[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You ever think of getting rid of everything and just starting over?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

File: nP3c8mTSxlis4vfg0UjlkK8LRG9.jpg (61KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
nP3c8mTSxlis4vfg0UjlkK8LRG9.jpg
61KB, 500x750px
You ever think of getting rid of everything and just starting over?
>>
>starting over

Nope, but I do think about purging all the time.
>>
>>6477308
Purge figures when?
>>
>>6477308
I did, back when I was buying things just to buy them. I ended up with a bunch of stuff that I didn't care about, a lot of flavor of the month stuff. I kept fantasazing about selling everything or giving it away or starting over. Then one day i had to move and packing stuff I realized how much stuff was bought because I felt like buying something or because people was talking about it or pure false nostalgia, so I sold almost everything. It felt so good seeing the clutter dissapear little by little.

Now I've managed to collect the line 'm actually interested in, and if for some reason I buy an unrelated figure, it stays on the desk. If I haven't kept fiddling with it for a month, I sell it at cost, regardless of any increase in price.

Honestly, the best thing you can do is buy what you actually like, no impulse purchase, no "I don't want to leave the con empty handed" purchases. Stuff you really like. And keep selling, stuff you no longer want, or to purchase stuff you do want. The worst thing that can happen is for your collection to feel like a burden. You should be enjoying your toys, not fantasizing about selling them.
>>
I have accumulated a lot of stuff and my family has accused me of being a borderline hoarder especially since my room is full of boxes of junk.

I had to start a box of purgatory for stuff I barely touch or if I have a better version of a character.

I'm gonna probably end up dumping tons of "cool stuff" to a good will because I don't feel like leaving stuff in BST for too long.
>>
Im slowly getting rid of excess figures, but i keep buying figures, so it never ends.
>>
>>6477308
I purge every couple of months -_-
>>
>>6477308
I've been slowly selling most of the larger transformers I've accumulated in the past few years and have been since started collecting legends sized figures instead.
>>
>>6477308
Everything? No. But I have purged things when I no longer cared about them or a better version came along.
>>
Hey OP,
I'm not sure i get what you're saying.

Why would you need to purge anything or start over?
Do you do a lot of impulse buys, buying shit you don't even like because, have really limited room, or do you need ot sell everything to afford new stuff?
Combination of all of them maybe?

Personally, i don't feel the need to ever do that, as i always make sure i want what i want.

With certain favorite characters and just really awesome designs, i always have to ask myself if I'm going to use it or if it will actually fit in with my active displays (i rotate my collection and out).
>>
>>6477423
put it up in the bst for free instead and just have anons pay shipping, that way you know the stuff will go to people who'll really enjoy it
>>
Yeah, but I'm a bitch
>>
>>6477393
This.

I've purged a couple of times in the last six years. Feels good, man. And then I can start over with stuff I actually want.
>>
File: 18911568989_2b35f64c6e_o.jpg (249KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
18911568989_2b35f64c6e_o.jpg
249KB, 900x600px
I collect BJDs so things are a little different for me, but yes.

I started so many years ago so some dolls I own are not my taste anymore, but they fit their intended character well and were at that time the best possible option for them. I sometimes sell one and reshell the character into a different doll, but I sometimes wish I could just sell them all at once and re-start the hobby differently.
I have a big story attached to them and just now get to a point where the cast is complete (even if it isn't a big cast), which is another reason I can't/won't just purge everything.
Shit took so long to get to this point.

But I sometimes think collecting different dolls/collecting differently overall (like no characters/stories, just being a revolving door that constantly buys and sells dolls just to see as much as possible) would be cool.
And to get rid of all those dolls that kinda got grandfathered into this place/are connected to another doll but aren't 100% my thing anymore.
>>
I used to have all of Mythic Legions that have been released. I lost interest and sold everything but Vorgus Vermillius.
>>
I consider selling a significant amount of my Lego. I certainly could do with more money and space, but I think about having to ship them away and it keeps me from doing so.
>>
>>6477310
This.
>>
File: waifushit.jpg (42KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
waifushit.jpg
42KB, 533x800px
No. I have shit from series I don't even care about and I can't bring myself to sell it.
>>
>>6477475
Not OP but when /toy/ has done "What would you grab in a fire" threads it has occurred to me that I have way too much stuff in general and the idea of getting down to the bare necessities is somewhat alluring.
>>
>>6477308
Thought about it.
Would love to sell a fair chunk of what I have but I just can't be arsed to photograph and list it all.
>>
>>6477310
This.
Sometimes I want to go full minimalistic, empty my shelves and move on to find a better way to spend my money.
Or I wonder if I should have invested my money in statues instead of joint-stuff.
>>
ew
>>
>>6477308
I would like to just sell it all and never look back desu
>>
No.
Although occasionally I will look at ny Marvel Legends abd Transformers shelves and think to myself 'I should get rid of those' but a couple of figures always hold me back.
>>
Yeah but I fucked up seriously at some point and started putting all accessories into one huge ass rubbermaid tub. I'd freak out trying to dig shit out and pair it up with the right figure.
>>
>>6477308
I tried once, sold off all my childhood toys that i loved. Was young and stupid and got 80 bucks for a box of good shit and even to this day I regret it. Then I decided to just collect The main Avengers in ML form and fell down the rabbit hole since and now I've got most marvel legends, DC, NECA, Figuarts, PAK, and storm collectables.
>>
I think more about purging my shelving than the collection. But Detolfs are just too convenient and cheap.
>>
>>6477308
I recently moved and decided I would brutally purge my collection and only focus on a few lines.

So I move, and start unpacking.

I'm about 20% done and I already feel like I have more to keep than I would want. This is going to be a tough month.
>>
>>6477308
>getting rid of everything
yes
>and just starting over
no, that defeats the purpose of getting rid of everything dummkopf
>>
>>6477308
Yes, but I don't know how I'd do it. I've just got so much shit it would take forever for me to sell it all piece by piece. It's exhausting just considering pulling it all out and cataloging it to get rid of....
>>
>>6477308
I did that already when I hit my late 20s, I used to have a every Marvel legend up till the red hulk wave, every Bionicle till the first time the line ended, every Halo Mega bloks up to then, and tons of anime figures.

Sold all of it besides two select ML that sit on my desk, never bought another toy.
>>
>>6484203
What are you doing here then?
>>
>>6484245
I lurk mostly now.

I switched to collecting books, have over 4000 books right now but by the end of the year I will have bought a collection of 1200 Leather bound books that I'm getting from a father of a friend. Also book hunting is infinitely more fun then toy hunting.

Jesus I spent four days scouring down town Denver thrift stores chasing a version of Bram Stoker's Dracula that was one of the earliest printings out side of its serial version. And there isnt as large of a pool of collectors so its a lot easier to find a four thousand dollar book at some thrift shop then finding a fucking chase figure in my town. Also the profit margin is insane compared to toys.

But every year I get closer to starting up toy collecting again, that damn Gladiator Hulk wave is nice but it would be so easy to just hit that buy button and not stop, collecting books is a great way to get your self out there and meet the kind of geeks you never get to see on the internet.

The conversation is great, and collectors as a whole work together and trade, so every one has their holy grail or is working towards it. But still the big green guy would look cool in my computer room.
>>
Wow, no. What would cause that?
>>
>>6484919
More power to you, I'd love to collect books, vinyl, movie reels,a dn other media like that. Ultimately what keeps me from doing so is that my computer can do all of that for me, EXCEPT toys. And no, its not the same, I'll always prefer physical books and comics to the downloads on my computer, but if I really want to enjoy them at their basic level, it can all be done, for free even. But not figures.
>>
>>6484919
nice blog.
>>
yes! Both starting over and just getting out. But I know I'd just continue buying so who am I kidding?
>>
File: 1502849946618.jpg (7KB, 207x249px) Image search: [Google]
1502849946618.jpg
7KB, 207x249px
>spend years building a marvel legends collection
>now marvel is so shitty I'm not even interested in them anymore

I should trash them but I know I'm going to wish I still had them later on. Same for my star wars and WWE stuff.
>>
>>6484982

Just replace some of the Legends figures with the revo figures.
>>
Hasbro products seems to be a common theme in this thread. Stop buying garbage and you'll have less regrets.
>>
>>6485018
But the regret comes from the fact that the products became garbage, they were good before(I'm sure you'll hit back with >implying or some shit) Like if Transformers were still at 2010 level I'd be fine.
>>
>>6485024
So because stuff sucks now you want to get rid of your old stuff that you did like?

That doesn't make sense.
>>
>>6485035
Because now those collections are imperfect, while there's other toys that are good that are coming out, and you could sell your existing collection to fund your new one. Its bittersweet, but ultimately collections are just as much about experiencing something as they are play and display.
>>
>>6485018
100% guarantee that OP collects marvel legends or transformers.
>>
Just box/store stuff.
Sometimes finding and unpacking old slews of figures can be a really gratifying experience, rediscovering old figures and seeing them in a new light. It can be much better than just seeing them in the corner of your eye collecting dust in the same pose week after week. Circulate your collections, trust me.
>>
>>6477308
Had that thought once, seems like a nightmare finding all the limited edition shit i got when it was easy to get them. I'm always purging large quantities of shit from my collection though. I have a good pallet sized stack of shit i need to sell.
>>
>>6477308
I did something similar last year. I was playing with my toys and decided to rearrange the factions on my shelves. some toys got put in storage, and others were moved to other teams. unfortunately it doesnt feel as balanced anymore
>>
I gave almost everything to my Godsons. MLs, SW, Joes. It was a year before MLs took off again, and here and there that sucks. All in all it was a good move. I collect only one thing now and it saves money, and I don't have to hunt anything down or buy whole cases to get one figure.
>>
>>6477308
Sometimes I think that if I sell it all I'd have enough to finance a move out to the city where i'd have a shot at doing something good with myself.

Then i think of how hard it would be to get it all back or how shitty it would be if I fucked up, or if my figures were given to someone shitty and I stop :/
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.