[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to go to Oktoberfest this year. What kind of things do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

File: oktoberfest-waitress[1].jpg (433KB, 940x600px) Image search: [Google]
oktoberfest-waitress[1].jpg
433KB, 940x600px
I want to go to Oktoberfest this year.

What kind of things do I need to know regarding etiquette, money, things to do/not do?

It will only be for a couple of days (I might die if I go for too long) but I'd like to think I could do more than just sit with my friend drinking beer for two days.

Any experiences, stories or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.
>>
>>1090775
You will wake up on the side of a hill at some point. If you don't, you did it wrong.
>>
>>1090775
dont go in october
>>
>>1090775

I have been once and it was an absolute madhouse and I have no plans to ever return. I prefer the other beer festivals in Bavaria but I do understand wanting to go and experiencing it so...

1. Beer is expensive and you're not allowed to walk out with a "souvenir" Maß -- there are plenty of places to buy them outside of the venue.

2. Learn the words to Ein Prosit.

3. Most folks are happy to let you sit at a table with them but do respect the Reserviert signs.

4. Don't grab the women.

5. Do try out the different tents.

6. Find lodgings now.

7. Have fun.
>>
>>1090775
Get some traditional bavarian garb now. It's quite customized, some of it, and buying off the rack last minute may gave you a different treatment in your faux halloween versions. Shoes are basically quality leather brands and quite timeless, esp for dancers.
>>
>>1090789
Noted.

>>1090827
Also noted.

>>1090837
Thank you. I have no plans to go again if it's anything like I imagine, but it's somewhere to go when I'm relatively young I think.

I had no idea you had to reserve tables in the tents.

>>1090840
I'm pretty damn tall so if I do I hope it looks OK. It's not essential is it?
>>
>>1090844
>I'm pretty damn tall so if I do I hope it looks OK. It's not essential is it?
Germans are tall too. Just know what is traditional "trachten" by planning ahead. It's pretty required, yes. Bet about 95% or more will be in it, and it won't be cheap quality. Lederhosen is handcrafted leather, and then stitched, so will be like you buying a nice leather jacket pricewise. If you can get boots, dance shoes, mens dress shoes ahead of time, you'll at least save on that part. As far as sizing goes, if suits come in your size, then so will traditional clothing, but you'll be buying from long standing companies doing it for 100yrs or more, not crap from turkey at train stations.

You can rewear this stuff for fun festivals at home, as well as some random german-american social events in future :) Germans are the highest ancestry in the US, fyi. The ones in West Palm, Miami, Cape Coral have thousands upon thousands of attendees.
>>
>>1090858
Just keep in mind that you can expect to pay around 400-700 euro for a good set of Tracht, OP. Also definitely do book ahead because last minute youre gonna pay hundreds of euro literally for a place on the floor to sleep on.
>>
Any tips on deciding what hostel to book for this? Also, any recomended time/week to go?

Not OP but in going to be in europe for about 3 months, and so far oktoberfest is the only activity/place that i have where i must be in a certain place at a certain time - everything else will be very openly scheduled and flexible. I was thinking september would be best, but im absolutely not opposed to going in october either.

Also, how long would one recomend going for? Realistically i feel like 3 days or so would do, theres only so much beer drinking you can do before it gets old, not to mention costly. Would i be missing out? Is 3 days considered overkill?

One more thing as far as those traditional german outfits go - is it seriously recomended to buy in advance and lug that shit around in my backpack for the rest of my trip? I think itd be a blast to rock that for the festival, but i really cant justify spending like half a grand on something ill wear once in a blue moon. Where would i even go to buy this stuff - any recomended online vendors? Could i simply wait til im in germany?

Sorry if my post is a bit redundant, and thanks in advance for all the help!
>>
>>1090872
>Any tips on deciding what hostel to book for this?
Book in advance. You don't need to be very close to Theresienwiese (where oktoberfest is located) since the metro is pretty good so you can safe money
>Also, any recomended time/week to go?
almost impossible to get into tents without a reservation (difficult to get/expensive) on the weekends. I'd recommend going from Thursday-Saturday, easy to get into tents/drinking the first 2 days, walking around/enjoying the atmosphere on saturday without standing in front of the tents at 7 in the morning. I would recommend the first or second week.
>One more thing as far as those traditional german outfits go - is it seriously recomended to buy in advance and lug that shit around in my backpack for the rest of my trip? I think itd be a blast to rock that for the festival, but i really cant justify spending like half a grand on something ill wear once in a blue moon. Where would i even go to buy this stuff - any recomended online vendors? Could i simply wait til im in germany?
You don't need it anyway. I don't get why every tourist thinks he has to spend 400€ on some outfit he will wear once in his life. I lived in Munich for 3 years before buying my first pair of lederhosen. You can totally go in jeans and tshirt if you want, many locals do that.
>Where would i even go to buy this stuff - any recomended online vendors? Could i simply wait til im in germany?
Yes, if you want that stuff wait until you are in munich. Just don't buy some cheap ripoffs from people on the streets. Angermaier is a decent shop for that, you can get a complete set that looks decent and doens't scream tourist right away for 200€ (shoes and socks etc included)
Expect everything on the oktoberfestto be a ripoff, 10 € for a liter of beer, 15 € for a meal etc.
Personally I wouldn't go to the oktoberfest if I didn't live here but my american friends loved it.
>>
OP here. Thanks everybody. Lots of good information here.

Seems like it's going to be more expensive than I anticipated.

Is it expensive because it's good or is it very much because it's because they know people will pay anything?
>>
>>1091142
supply and demand
>>
>>1090872
>One more thing as far as those traditional german outfits go - is it seriously recomended to buy in advance and lug that shit around in my backpack for the rest of my trip?

The Oktoberfest website has some Trachten and it is not top of the line but it's better than the 50-200 Euro kits you'll see all the Chinese, Indians, and other tourists wearing: http://shop.oktoberfest.de/en/Tracht-for-Men/

Alpenwelt has some great stuff too, but they are Austrian.

Have them ship to
>>
>I hate you

Me and the majority of Germans that aren't from Bavaria
>>
>>1091142
>Seems like it's going to be more expensive than I anticipated.
You can save a lot of money by booking hostels early and not buying lederhosen
>Is it expensive because it's good or is it very much because it's because they know people will pay anything?
People will pay anything. There is an outcry here every year when they announce the beer prices for the oktoberfest but honestly they could ask for 20 € a beer and the american and italien tourists would still come.
>>
>>1090872
For the hostel, I stayed at the Wombat which was nice and the closest beerhouse is the Augustiner Kellner which is considered to be a favorite by the local Bavarians. Also book NOW before they're isn't anymore rooms. You may pay more than the usual, but what else do you expect when going during the biggest traditional festival in all of Munich?
>>
>>1091204

aka germans lacking class and culture, sorry hans
>>
>>1090775
What is the best beer in Germany.

If you can pick only one.

Do you like meat?

>>1090827
>dont go in october

Why, you prefer Novemberfest?
>>
Oktoberfest Dates:
2016 Sep 17 – Oct 3
2017 Sep 16 – Oct 3
2018 Sep 22 – Oct 7
>>
>>1090775

German here.
Let me warn you, there are a lot of thieves there, because drunk people are easy targets, it's crowded and expensive. It's pretty comercialized.
Just keep that in mind.
>>
>>1090775

>looks at picture
>first thought is her handjobs must be amazing
>then realize she would rip it off
>>
>>1092686
Yeah, but she could do it to twelve dicks at once.
>>
>>1092360
Oktoberfest starts in September

>>1092675
Yep

It's a dumb tourist drinking festival, there are way better things to do in Germany in that time. Lots of smaller similar events in other cities around that time or a bit later as the harvests come in and the new wine is available, look into those instead unless you're really eager to high 5 Aussie dudebros in fake Lederhosen.
>>
Best tip: Avoid the weekend at all costs and go during the week. Weekend is overcrowded and a hellhole.

also: book your hostel way in advance and still expect to pay way more than usual.

Beer will cost around 11 Euro per liter / glas.

Have fun passing out, puking, getting lost and spending shitloads of money.

That being said, its good to be there once in a while :)

Greetings from Munich.
>>
Thanks everybody. Just got to hope my friends can all make it. I think the main thing to know is:

Expensive
Mind your pockets
Expensive
Vomit
Very fucking expensive
Worth it
>>
>>1090775
>What kind of things do I need to know regarding etiquette, money, things to do/not do?
The Germany you might envision in your head is dead and cucked. Everything goes. Rapefugees welcome.
FICKI FICKI!
>>
>>1092822
>Worth it

Not sure how that got onto your list
>>
Most hostels are booked now. I know this because I tried booking some.
>>
Im going to germany by train next week alone will i be rip ? First time i travel
>>
>>1092849
Try the Ibis in München Riem/Messestadt West or the other 4 hotels that are out there. You can usually get the night for 29-50€. They're a bit outside (15min train ride from Munich Mainstation) but pretty good.

>>1092866
Why would you? It's germany. Unless you fuck up in the dimension of a metric ton you will have a great time.
>>
>>1092332
>implying Bavarians have class
superstitious cow fuckers for all of their history but the last 40 years. Imagine if illiterate Bolivian shepherds suddenly became associated with 'class and culture', only it all happened in Germany, and that's Bavaria.

I find Oktoberfest very tacky and commercialized. Although, I do like beer, pork and bitches in shirts that push their titties up, I hate hate hate the schlager, crowds and rip-off prices. My main piece of advice is avoid the Italian Days.
>>
>>1092889
>butthurt East German detected
>>
>>1092962
NRW, actually. I've been to Bavaria plenty, and Oktoberfest twice. Bavarians can be quite uptight and weird, but I've still generally enjoyed myself there. It doesn't change anything I say. Oktoberfest is still shit.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.