[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 329
Thread images: 26

File: FH000015 (4).jpg (402KB, 1000x670px) Image search: [Google]
FH000015 (4).jpg
402KB, 1000x670px
New Japan General:

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your wee fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/

*Note about the JR Rail Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1080017
>>
>>1083971
To the guy asking about tickets
>>
>>1083800
Pls respond
>>
File: much disdain.jpg (17KB, 253x257px) Image search: [Google]
much disdain.jpg
17KB, 253x257px
>>1083976
>>
>>1083976
No idea, but I'd probably just stick to the guides, as those places are in the English guides for a reason. You're a dude on vacation who can't speak Japanese presumably. You should take what you can get.
>>
How early should I book my airbnb if I'm gonna be staying in may? (gonna need 2 airbnbs, possibly 3)

>>1083970
I live in Colorado
>>
>>1084095
That's weird one of the possible flights transfers in Colorado and heads to Tokyo and that flight is 1400-1500 right now, also the listed prices on airbnb say it's offered for 100 a night and it's for two people, do the two people pay 100 each or all together it's 100 never used it tho I'm going to
>>
File: wallhaven-286502.jpg (593KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
wallhaven-286502.jpg
593KB, 1920x1440px
First time on /trv/

I'm going to Tokyo for two weeks in May this year and I had a few questions;

How easy is it to get laid?
>I'm 6'2", white, have thick brown hair and blue eyes.

Is the food any similar to americanized Japanese food?

Money isn't a huge issue, so what would be a nice "name brand" hotel to stay at?

What should I be wary of?
>>
>>1084110
Plenty of Japanese food as Americans know it exists in Japan except for some types of sushi. Biggest difference is they are usually separated like just tempura restaurant, just teriyaki restaurant, just sushi restaurant etc.

If money isn't an issue stay at nice private ryokans with private baths.
>>
Hey everyone, also first time on /trv/

I'm planning a honeymoon to Japan, and travel agencies have given me quotes at $8.5k~ and $11k~.
I tried planning out their itineraries on my own and searching for my own flight tickets, transportation, and I feel like I can definitely plan this trip on my own for at least a third of the cost.

Here's where I'm stuck - planning these things and trying to figure out transportation seems like it would be an absolute nightmare. If I get completely lost, are locals kind enough to help someone who doesn't speak their language? Some of these locations I wanted to go to, like Hakone, it seems like you can't just take the train, you need to take a bus (Is this a pain to do, or is it easier than it sounds?)

Another thing I'm stuck on is that we'd pretty much exclusively be walking around these locations and just doing things on our own - whereas a travel agency can help set up things for you to do while you're there. The agency sets things up to be a little more, I don't know, romantic? Whereas I feel like if I do this myself it's tough to find things, getting into "group" guides will make it feel less personal for a honeymoon.

Current plan is something along the lines of:
Start in Tokyo (3-4 days) -> Hakone (1-2 days) -> Kyoto (2-3 days) -> Takayama, Shirakawago, and Kanazawa (2-3 days) -> Back to Tokyo for a day

Seriously any advice you guys can give is greatly appreciated, I'd trust you guys over random google searches and yahoo answers any day
>>
I was thinking of doing a work exchange in japan for a month or so, anyone done the same ? Id like to be on a farm somewhere beautiful. Hardw ork doesnt bother me
>>
>>1084123
All I can say is public transportation in Japan is very punctual so if you look up any directions ahead of time they are very reliable when you get there. Google maps works with most train systems in Japan but not buses. Google your trips ahead of time and screenshot the results because wifi.
>>
If I've already been to Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Hakone, Hokkaido and Okinawa, where should I go next with my gf?

Should I go see cherry blossoms? What place is the best?

Should I go to Fukuoka or Hiroshima?
>>
Needing a bit of advice.
Fiancé and I are planning a trip to Japan for November.

When is to early to buy a ticket to make it official? Right now the company we plan to fly with have tickets for pretty cheap ($920 for 2 people one way so around $1,840 for round) which is the lowest I have seen it for 2 people. We went to a few flight agencies as well to get advice and quotes and they were all almost $3,000 for two people.

When is it still to early to make a commitment on a trip that is still a while off or just go for it? Asking in the Japan general since where we plan to go.
>>
>>1084133
$920 one way for two people is a fantastic price get that shit booked now.
>>
>>1084129
Nara, Nikko, Nagasaki, Kobe, Hiroshima, Kamakura, Kanazawa
>>
With a $3000 dollar budget for spending in Japan how long would I be able to stay comfortably? I don't plan on doing crazy things or eating anywhere too fancy. This budget includes living expenses, food, and touring, and transportation.
>>
File: 1290388739659.jpg (105KB, 825x619px) Image search: [Google]
1290388739659.jpg
105KB, 825x619px
What are the recommended nightclubs to go to in Shibuya and Roppongi?
>>
>>1084149
I'd say about 3 months.
>>
>>1084188
>I'd say about 3 months.
LOLWUT.jpg. $3000 for 3 months? That's not even $33 a day. There's no way you can do anything fun in Japan for $33 a day if this has to include places to stay, food, all transportation, touring, etc. $33 a day will get you only the shittiest of accommodations and 2 conbini meals -- at best.

>>1084149
>With a $3000 dollar budget for spending in Japan how long would I be able to stay comfortably?

You're realistically looking at about a month if you want to be comfortable. I'd estimate $40/day for a place to stay, $20/day for decent food, and $10/day for getting around. That leaves you about $30/day for everything else -- not really all that much if you're planning to take train trips to other cities, go out at night, pay admission fees to tourist sites, etc.
>>
>>1084197
Ah, I didn't interpret "living expenses" as accomodation. My bad.
>>
I asked a Japanese friends for good restaurants in Tokyo, and he recommended to check out Kagurazaka. However, Google tells me that area is famous for fancy kaiseki restaurants, and I don't really feel like blowing >10000 yen on a meal. Has anyone been around there and knows if there are more affordable alternatives?
>>
>>1084129
haven't been to Hiroshima, but I loved Fukuoka
>>
>>1084197
I don't know about that length of time. It seems as though I would be safe with that budget for two-three weeks, correct? I have yet to do intense research on accomodations so I am not sure of what type of place I would lie to stay at.
>>
So I was hoping to teach English in South Korea next spring but I recently got a dui and after a bit of research it looks like I'm about 99% fucked out of that dream. What about Japan though?

It was a misdemeanor DUI by the way
>>
>>1084297
Oh and the program I was going into in Korea didn't require a 4 year degree, is there anything like that in Japan?
>>
File: 672.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
672.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
>>1084129
I enjoyed Hiroshima. While it's atom bomb this, atom bomb that everywhere, it really doesn't hurt to explore that part of history at least once I think.
Aside from the peace museum, eternal flame, etc, I also liked the Shukkeien garden and the castle - few tourists ventured there, so it's nice and quiet.
I'd also recommend eating Hiroshimayaki... there's a cool restaurant above the Yellow Submarine hobby store (at the end of Hondori), plastered with Hiroshima Carp autographs, where it was tasty.
Miyajima is also close and definitely worth a day trip (There's a combo ticket for trams + ferry available.). Apart from all the temples and shrines below, climbing Mt. Misen is also an experience - awesome view from up there.
>>
>>1084298
Every single full time working visa except marriage, investor, and entertainer visa requires 10 years of experience or a 4 year degree
>>
>>1084332
This is the email they sent out. A family member in Korea said she knows people that have done it and it's legit

- The semester begins from the 1st March.

- Qualification : Your college transcript and CRC, we no need your BA degree. Best is that you are already in Korea with D-10 visa or some other visa status... We get you an E-2 visa.

- Pay : 1,500,000 won with apartment, transportation fees

- Working hours : Depends on school, you no need to go to school from morning if you have only afterschool program teaching(could be everyday or 2~3 days a week), You may have curriculum hours (6 classes plus 9 afterschool hours a week)

- Teaching hours : 15 classes (each class consists 40 minutes only)

- School locations : rural area of Jeju Island, elementary schools only
>>
>>1084341
I was talking about Japan. I don't know about Korea
>>
>>1084343
Oh shit sorry, I've been cross posting about different countries. Thanks though
>>
>>1084343
Do you know if the dui affects me too much?
>>
Gas is cheap
Flights are basically half off
Buy tix niggas
>>
>>1084297
>>1084347
Japan is basically going to be no different man. A criminal record is the kiss of death. Japan and Korea are both very peaceful homogeneous societies with very low crime. They're not going to give a visa to a foreigner with a record. I think you are SOL.

There are no ESL options in Japan that do not require a degree anyway.
>>
For food: tabelog.com/en/
>>
is there any kind of website that can tell me the price of train tickets? like, if I want to go to shibuya from narita? thanks
>>
Has anyone had natto in Japan? The only food I want to try that's japanese and its Natto. I bet it tastes disgusting but the japanese seem to love it. Want to try it and see what the hell it tastes like.
>>
>>1084396

natto is seriously the best. desu shitty konbini natto tastes amazing.
>>
>>1084396
Not all Japanese love it either, it's stereotypically an easterner thing. I'm pretty sure you can find perfectly good natto at an an Asian supermarket without traveling if you're in America. Then again I hate natto myself so I wouldn't know if a natto eater would consider the stuff stateside up to par.
>>
>>1084394
google maps
>>
>>1084241
>It seems as though I would be safe with that budget for two-three weeks, correct?

Yes, correct. A US$3,000 budget for 2 or 3 weeks (especially if airfare isn't included) will allow you to see Japan quite comfortably. You'd be able to stay in business hotels, eat decent food, get around the city, take train trips, go shopping, pay entrance fees, etc. You'll have a fine time and won't need to worry about money, although you won't be able to do anything really fancy or extravagant.
>>
>>1084341
>15 classes (each class consists 40 minutes only)
>12 hour days
What the fuck korea
>>
I am moving to nagano to live in the mountains for a bit. Any have a similar experience? How was the winter?
>>
Should I buy a Sim data card at the airport when I arrive? What's the cheapest one? I'll be in Tokyo the whole time.
>>
File: Runes.png (38KB, 112x183px) Image search: [Google]
Runes.png
38KB, 112x183px
Hey JP General, I'll be teaching english over there soon and they offered me two locations.

First is Konan city in southern Shikoku, and the other is Akitakata just outside Hiroshima.

Pros/Cons and what you'd say the best location is? I quite like the rural look of Shikoku, but I've been told its the boonies and it might be better to be closer to a major hub.

Thanks!
>>
>>1084149
Dude i am in osaka since yesterday. Its hard to say exactly how long the noney will. Last, but its not bad at all.

There is discount stuff everywhere. Like train combos and sight seeing tickets.

Food can be really cheep aswell. Mc donalds is cheaper than anywhere else ive been in asia. Like 2.5 euros for a breakfast.

Acco is tricky. Was in a 8 dollar hellwhole today and tomorrow. Would stay there if it werent for no privacy showers. But there are options check airbnb b stuff. Mix nicer rooms with bad ones.

Tokyo seems pretty expensive though but dont worry too much. Get a one way air fare and see how long you last.
>>
>>1084394
Hyperdia
>>
>>1084426
If you really want off the beaten path than choose shikoku
>>
>>1084426
I'm sorry but What do I need to teach english in japan?
>>
>>1084440
A bachelor's degree.
>>
>>1084441
In what? Does it have to be secondary ed/English?

What if I'm a secondary ed/math major?
>>
>>1084444
Just a bachelors degree and native english speaker they don't actually care much about what your degree is. They just care that you have that level of education and dedication to getting it. Also Japan is all about certifications and a degree from an English-speaking university is the best they can do to make sure someone is "English-certified"
>>
>>1084396
I've had natto in japan. You can get it a variety of restaurants. The best one I had was at a mom and pop breakfast place that made it's own natto. The beans were larger than average and a hell of a lot more stickier than I was used to.

They gave me the option of putting okra or tororo (mountain yam) on it. Made it even more stickier.
>>
>>1084424
bump please respond
>>
If I have the JR Rail Pass do I need to book reservation tickets on available shinkansen on top of the pass or does it cover everything?
>>
>>1084424
>>1084476
I'm gonna get a mobile wifi thing once I arrive. It'll be like 80 bucks for the 2 weeks I'm there but it's apparently very worth it.
>>
>>1084403
Not a lot of difference as far as I can tell between the frozen natto at my local Asian market (after thawing it) and the natto with breakfast at a beef bowl place in Japan.
>>
>>1084479
Where do you get that? at the airport?
>>
>>1084484
http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html
You pick it up at the airport I'm pretty sure
>>
>>1084486
eh...ill just be there for a week...any less expensive alternatives? Wouldn't a prepaid data sim card be more ideal ?
>>
>>1084488
A lot of AirBnBs in Japan seem to offer free pocket wifis along with your accommodations. If you haven't booked anything yet maybe check some of those out?
>>
>>1084493
haha i already booked 2 airbnbs and neither of them come with that...oh well, ill just get the pocket wifi.
>>
>>1084478
In general, usually not. Practically speaking, no. There are a few lines (Narita to Tokyo and Tokyo to Aomori come to mind) where you have to get reserved seats but you can get those right before you board. You might have to wait a train or two if you're in a peak season. It doesn't cost any extra to make reservations though.
>>
>>1084110
>How easy is it to get laid?
it's as easy as paying for it, prostitution is semi legal (do some homework)

>Is the food any similar to americanized Japanese food?
pretty much but the culture there is to have specialized places; places that only serve ramen, places that only serve yakitori etc. so the product ends up being better than what we can get at home from a japanese restaurant that serves 20 different dishes. Japanese people aren't genetically disposed to expertly making their comfort food.

>Money isn't a huge issue, so what would be a nice "name brand" hotel to stay at?
There's all the big name hotel chains you're familiar with, don't worry about it and just get whatever is in your price range

>What should I be wary of?
Nigerians in Roppongi. The second the sun goes down they're on every corner hassling every non asian they see trying to get them into their shitty bars. There is a legitimate concern that you may at the least be horrendously overcharged or at the worst be literally drugged and have your credit card maxed. if you want to meet a Japanese girl that has a fetish for Americans then roppongi is your best bet, but just don't go into any bar that a black person recommended.
>>
File: 20160225_145600.jpg (4MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160225_145600.jpg
4MB, 3264x1836px
Benefitted from a bit of climate change in Yoyogi today. Figured I'd post this pic here just in case people start asking about cherry blossom season.
>>
>>1084547
nooo, pls don't be real
im traveling 1. may and i still had hopes till now
>>
>>1084553
Unfortunately it is, yeah. I was really surprised myself and had to ask my Japanese host when I got back if these really were cherry blossom trees. I guess it's been unseasonably warm this year.
>>
>>1084547
how long will they stay in bloom?
>>
I want to go to Japan with a friend later this year, for three months.

What's the cheapest kind of Hotel/Hostel/anything that we could book?
>>
>>1084559
capsule
>>
>>1084127
http://www.wwoof.net/
>>
>>1083951
I want to walk/bike besides endless rows of paddies out in the country, but where would I stay?

I can't imagine random villages having a hostel/hotel. I'm not a seasoned traveler.
>>
would it be overkill to spend a week in kyoto? i only have about a week off work and i like spending a long time in one place. i've done weeklong stays in other cities, but i'm wondering if a week in kyoto is too much in anons' opinion?
>>
>>1084553
>>1084547
I don't get it, what's wrong witht hem? Or are you sad they're blooming early or something
>>
Right now I'm in the Edmonton international airport waiting on a connecting flight to Vancouver and then on to Japan. I'm extremely excited. I'm also really nervous and uncomfortable. How do I deal with all this stress?
>>
>>1084561
If he's going with a friend then not really. Just a regular, cheap hotel would be better. AirBNB might also be good, if you're there 3 months then a BNB with a kitchen and pocket wifi could help you save more.
>>
>>1084559
there's longer accommodation if you're staying in the same place (stuff like Sakura House etc.). Hostels also sometimes have long term rates. If you're travelling, hostels or Airbnb is recommended
>>1084622
a bit maybe, bit if you add side trips it should be fine
>>1084588
even outside of Tokyo you can find rice fields if you take the train towards Narita, it's not like you have to go into total Inaka or anything
>>1084636
wank one off m8
>>
File: 313.jpg (68KB, 580x520px) Image search: [Google]
313.jpg
68KB, 580x520px
>>1084558
Not long unfortunately. That's part of why the Japanese love them because their beauty is poetically fleeting. I was worried because the cherry blossom trees in California just came and went

This sucks my trip is end of March-early April but they'll all be gone. At least we'll still get Sakura flavored pepsi?
>>
>>1084636
Just look through blogs or something else to get hype about all the places you're going to go. I had the same feeling on my first trip of "Oh god wtf am I doing" but everyone in Japan is super helpful and understanding and there's no place quite like it.
>>
>>1084455
i have a few questions if you have time.

1. is the hiring season right now?
2. where is the best area to walk around and look for a place that needs a teacher?
3. how long does it take to get a work visa while in japan?
4. what documents do i have to have to get a work visa in japan?
5. is it possible to start working while my visa is being processed?

im thinking if flying there and looking for work and im not particular about the location. does anyone have experience doing this? i would like to be hired and paid within a month.

i have a bachelors degree and 3 years teaching esl overseas experience.

i really appreciate any answers.
>>
>dollar is at 112 and dropping
Will this affect my trip in any way?
>>
>>1084666
Go through a program like JET that will actually take care of visa paperwork and give you housing.
>>
>>1084674
i would do that but i really dont have time. ill probably have to suck for a while but it will be easier if i get this information. jet takes about 8 months to apply, im reallt looking to start working asap
>>
>>1084674
i would do that but i really dont have time. ill probably have to suck for a while but it will be easier if i get this information. jet takes about 8 months to apply, im reallt looking to start working asap
>>
>>1084666
If you already have three years' experience you should know the recruitment channels already. How did you get your first job?
>>
>>1084547
FUCK YES. I am coming next week and was mad I wouldn't get to see them yeeesssssss
>>
Doing Japan alone.

I- 'm kind of outgoing while travelling/I can have fun nights with random people.
- I don't speak a word of Japanese
- How can I not be too lonely? I like spending my days doing whatever I want (preferrably with like-minded company).

Any advice for me? I'll be there there ealy May and was thinking of checking out Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara. Would be staying in hostels (no idea which ones are the good ones though)
>>
>>1084703
You should start learning basics of japanese before you go. Japanese people you meet will be more likely to help you/spend time with you if you show that you care about their culture.

If you're staying in hostel, you'll probably hang out with the other people staying there, they may or may not be japanese, but will probably be similar to you as long as you aren't a megaweeb.
>>
>>1084712
yeah basics of spoken japanese could work. Written not so much tho.

Not a weeb at all. I like japanese shoegaze music tho.
Guess I should check out Roppongi for going out, as I've read that it's one of the most foreign-friendly neighbourhoods at night?
>>
>>1084713
yeah it is, but beware of prostitutes and bathhouses etc. If random people come up to you and ask you to do stuff, just say no. especially the nigerians.

other than that roppongi is very upscale and nice. I just consider it the nightclub district.
>>
>>1084672
if you're from the US your money will be worth less? like what else should it affect?
>>
>>1084535
>paying to get laid

Should I expect a STDs then? I would suspect prostitutes to be riddled with them.
>>
>>1084693
i know about the process. i dont know about searching for a job in japan on the ground. im looking for answers to the questions i asked here....

>>1084666
if anyone has the answers i would appreciate it
>>
>>1084731
>i dont know about searching for a job in japan on the ground.
You do that once you have found a job in Japan and want a new one. It is illegal otherwise.
>>
>>1084547
This is a certain tree in Yoyogi Park and it was blooming a couple weeks ago as well. Yoyogi's sakura trees are generally white and they will bloom at the normal time.

>>1084703
Just stay at a hostel. You'll meet people that way.

>>1084727
You "pay to get laid" no matter what. Say you hook up by meeting a girl at a club. You paid for your "going out to get laid" outfit. You paid cover for the club, you paid for drinks, you pay for the hotel room. Then you get to have sex. I'm not a whoremonger myself, but not because I perceive it as "paying to get laid." Don't be dense man, sex is never free.

If you're worried about STDs, wear a condom. Duh. HIV/AIDs is almost non existent in Japan, that is true. However, many Japanese are also convinced that only foreigners have STDs and they almost don't exist in Japan as well. Obviously quite false.
>>
What would be the best way to learn some Japanese before leaving for my trip. I don't want to pull any weeaboo, "I know how to be Japanese." Shit. I would just like to not be 100% clueless.
>>
>>1084758
>has never fucked a girl for free
sad man.
It's definitely doable, man. maybe if you factor in some trivial cost like "the $1 bag of popcorn I put in the microwave when she came over", but chicks will fuck for free.
>>
>>1084806
Seriously, don't worry about it. Know "arigatogozaimasu" and you're good. Trying to learn more than that for a trip is just not going to be worth the effort for most people. Say you learn stuff like "what is this?" for restaurants or "where is this?" for directions, Japanese people are then just going to try to speak to you in Japanese you're not going to understand and you'll get nowhere. Japanese all study English for several years in school. Their English is better than your Japanese and they will produce something if forced.

>>1084816
I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but regardless, if you can't see the world like this then are kind of dense. There really are factors involved in that girl who comes over to your place's attraction to you. Generally speaking what you invest in yourself to make girls want to come over requires, money, time, consideration, etc. Not just sex. Nothing is free. You learn more about this as you get older.
>>
>>1084559

airbnb or couchsurf if youre social and comfortable with strangers
>>
>>1084749
>It is illegal otherwise.
are you sure its illegal to interview for a job while on a tourist visa? i know people that have done this and its supposed to be easier that way. im not talking about working on a tourist visa.
>>
>>1084819
>Discouraging someone from learning some basic phrases

Typically when you learn basic questions, you also learn some typical responses as well. Every single word of Japanese you know makes Japanese people more comfortable with you, even if you suck. If you know nothing you're going to be stuck exclusively going to tourist sites, hanging out with other foreigners and occasionally the English leech.
>>
>>1084828
I think its a grey area. I was interviewed on my tourist's visa, but I was told if you tell customs you're coming to the country to look for work they have grounds to deny you entry.
>>
>>1084713
At the very least you should learn hiragana and katakana for reading signs It's very simple you can have it masteerd in a week with free stuff online
>>
>>1084841
Itd be best to start with katakana since most of those words are English
>>
I'm traveling to Japan for the first time ever. I'm pretty nervous but it's also quite exciting. I've never been abroad really, outside of Canada and Mexico.

I was wondering about getting cash. I saw a video saying that Japan is still largely cash based and a lot of places don't take credit cards. Do you usually exchange American currency for Yen at the airport? Or should I do it before I leave? How would I get the best exchange rates?
>>
>>1084854
Take a large amount out and then use post office/7-11 ATMs
>>
>>1084854
Never exchange money at airports if you can help it, it's always the worst exchange rate. Instead, most American debit cards work in Japanese post offices (Japanese post offices are also banks, its complicated) or 7-11s (Japanese 7-11s are also banks, it's complicated). If you're going to be in Tokyo, there's a good chance that you'll be able to find places that will accept credit cards, but do not assume this is the case all the time, especially if you want to use it for small purchases away from places that deal with a lot of tourists.
>>
>>1084841
Knowing hiragana is useless unless you know Japanese. There's no point to sounding out Japanese words if you don't know what those words mean. Katakana is almost always for English words, so it's a much better use of your time to learn katakana.
>>
>>1084828
I think it might be one of those things that's technically illegal, but you'll never be punished for it and everyone does it.

Interviewing for a job in person in Japan is always preferable to trying to get the job from abroad.
>>
>>1084866
People are really protective of schools though. Gates are locked during the day. They wouldn't be happy around a random gaijin showing up asking for a job.
>>
>>1084856
>>1084864
Thanks guys. I guess I'll keep an eye out for any post offices or 7-11s. Good to know. And yeah, I'm going to be in Tokyo.
>>
>>1084831
>If you know nothing you're going to be stuck exclusively going to tourist sites, hanging out with other foreigners and occasionally the English leech.

Pffft, and bumbling through a few basic phrases you learned for your vacation is supposed to give you some great access to Japan beyond most of the normal shit that tourists do and see? Get real.
>>
>>1084878
Most Japanese are not very outgoing, stumbling through a few phrases very much does a lot to break the ice and make more people comfortable with talking to you.

Yes they're going to have to be better than most people in the country at speaking English, but theres quite a few people with no confidence in their English that would rather just remove themselves from the situation if you're not willing to make any attempt to show that you're trying and that they should try too.
>>
>>1084378
>Flights are basically half off
????
>>
>>1084219
Anyone?
>>
>>1084219
Check yelp.

Gindaco is a chain for takoyaki.
Karasushi is typical cheap chain for sushi.

I'll be in Tokyo March 4 to march 11 if anyone wants to meet up. Hanging and staying with locals.
>>
>>1085069
Thanks, but I was specifically asking about the Kagurazaka area.
>>
>>1085081
And he gave you two cheap options you silly goose
>>
File: 1429137747819.jpg (56KB, 450x348px) Image search: [Google]
1429137747819.jpg
56KB, 450x348px
What is the most sketchy seedy ill-advised place or places in japan that would be interesting to visit?
>>
>>1085085
Roppongi at night
>>
>>1085087
why?
>>
>>1085085
Industrial port district in nagoya
>>
File: 1364957487094.png (217KB, 380x640px) Image search: [Google]
1364957487094.png
217KB, 380x640px
Shikoku or Hiroshima's suburbs for a place to live for an extended period of time?

I like outdoorsy things
>>
How much is the average ryokan per night in Kyoto/Osaka? Do they come with meals? Trying to decide whether to spend my money at a ryokan or to spend a night at an onsen in Hakone
>>
How do I join the yakuza? I want to become a bouncer guy at a hostess club getting BJs every break
>>
>>1085088
seconding this
>>
File: random-shot-of-hosts-2.jpg (68KB, 624x310px) Image search: [Google]
random-shot-of-hosts-2.jpg
68KB, 624x310px
>>1085088
>>1085156
Sleazy bars that will gouge you out the ass for everything and Nigerians who drug your drinks to the point the National Tourism board has a warning about it. Also a lot of this haircut. No one should have to deal with this shit.
>>
>>1085164
First of all none of those guys in your picture venture outside of Kabukicho.

Secondly most of the African guys actually work at normal clubs in Roppongi. Bad shit only happens when you're shitfaced, alone, and don't know where you want to go in Roppongi and usually in that situation you're far more likely to get ripped off by a Korean prostitute. But if you're dumb enough to order drinks at a completely empty establishment or go to a hostess club you're not thinking at all.

The only person I know who actually got drugged was a guy shitfaced and trolling for paid sex, that ended up going to some small little bar with no one but him and in his words "one of the hottest girls i've ever seen"

Roppongi is one of the most fun places in Tokyo and one of the only places with a party atmosphere where you can drink for a reasonable price, you just can't be a complete dumbass and have to use a little bit of common sense.
>>
>>1085127
Be N1 and just find the secret trap door in any pachinko parlor, go down the hatch and talk to the boss. Be sure to stick out your chest and talk tough.

>>1085164
Kind of overstating the problem. Scam bars are more of a Kabukicho thing than a Roppongi thing. Not saying there aren't clip joints in Roppongi but it's true. Most of the time the black guys in Roppongi are just promoting legitimate clubs and bars, (in Kabukicho often they are running scams).

I've noticed that 4chan is always very giddy to talk about the Africans in Tokyo for obvious reasons. I really wouldn't be surprised if the poster who asked about shady places in the first place is a stealth /pol/tard triggering a discussion about the big scary Africans.

>No one should have to deal with this shit.

To anyone reading, take it from a Tokyo resident who is not a /pol/ fatass, Roppongi is NOT dangerous (nor is Kabukicho for that matter). If anyone approaches you about going into a bar, just don't go. Touts, African or otherwise (I have actually been stopped by Japanese guys too) will leave you alone within seconds provided you have given them a firm "no thanks" or simply ignored them. Those who say they were followed persistently most likely are omitting that they stopped and asked a question or showed some hint of interest like a dumb ass, then of course they are going to try harder to get you in. If just ignore them they will not bother you.

You wouldn't get into a taxi a guy directly solicited you for at a terminal, and you wouldn't follow some guy into a bar who solicits you. Use common sense.

I'm not defending scam bar operators, I'm just trying to make sure people who want to experience Tokyo's nightlife aren't scared off. Many of the African owned clubs in Roppongi are fun.
>>
>>1085181
Hey I'll be in Tokyo next weekend, want to show me around roppongi and get some drinks?
>>
>>1085181
>Be N1 and just find the secret trap door in any pachinko parlor, go down the hatch and talk to the boss. Be sure to stick out your chest and talk tough.
Wait a minute. Wasn't this the plot to Pokemon Red and Blue?
>>
File: demonic bus.jpg (750KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
demonic bus.jpg
750KB, 1920x1440px
>>1085099
Here' a picture from a tourist hotspot (Megijima) in the Seto Inland Sea, close to Takamtasu... in the off-season (October).

After going on a tour of Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima, and also Takamatsu, the latter turned out to be one of the most memorable experiences of the trip.
The whole place had a slightly nostalgic, warm and very genuine feeling.

While the bigger towns were exciting, if I wanted to settle down for a while, it would definitely be my first choice out of the places I've visited. Dunno if the rest of Shikoku is similar.

Where would you be sent there, anyway?
>>
>>1085190
Bump for anyone in Tokyo wanting to meet up
>>
Are pickpockets common in larger japanese cities? If not, why? The job should be easier if people aren't used to it. Are the police (or maybe the yakuza) better at preventing it?
>>
>>1085341
because Japanese people aren't scummy like that in general and foreigners would get their ass deported or thrown into Japanese jail (which is not nice), if they got caught

Of course there are some, but if you compare the average Japanese with the average Gypsy, they wouldn't try to steal your stuff
>>
I've been to Japan twice in 09 and '11 and haven't stopped thinking about it since.

I'm seriously considering moving my business (small restaurant) to Japan, Tokyo or Yokohama specifically.

Does anyone have any experience, advice or material to read before I dive into the logistics with my local consulate.
>>
>>1085357
From what I know it's very hard to establish a business with a foreigner's name on all the papers. The successful gaijin usually only got started because they had a Japanese wife or business partner to sign the papers
>>
>>1085126
Please respond
>>
>>1085357
Your shit restaurant won't do any better in Japan. Enjoy being a homeless drug addict in five years.
>>
>>1085426
This is a fundamentally stupid question as ryokan in a major city span the spectrum in price and luxury I have been happy with $30-40 hostel like setting and one time splurged on a $1,000 that made me cry spending that much, but god damn was it worth it. Search online and select the price range that's right for you
>>
>>1085190
>>1085335

Depends. Tell me your age and background and stuff.
>>
>>1085426
ay dont book a ryokan. book a hostel in kyoto then learn the japanese characters for ryokan and how to make a reservation in japanese. then when you get to the city just spend two hiurs walking around backroads and look fir the signs. you can get goid deals this way. if you wamt high class boom online and pay a bit more. most of the ryokans that arent posh, but are still authentic are word of mouth.

there is an awesome hostel in kyoto called ryokan or something too, its reasonably priced and tgere is usually a guy that speaks english there. its not an authentic ryokan though, whatever that means.
>>
File: 20150827_151347.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20150827_151347.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Leaving the US for the first time ever. I'll be in Tokyo for a week. Do I need to register my gun as soon as I land? Or will they honor my CCW permit?
>>
>>1085541
I think they'll honor it if you use the weapon to shoot yourself in the head before you board the plane
>>
>>1085335
>forever alone in Tokyo
>>
I'm very interested in going but I've got a crap-ton of questions.

So I was going to go to Japan with a friend in April but it unfortunetly hasn't panned out. So I'm thinking of going myself

later in the year, unfortunetly I've never traveled outside of my own country. I'd like to spend a 1 week to 1.5 weeks there,

I really want to go to Akihabara and Nakano Broadway (I think I could spend a whole day checking those two paces out, is that

possible?). I think I would like to go to Odaiba to see the Gundam statue and visit Gundam Front Tokoyo, maybe the Rainbow

Bridge would be nice to see as well (night time?). Tokoyo Tower could be nice to see at night as well.

What are some other fun non-otaku things to do (I love my video games and anime)? Tokoyo DisneySea, aquariums, Shrines, boat

rides (himiko boat ride looks cool), gardens/parks, Onesens? I'd like to try and get a wide variety of experinces and I don't

care much for drinking/clubbing.

Also is it possible to take my phone with me? or should I leave it behind and rent one? I really just want an internet

connection for the most part (someone mentioned a wifi dongle earlier in the thread, I really want my facebook and

GPS/maps).Also I'd really like to take some quality photos while I'm there, I'd like to get a Gopro (I really just want

high-quality photos, at least in 1440p quality with HDR if possible and 1080p video recording). Is 10,000 AUD enough for 1-1

1/2 weeks? Or is it way too much money? I really have no idea how to travel outside of Australia (I think I can get a apply

for a passport over the internet). How hard is it to get around major cities if you only speak english and maybe a few

phrases or words in Japanese? Is getting a travel pass for trains vital and the best way to get around? I get lost easily.

I noticed that the Travel Pinned thread has plenty of hotels/air fair search engines listed so I'm probably good for that.
>>
Does anybody have experience with the Seishun 18 ticket with JR?

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/seishun18.html

It seems super good for getting around the countryside for cheap. 5 days of unlimited travel means 5 different shinkansen rides for 12000 yen all up. Pretty solid IMO, but maybe I'm missing something?
>>
>>1085633
you can't ride the Shinkansen with it, only local trains
>>
>>1085633
>>1085635
that said though, I've met people who did rides like Beppu-Kyoto or Tokyo-Hiroshima with it, just using local trains. It's going to be a lot longer of course, but just going with local trains you'll see so much more of the countryside than if you went with the Shinkansen
>>
Is it possible to reserve a Shinkansen seat from abroad? The only thing I found is for JR East, but I need to go to Osaka from Tokyo.
>>
Going from Osaka Itami airport to Osaka Kansai

How easy will it be? Theres a bus that goes between each it seems; is it a fairly simple procedure for a non jap speaker?
>>
>>1083951
My buddies went this summer and said it was the most amazing experience. They just rode the train around the entire island, banging and eating everything in sight. Is this common for American white guys who travel to Japan? And what's the best time to travel?
>>
>>1085661
what do you do with luggage & accomodation? Did they plan out everything beforehand?
>>
File: pensive kissenger.png (70KB, 590x387px) Image search: [Google]
pensive kissenger.png
70KB, 590x387px
>>1085181
>I've noticed that 4chan is always very giddy to talk about the Africans in Tokyo for obvious reasons. I really wouldn't be surprised if the poster who asked about shady places in the first place is a stealth /pol/tard triggering a discussion about the big scary Africans.

that guy here, I was moreso wondering if japan gets seedier than often mentioned Roppongi. The other posters response about the industrial shipping yards was more what what I was after.

Bit disappointing that sketchiest places people often come up with is nothing more than somewhere you are mildly in danger of getting scammed if you are a complete tool. But it is japan so I guess by now any gritty stuff is only going on behind many many closed doors if it really even exists anymore.

I feel you on the /pol/ infiltration though
>>
>>1085760
as a foreigner in east asia you might live next door to the seediest area in the country for 5 years and not even know it.
>>
>>1085760
Theres always happening bars, but they're expensive and you'll need Japanese and/or a Japanese girl. They're a fuck ton of fun though if you go on a good night
>>
>>1085781
You don't need a girl to get into Happening Bars and they are not expensive if you bring a girl. You do need to know some Japanese though.
>>
>>1085802
They're much more laid back on the Japanese requirement if you come with a female or atleast someone that is already a member.
>>
>>1085692
I'm not sure how they managed that desu. I didn't ask.
>>
>>1085181
>>1085175

>boohoo, /pol/ hurt muh feewingz

hello redd*t. :^)
>>
>>1084128
would anyone recommend apps for traveling or can google maps work for the most part
>>
>>1085839
The yahoo train app is much better than google maps for train directions
>>
>>1085611

1 to 1.5 weeks is not very long at all. I've been here a week and I've seen a bunch of stuff but there is still so much left to see. 2 to 3 weeks would be best if you want to make the most of it. You can't definitely stroll around a district for an entire day and not get bored, provided you are a person who is able to entertain themselves in their normal life. You can take your phone with you, but you'll want to get a simcard in Japan provided your phone isn't region locked. There is a sim card vending machine I saw at Narita airport which is kinda cool but I have no experience using it. Wifi dongle is kinda impractical unless you're hauling your laptop everywhere, in which case get off your computer you're in Japan brah.
Gopro is way too high-end for what you want to do. Get one if you're going snowboarding, otherwise pick up a DSLR or a regular digital camera depending on your pricerange.
10K AUD is a lot of money. Food here is about 60% of the price back home and drinks range anywhere between 30-80% Clothes range anywhere from 80-120% depending on where you are. If you're savvy you can avoid paying extra by avoiding the touristy places, but if you're only going for a week and a half it might not be practical. Get your passport ASAP. And go to the post office or you'll probably fuck it up as far as photos are concerned. You can get a Suica card in Japan, it's like a Myki or a Gocard or whatever only you can use it in some vending machines too so it's kinda cool. It's a bit cheaper (you'll save ~5Y on most rides) and it's super convenient. The major trains will say each station in japanese and then repeat it in english so getting around is pretty easy. Most places have english menus/signs have translations and generally help desk service people speak basic english. You'll be fine man, you just gotta get there and make it up from that point. 10 grand is heaps. for 2 weeks 2-3 is plenty unless you want to be the cashed up white guy.
>>
>>1085840
Why? There are literally no problems with Google maps. Just curious how you think Yahoo trains is better.
>>
>>1085843
They all run different algorithms and I consistently get cheaper/shorter trips using navitime or the yahoo app. Plus with the yahoo app you can put in your commuter pass so that it will factor that in when providing the cheapest trip possible. Theres a reason Japanese people don't use google maps for train directions
>>
>>1085853
Most of us aren't going to use the commuter pass though unless we're working/living there.

Is is available in english and for android?
>>
>>1085865
Its in Japanese but there is of course an Android version. I'm also fairly certain the other apps are much better about keeping their schedules up to date, especially for the smaller lines
>>
>>1085841
Where do you get your suica/pasmo? How do you put money on it? Just put cash in a machine or what
>>
>>1085880
The ticket machine that says you can buy a suica or pasmo right on it
>>
>>1085890
But where are those located :-)
>>
File: 1453451416929.jpg (110KB, 1000x876px) Image search: [Google]
1453451416929.jpg
110KB, 1000x876px
hey /trv

im looking to go to japan for 5 days, probably staying in tokyo

what would you consider the top 3 "must do" things in tokyo? With a preference towards nightlife?

Im a college aged male and so is my friend, if that makes a difference

thank you
>>
>>1085894
Every station
>>
>>1085927
Can you speak conversational Japanese?
>>
>>1085936
no, i have zero japanese knowledge beyond moshi moshi
>>
Is ¥10,000 per day for staying in Tokyo and Osaka a feasible amount ( including accommodations but not including intercity transportation)?
>>
>>1085938
Learn the basics before you go. It'll greatly improve your trip.
>>
>>1085950
ok, thanks. i was planning on learning whatever i could before going.

do you know anything with regards to the question i posted?
>>
>>1085946
I think so. It's probably more than what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna pay $35 a night for airbnb and then was planning on spending about 50 bucks a day on food and transport, but I'll also take some money to buy souvenirs and stuff.
>>
>>1085927
Asakusa is a must for day stuff. There's some cheesy tourist stuff but even the Japanese consider it the best shrine district to check out.
>>
Looking for some opinions from people who have been to both Comiket and Tokyo Game Show

I went to Japan last summer and loved it, immediately started saving for a trip back this year, my dilemma is that I'm not sure when I want to go.
Ideally I wanted to go to both summer comiket and TGS, but I won't be able to get that long off work so I have to settle with going to one.

I am very much into anime and doujin music/games, but won't be buying any porn. Is Comiket worth giong to or will I just be standing in long ass lines to buy things that for the most part, will be uploaded anyways. Would it be better to take the cheaper trip in September to go to TGS?
>>
>>1085963
Haven't been to TGS so I can only offer my perspective on Comiket.

>won't be buying any porn
Then consider skipping day 3, it's dominated by porn (although there is porn every day, thank you based Japan).

>long ass lines
In my experience only the commercial booths and the very popular artists get especially long lines. Getting into Comiket has its own long line, though, unless you come later in the day.

>that for the most part, will be uploaded anyways
A lot isn't uploaded, actually. To be fair though a lot of it is from the crappier artists. There's also some physical goods, like some Touhou wood engravings I stumbled upon. Honestly half the fun of Comiket is wandering around and finding things. Most of the goods you can indeed buy later or online, although usually at a markup and with the fun of international shipping.
>>
>>1085963
Tgs all the way. Comiket sucks if you aren't japanese.
>>
>>1085952
Not that guy but:

All you can drink bar
Bikini girl robot fighting
Shibuya nightlife, just walk around and go where looks coll
>>
How feasible is it to camp across Japan? I want to fly into Tokyo and fly out of a city in either the north or south. I'd probably like to see Kyoto and Shirakawa-go too. I don't expect to be able to camp the entire time, and I'd stay in youth hostels and Internet cafés while spending time in the cities, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience traveling the country with a lightweight tent.
>>
>>1085430
Cleared 1.3 million in profit last year with my first 3 locations and had Japanese students and business professionals telling me how well I would do in Japan.

If that is a "shit" restaurant, I can't wait. :)
>>
Would It be possible to spend 4 days in Hiroshima and the surrounding area and have enough things to see and do? I'm into outdoor stuff and it looks like there's a few worthwhile hikes around the area...
>>
>>1086196
Yes, the surrounding islands are awesome.
Very easy to make day trips with the rail system there.

Miyajima is a must and even recommend staying in a little hotel there, don't get to comfy with the deer.
Enjoy the fresh eel too.
>>
>>1086174
what kind of restaurant is it?
>>
With risk of making the most autistic neckbeard weeabo post ever.

How is the expat situation for professionals working with games in Japan?

I'm a professional with some years of experience, both AAA and mobile. I got in touch with a couple of recruiters who set me up with jobs in China and Korea. I'd love to have gone to Korea but they are much to proud to pay foreigners proper salaries, while the Chinese would add a good amount to my current salary level.

Now I know Japan has the history of making good games, but they never struck any mobile success in West (which is why China buys foreigners). I suspect they are even more proud than the Koreans.

Can't say I'm expecting any response to this. But would be quite interesting to see if someone actually had contacts in the business.
>>
>>1086197
Great! Many thanks mate
>>
>>1086211
I know a guy who has done some mapping stuff (can't remember the details) and then worked in the 3D section of some game studio in Japan. Moved away a couple of months ago and now works at Apple though

But it's definitely possible, he didn't even really speak Japanese
>>
How much money would you guys consider sufficient for me to spend about 3 weeks in Japan?
>>
>>1086255
I did around 3000€, including flights and accommodation, but back then the Yen exchange rate was 140+

I was somewhat wasteful however, so I'd say 2500€ would be a good estimate
>>
>>1086259
I see.
May I ask what places did you visit? I mean, did you stay the majority of time at one specific region?
I've actually never traveled before, so I would like to at least visit a couple places, explore a little you know? Maybe spend my time on 3 or 2 of the major cities. Do you think this is a good idea?
Oh and thanks for the reply my friend.
>>
>>1086247
Mapping stuff kind of makes sense, I'm a specialist too but in a different field.

Curious to hear how he found the job though. If he didn't read moonrunes.
>>
>>1086174
Sign me up with a job senpai
>>
File: IMG_1659.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1659.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>1086196

I agree with >>1086197
And I'd add that Hiroshima was one of my favorite cities I visited in Japan (out of around 8). I found it very cozy, relaxed, and easy to navigate. Was hot as fuck when I was there, but what can ya do.
>>
>>1084873
Don't panic if 7-11 ATMs don't work with your card. I had issues but the Post Office ones worked perfectly.
>>
>>1086174
Pls let me work for you friend
>>
File: 1456787511195.jpg (52KB, 580x447px) Image search: [Google]
1456787511195.jpg
52KB, 580x447px
where is this restaurant?
>>
>>1085085
Tsurubashi or Juzo in Osaka.
>>
>>1086363
Fucking druggies. Every god damn Japan thread. Why are people so obsessed with scoring drugs in Japan? Over the counter medications in Japan are generally weaker than their US counterparts and to my knowledge there's no OTC in Japan that is not readily available in more potent form in the states. Looks like you'll have to settle for cock fencing with your airforce buddies to get your jollies. Sorry, broski.

Skeezy ass military faggots. They're such a cancer on /trv/.

Would not have made my response so venomous except for the fact that you invited it by:

1. Being a slimeball
2. Namecalling and making assumptions unprovoked (weeb)
3. Being crassly disrespectful (Nipland)
>>
>>1086363
Lmao are you such a failure that you need to find drugs even when you're on vacation?
>>
>>1086370
>rectally ruined
>>
>>1086372
not a vacation, i'm moving there to live with daddy
>>
File: image.jpg (652KB, 1713x1850px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
652KB, 1713x1850px
Please assist me with my travel plans for 28 days in Japan. Is the amount of time I'm spending in each city sufficient?

Also, would it be a better idea to get a Jr. pass or just the individual tickets between the cities? I figure it will cost me about ¥37,000 To go between the cities, not including the flight to fukouka
>>
>>1086323

Nice, I'm heading there after a stint in kyoto so it should be interesting to see the contrast between the ancient capital and a completely modern city. Thanks for the input!
>>
>>1086521
How do those 1 day stays work?
You drive there in the evening, explore a bit the next day, then leave again in the evening?

I'd rather extend those stays to have more time for relaxed sightseeing and cut back on Osaka or the second stay in Tokyo.
>>
>>1086530
Thanks for your reply

On the one day stays, I would take the train to the location and spend the day and night there. I'm planning on having all The departures in the morning.
I will take your recommendation into consideration, thanks a lot !
>>
>>1086323
>nd easy to navigate
you can thank murica for that
>>
>>1086271
I did Tokyo-Hakone-Kyoto/Nara-Osaka and Ishigaki in 22 days. 9 days was Tokyo, 2 days Hakone, 3 days Kyoto, 2 days Osaka and 5 days Ishigaki

Tokyo would be worth 3 weeks alone, but I think it's better to look around if you're there for the first time!
>>
>>1083951
>tfw want to go to japan but are poor so have to settle for thailand instead

What's the legality on buying a sefuku and girls PE uniform brand new then transporting it back to my home country?
>>
>>1086562
Those are just clothes.
>>
>>1086521
Honestly 4 days in Osaka is a lot, I couldn't find much that I wanted to do there, I liked Kyoto a lot better

Looks like a cool schedule aside from that
>>
>>1086586
Thanks a lot for your input!
>>
File: chinese tourist everywhere.jpg (514KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
chinese tourist everywhere.jpg
514KB, 1920x1440px
>want to see stuff like Sado Island, the Setouchi Triennale, Okayama and other places slightly off the beaten track
>social phobia, no social contacts, no friends to travel with
>depressed, no motivation to get up, organize and do stuff on my own
>stuck with costly travel groups visiting sightseeing spots forever

;_;

How do I find friends who drag me all over Japan?
>>
Shit, I missed this thread and posted a separate one. I'll repeat my question here, I guess.

Do you guys have any favorite hostels or Ryokan in Tokyo and maybe Kyoto? I've been to Japan a few times, but the last time was '09 and I really miss it. I'm thinking of taking advantage of cheap flights and going over there for a week or so.

Also, I might as well ask for any "off the beaten path" Tokyo tips you guys might have. I speak workable conversational Japanese, and I've already done most of the obvious tourist and weeb shit over there. I'm a pretty serious photographer and largely going to take photos, and would love suggestions for cool spots that are within easy distance of Tokyo on normal trains. (i.e. non-Shinkansen)
>>
>>1086521
I'd probably go JR Pass. It'll mean less time on trains and more at destinations, because you can take all but the fastest Shinkansen with it. It also might make sense to take the Shinkansen to Fukuoka instead of flying, it's a 6 hour ride but you don't have to deal with airports and getting to and from them from the city center, so it might actually be a shorter overall trip, and it's less hassle and more comfortable. There's also just something special about taking a long-range Shinkansen trip, and you'll miss out on that experience with your itinerary otherwise.

The one regret I'd have about your plan is missing the north and Hokkaido, which is incredibly beautiful, I'm also curious about what plans you have for 3 days each in Fukuoka and Hiroshima, if you're not meeting friends there or something, I might cut a day off of each and add them to your Kyoto stay, or use them to check out Hokkaido.
>>
>>1086658
>social phobia, no social contacts, no friends to travel with
>depressed, no motivation to get up, organize and do stuff on my own
Man I have all this too but come on, you spend a shit load on the trip and you are in a country that you (probably) fucking love.

I bought a can of strong zero in the morning and just wandered around doing whatever most days. If anything, using a travel group scares me way more because of my anxiety than just doing my own thing.
>>
There was a google maps file for Japan/Tokyo 2015 with all sort of sights to see and dates for events. Anyone got one for 2016?
>>
>>1086675
My fear is that I spend a shitload, only to get demotivated halfway and hole up or at least waste half the day sleeping in my hotel room on my own. I've had that with other vacations.
I need someone to overcome my initial inertia and drag me out.

The travel group I did my first Japan holiday with was actually pretty awesome for me. Had people I could relate to, and I visited a lot of places (like climbing Mt. Misen on Miyajima, or Konpira-san in Kotohira) I wouldn't have. Plus it gave me a reason to get up at 7 am or earlier each day, and traveling was easy and without worry because the organization was great.

If only they offered more diverse tours.
>>
>>1086562
You can find them fine at thrift stores or maybe cosplay recycle stores. If you approach an actual high school and ask you'll probably be arrested as a pervert.
>>
File: image.jpg (980KB, 1741x1868px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
980KB, 1741x1868px
>>1086668
Thank you very much for your input

The Rationel for spending three days in Fukouka was it one of the three days would be half spent traveling there. Similarly with Hiroshima the first day would be spent traveling there and the second would be a day trip to Miyajima

Which jR pass would you advise I get to take me effectively between each of the locations I would like to visit on my plans?

How long would you advise to spend In Hokkaido?

Here is my revised itinerary. Thanks a lot for your help I really appreciate it.
>>
>>1086688
I'm not sure if they've changed the passes or not, but when I last went, the only choice was how long you wanted the pass to last for.

I'd probably get the 21-day normal pass, the green one isn't really worth it.

What time of year are you going, by the way? That affects the Hokkaido situtation a lot. I only spent two days there, in the middle of the winter, and I didn't get to do much, but it was gorgeous and I really want to go again. One thing worth mentioning about Hokkaido, BTW, is that you have to drive to get to the best places, and driving in Japan sucks, so that might affect your plans.
>>
>>1086690
Thanks for your quick response

I'm looking at taking the plane or train ride to Hokkaido if I do go, however it is a 10 hour train ride for ¥25,000 or a $95 flight from Osaka to Sapporo.
I plan on going in July or September
I don't plan on doing any driving. how much time do you think would be necessary to spend in Sapporo and surrounding areas? Four days? I think I would try to find buses to take me to attractions while in hokkado
>>
>>1086695
I mean Kyoto to Sapporo is 25000 yen or 95$ flight
>>
>>1086697
32180 yen I mean (15hrs)
>>
>>1086698
:-)
>>
>>1086695
>how much time do you think would be necessary to spend in Sapporo and surrounding areas? Four days?

Depends on what you're interested in, and what you want to see. You need to be more specific.

>I would try to find buses to take me to attractions

If you're talking about places in/near Sapporo (for example, Otaru) this is doable. Places farther away will take time -- Hokkaido isn't huge, but the geography (and low speed limits) mean it can take a good amount of time to get around by bus.
>>
File: image.jpg (944KB, 2425x1391px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
944KB, 2425x1391px
>>1086713
After consideration, I may not go to Hokkaido for that reason. I definitely am not willing to drive, and the distance to and from is dissuading me from wanting to go.
I did revise my itinerary by taking a day off Fukouka and calculating that it would have me around 10000 yen by using a 14 day JR pass.

Thank you everyone who has helped me, I really appreciate your time!
>>
>>1086663
I stayed Airbnb and had wonderful experiences. You can pay close to nothing per night and have a hostelish experience, or spend a bit more and get a shared apartment or an apartment totally to yourself. Don't know of any "off the beaten path" Tokyo tips; I've only been to Tokyo once, and it was for seven days, so I stuck to the beaten path haha.
>>
>>1086675
Im getting better, but im always fibe on my own, once your out there you will be able. To force yourself to do stuff.

Groups though fuck, they still trigger me. I can be so fucking awkward. Always groups or couples and youre on your own. Joining in is weird and staying alone as well. Fuck that shit plus you cabt do what you want.
>>
Guys i am using the seishun 18 as of right now. Has anyone abused it so far? Seems so easy nobody checks and i can get in and out, do they check the tickets inside the shikansen?

Everything is so nice here though, probably would never do it, just curious.
>>
Does JR pass activate the first time you use it?

I'm planning to just get a 7 day pass to cover the bullet train roundtrip from Tokyo to Osaka, with side trips from Osaka to Kyoto, but I want to make sure if I buy it now, it won't expire before I even get there.

Also should I worry about them running out of seats on the bullet train to Osaka? I've already booked my hotels and everything and I want to make sure I make it to Osaka on time.
>>
>>1086785
It activates from the moment you first activate it at the JR service desk, and lasts for exactly 7 days. As for reserving shinkansen tickets you are able to choose a seat by speaking to JR staff but there are non reserved cars that usually have plenty of free seats. The only place I remember needing to reserve was going to/from narita airport.

If you're worried about it expiring guards will only expect you to flash your pass, mine was never examined, but mileage may vary
>>
>>1086790

So we don't scan a JR pass at the gate like a Suica card?
>>
I currently live in Missouri. Sadly, the Japanese embassy in KCMO closed several years ago.
Will the Japanese consulate-general of Chicago be able to assist me if I have questions about obtaining a Certificate of Eligibilty for an intra-company transferee?
>>
>>1086776
Of course they fucking check inside the shinkansen. But you wouldn't even get that far since they wouldn't let you through at the ticket gate
>>
>>1086776
The shinkansen uses a different gate to the regular lines, they won't even let you through the gate with that ticket.
>>
>>1086785
When I last went, the JR pass was super low tech.

Basically, you go to your local agent back home, and they give you an "Exchange Order," basically a piece of paper that says you paid for a JR pass. Once you get to Japan, you go to a little office (I think it's at Ueno station), give them the Exchange Order, and they give you your JR pass, which is just a fancy piece of cardboard with stuff printed on it, and stamp the start and end dates of your pass in it.

I think I actually know where my old JR pass from '09 is, I'll see if I can find it tomorrow.
>>
Best areas to what is left of the Snow in April in Japan?
>>
>>1086838
>Best areas to what is left of the Snow in April in Japan?
Hokkaido. There will still be a lot of it around, even until May in some areas (Shiretoko, for example).
>>
File: slide__img-06.jpg (644KB, 1000x622px) Image search: [Google]
slide__img-06.jpg
644KB, 1000x622px
Sup /trv/
Been living in Busan (Korea) for about 7 months now, decided I should finally hop over to check out Japan

Planning on heading to AnimeJapan at the end of the month

I'm not actually really into anime all that much, but figure this should be entertaining

was wondering if anyone here has ever been?
any advice you can give?
>>
Anyone ever use the Tokunai pass? Trying to figure out if I should get that instead of a Suica in Tokyo
>>
>>1086858
don't go to animejapan m8
>>
I want to go to Japan so I can shop but I don't want to fill my apartment with crap which I'll inevitably buy. So I'm thinking I'll focus on the food. I hear Mister Donut is great, is there anything else that is a 'must eat' in Japan and something I can bring with me home?
>>
Here's the first part of my list of things to do/see/eat while in Tokyo. MyMaps restricts me to 10 layers, so I'll make another one for the remaining areas that I want to visit, namely Toshima, Taito, Chiyoda and Minato. Of course it is by no means exhaustive. Just thought there might be some ideas worth checking out for some people here. Will post the second part once it's done.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z4ICmjXusM-k.klol2MrwdKEE&usp=sharing
>>
>>1086685
>I spend a shitload, only to get demotivated halfway and hole up or at least waste half the day sleeping in my hotel room on my own

I've done that a few times. I get better with each trip, though

I dunno what to tell you. The advice is all over the internet, the issue is that you're scared to leave the comfort zone

I'm assuming that Japan in a few weeks will be a much bigger deal than being a few hours away from home by plane so I'll get up early etc but I'm sure there will be some days that I waste time on
>>
>>1086790
>It activates from the moment you first activate it at the JR service desk

Woah shit, so you can't just choose the dates it's valid for? That fucks with my whole already-booked trip
>>
>>1086948
arigatou senpai

>>1086680
>>
>>1086973
Well you can choose the dates by activating it on the date you first planned to activate it? It activates when you first use it to hop on a train.
>>
>>1086978
well that anon claims it activates at the service desk

Also does it work until midnight? If I activate it at 11am on Saturday and try it at 2pm the next Saturday, will it still work?
>>
>>1086979
I always thought you can carry it around until you use it the first time. I've never used one so I can't confirm. My bad.
>>
>>1086858
>I'm not actually really into anime all that much, but figure this should be entertaining
Why? Go do something you find interesting.
>>
>>1086981
this is correct. I got mine "certified" at the airport but didn't use it until the next day, which is the date they activated it and the date the time on it started.

Protip, btw, if you're at a busy station at a busy time you can wait till the attendant seems occupied then you can just flash the JR pass without activating it or if it's expired. If you're caught just play baka gaijin.
>>
>>1086972
I think I'll just book another group tour holiday this year - although there are a couple of places that are possibly more interesting to me, a tour of northern Honshu and Hokkaido will still take me to places I haven't seen before...

So far, I've joined a Japanese culture club here, and maybe I'll be able to make some acquaintances there who can either set me up with the right contacts or who'll even take me along in the long run.

Maybe next year, I'll just try out a simple itinerary (like 2 weeks split between two locations) and see if staying at Hostels works out for me. Kind of like exposure therapy I guess.
>>
>>1086976
>>1086948
Tentative second part:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z4ICmjXusM-k.kIbIAAC8fqXE&usp=sharing
>>
What's the difeerence between Book Off, Book Off Plus and Book Off Super Bazaar?
>>
Anyone here have any experience buying property in Japan? I'm moving to Saitama in 2019, so I'm going to Japan a few times a year to scope out properties so I have a home when I move.

Does anyone know the protocol for this? I know foreigners can purchase land, in Japan ,so I was wondering if there was a special bureau I should reach out to.
>>
>>1087061
Size
>>
>>1086363
Just drink alcohol, japanese prisons suck huge ass.
>>
>>1087067
Check gaijinpot
>>
I want to WWOOF for about a year, how much money should I save?
>>
Hey /trv/! I'll be traveling to Tokyo next month (April) from the 10th to the 20th. I've never been outside of America before and I've spent most my life in California (im 22). Its been my dream to go to Tokyo since I was little and I cant wait. I just have a few questions:

1. Have any of you stayed in capsule hotels before? I booked an 8 night stay in First Cabin Akihabara which is supposed to be roomier than most capsule hotels. Would I be better off spending some extra $$ on a legit hotel?
2. Are there any hidden gems you can recommend me in Tokyo or the surrounding area? (I'm really into anime/otaku culture but I'm also very sociable and outgoing.
3. I want to spend a day or two hiking any nearby mountains and exploring the countryside...I heard Mount Iwatakeishiyama is nice?! Any recommendations?
4. I basically just want to explore the otaku hub of Akihabara, go clubbing in Roppongi, check out Shibuya, Shinjuku, and some other smaller districs of Tokyo. Would you guys recommend getting a rail pass for that sort of itinerary?

I guess im just overthinking things and feeling a bit paranoid about traveling to a place I've always dreamed of. I dont want to miss anything but with only 10 days I suppose thats to be expected.

One last thing, lets say I do hook up with a girl in Roppongi...whats standard procedure? Go back to a hotel? Or just rent a love hotel in the area? I'm obviously not gonna spend my entire trip trying to seduce the local girls, but if it happens in Roppongi I would like to know how to go about it once I get the opportunity.
>>
>>1087089
I'm 21 going to tokyo april too. Wanna meet? Lets fug.
>>
>>1087089
1. You might get sick of capsule hotels for that long and might want to try an AirBnB
2. Check out Nakano Boradway it has a lot of cool older stuff. Also thrift stores or 'recycle shops' like Book Off carry a ton of figures and other anime merch for less that oraku stores
3. Can't help you there I've only hiked in Kyoto but I think Mt. Takao is nearby?
4. If you're not leaving Tokyo or day-trip range the JR East is overkill. There's 6 main subway lines in Tokyo and the Tokyo Free Kippu covers all of them for 1600yen a day. Check your trips ahead of time on hyperdia or google maps because you might pay less for the regular tickets

I'm a grill so I really can't help with the last point except some love hotels will turn away foreigners but maybe in Tokyo they don't care.
>>
>>1086850
Thanks!
>>
>>1086979
>Tokyo
>Trains past midnight
Good luck mayn. Walked three hours from Ueno back to my hostel
>>
>>1087142
What are you talking about? Many trains run until 12:40.
>>
>>1087147
Yeah mine was one of the private run rails not JR. Gotta be careful, I sorta blanket assumed they'd run that late and got caught out.
>>
>>1087089
>>1087092
Are you guys also going there that specific week for that one concert? I'd love to have someone to talk to about it
>>
>>1087089
1. They are nice if you miss your last train and need somewhere to stay, but you could go to karaoke instead if you are with friends! Checkout the Homestay website if you want a nicer place for a great price too.
2. There is a lot to do in Tokyo. I suggest you visit Harajuku and maybe explore Ikebukuro as well. Also in Harajuku, check out Yoyogi park and the Meiji Shrine!
3. There are a couple hiking groups on Meetup as well, that aren't in Tokyo really, but they are close enough (only 1-2 hour train ride usually).
4. I use a Pasmo card myself, costs 500 yen initially and you can load it as you go at about any station in Tokyo. If you are just in Tokyo it's nice. A rail pass would cost you about the same if you are just in Tokyo for the most part if i remember right. You can even use it to buy things at certain shops, not just access to the trains.

Just a suggestion, if you want to try and hook-up and get lucky, a lot of people like to see a bill of clean health. STD clinics are usually free to get checked at and it wouldn't be a bad idea because you might get turned down by many. But personally, i wouldn't waste your time trying to get laid in Tokyo or even buying a prostitute. You may as well go to the phillipines for that lol... There's so much more to waste your money on and Japanese women tend to take a long time to really seduce, unless you get lucky and find a slut/prostitute lol.

Welll uhhh good luck i guess, hope that may have helped?
>>
>>1083951
He dude, I'm applying for a visa to work in Japan for a but, but I have absolutely no-one who could be my guarantor. Is there anywhere I could look online (like some couchsurfing website or equivalent) to find someone?
>>
>>1087164
>You can even use it to buy things at certain shops, not just access to the trains.

Also worth noting you can use them at a lot of vending machines in Tokyo and the other big cities.

Honestly I loved the convenience of pasmo/suica so much for train stations and vending machines that I didn't mind if I lost a small amount of money I could have saved with a JR pass
>>
So anyone in the thread done the whole teaching in Japan thing? I've heard things spilt 50/50 between people enjoying it, and others who said they felt mocked because it was just ESL.

I mean you're just an assistant, so I'm not sure why people expect to be treated like a real teacher.
>>
>>1087092

saaaame will be there for study abroad. let's meet up and party
>>
>>1087142
I meant is it valid for the calendar day, or is it valid until the actual time you activiated it a week prior
>>
>>1087218
It's also worth pointing out that the JR Pass doesn't work on the Tokyo Metro, so you'll probably end up with a Pasmo/Suica anyway.

I also usually spend my first few days in Tokyo and don't activate my JR Pass immediately, so I need to pay for the NEX from the airport to town, so I usually get that deal at the airport where you get the NEX ride plus a preloaded Suica.
>>
>>1087262
>>1087159
I'm going for whole month solo.

hit me up with email if u wanna meet [email protected]
>>
How much do you recommend adding to a PASMO if I'm gonna be in japan for 2 weeks? About $30?
>>
>>1087379
I really doubt 30 will be enough, but it doesn't matter much since you can always add more. Just for a reference I added $100 on my first day in Tokyo, then I think 2 weeks later I had to add $30 or something like that for my last week.
>>
File: trump.png (143KB, 243x268px) Image search: [Google]
trump.png
143KB, 243x268px
>mfw turning 20 just in time to get fucking wasted in japan with my mates
what's the nightlife like over in Tokyo? how many people my age am i likely going to come across on a night out?
>>
So, /trv/, I'm on a student exchange program and on August I'm going to Japan to study for a year. But I have no money, it's as simple as that. I only have 1,500 dollars in my bank account.

Luckily, I'll receive a monthly scholarship of 80,000jpy. Dormitory fee is 35,000, so that leaves me with 45,000 (roughly 1,500/day) for personal expenses. I can cook my own meals as long as I buy the ingredients, so I won't need to eat on restaurants everyday. Plus, the dormitory is near the university, I won't need to pay for transportation. Considering all this, is it possible to live on 1,500 a day?

It would be pretty shitty to travel to Japan and not be able to do anything, so I may get a part time job. My japanese isn't great but I do have some language skills (JLPT N4) and a friend of mine told me it's pretty easy to get a part time job there, almost everyone who enroll in this exchange program end up working, even those who don’t know much japanese. He made something around 80,000/month, but I’ll be modest and consider an income of 60,000 (756jpy hourly x 20 hours a week, but this could reach 85,000 if I work 28 hours).

My plan is to work for at least 8 months (not necessarily consecutive) and be free on the other 4. That would give me ~480,000jpy to spend on shopping and travel around the Kanto area. I don’t intend to save all the money before I start spending, I will probably spend an amount of my income each month and save the rest for future trips. I won't buy a lot of expensive stuff, the brazilian government impose a limit of expenditure outside the country, I can’t go on a buying spree and come back home because they would charge me insanely high taxes. I do wanna save money to visit Kyoto and maybe Nagano, though.

So, how doable is this plan? I can use my humble amount of 1,500 dollars in an emergency scenario. And I can also go for a 28hour part time job in order to earn more (that would give me 680k instead of 480) if my budget is too limited.
>>
>>1087435
Forgot to mention...

I won't need to pay tuition and I'll be living in Chiba-shi, so I guess trips to tokyo won't cost me a lot of money. I could just visit tons of parks and shrines and go back to my dorm in the end of the day.
>>
>>1087255
>>1087255

You can see the ESL thread for more general information on this, but feel free to ask me anything as I am currently an ESLfag in Japan (and I did it for a year in Korea). I've been here for two years and the plan is to stay one more year before returning to get a state teaching license and go from there. Either be a teacher in public schools in the States or use the license to get better, actually gainful opportunities in ESL. Who knows.

At any rate, I'll give you as objective and normie a take on things as I can.

>others who said they felt mocked because it was just ESL
By whom? Japanese people? If that's the claim, I'm calling bullshit on it. Japanese people really don't give two shits about ESL teachers one way or another. It's not like they think highly of you or anything, but either they think it's a neat thing that you're here doing it or they have no opinion. ESL teachers are basically only mocked by other foreigners, especially online.
>>
What was that bit about joining the Yakuza?
>>
>>1087442
As long as you're N2 level, they may accept you as a special "foreign associate." This is kind of like a non-Italians in the Mafia, you'll never be a "made man" who makes real money is accepted and respected fully in the organization, but it's a good way to make some extra cash along with private English lessons or whatever.
>>
>>1087443
What sort of things would you do?
>>
>>1084123
If you're in the cities, you can find help. In the countryside, the help is almost only in Japanese.

Trains are easy. Never took a public bus but I wouldn't imagine it too hard after a few times.

Looks like you're going to touristy areas so I wouldn't worry about getting lost and taking time to ask for directions unless you've put yourself into a tight schedule.
>>
>>1084149
I'd burn through that in 2 weeks easy. I'd use a third for transportation, a third to half for lodging and board, and the rest on fun stuff.
>>
>>1087089
1. Capsule hotels are rarely cheaper than shitty-decent hotels. And more expensive than airbnb or hostels.

2. As someone else suggested, you can find some cool shit at Nakano Broadway. Also if you aren't planning on it already: go see an idol show. Preferably one with not shit music. Go up to the front rows and try the dances with everyone.

3. idk

4. Nope

Yeah, love hotel. Unless you have a really nice airbnb setup just stick with the love hotel.
>>
>>1084149
Invest in a rail pass, great way to travel the country without spending too much $ on trains.

That is if you're going to different cities
>>
>>1087587
I'll add to check out the regional rail passes. In some cases one of those might be a better deal.
>>
how much does narita-tokyo cost?
>>
>>1087887
http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetudou/skyliner/e-ticket/en/ticket/91/
>>
I am going to be in Japan for a month. I will be traveling along the south coast for 2 weeks. Is it worth spending any time in Nagoya on my way from Kyoto to Tokyo?
>>
going to be in japan for 3 weeks, trying to suss out whether or not the pocket wifi is worth it or not, anyone have any insight? thanks in advance
>>
>>1087912
If your airbnb or whatever isn't giving you one
I would HIGHLY recommend it. I stayed at 3 different places over 3 weeks, and the week without a pocket wifi was pretty rough. That said I am pretty addicted to the internet so it could definitely be different for you.
One thing I will say is that do NOT expect to get by with free public wifi. The amount of free public wifi is pathetic even in big cities where you would expect it to be everywhere.
>>
>>1087908
No.
>>
I'm in harajuku today and akihabara tonight if anyone wants to join
>>
>>1087977
Huh. Coming from Germany, actually I was quite pleased to find that many places and cities had free public wifi...

Speaking of public wifi, I noticed quite a few apparently paid wifi networks.
Is there any network you can buy a pass for as an alternative to getting a SIM or pocket wifi?
>>
I'll be doing working holiday in Japan for 4 months or so. Will I need an account in Japan for the money from any crappy jobs I might be doing or will they be paying cash or even transfer it to my account back home?
>>
>>1085646
you wouldn't need reservation, unless it's Golden Week or other major holiday. Just get ticket before getting on train.
>>
File: OWLS-GREY_3192807k.jpg (153KB, 858x536px) Image search: [Google]
OWLS-GREY_3192807k.jpg
153KB, 858x536px
I'm planning on visiting Tokyo this June for about a week. I want to stay a night in a ryokan and check out the owl cafe for sure. What are some other things worth doing? What should somebody going to Japan for the first time know about? Any help is appreciated.
>>
>>1088180
Don't want to be that guy but there's a lot of information in the sticky thread, in the japan general thread and in the previous threads. Pretty much everyone possible question has already been asked and you can find answer to any question if you put a little effort into it. And its different for everyone. Some people want to know all the small details of the etiquette so they don't act like a baka gaijin and some people just want to find out! So read my friend, read!
>>
>>1088207
I'll do some lurking and see what I can see. Thanks anon.
>>
Is it too cold to go during January/February? I've got those two months free and I would like to visit Japan during them.
>>
>>1084426
What company you going over with?
>>
>>1087912
Why not get a sim card? I can be a bit slow sometimes because of the bands check those in any case.

I got a wireless gate one, overall cheapest and allows wifi usage.

Just google japan sim cards there is a wiki page with everything one mighy need.

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Japan
>>
>>1088280
Japanese winters are relatively mild unless you are headed northern Honshu or hokkaido
>>
>>1088333
Nice guide.
Didn't know how to get the SoftBank Free Wifi before.
I think the network popped up pretty much everywhere in cities.

http://www.softbank.jp/en/mobile/special/freewifi/en/
>>
>>1087089
I will be there at the same time
First time visitor too
Would love to meetup
>>
>>1088334
Thanks for the info. Does anyone know where I could find a schedule to do Japan in two months? I want to start planning from today and have an idea of the budget, timings, etc, etc.
>>
Is it true that getting a hotel isn't really worth it unless you are a travelling businessman in tokyo?

I've never slept in a hostel but from what i hear from these threads, they aren't so bad.

Are there any you guys have been to and would reccomend/stay away from?
>>
>>1088390
Do you mean a schedule of things to do in Japan when you go in 2 months? If you want a really generic itinerary to start working off of, this is pretty good. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2400.html
>>
>>1088391
Hotels exist because staying in a hostel sucks. Hostels exist because they are cheaper than hotels.

If you can afford the hotel it will be better, but if your option is not being able to go because hotels are too expensive, stay in a hostel.
>>
File: beppupainting.jpg (255KB, 800x1067px) Image search: [Google]
beppupainting.jpg
255KB, 800x1067px
Anyone have experience going to weddings in Japan?

I have not yet received my physical invitation which might ask for a monetary gift. So I'm waiting on that.

I'm curious about dress code (for women) and additional gifting. Also any taboos to avoid. The couple getting hitched are 25-ish years old. Wedding is in Beppu.
>>
>>1088392
Checking it out.
What I meant with the schedule was the amount of days you guys would recommend to stay in each city. For example, 7 days in Tokio, 3 days in Kioto, etc, etc..

Thanks for the link tho, I'm checking it to get an idea.
>>
>>1088422
I just realized that it showed me the itinerary in Japan up to 21 days. Amazing, thank you!
>>
>>1088404
Nope, never been to one!
>>
>>1084110
>How easy is it to get laid?
I used tinder, I was in Tokyo for 2 weeks and got laid.
>Is the food any similar to americanized Japanese food?
It's better, food is pretty cheap and extremely delicious
>Money isn't a huge issue, so what would be a nice "name brand" hotel to stay at?
They are incredibly expensive, but I stayed in airbnbs and loved it
>What should I be wary of?
Nigerians who put drugs in your drink then steal your shit. Do not fuck with any of them, they are not your bros.
>>1084149
I spent under that in over 2 weeks, including lodging and had a blast.
>>1084219
The only place I recommend in Tokyo is tsurutontan but honestly don't go to any of the places your white friends or guide books tell you. They are almost always super expensive and filled with white people. Tokyo has more restaurant options than any other city in the world, you can find incredible food for really cheap. The best meal I had was at a tiny izakaya in a suburb of Shinjuku, and it was like 6 bucks. Best meal of my life.
>>1084396
It's really not that bad. I ate raw horse sashimi (basashi) be adventurous!
>>1084424
go with mobile wifi
>>1084622
No, but you might want to take a trip outside of it one day. Otherwise, there's a shit ton to do, but you should look for a few things ahead of time. You don't need to make an itinerary but get some potential ideas.
>>1085085
>>1085087
>>1085088
>>1085156
I went to Roppongi with a Japanese girl and had a blast.
>>1085341
It's safer than any city in America. People leave their shit sitting out and noone touches it. When I was at the airport, they had me just put my luggage in the corner, it was literally unthinkable that someone would take it.
>>1085559
This.
>>
>>1085611
Jesus.
>non otaku
museums/ueno park, kamakura, yokohama, food, shopping, izakaya. Get the lonely planet book on Tokyo/Japan.
>Phone
yes, pocket wifi
>English
you will be fine in major cities

>>1085760
No, I ithought it was a joke until I went to Tokyo. I was harassed on multiple occasions, saw them harass females, and I had to tell a bunch to fuck off because they tried to mess with me. I have met multiple Japanese natives in Japan and America who have told me stories of friends getting robbed. Just met some business men who told me about their friend who got drugged/robbed by Nigerians the other day.

>>1085927
Tokyo National Museum/Ueno Park
Robot Restaurant
Club in Shibuya/Roppongi
Asakusa
find a small izakaya (bar) and chat with people there.
>>1086211
I met a girl at a bar who did game translating and she sucked but it sounded like her job wasn't that great either.
>>1087067
I think you almost have to (legally) use a real estate agent and pay them an assload of charges but not sure of details
>>1087089
1 8 nights in a fucking capsule? get an airbnb, they are real cheap and won't drive you crazy. be polite though
2 Robot restaurant (not hidden), go to small izakaya and clubs and try to meat people, best bet.
3 daibutsu trail in kamakura, 1 hour train ride there from Tokyo, it's pretty and easy. an okay beach is nearby (yuigahama)
4 No, just get a suica/passmo which are in literally every train station. They are all close you don't need a JR pass
Last: love hotel or your airbnb instead of your capsule
>>
>>1088180
Get the lonely planet book, Tokyo National Museum/Ueno Park is good, Robot Restaurant, bounce around to see what is in different areas. What do you like?

Sorry for spamming everyone but I am missing Japan and wanted to give some advice about there/Tokyo. I recommended a lot of the basics multiple times, but feel free to ask me anything! (specific clubs, temples, etc.) I'll check back in some more tonight/tomorrow.
頑張って、みんな!
>>
>>1088404
Most weddings are pretty similar to western ones. If it is traditional, I am not sure. I have a Japanese friend who works to help run weddings, I can ask her if you would like. I'll probably practice Japanese with her in a week or so.
>>
>>1085341
Because everyone is looking out for one another and the second you get caught you're 95% going to jail.

But I'm an American citizen! They can't treat me like that! Yeah they fucking can
>>
>>1085611
You really have to learn how to write a post. Why do you press Enter after every line you've typed?

And yes, you can take your phone with you, I don't know why you might think that it somehow wouldn't be possible, phones are legal in Asia. For a wifi connection, most providers over here offer international data bundles with a certain amount of mb/gb for a couple euro's. You could also check out http://rental.cdjapan.co.jp/ or anything similar.

I'm assuming you'll only be in Tokyo for the entire stay. You can just google what kind of attractions there are and pick the things you're really interested in. You don't necessarily need an itinerary either, if you know the options.

It's not hard to get around if you only speak English, it is only hard to communicate. You most likely won't get lost, especially if you're not leaving Tokyo.

You'll be using the subway to get around Tokyo. You don't need a JR pass if you don't plan on using the shinkansen (to travel great distances) a couple times.
>>
New bread >>1088524
>>
>>1087908
Hell yeah, I lived there for 4 months. It's a big city that feels like a small one. The people are very friendly, and it isn't saturated with tourists and touristy stuff, which is what I disliked about Kyoto. Try to get some Karaage and Miso ramen. If you like castles, try Inuyama, it's a surviving original castle, not a modern reproduction.
>>
>>1088516

I typed it out in notepad because the internet was being shitty that day and didn't want to risk losing what I typed. I don't know why it added the extra space.

>Robot Restaurant

I think I would love that place.
Thread posts: 329
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.