[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I odd for thinking like this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5

File: 1449312220219.jpg (8KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
1449312220219.jpg
8KB, 236x236px
I'm a Law student in the UK. I know that everyone wants to secure a job after graduation, but I'm pretty much the opposite.
My dream is to be a backpacker and to see the world. Working as an ESL teacher really appeals to me. I know that if I managed to secure a job after graduation, I will be too scared to give it up/the sacrifice of giving up a law job is too big. Nobody will give up a law job and doing so will only make me look like an idiot.
>>
>>1058682
If it's your dream... Why are you even asking us? Go be happy, you don't owe anyone explanations.
>>
>Working as an ESL teacher really appeals to me.

OP, the problem is this -- it can be difficult to find ESL work when English is not your native language. You need to consider this.
>>
>>1058753
>Is it really that obvious!?

Sorry, but yes. Anyway, being an ESL teacher is hardly anything to aspire to -- pay, hours, and long-term prospects are all bad. Why not specialize in some area of law that pays well and affords an opportunity of international business travel? It's the smarter thing to do and, if you end up hating it, you can always quit and become the backpacking bum of your dreams.
>>
>>1058682
>implying boring law jobs won't be waiting for you when you get back.
>implying the world really needs another fucking lawyer

You could probably even specialize in english just for law-prep in some Asian dustbucket and do all right. Your parents aren't you. Grow a pair and do what you want. Are or are you some chained-to-his-mummy's-apron Pakiboy? (As the other anon suggested, it is clear you are not a native speaker).
>>
Nigga you're mixing up your 1st and 2nd conditionals, go back to school till you're no longer a fool
>>
>>1058682
Just go you pussy, worst happens you don't like it and come back home
>>
>>1058682
Honestly, an ESL teacher? That's not an aspiration, that's a desperation. You would be wasting a perfectly nice degree, that is useful, to join a shameful occupation class. If you're going to go overseas to teach, teach anything but English, have some pride.
>>
>>1059000
Dude, don't listen to him. Do whatever the fuck you want to do man.
>>
>>1059000
English teachers yes. Real, actual teachers, no. OP, who will have a law degree, will stain her entire future if she follows through with this dream. I hope for her parents sake she understands this.
>>
File: PRTO0K6.gif (395KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
PRTO0K6.gif
395KB, 300x169px
>>1058740
>work is not meant to be fun

Thats not true. I was like you and traveled abroad after graduating in the UK. I've been to Japan, S america and now I'm in China. I worked as an ESL teacher and yes, it sucked ass. But it changed my life and now I've found a great job directly related to my degree here in China.

Go for it DO IT. JUST. GO. FUCKING PUSSY
>>
>>1058740
>>you don't owe anyone explanations
>Not even to my parents?
>My parents said that they will not do this if they were me, that I am probably romanticising the job too much, and that no job is fun as work is not meant to be fun.
This.

There are certain careers where your first steps are quite important...accounting for one, law for another. eGotta jump out of the frying pan into the fire, as they say. MaybWhen you take time off for life, you label yourself forever with the stigma of 1) I don't really like to work hard and 2) I am burned out/mentally ill/undiagnosed depressive. Either of these are job risks for potential employers, and most certainly becoming an ESL teacher which isn't even resume work looks unusual. Sure it gets you a little travel, but so does saving your money and taking vacations on every single 4 day weekend and earned time as well. Gap years are done in college because life begins afterwards. You need to have your internships down pat, and your first step planned out. It's not to "quit life" for a few months utterly and completely. By the way, feel free to change jobs and positions as you rise up the ranks of experience with "thank you for the job, my start date needs to be <insert 3 weeks> after you'd ideally want me, because I have to move and have a trip planned, gotta spend time with grandpa, work on my novel> whatever. When you have power, you can get time off.

In the meantime, take some depression medication, so you don't blow your life. College was too hard for you, or you have poor habits. You shouldn't be burned out at this age in your life, if everything was cake for you. By the way, little known fact, backpacking sucks, and traveling with more money rocks. Justify your budget all you want, but the finer things in life cost money, from delicious food to entrance fees, to entertainment, to wonderful respites in accommodations. It's not all "the people" and natural wonders that make up a great trip.
>>
File: Photo-0027.jpg (902KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Photo-0027.jpg
902KB, 1600x1200px
>>1059026
This guy doesn't know shit, don't listen to him.

OP think about it this way. Imagine you are on your deathbed, about to breathe out your last moments. Would you look back at your decision to stay or go with regret?

If you think your old self would regret not having gone, then you should just follow your heart and do it.

I am >>1059021

And I've backpacked across many countries with very little budgets. Yes, I've had hardships and challenges, but I've met them and grown from them. I can honestly say I wouldn't have traded them for a steady job straight out of university.

Your 20s are a time for you to explore your freedom and the world while you're still relatively free from obligations. Once you have a job, a house and kids, you'll have lost that freedom. And then you'll become like your parents, telling your children to do the same as you.

Break the chain. Go out bravely and meet what life has to offer off of the beaten path.

Here is a photo of me from when I was working in Tokyo for a year. Great memory, great friends and great experiences.
>>
>>1059036
>Once you have a job, a house and kids, you'll have lost that freedom
Spoken like a loser with little career prospects.

OP, nothing says depression and denial about what matters than not building some savings for retirement, your immediate future and planning for supporting your family and all of your desires both.

My parents traveled with us as infants, and about 12x/year my entire life. Probably only took two trips alone, though they had a lot of date nights, people who are "normal" don't find a family a loss of freedom whatsoever. At the end of the day (or your deathbed), many many people regret their choices in their 20s. Just look around at people who are in their 50s and 60s right now, who you want to be become. See if they quit life and lived paycheck to paycheck in their 20s spouting freedom and some kind of bullshit about humanism and self-indulgence. You have to have balance and good sense, and in the current economy, unless you already have a nest egg, people who travel without money run the risk of falling back on their family when their asses end up in a hospital, and they can't even pay the bill or get home.
>>
>>1059037
I am >>1059021

I'm a journalist working for a weekly publication, I studied journalism in London

They're saying different things because they've chosen different paths. One more thing: visiting countries for a short time is a completely different thing from living in them for more than a year. There are things that you can't see or understand about a country from being a tourist. Real travel is when you go there, find a job, and adapt to the environment.

Waiting until you have money from your steady job to travel isn't the same.
>>
>>1059044
You're so full of shit. And no, I have great career prospects. Having traveled and worked in Asia, Europe, and the Americas, if and when I return back home (to the U.S.), my CV will have had more rich experience and diversity than any of my peers.

Nice assumption you pulled out of your ass.
>>
>>1059044
>>1059047
Also, I have good savings from the numerous jobs I've pulled off by working while traveling. You really don't know shit, do you?
>>
>>1059053
Your wishes are only as unrealistic as you make them to be. I mean, if you want to do something, just go and find out. Thats what life is about, not sitting around doing what is "safe" or "stable" or "normal". Live your own life, not what others want you to live.

Yeah, you might have a hard time getting used to the cultures, but you can read up on it so you know what to expect. I think its a great opportunity to grow.

Where are you thinking of heading? Maybe I can give you some advice.
>>
>>1059059
Not even against my parent's wishes? They want me to be a lawyer. It is a well-paid and stable job.
>>
>>1059061
You can be a lawyer in other countries. My Australian friend left to work as a lawyer in Japan and she said it was one of the best choices of her life.
>>
>>1059062
How did she managed to find that job? Did she find it before moving aboard?
>>
>>1059061
There is so much nonsense in this thread. First, teaching English is not a rewarding profession. Sure you can be in a foreign country, but the money isn't good, especially compared to a lawyer, and you're just giving up your entire college education. Sure after 4 years when you go back home, you'll have 4 years of employment on your CV, but honestly that 4 years is a huge negative to potential employers. Oh, and you can put down how culturally rewarding it was, and how much you grew as a person. And that is worth nothing. No one gives a fuck that you learned to ride the bus in China or how to use chop sticks.

What if you take the job in the UK in law. You establish a worthwhile work history, you learn about your chosen career and have the chance to professionally improve yourself. You probably get leave and will be able to travel during that leave time. Further there are weekends, and you can make use of those.

Don't waste what you have, as you have a lot. Good luck.
>>
>>1059074

I'm not OP but holy shit what is it to you dude? Mind your own business, asshat.

>Sure you can be in a foreign country, but the money isn't good

Money isn't everything to everyone. To some people, experiencing another country is worth more than a high salary.

>Oh, and you can put down how culturally rewarding it was, and how much you grew as a person. And that is worth nothing

ie.,

>Fulfilling personal experiences aren't worthwhile. Only resumes and the rat-race.

Are you the most warped person ever? You might be.
>>
>>1059079
Don't even bother responding to him. He thinks having a high salary and work and resumes are all that matter in life.

He actually, literally just said that having a culturally rewarding experience and growing as a person is "worth nothing."

Like, dude, why are you even on the travel board? I feel bad for you.
>>
>>1059084
You're a sad person. Don't try to crush someone's dreams just because your life sucks.

>>1059070
The easiest way to travel while working is to find a job teaching. She found a teaching job at a reputable company for adult learning and then had free time to search for a law firm.

And to refute what that other guy said, she got a job at one of the TOP law firms in Japan. Think about her CV, working in a top firm in a foreign country, and you tell me if you think that is worthless.
>>
Hey OP my 2nd cousin was a lawyer and hated his job. He said fuck it and moved to Taiwan to teach and he's been happier ever since. He wrote a book about it. He's an old fuck now.

I also have another cousin teaching in Japan. He's been there 3 years. He's fluent in Japanese and fucks different jap girls every week. He sings and plays guitar so he's popular. Before Japan my cousin was a guitar instructor making 70k a year.

I myself am a 23 year old American and teaching in South Korea. This is my first year.

It's a great experience no regrets but i don't think i could do it forever.
>>
>>1059081

Not the anon that you're replying to.... I'd say that you're taking his comments waaaaay too personally. Seems to me you're very nervous about the choices you've made and are desperately trying to validate them -- your posts read like you're trying to justify yourself to someone else, perhaps your own parents. You're constantly snarking on this guy for giving "bad" advice, but what you've posted is hardly objective and frankly comes across as really self-serving.
>>
File: JsFp7SE.gif (1MB, 320x160px) Image search: [Google]
JsFp7SE.gif
1MB, 320x160px
>>1059084
>goes to a foreign country
>teaches English
>doesn't find a job related to his field in the foreign country
>returns, can't find a job

what are you, retarded? You're the kind of dumbass that makes other expats get a bad rep abroad.
>>
>>1059090
Who are you referring to? Theres more than 3 people in here you know
>>
>>1059093
Not sure what she did exactly, but she worked hard for it. Its not going to be a cakewalk, but its better than staying home.
>>
>>1059097
wow really?!
>>
>>1059096
>Who are you referring to?

>>1059078
>>1059081
>>1059088
>>
>>1059100
I'm the last one you linked to, the one who went to Japan. Why would I need to validate my choices? lol?
>>
>>1059101
>Why would I need to validate my choices?

>You're a sad person. Don't try to crush someone's dreams just because your life sucks.

Do you at all realize that the person you're calling sad and hopeless is in fact OP? You're unknowingly calling the person you're ostensibly trying to help an asshole because you're in such a great hurry to show you're right. That doesn't seem like a desperate attempt at validation to you?
>>
>>1059103
No its not. Did you read the OP? She hasn't graduated yet.

You're the one that is in a hurry.
>>
>>1059104
idk bud, I just know she's still doing it.
>>
>>1059104
>Geez you cant be a lawyer in another country with no license, and Japanese law is COMPLETELY different than Australian law

This is logical. However, it's possible -- remotely possible, but still possible -- that she advises Japanese clients doing business in Australia on the nuances of Australian law. Now, why an international law firm would hire some person off the street (and an English teacher, to boot) rather than, say, an attorney with experience actually practicing in Australia is altogether beyond me. But it is possible, just like it's possible that Hilary Clinton is a lizard alien.

>>1059105
>Or maybe that guy is a troll?

Nope. >>1059084 is OP. Writing style is consistent.
>>
>>1059106

Your reading comprehension skills are quite poor. Those who can do, do, and those who can't do, teach -- congratulations on being a human cliche.
>>
>>1059110
She was also a lawyer in Australia.

>>1059084
Is not OP, the content of their posts do not match. (nor their IPs)
>>1059111
holy shit lol, didn't I just say I'm not a teacher? I won't even bother with you.
>>
And? Come back to the UK and find another job. Doesn't have to be law
>>
>>1059115
>I won't even bother with you.

Thank you. You're strident and contradictory, and really have nothing useful to say.
>>
>>1058740
Stop doubting ur self and fuck what ur parents say man go be a esl teacher
>>
>>1059118
More useful than you, apparently.
>>
>>1059098
>Its not going to be a cakewalk, but its better than staying home.
Hrm. Quite defensive is this one. How is it better? I've lived both lives. I agree with >>1059090
in that someone on this forum is taking it far too personally. He likely doesn't see that we all see that. I see a couple of lies in there. I happen to know quite a few individuals who work

OP, here's who a ESL job is good for...the spouse of a military person, medical professional/other business person. These are expat jobs because they really work out for educated but not money-hungry individuals who can't get real working permits in their chosen educational field (but not otherwise employable people), and they don't pay much more than the ability to meet all of your expenses. Let's talk about those expenses, because someone who can create savings is simply living like a vagabond, eschewing real experiences that matter to their quality-minded peers.

People in the business world who travel FOR A LIVING get huge ginormous stipends to live in a way that equals what it does at home in their 1st world country at the salaries they'd get there in their fields, plus living expenses for safety/security of their families in a higher crime situation, plus private "american" school tuition so their kids don't have to do arithmetic til bedtime like in singapore with the locals or grow up around bullies, plus salaries that enable them to AFFORD to fly home to/from their extended families on national holidays such as christmas. Are you going to enjoy shelling out 12k on flight expenses to see your family like you would when you work within your own country? At what point are you making negative income, breaking even, and worked as hard as the guy at home with two jobs. Will you be working somewhere that has real accessibility to regional travel, and the time off, or will it add up?
>>
>>1059117
This was reply to >>1058941
>>
>>1059115
>I won't even bother with you.

>>1059121

Just like I said -- strident and contradictory.
>>
>>1059124
There's more choices in life than being a Lawyer or fast food chef
>>
>>1058682
OP, you gotta stick it up a little while with the career track moves upward. Put in a little time, 2 to 3 years, live very frugally possible at home or with a roommate or two (advertise for flight attendants to room with you and share their perks), and then start your partnership with those savings, and then set your own damn hours! Or, apply for an opening, and take a break between job 1 and job 2, or go do an internship abroad/add some kind of certificate. Make your travel resume-relevant. Always. Want to get into some very specific type of law after some general dues are paid, then you follow your dreams into that area.

My brother retired at 35 on the monies his savings generate each month. Talk about freedom. He took a 2 year "break" between the BA and BS and worked as an officer on a cruise line. Finished the BS. Worked vacation relief on same cruise line. Finished the Masters. Worked some stock market/funds positions, all $$$$ jobs with the right resume experience (high quality customer service).

Lawyers make good CEOs, and upper management, esp entrepreneurial dreams. Just pay your dues somewhere a few years, doing the "right" thing while you plan your dreams. You'll be too busy in an ESL job to be ultra-happy or make much plans. With higher IQ and intelligence, you'll be kind of don't-give-a-fuck about people trying to speak to you, either. It's boring. You won't care because it's not meaningful or stimulating. It's like a college professor only getting to hang around with 4 year olds all day. Brain gets starved for higher level stimulus.
>>
>>1059128
OP is from the UK, for most graduate jobs over here they don't care what subject your degree is in. (Although it is changing and obviously doesn't apply to careers like law, medicine and engineering)

But If OP doesn't get into law, she can get a graduate role in marketing, business, etc. My friend has a degree in medical science and is working in media now.
>>
>>1059130
>she can get a graduate role in marketing, business, etc. My friend has a degree in medical science and is working in media now.

What exactly is a "graduate role" in marketing, business, etc.? I don't see how a law school graduate who can't find work as a lawyer has any advantage over a ordinary university graduate when it comes to non-law related work. And, what's the point of attending law school (large investment in time and $) if you don't intend to practice law?
>>
>>1059132
In the UK everyone pays the same amount for their degree, whether it's Law or a BA in jazz studies.

She won't have an advantage over ordinary uni graduates, but OP can still get non-law graduate jobs. And if she went to a good university that will help.

A gradute role is a job where the employer requires you to have a degree. That's it. Their higher salary than say retail or customer service roles.
>>
>>1059095
Because the money is good enough for comfy solo living but it would be a struggle when I'm 30+ thinking about a family. The opportunities of a young man teaching to travel is amazing but the lifestyle isn't something I would settle for in my 30s.

In my opinion and experience it's only good because it's a free pass to go to another country. Unless you have a huge passion for teaching or no ambition I can't see anyone else pursuing ESL teaching more than a few years.

In South Korea at least there's a good percentage of folks that have been here 4+ years, don't speak Korean, and there is something off about them. They only hang out with other foreigners. I guess they don't like the culture yet they got comfy and don't know how to change.

I just look at them and hope I never become something so sad. You're only young once.

Sorry for the strong opinions and personal blog.
>>
>>1058984

>being an ESL teacher is shameful

The only people that perpetuate this rumor are on /trv/. I have never heard this outside of this forum.
>>
>>1059074

You need to learn how to read. You've made your opinion clear. You think that a "solid" work history is the most important thing in life and that any deviation from the well trod path is a sign of mental illness. Several posters have given examples of the contrary, and I'm sure OP has heard a million opinions identical to hers. So why don't you make a legitimate argument to support your opinion?
>>
Just travel for a bit, taking 1 or even 2 years off isn't a big deal to a potential employer, even a law firm.
You'll be fine, the career path isn't as linear as everyone makes it out to be. People ITT seem like they've never had more than one professional job and think the whole economy is a pit of sharks. Like the American in Japan said earlier, go out and follow your travel dreams, I'm sure you'll regret it if you don't and you're working 60 hour weeks at a law firm, there's more to life than money and securing a pristine resume. Get real
>>
>>1058984

>If you're going to go overseas to teach, teach anything but English, have some pride.

Are there any jobs for other languages in Japan? I can speak English (decent-good), German (born), Turkish (lived for quite a bit). I still got three years before I graduate HS, but have no idea what I should do. I think teaching German might be a better choice, but I have a few questions.

1. Do I have to be qualified as a teacher in Germany to be able to teach in Japan or Korea?
2. If I learned another language in the 3 years in front of me, a) what should it be (thinking of either jp or dutch, maybe both) and b) is there a way for me to be a teacher in some other country in these languages?
3. I don't really like the idea of marriage, but what do I know, I'm still a teenfag. If I chose to marry and a) have kids or b) not have kids would I be able to live normally?

15/m if it matters.
>>
>>1058780
Not that guy but I looked after posting. I'm no newspaper editor but some of the more obvious ones are your generous use of commas to break apart sentences. Perhaps your use of too many words to describe things as well? I notice some foreigners tend to do that but it seems more professional over the Internet and in news articles to make it more accessible to read.

Though that one guy could have just been trolling due to the fact you're in the UK and the rising immigration numbers
>>
>>1059326
>I'm no newspaper editor
You don't say.

>your generous use of commas to break apart sentences
LOL, he used precisely two commas in his OP, both correctly. Two commas isn't "generous" by any stretch of the imagination.

OP's problem (as another anon kindly pointed out; shame that you didn't RTFT) is his misuse of first and second conditionals. His phrasing is also a wee bit awkward, which is another indication that English isn't his first language.

None of this would have been relevant, except for OP's expressed desire to teach English. It's ironic, isn't it? He speaks/writes it better than you do, Mr. "I'm no newspaper editor."
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.