[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hybrid Metal Figurations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

File: H033.jpg (67KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
H033.jpg
67KB, 720x960px
Anyone here familiar with Herocross' Hybrid Metal Figurations work? Like how the quality is for the price and all that.

This Scrooge McDuck.is a beautiful toy and I think I need it in my life.
>>
File: H034.jpg (87KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
H034.jpg
87KB, 720x960px
He comes with pretty much everything I could want to.

Also forgot to ask about what height these figures are.
>>
>>6446945
>$595
Jesus Christ. Much as I want a Scrooge, that's just fucking absurd.

Anyway, I haven't heard the greatest things about these figures unfortunately. Standard diecast problems--loose joints that are impossible to re-tighten, easily chipped paint, poor weight distribution.
>>
>>6446948
That's in Hong Kong dollars. The nephews are listed as $230 each on their cards, but BBTS has them for $30 USD each.
>>
>>6446948
This. Also the torso is a metal core covered with a soft rubbery body. The rubber is incredibly soft and can be easily marked or scratched and will definitely not age well.

These figures look good in pics, but they're far from perfect and definitely aren't worth the price.
>>
>>6446948

It's funny because if you buy him for that Scrooge would surely think less of you.
>>
>>6446942
>>6446945

I literally fucking gasped when I saw this. I've wanted a Scrooge figure since I was a kid.

I can't wait for this to go up for preorder.
>>
>>6446945
those better be Zimbabwe dollars cuz fuck that shit
>>
Previous thread had several people vouching for the line's quality and one saying the one they got was horrible.

Not sure what to think, but I'm getting Scrooge regardless.
>>
>>6447022
There's a guy on /toy/ that had a really bad experience with a HMF and he brings it up in every relevant thread, but I've only heard positive things about the line from literally everywhere else.

http://thefwoosh.com/index.php/2013/06/hybrid-metal-figuration-donald-duck/
>>
>>6447028
Seems to be the case. Only started paying attention to the threads after Scrooge was teased, so I didn't know he had posted before.
>>
I don't even get why these have diecast. It's not like they're robots or anything.
>>
>>6447044
It's helpful for characters with wonky proportions that don't have a good center of gravity. The diecast metal helps the figures stand properly.
>>
>>6447074
That would have been fine if it was confined to the feet, but anon above says they have a metal core to their torsos. That is literally the worst idea when combined with the stick-thin duck legs.
>>
File: DuckTalesDonald.jpg (45KB, 400x298px) Image search: [Google]
DuckTalesDonald.jpg
45KB, 400x298px
>>6446942
>>6446945
So Scrooge is wearing his 80s DuckTales colors, and I think I spy Webby in there, as well. Seems like a missed opportunity, then, that they didn't go with Donald's navy uniform to further tie-in with that show.
>>
Is Donald still for sale anywhere?
>>
>>6447044
Making things out of diecast is a way for them to charge premium prices despite it costing less to produce.

People think that weight = quality = expensive, when it's just the opposite. Just look at how people think because something "feels hollow" it must mean it's cheap.

So i gotta post proof with my post to show that I'm not trolling or shitposting?
http://www.fieldingmfg.com/frequently-asked-questions.asp
Diecast is less expensive to produce than making it out of plastic.

Again, the only reason that diecast is used and marketted is solely because of the weight makes people think it's more expensive.
>>
File: 4h RAMATHORR MOLD-1.jpg (44KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
4h RAMATHORR MOLD-1.jpg
44KB, 700x525px
>>6447234
And to make it clearer

>How much will my production tools cost?
>Average tooling for a zinc die-casting part can run from $5,000 to over $20,000 depending upon complexity and additional cavities if we're trying to drive high volume. One of the real advantages of zinc die casting is you really don't need as many cavities (which results in less overall part-to-part variation) as you would if you were going to injection mold the part because zinc has a faster cycle time. Plastic molding tends to have a slower cycle, so you need more cavities to get production quantities and still retain responsiveness in production.
>Average tooling costs for plastic molds range from $3,000 to over $50,000 depending upon complexity and cavitation.

As most people here know, the tools/molds are the biggest expenses when it comes to producing toys.
Toys are very complex and can require a lot of molds, as all their little pieces add up.

So again, diecast is very much a marketing term and gimmick to increase the price of the product, despite being cheaper, since it's seen mostly on collector lines and made a big deal like even including it in the name like "Hybrid Metal Figuartions"
>>
>>6447234
>>6447241
kind of amazing that after 30 years of toys that are diecast aging so bad where things like joints eroding away, paint flaking off and over all just falling apart that buyers haven't wised up. I sometimes think there is a primal aspect to wanting shiny metal over other materials
>>
File: rotocast troll.jpg (38KB, 400x533px) Image search: [Google]
rotocast troll.jpg
38KB, 400x533px
>>6447287
I'm pretty sure it's just about weight.

Like i said in my other post, people even think plastic toys feel cheap if they don't weigh a lot or "feel hollow", despite the lightness usually making the toy more durable and/or easier to stand up (less weight on the joints).

So figures like this weren't liked because despite being so big, it really didn't weigh a lot. Rotocast toys in general are seen negatively.

And yes, diecast has major drawbacks when it comes to long term conditions, like paint and joint wear.
>>
>>6446942
I owned a couple of these.

They're die-cast metal, so depending on your views of die-cast toys, that's either a great thing or a terrible thing. I have owned Donald Duck and a Batman. They're ok collectibles.

Is he really going to be nearly $600?

Not worth it. I promise you, you will be disappointed at that price. And he will not be able to hold that rifle properly, I can guarantee that
>>
I thought the general consensus for these figures is that they were generally awful?

I've only owned one of these figures, and I'd have to concur, unless they've really, really upped their game as of recent.

I had one of the Predators, and it felt and looked cheap as fuck. These figures use a die-cast under "skeleton" figure, and all the body parts are plastic that slip over the skeleton. The parts themselves, in my experience, moved around a lot, and personally, I thought the joints on the diecast were of questionable QC/build.

Also, the accessories were so fucking cheap and undetailed that I've seen figures that are a fraction of that cost come with better looking stuff.

The paint also seemed very thick and sloppy looking for a $100 toy.

About the only thing I really liked about it was that his mask had a working laser-sight that lights up.

Honestly, I had it for a week or two and sold it. It just felt flimsy.
>>
File: pce-5.jpg (34KB, 372x460px) Image search: [Google]
pce-5.jpg
34KB, 372x460px
>>6447297

I second this. Coming from the doll collector side of things integrity toys had a controversy a few years back because the dolls leg joints were wearing out so fast. Turns out when somebody cut open a broken body they had integrity had just been gluing a heavy metal nut in every doll.

But of course peopl e had to try and justify it because toy collectors equate weight with quality like a bunch of monkeys.
>>
>>6447241
Working in jewelry, I've been saying this for YEARS. And tend to get hate-flamed for it.

Zamak, the technical term for diecast, is something that is used in the industry for Teaching people who to cast, and work with metal, because of how inexpensive it is.

It's frequently known as either, " White metal" or "garbage metal".

It's just a Tin/Zinc ( sometimes aluminum/Zinc/Copper) allow, that's just garbage.

Drives me bonkers how much people get duped by it.

I Mean, it's fine if you like it, just be aware it's not expensive, or valuable, or "higher quality"
>>
File: 41D3WGHTTRL._SY355_.jpg (20KB, 317x355px) Image search: [Google]
41D3WGHTTRL._SY355_.jpg
20KB, 317x355px
I really like the look of these figures, but I'm just not sure I $60+ like him.

I got this guy for $6 instead. His coat comes off but he's not in classic colors.
>>
>>6447149
They did Donald long before they started doing anything Ducktales.
>>
Did these guys do a Mickey Mouse?
>>
>>6447287
>after 30 years
Paint can get fucked on diecast real fast. My Legacy Dragonzord is just a couple years old, does nothing but sit on a shelf, and the paint on his feet is fucked.
>>
>>6446945
>598
Who is this for?
>>
>>6448227

Read the thread, PLEASE
>>
>>6447085
Their turtles ended up being absolute garbage so I don't really have hope for this line
>>
>>6447297
This. In the formers scene a lot, and I mean A LOT of people(you can see it in the reviews) love it when a toy has diecast and muh heft
>>
$600 is a lot of money but it's probably worth it since these are made out of metal and not cheapo plastic like a dog toy.
>>
>>6448216
That's because you probably slide him around rather than pick him up when you move him
>>
>>6448324

That's chink dollars, though.

Its more like $60~$70 in actual, human money.
>>
>>6448452
/pol/ pls....
>>
>>6447381
Gutted to read that. I wanted that Predator so much.
>>
>>6448452
Still not worth the price.
>>
>>6447532
>>6447386
Yep, that's human nature for you.
People obviously get angry when you point out the cheaper manufacturing process and longevity issues, because they need to believe that that they're getting their money worth from this process.

The only thing that really costs more when using diecast over plastic is the shipping, but that really doesn't add value to your toy, does it?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.