel like I had gone back in time 500 years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C5%8Dgo_Onsen

Matsuyama also has an awesome castle that sits on a mountain in the center of the city. It's really unique.

Tosa (Kochi) is interesting and has some cool temples. It's traditionally known as "devil's land" because it's sparsely populated, hot, and the mountains feed directly into the beaches so the terrain is hard to walk. Today, though, it's like a Japanese San Diego. There are a few towns with active surfing communities and the laid back lifestyle is king. Surf in the morning, soak in the cliff-side onsen in the afternoon.

It's hard to explain Shikoku because it's really about a feeling you get from the place. It's weird. It feels old like nowhere I've ever been and it feels alive like nowhere I've ever been. Like even the mountains are alive. I kind of understand how ancient animist religions started after spending time there.
>>
>>1091476

pls respond
>>
>>1091476
Yeah
>>
>>1091476
>>1093296
There was a television documentary I saw a few years ago called Japanland. It was very low key and mellow and focused a lot on the countryside and spirituality. Pretty comfy. It was only a few episodes.
>>
>>1093289
Duly noted, will add to the Itinerary
>>
>>1093289
>http://www.ghibli-museum.jp/en/

I was looking at ordering the tickets, but it seems like they're completely sold out until July.
>>
>>1093280
>Sigh
It's a good thing Shikoku remains unmolested by pleb tourists though.
>>
File: JAPAN.jpg (85KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
JAPAN.jpg
85KB, 750x600px
>>1093332
>[Notice] Extended Museum Closure from Monday, May 9 through Friday, July 15, 2016.

Fuck. I was looking forward to visit this on my trip in June.
>>
>>1093348

Yeah, that anon finally convinced me to go and now it's sold out.

Wasn't meant to be I guess
>>
Anyone ever tried doing enjo kosai before? I'd like to find a girl for that.
>>
>>1093295
Strongly considering a trip to Kyuushuu now, thanks.
>>
Looking to spend a week in Japan while im in asia during May/June what would you reccomend i do in that week?
>>
>>1093464
Anon was talking about Shikoku. Did you mean to say
>considering a trip to Kyuushuu
?
>>
Anyone else in Tokyo at the moment. I am having huge trouble getting a cheap place to stay especially from saturday to sunday. This weekend and next one as well.

Where do you guys stay? Tried airbnb, but this shit is just too unreliable for me. Found a place, have to wait for a reply, then i get told its available, just to get declined when i book.
>>
>>1093471
On Friday I'm going on holiday from my holiday until the tourists fuck off and prices settle. Hopefully the weather in Australia will be pleasant.
>>
>>1093473

Its only from saturday to sunday though. What kind of places did you stay in?
>>
>>1093475
Whatever I could find on AirBnB.

I've been here since October, I have a bunch of crap to offload and other things to do, and flights are cheap because people are coming, not going.
>>
In Japan no need for a proxy.
>>
>>1093481
I just had to book together 4 day stints for the next 2 weeks. Prices vary, those damn cherry trees.
>>
File: IMG_3599.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3599.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>1092440
Update. Went to Tashirojima today. Going to Akita tomorrow and them to Aomori in the end of the day where I will sleep. Them I will go to Sapporo where I will sleep at the end of the day. Any recommendations of places to stop on the way to Sapporo? Remember that I'm using the seishun 18.
>>
File: ss (2016-03-14 at 12.48.30).jpg (136KB, 725x735px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-03-14 at 12.48.30).jpg
136KB, 725x735px
>>1091508
>hair on the tuna
>dunking the rice in soy
>>
>>1093470
I was under the impression that Shikoku was a part of Kyuushuu. Found out once I actually looked it up.

Though if we're already on the topic, is there anything worth doing in Kyuushuu? Might aswell go there if I'm already around Hiroshima and Shikoku.
>>
>>1093540
yes plenty, Nagasaki, Fukuoka, Mt. Aso, Kagoshima

Skip beppu though
>>
>>1093542
Gotcha.

It feels like a month is a long time, but at the same time I feel like it won't be enough to do all the things I want to do.
>>
File: DSC00220.jpg (2MB, 3240x2025px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00220.jpg
2MB, 3240x2025px
Hey /trv/, I've been away for a while (not that anyone would've known) but I thought I'd drop in for a while and answer questions, to give something back in return for all the help I got from these threads.

What I've done:
>6 weeks of backpacking, seeing as much as possible of the countryside and staying away from everything tourist
>know basic japanese and have japanese cousins
>hiked around, stayed at guest houses everywhere between tokyo, toyama, hiroshima and shikoku

It's not much but feel free to ask anything. I'll dump some images in the meantime
>>
Where get a cheap head shave in Tokyo?

On a side note, you ever had any experience with Yakuza members?
>>
>>1093557
What are some places you'd add to this map?

>>1091429

Also, how was meeting/hooking up with Japanese people?
Not hooking up as in fucking them, just getting to know people and talking to them and that kind of stuff.
>>
File: DSC00103.jpg (5MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00103.jpg
5MB, 5472x3648px
>>
File: DSC00153.jpg (7MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00153.jpg
7MB, 5472x3648px
>>
File: DSC00214.jpg (7MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00214.jpg
7MB, 5472x3648px
>>
File: DSC00258.jpg (6MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00258.jpg
6MB, 5472x3648px
>>
File: DSC01698.jpg (5MB, 5472x3078px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01698.jpg
5MB, 5472x3078px
>>1093559
>map
Not much really, I myself stayed in toyama for a few days and loved it, but that's because my uncles wife's parents live there (the japanese connection). I'd personally love to take a few days exploring the Noto peninsula but that'll have to be by bike or car. (http://www.freewheeling.ca/adventures/JapanNotoPeninsulaBike.html)

I spent a lot of time in the "alps" and loved it. There are a lot of simple but long treks that are great if you have a tent, and I also strongly recommend what I did (which seems to be fairly uncommon because everyone sounded surprised when I told them): I took the bus from Matsumoto up to mount Norikura, climbed it and spent three-four hours in the area, and ten took the last bus down on the other side of the mountain ridge to Takayama. It's a neat way to get between these two famous cities that also includes a nice hike to 3024m height, pic related. (even though the actual climb is only about 300m, unfortunately).
>>
>>1093564
God I'm so excited for okonomiyaki.
>>
File: DSC01845.jpg (6MB, 4393x3022px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01845.jpg
6MB, 4393x3022px
>>1093566
>>1093559

>map cont.
If you like shrines, and is fairly interested in traditional buildings etc I'd also recommend a nights stay in Ise, which is kind of like the heart of the Shinto religion. There'l be a lot of Japanese tourists but not as many foreigners. There's also a nicely preserved old town connected to the actual island which is really just filled with tempels.

>>1093295
This guy beat me to the last point. Go. to. shikoku.

I spent only a week there but loved it. "pure" countryside as in people sometimes come out of their houses when I walked by, worried that I might be lost..

I mainly agree with the above guy, iya valley is cool (the whole center of the island really, check out momonga guest house for rafting and shit). Matsuyama castle is also very nice, pic related, and dogo onsens is cool but I didn't think much of it honestly. I really appreciate old things and buildings with history but the low-budget experience was just a bit underwhelming. It's probably much more worth it if you put in some extra money for the "better" bath.

Next few pics are from shikoku
>>
File: DSC02376.jpg (4MB, 5193x3246px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02376.jpg
4MB, 5193x3246px
>>
>>1093566
>>1093569
Thanks, definitely going to Shikoku.

Nice pictures, I'm already looking forward to taking some myself once I'm there.
>>
File: DSC02394.jpg (6MB, 5472x3079px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02394.jpg
6MB, 5472x3079px
>>
File: DSC02433.jpg (7MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02433.jpg
7MB, 5472x3648px
>>
File: DSC02481.jpg (7MB, 5472x3127px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02481.jpg
7MB, 5472x3127px
>>1093559
>meeting japanese people
Almost forgot!

Ok, so being able to converse in japanese goes a loooong way. Not in that you won't be able to talk to people and have fun, but they loosen up in a different way when you can, albeit poorly, converse in japanese. WIth that said, study a bit, but if you don't want to really invest a lot of time then don't do it, you'll be fine with the simple "...wa dochira desuka", sumimasen, doumo, etc. It's better to learn these words properly than to get half way to nothing. Because it's really a shitty language haha.

Second, stay at guest houses. They are amazing and people who stay there are usually willing and prepared to converse and get to know new people. Though once again, if you don't just want the "age/job/country"-conversation then you'll need japanese speaking skills with 60% of the people you meet.

Being blonde helps a bit, you will be slightly more attractive than you might be at home, but as usual, everyone is different, have different tastes, etc.. I had a few girls who were perhaps "interested" but nothing more, and a downside of meeting japanese people at guest houses is that they're always on a tight schedule so you never get a chance to get to know them better.
>>
File: DSC02514.jpg (3MB, 4852x3235px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02514.jpg
3MB, 4852x3235px
>>1093559
>>1093574
When it comes to meeting people at bars/clubs I can't help you. I didn't go out much in Japan, firstly because I only spent one week in Tokyo and a few days in kyoto so I rarely even had anywhere to go. Secondly because I'm not that kind of person, I like partying and dancing and being a student here in sweden means it's practically a part-time job to go clubbing but I wouldn't do it by myself, I wasn't that "desperate" to get laid. And I also doubt I'd had much of a chance as a black haired, bearded, half-portugese hah.

But talk to people, ask them for directions during daytime in Tokyou and other cities (but don't ask people in suits/salaryman attire), I often had lunch with strangers because they felt like coming with me on whatever I was doing. Of course once again the japanese helped, but a lot of them still only spoke english with me, taking the opportunity to practice.

They're an extremely welcoming and caring people. I've had breakfast with a hotel owners family with children climbing all over me, gotten dinner by an old man because he thought I looked "too thin" while hiking in shikoku, gotten driven around 2 am by a poor single father who had work in the morning because I missed a train and he felt sorry for me, etc..

So talk to them, most will immiedately drop their "shy" persona and start talking and asking.
>>
>>1092244
>pack it up for trains
Yea, I'am sure that will help in Japan.
>>
>>1093571
do it!

I managed to export my google maps saved places so you (and everyone else) can check out my trip here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z48ziSWA6C0A.kJSaSHVMXkWQ&usp=sharing

I mainly marked the guest houses I stayed at so it might be of some help in that regard as well.
>>
File: DSC00110.jpg (974KB, 2160x1440px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00110.jpg
974KB, 2160x1440px
finally managed to get the rest of my pictures below 8 MB, commencing dump..
>>
File: DSC00151.jpg (651KB, 960x1440px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00151.jpg
651KB, 960x1440px
>>
File: DSC00174.jpg (8MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00174.jpg
8MB, 5472x3648px
>>
File: DSC00207.jpg (1004KB, 3240x1823px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00207.jpg
1004KB, 3240x1823px
shameless plug for my flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/chokladio
>>
File: DSC00259.jpg (1MB, 3240x1823px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00259.jpg
1MB, 3240x1823px
>>
File: DSC00264.jpg (7MB, 5439x3626px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00264.jpg
7MB, 5439x3626px
>>
File: DSC00364.jpg (1MB, 2160x1440px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00364.jpg
1MB, 2160x1440px
>>
File: DSC00438.jpg (8MB, 5151x3434px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00438.jpg
8MB, 5151x3434px
>>
File: DSC00467.jpg (1MB, 2160x1440px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00467.jpg
1MB, 2160x1440px
>>
File: DSC00520.jpg (1MB, 2560x1436px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00520.jpg
1MB, 2560x1436px
>>
I'm gonna be in tokyo for a week going to different districts and stuff like that (think shibuya/shinjuku/yurakucho/tokyo soramichi etc). Would it be more efficient to sleep in and stay up late to see more stuff or to go to bed early and get up early?

Also is there a place to find the kanji for all the train stations? Or are they in romaji? I know hiragana/katakana but no kanji, so I'd want to have the station names on a list in kanji if needed.

>>1093590
>>1093589
These are awesome brah. So hyped to go.
>>
File: DSC00666.jpg (5MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00666.jpg
5MB, 5472x3648px
>>
File: DSC00735.jpg (4MB, 3648x4864px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00735.jpg
4MB, 3648x4864px
>>
File: DSC00804.jpg (6MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00804.jpg
6MB, 5472x3648px
>>1093599
don't worry about the kanji, every station sign in japan is in romaji, even out in the hicks.

otherwise, just google
http://i.imgur.com/y0td5GO.jpg
>>
>>1093574
>>1093577
>>1093582
Thanks a lot for the map, I haven't decided where to stay in the places I'll visit (except for tokyo where I found a youth hostel twenty minutes from Akihabara), so that'll come in handy.

I've been learning Japanese for the past two and a half years, so speaking shouldn't be a problem, I was mainly worried about how "open" people are to engaging in a conversation with some gaijin stranger.

>They're an extremely welcoming and caring people. I've had breakfast with a hotel owners family with children climbing all over me, gotten dinner by an old man because he thought I looked "too thin" while hiking in shikoku, gotten driven around 2 am by a poor single father who had work in the morning because I missed a train and he felt sorry for me, etc
Thanks, now I'm looking forward even more.
>>
File: DSC00819.jpg (7MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00819.jpg
7MB, 5472x3648px
>>
File: DSC00911.jpg (2MB, 2160x1440px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00911.jpg
2MB, 2160x1440px
>>1093609
>two and a half years
oooh then you'll do great. I only had two semesters of a 50% speed distance course and still got by fairly well.

and yes, people are very open, or, at least the ones who stay at guest houses.

Also, if you're going during down season (juny-july, for example) you can usually decide on tomorrows living the day before, that's how I got by, only having to change my plans once or twice due to them being fully booked. But during high season the GH's are really popular and the more famous ones are booked for weeks in advance, just so you know.

They also seem to have sort of a internal community, so at each GH you'll usually find brochures for twenty other ones. I just picked them up at every place, took one that was fairly close and said "hey I'm coming tomorrow do you have a room?". It was a very comfortable way of traveling, though only possible due to me being there during rainy season, I realized afterwards.
>>
File: DSC00928.jpg (5MB, 3563x4737px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00928.jpg
5MB, 3563x4737px
>>
File: DSC00955.jpg (6MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00955.jpg
6MB, 5472x3648px
>>
>>1093616
Cheers, I'll be going in July and I was indeed hoping to be as flexible as possible with the JR rail pass and just booking a day in advance or so. So that's welcome news.

How rainy is the rainy season? What kind of clothing do you recommend?
>>
File: DSC00981.jpg (6MB, 4124x2320px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00981.jpg
6MB, 4124x2320px
>>
File: DSC01062.jpg (4MB, 3479x5218px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01062.jpg
4MB, 3479x5218px
>>
File: DSC01113.jpg (5MB, 4950x2786px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01113.jpg
5MB, 4950x2786px
>>1093623
honestly it should hardly be called the "rainy" season but rather the "cloudy" season.

It rains, sure, but not as much as you'd might expect, rarely for more than an hour (unless you have a typhoon passing through, and you will, especially if you stay in shikoku so keep an eye out on the weather report and ask people).

With that said, when it actually does rain it pours moonsoon-like for 5, 15, 30 minutes, and then stops.

Now I don't know if was just ridiculously lucky but I only got "properly" rained on once during my six weeks. So yeah, those are my two cents. Bring a light-weight rain poncho for when it actually pours, but 90% of the time you'll be able to find cover or see it coming for some time and, well, find cover.

Regarding clothing: I brought a t-shirt, two sturdy "hiking" shirts, a pair of shorts, a fairly thin sweater, jeans, and a pair of "long underwear pants"? (it really bothers me that you don't have a separate word for it in english). -> http://www.stadium.se/klader/understall/222900101/helly-hansen.m-warm-pant.black

The long underwear pants was just a stroke of luck, they'd got hidden away in my backpack but they really helped out and were a perfect combination with the shorts while climbing mountains. The jeans saw some use as well since it sometimes got quite chilly (relatively speaking) but i practically lived in my shorts during the trip.
>>
File: DSC01131.jpg (4MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01131.jpg
4MB, 5472x3648px
>>1093623
>>1093630
I'm trying to remember wether I brought my wind/rain jacket as well but honestly I think I left it behind.. If I did bring it I never used it.

Since you're going in July you might even want to skip the jeans, because it'll be hot for most of the time you're there. And you'll especially get to experience the one-two weeks of hell between the rainy season and the hot season in late July where you sweat like a pig from the heat, while the air has a nice 100% relative moisture rate, efficiently making it impossible for your sweat to go anywhere.

Bring a towel.
>>
File: DSC01154.jpg (8MB, 3542x5316px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01154.jpg
8MB, 3542x5316px
>>
File: DSC01182.jpg (8MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01182.jpg
8MB, 5472x3648px
>>
File: DSC01197.jpg (7MB, 5218x3638px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01197.jpg
7MB, 5218x3638px
>>
File: DSC01286.jpg (6MB, 5075x3383px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01286.jpg
6MB, 5075x3383px
>>
File: DSC01368.jpg (4MB, 5225x2941px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01368.jpg
4MB, 5225x2941px
>>
File: 1448820698710.jpg (302KB, 1221x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1448820698710.jpg
302KB, 1221x2000px
Anyone going to Tokyo on 6th of may or later on? I'll be leaving from Romania or Budapest
>>
File: DSC01371.jpg (7MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01371.jpg
7MB, 5472x3648px
>>
File: DSC01390.jpg (5MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01390.jpg
5MB, 5472x3648px
>>
File: DSC01462.jpg (4MB, 3648x5472px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01462.jpg
4MB, 3648x5472px
>>
File: DSC01561.jpg (6MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01561.jpg
6MB, 5472x3648px
>>
File: DSC01747.jpg (545KB, 960x1440px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01747.jpg
545KB, 960x1440px
>>
File: DSC01907.jpg (3MB, 3240x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01907.jpg
3MB, 3240x2160px
>>
Anon great pictures, enjoying them but please let me know once you are done with posting so I can start the new thread
>>
File: DSC01990.jpg (1MB, 2160x1440px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01990.jpg
1MB, 2160x1440px
>>1093650
oh, sorry, I'll stop now haha
>>
File: DSC02069.jpg (6MB, 5471x3392px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02069.jpg
6MB, 5471x3392px
>>
>>1093651
no like I said me (and probably others) are enjoying the pictures, just let me know once you are done
>>
File: DSC02087.jpg (6MB, 3568x4757px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02087.jpg
6MB, 3568x4757px
>>
>>1092910
Go to bar psy or from dusk til dawn in kabukicho. Real friendly guys running both, just ask them where to go when they close and they'll show you to the next place, usually run by one of their friends.
>>
File: DSC02149.jpg (7MB, 5217x3478px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02149.jpg
7MB, 5217x3478px
>>
File: DSC02234.jpg (5MB, 3367x4489px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02234.jpg
5MB, 3367x4489px
>>1093655
はーい
12 left
>>
File: DSC02364.jpg (6MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02364.jpg
6MB, 5472x3648px
>>
File: DSC02440.jpg (2MB, 2433x3240px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02440.jpg
2MB, 2433x3240px
>>
File: DSC02554.jpg (667KB, 2544x1440px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02554.jpg
667KB, 2544x1440px
>>
>>1093661
Where was this?
>>1093584
And this?
>>
File: DSC02560.jpg (1MB, 2130x1440px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02560.jpg
1MB, 2130x1440px
>>
File: DSC02573.jpg (835KB, 2160x1440px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02573.jpg
835KB, 2160x1440px
>>
File: DSC02603.jpg (1MB, 2160x1440px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02603.jpg
1MB, 2160x1440px
>>
File: DSC02703.jpg (8MB, 5472x2782px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02703.jpg
8MB, 5472x2782px
>>
File: DSC02768.jpg (8MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02768.jpg
8MB, 5472x3648px
>>
>>1093658
>>1093660
>>1093661
Dude, resize.
>>
>>1093672
hello /p/
>>
>>1093664
First one is Ritsurin garden in Takamtsu, strongly recommend it!
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5401.html

Other one I have no idea, somewhere in the center of Tokyo.. probably close to Ochanomizu station
>>
Also I'm done now, thread-starting Anon!
>>
>>1093674
>close to Ochanomizu
It's not close, it IS Ochanomizu.

https://goo gl slash maps slash Th4uxWZgcMs
>>
>>1093678
>>1093674
Funny, that was one of the main stations I used nearly every day during my week in Tokyo, and I didn't even recognize it.
>>
>>1093676
thanks, great pictures, gave you a follow on the old flickr

New bread >>1093680
>>
>>1093630
What's the character after n? Rin(?)ro
>>
>>1093683
dou
>>
>>1093686
Ah thanks. I know all the hiragana when I see them normally, but when they write them weird like that I get confused
>>
File: spot the tengu and ape.jpg (2MB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
spot the tengu and ape.jpg
2MB, 1920x1440px
>>1093569
I have to agree on Shikoku. My travel group passed by Takamatsu and it was my personal highlight of the trip.
Went to Konpira-san (where this >>1093572 was taken), which is a beautiful old mountain shrine that you can climb in about 1400 steps to pray for safe voyages, took a ferry to Megijima, visited Ritsurin Garden, rode the Kodo-den, ate Sanuki Udon, etc.
To me it felt very warm and genuine, and also somehow nostalgic.
I hope I'll be able to return there and explore more.
>>
>>1092390
mate... sort your clobber out
>>
File: 3D-Printed-Origami-Rabbit-2.jpg (56KB, 800x504px) Image search: [Google]
3D-Printed-Origami-Rabbit-2.jpg
56KB, 800x504px
What are you experiences with gift giving in Japan? A friend I'm meeting up with is taking me to Okunoshima/Bunny island so I'm bringing one of these rabbits I 3D printed, but from my last Japan trip edible stuff seems to be the best gift. Should I just bring some local San Francisco fare like Ghiardelli?
>>
>>1093542
What's bad about Beppu?
>>
File: IMG_2321.jpg (5MB, 4000x2664px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2321.jpg
5MB, 4000x2664px
Okinawa, Ishigaki Island, next to Kabira Bay
Thread posts: 392
Thread images: 105

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.