[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Traveling to New Orleans

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 2013-09-05-NewOrleansCityPark.jpg (338KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
2013-09-05-NewOrleansCityPark.jpg
338KB, 640x480px
I'll be leaving to NOLA in a few days and just wanted to inquire about any good spots to hit, hidden gems, or neat hotels. Planning on being there for 6 days and will be with my girlfriend and money is really no issue. Thanks guys!
>>
>>1059172
Bourbon street a shit. 0/10, only go if you run out of better things to do.
>>
>>1059172
Stay out of my city.

Or

If you do come don't be one of those faggy tourists who complains to the natives about how dangerous it is. No we don't want to live in your peaceful suburb.
>>
>>1059172
Ignore >>1059273
Bourbon Street is cool enough, go if you've never been. Sure it's touristy and shit, but whatever, if that's your type of thing, you'll still have fun.
But by all means, see more than the French Quarter, because there's so much hit. Hit the World War II museum, City Park, etc. Don't be one of those lame tourists who only comes in NOLA to get drunk. You can get drunk anywhere.
>>
>>1059323
>If you do come don't be one of those faggy tourists who complains to the natives about how dangerous it is. No we don't want to live in your peaceful suburb.
You sound like a defensive idiot who doesn't live in reality. I know generations of natives who have moved and some who have not, and all very often complain about how violently dangerous criminals are for the minor thefts they do, they stab and shoot just to never be caught for a mugging. It is throughout every neighborhood and block to block, alley to alley, with no way to obviously avoid it or to tell a visitor to avoid it.

I have an aunt and uncle who last year moved out of the Garden District.. heard gunfire every other night...would frequently come out in the morning and find shell casings on their sidewalks or out near their pool..Uncle worked for the mayor..aunts father was a long serving judge. They talk.

I second >>1059394
where Bourbon St. seems like the target you should do, but you need to be most careful on either side of it. Do get a Central Grocery muffaletta sandwich, some zapps, and a beer or root beer, some pralines for dessert, then walk to a park bench or go to the top of the levy for your "picnic" and finish it off some time spent at the french market antiquing with a snack of some coffee and beignets. If you have a car, you can visit morning call which has better beignets. I'm an advocate of doing all of the famous restaurants, because they deserve their reputations, but there's a soft spot in my heart for tujagues. Also with a car, if you're new to the bayou, you should get out and go see some of the riverside plantation homes, have boudin balls, crawfish by the pound (or blue crabs), stuffed artichokes, and lots of ice cold beer.
>>
>>1059394
>Don't be one of those lame tourists who only comes in NOLA to get drunk. You can get drunk anywhere.
People travel for various reasons, ya know. Some people go to resorts and never leave their deck chair. Other people walk from sunup to sundown sightseeing. I frequently travel, so I admit I freely travel for food, wine, and nighlife with some of my friends, who will laze about the entire day and could give a fuck about paintings or architecture on those kinds of trips. It's about your friends. Never underestimate the lure of alcohol and music being enough! Jazz & Heritage Fest attests to that, true nuff!
>>
>>1059401
Well I mean hey, if that's all he wants to do, power to him, but he's going to miss out on a lot of other cool stuff.
>>
>>1059394

Seconding the World War II museum.

Also go to Frenchman street instead of Bourbon street, it's got smaller better bars and way more locals. Getting drunk with tourists on Bourbon street is fun exactly once.
>>
If you're in town on December 17 be sure to go to Tipitinas for Leo Nocentellis New Orleans music hall of fame induction/concert. All kind of legends of New Orleans music will be performing and you will have a great time. If you respond to this post, I'll go on at length. Have fun.
>>
The Verdi Mart in the French Quarter has a great deli in the back... the brisket is always good and their twice baked potatoes are the best. Jaques Imo's on Oak Street next to the Maple leaf is my go to spot when I'm in that part of town. Almost any show at Tipitina's uptown is awesome. Best small venue in the city.
>>
Preservation jazz hall

Wednesday night preservation band plays
>>
This may seem obvious but go inside the st. louis cathedral! I was born & raised in New Orleans and I was 15 years old before I actually went inside. Its a really really cool building. My favorite place in the French quarter is Croissant d'or. I have some more restaurant recommendations I'll post them in a bit
>>
>>1059172
If you can rent a car for a day drive upriver and tour a couple plantations. Pretty cool and nice to get out of the filth of the French Quarter.
>>
>>1059925
Hey I'm this guy. I recommend you also kayak or paddleboard on Bayou St. John. It's mainly a thing locals do but its a really pretty view of mid-city. Just make sure you don't fall in because the water is yucky.
You can find a ton of good restaurants on Freret Street. Theres the high hat which makes good southern soul food. Ancora, which is right next door to that, makes gourmet pizza. The Company burger (possibly the best burgers in town) and also the Original Dat Dog, which has been really successful and has a few other restaurants around the city. Felipes is the best mexican restaurant in town its off claiborne near Tulane.
I also recommend you take the St. Charles streetcar at least once to see all the pretty houses.
>>
>>1059429
Yes to Frenchmen over bourbon.

I lived in uptown without a car for a year. Take the streetcar through Uptown, tour the garden district, eat at the rum house, have ice cream at creole creamery. Audubon park and the zoo are nice. At the end of the line is a monthly art fair in Carrollton. I guess you could go antiquing on Magazine st. And see what I think is the best summary of New Orleans going down Tchoupitoulas Street.
Oh in Midtown, po'boys at Parkway.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.