[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else a fan of kenner's alien line?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 12

File: IMG_0886.jpg (981KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0886.jpg
981KB, 2592x1936px
Anyone else a fan of kenner's alien line?
>>
Love them. Use to collect them as a kid. Been passively collecting them back over time.

Always loved the Gorilla alien the most. Wanted to like the Mantis and Crab more, but their posability is weird.
>>
>>6425982
They were some of my favorite figures as a kid. I'm thrilled NECA is redoing some of them. I bought their Mantis and Gorilla aliens. If they do a bull alien, scorpion alien, panther alien, snake alien, king alien, flying queen alien, and ATAX mech, I could die a happy man.
>>
>>6425982
great designs, but they were fragile as shit
I still have nearly my entire toy collection from my childhood (as one of five children, I got maybe 3-5 action figures a year, max, most were GI joe tier) and only the gorilla and flying queen alien toy survived from that particular toyline.
I've been meaning to unload the rest of it on ebay
>>
>>6426039
Fragile? I had over half of them and was rough as shit with them as a kid and they never even got loose joints. They're built like tanks.
>>
>>6426046
weird
leg after leg broke.
It seemed like the same problem that TMNT slash and Tokka had, too much friction on the joint.
>>
File: Kenner Aliens.jpg (266KB, 1000x725px) Image search: [Google]
Kenner Aliens.jpg
266KB, 1000x725px
>>6425999
Agree on everything. Just a few more joints would make them a lot more versatile, but they are still nice. Wonder if NECA's offerings are worth checking out.
>>
File: tumblr_ot9uu9xpou1r4kbyzo1_1280.jpg (501KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ot9uu9xpou1r4kbyzo1_1280.jpg
501KB, 1280x960px
>>6426132
QC can be an issue sometimes, mine's knees are pretty weak, but I can probably tighten them with floor polish or something, for the moment I just use a basic figure stand. But I think they're pretty great. Really cool looking and fun to pose.
>>
>>6426132
on board for panther!
>>6426180
I wish they had downsized the xenomorph skull projections, the gorilla always had a smaller, but broader head than the others
>>
File: madokham-hands.jpg (229KB, 550x761px) Image search: [Google]
madokham-hands.jpg
229KB, 550x761px
>>6426053
Gee. Wonder why?
>>
File: Kenner Aliens 2.jpg (234KB, 1000x602px) Image search: [Google]
Kenner Aliens 2.jpg
234KB, 1000x602px
>>6426180
I'll have to take a look sometime. Last NECA I bought was one of their Godzillas.
>>
>>6426376
What I don't get about the Kenner aliens is the inconsistent quality. Notice how the Panther alien on the left looks like it's made of a cheaper plastic than the Crab on the right? And the detail and paint on the Bull in the middle is FAR better than either of the other two?
>>
File: 7905bf63aa82462040b2cf68779eefe9.jpg (127KB, 1024x825px) Image search: [Google]
7905bf63aa82462040b2cf68779eefe9.jpg
127KB, 1024x825px
>>6429945
I'd need to dig them out of storage, but I don't recall the Night Cougar feeling any cheaper than the others. Maybe he's just a more flat black color. I remember washing him off in the sink for the photo; bent the head down a bit too far and the spring loaded back alien shot off and hit me in the forehead. Actually was a bit surprising because I forgot that was a feature.
>>
File: FlyingQueen.jpg (190KB, 1300x818px) Image search: [Google]
FlyingQueen.jpg
190KB, 1300x818px
Found one at a flea market a few years back, six bucks.
>>
i always found it silly how Alien is such a mature and brutal franchise for 18+, yet there are kids toys based on it.

Yeah we have toys about all kinds of franchises on this board, but kenner is not a "collectors" toy line. its actually targeted at kids.
>>
>>6430669
There was going to be an Aliens cartoon in the early 90s, which is what all of Kenner's designs came from. The cartoon never got made, but they still released the toys. Cartoons based on R-rated movies were pretty common back then. Robocop, Rambo, Toxic Avenger, etc.
>>
File: DSC00175.jpg (136KB, 640x480px)
DSC00175.jpg
136KB, 640x480px
>>6425982
More than 20 years later and still love these creepy creatures.

I like what Neca has done with the new versions, but the originals still have their charm
>>
>>6425982
Are they 3.75"?
>>
File: DSC_0167.jpg (227KB, 972x1000px)
DSC_0167.jpg
227KB, 972x1000px
>>6430669
It would be nice to know how well the Kenner line did back then. I bought the toys as a 15 year old in 1992, but did kids in the, say, 8-12 age range want them? Guess it's all about the presentation. Focus on the adventure and alien fighting action; if Kenner had given the figures GI Joe level articulation I would have been wanting them as a 12 year old.

>>6430853
I sometimes wonder what the toy industry would look like today, if the myriad things that killed broadcast cartoons hadn't happened.

https://www.anthonynotes.com/2014/09/29/rip-saturday-morning-cartoons-reasons-theyre-dead/
>>
File: 1499444337875.gif (2MB, 235x240px)
1499444337875.gif
2MB, 235x240px
>>6425982
>mfw that was my first Alien figure
Fucking loved the Kenner Line. I had that, Drake and Apone
>>
coverage of new arcade game inspired Aliens figures: http://news.toyark.com/2017/07/19/sdcc-2017-gallery-neca-aliens-predator-260305
>>
>>6431534
For what is worth, I was born in 84 and when the toys came out everyone had at least one, usually the scorpion or the snake. They were really popular when I was a kid, and I live in Mexico.
>>
>>6430284
It's most likely a texture thing, but I distinctly remember the Panther/Cougar Alien and the Boar Alien looking and feeling like a completely different plastic than the others. They were made of a much harder, hollow feeling plastic whereas the others were softer and felt more solid.

>>6430636
Great deal. These aren't overly pricey figures but she's one of the trickier ones to get these days.
>>
File: Poacher.jpg (377KB, 823x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Poacher.jpg
377KB, 823x1024px
>>6432626
Thank you for the info. So, around 8 years old, kids liked them and parents bought them, despite the R-rated origin. Did you and your friends buy the Marines, and if so did you like them despite the limited articulation? I just bought the Aliens because after growing up with GI Joes, anything less articulated was passed over.

>>6432616
Neat looking stuff. I stopped by a few local TRUs to see about buying a Neca Alien but there were just a few Marine two packs, and despite looking nice didn't feel up to dropping $45 on them. Maybe it's not feasible, but it would be nice to see a new non-Hasbro Aliens line at some halfway point between Kenner and GI Joe/Neca quality, with a more parent-friendly price tag. Would kids go for it, or would it languish on store shelves in favor of electronic gadgets and construction toys?

Hopefully in some nearby parallel universe where things turned out better, kids are playing with Aliens: Mutation War figures. Sergeant Leones and his squad of Bug Stompers take their Mark 3 Light and Sound Action dropship down to the surface of AR-558. Their orders are to find out why the transmitter relay stopped working, but they're almost overrun by what Doc calls Lamprey Aliens (with spring loaded bite attack)! Who wins? You decide!
>>
>>6434112
>but it would be nice to see a new non-Hasbro Aliens line at some halfway point between Kenner and GI Joe/Neca quality, with a more parent-friendly price tag.
>halfway point between Kenner and GI Joe/Neca quality

What, exactly, is considered a "halfway point" in this particular instance? Those three examples vary radically...

Not only that but the existing average NECA Alien figure runs $20~$25, which is pretty standard for an action figure in this day and age.
>>
>>6431534
>8-12 age range want them

Hell yeah. Even without seeing the movies, what kid wouldn't want a crazy gorilla alien to fight the GI joes or have your TMNT figures fight cyborgs.

While I didn't get them when I was younger (never went to the store that much for toys and could only get things for birthdays/Christmas) I still really like the creativity that was put into the Aliens/Predator Kenner lines.
>>
>>6434505
I was 5 and in kindergarten when the Kenner Aliens came out. I wasn't allowed to watch the movies, but I wanted the toys anyway. I remember bringing one with me to school once and my teacher couldn't believe it was a thing sold to kids because it was so creepy looking.

I wish I still had them, but I guess they were all given away at some point, like a lot of my old toys. At least I can replace them with Neca's versions.
>>
>>6434219
If Kenner had used ARAH Joe level articulation, I would have bought the Marines back then and I probably would today. Same thing with the Aliens, a bit more articulation. Kenner's Alien sculpts were fine so maybe NECA was a bad example. The idea was an Aliens line marketed in a non-collector format. Also note that I questioned the idea's feasibility.

I'm aware of how much NECA figures cost, been buying them on and off for years. Didn't feel like buying two at once, and I wanted an Alien, not a Marine. If the average single non-collector action figure costs $20-25 dollars at retail I haven't seen it.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.