[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Moving to the Bay area

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

Hello /trv/
I have just received a job in palo alto and i am in the process of moving to the freemont/union city/hayward area. Does anyone have advice on neighborhoods? What is good and what is bad. I will most likely be moving alone looking for a 1 bdr apt. my salary is around 70K yr
>>
I'd stay away from Hayward -- a lot of parts are pretty scummy. Union City is better, and Fremont better still -- also Union City and Fremont are an easier commute into Palo Alto. Fremont has a high Asian population; there's a large Chinese grocery store there. You'll need to buy a car -- public transport from the East Bay to the Peninsula is a pain in the ass.
>>
>>1048354
how traffic? yeah i was thinking union city mostly. I just want to live there for cheap but stay away from the crime riddled areas.
>>
Airbnb is a great place to start if you are looking to meet others, travel around a bit, and get a cheap place.
>>
>>1048554

Traffic, yeah. From Hayward you'd take the San Mateo Bridge and then have to go on 101 South to get to Palo Alto. Traffic on both the bridge/freeway are a bitch during rush hour. From Union City/Fremont you can take the Dumbarton Bridge (traffic marginally less bad) and then get to Palo Alto on surface streets.

> live there for cheap but stay away from the crime riddled areas.

If you're really looking to save $, go a little south of Fremont. There's a town there called Niles. It's quite cheap, has an historic Main Street, lots of green, etc. Living there would probably add 30 minutes to your commute each way, but if you want to save $ and like peace and quiet, Niles is nice.
>>
>>1048347

Fremont and Hayward are not close to Palo Alto. If you have an 8-9 am start time you are looking a 2 hours of traffic for what should be a 45 minute drive.

Look into moving to San Jose, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, Cupertino, San Mateo, Redwood City or Mountain View. With a 70k salary you can afford to live somewhere nice; Hayward and Fremont suck.

Areas to avoid: Anywhere but south San Jose if considering San Jose, Oakland, Hayward. I have spent limited time in Menlo Park, but it seems shitty.

Most people who work in Palo Alto either live there, Cupertino, Sunnyvale, or Mountain View. If I had to pick one of those places to live I'd choose Sunnyvale. I live in SJ and work in Sunnyvale. I like SJ because it has so much to do, but Sunnyvale is night because it is quiet, clean, low percent of homeless/low income in comparison to other parts of the bay. Its boring, but there are worse things in life. I don't like Palo Alto or Cupertino very much. I find Palo Alto to be too tight and crowded, and full of rude, entitled foreign people that think they are hot shit because they work at Apple, but everyone within a 5 mile radius works at Apple so suck a dick.
>>
>>1048659
*night = nice
>>
>>1048659

Union City and Fremont are closer to Palo Alto than is San Jose, with correspo0ndingly shorter commutes. Menlo Park is very nice and quite expensive, and has a good downtown -- Menlo Park borders on Atherton, one of the richest towns in the US, so it isn't "shitty" as you say. You're probably thinking about Redwood City -- west of Camino it's OK to nice, but east of Camino it's little Central America. Lastly, rents in the East Bay are much lower than on the Peninsula; OP seems to want to save cash so this is something to consider.
>>
OP here
I think I'm gonna go with fremont. How is the area around near the hospitals downtown?
>>
>>1048665
Lol i grew up in redwood city. Its not really THAT ghetto, or atleast not a very big part of the city. I would love to live there again.

Op should just move to east palo alto for teh cheap and easy commute.

Commuting to peninsula from east bay would be a nightmare everyday, i would rather just live in a ghetto...

Remember that gas is expensive and you have to pay to cross the bridges...
>>
File: michaeljackson.jpg (11KB, 417x600px)
michaeljackson.jpg
11KB, 417x600px
>>1049604
>I think I'm going to go to fremont

Here's an idea, OP. Why don't you spend a weekend touring the area before committing to a shithole city.

Tip: Any place that has a bART stop is garbage.
>>
>>1049618

East Palo Alto is way more ghetto than Redwood City. I don't think the commute from the East Bay is really any worse than commuting from the Peninsula (the 101 really is a bitch during rush hour), but you're right -- coming from the East Bay you'd have bridge tolls to consider.

>>1049681
>Any place that has a bART stop is garbage.

LOL, bullshit. Walnut Creek is anything but.
>>
>>1049708
Exception to the rule. Name another one.
>>
>ITT: OP learns about bay area prejudices. Receives no answers.
>>
>>1049710

OK.

San Francisco -- not garbage.
San Bruno -- not garbage.
Berkeley -- not garbage (downtown is shit, OK, but up in the hills is really nice).

There are a couple of other OK places as well. Millbrae, for example, isn't all that exciting, but it is really convenient. There are of course some OK places in Oakland, too.

>>1049711

He's received plenty of answers, some of them quite useful.
>>
>>1049710
How about dublin/pleasanton.... Orinda? Lafayette?? Millbrae?? Some of the berkeley stops?
>>
>>1049708
Also i realize east palo alto is probably the most ghetto place in the peninsula. They bussed hella those kids out to redwood city at my high school...
>>
File: Drake-shake-rise-up.gif (2MB, 450x253px) Image search: [Google]
Drake-shake-rise-up.gif
2MB, 450x253px
>>1049724
>>1049723
>>
>>1049710
El Cerrito???
>>
File: justin.jpg (354KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
justin.jpg
354KB, 750x500px
"Los Gatos" means "The Gatos."
>>
>>1048347
I've lived on the peninsula my whole life (except for a stint in Santa Cruz), live in San Carlos currently, and work in SF.

Several people have said the East Bay is cheaper than the Peninsula. This is true, but not to the extent you may expect. In recent years prices have become quite close. Have a look around on craigslist or Zillow. East Palo Alto used to have the highest murder rate in the country, but has gotten much better. Still not a great area, and prices are pretty close to the rest of the peninsula.

Traffic is bad if you work 9-5. I work 6-2 and hit very little traffic on my commute, but the East-West commute starts to get bad if you're not on the bridge by 5:30AM. If I were in your shoes I would look for an affordable area on the Caltrain line, as Palo Alto has a Caltrain station, and this will make traffic a non issue. There are plans to build a commuter rail across the bay from Fremont to Palo alto, but this is a long time off. Affordable cities on the Caltrain line are: South San Francisco, San Bruno, and San Jose (parts of it are, if you look around).

I'm not sure what sort of raise you are looking at by coming to the Bay Area, but $70k is not a lot for the area. You will be lucky to find a studio apartment in the area that will cost you 50% of your income or less. My coworkers make $120-180k (unionised construction) and many of them live in the central valley (Stockton, Galt, Modesto, Lathrop, etc) because this is the 'affordable' place to live. I even have one coworker that lives in Arnold, a three hour one way commute with no traffic because of how much further his money goes.
>>
File: pft-browraise.gif (593KB, 332x184px) Image search: [Google]
pft-browraise.gif
593KB, 332x184px
>>1049893

did you know its actually the city of "The Town of Los Gatos"?
>>
>>1048347
Weighing in, used to live in Cupertino/San Jose/Milpitas areas.

Now living in SF.

I would recommend staying away from the east bay, commute is kind of a drag from that length. Neighborhoods around Cupertino/San Jose-non east are pretty nice. Cupertino especially is very suburbian, has many "good" schools and all around quiet. Went back recently and lots of trendy stores opening up recently what with the Apple boom. Can expect home prices to increase greatly. LOTS of asians around Cupertino area, and lots of Afghani people in I think Hayward.
>>
Oakland and Berkeley are actually really cool
>>
>>1050242

Really cool places to get robbed
>>
>>1048347
Learn to thizzle dance. Most commuters travel by ghostriding their whips.
>>
>>1050482
I don't understand a word of this. What language is this?
>>
>>1050489
Autist
>>
File: mysides.gif (2MB, 400x398px)
mysides.gif
2MB, 400x398px
>>1050482
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.