[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Play Arts Kai

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

How are PAKs?

Just saw one in a store and thought they looked pretty good...

Also any one got Spike? He any good?
>>
File: Capturar.jpg (44KB, 593x598px) Image search: [Google]
Capturar.jpg
44KB, 593x598px
>>6484842

Spike is OK, I guess. Him and Vicious are the only PAKs that I own. But I avoid this line... 1:6 is shit, senpai.

Spike articulation is pretty decent though, but he lacks acessories (hell, he comes only with 5 hands and one Jericho, while Vicious has birds, hands, sword and sheath).

I would get Spike or / and Vicious if only you are a Bebop afficionado.
>>
>>6484881
>1:6 is shit, senpai.

What does that have to do with anything
>>
>>6484881

They're not 1:6, they're a bunch of random different sizes because Square Enix has fucking ADHD or something but every single one of them is smaller than that.
>>
>>6484895

Personal opinion.
>>
>>6484842

In general the problems with Play Arts Kai are:

- Weird sizes that are never in scale with anything else
- Frequently have weird sculpts and ugly joints
- Way overdone shading/paint washes where you're kind of playing the lottery trying to find one that doesn't look fucked
- idk if this has gotten any better recently but as of the last time I checked, fragile joints, easy to break (they seem to use stiffer, thinner, more brittle plastic on their joints than they do on like the main body chunks of the figure, it makes no sense to me)
-The prices just kept going up and up and up and up and now they're absolutely batshit and I have no idea why someone would pay them (I remember the prices used to be more sensible so idk if Spike specifically is easier to find for a reasonable amount)

The good things about them are that like the plastic usually feels nice and weighty, the articulation is usually good, and they do at least have very intricate/detailed sculpts and paint although they tend to be sloppy.

In general I recommend them for characters that don't have any other remotely good figures because they're not totally awful or anything but I also avoid them as much as possible.
>>
>>6484881
>>6484895
What's the hate for 1/6 anyway?
>>
>>6484948
They're not even 1/6.
They range from 8-12"
>>
>>6484912
>Weird sizes that are never in scale with anything else

Luckily it seems they're finally adapting to what the market wants with the Bring Arts stuff. Hopefully they can revisit some past stuff and release it in that line. I don't mind the sizes too much myself though.

>- Frequently have weird sculpts and ugly joints

Depends on the figure. Some look absolutely fantastic while others just make me question what the fuck they were thinking, like those "Batman Throughout Time" PAK's that I never see anyone buy or talk about. Some of the vidya like Halo and Deus Ex are pretty good figures though.

>- Way overdone shading/paint washes where you're kind of playing the lottery trying to find one that doesn't look fucked

They've more or less been moving away from this. Some recent stuff that I've seen coming out looks pretty normal.

>- idk if this has gotten any better recently but as of the last time I checked, fragile joints, easy to break (they seem to use stiffer, thinner, more brittle plastic on their joints than they do on like the main body chunks of the figure, it makes no sense to me)

How long ago are we speaking here? I've owned my Venom Snake for almost two years now and he's still about as tough as he was when I first received him. Granted though that some of the older stuff when the line was first coming out didn't exactly inspire confidence in most of us but they've been upping their game in recent years.

>-The prices just kept going up and up and up and up and now they're absolutely batshit and I have no idea why someone would pay them (I remember the prices used to be more sensible so idk if Spike specifically is easier to find for a reasonable amount)

Again, it depends on the specific figure. Some depreciate because hardly anyone is buying them while others soar due to immense popularity. I've seen Spike and Vicious in the 4000 - 5000 yen range on YAJ and Mandarake, so they are fairly easy to acquire.
>>
>>6485498
Second reply because first was too long.

When you're able to acquire certain PAK stuff for cheap or at least enough below retail, it really helps to offset what could have been much higher when pre-ordering or buying on release. I recently got a PAK Ocelot for 5500 yen when he retailed for somewhere around 12000. Stuff like Mantis and D.D are also piss easy to get for below retail, especially the latter who at times has dropped to below 3000.

All in all, it sometimes pays off to wait it out and see where things go with PAK stuff, especially on the secondary market.

What really sucks about PAK is their hesitancy to issue second-runs of figures that people want to buy. As far as I've heard, it's a very rare thing to happen and can sometimes come right out of the blue and without warning.
>>
File: kai.jpg (266KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
kai.jpg
266KB, 1000x1000px
>>6484842
No line has been quite as ridiculously hit-or-miss as Play Arts. I have 9 PAKS, used to have 16 but sold all the ones that turned out bad. The older figures had some strange shading and joint design, while newer ones are too overpriced. It's just too much of a gamble to buy them, even if QC has improved. If you can find reasonable prices ($90-140) I'd recommend most of the DC Variants line, specially Harley Quinn, Catwoman, and Armored Batman, assuming you like the designs. The Metal Gear figures are also generally good, as well as the Marvel Variants, most FF, and most Halo. Movie-based figures are usually trash, and the entire Arkham Knight, Street Fighter, and Mass Effect lines were a disappointment. As a side note, I noticed PAK are less hit or miss with female figures, if that counts for anything.
>>
I saw a gabranth play arts for 30$, should I buy it?
>>
>>6487492

The money is yours, do whatever you want mate.
>>
File: Fenrir FF7.jpg (154KB, 900x582px) Image search: [Google]
Fenrir FF7.jpg
154KB, 900x582px
However PAKs are. However PAKs were. However PAKs will be.

This must turn out perfectly.
>>
>>6485498

I'm the person you're responding to. As far as the fragile joints my last experience with it was I think one of the Peace Walker Snake figures. I know people were still complaining about it a lot more recently than that but "a lot more recently than that" could still be years ago honestly
>>
>>6484948
Mostly from PAKs being shit.
>>
>>6485498
> Somebody actually typed up all this.

Top fucking kek.
>>
Nomura wank, the toyline.
>>
>>6484842
PAK is one the most hit/miss lines you could possibly invest in.
>>
>>6487515
Huh, this may be my entry into PAK.
>>
>>6484842
They live up to their poor reputation 95% of the time.

>>6484881
>1:6 is shit
Apparently so is the education system in your home country if grade school math is this hard for you, dumbass.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.