[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was sitting in a hostel kitchen, eating an omelette wrapped

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 4

File: 1440992209200.jpg (202KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1440992209200.jpg
202KB, 800x1200px
I was sitting in a hostel kitchen, eating an omelette wrapped around some olives and canned tomato, only slightly more difficult to make than a sandwich, drinking a tankard of belgian beer (the only tankard in the kitchen stock), holding my fork and knife in the formal style, fork in left hand. I got into a mild back and forth with an American, and he became convinced that I was French. It wasn't an accusation, he just couldn't identify my accent and seemed to jump to this conclusion based on my accessories. Usually people mistake me for being Russian. I'm actually quite tickled by this, as I usually am by bad guesses about who I might be. I enjoy not being understood.

Mistaken identity stories?
>>
You have a very strange way of writing. Reminds me of Murakami almost.
>>
>>1031196
while in Syria, people regularly chanted "Death To America!" while I was around. Me, being American, purposely mistook my own identity on these occasions, and told them I was from Chile.
>>
>>1031200
>Reminds me of Murakami almost.
Holy shit that's true.
>>
>>1031196
For me the first one that comes to mind was when a woman from the northern parts of London mistook my accent for a heavy Southern Californian accent, just because we were in SoCal.

I'm from Chicago. My accent is pretty distinctly Chicagoan.
>>
>>103119
I'm an American from a region with no pronounced regional accent, but I guess a lot of people think I talk funny--I've been assumed to be Canadian, South African, and English by a handful my less-worldly compatriots. I don't actually have any of these accents, I'm just slightly hyper-articulate and sometimes use big words.
>>
I'm extremely biased, given my thick (yes to the point of annoying) New England accent, but:

> fellow Yanks have thought I was a local Italian, while speaking English to me and me responding in English
> the Irish think I'm from NYC not the Boston burbs
> I interpret, maybe myopically, Southern California and Chicago as flat, newscaster accents
>>
Black American, was mistaken for African. Actually wasn't a bad thing.
>>
As the only well dressed american in amsterdam years ago, I kept getting mistaken for an italian. Even by some italians.
>>
I forgot to put on sunscreen over a past few days so I had a glow going on for me, travelled around Kansai region.
Old people kept striking conversation with me whether it be about the weather or how my day had been.
Well that's all I understood really, they would go on and on about something but I had no fuckin idea what they were saying so all I did was say yes and laugh.
Full retard mode activated all trip
>>
>>1031283
>African American, was mistaken for African. Actually wasn't a bad thing.

Fixed it for you.
>>
>>1031285
Me being well dressed was why I was mistaken for an African vice American. Was specifically told it was because I didn't wear sneakers and tshirts/baggy clothes.

This is me:
>>1031283
>>
>>1031295
But I've never been to Africa and would be a shade or two darker if I was pure West African, like the slaves.
>>
>>1031290
So they thought you were Japanese? What are you?
>>
I speak Polish and sometimes skype in hostels with my cousins or other family members. People always ask if I'm Russian or Serbian for some reason.

This one time in a hostel this couple said they made a bet on where I'm from, one said Canada the other Eastern Europe. I told them I'm both, I guess they had wild sex that night cause they both won the bet...
>>
>>1031285
>>1031296
why do Yanks do that when we travel? I'm normally in jeans and decent shoes with a polo, unless screwing or sleeping. Stateside I generally get away with an undershirt, jeans, and desert boots under the jeans
>>
>>1031300
Viet.
Majority of the tourists I saw were either Koreans or chinese people. Pretty obvious to spot them out, since they have prominent features.
>>
>>1031200
>>1031232
I'm surprised to hear that - I'm only passingly familiar with him, and I just write in the order that comes first to mind.
>>
I can't tell the difference between American or Canadian accents.
T. Irish
>>
>>1031334
Vietnamese, koreans, chinese and japanese are all fairly easy to recognise from eachother, especially i would think if you are from southern asia.
>>
An American mistook me for a Canadian.
Im Finnish.
>>
>>1031383
There's some bleed over, but among other differences Chinese round flatter faces, Japanese oval, least flat, Koreans angular.

But Viets, like Thais and Laotian can vary widely in how they look and have large numbers that look like all 3 to a degree, as well. As well as distinctly Viet. Not sure why Cambodia doesn't have the same. Rouge kill most of the lighter ones?
>>
>>1031196
Some old guy literally thought I was Obama.
>>
I'm an Australian who is often asked what part of the UK that I'm from. Apparently my accent isn't very aussie. I guess it makes sense, Australian accents are just dirtier Brit ones I suppose.
>>
>>1031240

>expecting somebody from a different country to distinguish between regional accents

America everybody.
>>
>>1031407
South Australian?
>>
>>1031415
Unless it's between a Texan, an NY nignog and some faggot with your average American accent, practically none but Americans would be able to distinguish.

It's like comparing British accents. Most peeps can tell Scottish/Irish (Not Scottish from Irish though) from chavspeak/Jafaican from cockney and from some absurdly thick northern accent (Say, New Castle or smin).
>>
>>1031323
I always wear all black sweatpants, all black T with white writing/drawing/etc. and all black, half opened (Depending on the weather) jacket with a white/grey undershirt. I always wear that unless it's a bigman ting I gotta attend.
>>
>>1031277
>Local Italian
Fucking how?

>Thick NWE
>In America
Practically none will understand you fam. I usually tone it down a bit and speak more slowly and clearly when outside, particularly outside the land of the English.
>>
>>1031380
Can't really tell the difference between Irish and Scottish tbh.

T. E8 chav
>>
>>1031407
It really is quite hard to tell a Brit (Less extreme North and less extreme London) from an Aussie (Generally no idea tbh).
>>
>>1031500
I googled it last night, but why/when did everyone start saying fam?
>>
>>1031637
Yeah what the hell does fam mean?
Is that from /b/?
Its all over the boards I frequent.
>>
>>1031462
West Australian. I've spent a fair bit of time on the east coast, and I've noticed people's accents are a lot more prominent than over here. Never heard a SAustralian talk though tbh
>>
>>1031637
>>1031653
Y'all are such neckbeards you really never heard fam used? It's not even new.
>>
Midwestern American here with Scandinavian ancestry. In the UK most people thought I was Canadian or Irish. When I went to the Netherlands I was variously considered either German or native Dutch. A lot of Italians thought I was British for some reason. Not one person that I talked to in over two months of travel could determine that I was American at first blush. I didn't volunteer any information as to my nationality and I didn't wear jeans or sneakers. It also helps that I look pretty innocuous (20-something white guy with brown hair).
>>
>>1031653
fam=bro
>>
>>1031715
>neckbeards
Is this what Californians call outsiders now?
>>
>>1031714
I'm originally from WA but lived in SA for the last decade, the locals here do have a unique accent which I'm told comes from the large amount German migrants a hundred years back or w/e
>>
Brit here (well, British accent and been living in London for ten years, I pretty much consider myself one by now). Outside of Europe, everyone seems to think I'm American. Probably the biggest English-speaking frame of reference they have.

I was born and raised in Australia, though, which nobody in the UK realises unless I tell them. I'd probably get mistaken for a native Brit if I went back to Aus, too.
>>
>>1031500
>Fucking how?
hell if i know. they said, in english, "sorry, we dont speak any italian" after asking me a question. my accent couldn't possibly be THAT thick
>>
I'm a Finn. For some reason, anglos often think I'm from northern Ireland. I don't have a typical Finnish accent, I have lived in quite a few places, so my accent throws people off.
>>
I was born and raised in the United States. Whenever I go out to parties or meet other Americans abroad, they tend to ask how long I've lived in America and where I'm originally from. People don't believe me when I say that I've lived in mid-Michigan for most of my life.

I guess I can see where they're coming from, though. While it certainly wasn't an intentional move on my part, I made friends with a ton of international students after finishing high school. My only American friend died about a year ago. I also lived in India for two years and work in a small office building that's occupied and staffed almost completely by Russians. I think I've gotten so used to having to adjust my voice that it's become a regular habit.

It's kind of annoying - I don't want to be one of those faggots who does study abroad in London for a semester and comes back with a permanent British accent.
>>
the weird thing would be if people recognized my language or accent...
americans think i have a dutch accent. when they hear my mother tongue, they're like "is this russian? turkish?"
the closest anyone ever got was this old cleaner at a mosque in bosnia, he thought i was finnish.
(i'm hungarian.)
>>
>>1032212
srs question, are you not white? that might be impacting the people who ask
>>
>>1031196
Chinese people think every foreigner is American.
>>
>>1032349

I am white. Like I said, people usually think I'm Russian or something. My biological sciences TA asked me if I was from Colombia when I said I had just gotten back from Bogota, and then expressed surprise when I said "I'm from here" after being asked where I was from.

But yeah, I'm white and have light brown/blond-ish hair.
>>
>>1032212
>>1032356
Hi Ryan :D
>>
>>1032380
I-is that you John??
>>
>>1032380

Who do I know that uses 4chan? :(
>>
>>1032455
Don't sweat it..The second paragraph of your first post is just you, you know?
On topic though, the fact you often speak in a Russian accent while at parties doesn't help your case. Your English, when you speak normally, sounds like an American though.
>>
>>1032474

Haha, I think it's getting worse. Maybe I just go full Pavrusski when I drink and don't realize it.

Is this Bartosz? I can't think of anyone else I know who might use 4chan and has been to a party with me.
>>
>>1032499
I was at his going away party, I've only hung out with you a handful of times. Starts with a J
>>
>>1032503

Oh, yeah, I've got you. Do you live in the same area? It'd be cool to hang out some time, but I thought Bartosz told me you lived pretty far off.

First time somebody has recognized me on here, shit, haha.
>>
>>1032506
I'm out in Holland. I'd be down to hang out, I wanted to go visit Bartosz but I either have to bank a ton of vacation time or quit my job and I haven't decided whether or not to quit.
Honestly, I never thought I'd recognize anyone. /trv/ is one of the better places to get recognized on though.
>>
>>1032212
>>1032356
>>1032380
>>1032411
>>1032455
>>1032474
>>1032499
>>1032503
>>1032506
samefag, also checking multiple dubs
>>
>>1032536

Yeah, I'd shit myself is somebody said "Hey Ryan" on /r9k/ or /b/ (not that I use either board very much these days, but still).

What do you do for a living? I remember talking about traveling at Bartosz's party, but I think we were all drunk for the better part of it. I won't be biased and say "quit," but I did meet a ton of folks in South America who had done just that. I'm getting more and more tempted to just go live on a fucking coffee farm after graduating.

Anyway, feel free to message me on Facebook.

>>1032544

Nah, we met at a mutual friend's multi-day going away party. I blather on and on about traveling when I get drunk, so I'm not TOO surprised that somebody who uses 4chan would recognize me.
>>
>>1032544
Jim?!
(I, at least, am not a fag of sameness.)
>>
I've been socially isolated for so long that I developed an accent/speech impediment of my own. So yeah, about 1 minute into a conversation, everyone asks me "so, where are you from originally?" even though I've lived in Calgary my whole life.
>>
Nobody in the World knows what a Latvian accent sounds like. Not even your average Latvian- you only notice it when you hang out with native English speakers a lot. So yeah, I've had a lot of that, ranging from Polish to Canadian.

Hey, whatever it is, it's better than people thinking you're Latvian.
>>
>>1032951
Dr. Doom?
>>
>>1032967
Would vote for him if I could.
>>
>>1032967
>Latvia
>Dr Doom

I make the same mistake but Dr Doom is actually monarch of Latveria.

And apparently is the ultimate benevolent dictator, to his own subjects anyway.
>>
>>1031221
Texas guy!!!!
>>
>>1031653
>>1031717
short form of 'family' afaik. used similar to bro, but with an african-american connotation rather than a fratboy one.
>>
>>1031653
Some fuckers are trying to popularize it.

It looks like shit tbh. At least "bro" is self explanatory. "Fam" just makes you go 'huh?'
>>
From New Zealand and no one except Aussies know where I'm from. Except for that one German guy who had spent a year working in New Zealand
>>
>>1031200
aka Japanese translated into english
>>
Some dude from France thought i was dutch.
I was misidentified on my passport as Hispanic.
When i lived in Scotland everyone thought i was dutch.
In Germoney everyone thought i was dutch.
Literally living in Canada right now, People think i'm dutch.

What the fuck /trv/.
>>
>>1031196
>be fat
>be white
>speak english
>in Thailand
>outside every market stall selling clothes: "Hey! Mr. American! We have t-shirt in your size!!"

I had a good laugh about it at the time.
>>
>American
>Long blonde hair
>blue eyes
>"Hi are you French?"
>>
>>1031380
Neither thing exists, really. That is, not one single national accent. Like everywhere, accents are regional, and there are many in the US. The standard 'News Broadaster' accent is native to northeastern US (but not New England or big coastal cities), and overlaps with central/eastern Canada a bit.

The standard Canadian accent (i.e. not Maritimes, and not the slow-talkin' hoser Rural/Northern/Abo accent) is different, but pretty similar to the American accent. TBH, I think only Canadians can detect it.

I'm Canadian (and I assume as with most Canadians) am asked 'where in the US are you from?' fairly often. Mostly from Brits, Aussies and Americans, as most non-anglos can't even place regional accents. It doesn't bother me, but what's funny is that Americans always think I'm from the other side of the US. I studied in a fairly international uni program, and there were several Americans. I made them try to guess where I was from in the first week. Two girls from Pennsylvania, one thought I was from Washington state, another from Illinois. Guy from California thought I was from New York, guy from Indiana thought California, and a girl from Wisconsin guessed correctly that I was Canadian.

Once we all knew each other better, they thought they could pick out Candianisms know and then. It's not immediately obvious though, especially if you're only familiar with the US accent.

As for non-anglos, their guesses to where I'm from are so completely random it's amusing. I've got Australia or Ireland a lot, but also Brazil (wtf?), Russia, Israel, Poland, Denmark, Estonia, Italy, and so on.
>>
>>1033834
What are some ways to tell the difference?

>>1034013
Change your shirt, stop wearing your KNVB jersey maybe?
>>
>>1034060
>The standard 'News Broadaster' accent is native to northeastern US (but not New England)
a pity
>>
>>1031415
No, dumbass, the punchline was that she was so sure it was SoCal, not that she couldn't tell it was Chicago.
>>
I was speaking to an American whilst I was in a hostel in Istanbul and after about 30 seconds the guy asks
"Where about in the states are you from?"
"Scotland".
Happened a few times and only with Americans.

Normally non English speaking nationalities think I am German which I think is because Scottish and German accents have a few similarities but I never understood why Americans thought I was a yank.
>>
>>1034060
Canadians are actually easy to detect if you have half a brain and listen for subtleties, there are certain words you guys stress so you don't sound like a stereotypical Canadian such as sorry and about. You try so hard to not sound like the stereotype that it ends up still sounding off.
>>
>>1035175
I know a Scot with what even he considers a very American Newscaster accent, and he says it's fairly common in the rural areas
>>
About me: I'm 22, italian, dreadlocks and a beard.

I will just list a few times my identity has been mistaken. Almost nobody can guess I am from Italy.

> The French, when I speak in their language, think I am Spanish
> When I speak in English people think I'm American (americans as well!) because of my accent. Fact is I haven't been once to the US
> Moroccans and Turks keep on thinking I am a local. Some Turkish kid even told me I look Muslim.
> A Croatian guy thought I was Brazilian. Made me laugh.
> I hitch-hiked in Hungary a couple of weeks ago and some people thought I was Syrian.
> In one day in Western Ukraine I was mistaken for Arab, Israeli, Indian and gypsy (a fellow gypsy thought I was one of them)
> A German guy in a petrol station once refused to pick me up because he thought I was Romanian.
> In Armenia I was asked many times if I was Iranian.
>>
>>1035306
>> Moroccans and Turks keep on thinking I am a local.

I'm French, and the same thing happens to me in your country. Every fucking time, even in touristy areas. At the Uffizi's ticket office, the cashier asked the four people in front of me which language they spoke in english, and they were all Italian. When it was my turn, he started speaking italian.
>>
>>1035188
Nope. That's just how people talk. No one is trying to modify their accent to avoid startling Americans or whatever, because no one (or the vast vast majority in any case) are neither ashamed nor given much thought to the difference of their accent to others.

It's only after spending 6 years out of Canada that when I come back, the accent (of some, but not all) seems so charmingly obvious.
>>
>>1035492
... Mike?!
>>
I'm Filipino but born and raised in Canada. Every time people ask me where I'm from, I say Canada. Then they always go "No, where are you really from?" then I think "fuck it" and say "Philippines". It's funny to me cause if they went to Toronto or Vancouver they'd see that being Canadian is basically anything.

The funniest one is when I was hiking in northern Philippines a group of old ladies stopped me on the trail stopped me and went "HELLO! ARE YOU GOING BACK TO YOU VILLAGE?" I replied with "... I'm not from here...". Her jaw dropped and their guide nearly pissed himself laughing lol.

The saddest thing is that they must have been fucking retarded. I had a dirt bike helmet in one arm, and technical clothes for hiking/the rain + nikes. Why the fuck would I be some poor kid going back to his mountain village hut?

>mfw All of SEA thinks I'm from their country but Philippines is the only one that treats me like shit. Thailand is easily the most bro about it though.
>>
>>1035676
you're not really Canadian, just so you know. :^)
>>
>>1035676
>mfw All of SEA thinks I'm from their country but Philippines is the only one that treats me like shit
Must be dark
>>
File: QZ8N2.jpg (56KB, 500x584px) Image search: [Google]
QZ8N2.jpg
56KB, 500x584px
>In England, most thought I was Spanish or Arab.
>In California (my home), most think I'm Mexican/Persian/Arab
>In East US, most think I'm Porto Rican
>Some even thought I was British (?)
I have brown skin, freckles, wavy black hair, prominent eyebrows, and Rhotacism.
I belong nowhere
>>
Yep, I was in Rüdesheim as a tourist, when these asians come to me asking me to take a picture with them because I am the most authentic looking german they've ever seen.
>>
>>1031499
pig disgusting slob, do you have poor social confidence or something nerd?
>>
>>1032200
wow that would be the most dissapointing person to drink with ever. You'd think they'd be charming and funny, but instead they will just be silent and look angry/suicidal with very little sense of humor.
>>
>>1035306
lol because of your dirty hair everyone assumes you're from a dirty country. Take a shower and cut the rat's nest from your head nerd
>>
>>1035678
flips are who we really hate
>>
>>1036557
Git outta my town!

[SPOILER]Not really though, did you enjoy the music instruments museum?[/SPOILER]
>>
I am Australian transplant living in America. The south no less. People around here are content in their little bubbles, the outside world is so far away. They often struggle with accents; I've been asked if I were South African, Welsh, English and even Canadian. Very few people can place my accent and when they do it is often a second guess.
>>
>>1031637
It started when /b/ found black people on twitter
>>
I'm half-white and half-east asian.

>in Paris metro
>suddenly a woman talking to me in Russian
>confused
>she apologizes in English "Sorry, I thought you knew Russian"
>30 seconds later, talks again
>"wait, where do you come from though?"
>I'm Australian, but I am also half-French and half-Chinese
>"Oh, I thought you were Kazakh, you look like us"
>then proceeds to chit chat around about Kazakhstan, she was really nice

In China, if I speak Chinese
>"Wow where did you learn Chinese? Are you Uyghur?"
>No, mom is Chinese that's why.
>"So dad is American? German?"

Also, recently in Austria.
>buy bottle of water in some alpine village
>guy asks me if I'm from Tajikistan
>No
>"Oh ok sorry"

Apart from that, people always think that I'm American.
Central Asians think I'm a Central Asian American.
Asians think I'm plain white American, very rarely German or British (when they're playing that guessing game).
White people in general think I'm either half-Native or half-Asian American.
I have a pretty light Californian accent, can't blame them. I grew up in California.

Now I want to go to Central Asia.
>>
>born in Turkey
>look European
>Turkish guy comes up to me, blows cigarette smoke into my face
>asks "hey, are you Japanese", in Turkish of all things
>I don't even remotely look Japanese
>mfw
>>
>>1031415

The difference between some American regional accents if wider than the difference between some European international accents
>>
>>1037906
>>born in Turkey
>>look European
because Turks are Europeans
>>
>>1031257
This here. Native south Floridian with no accent, but since I spent my childhood reading instead of talking, I seem to have some sort of special accent. I wish I knew what I sound like to others.
People often ask me if I am Canadian or Swedish, but if they're intelligent, they ask if I'm Russian.
But I'm just a generic Anglo-American.
>>
>>1031196
I blend in with certain types of Asian ethnicities, Im korean, hawaiian, Mexican, Somoan, thai, Indian, and very rarely does one person see that Im Native American. Story: I walk into a busy lodge at Yellowstone and instantly spoken Korean to by a couple of college kids, tell them I dont umderstand in English. Walk to the food counter, Indian dude serving speaks to me in hindu I guess, tell him too I dont understand. Eat my food and chill outside when a couple of Spanish speaking kids come up to me asking me for directions in Spanish, kinda understand and do so, ask me if I am, I say no, they joke around and go about. Then on the way out some chinese kid in English runs up to me asking if I am Japanese or Chinese, I mess around and say Japanese, he starts talking to me, I say sorry and awkwardly go about. Strangely its the homeless white person who knows Im Native American, maybe because my people are mostly poor and like to roam cities for a drink.
>>
>>1031200
Partially due to the first 60-70 words being about his meal.
>>
>>1037908
Please don't be stupid. They aren't, and even most Turks will tell you that.
>>
>>1037908
Turks are not Europeans, m8.
Turks are Middle-Eastern.
>>
>>1037908
>>1037908
>because Turks want to be Europeans

FTFY
>>
>>1037952
>>1037962
>>1037977
>implying Turks aren't European
>>
Whenever I travel in Asia:

Locals think I'm American.
Foreigners think I'm German.
Germans think I'm German.

I'm Danish.
>>
File: 1349603443812.jpg (18KB, 375x281px) Image search: [Google]
1349603443812.jpg
18KB, 375x281px
>from just outside London, England
>go to Toronto
>"so where abouts in Australia are you from?"
>>
I've been mistaken for a German by a Canadian
I'm an Australian that can't speak a fucking word of it.

Panzerkampfwagon
>>
>>1038063
enough trolling for the weekend, thanks.

>>1038277
>>1038280
Were they white Canadians? A lot of our immigrant brown/yellow folk are rather ignorant of the wider anglosphere.
>>
>>1038324
Nah, white Canuck from Vancouver said this.
>>
>>1038277
>>1038455
I got this in Whistler and Vancouver all the time. What part of Australia or New Zealand you from? I think that may be because there are so many Aussis there. I am from Scotland btw. On the east coast of Canada everyone guessed Irish or Scottish
>>
100 percent white European.

Been mistaken for Algerian, Moroccan, Syrian and Iranian.
>>
>>1031196
Was in an elevator in Primark in Birmingham, UK and a girl thought I was Spanish when I told her I liked her scarf. I'm white American.
>>
File: songofcanada604.jpg (210KB, 813x534px) Image search: [Google]
songofcanada604.jpg
210KB, 813x534px
>>1038277

I'll just say this: some London accents can sound a lot like Aussie.

That said, North Americans who aren't from British decent are incredibly bad at placing accents. My parents are from Scotland, and I have no trouble telling a Fifer from a Glaswegian or someone from the Hebrides.
>>
In Egypt, hawkers and touts always ask where you're from, I guess to make a friendly 'in' to get you to stop and listen and buy something. Sometimes they shout out "Hello Russian, yes!! Hey American!! Hey, Bonjour French, yes come!!" etc.

I'm from New Zealand (lol).

So I'd always make them guess, because they would never ever guess my country (happened just a couple times out of guessing from three dozen or so people, but never as the first five guesses, so it was just luck). Less educated people may not even know it all. Usually I was met with curious blank nods when I finally said it. Maybe they knew something about kiwis or LOTR, but rarely. The other half of the fun was just saying "yea, I'm from there" to random countries just to make it stop. Sometimes sarcastically saying yea I'm from Brazil (I'm pretty pale, freckles and light brown hair), South Africa or Peru. You have to be careful, because some guides and touts actually learn a number of snippets form the major languages (besides English: French, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, maybe Japanese), though it's seldom fluent.

>>1038459
>100% percent white European.
You mean Spanish, Greek or southern Italian or something.
>>
>>1038496
They don't sound anything like Aussie, I think.

>the Belgian is wearing a Turkish fez
kek
>>
>>1038611
Nope, 50 percent Irish, 50 percent French
>>
>>1036571

You can clean yourself but you cannot do anything to stop becoming a racist motherfucker.

Anyway, today some Senegalese bookseller told me I am African because of my skin colour. It's the second time this happens in a few months.
>>
>>1031415
Thanks dumbass. I'm not criticizing the woman. I didn't expect her to get my accent right. The premise of the thread is mistaken identity. Was that not a case of mistaken identity?
Take your blanket hate to /int/. /trv/ is for folks who actually like the rest of the world to a degree.
>>
>>1031196
I was at a bar in France and a bunch of aussies came up to me and asked if I was British.
I had overheard them throwing some shit around about Americans so I decided to play along and did my best british accent.
I ended up drinking with them all night and (at least from what I could tell) they all believed it.
Someone started doing an impression of a french accent and we all started doing accents.
I did an "impression" (lol) of an American. They all thought it wasn't that great.
Had a bit of a laugh over that.

In regards to my normal speaking voice though, I'm from washington state and everyone always asks if I'm from the south. I guess I have a slight southern twang I guess? Neither of my parents (or even any grandparents) are southern though so idk.
When I was in Italy a couple Canadians thought I was Canadian based on my accent also.
>>
>>1038960
>Canadians thought I was Canadian
tbh, the standard Canadian accent is usually not something you immediately notice, since there's like 90% overlap with a standard non-regional American accent. The difference is in some specialized vocab and a few minor pronunciation differences which you sometimes really have to listen for.

But I have a similar story to yours. While on a student exchange, I was in a bar in Germany with a friend of mine who is basically German-American. Born in Germany, mother American, father German, but lived in US since he was 8. Has no accent, speaks both languages like a native, considers himself American first and foremost. I'm Canadian. So we're in this bar, not a very touristy town at all, speaking English. Through the night a few drunk German guys come up to us to quiz us about our origins and want to chit-chat in English. Fine. Eventually, a very drunk guy comes and just sits down and asks us where in England we're from. lol. He says his girlfriend has a British (army) father, and he's been a few times, and indeed he has a slight of British accent to his English.

We ask him to guess our origins, one at a time. He guesses Canada within several tries (random), and America for my friend after a couple guesses. But the funny thing was, he doesn't believe us! He says "Nooooo, that's not what Canadian people sound like", and asks for impressions of Canadian accents (hello?), and despite what I tell him, asking HIM to tell US how Canadians should sound, showing him a couple ID cards, he just doesn't believe it. Insists I'm American too, or English. It wasn't offensive, more just 'wtf'. Since my friend's German is also flawless, he didn't believe he was American either and accused us of playing a trick on him. Then he tried to do an American accent to show us the how they sound. Ridiculous.
>>
>>1031415 To many Yanks, Chicago and Southern California are the same flat accent.
>>1038964 Once got told I must be an Irishman under similar circumstances in Newry. I left my passport in the hotel and was hitting on some chick who wouldn't believe I was an American even after I called a friend back home. She asked to see my facebook, but it didn't help because my name is Irish -- not anglicized Irish.
Thread posts: 122
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.