[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 338
Thread images: 38

File: IMG_3599.jpg (115KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3599.jpg
115KB, 1000x667px
New Japan General:

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your wee fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/

*Note about the JR Rail Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1083951
>>
First for tokyo is a meme city
>>
>>1088532
Japan is a meme country
>>
Moving to Tokyo om The 29th this month to study. School got pushed up so I now have one free week before it starts. What should I see/do during this time? My budget is kinda weak
>>
Posting my maps again for newcomers. Still adding to them now and then. I'm also open for suggestions.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z4ICmjXusM-k.klol2MrwdKEE&usp=sharing

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z4ICmjXusM-k.kIbIAAC8fqXE&usp=sharing
>>
Has anyone ever been to Ube? I just got a job there and I'm trying to find out a bit more about it.

Also, Google Maps is telling me a train to Tokyo is about $200? Is that correct or is it cheaper or more expensive once inside Japan?
>>
>>1088586
no seems about right for the Shinkansen. If you want cheaper, look at flights or buses
>>
File: 1456523448307.jpg (438KB, 1280x839px) Image search: [Google]
1456523448307.jpg
438KB, 1280x839px
So i have 10 days in Japan starting out in Nagoya. I have bought a JR-pass and will be staying four days in Kyoto seeing Nara, Himeji, day trip to Hiroshima and just generally hanging out in Kyoto.

How would you use the remaining three days of JR-pass? I plan on ending up in Tokyo and surroundings by the end of my pass.
>>
What is acceptable attire for meeting businesses (in connection with my school) in Japan? I dress cleanly and nice with pants, shirts and boots. Is this sufficient? I hate the thought of bringing my suit.
>>
>>1088590

A bit more info: I have one day free prior to kyoto and then two days after.
>>
>>1088485
>Most weddings are pretty similar to western ones. If it is traditional, I am not sure. I have a Japanese friend who works to help run weddings, I can ask her if you would like. I'll probably practice Japanese with her in a week or so.

I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you!
I expect it to be Western style. Also I was going to create an art piece for them for their wedding gift. Could you ask if that should come with an additional gift?
>>
I'm going to Japan next month to study abroad. I'll have a free week in the beginning of may and my idea is to travel around the country. The thing is, I don't know where to go or what to do, I'm really lost. I know about the JR Rail Pass and it seems like a good idea to get one, but I don't know what places to visit or where to sleep. Do you guys know any blog/webpage that covers a trip like that and explain the basic stuff?
>>
>>1088597
Sure, when do you need to know by?
>>
>>1088614
>>1088537
Traveling around is fun but You will be skimming a lot if you travel around, especially if you are unfamiliar with the trains and being there. If it is your first time and you are by yourself, I recommend just chilling in Tokyo or Kyoto or Osaka. There is a ton to do, and they all have other cool cities/nature that you can get to by train in an hour or so.
>>
>>1088614
afaik you can't get the rail pass on a student visa, it's only meant for visitors

We could probably give you more specific advice on places to visit if we knew where exactly you will be studying though

Otherwise just read through this http://www.japan-guide.com/ page to get a good idea of how traveling in Japan is like
>>
Are the memes in Japan as dank as they are in North America? What kind of memes do they use? Do they use Pepe and Wojak?
>>
>>1088590
Why do so many people who visit Japan go to Nagoya? There's seriously like no reason to go to Nagoya as a traveler.
>>
File: image.jpg (72KB, 420x280px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72KB, 420x280px
I decided to do the Kumano Kodo trail, more specifically the 4 days Nakahechi trek, Takijiri to Hongu.

Anyone had experience with that? In particular I'm wondering about the luggage shuttle.. It is 4,400 yen a day (8,800 total) and doesn't seem to be worth it. What do you think?

http://www.kumano-travel.com/index/en/action_ModelCourseDetail_Detail/id59
>>
>>1088630
>you can't get the rail pass on a student visa

damn, I didn't know that. thanks.

that page is great anon, I'll take a deep look at it later. I'll be in Ishikawa.

>>1088627
i'm not into weeb stuff / japanese culture and I don't like massive tourism nor crowded places, so I don't really know what could I do in a place like Tokyo. I'd rather go to Nara or something like that.

what I was looking for was some kind of travel diaries or detailed itineraries to get an idea of what would it be like
>>
How would it be viewed if I wore a tank to japan? I'm fairly /fit/ and I'll be during the end of May where I hear its pretty hot. Would be wearing it along with jeans
>>
File: oh deer.jpg (1MB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
oh deer.jpg
1MB, 1920x1440px
>>1088657
>I don't like massive tourism nor crowded places
>Nara

Seriously, you can expect any major cultural site to be heavily visited by school classes and other tourists, unless you make it there really early.

Oh well, maybe if you're lucky some Real Traveler™ will come by this thread and give you some pointers.
>>
>>1088657
You're not into Japanese culture but you're going to Japan? Why?

Certainly you're open minded enough that you'd want to experience Japanese culture if you're in Japan, even if you're not particularly interested at this point.

>>1088664
I wouldn't recommend it anywhere than the beach really. Being fit has nothing to do with anything, it's somewhat skeezy/trashy no matter what your body looks like. Obviously less so if you're /fit/, but it's still kind of uncalled for.

If you're looking to peacock just go to the beach I guess.

May isn't that hot anyway.
>>
>>1088645
Different strokes for different folks, great food, great car scene, museums, gateway to Ise, Toba, and ski resorts, fantastic race events. Maybe not worth the itinerary for a once in a lifetime trip, but as someone who has in-laws within commuting distance it has its charms for repeat visitors
>>
>>1088652
It is worth the money, when you are doing a multi day trip
>>
>>1088664
You would not be the first dude bro or army guy to wear a tank, no one would care
>>
>>1088665
I said Nara to exemplify the kind of places I'd like to visit, very different from big cities like Tokyo

>>1088670
it's not that I'm not into japanese culture, I'm just not into the kind of japanese culture the average 4chan user is. I'm really into 50s and 60s japanese cinema and I love the works of authors like Mishima and Oe. That's why I'd like to visit places like the ones portrayed in some of those novels/films.
(This sounded really pretentious but I hope you get the general idea)
>>
>>1088689
If you travel outside of the Kyoto/Osaka/ Tokyo triangle then you wil see less tourists, but honestly even places seemingly out of the way get a lot of traffic.
>>
>>1088657
I'm just saying if it's your first time in Japan, traveling around a bunch will likely be difficult. I definitely struggled when I first arrived and would have more if I didn't have some help from friends. So I wouldn't plan something like a 5 day 5 place itinerary unless you are very confident in your traveling abilities.
>>
>>1088736
Not the anon you replied to, but do you think that even if I spent a month in Japan, that I shouldn't do a multi city trip?
>>
>>1088689
>hipster japanophile

I didn't even know scum like you exist.
>>
>>1088757
Quick ask him if he prefers Hosono over Kitano
>>
>>1088645

We are visiting Toyota with my class, which is kind of cool.
>>
File: occupier.jpg (86KB, 449x401px) Image search: [Google]
occupier.jpg
86KB, 449x401px
Has anyone ever worked as a civilian contractor on any of the US bases? I'm currently learning to weld and I'd love to spend some time in Japan
>>
How much does it rain in may? Would it be cold enough to warrant an umbrella you think?
>>
>>1088664
I did it a bunch it is hot as fuck there. It was more acceptable when I was wondering Yokohama (mostly outside) with friends, or when I went on a hike in Kamakura. But no one ever gave a shit. I have asked Japanese and foreigners living in Japan, and they both said it doesn't matter.

You will just look like a typical foreigner and if you're not obtrusive to anyone it's really fine. I guess just don't expect to go to fancy restaurants in one I guess, but the same more or less goes in almost any country.
>>
>>1088541
Cheers for these mate, heading over for a month in August.
>>
>>1088625
The wedding is in late May.
>>
>>1088736
I disagree, since you dont have to worry about scams or fake stuff and everything is perfectly on time o think its fairly easy.

If you can use google maps and the hyperdia website travelling around, at least by train which goes everywhere is incredibly easy.
>>
>>1088786
No it will be warm transitioning to humid and nonstop rain in June. Unless you are going to far northern Hokkaido you will be warm
>>
>>1088780

Yeah, have fun buddy
>>
File: 1448489858470.jpg (67KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1448489858470.jpg
67KB, 800x600px
Anyone ever bought concert tickets second hand off Yahoo Auction?
>>
>>1088807
>everything is perfectly on time
Not actually true. Usually things are on time,
but I once spent a half an hour in a train just sitting on the tracks up in Aomori prefecture. There was possibly some explanation on the loudspeaker, but of course only in Japanese.
>>
>>1088836
Same happened to me. The conductor shouted like crazy and we stood there for like half an hour, and people looked really startled. It was kinda scary.
>>
>>1088836
>>1088844
might've been a jumper, those fuckers throw themselves in front of trains daily. Had multiple delays because of them, once even saw a body being loaded up in the ambulance as we drove by
>>
>>1088591
Bring your suit the japs take that shit seriously.
>>
File: Screenshot (23).png (721KB, 717x873px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (23).png
721KB, 717x873px
First time travelling to JP. I'll be staying in Tokyo mainly but I might go to Shizouka. I'll be going in May.
Any affordable hostel? I'd like privacy, can't sleep if there are people chattering at the bar downstairs, need a place with decent and unlimited Wifi, no curfews, a bed that I can fit in, I'm tall 1,91 cm.

Can I pay for most things with my Visa electron, even if it has a different currency than yen/usd/euro?
>>
>>1088863
Two rules of thumb with money in Japan: -you never pay for anything less than 20000 yen with a credit/debit card.
-if you've broken your last 10000 yen note, it's time to head to the ATM
>>
>>1088664
When I was in Tokyo in August I saw plenty of Japanese dudes in tanks
>>
>>1088863
Also how was your experience in these capsule places?
http://goo gl/r74VEP
>>
>>1088863
check out the Khaosan around Tokyo, those are pretty decent value. There will be people chatting downstairs but it's big enough so you won't hear it. I'm 1.87m and I fit in their beds with no problems
>>1088896
eh, if you really have to, try it once for the novelty, otherwise a hostel is a better choice imo
>>
Guys, I missed out on tickets for for the Nier concert on the 16th of April, do you have any idea of the best resale places? I'm willing to pay up to about 20k yen for a ticket.

I need you guys!
>>
>>1088888
Weebs wasting a perfectly good GET
>>
>>1088534
travel is a meme. Life is a meme.
>>
How lenient are airlines with the baggage weight limit in your experience? Do they make a fuzz if it's 1kg over?
>>
>>1088676
>The amount of chinks and gooks who walk around yelling at each other is astounding and depressing.
This x1000. It's only getting worse. Wait until they start jumping queues because they forget what country they're in.
>>
>>1088888
>>1088888
>>1088888
>>1088888
MAJI?!
>>
>>1088923
depends, if your luggage looks normally sized, they probably won't bother checking. Only did it with my bags once, but then I had to make sure I was within the weight limit exactly
>>
>>1088807
You could've a better traveler than me., the first place I had to go was shinjuku station and I had no internet since the pocket wifi I ordered was broken so I was pretty overwhelmed.
>>
>>1088878
I feel like you made this up.
>>
>>1088972
Nah man, there's a peer-reviewed paper on it somewhere.
>>
Is there anything interesting to see in Tohoku on the way from Tokyo to Hokkaido?
>>
>>1088975
Snow cuties in Akita?
>>
>>1088974
Even at restaurants?
>>
>>1088652
Sorry I ended up doing the Kohechi trail from Koya-san to Hongu.

But from what I heard, if you just want to do the walk, it's a breeze without a backpack and you can just relax as you do the walk.

So ask yourself. do you want to just enjoy the walk? Or do you think you can enjoy it while carrying your luggage?
>>
>>1088689
How about visiting Shikoku island then? There's a city Matsuyama that the author Natsume Soseki lived at.

They have a famous onsen called Dogo Onsen that he liked to visit. It was also the model for the bath house in Spirited Away.

It's a nice place with castle.
>>
What's the cheapest way to travel around kanto for someone who's gonna live in japan (not a tourist)? Can't you buy any pass that will make travels around Tokyo and Chiba cheaper?
>>
>>1088975
There is Osore-zan, at the very northern tip. (Where I was going when the train stopped on me)
It's a hydrothermal area, traditionally an entrance to the underworld, with a Buddhist temple, very spooky. And with a free set of bathhouses, (men, women, mixed) Strong smell of sulfur, but the water temperature was perfect.
>>
File: annoyedshark.jpg (44KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
annoyedshark.jpg
44KB, 750x750px
>>1088524
By this time next week I will be touching down in Tokyo for a 2 week tour of Japan. Going with 3 friends that want to do every weeb thing they can during the day and get plastered every night. Will try to escape them a few times to regain sanity and find my own vacation there. Pic related, the look on my face while they weeb up the joint.
>>
>>1089054
Just make sure you get a map or something and you can lose them easy as fuck
>>
I'm on a shinkansen bound for Kyoto at the moment.

> Going to Osaka tomorrow.
> Going to Sapporo and some other Hokkaido places next week.

What to expect?
>>
>>1089085
>Going to Osaka tomorrow.
>What to expect?
Disappointment.
>>
Any good books or ways to learn Japanese?
>>
>>1089086
I take it your Japanese is nonexistence then? Osaka is a ton of fun because the people are so friendly
>>
>>1089095
search /a/ for djt
>>
File: 10irj3.jpg (66KB, 648x364px) Image search: [Google]
10irj3.jpg
66KB, 648x364px
>>1088524
Bes time to go to Japan is September because:

1. There won't be many tourists
2. The plane tickets are cheap
3. The weather is not too hot, not too cold

Good luck anons!
>>
File: 10irfb.jpg (45KB, 580x327px) Image search: [Google]
10irfb.jpg
45KB, 580x327px
>>1089095
Learn 5 new Japanese words per day. If you do this every day, in 365 days that's over 1,825 words. If you learn the the 2000 most common words, you should be able to hold a decent casual conversation
>>
>>1088586
Ube? In Yamaguchi Prefecture?
I lived there for 6 months back in 2012. It's a smaller city, it's a industrial town more or less. Give Hofu a try as well. Beautiful shrine. Yamaguchi is very much rural not much big cities. Closest big city is Fukuoka.
>>
>>1089102
Those 2 are both fucking ugly....he could have done a lot better though with all his billions
>>
>>1089085 here.

Holy shit Kyoto has the best sweets. Those chocolate green tea biscuits man. The Ryokan is awesome too.
>>
Does Tokyo Disneyland have a big store that's accessible without going into the parks like Downtown Disney?
>>
>>1089026
Thank you, sounds cool. Will definitely look into it.
>>
Is there any international hangout in Tokyo? I'm loving it here, but I've been away from home for almost a month now, after being sent elsehwere for work before coming to Japan, and I could really just use some other foreigners to chat it up with.
>>
>>1089165
Mickey House in Takadanobaba maybe.
>>
>>1089113
Not everyone is a slave to the pussy.
>>
Alright I just want to know how it feels to hit an izakaya after a hard day in Tokyo? Especially when it's raining outside and it's dark. Does ir feel fucking awesome?

I want to hype myself up if I ever go to Tokyo.
>>
>>1089101
>Not mentioning Silver Week (you will have difficulties traveling)
>Hot as fuck, raining

October is better.
>>
>>1089261
>Not mentioning Silver Week (you will have difficulties traveling)

The next silver week is in 2020, and then it's every 4-5 years
>Hot as fuck, raining
I was there all of September and saw 1 day of rain. Also depends on your definition of hot as fuck, I find 25°C fairly comfortable

That said, my favorite month is still August
>>
>>1089267
oh 2026

lel seems like I got cucked pretty badly by it last year then
>>
>>1089245
I was on vacation but went to s tiny hidden izakaya in a suburb just off of shinjuku and I had the best meal I ever had, 6 bucks. There were people drinking and we drank and practiced out languages together, it was awesome.
>>
>>1089267
Why? Isn't obon in August? Or is it not that bad?
>>
>>1088689

> I'm just not into the kind of japanese culture the average 4chan user is

>I'm really into 50s and 60s japanese cinema

there's a thread on /tv/ about this shit every day

>I love the works of authors like Mishima and Oe

/lit/ constantly mentions these entry level authors

hmm. so you're trying to seem superior to purveyors of contemporary japanese culture by mentioning slightly older, modern japanese culture?

i think im going to be sick.
>>
>>1089302
Thanks man.
>feels good
>>
>>1089307
>trying to tell off the snob by being a snob
>>
>>1089306
not as bad as Silver/Golden week

Also August still has fireworks and Matsuri each weekend
>>
>>1089099
will it be hard for me to have fun if i'm solo and don't know any japanese?
>>
>>1089099
I'm fluent and sure its more friendly than Tokyo but it can't compare to smaller towns.
>>
>>1089267
>>1089261
What exactly is wrong with silver/golden weeks?
>>
>>1089356
It's basically spring vacation but for everyone so the natives are traveling, flight prices are highest and a lot of places are closed.
>>
Guys whats the best way to exchange USD to Yen?

I have 2k I'm taking to Japan for my week and a half trip so I wanna know where i can exchange for the best deal.
>>
>>1089379
Find a credit/debit card with low/zero exchange fees, go to japanese 7/11 ATM. Select "no conversion".
If you can manage this, it will be the cheapest option by far.
>>
>>1089381
When you first get there you have to convert some at the airport to get to a 7/11 though, right?
>>
>>1089402
ATMs at airports usually accept foreign cards. It doesn't have to be 7/11 ones, it's just that many ATMs in japan don't take foreign cards, but 7/11 ones always do.
>>
>>1089403

Don't forget the ATMs at post offices.
>>
A question about Sakura:
I'll be getting to Kyoto at the 10th of April. I thought about giving it 4-5 days and then go to Nara and Mt. Yoshino. Will it be too late to catch the cherry blossom there (I heard it's the most impressive one)?
I can go straight from Kyoto to Nara on the 10th and then get back to Kyoto to explore it proparly, but that's more complicated and time wasting.
Thank you!

Btw http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2011.html
>>
>>1089312
That anon really had no choice in the matter, his tastes were literally pleb 2.0 tier.
>>
Would a bathhouse be within 15 minutes walking of virtually anywhere in Tokyo/Kyoto? Also how often do people generally bathe there?
>>
>>1088524
I'm planning a trip to japan next year and I was wondering what the best way to live a lazy lifestyle over there for two weeks would be?

By that I mean find a small apartment, sit in it all day with a fan on reading manga and eating snacks with the occasional night time trip to a store for noodles and porn.

Also is it illegal to bring back a seifuku and girls PE uniform, obviously not a previously owned one.
>>
>>1089435
Have you considered visiting aokigahara?
Maybe you should.
>>
>>1089435
Are you genuinely autistic?
>>
Has anyone here met a Japan celebrity? How do they react to people going up and asking for a picture/autograph?

Just wondering. I know it most likely will never happen but if I see Yumi Kazama in the street I would love to get a picture with her. Just wondering if there's a certain ettiquette.
>>
>>1089435
>>1089438

God the autism is palpable.
>>
>>1089439
>>1089438
>>1089435
Why did the thread get so many idiots all of a sudden?
>>
File: 10ith2.jpg (37KB, 293x400px) Image search: [Google]
10ith2.jpg
37KB, 293x400px
>>1089439
There are english speaking escort agencies; just google it :)
>>
>>1089437
>>1089440
>>1089441
>mfw just asking an honest question

Seriously though are there any restrictions on renting a crappy apartment for a few weeks, I've heard it's hard as fuck for foreigners to buy land over there and is buying highschool uniforms a customs red flag?
>>
>>1089381
What's "no conversion"?
>>
>>1089444
Your options are AirBnB or a sharehouse.
>>
>>1089444
>is buying highschool uniforms a customs red flag

>clothes are customs red flag

Dude. Think.
>>
>>1089438
Like anyone else really, I met Funakoshi Eiichiro while he was on vacation in Paris, he had an entourage which was intimidating, but fuck it I asked him for a picture anyway.
>>
>>1089434
This is a dying breed, they still exist, but generally off the beaten track, you would be better off finding an onsen
>>
>>1089419
There are Sakura forecast maps similar that foliage maps, not all are accurate though so keep an eye on me take your best shot and hope the map was right
>>
Is it true that you can get away with a ton of petty crimes in Japan or did that Canadian guy lie to me?
>>
>>1089492
That Canadian guy is a piece of shit. The worst part was how he called everybody a weeb if they pointed out how shit he was

>you're a scumbag
>sh-shut up weeb!

I think he genuinely has aspergers syndrome.

In answer to your question, stealing is just as easy/hard as any other country.
>>
>>1089060
Have maps loaded on my pad. I know I'm going to have fun there, just has to be my own kind of fun!
>>
>>1089492

Depends on what you mean by 'get away with', and what kind of 'petty' crime you're talking about. Bicycle theft/"borrowing" is pretty common.
>>
>>1089487
Oh really? Since my airbnbs don't have showers, where to bathe (besides the one day I'm going to an onsen)?
>>
File: teaing_is_believing.jpg (2MB, 2800x2100px) Image search: [Google]
teaing_is_believing.jpg
2MB, 2800x2100px
I'm planning to visit many cities over 7 weeks in October and November and collecting a fair amount of 4K video.

Does the internet service in business hotels vary a great deal or is it universally awesome/meh? Will it be a problem to upload multiple GB of data every day to Google Drive (or somewhere else)? Namely I'm curious about transfer speeds and possibly caps on the amount of upstream transfer allowed.

In case I have a problem with hotel internet access, can I take my laptop to an internet cafe and go nuts, uploading tens of GB in a sitting?
>>
>>1089446
Many ATMs will offer you to charge the withdrawn amount in your cards native currency (USD). However, the conversion rate will usually be worse than what you'd get if you just let your own bank handle the exchange.
>>
>>1089543
Well the guy in the thread was saying shit like just walking out with a cart full of groceries and the like.
>>
>>1089544
>my airbnbs don't have showers
Did you airbnb the bottom of a brigde?
>>
>>1089379
Ask your bank
>>
Leaving for the motherland in about three weeks, got my IDP and 22.5万 for an 18 day trip. Anyone know if Hitachi Seaside Park is worth visiting this time of year? I'll be traveling between Tokyo and Iwate and I want to stop there along the way.
>>
>>1088753
A month you'd be fine, definitely hit up multiple cities, it takes like a few days to get comfy with the trains, depending on your level of Japanese. But traveling for hours to multiple cities for just one week is just tough. Plenty of time in a month though.
>>
>>1088801
So she actually called me the other day, and I asked. Suit is fine, attire is the same at western.
Unfortunately, she said you should always being money, 3万円, which today is 265 dollars (!!!). You can gift them the art too if you are good friends with them, but she said always bring money.
>>
>>1089316
Try traveling around New Year's. I stood by the door of a shinkansen from kyoto to tokyo because they were standing room only and the aisle was full through the entire train.
>>
>>1088981
Most restaurants aren't gonna take your credit card anyway.
>>
>>1089575
Yeah, that's the way weddings are in Japan. All guests are expected to bring that much. She isn't trying to be rude or anything.
>>
>>1088836
I had this happen on a shinkansen, there was a house fire right next to the tracks so we were delayed for about an hour.
>>
>>1089544
>my airbnbs don't have showers
I think you booked a internet cafe? But even they sometimes have it.
>>
>>1089544
If it really doesn't have a shower go find a public bath, there's probably one near you.
>>
>>1089435
>sit in it all day with a fan on reading manga and eating snacks
Trying to live out your anime dream? Man so many retards. You can do that in your home country.
>>
>>1089492
>>1089555
Whether true or not. It's an asshole move. There is a reason why people in Japan trusts everyone because people generally don't do petty crime. But hey I can't stop you.
>>
>>1089589
oh I dont intend to I just wanted to see if it was true.
>>
Anyone wanna hang out in Tokyo sometime on the 28th or 29th?
>>
>>1089593
Why would you want to meet someone from 4chan
>>
>>1089599
not him but I did in Japan, it was fun
>>
>>1089599
Eh, not everyone here is a fucking sperg and most people that can afford to travel are relatively well-adjusted.
>>
>>1089593
I might. Did you have something particular in mind?
>>
>>1089610
Nope, not really. What are you into?
>>
>>1089590
It's not. People notice gaijin more, and the police will fuck you up and no one will care
>>
>>1089617
Food, most of all, man. And just generally seeing as many sides of the city as possible. I wanna film a lot.
>>
>>1089621
Is it your first time there then? There's so much shit to do, it's a little overwhelming.
>>
>>1089110
That's it exactly. I'll be moving there in May. I'm kinda bummed it's so far from Tokyo and Kyoto, but it sounds like there's still stuff to do. How did you like living there?
>>
>>1089650
>>1089110
English teacher? I'am thinking of becoming an English teacher but if it means being away from the big cities I'am okay with that.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
Classical japanese paintings: what are some good places exhibiting these? Also, a place to buy a poster of a painting such as this (And how much would it cost)?
(Will be in Osaka, Hiroshima, Kyoto, Nara, Tokyo)
>>
>>1089650

My family is from just north of there. It's boring as all hell imho
>>
>>1088524

How easy would it be to get an apartment in Tokyo for a month with high speed internet? Is it even worth it?

I don't speak a ward of Japanese. It's either that or Costa Rico while milking remote job.
>>
>>1088541
>Nadeshico
Just wondering, does that restaurant have an English menu?
>>
>>1089484

Did he give you a picture
>>
>>1089646
No, it's my second time. I know there's an overwhelming amount of stuff to do, so a lot of it will probably feel like my first time. Didn't get to do that much last time.
>>
>>1089691
http://www.nadeshico-sushi.com/menu.html

Shouldn't be too hard to order with some basic Japanese
>>
File: oj.jpg (109KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
oj.jpg
109KB, 600x375px
What are good sites to search for housing?

What should I bear in mind in order to get the cheapest cost possible?

I need: sink, stove, toilet, bath, internet.
All else is pretty much optional.

When I studied abroad my friend found some noname realtor who got us an old rickety house for about 25,000 yen a month which had just about everything I needed despite not being the the finest of places.

tl;dr whats the cheapest way to live?
>>
>>1089472
>fat balding fuck bringing through a Japanese middle school girl uniform
Sounds a bit red flaggy to me.
>>
>>1089761
So is a place that has a sink, stove, toilet, bath, Internet and an immovable stench of cigarettes and cat piss, alright with you?

What a place doesn't have might matter too.
>>
>>1089765
I'm just summarizing. Such things are obvious
>>
File: 1455566207577.jpg (485KB, 2552x1720px) Image search: [Google]
1455566207577.jpg
485KB, 2552x1720px
So if a place says no guarantor needed, then there is nothing else that is stopping me from getting the accomodation indepent of a guarantor or my company right? Thats the only limiting factor?

And are housing places sneaky? If they say no key money, no deposit, no agent fee, is that reliable or will they work them out of you some sneaky way?
>>
>>1089773
Well honestly they might just refuse you because they don't like that you're white. There's a million reasons they can refuse someone and a million other they can play it as.

Does it matter how sneaky they are? They name a price and if you're happy with it you pay it. If you're not you don't. That's how the rest of the world works.
>>
>>1089790
>Does it matter how sneaky they are?
>They name a price and if you're happy with it you pay it. If not you don't
This is the point. I'm simply asking if they say no key money, no deposit, etc can I trust that thats true? Or will they just write that on the listing then when you sign the contract they're like "oh by the way please pay these fees"

ie Do they lie?
>>
File: 1024px-JRH-kiha261-Super-SOYA.jpg (144KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1024px-JRH-kiha261-Super-SOYA.jpg
144KB, 1024x768px
I am going to a place called Wakkanai and this will be my carriage.
>>
>>1089792
Terms can change if you are a foreigner there really is t much recourse since Japan is all "lol foreigners"
>>
File: IMG_20151220_101730.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151220_101730.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
>>
>>1089657
Tokyo National Museum, it's in Ueno Park.
>>
>>1089804
>he doesn't know where he is going
Japanese puns aside, near!
>>
>>1089804
Purple vagina
>>
File: please stick it in, oniisan.jpg (50KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
please stick it in, oniisan.jpg
50KB, 600x600px
>>1089546
You might want to bring an RJ45 USB adapter.
Wifi might break down in the evening - at least it did in several Toyoko Inns I stayed at - but the cable line in my room worked fine.
>>
>>1088665
If you go early in the morning, you'll have it to yourself. You'll feel like a ghost, walking past all the tame deer.
>>
Can someone explain to me how Visas work over there? I'm planning on staying for more than 90 days, thanks in advance.
>>
Ignoring foreign transaction fees is the 7 Eleven ATM exchange rate close to the actual exchange rate?
>>
File: o0480064013071007665.jpg (96KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
o0480064013071007665.jpg
96KB, 480x640px
>>1090031
>>1090020
www.google.com
>>
>>1090020
>I'm planning on staying for more than 90 days

LOL. A visa is official permission to stay in the country. Want to stay more than 90 days in Japan? These are your choices: (1) Study at an officially recognized school for longer than a 90-day period; (2) Be rich, open a business, get an investment visa; (3) Be sponsored for an employment visa by a company in Japan; and (4) Marry a Japanese national. That's pretty much it. Absent one of the above, if you overstay the visa you're given at the airport (90 days for most citizens of first-world countries) you will most likely be arrested/have the shit kicked out of you by the police/deported. Oh, and you will never be permitted back into Japan ever again.
>>
Anyone know of a good resource/site for restaurants and bars to check out in Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto?

When I went last year, I just randomly walked into restaurants and tried whatever I wanted, but I'm going with friends this year and I'm suppose to have a plan.
>>
>>1090039
(5) Be under 30 and from a developed country that isn't America
>>
>>1090039
>Oh, and you will never be permitted back into Japan ever again.
nope
http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/taikyo/qa.html
>>
>>1090053
Are you talking about working holiday visas? These are limited to citizens from 15 different countries (yes, the US isn't included, but neither is Belgium, The Netherlands, Spain, Italy, etc.). Also, some of the nationalities that are eligible for working holiday visas still face a quota (Hong Kong is limited to 250 working holiday visas a year, for example).

>>1090055
Yep. As of now, 5-year bans for first offenders and 10-year bans for second offenders. Of course, if you're charged and convicted of a crime other than overstaying, a lifetime ban then comes into play. I think also if you're convicted of a crime outside Japan during the ban period you're then banned from Japan for life.
>>
>>1090058
To be fair the Japanese currently have no way to verify that you commuted a crime outside of Japan during the ban. What they are counting on is that the home country will strip the passport if the person is convicted of certain types of felonies
>>
>>1090039
>>1090020
Jump over the SK for a bit and get a new visa,

It's really that easy.

..At least if you're from straya
>>
>>1090043
No. I used the lonely planet book for things to do and it was great for eveything except food. Almost anything listed will be full of foreigners and way over-priced, which I leaned the hard way. Jaoan, especially Tokyo, has an incredible amount of restaurants that are delicious.

That said, tsurutontan was a great and famous udon place in roppongi
>>
Anyone have any experience or stories of staying at the Momijiya Ryokan Kyoto?

Please share
>>
4th trip to japan in april. getting pumped man. first time to hokkaido.
>>
>>1090228
How long are you staying? Which places are you going to visit? I'm planning on going to Hokkaido as well.
>>
File: o0400026711260723985.jpg (55KB, 600x401px) Image search: [Google]
o0400026711260723985.jpg
55KB, 600x401px
Is Japan of the patrol car?
>>
>>1090058
a simple 'I was wrong' would have sufficed
>>
>>1090334
>a simple 'I was wrong' would have sufficed
OK. You were wrong.
>>
>>1089113
That "value over appearence" attitude is probably why he is a billionaire.
Ugly chicks give it all when they fuck.
>>
>>1090043
Gurunavi and Tabelog
>>
Osaka, kyoto or Tokyo (again)

I've spent two weeks in Tokyo and I want to go back to Japan. I'm mostly interested in food and traditional culture.

Where would you recommend I visit for a week?

Or alternatively Seoul? I've never been to Korea.
>>
>>1090364
Visit Seoul, break new ground and decide for yourself which country you want to return for repeat visits.
>>
The lack of public toilets in Tokyo is a bit disconcerting. Where do you go when you gotta go?
>>
>>1090366

Starbucks, McDonalds. The hotel.
>>
>>1090366
Conbinis (convenience stores). Lawson, Family Mart, Sankus, 7-11, etc. -- they're everywhere, and most of them have bathrooms you can use.
>>
>>1090366
Yet it's easier to rid yourself of a log than to rid yourself of trash.
>>
>>1089589
This. Going to Japan and stealing shit is like being an Arab and raping Europeans. Not helping the stereotype mayne.
>>
How much cash should you really carry when traveling in Japan? I've heard that ATMs often don't accept foreign cards, but also that restaurants won't take pre=paid credit cards either.

As a side, how detailed should an itinerary really be? Some people seem to have everything planned out by the minute, whilst others have literally one word for a day.
>>
>>1090405
>I've heard that ATMs often don't accept foreign cards
Isn't this a thing of the past by now? You shouldn't run into any problems at 7/11s or post offices, i think.
>>
>>1090405
>I've heard that ATMs often don't accept foreign cards

I've never had any problems.
>>
>>1090405
>how detailed should an itinerary really be?

Well that's really up to you. Its your holiday. Do what you want :)
>>
>>1090405
>>1090418
American here, I ran into this problem a bit. 7/11s are guaranteed to take foreign cars though. Any time I entered a new city I'd make note of any 7/11's I saw.
>>
>>1088590
Day-trip to Hiroshima seems a bit little but I assume your hotels are already booked. And although the shinkansen is fast it takes a lot of time to cross Japan but I guess you already have bought the JR Pass? Flights are good, a bit scary to book through ANA but it can be done. A night in Hakone on your way to Tokyo could work, I believe it was JR al the eay through (with the private Romance express directly to shinjuku).
My tip would be don't try to jam to much in to this one trip, regarding Japan my motto is that there's always next time, so unless it's a major area like Kyoto/Osaka or Tokyo, give the fringe areas their fair due, because it's better to do 90-100 % in one area and have it checked off rather than doing 40-60 % and not feeling that it's warranted to go back for that last percentile.
>>
>>1090405
I basically put a few districts or attractions grouped by day, along with the station they're at and a word or two description of what's there. Seems way better than having a whole hour by hour schedule and it getting screwed up somewhere along the way.
>>
>>1089844
This. Went to the Tokyo Nat Museum in '08 and had a great time there. Heck, the whole Ueno neighborhood was really good.
>>
Debating where to spend my exchange semester in the summer semester of 2018 (So roughly March-June, with maybe 1-2 months for traveling afterwards)

My choices are: Waseda, Keio or Hitotsubashi in Tokyo, Nagoya University, Kobe Universtiy or Otaru University

I've been to Japan twice before and absolutely loved Tokyo, so that's where I'm mostly tending to go to. I have to set priorities however and rank the colleges from 1-3, based on which I want to study at mostly. Anybody knows if Keio or Waseda is better?

Also just out of curiosity, has anyone been to Otaru before? What's the city like? I imagine it must be a lot cheaper than Tokyo and I've never been to Hokkaido so there's that
>>
>>1090460
>has anyone been to Otaru before?
I've been there many times. On the plus side, the seafood (especially sushi) is really good, and it's quite an inexpensive place to live. On the negative side, it's a small city without much going on and very little to see/do. It is however very close to Sapporo (train takes an hour, you can drive there in 30 minutes if you have a car). It's also convenient for travel in Hokkaido, so lots of outdoor activities (including skiing in March and April).

Tokyo would be best if you want something to do every day/night. Nagoya is cheaper than Tokyo, but still a big city, but without lots of foreigners (if you want that "authentic" Japanese experience). Kobe is part of the greater Tokyo-Osaka urban conglomeration; I don't know all that much about it but would guess you may as well choose Tokyo.

I do know a lot about Hokkaido, though, so if you have any questions, ask away.
>>
>>1090534
>Nagoya is cheaper than Tokyo, but still a big city, but without lots of foreigners (if you want that "authentic" Japanese experience).

There aren't even "lots of foreigners" in Tokyo. Well over 99% of people you'll see in Tokyo--on the train, in the streets-- in a given day are Japanese. I think maybe what you were trying to say is Nagoya has even fewer foreigners than Tokyo, which is true, but I think clarification is needed in case somebody who had never been before got the impression that Tokyo somehow has this huge expat population like Dubai or is else is overrun with holidayers/foreigners like Pattaya or something. It's not.

>>1090460
Don't quote me on it, but I believe Kobe University is the most prestigious of those. Granted I don't think the relative prestige of Japanese universities will matter much to western employers (except maybe Todai, but even that doesn't have immediate brand recognition). So I'd just pick it based on location.
>>
>>1090544
>Well over 99% of people you'll see in Tokyo--on the train, in the streets-- in a given day are Japanese
Bullshit
>>
>>1090366
Huh? Use the toilet in the train station before you leave. Parks have toilets, museums have toilets, arcades have toilets, restaurants have toilets--my point is there is a toilet anywhere from the station and then at most kinds of destinations. How is this a problem? Do you have a weak bladder or something?

>>1090379
I think it's in bad taste to use a convenience store bathroom without buying anything. Granted, no one is going to say anything to you, especially as a foreigner, but...
>>
>>1090548
The country is 98.5% Japanese. Many foreigners in Japan (like Brazilian factory workers, etc.) live in outlying areas like Shizuoka.

Well over 99% is definitely an exaggeration, but you seem to be projecting the attitude that Tokyo is overrun with foreigners. It is not. Here is some data.

http://stats-japan.com/t/kiji/11639

Tokyo is about 97% Japanese.

Interestingly, look what ranks second. Aichi, home of... Nagoya! In fact Aichi has almost as many foreigners as Tokyo. It's at about 97%. This is not surprising given the auto factories and that.

So much for
>but still a big city, but without lots of foreigners

Nagoya and Tokyo are comparable.
>>
Can you board a shinkansen with a ton of luggage? Where could you put it?

I've ridden the unreserved cars numerous times but perhaps if you get a reserved or special seat ylu can store stuff?

I'm talking 3 large suitcases and two duffel bags
>>
>>1090544
Fair enough; I can't disagree ("lots of foreigners"). However, I do think the most prestigious university in the list given is Waseda. It (and Todai) rank 1 & 2 in Japan, for what it's worth. If the anon is talking about the School of Commerce in Otaru (sorry, can't remember the official name), this has a pretty good reputation as well (LOL, for Hokkaido anyway).

>>1090549
When you've gotta go you've gotta go. Conbini bathrooms are the best choice on the go, no question about it. If you feel guilty about using them, spend Y100 and buy a bottle of water.
>>
Will I get raped if I go to japan?
>>
>>1090558
>Can you board a shinkansen with a ton of luggage?
Yes, but you'd better have help -- stops are really short. Also, if you have a ton of bags you'll really piss off the Japanese people on the same car.
>Where could you put it?
You'll have to stack it next to your seat, and in the overhead rack.
>perhaps if you get a reserved or special seat ylu can store stuff?
AFAIK, nope. The only special accommodations I know of are when you book a compartment on the train.
>I'm talking 3 large suitcases and two duffel bags
Better book a luggage forwarding service.
>>
>>1090559
>Waseda
>number 2

Definitely not. Waseda is not a bad university, but it is absolutely not the second most prestigious university in Japan. According to this list, it is number 13 (Kobe is 12th). I was wrong according to this list. Nagoya U would be the most prestigious option of the unis listed. http://www.webometrics.info/en/Asia/japan
>>
>>1090562
Depends. Do you want to get raped?
>>
>>1090567
Kinda
>>
>>1090566
From a quick look at your cite, it seems like the rankings are based on "web presence." This leads to, for example, Hokkaido University being ranked above Waseda. Hokkaido University is an excellent school, but there's no way it's better than Waseda, In the eyes of the Japanese, Todai and Waseda are #1/#2.
>>
>>1090569
Post your name and hotel room # here. And be sure to include a nude photo. I'm sure some anons will be happy to accommodate you.
>>
>>1090571
>In the eyes of the Japanese, Todai and Waseda are #1/#2

Dubious. I know it's hard to declare university ranking lists the gospel truth, but I've since looked at several other online lists and I could not find a single one that ranks Waseda as the second most prestigious university in Japan. Furthermore, I hang out on the Japanese threads on /int/ and I recall another foreigner (or maybe you?) expressing the same perception (that Waseda is number 2) and it was quickly shot down by several Japanese posters. I'm not sure how "Tokyo is number 1 Waseda is number 2" became a meme, but it seems like it is.

Here's another list for what it's worth. http://www.shanghairanking.com/World-University-Rankings-2014/Japan.html
>>
>>1090580
It's my feeling that the "Kyu Teikoku Daigaku" or "Former Imperial Universities/7 National Universities" are widely considered the most prestigious in Japan.

These top the all the lists generally. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm curious where you came to believe that Waseda is number 2?
>>
>>1090586
>I'm curious where you came to believe that Waseda is number 2

From living in Japan, working in academia, and talking to Japanese people. I agree that rankings are always going to be subjective, and of course rankings will also change depending on the area of study being considered. Anyway, at the end of the day neither of us (well, me at least) is going to attend any of these schools so there's not much point in spending too much time splitting hairs. Waseda is always spoken of well here and I cannot believe that Okayama University (your latest cite) has a better reputation overall. I don't think I'm wrong, but if I am it wouldn't be the first time! Oh, and I'm not the anon posting in /int/ -- I don't think I've been on that board in years.
>>
>>1090564
Thanks, i'll look that up.

Im moving from fukuoka to tokyo and trying to find the easiest way to transport all my shit. Planes would charge a lot for my large overweight bags probably

Moving companies charge 70,000 to 100,000 even if you just have them move 1 or 2 boxes
>>
>>1090595
Glad to be of help. Luggage forwarding services are your best bet. They won't be cheap (it is Japan, after all) but if you're doing the move by yourself they're the most straightforward way to go. The only other thing I can think of is renting a car and hauling your stuff that way -- this may be a good option if you have a driver's license.
>>
Realistically tho how much of a meme country is Japan? I know alot of weeaboos n shit talk about it and that inspired the meme but how feasible is it to move to Japan?
>>
>>1090602
>how much of a meme country is Japan?

What does this even mean? Literally, I don't have a clue what you mean by this. The word "meme" has become such a catchall buzzword the last couple years on 4chan that it just doesn't have meaning anymore.

>>1090589
Waseda has a very large enrollment and probably an enthusiastic student and alumni base. It's one of the best private schools in Japan and I think its collegiate sports teams are prominent. That might fuel such a perception.

No evidence really points to Waseda being considered Japan's second best school. There is more hard evidence to the contrary based on my posts and based on your posts.

But now I'm a bit curious and I intend to directly ask a few more Japanese people what they think about this.
>>
>>1090606
Like if you mention moving to Japan most people would just scoff and call it a joke, that's what i mean by meme, people say it so much that it's a joke. So my question is how much of a joke is it to actually want to move to Japan? Is it difficult to get a visa there? Is it expensive? Are people xenophobic and hostile to foreigners? Is the immigration process tough? Things like that.
>>
>>1090607
Why do you want to move to Japan? Your reasons for wanting to do so will determine whether or not such a desire is a "joke."

>Is it difficult to get a visa there?
It is not difficult to teach English in Japan. Therefore, it's not difficult to get either an Instructor or Humanities visa.

>Is it expensive?
Meh, compared to Europe and many places in America I would actually say no. "Japan is really expensive" is kind of a meme actually.

>Are people xenophobic and hostile to foreigners?
Generally speaking you will be treated with kindness and respect in Japan. Anyone who does not like your presence will not make it known to you directly.

>Is the immigration process tough?
If by immigration you mean the path to becoming a permanent resident or citizen, then yes, it is tough.
>>
>>1090610
Mainly interested in being able to live in a country that has dense, highly populated, interconnected city but also a lot country side. Also the fact that it has a good public transport system is appealing. There aren't many cities in the U.S. that offer alot of that same thing, aside from New York (But that's a joke city too in it's own way.). Also I like the idea of really travelling and just having the experience of living in another country, I'm very interested in travel in general and possibly eventually moving to another country.
>>
>>1090613
Just teach English in Japan then.
>>
>>1090617
More or less what I'm considering
>>
>>1090606

Ditto -- you've piqued my curiosity. I have meetings this PM with both HS teachers and university professors. I'll ask them their opinions before things start off.
>>
TL;DR where are good places to camp and/or hike in japan and what food can I easily find to take with me?

I have been considering taking my tiny light one man tent to Japan. I would like to find out about great places to camp or hike or do both, that are some what easily accessible using a JRP one place I have seen is a campsite on miyajima (a ferry covered by JRP).

I also want do some hiking at least once or twice I wouldnt mind hiking to an out of the way camping location provided I had suitable supplies. Problem is I know what sort of food I would take on a multiday camping expedition when going /out/ in the uk but what on earth could I get from a typical convenience store in Japan? Dry foods that keep well are what I would be after.
I hear camping isnt huge in japan so finding a camping stove the day I fancy heading to the hills would be a hassle? Noodles seems an obvious choice... If there is a outdoor supply store I can get to near a good hike or scenic place to set up camp then that's great.
I can get decent cooked food when I'm back in civilization and staying in hostels on other days anyway.
>>
Anyone have a good list of day hikes in Kansai? I'll be splitting two weeks between Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka, and I'll want to get out of cities at some point.
>>
>>1089593
Not >>1089610 but I'd be down to meet up. I'm meeting some friends who live in Tokyo that week, but they all have day jobs so I'll have a lot of time to kill during the day.
>>
>>1090548
not really
>>
>>1090559
>If you feel guilty about using them, spend Y100 and buy a bottle of water.

But then I'll have to pee again!
>>
>>1090534
Thanks for the reply! I'm not a big fan of skiing so I don't think that would really be for me. That said, are there any other things to do in Hokkaido as well around that time? Is it generally cold in April/March still? Also how's the public transport system compared to say Honshu or Kyushu, since I don't have a driver's license..

Also any pics from Otaru? Seems like a lovely place :3
>>1090566
>>1090571
>>1090606
thanks for the input. I think if I choose Tokyo, I'll put Waseda as the #1 target. It also seems to be relatively easy compared to western colleges judging from previous exchange students' experiences
>>
>>1090629
Kumano kodo
There was a post about it in this thread
>>
File: CdHuy_qUUAAS4mU.jpg (158KB, 600x851px) Image search: [Google]
CdHuy_qUUAAS4mU.jpg
158KB, 600x851px
Saw this on twitter. Anyone been to these kinds of weekend raves? Are they gaijin friendly? R Lounge accept gaijins? Anyone know what "Tweetvite割引" means ( it's 2,000yen when ticket from door is 2,500yen). It's 10. April which happens to be my birthday and I'd really love to go there. I don't really have any other plans for my birthday in Japan.
>>
>>1090723
>Shibuya huge club
Most of the girls will come with their friends, dance with their friends, and leave with their friends and most of the time you're only going to get anywhere if your Japanese is fairly decent
>>
>>1090725
Project much?
>>
>>1090725
Man... not everyone goes to raves to get laid. Some people actually enjoy the music. I've been fan of some of these artist since I was young weeaboo kid. Just want to know if they will let me in.
>>
>>1090723
google Tweetvite, seems to be some kind of Twitter thingy. You probably have to tweet to get a discount
>>1090729
are you 20? If yes, they'll let you in
>>
Has anyone ever used Yamato Takuhaibin to ship luggage before?
I'm want to ship my luggage from Tokyo to Okinawa, but I want to drop it off in Tokyo and have it meet me in Okinawa about a week later. Do they let you schedule when to pick up ? Their English website is pretty retarded.
>>
File: image.jpg (52KB, 470x527px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52KB, 470x527px
Going from Tokyo to Hokkaido with a Seishun 18 Kippu. Any tips on places to stop/things to do on the way?
>>
Anybody ever WWOOFed in Japan? How much free time do you usually have per week/day? Also do you need some extra money while you're working or is the food usually enough so you don't have to buy extra stuff?
>>
>>1090733
Nikko, maybe Sendai Akita and Aomori for the babes
>>
File: IMG_3339.jpg (5MB, 4272x2848px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3339.jpg
5MB, 4272x2848px
>>1090558
Shinkansen actually has a luggage limit (2 items). At the back of each car, there's a very small area behind the last row that people put their luggage. Probably 3-4 carry-on sized luggage (or 2 large suitcases) can fit back there. Generally people reserve that area for families who have strollers and just sit with their suitcases at their feet or in the overhead.

You could always book another seat just for your luggage. If you have an entire row to yourself, you could probably fit all your bags, albeit very uncomfortably. You will have a hell of a time boarding and disembarking in a reasonable amount of time, though. With that much luggage, I'd take >>1090564's advice and just forward your luggage or do a cross country road trip.

>>1090731
>Yamato Takuhaibin
Is that kuroneko? I used them to ship my luggage to Haneda airport from Tokyo. I don't remember if you can schedule a specific time for them to come pick up your luggage - IIRC you just indicate what day for pick-up and you have to hang around all day until they show up (time varies but the rep I spoke with said cutoff time is usually 3pm). If your delivery is urgent then they will have you drop it off at their shipping center instead (which is what I ended up doing).

As a side note, you may want to have someone who knows Japanese nearby because you need to fill out some forms (delivery address, desired delivery date, etc). I was lucky in that the employees at the center were very patient and phoned someone who spoke English that could translate for me. The driver who is picking up your luggage may not have the time to afford you the same courtesy.
>>
>>1090641
Let's make something happen. I have time on the 29th.
>>
Is renting a car and driving through Japan viable? Thinking of starting in Nagasaki and driving through most of the big cities, with Tokyo as last destination.
>>
File: slide_249648_1497476_free.jpg (216KB, 1200x899px) Image search: [Google]
slide_249648_1497476_free.jpg
216KB, 1200x899px
how do i become yakuza?

Ive heard they like mexicans in there
>>
>>1090788
I'm 120kg 191cm (6'3"). Will they let me join as a scary body guard? I have military training and I know little bit taek won do.
>>
File: 2378303359_1a43339773_o.jpg (6MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
2378303359_1a43339773_o.jpg
6MB, 3648x2736px
is it safe to say most shrines and temples closed at night? or can i still go?
what are some other cool sunset/night views in japan?
>>
File: Kurashiki2-1.jpg (566KB, 1280x1016px) Image search: [Google]
Kurashiki2-1.jpg
566KB, 1280x1016px
>>1090723
> extreme hard
kek

whats your favorite inaka, jaypee?
>>
File: 1415740423846.jpg (298KB, 664x1675px) Image search: [Google]
1415740423846.jpg
298KB, 664x1675px
Is Hokkaido and Kitakyuu worth visiting?

I plan to travel through Japan for 20-25 days and would like to see lots of the country. What are the must-go cities and what else would you recommend seeing?

I'm just getting started with planning my trip and despite having studied Japanese for two years I don't know a whole lot about the topography or where to go beyond Osaka, Kyoto and Tokio, so please excuse the noobishness of my question.
>>
>>1090797
Most temples will be closed but many shrines are accessible at all hours simply for the fact that they are just out in the open - fushimi inari in Kyoto being a prime example.
>>
Anyone with experience doing enjo kousai?
>>
>>1090788
>>1090859
>trolling /trv/

Seriously just go to /int/ man you'll get more bites there.
>>
>>1090606

Results of my scientific anecdotal survey: HS teachers say Nagoya, Kyushu, and Tsukuba are nos. 2 to 4, with Waseda and Keio of the same quality. University lecturers say the first tier is Todai and Kyodai only, and that there are many second tier schools (all roughly equal), with Waseda and Kyushu prominently mentioned.

>>1090716
>are there any other things to do in Hokkaido as well around that time? Is it generally cold in April/March still? Also how's the public transport system

It's still cold in April; things don't warm up until early May (but there will still be snow in the higher elevations, and in eastern Hokkaido). The #1 thing to do is hanami (Hakodate is particularly well known for this). If you don't like skiing, all that's left at that time of year is general tourism. Public transportation is good in the cities and not so good in the inaka; transportation between cities is OK but time consuming.

>>1090780
>Is renting a car and driving through Japan viable?

Yes. Rental prices aren't too bad, and gasoline is really cheap right now (yesterday you could get it for Y102/liter). Major roads have good signage. Keep in mind you'll need an international driver's license, which is pretty easy to get.

>>1090817
>Is Hokkaido and Kitakyuu worth visiting?

Hokkaido, yes, if you're into outdoors stuff. The 2 major cities are Sapporo and Hakodate; both are worth a day or two. IMHO secondary cities (Kushiro, Asahikawa, etc.) are rather boring -- if you've seen one you've seen them all. Driving through the countryside (inaka) is much more interesting, but you need a car. Spring/summer you can go rafting, hot-air balloon, horseback riding, scuba diving (lakes), hang gliding, hiking, etc. Freshness/quality/price of food in Hokkaido is superior to that of the rest of Japan (in terms of ingredients, not necessarily the cooked final product).
>>
Is anime good
>>
>>1089540
You're set then, there are so many nooks and crannies and alleyways and shit you could dip off down, honestly the only reason my friends kept track of me is because I'm 6'4"
>>
>>1090366
Fuck are you talking about, the public toilets in Tokyo are miles above what I've dealt with in the US
>>
>>1090562
Only if you follow the Nigerians
>>
>>1090602
You better be in a damn good profession or an English teacher if you want to move to Japan.
>>
Big trouble!
I leave for Japan tomorrow but forgot to research a SIM card! When I arrive in Haneda, where should I go? Could someone please recommend/direct me? Thanks in advance!
>>
Any suggestion of places to visit/shop/eat in Shin Okubo?
>>
>>1090945
>When I arrive in Haneda, where should I go?
Go to Tokyo, and then visit Bic Camera, Yodobashi Camera, or Yamada Denki. I presume you can buy one there.
>>
>>1090945
The airport itself should have a vending machine or a stall that sells LTE/3G sim cards. These may be in 7,14,21 days category. I got one from a stall recently that is good for 7 days for less than 3k if I remember correctly.
>>
Can Suica cards be used in Osaka, Kyoto, and Kobe?
>>
File: 10uuy1.jpg (77KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
10uuy1.jpg
77KB, 500x500px
>>1090975
Yes.
>>
>>1090970
I think there is one for around the same price that can be used for 2 or 3 months.
>>
Planning a 3 week trip next May, would I be too late for the Cherry blossoms? It's not essential, but I would have liked to see them. Also, is £4k enough for three weeks travelling between Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima and Okinawa?
>>
>>1090751
>Is that kuroneko?
Yea, I think so.
So you mean you were able to specify with them that you wanted your luggage to arrive on Haneda airport on the exact day (day of your flight)?
>>
>>1091009
Cherry Blossom blooming will be predicted about 3 months beforehand, with weather and rainfall considerations, but it will not be precise. I only know this from the fickle nature of the Washington cherry blossom festival coinciding with the actual blooms. If you are referring to a trip 14 months away, it is going to be hard to predict. Even two months out will be a guess if you want to be there at peak. As you can see on the below link, they changed the US forecast by a whole 15 days just a couple weeks before the predictions.
http://cherryblossomwatch.com/peak-bloom-forecast/
>>
>>1091009
in May probably yes unless you plan on a side trip to Hokkaido

Yes, I did a similar 3 week trip for 3000€, so it should be neough
>>
>>1090817
kitakyushu is boring.

if youre going to kyushu, go to nagasaki and fukuoka. beppu/yufuin are overrated (nothing to see there, only famous for the sheer number of onsens. you can have the onsen experience anywhere).

kumamoto isnt special, neither is aso, anything in miyazaki or kagoshima. chiran museum and yakushima island are cool, but way out of the way (especially yakushima; all the money just to get down to kagoshima then another 30,000en round trip to see some trees)

tl;dr for 20-25 days you dont need to go to kyushu except maybe nagasaki, maybe fukuoka
>>
>>1091009
>>1091024
You can also go to a city in a high altitude.
>>
>>1091033
idk, I liked Kagoshima desu, nice little city, would've loved to spend more than 2 days there.

Agree on Beppu and Yufuin though, especially Beppu. Probably the worst city I've stayed in, in Japan so far.

I would add Kurokawa though. Even if it's not just for the onsen, the small city is really nice
>>
i really love the rain and things like monsoons/thunderstorms/rain showers don't bother me a bit, if anything it makes me feel nostalgiac of my childhood (Grew up in miami)

That being said , i heard in june its the rainy season in japan and i wonder does it matter all that much, Do things get shut down? Is that why its almost alwayed mentioned in these threads?

I figure since june/july is "sticky" hot in japan that the showers would help no?

Sorry it's a bit of a strange question but i want to go to japan asap and june/july is the earliest i can make it there, but i keep getting told to avoid those months because of the rainy season/humidity. Being that i grew up in florida and am now in Ontario, i've gotten pretty used to hot weather i'm just worried its on a whole nother level.
>>
>>1091042
Go in august. Still plenty of rain from time to time and you got all those sweet fireworks.
>>
>>1090751
I was on a Shinkansen 9 days ago from Tokyo to Osaka with my Girlfriend, carrying two hand luggage cases and 2 large suitcases. As tight as it was, we sat on a double/2seats and had the large suitcases infront of us in the gap between our seats and the next set of seats infront. Couldn't use the seatback tables but it was generally okay. Placed small hand luggage overhead. Reserved our seats though, as we found from past experience that the space at the back of carts that would be beneficial for luggage is pretty much never available.
>>
>>1091042
no it just rains a lot, nothing gets shut down

People usually say you should avoid those times because well, it rains which can be quite bothersome when doing outdoor activities, but if that doesn't bother you, go for it
>>1091044
I was in Tokyo for the whole of August last year and there were maybe 3-4 days where it rained somewhat heavily (even that wasn't that bad). Maybe it's different in other parts of the country idk, but the rainy season is usually over in mid-July
>>
>>1091042
I've only been to Orlando in Florida and that was a long time ago but I think humidity is about the same in Japan. I'm from socal so I personally hate humid summers, but I think you would be able to handle it. There will still be things to do, nothing gets shut down, you just need to be okay with carrying an umbrella everywhere and being wet all the time from a mixture of sweat and rain.
>>
>>1091062
hmm, well when it gets really hot/humid i tend to like to buzz/shave my head as i fuckig hate having sweaty hair

Do japs give a fuck about bald/shaved people ?
in miami it turns me instantly into a mexican as i have a decent tan, but im not sure if people in japan give a shit
>>
>>1091067
People will think you're a monk or a criminal. Shaving hair is a punishment in Japanese culture.
>>
>>1091067
don't listen to this retard >>1091069
no people won't care if you are bald or not, especially not as a tourist
>>
>>1091071
ahh okay that had me worried for a second, i have a good head shape so i've never given a thought about buzzing it off . You quelled that quickly

>>1091069
Maybe if i was japanese/asian it would be looked down upon?
>>
>>1091072
>>1091071
Maybe I was too harsh but they will definitely estimate you to be 5-10 years older than you really are.
>>
File: 1403528402806.gif (367KB, 298x315px) Image search: [Google]
1403528402806.gif
367KB, 298x315px
Heading over to Moonland soon

Where would be the best place to convert my US dollary-doos to yen?
>>
>>1091076

>>1089379
>>
File: image.jpg (171KB, 768x555px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
171KB, 768x555px
Any recommendations for destinations using a Tokyo wide pass? I was thinking about going to Nikko after that to an onsen.
>>
>>1091023

See, it doesn't matter too much if we aren't there for the actual blooming, but I'd still like to be there when it looks good as I was planning on proposing to my gf when I'm there and thought somewhere with the blossoms would be pretty. My other concern is if I go in April, will we still get good temperatures in Okinawa? But with the bit of research I've done, the lows are only 17°c and we're Irish, so anything over 10°c is fucking glorious to us. Like you said though, it's probably too far in advance to predict anything. I also deffo don't want to be stuck there during Golden Week either, I've heard it makes traveling anywhere a complete bitch.
>>
>>1091024

Did the €3000 include flights and accommodation or was that just your spending money?
>>
>>1088541
Thanks mate, added these to my trip map
>>
>>1091104
Flights were like 500€ extra, the rest was all within those 3000€ (accommodation, 3 weeks Rail pass, food, misc.)
>>
>>1091073
japanese girls don't really give a shit how old you are, They care more about how you look/your career/how much you are NOT a weab tourist
>>
>>1091115
Dam... I'll be 27 days in Japan and I only have 2300€ saved for the trip. I'll be staying in cheap airbnb houses and I don't plan to go eat in a restaurant everyday but still reading this thread makes me worry about running out of money. Please tell me 2k€ is enough for a month.
>>
>>1091135
well I did spend money needlessly when I didn't have to sometimes (e.g. the rail pass was for 3 weeks but I only used it for maybe 8-9 days total)

On the other hand, the exchange rate back then was something like 1€=143 Yen

But hey, if you run out of money, staying in Manga Kissa or Karaoke places or even McDonald's would make a cool story
>>
>>1091135
I'm sure you'll be fine, but it depends of course on what you're planning to do.
>>
File: sdfsdf.png (282KB, 752x686px) Image search: [Google]
sdfsdf.png
282KB, 752x686px
So I'm thinking of travelling a vague route like in pic related.

Start out in Tokyo, go down to Osaka/Kyoto (Is Hiroshima worth visiting?) and then going upwards towards sapporo via the other side of Japan, hopefully seeing some nice countryside, going for a hike and visiting an onsen on the way. What are some places that I should definitely visit on my way up to sapporo (and on the way down back to Tokyo)?

The whole trip will be a bit less than a month.
>>
>>1091139
>>1091138
I'm pretty low maintenance so I thought I'd be fine. Thanks for comfort.
>>
>Plan trip from Hiroshima to Tokyo
>Remember I should contact my friends who live in Japan
>Talk to friend from Japan that went to my college on exchange
>She lives in Hiroshima now and wants to hang out the whole time I'm there
>Crap I was going to go to the Peace Museum

Um...feel incredibly awkward about the idea of visiting the Peace Museum with her. How long does it take to walk the whole museum? I might be able to squeeze it in the Monday morning I leave for Osaka and she goes back to work.
>>
File: 1403444184334.jpg (649KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1403444184334.jpg
649KB, 1280x1024px
>>1089544
I stayed in five Japanese AirBnbs. They all had showers. Just read the descriptions and look at the pictures before you book, you autist.
>>
>>1091150
>Um...feel incredibly awkward about the idea of visiting the Peace Museum with her

wat
>>
>>1091147
nikko
>>
>>1091153
Hey how does the booking happen? I plan to stay in Tokyo for a month so can I just change place on the fly or do I have to book like day or two before? Or can I just stay at one place for month? Would that be weird? Stay in someones house for a month..
>>
File: 404.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
404.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
>>1091150
Don't worry; the singed children's clothing and wax figures with melting skin make a beautiful backdrop for a lovey-dovey museum date.

Part of it was closed when I went there last year, but the museum space itself didn't seem that big, so you can make it through pretty quickly unless you read every single plaque - if you go on your last day, chances are you'll be slightly sick of being confronted with atom bomb this, atom bomb that - look at this tree which survived the atom bomb, atom bomb victims are buried in this garden, etc - by that time anyway, so you'll probably just skim over everything and make it in under 2 hours.
>>
>>1091184
Some places have a monthly rate and if they do they're perfectly fine with you staying that long. Trouble us finding a place tu hat has a continously month available to book
>>
>>1091147
I did a similar route in 17 days except I didn't bother with the west side of Japan (looks fine on paper but the trains don't connect as well and aren't as fast as in the West.) I did swing by Niigata for a concert, though. If it weren't for the concert I don't think it would be worthwhile. Sendai is nice if you want to stop in the area. It's a cool city that doesn't get so many tourists and the Fox Village is sort of close. That shinkansen is fast enough for the stop to be unnecessary though. And yeah, I'd visit Hiroshima / Miyajimi. Consider Hakodate as well if you're bothering to go all the way to Sapporo.
>>
>>1090610
>Is the immigration process tough?
>yes
The requirements are 1) have a job, 2) live in Japan for 5 or more years, 3) renounce any other citizenships you have. Something like +90% of people who apply for citizenship are successful. Probably getting a job is the biggest hurdle if you don't want to teach English forever.
>>
>>1091021
Yes, although I think the sentiment was more "we want to make sure we can get your luggage delivered before your plane leaves". I dropped off my bag 2 days before which was their cut-off for airport deliveries iirc.

>>1091150
The museum is quite small but there is a ton of plaques to read. If you do the audio guide, you will stand in front of some displays for a good 5-10 minutes before moving to the next window. 2 hours is a good estimate for doing everything, add another hour if you absolutely must read every bit of text and watch every video to its completion. BTW i recommend going to see the dome & flame early in the morning. Around late morning there was a line of people leaving flowers at the flame and praying. It made taking photos rather awkward. Also, definitely eat oysters and okonomiyaki while there. Hiroshima style okonomiyaki is the best in the country.
>>
>>1091237
They're working on passing a bill that would make it easier to work in certain fields in certain regions of the country if you graduated from a Japanese college or vocational school. Part of Abe-nomics probably

Also in general with the poor birth rate they're going to have to choose between keeping the population "pure" or making it easier for foreigners to come in and make happu babies.
>>
Going to Japan(Tokyo) for my second time in two days. Visiting girlfriends family.
Last time I was kind of busy helping her dad setting up some stuff for his business and meeting her other family members so this time I will be able to go to more areas I want.
I was wondering what are some must visit areas for someone who loves the Sengoku Period? I went to the Edo-Tokyo Museum last time which had some stuff for it but was mostly based on the Tokugawa Shogunate. Also I will be going to the Samurai Museum in Shinjuku.
Besides Tokyo I will be in Yokohama, Saitama and maybe western Chiba
>>
Is there an English app that can get you around using only JR trains for JR Pass holders?
>>
I was wondering if any of you guys have had the experience of using JAL's Japan Explorer Pass for domestic flights. I am planning a trip this December and it will involve multiple locations like Fukuoka, Tokyo and Sapporo and I've encountered this offer while browsing for plane tickets. Is it more cheaper than just booking at economy-domestic carriers?
>>
>>1091259
I haven't had any experience with it
>>
>>1091261
Thanks for your input.
>>
>>1091035
its a fine enough city, but its no different than any other typical city of a certain size in japan other than a less-than-stellar volcano off in the distance.

for someone with limited time in the country, there is far better to spend time and money on than kagoshima. especially given how far out of the way it is. its like niigata or aomori in that respect
>>
File: Independent Thought.png (160KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
Independent Thought.png
160KB, 500x374px
Nagasaki > Hiroshima
Nagasaki A-bomb Memorial/Museum > the ones in Hiroshima
>>
Does anybody know if the lockers in tokyo train stations can be used and accessed overnight?

Just checked into a capsule hostel, the lockers are not safe, they even told be at the reception.

Pretty pissed now since i dont know what to do with my laptop and small valuables when i go party.

Thanks
>>
>>1091164
>>1091228
Gotcha, thanks.
>>
>>1091353
Japan is one of the safest countries in the world, if not the safest. Your valuables are safe.
>>
New bread >>1091402
>>
>>1091376
This is a retarded attitude. Crime in Japan is low because people are considerate but also because they're cautious. There's a reason coin lockers lock.

If the capsule hotel staff say leaving valuables aren't safe, it would be a good idea to take that at face value.
>>
>>1091455
*isn't
>>
>>1091455
In my almost one year of experience in Japan the only problems I had with stuff being stolen was in areas full of foreigners. Capsule hotels full of cheap tourists could be a problem.

On the other hand places that Japanese considers dangerous can be safer than places people from your country considers safe and low crime.
>>
What are some must see places in Kyoto with only 2 days.
>>
File: 5266085466_d43174cfa9_b.jpg (211KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
5266085466_d43174cfa9_b.jpg
211KB, 800x534px
>>1091780
Gion and Kiyomizudera, the Gion Corner show is a ripoff though. The Golden temple is alright, not a must and it's pretty far from other stuff. If you must go, go as early as possible it fills with tourists fast. Nijo-jo is a pretty cool castle. If you're a weeb/otaku the International manga museum is a must and they just opened a Kyoto Pokemon Center. And it's a 45-minute train ride away but Fushimi Inari is gorgeous just be prepared for some hiking. To this day Fushimi Inari at night is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. There's also amazing street food towards the front and lots of udon shops on the hike up.
>>
>>1090064
Easy, they'll ask for your record, or proof that you don't have a record.
>>
>>1091780
Ginkakuji/jishoji, way nicer than kinkakuji
>>
>>1090440
I had trouble at 7/11 (Canadian) but the post office ATM's worked for me
>>
>>1091186
nothing like being 5 white guys in the museum and everyone just staring at us.
Thread posts: 338
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.