[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Travel Gear

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: dsc_46531.jpg (1MB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
dsc_46531.jpg
1MB, 3008x2000px
What's some great travel gear?

Backpacks, luggage, shoes, gadgets, etc...

bonus points if you don't look like an ass with it.
>>
>>1051003
when I started I had so much shit, and my bag weighed a ton, it was like hiking getting anywhere

all you really need is water, enough fresh food for a day, a few clothes, some kind of gps enabled internet device, ear and eye covers for sleeping and an umbrella

I took a clothes line when I was backpacking and some bag locks

buy a pillow for the flight, and throw it out, then buy another one for returning home

bring condoms, your medications, pick up panadol when you get there

I had a full medical kit and a swiss army knife, and never used it in three months
I had a sleeping bag, never used, as well as those anti bed bug sheets, never used. I had a water bottle, but I bought bottle water most of the time so It was unused, scan proof wallet, unused (your call)

I took a money pouch with cash and a passport, It was so damn uncomfortable and a nuisance; but some people I was with had their passports stolen, so I'm undecided on that count
>>
A decent pillow is good, makes sleeping on buses, trains and in airports much better. Get either a miniature version of a normal pillow (comfy but bulky) or an inflatable pillow (shaped like an actual pillow, fuck those U-shaped things).

Try to minimse the number of chargers and electronic gadgets your have. It's good these days since most things can charge via usb. If you're only going to a few places it's easier to just get an adapter for that country than one of those big universal things.

Money belts are a controversial topic but they are undeniably useful in certain situations.

It seems to be impossible to find shoes that are comfy enough for long days on pavement, sturdy enough for day hikes and decent-looking enough to not look out of place in social settings but if you find such a thing please let me know.

Cheap plastic ponchos are much lighter and smaller than actual raincoats so they're a better option if you don't need something durable.

Water filtration devices are largely unnecessary since bottled water is everywhere. I've honestly never been anywhere where I couldn't get it. That said it doesn't hurt to have a few water purification tabs if you're in some isolated area where the water is very expensive.
>>
I found out that bringing large zip lock bags are great. They don't take up much room and are perfect for keeping your clean clothing separate from dirty clothing.
>>
>>1051172
oh, this
when your dirty clothes stink out your bag it's awful
>>
A bag with extra ties all over it is key, so you can tie on raincoats, boots or whatever if your bag is full.

Plastic bag. I cannot stress that enough. Endlessly useful things.

The zip lock suggestion is good, but it depends on how much space you have. If you're packing tightly, you'll need to pack the dirty clothes tightly too, unless you carry them separately. In that case, the plastic bag is a good separator, so you can just put them at the bottom of the bag
>>
>Backpack
Anything large enough to contain everything you need but small enough to fit as a carry-on. 99% of people who bring huge as fuck luggage when traveling have absolutely no reason to do so other than they just didn't have the judgment to bring less useless shit.
>Plastic bags and ziploc bags
Especially for separating clean and dirty clothes, but have many many uses.
>microfiber towel
>8.5x11" dry bag for paper stuff like itineraries and maps, reservations and shit
>spork
>sleeping bag liner can be used as improvised linen (I use it when I sleep in airports)
>baby towels
>>
>>1051269
>microfiber towel
I threw mine out and just used a shirt
maybe I'm just a bumb at heart
>>
>>1051273
Not for everybody I guess.
It's probably my favorite piece of gear.
>>
>>1051274
my favorite is the discreet wire frame lock that I use to attach my hiking bag to my day pack

several times a thief has tried to steal it, only to find themselves carrying more than than they can get away with

the second and third times I didn't even get up from my chair, I just watched them panic and leave my bag in the middle of the road
>>
>>1051273
>mfw a shirt takes up less space and would dry quicker

You may be on to something, my filthy friend
>>
>>1051320
>a shirt takes up less space and would dry quicker
No and no.
>>
>>1051172
>>1051226

How about using any old plastic bag from the shop and tying it closed to cut off the stench? No need to be a spaz traveling with Ziploc bags and they probably hold more.
>>
>>1051325
Yes and yes tbqh tho
>>
>>1051365
Either you've been using NASA shirts or dollar store travel towels then.
>>
>>1051320
bumb spirit

you just have to wash it in a sink or the shower after you use it

>>1051362
that is actually what Idid in he end, but the problwm was plastic bags make an awfun noise, so when you're getting dressed in the morning you wake people (girls who think you are a prince/oil baron) up
>>
>>1051365
Can definitely confirm no and no, senpai.
>>
>>1051320
>>mfw a shirt takes up less space and would dry quicker
The point of microfibre towels is that they roll up tiny and dry in nothing flat. Cotton shirts will take hours to dry though they're not to big themselves. They also won't be as absorbant when you're drying, they'll get soaked through very easily due to significantly less surface area.

Microfibre towels are amazing, though they're hard to wash so they tend to get gross after a while and lose their effectiveness too. Still, good for several months of constant use at least.
>>
always depends on where you're going. i just made an excel sheet where i listed all my stuff und always pick what i need for the trip and it will put it in a special list with weight and stuff.

im mostly traveling to rural areas mustly nature und i recommend taking a watertight tupperware box or something like that: it will allow you to pick berries and such along the way or store other food. plus consider getting one of those lifestraw things if going more into nature.
>>
>always end up heading for destinations with possibly extreme weather
>packing down jacket and crampons and ice axe half of the time
>book trip to Sri Lanka
>no extreme weather, just rain and warm temperatures
>don't need ice axe now
>feels weird man

I am mightily confused. Help me /trv/, do I pack any warm weather specifics other than the obvious raingear, light clothing and sunblock?
>>
>>1051713
go to Malaysia and fight terrorist with the axe dude
>>
>>1051299

hey anon can you explain your lock trick? I don't really get what you do but it sounds interesting
>>
File: 71y4sGWf8fL._SL1500_.jpg (67KB, 1500x954px) Image search: [Google]
71y4sGWf8fL._SL1500_.jpg
67KB, 1500x954px
Hi /trv/,

Recently new /trv/er here. Amazon right now had a huge sale on Travel bags, gear & accessories.

I am looking to possibly buy some nice carry-on bags and maybe some of those vacuum seal bags so I can pack all my stuff nice and tight. Any recommendations? Going to start reading this thread now.
>>
>>1052311
has a huge sale*

Also this is for domestic US business travel. No backpacking or anything. Just wanna know if there's a certain carryon bag that is cool or whatever
>>
The Ikea Upptäcka is pretty nice, as you can split it into two smaller, roll it or just carry the whole thing on your back. It barely fits in the overhead compartments if I fill it to breaking point.

--- My list ---
Backpack: Ikea Upptäcka (looking for smaller option if I dont feel like lugging that much around)
Laptop: "Expendable" 12.1" Asus 1215n with SSD
Phone: Kyocera KC-S701 rugged phone (the 2015 version)
Mobile Internet: Megafon MR-150-2 4G router (rebadged ZTE)
CB: Baofeng UV-5R. I mainly bring it in case of emergency
Camera: Sony HX50V with built-in wifi and 30x zoom. Pretty smooth camera if you use instagram
Hat: Stetson Fedora ;)
Wallet: Cross passport wallet and some cheap on-body wallet.

If travelling by car i keep necessary stuff like blankets, MRE, extra water etc in the trunk along with a few spare parts for the car.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.