[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Maintaining figures in tropical conditions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7

File: 0007_sy-320.jpg (12KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
0007_sy-320.jpg
12KB, 720x480px
>living in humid tropical country
>no air conditioning at home, just open air and electric fans which suffice
>however, figures/statues are kept in wood cabinet with glass doors

So far my collections are looking fine and I try to do some dusting in a while to keep things less dirtier. But what I get worried about is the humidity. Any tips for making sure no funky chemical stuff with the plastic/paint happens over the years? Should I start saving up for a different cabinet?

I'm a bit new to figure collecting especially maintenance, so any tips & guidelines are appreciated
>>
>>6419427
>wood cabinet with glass doors
It's good enough as long as that's not exposed to the sun. Toss these dehumidifiers in to reduce moisture. If you want to go a step further consider applying weather strips to the cabinet
>>
I've tried to purge as much upholstered and wooden furniture as possible, and to keep air flowing. My books still rot on my shelves, so everything paper has to go in a sterilite bin with a box of baking soda. I opted for a pair of metal apothecary cabinets to display things.
>>
>>6419434
Sunlight's definitely kept to a minimum in my room. Especially near the cabinet. Got some posters up that I wouldn't want to fade as well.

>Toss these dehumidifiers in to reduce moisture
Was there supposed to be a picture?

I'll take a look around my local stores for weather strips, thanks

>>6419438
Got a picture of your cabinets? I have a feeling google images is giving me the wrong idea
>>
File: 50269448_Alt01.jpg (33KB, 520x520px) Image search: [Google]
50269448_Alt01.jpg
33KB, 520x520px
>>6419443
Target called them a "linen tower" cabinet, and made them for bathrooms. Unfortunately, I think they are discontinued on the site, I need more than two. I would love 4 in every room, each one with a jar of silica dessicant.
>>
>>6419474
Looks great. We don't have Target in our country but I'll keep an eye out for something similar.
>>
>>6419427

Singapore collector here. Our weather is as tropical and as humid as they come.

In this kind of weather, the heat, uv and moisture are your worst enemies. They'll not only discolour your figures and make them leak, they'll also make that wooden cabinet mouldy.

Get packs of silica gel, and replace them often.

Air out the thing once in a while. Like leave the glass open at night once a week.

If you can, go to an auto shop and buy uv tinted coating for the glass. Comes in a roll of one-side-sticky plastic sheet. Keeps sunlight from bleaching your figures.

Don't smoke in the same house.

Open your figures.

Face the fact that your toys WILL get sticky thanks to the damn heat. All you can do is slow down the process.
>>
Just so you know, if you live in an armpit, you don't want anything that can be closed up.

Moisture will get in unless it's water tight, so having an enclosed space means that shit will get fucked up worse.
Like with how temperatures fluctuate throughout the time of the day, so does the humidity level. You want to have them venting all day long basically. An enclosed space has a harder time to vent and those silica packs don't really do shit, as you need the air to circulate.
Silica packets and their like work best in compact areas and anything big enough to hold multiple toys sprawling about is no good.

captcha: different colored leaves are street signs
>>
File: 71J1AhiaRWL._SL1500_.jpg (143KB, 785x1200px) Image search: [Google]
71J1AhiaRWL._SL1500_.jpg
143KB, 785x1200px
>>6420220
I agree. That's why it's important to own enough dessicant to make King Tut.
>>
>>6419438
>My books still rot on my shelves

that's crazy, I can't even imagine that as someone in the UK where the weather has almost no impact on our daily lives year round.

Would AC/Central Air eliminate that from happening? Dehumidifiers?
>>
I didn't want to start a new thread, but does anyone know where I can buy bulk acid free bags for figures?
>>
>>6419957
Lol, I'm in Philippines, so I guess it's almost similar. It's been cold at night here lately, so I'll start opening em up. There's hardly any sunlight in my room let alone light directly hitting the cabinet.

>Open your figures.

Aw man. I got a few rare copies that I have no intention of opening too.

>Face the fact that your toys WILL get sticky thanks to the damn heat. All you can do is slow down the process.

How do you eliminate the stickiness once it happens?

>>6420220
Should I remove the glass doors altogether and just dust off my figures frequently?
>>
File: carded.jpg (87KB, 466x640px) Image search: [Google]
carded.jpg
87KB, 466x640px
>>6421157
>no intention of opening
I strongly advise you to open them up, especially if they are carded/blisters from the late 90s and early 2000s. That's when toy companies started using more of the rubbery PVC material that leaks plasticizers.

What may be even worse are the clear elastic bands hasbro in-particular started using around the same time. These dry and rot like rubber bands and I've seen them leach away paint on the toy they go over. I've also seen many of those Star Wars prequel diorama boxsets where all the bands have been reduced to dust and the figures are free to bounce around the sealed boxes.

Sadly, the packaging for lower-end toys are really designed for shipping the toy from the factory to the shelves and aren't really made to last, they will rot faster than the figures themselves especially in the tropics.
>>
>>6421203
How about packaging in more modern toys like 2007-current?
>>
>>6421203
> the packaging for lower-end toys are really designed for shipping the toy from the factory to the shelves and aren't really made to last
This is true for practically all toylines.
Everythings basically bleached white or just plain ol cardboard, which is super acidic and the plastic windows/bubbles are cheapshit too.
Tthe only thing that keeps most packaging today from yellowing like older boxes is the lamination, which carries the same problems the cheapo plastic bubbles have.

>>6421157
Invest in air conditioning.
Portable units are only a few hundred bucks and they suck up a lot of moisture from the air. Literally gallons of water a day.
Seriously, this is the best option. You're killing three birds with one stone: better life, less moisture, heat is significantly reduced

But if you're too poor for that, yes, take the glass off and dust every couple of weeks.
>>
File: LudmanJalousies-25.jpg (164KB, 1000x1002px) Image search: [Google]
LudmanJalousies-25.jpg
164KB, 1000x1002px
>>6420689
It would mostly fix it in a modern house. Mine has non-windows like these, that would need a complete replacement along with a full new central air system. Just too much $$$ for a 1957 house I only have a 25% ownership in.
>>
>>6421157

Sunlight may not be strong, but UV bounces everywhere. I have seen toys misb inside drawers that suffer from uv bleaching.

I swear by googone to clean up elasticizer leak. Some anons here will tell you it eats paint, plastic etc... It will eat spray paints, but the industrial paint used by toy company is fine. I haven't wiped any paint off my stuff yet.

Keep the glass. Just uv tint them if you can, and air them out occasionally. It's way better than trying to keep up the dusting. Plastic and dust love each other.
>>
>>6421223
As bad if not worse.
>>
>>6421337
Nope nope nope.
Don't use Goo Gone on your toys. It can be corrosive on various plastic types, so i would not chance it.
Best way to clean plasticizers is just dish soap and friction. There's nothing you can really do to prevent it from coming out again, so all you can really do is wash it off.

>air them out occasionally.
You'd have to do this everyday and know when the moisture level is down.
It's just better not keep the glass.

>It's way better than trying to keep up the dusting. Plastic and dust love each other.
Nah, that only seems to be true because there's a light spray of lube on pretty much every toy from the manufacturing process. If you wash your figures as you get them, you'll clean this lube off, which makes dust stick onto them.
Of course, moisture helps dust stick on too.

Don't be lazy and just clean them when they need to.
>>
File: téléchargement (4).jpg (6KB, 237x213px) Image search: [Google]
téléchargement (4).jpg
6KB, 237x213px
>>6419427
First use an hygrometer to know how much humidity you have to deal with.
>>
>>6419427
You can make a dehumidifier for fairly cheap with a peltier module.
Your best best is a active dhumidifier system. Passive ones uses salts that have to be replaced often.
>>
Can anyone help me here? I just took my Venom Snake from its box. Its been quite a while since I had him exposed so he was all stiff. I was moving his head and removed, but I'm having problems to put his head back to his neck. I forced a little and it seems to have made some marks around the entrance of the neck and, sorry for a lack of a better term, pushed down the edge of it. I live in South America, so its "hot" here, Maybe it was because of that? What should i do?
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.