[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nepal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: Nepal_landscape_1.jpg (1MB, 2700x1795px) Image search: [Google]
Nepal_landscape_1.jpg
1MB, 2700x1795px
Hey guys,
First of all, I apologize about my english. It isn't my first language.
My friend and I are landing in Nepal two weeks from now, in the 8/3.
We were wondering about the impact that the earthquake had on Nepal and on the tourism to that country. Are people still coming to hike there? Are the popular hiking routes (Annapurna etc) are gonna be deserted? etc.

Any recommendations and other valuable information would be excelent. Thanks!
>>
Hey anon,

I've never been to Nepal. But as I'm also going there this summer, I found out one or the other thing about Nepal on this board. All the people replying to worries like yours told OP, that you wouldn't even recognize, that there was an earthquake. Therefore 99% of the country - including Kathmandu and the polular treks - have been restored quite fast.
>>
>>1083071
Really? Cool! That's great. Do you think the number of travellers would come back to normal?
>>
>>1083171
I can't really say that, but is it that important? I actually like it, when places aren't that overrun by tourists
>>
Went to Nepal 4 years ago. Things I really enjoyed besides the usual stuff were: wildlife 'tour' in Bardiya national park. There're few tourists there (10p max), in contrary to Chitwan. Downside is a long long busride (17 hours from Pokhara if I remember correctly). I liked Bandipur as well. Really small village with sort of European feeling with most buildings looking in good shape. I only did the Helambu trek in 4 days, shouldve done more treks.
I have no clue what state this beautiful country will be in. Next time I visit it, i'll head west to do big treks in Upper Dolpo or something.
>>
AFAIK the earthquake only damaged areas around and near Kathmandu, so Annapurna didn't really get affected. I'm sure they have all been restored though, as the everest base camp trek did get some damage, and it's one of the most popular ones.
>>
>>1083193
did you hike the Annapurna? Would like to hear more information about it, if someone have some
>>
bumping the thread
>>
Kathmandu and the nearby areas are the ones that got damaged the worst.
The damage on the annapurna circuit trek was very minimal as far as I know so it's totally doable and not much has changed. maybe less tourism as usual.
two weeks wont be enough though if you're thinking about doing the circuit.
>>
>>1083196
Yeah, I did the Annapurna circuit completely, counter-clockwise. Took me 13 days total I think. One day I took to acclimatize/rest at 3500m, one day to wait out a storm at 4900m (should've waited two), one day to rest after going over the pass in a huge storm, one day to wait for an ATM to work at a small village with the airport.

You can take a jeep at the start to skip a few days. After going over the pass, you can take a jeep + bus/airplane to skip 2-3 days. Mind you, I did catch up with people who took the jeep at the start. I went alone with pretty minimal gear. There are a few side hikes you can do though, so if you don't have that much time, use jeep/bus at the start/end and do the hikes higher up.
>>
Is Lukla airport really that dangerous?
>>
>>1084061
cool. what gear do you need/ is a most? Do you recommend buying something back at home? etc
>>
Just got back from 5 weeks in Nepal.
Did three weeks trekking, plus 2 weeks touring around (Chitwan, pokhara, lumbini)
Do you have any specific questions?
Otherwise I'll jump back online after work today and chuck up a bunch of general info.

A lot of the information you read online is extremely out of date or plain wrong (I didn't find out about the Nepal fuel crisis till I got there for example).
>>
>kathmandu and that area are hit the worst

Well thats basically the only place I'm interested in going: Kathmandu, Bhaktapur ,Patan. Are they unsightly now?
>>
>>1085038
I've never done a wilderness trek before so I'm eager to learn how it's like for food, water, and storage. Mainly though what pack you bring and how much of it is clothes compared to supplies.

Right now I'm backpacking through Europe and am using a 35 liter pack that I've gotten attached to. Is that sufficient enough for a newbie trekker?

Plan on backpacking/trekking through Nepal, India, and Sri Lanka next year and I've already begun gathering information on that
>>
>>1085038
>A lot of the information you read online is extremely out of date or plain wrong

like what? I'll be glad to hear some general info as well
>>
>>1085023
You can buy everything you need in Kathmandu/Pokhara, but I would recommend getting proper shoes before you go. You don't want to buy shoes there, and then realize after 3 days that they are not right for you. Almost everything they sell is pretty cheap, but "fake", so they will break more easily. You can also rent stuff, like sleeping bags. Of course prepare for everything, like rain/snow and hot/cold weather. When I did it in february, it was something like 25C at lower altitudes, where you will sweat a lot when climbing. I think it got around -25C at the highest point.

You can hire a guide to carry your stuff and show you around, but I didn't. The Annapurna circuit is very straightforward and easy to navigate.

>>1085168
A lot of the treks in Nepal are so-called teahouse treks, where the route will go through villages which have guesthouses where you can sleep, eat and restock water/food. They usually cost 2-3 dollars a night, but you are kinda expected to buy meals from them, which are 3-5 dollars. You are never more than 4-5 hours away from a village. They do have wells where you can get water, which needs to purified. If they're not frozen.

I used a 35 liter bag, but that was without a sleeping bag. Only took the minimum amount of clothes and just stuffed it full of nuts/muesli bars. Villages sell snacks, but as you go to more remote areas, they will get more expensive. If you any extra stuff you don't need on the trek, hotels at the bigger cities can hold it for you while you go trekking.

There are also the longer treks, where there are villages, but they are further apart, so a tent is needed. Some treks you must hire a guide, and maybe go with a group. Otherwise they won't let you in. Not that familiar with them.
>>
>>1085829
Very useful information. Which trek did you go on? I don't think I'm ready for the more adventurous trek out there. I just want to the world, I don't need to get into every nook and cranny for it though
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.