[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scale thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

File: DSCN9525.jpg (232KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN9525.jpg
232KB, 1600x1200px
So, recently I saw a thread arguing about the difference between 1/12 scale japanese and American figures. This kind of got me thinking: what are your opinions on scale? Do you display figma/figuarts style figures along side Marvel Legends or Mythic Legion style figures? Do you consider them different scales entirely? Which version is actually 1/12? Does it depend on the character or figure? Are you not picky about scale and just do whatever you think fits well enough?
>>
>>6468682
I don't really care about scale at all. I put 1/12 figures next to 1/18 and 1/10. I'm not setting up a diorama and pretending the characters are hanging out together, they're just there for me to look at.
>>
>>6468682
I only collect 1/12, specifically Japanese Revo-figma-arts style stuff. However, I'm fine with mixing the smaller Japanese ones with larger American figures like Marvel Legends or even as far as Mythic Legions. As long as it fits close enough I'll go with it.
>>
I play with my figures so it does feel stupid having a 1/8 girl interacting with a 1/12 guy. I try to only collect 1/12-ish, but unfortunately there's characters you can only get in certain scales, and that's been the case for a couple of my favorites that I got. Don't really care about "true" 1/12, I'm happy as long as the proportion differences aren't super obvious like my initial example.
>>
File: mobitches troll.jpg (489KB, 1844x1292px) Image search: [Google]
mobitches troll.jpg
489KB, 1844x1292px
Despite being a scale fag, I'm with this guy
>>6468700
As long as they look good together, I have no problem with it.

So i'm more likely separating cartoony figures from the more realistic stuff or just skipping them altogether.
>>
>>6468728
I like having realistic and cartoony characters together. Action figures are all about having completely different characters come together and interact, so it only adds to the appeal.
>>
>>6468682
>spider-man towering over super soldier cap and a man in suit of high tech armor

Yeah, that bugs me.
>>
>>6468771
To each their own.
>>
Thing is half the time the same line isnt even scaled to itself.
How many Wolverines do you have that are the same height as Capt America?
>All of them.
>>
File: ml wolverines.jpg (241KB, 800x400px) Image search: [Google]
ml wolverines.jpg
241KB, 800x400px
>>6468838
>he doesn't own superior Toy Biz Wolverine figures.
Even Hasbro's 1:18 lines had Wolverines that scaled pretty well.
>>
None of it bothers me. The idea of needing a grand unified aesthetic to your collection seems self-limiting and pointless. If taken far enough, it will just box you out of getting amazing figures due to your own neurosis.

As for the question >>6468682 "Which version is actually 1/12?": 1/12 is an absolute number. It's either adhered to or not.

The japanese companies have an out in that they say that they're non-scale lines. If Iron Man from y-movie is not scaled properly with Iron Man from z-movie that is made 2 years later... oh well. They never made a promise, nor did they market it as such.
>>
I just want scale to be in a reasonable ballpark.

Nobody really gets it right in their own lines except like, mezco generally.

Hasbro sure as hell doesn't, Bandai doesn't. It's just how it works, but if it's in a decent ballpark, I don't care.

Stuff like VAH I don't care for being so massively out of scale with the norm.
>>
>>6468682
6" are my standard. another way to say it is, I stay away from toylines like MU and GI Joe unless they feature a child or a character that is actually short.

when it comes to giant characters getting small figures (Transformers, gundams, various one-off creatures), that's when i disregard scale standard and choose what i can if given a choice. >Bumblebee can be smaller than a human
>6" Gundams are played as sentient robots that interact with humans
>Buzz Lightyear is smaller than Spider-man? whatever
>>
I wouldn't consider myself a scale autist, but if I am to display human-sized characters next to each other it's important that the scale is close enough (or else entirely different). Putting a 1:12.5 Superman next to a 1:11 Spiderman just doesn't work.

It's much less important on characters that are clearly above or below human typical size. Nobody cares about the exact size of a hulking character as long as it towers over normal characters, but adding or taking away the equivalent to ten or fifteen centimeters to a human character is very noticeable and it makes them look off next to others.
>>
>>6468682
Really don't care about scale, but the only figure that the scale has really bothered me was the Figuart Darth Vader.
Was such a manlet that for me it was too much.
>>
>>6469050
Yea. Scale is usually fine to me as long as it's close enough but Figuarts Vader REALLY fucked me up.

The Mafex one worked pretty nicely though.
>>
File: file.png (944KB, 789x764px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
944KB, 789x764px
Figuarts tend to be smaller than legends. I've learned to just deal with this. I collect all my Marvel characters as Marvel Legends to maintain same scale, but even Marvel Legends has major fuck ups.
>>
File: 20170807_172320.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170807_172320.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>6468682

Figuarts and Figma, despite claiming to be non scale, tend to be closest to true 1/12.

1/12 of 6ft is 6 inches, so most tall but not giant 1/12 figures should be 6 inch tall.

As you can see Freddie and Akira here are just about the right height as both of them are a bit under 6ft tall while Kirk, despite being from a line called "The one:12 collective" is ginormous and clearly not actually in 1/12 scale.
>>
>>6468726
Figma are non-scale and of different aesthetics.
>>
>>6469340
...you had to do a google search to figure out how to convert 79 inches into feet?
>>
>>6469450

I'm European, so yes.

I think in centimeters and meters.
>>
>>6469452
Thinking in centimeters prevents you from dividing by 12?
>>
>>6470099
if he uses the metric system then 12 inches to a foot isn't common knowledge to him
think before you post
>>
>>6470099
Not using the imperial system at all and instead using a base 10 system as a universal standard shouldn't surprisingly lead to people not knowing imperial conversion, anon.
>>
>>6470102
>>6470105
So he's an adult, and has never had to work a conversion of length backwards from the US imperial system? And he's never put 2 and 2 together to realize that 1/12 correlating directly to a 6' man (as is common knowledge here) might have SOME logical backing behind it involving the number 12 and it's association with inches/feet?

That seems incredibly unlikely. And if not unlikely, then dimwitted.
>>
>>6469450
i'm confused, where did 79 inches come from?
>>
File: ml thors.jpg (327KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
ml thors.jpg
327KB, 1200x800px
>>6471913
probably the same place where being undersized is better than being oversized.

Personally, it's easier to deal with oversized figure because of scale creep is found with almost every line out there. So you have more larger figures than the other way around.
Whereas making them undersized... well, who the fuck likes manlets? It's weird having toys looking like children next to real adults.

That said, most lines i collect don't have the problem creating children and measure well within normal heights for adults in first world countries. Even DCC Icons stand taller, as they should, than Freddie here being a child's height http://i.4cdn.org/toy/1502126966006.jpg

Scale creep sucks though, especially when previous figures got it right.
>>
>>6471913
Look at the monitor in >>6469340
>>
>>6468840
Now if only any of those reflected the fact that Wolverine is 5'3".
>>
File: rdj manlet lifts.jpg (56KB, 450x681px) Image search: [Google]
rdj manlet lifts.jpg
56KB, 450x681px
>>6472152
>all those wolverines show him wearing boots
>boots not known for having thick soles
I guess we can pretend that the Hasbro Wolverines are all using Manlet Downey Jr's shoes.
>>
>>6470120
>And he's never put 2 and 2 together to realize that 1/12 correlating directly to a 6' man (as is common knowledge here) might have SOME logical backing behind it involving the number 12 and it's association with inches/feet?

The average european has no idea that 6' is the size of a man, though, or how many inches there are in a foot.

Americans know about metric system because they have to learn it for science and industry, but Europeans only hear about feet and inches in movies.
>>
>>6471956
I hate how big the Hasbro Thors are. ToyBiz ones are pretty good size wear, but I don't like the costume.
>>
>>6472450
The average european doesn't browse /toy/. But the average /toy/ browser has heard the terms "6 inch scale" and "1/12 scale" used interchangeably (even though saying "6 inch scale" is fucking retarded and doesn't mean what they think). So knowing that they're interchangeable as terms around here, the math just scales up and logic would take over for anybody with a high school education.

No wonder Europe has not had a single major scientific breakthrough in over 60 years...
>>
>>6472463
i find it weirder that there are more south east asians here than there are europeans.
>>
>>6472530
Probably because of the insane costs of being a euro toy collector compared to asian or american.
>>
File: IMG_20170625_153955412.jpg (4MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170625_153955412.jpg
4MB, 4032x2268px
>>6468682
>Are you not picky about scale and just do whatever you think fits well enough?
I'm a little picky, i really like how NECA's Marines, Aliens and Predators seem to fit well together and i enjoy it even more when other figures match that scale (you know, Predators hunting Stormtroopers and other matchups), but that doesn't usually work, so i just try to get stuff that fits at least a little with each other.

My favorite scale is somwhere between Marvel Legends and Figuarts.
>>
>>6472463
typical shit slinging burgerboy
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.