[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk finance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: download.jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9KB, 225x225px
So what exactly do the anons of /trv/ do as a job?

>How much do you make?
>Is it enough to pay for your travel expenses?
>How do you budget everything out?
>How often do you travel?
>>
>>1066454
I'm from a household which earns six figures. Yes. Before travelling. Not that much these days.
>>
>>1066454
I take home about 30k
I own a home, and I pay a little extra towards the mortgage (FUCK PAYING INTEREST)
I travel once a year, for about three weeks depending on my annual leave/money/destination
I live in the USA
>>
File: oh look.jpg (40KB, 460x500px) Image search: [Google]
oh look.jpg
40KB, 460x500px
Inb4 the digital nomad meme
>>
>>1066454
>How much do you make?
$42,000 a year as an office bitch
Yes but I'm lucky to not pay rent. If I had to pay rent and for a few other things I probably wouldn't be able to travel much. Live in Vancouver where everything is expensive as fuck.
I try to stick to $50 per day when I travel. In western countries it will be slightly more, in the developing world it can be $30. I try to avoid any sort of tours and try to travel slowly enough where I can take public transport to locations I want to visit.
About a month every year. This year hoping to do a lot more, maybe 5 or so months.
>>
would you rather travel more frequently but for shorter lenghts of time or vice versa?
>>
>>1066609
I'd rather do 1 big trip of a few months each year but there really isn't a job out there giving you that except teaching. I think my life goal now is to get a PhD and become a university instructor in a university with a school calendar of September-March and travel from April through August.
>>
I am a self employed internet marketer.

$1.5k to $2k per week depending

Plenty for everything travel related

Don't really need to budget because only live and go to the cheaper countries right now

I'm kind of always traveling , I move to a different country every 3 months to 1 year have been doing it for 3 years now
>>
>>1066454
>about 1600 a month
>yessir
>i buy things i need and dont want and my life doesnt suck because of it
>at least 3 times a year
>>
>>1066692
If you're still anon, any advice you could give?
>>
1. My gf and I both work in the ski industry. We make about 100k per year combined. The best part is 6 weeks vacation before and after the ski season (usually late april/may and late october/november). This allows for ample travel time.

2. We are good at saving. We typically take one international trip and one domestic trip per calendar year. This year we are doing two international trips. (scandanavia and canada)

3. Budgeting is pretty easy. 500 in savings account every paycheck. We use a rewards card for every single expense possible and usually get a free ticket or two each year.

4. Twice per year, see above.
>>
>>1066695
Just save up dawg,

you dont have to suffer because of it. Im not doing anything special, really.

also for right now since youre on a budget go somewhere your currency is stronger than the country youre visiting.

once you save even more you can go to higher-end countries.

Good luck anon.
>>
>>1066697
thank man. recently got a new job repairing computers in the usa after a job in europe for 6 months. make about $1000 per month and still shaky on how to balance everything out...
>>
>>1066615
Incredible... How do you mean internet marketer?
I have been day trading for about a year, only now starting making enough to be a free man
>>
I'm a pizza delivery driver in a pretty wealthy neighborhood.

I work 8 hours a days and can expect to leave with $80-$110 of untaxed income each day with actual minimum wage as well. My wage pays all my bills while all my tips after gas and maintenance are saved for travel. I'm a student as well so I get a bit of FAFSA money every now and then. Can't rely on FAFSA forever but it's really helping me travel for now. The only time I've done real traveling was last year but a few days ago I dropped a bunch of money on tickets to India, so I guess I travel once a year.
>>
>>1066696
What so you do in the ski industry? Sounds pretty perfect. I'm planning to work a season in Whistler next year and could use some advice
>>
Geologist.

Pay used to be good, but now the industry collapse it sucks.

I also used to get to travel a bit, prospecting in the Andes and Sulawesi. But now it's just senior people who go.

Don't be a geologist, or if you do, be ready for years of sitting around pulling your dick.

But anyway I save about half my pay and travel at least once a year, would like to go more but I'm too old to be a vagabond now. Ideally in the near future I'll get work overseas.
>>
I get 480€/month in government handouts for studying in my country, not matter if I'm at uni or Thailand, Borneo, etc.
During the semester I live at my dad's and save up the money, in semester break I go abroad and live off the saved + the still incoming money.
Sometimes I also work small 18h/week jobs during the semester.
>>
I'm a teacher working overseas in Asia (South China), I take home 55k US after all is said and done, but about half of that will go towards rent & student debt.

I have about 12 weeks off a year, and I'll spend about half of that back home in N. America to see friends & family and travel the area. Otherwise I'll spend my time visiting other Asian places on long weekends and week-long breaks. So far I've been here for 8 months and I've been to Europe, home to Canada, and Vietnam. Thailand will be next month, probably Cambodia in April. Korea will likely happen before the summer as well.

Budget is pretty much quartered. 1 part to debt, 1 part to rent, 1 part to food/bills/free spending, 1 part to saving & travel (maybe those shouldn't be mixed haha). It's enough but if I was more frugal with my spending at home I could put more away without it effecting my travel budget.
>>
>>1066765

I am in marketing and my gf is a middle manager for a large hotel/timeshare. It is close to perfect, but I failed to mention the 12 weeks off are unpaid and require lots of planning. Rent is still due those weeks, etc. Also, the cost of living is high because the local businesses gouge the tourists, especially groceries. We drive 70 miles to buy ours.
My advice is: certainly do a season at a ski resort. Its an awesome experience. Don't get caught up in the partying, thats a good way to drink your money away. Each year younger kids have to leave because they ran out of money. Live cheaply, ski/snowboard your face off, and save what you can.
>>
>>1066454
I work while traveling so i dont need to worry about thing like that.
>>
>>1066454
I'm one of the anons who gets to travel for work. Generally all expenses paid for. No way I could afford it otherwise.

I've learned that if you're in a position where it's possible to travel for work, it helps to be adventurous. Company travel people are way more likely to smile upon you if you inform them that you do not need the 4-star treatment that the last guy working this job demanded.

A few years of careful negotiation with the folks who run the logistics of these trips has led to them covering up how I book cheap hostels and public transit on my own instead of using what the company would have gotten me otherwise.

It's meant that I can add sometimes up to a week after the actual work part to wander around on my own. I've also gotten praise from the budget office on how much more efficient I seem to be with my expense account. Feels good man.
>>
>>1066810
what qualifications do you have to get that position? i was under the impression that teaching in China paid a lot less than that. it sounds like you're making even more than the average person in south korea, which i thought was one of the highest paid in asia. am i wrong?
>>
>>1066881
Thanks for that. I was in marketing before I started traveling long term and it's always refreshing to see people doing it outside the traditional field (which has gone to shit).

I guess I should answer the op too:
>How much do you make?
Roughly 15-30k usd a year. I work in a country with a strong economy for a couple of months and then pick up work in Canada whenever I'm visiting friends and family.
Definitely. I'm usually happy to work 3-6 months and then travel for the other half of the year. I do have to live with my parents for the 1 month out of every year that I visit my home city though.

Pretty much all of it goes to traveling since it's my lifestyle right now. I have 3000 in a "reset fund" which doesn't get touched unless I'm out of money. It pays for rent, food, my gym membership, some spending money for a couple of months while I look for a job.

Pretty much most of the year. I don't really budget and I made it to 11 months on the last trip. But most trips have been about 6 or 7 months.
>>
Since this is a relevant thread, Budapest, with 900 USD for 7/8 days. How plausible is that? Would I be comfortable? What do you guys think would be a nice nation to go to for that? I'm looking for a 500 or so dollar flight.
>>
>>1066454
>How much do you make?
$40,000/year

Travel expenses are paid for by the company I work with.

My company budgets for me.

On the road constantly.
>>
>>1066781
About to get my bs in geology.

Any advice?

Most likely getting my MS next
>>
>>1067005
Just network, like way before you graduate. I was a shit student but i cold called a junior explorer before I graduated, by the time I finished I was one of only a handful of people with jobs. Good luck mate its tough at the moment, I might go back to school myself.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.