[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stuff appeared in my toys, what is it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20170712_042145.jpg (3MB, 2160x3840px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170712_042145.jpg
3MB, 2160x3840px
Hey guys, I returned home for the holidays and upon checking out my toys some of them, specially Revoltech figures, figmas and SAS, have some kind of 'dust' or 'mold' on them, easily removable but clearly different from common dust.

The climate around here is pretty humid, so could it be mold? It seems pretty mild, but I don't want my toys to succumb to mold. Are my toys screwed? Is there anything I could do?
>>
wow that's hella gross
rip lazengann
>>
Looks like a kind of mite. I had to deal with them earlier this year but thankfully I got rid of all of them before they got in the toy room.
>>
>>6415815
Mold thrives in unchecked humidity so maybe. It's not sticky right? If it's sticky it's plasticizer leaking. It could also just be dust that got nasty due to excess humidity.

Use an air conditioner. Humidity isn't good for toys or lots of things in general.
>>
I had some stuff like that built up on an old Lego set I had just sitting around for years. I just cleaned it off and it never came back, never thought it might have been mold.
>>
Yeah could be mold, and with the mold comes mold mites.
>>
Is there anything on most toys that mold would even be able to thrive on?
>>
eww he ashy
>>
>>6415820
I hope I can get him cleaned up, I'll spend tomorrow checking the figs and cleaning them just in case.

>>6415822
Wow I hope it isn't mites, I'll be on the lookout anyway just in case, thanks pal.

>>6415824
Doesn't feel sticky, it might be what you say, dust with humidity. I don't have an air conditioner but I'll try and get the dehumidifier here regularly, thank you!

>>6415825
This feels nice to read, I hope mine is just that and that cleaning it up and taking care of the humidity gets rid of it. Thank you pal.

>>6415826
I'll have to clean this up kick just in case, it cleans up easy so doesn't feel like mold at all.

>>6415828
Who knows, I'm just a little panicky, don't really want to lose toys because of my carelessness.
>>
>>6415828
No there isn't but when I found mind I found them on a heat register. Something else is drawing them there, they just happen to be on your toys too. There is probably another spot in your place that has the source.
>>
>>6415815
It is frosting. You are fun. Don't do. Just clean it off.
>>
>>6415815
Can you show where you stored them
>>
>>6417047
Thanks m8, tomorrow I will clean all of them up and rearrange.

>>6417055
Some of them were in a Ikes Detolf shelf, other in another Ikea shelf but more guarded, don't seem to have gotten so much damage, and others were just sitting in the desktop of the room.

>>6417061
No housemates except my family, no hotglue in here.
>>
>>6415815
Just wipe it clean and dry it off? I have a friend whose entire Marvel Universe collection got covered in a THICK layer of weird "furry" dust. It was so thick you could blow it off like dandelions.

I didn't consider that it might be mold. Since I didn't think that plastic would be a particularly good place for mold to grow. But thinking about it, it's probably mold, so you should better attend to it.
>>
This is something I see on prepainted D&D and Star Wars minis made by Wizards of the Coast. It is a white dusty film. Some people have said it is the plastic degrading, or a fungus of some kind. They recommend cleaning the piece and adding a steamer to prevent further growth.
>>
>>6420208
What do you mean with 'steamer', anon? English isn't my first language and nothing comes to mind.
>>
>>6420608
I meant to say sealant, but my phone autocorrect changed it to steamers. Which makes no sense to a native born English speaker too.

You want to use a clear gloss or matte sealant to prevent the fungus from reaching their food source. At the same time I have seen painted and sealed miniatures develop the white stuff too.
>>
>>6420906
Oh, you mean like a paint sealant on the figs? I was thinking about cleaning all of the affected figs up and regularly throw the dehumidifier in the room to keep the humidity in check, it helps my breathing too so it's a win-win.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.