[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New to Collecting/Getting Started

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: CqSM6hiUIAA-JJu.jpg (148KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
CqSM6hiUIAA-JJu.jpg
148KB, 1200x800px
sup /toy/. As the title says, I'm new to toy collecting. I've always had a few military guys & soldier action figures laying around, but I've been itching to collect something better. I saw the pictured figure and would love to dive right in. Which companies make the best for what I want? Where do I start? Sorry for the newfagy post, I'm just brand new to anything besides what I see at Target or Walmart
>>
>>6397936

bigbadtoystore.com

That's where you need to go. Search Amazon for figures that are out of stock and avoid eBay until you're familiar with how to avoid bootlegs.
>>
Determine the following
>Scale. Common scales are 1/6, 1/12, 1/18,
"minis"
>Price. High-end or general retail
>Origin. Japanese or Western companies. Their country of manufacture are all China/Vietnam/India though.
>Character/Franchise.
>>
>>6397936
The picture you see is the Gurlukovich soldier from MGS2. He is from the brand of figure known as FIGMA and is in the 1/12 scale or more specifically is 6 inches. The Figma brand is Japanese and like most Japanese brands prides itself in articulation and so SHOULD be great for posing, however this figure is not so great for posing and is probably quite expensive now due to the fact that the stock of these figures is extremely small and so this figure will probably have its price risen.

What scale are you looking to collect? do you care about articulation?
>>
>>6397946
Gotcha, ty
>>6397947
>>6397948
1/12 seems like something I'd be into, or there abouts. Nothing smaller than that though. I don't think I care so much about articulation as long as they're not statues and can move around like their head, arms, legs and knees. As for price? Not sure, I generally assume figures go for $20 at the bare minimum and only go up on price. I don't have a limit but I'll know it when I see it.
>>
>>6397955
>1/12
>head, arms, legs and knees
>$20
hasbro mattel 6"~7" inch superhero action figures at target/walmart.
>>
File: 06.jpg (284KB, 800x1131px) Image search: [Google]
06.jpg
284KB, 800x1131px
If you're really into millitary figures, it's hard to do better than Damtoys. These are 1/6th scale, so about a foot tall, and they're a little pricey at around $200 apiece. But I have a few and they make a wonderful display collection.
>>
get out while you still can
>>
>>6397946
>bigbadtoystore

Dont buy import figures from them. They usually charge 2x or 3x retail the whole store is a ripoff. Buy imports directly from jap stores. Never buy local.
>>
File: DSC_1322.jpg (1MB, 2517x1745px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1322.jpg
1MB, 2517x1745px
>>6397955
As for price, figures have a really huge range.
If you're going for Japanese stuff, right now they're quite expensive for the dimensions.

The one you posted is still around for retail price (around 80 usd) on amazon.jp, but I don't know about availability in your country.
Sadly there is not much around, military related, in 1/12 scale.

Again from Japan, there is this "Little armory" thing, they're plastic models of 1/12 weapons, there are a lot of models already, and in constant expansion. They require minor assembly, and as all plastic models, the more time you invest on them (painting and giving details) the better they get.
They're also doing a collaboration with Figma (same brand as the guy you posted) with Japanese schoolgirls with military gear.
In my picture you can see the only of these schoolgirls that's been released (a second one will come out next year), my collection of little armory stuff, and the same Gurlukovich soldier you posted.

If you go to 1/6 scale, there is a lot of military stuff, but that scale is on another level of pricings, for the figures themselves, and for accessories (clothing, weapons, etc).
Also, presonally I think 1/6 figures are less versatile, because they take a lot of space, and won't keep poses unless you use dedicated stands.

I'm biased here, but I can't stand stuff like >>6397959 suggested. It's like saying "I collect motorcycles" but all you have is pink tricycles.
But after all, it all depends on what you want.
>>
>>6397936
>make solid snake
>fuck up his face
>second figure random enemy soldier
>no more figures planned
Has Max Factory ever failed as hard as this?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.