[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/SMG/ Scale Model General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 332
Thread images: 80

File: IMG_3534.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3534.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Not allowed to post progress pics edition

Previous thread >>6491566

This thread is for the discussion of scale model kits.
-Post photos of your builds in progress and your finished builds
-Have your builds critiqued or critique others
-Discuss tips and techniques
-Ask for advice or give advice to others

Some helpful guides to get started:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/1vf1aw7v91pz5pa/Airfix%20Model%20World%20Specia%20%28Scale%20Modelling%20Step-By-Step%29.pdf
http://www.scalemodelguide.com/
http://www.modelersite.com/en/area/98/scale-models-techniques
http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/model-tutorials-and-in-progs/

Have a question about a kit? Check out:
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/ and look for the review section.
>>
File: IMG_3544.jpg (147KB, 1600x1003px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3544.jpg
147KB, 1600x1003px
Did anyone order or plans to order one of pic related or the mkI? I was thinking of getting the meng one but as I don't care about the mk version and like them all I'm not sure if I should wait or get one of the meng versions
>>
>>6510145
I won't pre order it (is not an exclusive or anything worthy of that) as I have a ton of stuff in the stash but I might get one one in christmas, haven't build the meng ones but both should be good so I think the main point is choosing which mk you want I think.
Also who the fuck is t-rex studio?
>>
File: image.jpg (499KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
499KB, 2048x1365px
Almost unpacked from my move so I can start working again. So excited.

Pic unrelated but I do have it in the stash
>>
>>6510289
Whys that everyone moves in summer?
>>
>>6510345
Cause places hire? Idk. I applied for my job in march and it took 6 months for them to hire me
>>
>>6510345
School starts in september and people go live near uni.
>>
File: Viper Mk. VII.jpg (2MB, 3524x2096px) Image search: [Google]
Viper Mk. VII.jpg
2MB, 3524x2096px
>tfw you start building again after a nearly 5 month break

Sometimes I just lose all inspiration to build models, and then suddenly one day I start working again and can't stop. I was very tempted to buy a new kit and start from there, but I left this unfinished so I'm going to see that it gets completed before I move on to other kits in my backlog, like a Viper Mk. II kit I have.

There's still so much work to be done before I even start painting the exterior though, there's some very large gaps on the underside of the ship from gluing it together that need to be filled, and a lot of sanding to be done. I modified this quite a bit from the original kit, which to be honest is complete garbage with shitty tooling. I opened the air intakes, I used a complete overhaul photoetch cockpit, scratchbuilt my own ejection seat and made the cockpit open / closable via a hinge. I also scribed a few missing panel lines here and there. The landing gear bays were also basically bare on the original tooling, replaced it all with photo etch, and tossed the kit plastic and made much thinner, realistic panels for them. The landing gear too was also complete shit in the kits tooling, I reworked them significantly to give them more detail. All the little nozzle thrusters I made myself by drilling out the kit plastic and creating nozzles out of brass tube which I used a dremel on to shape / sand.
>>
File: DuckTrap.jpg (512KB, 1551x1092px) Image search: [Google]
DuckTrap.jpg
512KB, 1551x1092px
>>6505990
Sitting here with some free time, I'm looking at this thing again. I can tell you that if it were me, I'd do some rebuilding if I wanted to do the Duck Team. It's a decent base to build from and there's plenty of reference. The head is going to sell the characters as who they're supposed to be the most. Not that you should ignore the body. I'd thin out the radius of the boot a tad and work on improving definition.
>>
>>6505990
>>6510813
Painting faces is difficult and make them look good is hard as fuck, uncanny valley a bitch.
I had the chance to assist to a scale model exposition recently where a guy gave a 2 hour conference about how to paint small scale figures and god it's a different discipline.
>>
>>6511020
Sounds pretty cool. You got any highlights to share?
>>
>>6510696
Wondered when you were coming back
>>
My airbrush has gone from dusting models with already-dry paint to leaving them with a layer of wet paint that dries glossy. What gives? As far as I can tell, I can't use higher psi or it's far too much, I can't use lower or the paint speckles. I can't seem to achieve the fine lines I could beforehand; the needle is clean, and the paint is the same consistency.
>>
>>6509788
Why don't you like AK? Is the book worth it? Any good info/pictures regarding urban dioramas?
>>
File: IMG_20170902_160244.jpg (1MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170902_160244.jpg
1MB, 4160x3120px
Ah yes this is why I stopped building aircraft
>>
>>6511275
That and cockpits/canopies are why my aircraft are sitting on a shelf unfinished :(
(also the chipping fluid making paint peel thing...)
>>
>>6511275
Nigga, is that the Airfix kit? How did you fuck it that badly, it practically falls together
>>
Hi, I am looking for a new tank model to built and I am inclined towards either the Sherman (75mm gun) or Panzer IV (F2 onwards). What kits are good now? Searching on scalemates, I found a brand new World of Tanks Sherman from Italeri and hope it doesn't have some dumb gam0r decals with it and one form Forces of Valor in 1:72. I don't know that company, how are they? It's hard to find actual reviews for that stuff because it's usually in some tongue I don't understand.
As for the Panzer IV, I found a new model by Zvezda and a H variant by Tamiya.
Does somebody have experience with any of them?
>>
>>6511296
Yeah, falls together with half a milimeter gaps in places. I want everything to be smooth because it's gonna get a metal finish. Does anyone know of any decent putties? The Tamiya one I don't really like because it's not good to scribe on.
>>
>>6510696
Nice to see you back
>>6511242
A lot of stuff can affect this and you didn't even mention what airbrush you have or set up. From water in the hose to not tightening the nozzle right to relative humidity, a lot of stuff can happen anon
Also troubleshooting online like this is hard at best...
>>6511261
I don't like them for some dick moves they had with Mig, I don't say he's a saint as I don't know but what they did was rather scummy.
Apart of that so far the stuff from them I've read or used is quite good, the only things that disappointed me are the panzer crew painting book and the oils book. But they have really good modelers collaborating so gotta hand them that.
About the book it hasn't arrived yet as is weekend so monday should be here so I can't say yet but it's written by Rubén González and this guy is really good. There should be a urban diorama chapter I think as it's a really big book.
>>6511301
Are you asking in 1/35 or 1/72?
Anyway no idea about 1/72 but asuka/tasca has the best shermans as they autistically dedicated to that subject only, tamiya easy 8 is a reboxed tasca.
I did years ago the tamiya pz4 ausf H and it was fun but depending on what dragon is your only option really but be prepared for not so beginner friendly build, not impossible but I don't recommend it if you didn't even know about them. Forget italeri and revell unless you don't mind building shit or can't do better, similar with zvezda. I'm sure they have their market but that's up to you to decide and check individual kits on scalemates and google anyway.
>>
>>6511352
Tamiya also released their own model off an easy 8 not long ago. That should be a good beginer builg
>>
File: 23412312.jpg (216KB, 728x600px) Image search: [Google]
23412312.jpg
216KB, 728x600px
>>6511143
He used pic related, he was not sponsored but said it was pretty good.
Mentioned that you have to start with a darker color and paint the whole face on it, then pic a brighter one and do the same but leaving parts of the darker color exposed and so on. You are supposed to do these layers not only with the base colors but also using mixing them in different proportions in order to get a gradient of like 15 or more layers. The idea is that parts of the face like the upper lip, forehead, top of the cheeks and nose are bright while lower lip, bottom of the cheeks and neck under nose are dark and you create a gradient of color between them. He said that those bright-dark areas were out of experience but that a technique was placing the figure under an artificial light, and taking note were the shadows where, and use them as reference.
After you do that you gently blur the gradient lines with a filter, very diluted one.
Never use black to darken, but purple. I think he mentioned yellow for brightening, something about the color wheel and complementary colors.
>>
>>6511627
Did you actually payfor this? This is like beyond basic painting knowledge
>>
Is it possible to do good on your very first model or is it bound to be a fuck-up/learning experience?
>>
>>6511757
With the quantity and variety of learning material available nowadays you have a stronger starting point than someone 10 years ago for sure. But theres some things that you can learn just by watching and reading and others that are just plain experience, sure someone can be naturally good at painting X but if pitted against someone that has been painting X for several years it will look like trash anyway.
The general advice, as each fucking person is different, is that the first will be from subpar to a fucking disaster so don't have high expectations and use something cheap you don't fear to ruin, but up to you in the end
>>
>>6510145
I won't pre order it my dude takom and meng are fine manufacturers but you never know it might come out as a crap kit.
>>
File: IMG_1500.jpg (2MB, 2517x2364px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1500.jpg
2MB, 2517x2364px
Any bets on how much cheaper dragon kits would be if they learned NOT to include parts that aren't used on the vehicle. I thought the new jagdpanzer A0 or what ever it is was bad, but then I remembered my old porsche tiger prototype and being super salty over the wasted plastic I payed for.
>for anyone who doesn't know blue on the instructions means unused parts
>yes all of those are parts that aren't used in the kit
>>
>>6511324
Thin your fucking putty, man, you won't even need to rescribe
>>
>>6512142
Well, those sprues costed dragon some cents in raw material. The cost goes to research and engineering and then to moulds. If they can reuse it it's cheaper in the long run for them.
Anyway Dragon used to be one of the best bang for buck with metal barrels, PE and indy link tracks but nowadays is hard to justify paying +60 for their kits
>>
>>6512142
They wouldn't have as many kits then. the point of including all those unused parts is to have commonality with all the other variants, meaning they don't have to make new tooling for every single variant. A little extra plastic is cheap, a new set of tooling isn't.
>>
>>6512142
It would have cost you more if they weren't there
>>
Can some one give me a quick rundown on Zvezda's ba soviet armored cars and the GAZ trucks they have? I know zevezda at best is all over the place in quality and I can't find any reviews on the kits.i figure a truck and an armored car is to simple even for them to fuck up.
> if they are total garbo I'll just shillout for the hobbyboss kits
>>
>>6511275
A little coincidental here but I found pic related around the same time you posted
>>
can people with ADHD build scale models
>>
>>6512495
legally you are in fact allowed to build models in most western nations and a few eastern nations.
>>
>>6512474
https://youtu.be/DlNWxwtqjdc

One of the first modelling videos I saw
>>
File: 2472437.jpg (61KB, 700x515px) Image search: [Google]
2472437.jpg
61KB, 700x515px
>>6511275
>>6512144

Try Mr Surfacer 1000 or 1200 for thin gaps instead of putty. It's basically thinned putty.
>>
>>6512578
Not available in my country
>>
>>6512589
Do you live in the Gambia or something?
>>
>>6512596
Eastern Europe.
>>
>>6512631
Can you order from Germany?
>>
>>6512638
Shipping from germany is expensive
>>
Is there a place I could get some Iraqi airforce (previous) decals to put on my MiG-25PD model?
>>
>>6512678
https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?q=Mikoyan-Gurevich+MiG-25+Foxbat&fkSECTION[]=Kits&fkTYPENAME[]=%22Decals%22

I think I see Iraqi flags.
>>
File: IMG_3548.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3548.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Waiting for oils to dry is boring, little progress down as instead of doing the turret washes and for the tools I've been fucking around with making rusty plates as I have to put to good use this set. It was a gift but if there's some overkill set this is the one, with half the colors you could do fine I think and this comes from someone that did two filters and was set to put 4 kind of washes...
>>
File: IMG_3547.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3547.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>6512821
And the rust so far. Mixed pigments with water and some acrylics and made it pool around on top of dark rust color. I'll put some stuff more latter to get some variety
>>
>>6512821
>>6512825
Look great so far dude. Put that thing in a bombed out city setting and put a few Volkssturm next to it and you would have a great final days of the war feeling to it.
>>
>>6512842
With the GuP transfers I fear you'd get that doujin instead.
>>
>>6512842
Thanks, I'm thinking of putting some rubble on top with diy bricks (Paris plaster mixed with pigments and acrylics, dunno how will they look) smashed, if it looks good I'll do that.
Good thing about gup matches is that they include pretty varied environments.
No crew so far as I have no idea how to even paint them.
>>6512850
>I totally forgot about that thing
T-thanks anon, this is why we can't have nice things
>>
File: 61pmHvjSofL._SL1081_.jpg (119KB, 1081x713px) Image search: [Google]
61pmHvjSofL._SL1081_.jpg
119KB, 1081x713px
Is this the best 1/35 king tiger kit?

At 57$ it's expensive as fuck compared to everything I've built so far but it's got so many nice features.
>>
>>6512867
Best is a matter of opinion realy. If you want to do a king tiger with interior then yes it's also the only kt with interior parts out of the box. If you want a king tiger for just the sake of having one dragons older king tigers a good. And I know they are realy old kits (late 80s early 90s if I remember) but tamyia king tigers are good for the price
>>
>>6512867
Jus a few I can think of off the top of my head
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/105615-dragon-6254-sd-kfz-182-king-tiger-henschel-turret

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/129573-tamiya-35164-king-tiger-sd-kfz-182-production-turret

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1008063-meng-model-ts-031-sd-kfz-182-king-tiger

All of the kits a henschel turret versions and 1/35 scale but you have probably 40+ options on a king tiger kit. In my opinion king tigers look great built up and painted no matter the manufacturer if the kit is even halfway decent.
>>
>>6512867
I don't know if I would call it the best, I have in the stash the 505 abt version, which is the same but with molded in zimmerit, and I've build the ammo mig 105mm cannon version which shares a lot of the basic structure and some parts. I can only compare it to the tamiya one I build ages ago but I don't think they can compare out of the box.
This one has full interior which is a ton of work/value if you care about it, there's a version without interior too. The tracks are link type and the details really good overall so I can recommend it.
I have also checked the meng one on the store and looks okay too, they offer separately workable tracks and suspension and interior. It's cheaper if you only want the exterior and the rolled steel texture is really impressive.
You have several good options as there's ICM too (no idea about their quality tho) with a new king tiger, 57$ is a pretty average price for a 1/35 tank so this decision depends a bit more if you're up the task
>>
>>6512867
Meng's kit is expensive too, but it's an alternative to Takom's kit. Has full interior version as well.
>>
>>6511324
If you're looking for a harder material, you can try some 2 part epoxy putties. You might need to rough the surface a little for a better stick though. You can smooth it over while it's still soft by wetting your finger and rubbing over it. The water should prevent the putty from sticking to your finger and the swipe action would give it a surprisingly smooth surface.

Alternatively, you could use some cyanoacrylate and add it to the crack, then sprinkle some baking soda on top. If the crack is really large, go at it in parts, because the CA-Baking Soda combination can generate a lot of heat. Adding baking soda to the CA will accelerate the curing time by a lot though. Careful with the fumes.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (110KB, 1143x643px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
110KB, 1143x643px
Here we go boys, wish me luck. Any initial Advice?
>>
>>6513159
Did you buy because that yt vid from lester?
>>
>>6513176
I got it because of this vid. I don't think I'll have the skill to get it to this point but I'm sure as hell going to try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhbWGQ6o_mE
>>
>>6513198
Yep this one I meant, I slipped the name of another dude. If you just follow the vid, experience aside, you can do a decent job as he sorts out a lot of stuff
>>
>>6511644
No, it was a free conference he was one of the expositors. I am glad it is basic painting knowledge for you, you must be really wise.
>>
>>6511757
Most of this hobby is learned by experience, so if you are starting at zero well...
It's more like, don't feel bad if your first kit does not end up looking like the one on the videos.
>>
>>6512142
Tools are expensive, plastic isn't.

>>6512495
If you have to ask, probably not.
>>
>>6512657
Try putty with some drops of extra thin cement, is basically the same. Gotta be quick tho since it dries fast.
>>
>>6512821
Really like your oil work. What did you do? Dot filters?
>>
>>6513159
This kit doesnt even look good
>>
>>6513159
Get an aftermarket photo etch set, because Trumpeter kits are pretty low quality in 1/700 without them.
>>
File: RN-Roma.jpg (87KB, 1077x689px) Image search: [Google]
RN-Roma.jpg
87KB, 1077x689px
>>6513565
>>6513159
By the way, I'd recommend something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flyhawk-FH700280-1-700-Italian-Battleship-RN-Roma-Detailing-Set-for-Trumpeter-/371702934976

Beware that this is a large amount of work with this type of photo etch set, far more than the actual kit itself. I've used Flyhawk sets many times in the past and they're of really good quality in general.
>>
File: 7t49alkogrjz.jpg (549KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
7t49alkogrjz.jpg
549KB, 3264x2448px
Today on reddit:
>Weathering is easy
(in his defense it's his first model, but still...)
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (258KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
258KB, 1920x1080px
Anyone know where i could get some cheap 1/35 weapons that'd be good to mount on these?

I've wanted to build some 1/35 cars or trucks to sit next to my tanks and emphasize how big they are for a while, but i couldn't find any.
I would get the individual technical versions but >twice the fucking price of the two vehicles by themselves

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRLNBJ9
>>
>>6513652
You mean zpu, rockets and stuff like that to niggerrig in the bed?
Meng themselves sell an assortment of those if you fucking bothered to google it. Link related but they have more: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1006850-meng-model-sps-034-pickup-mounted-rocket-pods
>>
>>6513662
I said cheap.

>AA guns included in a 25 dollar kit with a truck and figure cost 25 dollars by themselves

Why are scale model prices so fucking retarded?
>>
>>6513602
Thats a hard fucking mode for a first build
>>
File: IMG_0217.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0217.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>6513602
No to terrible for a first time plus that look like a 1/72 or smaller kit so he probably didn't spend a fortune on it. His color choices are definitely a little off and everything thing looks flat and fake.
>i remember my first kit a tamyia king tiger didn't have anyway to take sprew off so I twisted it off by hand and used testors horrible tube based glue to put it on the model. Best off all because every german tank I ever saw in color was grey or silver I used cheap silver spray paint to paint the kt. I tried to striped the paint off using some chemical cleaner and it just ate into the plastic and made it either very brittle or made it very bendable depending on the part. Good times good times
>>
>>6513685
I didn't even notice select a picture put hey boys have a look at my old shitty models I guess
>>
What is the best way to adquire a full set of paint?
One brand that is inexpensive and is kind of good.
>>
>>6513682
>I said cheap.
Search them yourself then.
Also 25 for the pickups is rather unconventional as 1/35 shit usually is 40+ lad, also I don't know how familiar you're with the concept of "economy of scale"? If you want to customize like those aftermarket sets then pay as you want to that there or scratch build them. Or buy shit kits with bits you want and pray to god they don't look like ass.
>>6513685
Went there to check and that's meng 1/35 one, why does it look like 1/72 to you?
>>6513690
What do you mean with a full set of paint?
>>
>>6513690
Just get whatever colors you need over time, no need to buy full sets, but if you're into that companies like MIG / AK / Vallejo sell sets of paints for specific armies, such as wehrmacht camouflage depending on the year, or naval colors for certain types of ships.

Personally, I use Tamiya paints for pretty much everything and mix my own colors when the paints themselves won't suffice.
>>
>>6513695
i couldn't tell what it was with that color scheme and though it was a early/pre war jap/Chinese tank and I have only seen them in 1/72 or smaller. I notice it was a FT until I looked at it again
>>
>>6513695
>What do you mean with a full set of paint?
All the colors that I will ever need.
>>
>>6513704
>All the colors that I will ever need.
How could we know that?
>>
>>6513704
Bruh.... what are you planning to paint because some colors will be totally useless with some subjects. I would recommend buying the paints you know you need at the moment and then getting ones you need as you need them
>>
>>6513682
Lol
>>
>>6513706
>How could we know that?
No need to know. Isn't there any brand that sells a set with all the colors made by them?
>>
>>6513718
That's a rather weird approach but vallejo does that with suitcases of their ranges.
I also remember some special edition shit from ak that included all their paints too in a case but not sure it's still available.
Tamiya did once something like that too but I think it was a japan only limited edition crap.
Citadel (warhammer shit) does it too in christmas I think and in set boxes (expensive and shitty but you asked)
>>
>>6513718
I feel your screwing with us or your realy new to the hobby so here follow the link and find a set you like
https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Paint_and_Construction/browse.php?s=3&t=1&u=2
>>
File: DSC01560.jpg (4MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01560.jpg
4MB, 3840x2160px
rate please
>>
File: DSC01556.jpg (4MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01556.jpg
4MB, 3840x2160px
>>
File: DSC01555.jpg (4MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01555.jpg
4MB, 3840x2160px
>>
Too dark on the engine
Guns too bright
Otherwise pretty gud
>>
>>6513890
>>6513896
>>6513899
If it is supposed to look like it suffered an engine failure, crash landed and was abandoned then I'd say you did a really nice job.
>>
Is this a good kit for beginners?
>>
>>6513718
If you want to cover every possibility with just a single paint maker, then you'd better get good at mixing.
>>
>>6513890
Looks like there's silvering on the engine wiring. You might want to fix that if that's the case? The glass looks pretty cloudy. Overall weathering effects look good but possibly a bit overdone, depending on what you're shooting for? I was never really fond of guns just covered with gun metal. They typically have some kind of parking or bluing on them that will wear and I'd suggest painting the guns in a darkish variation of cool or warm grays and then maybe add just a bit of gun metal for wear if you want. Possibly some kind of patina before applying the gun metal (if at all), depending on what you're going for. Also graphite powder is an option.
>>
I'm looking for a product to duplicate some smaller parts of kits. I'm aware of blue stuff, but it seems to be unavailable here in the UK; does anyone know of an alternative?
>>
>>6514142
https://youtu.be/dNF5sic8WHo
>>
File: sbd2dauntless11.jpg (117KB, 800x354px) Image search: [Google]
sbd2dauntless11.jpg
117KB, 800x354px
>>6513918
>>6514063
People like you need to shut up, and look up references before typing shit, lol. He probably did not know, but even his artistic license is not far from reality.

Dauntlesses were super weathering prone, had multiple colors from touch ups, sun fading, etc.
>>
File: SBD_8-B-11_on_USS_Hornet_Midway.jpg (101KB, 652x526px) Image search: [Google]
SBD_8-B-11_on_USS_Hornet_Midway.jpg
101KB, 652x526px
>>6514359
I hope you fucking realise this is a colourised image.
>>
File: Image-01.jpg (98KB, 652x505px) Image search: [Google]
Image-01.jpg
98KB, 652x505px
>>6514374

I fucking hope you realize that's a brand new Dauntless. Also, learn how photo colorization works.
>>
>>6510067
>using my pic as the OP
:') ty m8 not even a regular here and was surprised to see it in the catalog
>>
>>6513896
>>6513890
>>6513899
The colors look a little odd but overall good. Which kit is it?
>>
>>6514248
Its definitely available in the UK
>>
>>6514142
Solid kit Dagumi
>>
>>6513685
Are you Australian?
>>
File: IMG_3818.jpg (1MB, 2250x1500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3818.jpg
1MB, 2250x1500px
Guy who tries building the Spitfire Mk. V with the Revell kit here.
So far it's going.. well? No, can't say that. Bad? Can't say that either.

Anyhow, I managed to assemble the plane, though I noticed that I could use clamps. Then I went straight by instruction but overlooked that I should paint the underside before adding the wheels... At least I didn't add the tail wheel yet. The canopy is completely fucked up. I tried painting it with the brush, but bad eyesight + shaky hands with a brush is a bad mixture. Rubbed some off and tried again with a fountain pen I dipped in the paint. This seems to work better, but I have to experiment a bit more in the future.
Since I only have three colors, I also just painted the wheels in the darker grey. Also I fucked up when I cut them from the sprue, but since this will stand anyways, I said fuck it.
I also fucked up the filling between the wings and the body. This is much harder than working with mortar.
The lighter brush strokes are just paint that hasn't completely dried yet.

Anything else I forgot?
>>
>>6514248
green stuff
>>
>>6514461
Accurate Miniatures
>>
>>6514248
Can't you just order some internationally via ebay / amazon?
>>
>>6514773

Import taxes can be fucking crazy in the UK if I am not mistaken.
>>
Got a primer coat on the viper mk. VII. Going to add an aluminum base coat on top of it and do some pre-shading that will form a base that I can do some light chipping from using chipping fluid.

I've taken a lot of liberties with the accuracy of the kit itself, such as all the maneuvering thrusters I've added as well as cockpit which I couldn't find any good photos / renders of anyways. No idea what shade of metallic blue I'm going to paint for the main color either, just going to do with whatever I think looks good because getting an accurate color will be too much of a pain.
>>
File: Primer.jpg (554KB, 2145x1431px) Image search: [Google]
Primer.jpg
554KB, 2145x1431px
>>6514811
posted wrong picture
>>
>>6514462
I've yet to find anywhere that stocks it. Any ideas?
>>
>>6514977
If you search it on eBay you'll find a Spanish seller that ships it for a reasonable price
>>
>>6513602
>slather on wash
>don't clean it up

Literally everything else was fine
>>
>>6513502
In that pic there were a lot of previous steps to get like that. Here you have the build log I'm doing: https://imgur.com/a/asqgu

About oils it was a oil dot and then (just waited a bit, not the 24-48h needed to cure so it blended a bit with the previous colors) with a bit of buff and a mix of orange-yellow-brown I did very subtle dust as a base for later. If you do it more noticeable you can use it to make all the dusting but it's quite risky if you put too much as cleaning up oils is a hard task.
>>6514814
I have no idea from what is that but I'm sure all the hull is not aluminium color so better put some other colors so you get some variation on the chipping and it doesn't end looking like you just dabbed silver paint on it. Even if it's all silver metal mix some other metallic shades with the aluminium base on the go on the cup and get some variety, it will be more interesting and it's quite fun to do stuff like that. Btw did you finish the naiad?
>>
>>6515006
I don't think that's even a wash, more like mud as it's smeared everywhere
>>
File: HMS Naiad.jpg (2MB, 3000x1746px) Image search: [Google]
HMS Naiad.jpg
2MB, 3000x1746px
>>6515007
>I have no idea from what is that
Viper Mk. VII from Battlestar Galactica, great sci-fi / drama tv series if you've never seen it.

As for the chipping I'm going to do VERY light chipping, nothing severe, just a few spots here and there, and once I'm done I'll blend everything together with some blue oil paints / washes to tone down the silver color.

>Btw did you finish the naiad?
Yeah, I did end up finishing it a few months ago, it was the last thing I worked on before the Viper Mk. VII. (pic related). Still haven't built a proper display case for it... never got around to it.
>>
File: Aluminum base.jpg (704KB, 2367x1578px) Image search: [Google]
Aluminum base.jpg
704KB, 2367x1578px
Here is the base aluminum / silver color, going to let it cure overnight then do some preshading using a dark blue / gray and other shades of blue.
>>
File: kg_cg_viper_mk7-011.jpg (217KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
kg_cg_viper_mk7-011.jpg
217KB, 1280x720px
and here's some original concept art from Battlestar that I'm going to base my build on, only with far less chipping and lighter battle damage.
>>
File: 20170904_234311121_iOS.jpg (952KB, 3264x1308px) Image search: [Google]
20170904_234311121_iOS.jpg
952KB, 3264x1308px
Now I'm thinking what to do next, I don't want to wether this one much but I wanted to do some mud. Not having a clear theater of operations is a pita when doing weathering so I think I'll put some pigments to make dust on the flat surfaces and some mud and dry splashes for now.
I'm thinking of trying to reach to whoever is in charge of gup designs to see if he can fucking give some idea about the azul crews as I feel it needs a qt animu grill on it
>>6515034
>>6515040
If it's subtle chipping then it's not much of an issue I guess.
I really liked the naiad due the scheme and a look (there are some ugly ass ships out there) but mostly the name. If I ever do a ship I'm thinking of the rn roma that some anon posted earlier or this one
>>
>>6515061
Italian ships are neat, the hulls are green instead of red like most other Naval vessels, and you get those neat identification red / white stripes on most of the ships as well. I agree about the Naiad as well, part of the appeal (aside from Flyhawk's excellent molds / details) was the camouflage scheme.
>>
>>6515061
I would give it a medium dusting and a decent mud layer. From the look you gave it it looks like has been in at least a few battles ( the kill markers, the scratches, and what looks like a mark on th front plate ) I would go for a moderate amount of weathering like a few weeks or so in the field.
>>
What do you think boys. I feel like building some ancient slavic tank technology.
http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/soviet/soviet_T-12_T-24.php
http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/soviet/soviet_T18.php
>leaning towards the t-18 mod27 and the t-12
>>
>>6515034
Is that an IJN cruiser in the background? Is it the Ashigara or another ship?
>>
>>6515068
One thing that worries me is trumpeter engineering, I can deal and solve stuff in armor and their newish stuff until today is great so I have them in high regard there but is such small things I'm not so sure. I vaguely remember your building of the naiad and I was hugely impressed but the molds and engineering
>>6515082
I agree, here you have my "little fanfiction" based on what info I could get abou tthe azul school:
As they like to try to upgunned stuff and like to break the enemy lines they managed to get their hands on a prototype 105mm henschel turret which was strapped on a late war hull along some modifications that were found with the turret, 1 hit kills on almost anything mounted on a armored package sounds pretty sweet.
This took a heavy toll on their already small budget so unless it's a major repair they leave it be until the end of the matches season where it gets squeaky clean again. One tank can't make much difference in the end so when they get eliminated of the competition some units volunteer to form ad-hoc groups fighting for kuromorimine school (nod to the the real divsión azul) as reinforcements.
Well, all this only justifies the wear but due the varied nature of senshado matches it gets hard to decide what to do.
But some dusting and mud is really generic and will look good, I can go back to this later anyway.
>>6515106
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1021830-hobby-boss-83887-t-12-medium-tank
https://www.scalemates.com/topics/topic.php?id=4863
Both subjects have recent kits from hobbyboss so it's not as fubar as the trip to resin town I thought you would had to take. In my humble opinion only a mother would love those designs but they have some wacky charm to them. The SU-18 arty looks pretty cute tho. I say go for the t-12 for the rarity of it.
>>
>>6515107
Myoko, Hasegawa 1/700, never finished it.
>>
File: IMG_3456.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3456.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Roast me.
>>
>>6515128
Hey man what's the point of making a model if you don't give it character. I always imagine a story behind the vehicle when I build one.

I love those old pre and early war designs and anything with big ugly rivets in it something about the out dated and ramshackled fell of them. probably gonna get both the t-12 and t-18 but not for a while. Don't like having more then 3 kits in the stash at once or I fill like I'm never gonna build it
>>
>>6515156
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0-fi-VmQKPI

Good shit best ive ever seen my dude
>>
>>6515128
I was pleasantly surprised by the level of detail on Trumpeter's 1/700 Prinz Eugen kit. They'll probably never get to Flyhawk's level but if you get a decent PE set to go with it I don't think you'll be dissatisfied.
>>
File: IMG_3462.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3462.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>6515156
Second one. Chevy Corvair, rear engine and independent suspension. These were dubbed "unsafe at any speed" due to the inherent nature of the suspension to fold in on itself.
>>
File: 20170905_025733.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170905_025733.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Currently working on a diorama. Dont really like the way the trees came out but I thing its decent.Still need to pour the river and work on the bridge. Should i paint it or stain it?
>>
>>6515664
Some of you might clearly see where I took insperation
>>
>>6515670
Australia?
>>
>>6514977
Use the fucking internet
>>
Just moved to an apartment with carpet. Used to build/paint on tile which was much better. Is there like a giant rubber or plastic mat I can put down under my bench to catch paint drops and small pieces? Looking for suggestions
>>
>>6514636
Nice. Been eyeing that one for a while

>>6515007
If you made a video channel with this kind of work I'm confident you could get a small sponsorship/free shit from companies
>>
>>6515774
You can use carpet protectors that are designed for roller office chairs
>>
>>6514248
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oyumaru-Reusable-Modelling-Compound-Assorted/dp/B002P6PWN2
>>
>>6515785
Perfect. I knew what I wanted I just couldnt think what they would be called
>>
>>6515770
What do you think I'm doing?

>>6515788
>Japan
>>
>>6515810
>not living in Japan
>>
>>6515756
What
>>
>>6515810
Unless you need it right away what's the problem? Or you could just buy Blue Stuff from >>6514991, would probably arrive within a week considering it's coming from an EU country.
>>
>>6515664
Potato quality and upside down. It's like your competing for the worst pic ever
>>
File: 20170905_130402679_iOS.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170905_130402679_iOS.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
The ak stuff is arrived this morning, I'm checking the paint sets before opening the huge ass diorama book. https://imgur.com/a/XEcYS
>>6515336
>>6515156
Dunno if you're serious anon but they need some work. Also I always think when I see your garage that something is off, like it needs something that unifies the elements inside like dust or something.
>>6515664
That movie about a pow camp in the pacific theater? They hold off the japs in a similar bridge I think
>>6515778
:3. So far I like being an "independent researcher" (fancy self appointed title but leave me be) and buying myself the stuff I want to try, I wouldn't mind free shit, like everyone else, but for example I would prefer paying for an early release of something rather than a random set of weathering enamels or something like that for free.
I also lack the patience to edit vids, for some reason editing video or making videos is something that always puts me off.
Anyway thanks anon and hope you find useful the build logs.
>>6515810
Jesus Christ anon, here you have the shop of the ones making it: http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/26-reusable-blue-stuff#
Or order from them on ebay as I think the seller >>6514991 mentions are them.
There's the oyomaru(?) stuff too but that one is more expensive and you need to order from japanese sites or ebay or amazon.
>>
>>6515904
>it's a big book
For you
>>
File: 20170905_153618134_iOS.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170905_153618134_iOS.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>6515904
Painting on paper is weird as it absorbs the water really quick but you get an idea. Both sets are really similar desu. Kinda curious how the US Vietnam set uses WWII german M-44 colors but a color is a color so whatever. I think the waffen set has more value for having more "different colors" (duh) and if you add the 3112 desert uniform you could paint skin with it (3061-3062-3112). I grabbed them on a sale and knowing that the colors where pretty similar (kinda the point I wanted to test buying them) but it's true that also the different tones and shades is what gives precision and quality to paint works so have that in mind too.

More importantly that rambling about shades is the application, never used ak acrylics so I didn't know what to expect. The bottles don't come with a mixing ball. They are quite thick, similar to vallejo but also new paints tend to perform worse than a half empty one (bro-science research but that's what I experienced so far). All paints were thinned with one dip in water of a 0 brush on one drop of paint. The ammo mig resedagrün behaved the best and has a really good finish but it’s satin, Vallejo and ak are really matt colors.
Color comparison (waffen set vs Us Vietnam set) on how bamboozled you could get:
3066 vs 3143 = same color
3063 vs 3024 = same color
3065 vs 3025 = same color
3062 vs 3075 = different enough to be considered not equivalent but a bit of mixing you could get each other
Set specific:
Waffen: 3061 “waffen spring/summer base”
US Vietnam: 3023 M-44 dark spots and dots WICH IS THE SAME COLOR (98% ON THE PAPER) AS THE 3064 WAFFEN GREEN BLACK
Shared in both sets: 3064 “waffen green black”
Note that when I say “same color” it’s not exactly the same color but one that with washes and dirt on top would look the same.
If I was on a budget and wanted one of these get the waffen one or the individual colors better
>>6515911
Inevitable I guess
>>
File: 20170905_161938735_iOS.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170905_161938735_iOS.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>6515952
And the book index. So far I've read I and II, the first one is just a page about ideas but the second part, although more theoretical stuff (if you can consider theory that), is really interesting as he shows composition in different types of bases and levels, focal points and stuff like that. Pretty interesting so far and worth the price imo.
If you want to see some chapter ask.
>>
>>6515991
Rubble and puddles, please!
>>
>>6515991
could you jungle
pretty please
>>
>>6514248
What kind of parts are you looking to duplicate and in what quantity?
>>
>>6515991
Posters would be interesting
>>
Fuck this a long and unwieldy book, also note that each chapter is kinda cumulative in knowledge and stuff so some things that appear have already been talked in previous chapters or at the beginning that has like a some generic explanation (that's how you get to 560 something pages). Taking pics of the chapters don't really do justice to the book but with some google and common sense you can close the info gaps or ask again.
>>6515996
https://imgur.com/a/9Q7W3
>>6516005
>20 pages
Aint gonna do that nigga, choose between "tropical palm", "tropical tree with vines" imo the most interesting and extensive or "vertical garden" which is a vertical bedrock with vines and shit, "vegetation base" which is pretty small and just notes how to arrange previously done vegetation.
>>6516012
https://imgur.com/a/VrRhi
>>
Do you people have any tips for manipulating and bending plastic with boiling water?

My problem is that to make some curvy shapes, I bend and held the _test pieces_ of styrene under boiling water in 10 minutes into the shape I wanted, but the stress marks won't go away.

I then un-stressed the plastic by removing the shape forming stuff and letting it reform in the water.

I then re-boiled it and bent it, then re-boiled, but the stress marks wouldn't go away.

What am I doing wrong? How do you people do this properly at all, because I tried it over candle flame and it was a total crapshoot to gauge the temperature.
>>
Cars vs Tanks vs Airplanes vs Ships

What should I build in order to totally not make people think that I have some sort of mental disability.
>>
>>6516058
Cars>airplanes>tanks>ships
>>
>>6516058
Build Indy and NASCARs for maximum normie cred
>>
>>6516058
>What should I build in order to totally not make people think that I have some sort of mental disability.
As in shit results due difficulty or the subject itself?
>>
>>6516058
>this fucker again
just build whatever you want, without acting like a mentally disabled person, you massive tool
>>
>>6516058
>in order to totally not make people think that I have some sort of mental disability.

They'll figure that out long before they see your model kits.
>>
File: Pre-shading.jpg (1MB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Pre-shading.jpg
1MB, 3000x2000px
Pre-shading done using xf-17 sea blue, going to use different hues of blue on different panels to give it some color variety, then use a base coat mixture I made using XF-23+XF-18+XF-8+X-13+XF-2 in a 2:2:1:1:6 ratio. It's a complex mixture, but I think I got pretty damn close to the color I wanted the viper to be, based on a prop paint chip I found online. Once that's done I'm going to spray a bit of chipping fluid here and there, mostly around the cockpit and the engine intakes to do some chipping / fading later on.
>>
File: Base color.jpg (2MB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Base color.jpg
2MB, 3000x2000px
This is the base color I mixed, just testing it out on the rear panels to see if it looks alright. I honestly don't know if it's too light / too dark, but I like the color so I'm just going to go with it.
>>
File: Pre-shading 2.jpg (2MB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Pre-shading 2.jpg
2MB, 3000x2000px
Not sure how effective this is going to be, just trying something I've seen other modellers do to break up a monotone color by shading panels different colors.
>>
>>6516007
DShK HMG, two or three.
>>
File: Base Coat.jpg (965KB, 2415x1690px) Image search: [Google]
Base Coat.jpg
965KB, 2415x1690px
Pretty much finished with the base coat, the color looks kind of strange in the photo, but it looks much better with my own eyes. It's relatively close to what I imagined the Mk. VII color to be at least. Going to let it cure overnight and then do a gloss coat to prep for weathering / decals tomorrow.
>>
>>6516602
Do the precolored panels show through?
>>
>>6516633
They do kinda, up close, but I think I need to do much lighter coats in order for them to show up better next time. It's more noticeable on the lighter colored panels though.
>>
>>6515034
Lol. The water looks like hotglue.
>>
>>6513896
doesn't look real.
>>
so if primer reveals flaws and stuff, how do I fix them after I got the primer on? do I just strip it away and then fix it and spray another coat or what?
>>
>>6516827
Sand/cut/fill/whatever and then airbrush some primer on the affected area and carry on
>>
I'm interested in putting nose art on a robot. Does anybody have experience with nose art on model planes or tanks, or a guide made by someone with experience?
I really love the old shark teeth designs.
>>
>>6516435
In 1/35?
That other person didn't mention it but Oyumaru is the same stuff as Blue Stuff and Instantmold. Oyumaru is cheaper too.
Anyway, it might be tricky pressing the barrel, so I'd be careful and do a little planning and testing first.
If it doesn't work out, you can try using a latex mold. It's a little messier and it's not reusable but it should get the job done. You won't be able to cast using a 2 part putty though, and will need to use a liquid resin. Latex and liquid resin should be available at local art stores.
>>
>>6516435
Lmao are you that truckfag? I shouldve known you would be bitching about blustuff in England because you're a fucking retard
>>
>>6517196
>on a robot
Ma.k???
Anyway do you have the decals or you need to do them?
I suppose that the decal application question per se anyone can clear it and yt will do a fine job too.
As for doing them yourself I recently did some for my tiger so I could help there, but also it's not really hard
>>
>>6517314
Nope.
>>
>>6517300
1/48. I've never done any kind of casting or sculpting past the basics before, so latex stuff is my last resort.
In any case a friend has revealed he has a few bars of blue stuff, so I'll try and pinch it off him.
I've had negative experiences ordering from spain before, hence my reluctance to do so.
>>
>>6515991
How much did that tome cost you? The stuff you posted looks pretty good
>>
>>6516050
What do you mean by stress marks? Boiling water won't work well on certain types of plastic..
>>
File: 20170906_062141125_iOS.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170906_062141125_iOS.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Finished more or less the hull, I still need to do the front and back and some detailing and clean up stuff on the flat top.
The turret got some light streaking to break a bit those huge surfaces and will get some light dust and that's it. The hull gets more shit but these tanks are pretty high and the turret is easy to clean so that will do.
My idea, for the environmental weathering, is that this is just after a big match after rolling around in a rather intense and long match, it won't get as dirty as a tank in a real several days deployment but they get dirty pretty fast anyway.
>>6517366
Bought it because it had a 20% discount so it was 63,20€, regular price is 79€ which is quite expensive for a book but this one is a big handy book. I think it worth the price if you're seriously planning a diorama(s) and want to have a solid base as it covers a ton of stuff and the explanations are great to follow. From there you can complement that with other resources and do great stuff without needing years of trial and error.
If you're just mildly interested in dioramas and feel that those 80€ would be spent better elsewhere I recommend the yt channel of ak that has some vids by the author of the book, they show how to use their products but isn’t that hard to extrapolate it to alternatives.
Now, I certainly wouldn't bought it for retail right now as it will be some months until I get stuff prepared for making dioramas, even if I value knowledge and reference stuff over kits I think that's too much money for something that will sit a lot of time on the shelf.
Put those 80€ in perspective, you can buy a nice kit and a few paints for that money that will keep you entertained for months or spend it going out one night, the book will last more than that for sure so in the end it’s up to you.
This was a rather long post for a response that could be done with 6 characters but I want anons to make informed decisions as far I can help it or at least to think about it a bit
>>
File: 20170906_173802897_iOS.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170906_173802897_iOS.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>6517425
Further work with enamel mud and a bit of oils. Now I have to let it dry but at most some wet effects in the tracks and some oils and fuel spills as I shouldn't get carried away weathering it too much. The premade muds and splashes can be mixed with other enamels so you get some tones from the stock ones which is really nice for small splatters or different colors.
The turret will probably look out of place now tho.
>>
File: 20170906_210756.jpg (363KB, 1275x718px) Image search: [Google]
20170906_210756.jpg
363KB, 1275x718px
Right, so "panel"lining the sails on the Vasa looks like it'd be best done with a mix of Tamiya buff and white. Still no Tamiya white to be found anywhere in town. So I thought I'd start on the rigging a bit. And checking the instructions I'm supposed to do most of it before the sails are up anyway, so why not.

Bloody hell this is fiddly. That EZ-line I used for the USN Charette was a bloody miracle, doing it with actual thread is a completely different thing. Doesn't help that this thread will happily phase right through solid matter, including itself, in order to instantly undo any knot that hasn't been secured with some glue or varnish. Turn your back and boom, it's come undone.

So don't expect the "advanced rigging" here. I would not survive that.
>>
>>6517614
Looks pretty good, but why not use regulr scale rope?
>>
>>6517640
I'm using the piece of string that came with the kit. Hopefully that's mostly to scale.

A tip if anyone else ever does this bastard, put the rigging up before you glue on the rope ladders. Of the six on the lowest rung five have come loose on at least one end so far.
>>
>>6517369
Stress marks?

When you bend a styrene sprue and you see the curve turn white.
>>
>>6517316
Is decals the normal option for this sort of thing? Painting won't look as good, I'm guessing?
>>
>>6512867
Meng's is better.
>>
File: 20170906_201956144_iOS.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170906_201956144_iOS.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>6517511
And the finished hull, went from "light dusting with pigments" to "escape from the halbe pocket" one color at the time... gotta stop listening to sabaton and shi tlike that while working on this stuff. Anyway it has a rainy autumn day look, up to people to judge. Ended too beaten perhaps for a day long match between little girls but in my humble opinion anyone can paint and put some washes and call it a day, arguably oils and some chipping too, but the real fun starts in mixing 6 different enamels and pigments and trying shit on the go
>>6517768
How big the thing you want to paint is? Decals are the standard as the complexity and clarity of the markings can't be achieved freehanded (try doing the stencils on a plane by hand for example).
>>
File: Gundam NT1 Full armor.jpg (64KB, 580x511px) Image search: [Google]
Gundam NT1 Full armor.jpg
64KB, 580x511px
>>6517877
I wanted to apply nose art to the legs on this guy and attempt to paint him as one would paint a model plane. I don't have any experience painting anything but gunpla, though I have built a few small military kits. I just don't have any interest in the planes or tanks themselves, but the techniques used on them.
>>
>>6517885
For the classical sharkmouth (on the legs?) you can mask and paint. Fiddler stuff will probably require decals.
>>
>>6517897
How do you think I should go about the process of painting? Mask the area after priming, use a spray can to lay down a base coat then mask further and hand paint, or just all hand painting?
>>
>>6517885
I just put the stencils example as in something that's impossible to freehand no matter how good and why decals are common in military kits, for techniques you came to the right place.
I would recommend grabbing a transparent decal sheet for inkjet (or laser if you have a color one) and printing them yourself. Have in mind that you can't print white at home unless you have some expensive ass printer so have that in mind in your project, there's white decal paper too but then you will need to cut the decal with precision or blend it with paint the white parts. You will need:
>PC
>Image editing program, paint will suffice of course
>The graphic you want to print, google is your friend and select three or four and test them as you never know until you see it there
>A printer
>Transparent decal paper that matches your printer
>Ink glue, I used this on mine http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MD&Product_Code=MI-12&Category_Code=FINPROD but testors have some in spray too.
Then print some tests on regular paper and modify stuff until it suits you and then print them with the decal paper. Airbrush the setting solution, wait an hour or so and cut them as good as you can.
Here's the build log of my current build where I made some decals https://imgur.com/a/asqgu, scroll to the middle and you will see the process. Another anon did some too and you can watch on yt how to do this too I think.
>>
>>6517877
LOL! You just exagerated. Also tt doesn't look like mud, but instead looks like as if you left it next to a bacon fryer for over a year.
>>
>>6517909
Hasn't dried in the pic yet, also everything looks orange there for the light. Tomorrow we'll see the result
>>
>>6517908
Thank you, I'll save this and the imgur link for later, though unfortunately I need to get ink for my printer, among other things.
>>
>>6517905
None of that. If you want to do a complex paint job, you need a complex tool.
If you dont have an airbrush just buy the decals
>>
>>6517905
I'd probably everythign else first, mask around the mouth, spray white, mask the teeth, spray red, mask the tongue, spray black.
>>
File: IMG_3593.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3593.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>6517909
Here anon, made me go check after responding earlier in case I fucked up. I don't have any cold light at home now that I think about it and the ones in my workspace are really warm. This sink is the most neutral light I could think of and it's pretty warm but closer to sunlight.
The wet effects are hard to catch and with that light looked really dirty but irl was just wet looking, now it's really tame as I applied it mixed 80% white spirits 20% wet effect. Also the oil and fuel spills look like dirt when badly photographed. I'll admit that for a gup match is pretty overkill, but what can I say, I like em wet and dirty.
I should get cold light bulbs perhaps?
>>
File: 1504741975701.jpg (738KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1504741975701.jpg
738KB, 3264x2448px
>>6517945
>>
>>6517956
Yeah that looks closer to irl colors. Next time I go to ikea I'll grab some cool light leds for the work lamps
>>
>>6517934
That's probably for the best, I really need to pick one up. No idea where to start though, I always forget to look around when it's brought up.
>>
File: Lightbox setup.jpg (494KB, 2213x1790px) Image search: [Google]
Lightbox setup.jpg
494KB, 2213x1790px
>>6517956
>>6517945
Get some daylight LED lightbulbs and make yourself a cheap lightbox using some cardboard (or poster boards you can get at most stores) and tissue paper, with a thin white, black or blue posterboard as the back color. Just essentially make a 5-sided box, cut squares on the top piece and sides, and then tape the tissue paper over the holes. Then just get three cheap clamp lamps and you will have a good setup for photographs. pic related

by the way, these are the bulbs I use in those lamps:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YEMKJE2/
>>
>>6517909
>LOL!
Found the twelve year old.
>>6517877
Yeah it looks like it's been outside for like a week at least (which I can't see happening in the current GuP universe) but that doesn't mean it looks bad. Looking forward to seeing it finished.
>>
>>6518345
I would have suggested something like the universe's Tankathelon circuits but they have a tonnage restriction that pretty much only allows light tanks and tankettes. It's sort of unregulated by any official organization though and seems to kind of allow garage teams provided they have the ability to field armor
>>
>>6517908
Got through that imgur gallery earlier, great work, infinitely better than anything I've done. Hopefully I can learn to apply paint jobs like that to my own stuff.
>>
I know that we tried to do this once and it didn't really succeed but how about we try to do some sort of a Group Build again? And if we do what sort of themes would you like to do. I personally would like to build a car brcause I've never built one and it'd be relatively simple for everyone. What sugestions do you have and would there even be any interest in doing a GB again?
>>
>>6518560
I think groupbuilds should be really specific. Like, instead of 'everyone build a plane" its "everyone build an f14." That way we can compare everyones build to everyone else
>>
>>6518606
You want to make it specific to one plane knowing how well the last group build went?
>>
>>6518560
Cars in a 95% military thread....
>>
>>6518560
I'd be okay with a group build. Pretty flexible in how you all want to do it, I guess. If we do cars, I might end up Mad Maxing it or some kind of Middle Eastern gun truck.
>>
>>6518560
I think the problem with doing a group build on 4chan is
>we have almost no real way of organizing it. Your best bet would be to make a new thread like "group build (subjects name here) part ( insert thread number ) because it's basically a given that the thread will die before people even finish the build.
>different people have different interests seems like the most popular subjects are armor, cars, and aircraft as a decently large minority. And like >>6518606 said some people want realy specific group builds. I disagree I think it should just be a general theme of the build like a certain time frame like the napolionic era or captured equipment.but I would hazard a guess and say he may be in a large minority if not the magority.
>their just aren't that many off us. I would say maybe 15 max 20 of us. If we do a group build even a much more liberal in subject matter like I suggested how many of us would be interested in say a Vietnam war era aircraft group build. I imagine most of the armor and car guys won't care and the aircraft guys may have some guys how don't care about Vietnam era aircraft.

Not trying to offend you to be honest I would love to see a successful group build even if it's nothing I care about but I just don't see it working out
>>
File: IMG_1037.jpg (65KB, 600x424px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1037.jpg
65KB, 600x424px
>>6518686
We could do armored cars
>>
>>6518560
Could be -
Build something from X company
Build something from X era
Build something using a specific colour scheme.

It's trying to find that weird line between specific enough to make a themed build but vague enough that it's going to get the most people interested.

One of the more interesting Gunpla group builds I saw was to paint using a dazzle camouflage scheme. Depends how willing people are to building outside of 100% accuracy.
>>
>>6518684
I dont know what that means but yes
>>
File: IMG_1552.jpg (44KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1552.jpg
44KB, 600x315px
It makes me die a little inside to think people actually build these and some dumb kids probably think this is what they actually look like
>>
>>6518741
I feel like X era/event is the best way to get a standardization but still make it interesting. Like model 1960s car or battle of Stalingrad . It would give limits and lead to some level of cohesion with out being super limiting.
>>
File: 20170907_161059.jpg (182KB, 1069x718px) Image search: [Google]
20170907_161059.jpg
182KB, 1069x718px
And that's probably all of the rigging I can survive. Stuff that has fallen off will be put back after the propulsion is in place, least I knock it off again attaching the sails.

>>6518765
On the other hand, said kids probably don't have much of an idea what "they" are anyway.
>>
>>6518781
Meanwhile I usual get bored/annoyed after putting half a run of magic track together. You have my respect and my sympathy boat bro
>>
File: 20170907_145128632_iOS.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170907_145128632_iOS.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Took it outside for the pic, the day is pretty shitty as it's going to rain soon it seems. At least we don't have hurricanes here so some rain ain't that bad I guess.
>>6518238
Yep, I need to make one of those and grab more neutral bulbs
>>6518345
>>6518517
I guess I can say it's from either a rather intense match against pravda or from a long training exercise. A GuP up-gunned te-ke or pzI would be cute to do too someday.
>>6518555
Thanks and glad to help, just read stuff like the weathering magazine and watch some yt vids as there's a ton of material (free and paid) out there of high quality. Also if you have to spend money on something in the plamo hobby do it on an airbrushing set up, everything else can be added during the years or budgeting big hauls.
A badger patriot 105 and a okayish small (but with reservoir) compressor will be a huge step up from spray cans and brushes as there's some stuff that just becomes a matter of second to archive with an airbrush and you get to experiment more things.
>>6518560
I agree with >>6518698, I use reddit for sluts and scale models only because it's easy to keep track of stuff and have the ability to search past stuff and identify people you talk with, also the modeling sub has a lot of people so that’s a pro too.
I'm running two group builds there, one that's to finish soon is the "what if '46" which I gave the premise of doing any vehicle (afvs, planes and ships) as long as was proposed or designed on WWII or fitted the popular aesthetic of what if wwII stuff. The other one is just Maschinen Krieger kits, so as long as from that universe people can do whatever the fuck they want.
Groupbuilds are mostly for fun and having a group that works on similar things so info can be shared more specifically, but I guess you can do it as a contest too.
(blogposting is too long for one post)
>>
>>6518814
What I meant with all that is that here is a bit hard to keep track of people and having enough users to do one, with that said, how about doing a diorama groupbuild? As long it tells a story or sets the mood and was started and finished here between a set time all goes.
>>6518781
When this is finished I'm sure the man that started it won't be the same that ends it hahahaha Holy shit this build sure keeps my hopes in this place high
>>
>>6518765
New group build idea.

Build something with a paintjob to compete against this.
>>
File: M4_Sherman_Variants.jpg (924KB, 1488x2208px) Image search: [Google]
M4_Sherman_Variants.jpg
924KB, 1488x2208px
Sherman-build when?
>>
>>6518929
Id be down
>>
>>6518929
>Not including best Sherman; Firefly
KYS
>>
>>6518911
I actually kinda have an idea for that. Or two, with some brazen stealing.
>>
File: IMG_20170907_223753.jpg (1MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170907_223753.jpg
1MB, 4160x3120px
So this is Trumpeter engineering..
>>
F-16 GB when? It's like the most used fighter jet in the world and has a bunch of paint schemes and a lot of display teams use them. Thunderbirds for example
>>
>>6519086
I'd rather an F-18 desu
>>
>>6519086
>>6519130
Both are shit. F-15 is king.
>>
>New star wars movie coming out
>Bandai just reissues the X-Wings
>>
>>6519130
>>6519143
F-15s and F-18s are boring and not many countries use them.
>>
>>6519179
>F-15s and F-18s are boring
>Most used in recent wars and hold most records

>Not many countries use them
>Wanting to export superior jets to countries that aren't our military allies
>Caring about all the little third world shithole countries that use F-16s
>>
>>6519086
F-16 ain't got shit on the number of operators and paint schemes the MiG-21 had.
>>
>>6519080
>Trumpyboss
>Quality Engineering
Pick one

Inb4 TIDF
>>
>>6519086
>Aircraft GB
>In this general
First time here?
>>
>>6519200
>Mig-21
That's a pretty good idea too. It's a pretty simple jet to build. It's basically a tube with wings.
>>6519210
Aren't you tired of armor?
>>6519194
And then there's this dipshit
>>
>>6519210
A quick glance at the stash, and I'd recommend "training equipment" for the group build. Be it a Folga Magister, a truck with a learning driver sign, one of the various tanks that never left the training grounds...
>>
>>6519230
>Ad hominem
>>
World War II group build, any subject, civilian or military
>>
File: 1491355760274m.jpg (88KB, 584x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1491355760274m.jpg
88KB, 584x1024px
>>6519239
>WWII GB
Oh you
>>
>>6518929
Did they ever release a kit with properly done suspension? This reminds me I need to check in with this one guy who was producing a conversion kit for Chilean Shermans, which was possibly the last variant of these tanks.
>>
>>6519292
Tasca/Asuka?
>>
>>6519313
I heard they're the most accurate kit on the market but I was told they're inaccurate.
>>
File: dc4.jpg (9KB, 200x211px) Image search: [Google]
dc4.jpg
9KB, 200x211px
>>6519319
>I heard they're the most accurate kit on the market but I was told they're inaccurate.
>>
>>6519331
that anon received conflicting info and wants more opinions?
>>
>>6519407
>Most accurate kit
>Inaccurate
Pick one, Pablo
>>
>>6519414
but that's why he's asking, you dense cunt
>>
>>6519414
Are you retarded?
>>
>>6519434
>>6519503
Not him but if a thing is said to be accurate how can also be inaccurate?
Anyway if he cared that much then aftermarket plus scratch is what he has to do, but he won't so what's the point of all this?
>>
>>6519319
So which is it? Are they accurate or inaccurate?
>>
>>6519319
>complains about accuracy
>can't even tell if it's accurate unless someone tells him
Every time.
>>
File: IMG_1553.jpg (74KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1553.jpg
74KB, 1920x1080px
>>6519239
As much as I love ww2 stuff and it makes up like 90% of my models aside from Cold War protoype tanks and random shit. This would be a clusterfuck of epic proportions with your guide lines plus the whole what counts as ww2 conundrum.
> if we do this count me in
>>
>>6518999
Would be interesting to see what happens when people break out of the accuracy mindset and go a bit intentionally garish.
>>
>>6516602
Ship dude you're back! Can't wait to see your stuff finished, everything else you've shown has been pretty damn amazing
>>
Official release schedule says model was supposed to be out a month and a half ago. Model doesn't even have box art yet. why are we still here? only to suffer....
>>
File: panel wash.jpg (938KB, 2992x2000px) Image search: [Google]
panel wash.jpg
938KB, 2992x2000px
>>6519080
Trumpeter is so terrible, I mean honestly I hate that brand so much, despite building many of their kits in the past. Their photo etch is just horrid too, it's too thin and the etching itself is of low quality, much like many of their molds as well. They're far from the worst on the market, but they push out so many kits that they clearly don't put the time into making every one a quality kit, and instead just flood the market with them.

Anyways I could rant about Trumpeter all day, but here's an update in progress on the Viper Mk. VII, starting weathering but I'm not sure how to proceed with it, maybe some dark streaking on the wings, and then some filtering using an airbrush but I don't know what else to do honestly.
>>
>>6519614
wut model kohai?
>>
>>6519633
Trumpeter is all other the place in my experience. The "recent" stuff is realy nice like the kv heavy tanks and the protoype tanks but the old kits I don't even bother thinking about getting and I would imagine some of the more recent kit have problems to.
>>
>>6519613
Thanks, there's some more competent builders in this thread though, I tend to rush through weathering stages and leave kits unfinished too often, trying to work on building kits in my stash first though. I plan on doing another ship kit after I finish up the viper, either a 1/350 Prinz Eugen or a 1/700 HMS Aurora.

>>6519647
They have some hidden gem kits, and I do appreciate that they're willing to take risks like making 1/16 scale display armor kits, or 1/200 ship kits / 1/48 submarine kits that no other manufacturer has dared to tackle yet, but they are so inconsistent with some of their kits just being absolute garbage, even some recent ones. I also hate their shitty instructions.
>>
>>6519651
Can't argue with the engrish instructions that aren't label correctly. I research any kit I'm about to buy so I guess I just avoid the shit that way. was gonna buy the French light tank they make then found a guys review where the upper whole overhangs the the lower hole to the point it looks like to different scale kits had been put into one
>>
>>6519658
I'm giving my self bonus points for missspelling hull both possible ways
>>
>>6519658
The Hotchkiss? Buy Bronco or Tamiya depending on which variant you want.
>>
For splinter camo, do I just cut out random angular shapes out of regular masking tape?
>>
>>6519633
Gotta say that gloss coat is smooth as glass what did you use?
>>
>>6520102
splinter camo on what exactly?
>>
>>6520126

I got a 1/72 swedish leopard 2 kit that I would like to do splinter on.
>>
File: IMG_3829.jpg (2MB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3829.jpg
2MB, 3000x2000px
Hello my dudes,

I finally present you my Revell 1:72 Spitfire Mk. V which I bought as a model set. It is my first kit since 20 years and I tried making it using only what came in the box, i.e. three basic colors, a two-headed brush and the glue. Ok, I cheated a bit because I also got filling since some seams were really ugly. And because I wanted to practice a bit.
The original plan was to also weather it, but I realized I can't do it with what I have. And I didn't want to go for stuff like scraping the dirt from the bottom of my main cooking pot and such.

I already know that I completely fucked up the canopy and that the propeller isn't really painted (I also attached it before painting the plane body and such) and that there is no wire running from antenna to rudder.
And the decals... well, I can use my hands, but this still needs a lot of practice. Also, Revell instructions are shit for painting and decals.

Now, please roast me and tell me what to improve.
>>
>>6520506
Paint the engine exhausts
Thin your paints
Paint propellor
Looks like you attempted to paint the panel lines. Dont do that. Use a wash instead
>>
>>6520548
Also you should color in all the panel lines, not just a few
>>
>>6520553
>>6520548
Sorry I keep looking and finding more things

Don't blame Revell instructions for this.
>>
>>6520553
Don't think that's a painted panel line, looks more like the decal of the wing stencil.
>>
>>6520548
As I said, I only had three colors, so painting exhausts was with the same color as the basic layer on the topside. I thinned my paints, but probably not enough. Could also be my amateurish application.
Again, propeller is painted in what color was available (=grey).
The last one I don't understand. Do you mean the black lines? That's decals. And as I mentioned in my post, I didn't try any weathering whatsoever because of the color limitations.
And please, no more "paint this", I know that. I meant technical stuff like shitty lines, the horrible borders between top and bottom, the shitty canopy and such.
>>
>>6520114
Pledge Future, been using it for years and it has never failed me once. Most important thing I've found in my experience using it is to apply it in very light coats, and slowly build it up. Takes about 5-6 light coats to get a nice smooth gloss base.
>>
>>6520506
Not bad for a first attempt desu, any criticism I had you've already mentioned. Those cheap 1/72 make for good practice, just pick up a few basic colors like black and silver for the next one.
>>
>>6520506
>>>/r/modelmakercringe
>>
>>6520606
just fuck off
>>
File: 127764399.jpg (10KB, 260x194px) Image search: [Google]
127764399.jpg
10KB, 260x194px
>>6520656
>>
File: AJ-37-Viggen.jpg (498KB, 1600x1080px) Image search: [Google]
AJ-37-Viggen.jpg
498KB, 1600x1080px
>>6520173
It's a set, specific pattern repeated on every tank, and even ignoring that few get the look right when they try to paint that kind of splinter camo on things. So grab the painting instructions, (try to) mask the fields exactly as they appear there, and be happy that they made things a bit simpler here than it used to be on the AJ37.

>>6520506
>and tell me what to improve.
Paint everything (with proper colours), mask properly, get some panel liner. So just about the flaws we knew would be there before you even started?
>>
>>6520873
>Paint everything (with proper colours), mask properly, get some panel liner.
Yeah, that's my plan for the next model. Also the next time making a plan beforehand and not already assemble stuff that would have been better to not yet assemble and such.
>>
>>6521014
Yeah, never trust the instructions to tell you in what order to paint and glue stuff.
>>
File: 20170908_204351.jpg (277KB, 965x643px) Image search: [Google]
20170908_204351.jpg
277KB, 965x643px
No Tamiya white to be found today either (I've spotted a shop that seems to have some, I'll raid the place tomorrow), so I'm starting on my Airfix whiffer A6M2.

Decent fit of things in the cockpit, the fuselage sides seem a bit bent however. Cockpit floor and rear wall both had ejector pin marks on one side, and in both cases the inside. Betty 2 alone knows how much gin was behind that decision. The floor ones at least won't be visible despite this, but the rear wall ones demanded a touch of filler.
>>
File: IMG_3495.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3495.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Uhh. This was an impulse buy. But it's fun.
>>
>>6521743
What is it?
>>
Any good detailed and fiddly sci-fi kits?
>>
>>6522241
looks like a car
>>
>>6522285
Bandai Star Wars stuff?
>>
>>6522455
Great detail, but he'll need a PE set to make them fiddly.
>>
>>6522459
There are PE sets for bandai kits, especially the Y-Wing is extra fiddly
>>
File: IMG_3493.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3493.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>6522241
It's a Volkswagen Scirocco, I'm not sure which generation, maybe early 90s late 80s
>>
>>6519331
>>6519533
Think about it (for a few minutes, if it's too challenging for you): They're as accurate as you can get on the market overall, but they still have problems. Going back to the point of the discussion, the suspension is not accurate. That information was about 4 years old. I don't know if they've released any new Sherman kits since.

>>6519537
Why bother doing the footwork if it's already been done for you? It would save a lot of time and effort. I've spent a fair number of hours going over aircraft pictures to accurize line drawings for avionics for instance. More recently, digging around for the color of Soviet WW2 primers used on armor.
>>
>>6519658
The Trumpeter Hotchkiss is garbage. I posted my build experiences here in previous threads. I'd go with Tamiya or Brono like >>6519936
said. Or if you really want hyper accuracy, someone has a 3D print model that can't be beat by any injection molded kit. It's retardedly expensive though.
>>
File: 20170909_150309.jpg (852KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170909_150309.jpg
852KB, 2048x1152px
Soviet 76.2mm M1936 (F22) gun and German remodel Pak 36(r)
>>
Is it possible to buy very small brass rod (1/8 in diameter) with a very small hole drilled theough the length of it? Like, small enough for a single length of wire to be threaded through an otherwise solid rod
>>
>>6523295
http://lmgtfy.com/?iie=1&q=1%2F8+in+brass+tube
>>
File: IMG_3603.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3603.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
97% done. Just some stuff in the turret and maybe a filthy small tarp with mud and oil near the radio operator as I assigned her to be the mechanic to fix shit on the go.
I ordered on amazon some new lightbulbs that seem really fancy and a cheap as fuck photobooth, I was going to make one myself but I got bored midway of making it and for 17€ I can't be bothered desu, if it's too shitty I'll use it as a base for a diy one I guess
>>
Hello, does anybody know the name of a Revell tank kit that had a destroyed wall included? It was a small diorama stand where the tank could be positioned on. It was a german tank, but that is all I remember.
My google-fu is too weak and I also didn't find anything on scalemates.
>>
>>6523513
This maybe? https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Military_Vehicles/panzer-ii-ausf-f/RMG00003229/product.php?s=0&t=2&pg=1&ppp=48&sb=stocknumber&so=a&era=5,6&man=RMG
>>
File: wall.png (3KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
wall.png
3KB, 400x300px
>>6523590
Nope, it was a breakthrough, the wall looked like pic related. The tank went through the middle. The kit is at least 15 years old.
>>
>>6523598
1:76 Jagdpanther?
https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/media/managed/large/03232.jpg
>>
File: IMG_1555.jpg (136KB, 1024x715px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1555.jpg
136KB, 1024x715px
>>6523598
Sorry I couldn't what ever it is you are trying to build the higher powers don't want you to build internet went out and 4 chan thinks anything I tired post was spam so I would say don't even think about building what ever it is your trying to build the universe don't like it.

Was gonna send a few links to things you might find use full but no space gods and shit ain't haven that
http://modelsua.com/images/D/ma36007.jpg
>>
>>6523306
I notice you don't know how to read. I'm not looking for a brass tube.
>>
>>6523351
Incredible as always. Actually jealous of your skills.
>>
File: 20170910_014455.jpg (260KB, 1275x718px) Image search: [Google]
20170910_014455.jpg
260KB, 1275x718px
Finally got some white, so I started painting in the grooves at the backs of the sails with a mix of that and buff. The question is whether the ridge on the front is best highlighted with more or less pure white, or if I should paint a dark line on each side of them. I'm leaning towards the white. Either way, I'll probably get some varnish, add a drop of white, and spray it all over afterwards to filter things down a bit.

The end result here won't be very good, but still, that's about as good as I can ever get it. Especially since everything I do with them something somewhere goes terribly wrong.

>>6523351
I guess it ain't just Ôarai that had to scavenge up and quickly press half-forgotten hardware into service.
>>
>>6523659
>Brass rod with a hole drilled through it
What the fuck do you think brass tube is?
>>
>>6523752
When I saw the "you don't know how to read" thing I though you linked him like copper or some other metal and he was being a prick. I think he's just retarded now
>bets he's trying to make a barrel for something and doesn't know how to find metal barrels/doesn't know that's something manufacturers sell at this point
>>
>>6523785
>>6523752
Nah, you guys. I don't want a standard sized tube. I want a very small hole drilled throught it so that the OD/ID is dramtically different. Like, a .265mm hole drilled through solid brass rod.

If it doesnt exist then that's fine.
>>
>>6523853
That is a brass tube you Down syndrome fuck. Doesn't matter what size it is, it is still a tube.
>>
>>6523853
Drill your own
>>
>>6523167
I got incredibly excited at the M1936 then realised it's probably 1/35 not 1/48 which is what I need for my 1/48 Diana project :(
>>
File: images.jpg (16KB, 487x302px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
16KB, 487x302px
>>6523513
Is it this Jagdpanther? I remember building it as a kid but (not mine in the photo).
>>
File: IMG_1559.jpg (21KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1559.jpg
21KB, 400x225px
Anyone know of an old company called special armour are they crap or hidden gems
>>
File: Final.jpg (684KB, 2992x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Final.jpg
684KB, 2992x2000px
Done with this for now, might go back and do some more weathering but I doubt it, I want to move onto other kits in my backlog and just wanted to get this out of the way. I feel like doing another aircraft so I'm going to work on an old 1/32 Ki-84 Hasegawa kit I have that I never finished next.
>>
>>6523513
All Revell kits labeled 1:76 (they labeled them 1:72 in the past) are reboxed Matchbox kits. They all came with a little diorama base like >>6524015
>>
>>6524109
That looks really great Anon.
Almost like a 3d render at the first glance.
I didn't follow all of your posts, but thats the Revell Viper, right?
>>
>>6524174
It's actually made by an American company named Moebius, but it's re-boxed in Europe under the Revell brand.

The molds are pretty low quality though, it's clear they out-source their tooling to China on the cheap, there's so much rough surface grit that I had to sand down that looked like it was from poorly machined tooling.

That said, at least Moebius is making kits like this, they're also coming out with a Raptor kit soon (if not already released), as well as a 2001 Discovery One kit.
>>
>>6524171
I remember the Matchbox ones. I had a couple when I was younger but I don't really remember the specific kit you're talking about. You can probably find them on Scalemates (I don't think the gaps in their DB is that huge)
>>
File: MontysCaravan-0002.jpg (77KB, 800x416px) Image search: [Google]
MontysCaravan-0002.jpg
77KB, 800x416px
>>6524320
The one posted is the only one with a destroyed wall actually.

Some other pieces were really nice too. I had lots of them as a child and used to combine the diorama plates to create a landscape for my toy soldiers to fight on.. pic related was my favorite kit from that line
>>
>>6523853
Get a brass tube with the right outer diameter.
Get a brass tube that fits exactly inside the first one.
Get a brass tube that fits exactly inside the second one.
Keep going until you get the right inner diameter.

>>6524016
Same guys as Special Hobby. Seems like you get a mix of decent normal kits and stuff that's more or less short run kits. I don't think they're to be dreaded, but it won't exactly be a Tamiya or Flyhawk.
>>
File: 20170910_191449-3984x2241.jpg (1MB, 3984x2241px) Image search: [Google]
20170910_191449-3984x2241.jpg
1MB, 3984x2241px
I got this since I was pretty sure I would never find a K1 figure. This will be my first scale, however I have made a few HG gundams. I have to say looking at the book show me that this a bit hard for my current skill level. I think I will do other kits first before I take this on.

One more thing the book that comes with it is very nice, and it comes with a color guide for the historical look, as well as decals and color guide to do it up like in the manga
>>
>>6524807
The... aircraft? 1/32 probably isn't the most beginner friendly, no. 1/72 will be simpler and cheaper. Then again, if the Gunpla taught you how to put down a good coat of paint, fill gaps and panel line then there shouldn't be much in the way of arcane mysteries to the aircraft. There's just a lot of parts to fiddle with, so it'll take a while to get it done.
>>
File: 1489225154694.png (23KB, 431x358px) Image search: [Google]
1489225154694.png
23KB, 431x358px
I fucking hate italeri.
I had the 1/72 Leo itch and I wanted to scratch it bad.
Jesus tapdancing Christ, I expected their 1/72 Leo 1a4 at least to have guide teeth in the track, but it is literally their M48 Patton all over again.
I was expecting at least 2 part roadwheels, you know, like what Revell had some 10+ years ago with their a5.
>>
>>6524924
Italeri is Italian for shit.
>Inb4 "but they have some good kits"
>>
>>6523661
Thanks lad, but just practice and don't fear fucking up and we all gonna make it brah. Although when compared to mags or some blogs it's a really long way to go...
>>6523692
I would do noticeably darker ribs(?) and highlights in the flat parts both sides, but before that I would try to make something like pic related doing it like the black basing in planes but very softly almost unnoticeable.
About the king tiger I think that small schools ain't got time and money for fancy procedures and when you can get your hands in something cool better deploy it.
>We need mo money fo em programs
>>6524109
Looks neat, like a clean display model kind. I would given it some kind of eye candy to break the blue monotony like a color stripe tho.
>>6524807
Is that a rebox of the shinden? Zoukei-mura kits are extremely nice, not a plane guy but more than once they tempted me. I think that going from gundam to that ain't recommendable unless you don't care much as a 1/32 has a heavy workload. Revell has a 1/32 bf109G (https://www.scalemates.com/kits/133653-revell-04665-bf-109-g-6) that's cheap and I've seen it praised and recommended to start more than once. I would do one cheap 1/72 kit trying to do it the best I could to try techniques and then a 1/32 cheap kit without stressing much to see the work involved. From there up to you mostly but don't jump too early in to the nice kit.
>>
>>6524953
>I would do noticeably darker ribs(?) and highlights in the flat parts both sides, but before that I would try to make something like pic related doing it like the black basing in planes but very softly almost unnoticeable.

That'd probably look good if done well, but it's also most likely finer and more consistent work than I'm going to be pulling off as things currently stand. And with my luck, I'd probably have my compress tank explode and rip my leg off halfway through it...
>>
>>6525256
Fuck I forgot the ref pic earlier, here. You could try it in one and if you don't like just paint on top
>>
>>6525265
I'd have to buy a new can of racing white to paint over as well.

But yeah, just dark ribs may be an idea despite the raised ribs detail in front.
>>
File: 20170910_203252873_iOS.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170910_203252873_iOS.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>What have you been doing all afternoon anon?
A. Fuckin. Rag.
This little fuck took forever to dry both primer, paint and varnish. Now I have to wait until tomorrow night for the varnish to be completely cured and apply a light wash and dirt stains, then the tiger will be complete.
>>
>>6525415
>will be complete he lied knowing in a week or less he will see something that needs added,fixed, or changed
Why would you go onto the Internet and tell lies like that.
I have a shitty tamyia m4 Sherman i didn't gen paint the main body of because the plastic looked close enough years ago and I add/fix shit on it all the time
>>
>>6525415
Yea but tbf it looks great
>>
File: IMG_3503.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3503.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Big block Chevy 427 for the Impala SS. That detail straight from the box tho. Still need to put valve covers and TPI on.
>>
Anyone ever built the trumpeter 1/72 t-34/76 , how is that kit?
I've never built tanks before, is it easy to wrap your head around it?
>>
New thread
>>6526301
>>6526301
Thread posts: 332
Thread images: 80

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.