[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Interesting/Minimal/Well Designed Toys

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 20

File: MatRandom_12[1].jpg (162KB, 960x1080px) Image search: [Google]
MatRandom_12[1].jpg
162KB, 960x1080px
Hey /toy/, I'm a (mediocre) artist that has been tasked with designing and making a prototype of a single piece plastic dinosaur toy.
I have experience with 3DCG, 3D printing, sculpting, casting etc, so whatever route I choose, making the thing won't be a problem. However, I'm having an issue coming up with a good design that will fit the requirements of the group I'm making it for, which are:
>appealing to kids
>"modern and minimal" feel to it
>simple and cheap to produce
>not overly "cutesy" or "cartoony"
>somewhat educational
Do you guys have examples of interesting and well designed toys to get my gears going? (Pic kind of related)
Also if you make toys for child play any advice would be appreciated.
>>
Kids don't care about artistic, if you make it look like a dinosaur then they'll want it
>>
>>6397439
rip off dino.
>>
File: ChaosParadeinonLoose1a.jpg (37KB, 510x396px) Image search: [Google]
ChaosParadeinonLoose1a.jpg
37KB, 510x396px
So you're looking for stylized dinos?
>>
>>6397439
That's a wooden gorilla sculpture.
>>
>>6397534
>>6397552
Just stylized animals/toys in general
I couldn't find any good examples of dinosaur toys that fit
Even my OP picture is way to abstract but it's in the right direction
>>
You need the toy to be compliant with ASTM F963-16 to sell them at big retailers like Wal-Mart and Target with the age 3+ label
https://www.astm.org/Standards/F963.htm
>>
Make a hollow plastic plesiosaur that can float upright in a bathtub, and which can also be squeezed to squirt water from its mouth.
>>
>>6397603
This guy get its.
>>
File: pink-elephant-squirts.png (129KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
pink-elephant-squirts.png
129KB, 400x400px
>>6397603
Make the toy out of vinyl or a similar material, and adapt the design in this picture into the shape of a plesiosaur.
>>
File: mjwyBfUW0jUETs4fFiNS7YA.jpg (8KB, 225x169px) Image search: [Google]
mjwyBfUW0jUETs4fFiNS7YA.jpg
8KB, 225x169px
>>6397629
Go with a simple monochrome design like this only more compact and cartoony. In order to get the toy to float upright, the fins have to be heavier than the rest of the body and tucked underneath the body.
>>
>>6397635
It looks to me like the best option for producing a hollow toy is blow molding. I've found a list of companies that do blow molding on plasticsnewsdirectory.com
http://www.plasticsnewsdirectory.com/category/blow-molding
>>
File: dinosaurs-vs-alamo-3.jpg (172KB, 1600x778px) Image search: [Google]
dinosaurs-vs-alamo-3.jpg
172KB, 1600x778px
Exposed muscle and skeleton sections
>>
>>6397675
Plastic blow molding is a costly method for prototyping. Go get a quote from those vendors for kicks and giggles.
>>
File: 5131dbF+gnL._SY355_.jpg (22KB, 321x355px) Image search: [Google]
5131dbF+gnL._SY355_.jpg
22KB, 321x355px
Mind if I ask what you do as a living OP? I've wanted to get into toy design but not sure where to start
>>
>>6397575
I'm still waiting on someone to get information from the vendor we're using, but thats good to know.

>>6397603
>>6397609
>>6397629
>>6397635
>>6397675
Thats fucking awesome...but the toy is going to be a triceratops species. Sorry for being vague, but anonymity because 4chan is gross lol

>>6397694
I always liked those as a kid, and its "educational"!

>>6397786
I'm not a toy designer, I work as an animator (mostly 3D and stop motion) but I was given this opportunity by my mom for a charity she works with. But strong design sense and drawing skills are always good to have. I would look into industrial and character design courses.
>>
File: Cola tortoises.jpg (42KB, 800x514px) Image search: [Google]
Cola tortoises.jpg
42KB, 800x514px
>>6397439
I thought the image was a wooden scultpure of a Shambler for a second.

NOTE: I am not a professional toy designer.

As for trying to check all these boxes.
Kids (especially boys) want something "cool", this can either be crazy coloured or more drab "badass" realistic grimedge. These are often not cutesy, but often totally cartoony.
The problem with modern and minimal if you mean the adult "design" market is that they are often absolutely cartoony in a way. Simplified to a point where it starts to lack human or personality like qualities.
The educational part is tough, you can either go realistic for it to be educational, wich still will be cool and badass for the kiddies and has room for personality, but would completely negate the modern and minimal feel.
You could give it a playfeature, buildable or puzzle aspect for educational value, but that would probably make it way more expensive to produce.

I'd talk about your client about this.
The one thing i could think of is making some sort of robotic dinosaur, this will give room for modern and minimal design cues like shiny clean surfaces, mixed with being a badass robot/cyborg dinosaur for kids giving an explanation for the lack of character. Maybe even give it more realstic (maybe even working pushrods/pistons on legs or whatever for educational purposes)

While not educational, vinyl monster toys in the style from japan are a nice middleground between what kids like, cheap to produce but has also gathered an adult "design" following.
There are many many examples that range from very detailed and organic to simple clean shaped ones.

Using odd unicolour materials on otherwise more detailed designs can bridge the gap between modern/minimal and cool for kids too.
Silly Pic sort of related, but you get the idea.
>>
>>6398164
Sorry for incoherent typing.
But i meant to put more emphasis on the fact that especially younger kids like toys that they can project a personality on. Think of when you were young and a stuffed animal had an entire personality and charactertraits.
Going for the museum-artshop minimal style will gimp it in this department atleast imo.
>>
I would go and look at lots and lots of pictures of triceratops, just get a understanding of the anatomy and what makes it so iconic, and sketch out stuff. I think if you did something like the gorilla in your picture it would work well! Maybe for the educational part have its skeleton illustrated on the side of it or maybe find a way to make the packaging educational? Or if time allows maybe make a simple base showing it's diet and what kind of places it lived.
>>
>>6397694
1/3 skeleton exposed, 1/3 muscle exposed, 1/3 normal skin
>>
File: IMG_5531.jpg (20KB, 340x270px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5531.jpg
20KB, 340x270px
Just gonna two some that I thought might be close to what you were looking for
>>
File: IMG_5532.jpg (86KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5532.jpg
86KB, 1280x720px
>>
triceratops fidget spinner
>>
File: IMG_1110.png (150KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1110.png
150KB, 1024x576px
>>
>>6397694
this
>>
File: David Silvas Resin Kit.jpg (25KB, 500x362px) Image search: [Google]
David Silvas Resin Kit.jpg
25KB, 500x362px
David Silvas made articulated resin dinosaur figures that were geomtric in shape, not sure if that's to your liking but throwing it out there.
>>
>>6398523
Thats pretty cool!
>>
>>
>>6398164
>>6398170
Good point on personality, I didn't think of it that way. do you have examples of the vinyl monster toys you mentioned?

>>6398189
>>6398523
Something between these two would be coo land kind of what I was envisioning

>>6398175
I've been doing some studies but its very rough now
They were thinking some sort of "adoption certificate" which could have a stat sheet and stuff on it
But I also like the base idea, I had a velociraptor toy with a base and it really pushed the toy to the next level. I'm sure i still have it, but its somewhere strange since my last move

>>6399083
I also fucking love these
>>
>>6399113
Idk if this is the direction you were heading in anon but kind of combing the two ideas you liked maybe you could do kind of a "two layer" design, with a transparent body that is shaped like the whole dinosaur surrounding a solid, opaque Skelton like the second skull? That might check some boxes about being educational cause of bone structure idk. Maybe if you could even mold the body around a Skelton that can be filled in with an injector of some sort so kids could even do it themsleves with water or something if any of that makes sense
>>
When will you be done with the project? I really want to see the final result.
>>
File: Kaiju Vinyl comp.jpg (2MB, 3372x1684px) Image search: [Google]
Kaiju Vinyl comp.jpg
2MB, 3372x1684px
>>6399113
A rather hodgepodge of images and examples i found on google.
The aesthetics changed quite a bit from era to era and are interesting to look at for inspiration.
These vinyl monsters (often refered to as kaiju) range from the more classic toy look from the 60s to the more niche "art/designer" toys that are more exotic and strange looking to quite realistic depictions of the designs of the suits and models used in their sourcematerials.
(Pic related are mostly the first two categories)
>>
File: il_fullxfull_339198227.jpg (261KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull_339198227.jpg
261KB, 1500x1125px
>>6399227 transparent body around an opaque skeleton
you could try to make a stylized version of these old anatomical models, one with basic articulation for the major joints
>>
>download a free 3D model from internet
>put into blender
>decrease poly count
>https://docs.blender.org/manual/ja/dev/modeling/modifiers/generate/decimate.html
>profit

>somewhat educational
>dinosaur
lol, add feather or make a skeleton
>>
File: Ntkn5eT.jpg (45KB, 612x409px) Image search: [Google]
Ntkn5eT.jpg
45KB, 612x409px
>>6397694

I remember having one of those.
>>
This site has some artsy stuff
https://www.areaware.com/collections/toys-games
>>
>>6397566
>>6398189
Xtractaurs were the shit, but horribly distributed and no one gave a fuck about the game adding to their cost. Such a shame.
>>
I originally bought this as decor because I love cacti, but it's pretty fun to play with too.

If you want to make a modern minimalist toy, I would definitely go with wood.
>>
>>6399083
Oh man I had so many of these as a kid

I used to hang them from the ceiling of my bedroom.

One time my normie aunt and uncle came to visit and remarked how "morbid" it was. I couldn't think of a response because even at the age of eight I could tell how retarded the statement was.
>>
>>6404548
This looks amazing but I can only find it with painted veins and organs...
>>
>>6399227
>>6404548
that would be slick, gotta see how to actually do that, I can't imagine it'd be terribly hard.

>>6401912
thanks for putting that all together
I really like the awkward lumpy look on the top left kaiju. It really gives off that nice "convenience store claw machine" vibe. I'll have to look into these more
>>6400133
No idea. Still waiting on shit. idk how much progress I could post here, but I'd definitely shill the final product (but hopefully it'll come out well so I won't have to shill too hard)

>>6407494
There's some cool stuff there. I really dig these cards. I may have to buy a deck.

>>6408573
Noted
Though that is a main concern of mine: balancing child play ability with having something that a (kind of) normie could display.
>>
>>6409069
Thanks for liking the comment man. Always fun to see people make a design.
Any website/blog you have where we could catch the final thing if we miss it here?
>>
File: skeleton+transbody.png (877KB, 1338x624px) Image search: [Google]
skeleton+transbody.png
877KB, 1338x624px
>>6409028
also check Henshin Cyborg/Microman figures.
articulated, like I was thinking, except with robot innards instead of skeletons
>>
File: dino shell.jpg (29KB, 645x222px) Image search: [Google]
dino shell.jpg
29KB, 645x222px
>>6409530
end result being a bit like skeleton reconstructions, where the hypothesized soft tissue is the shaded bit. throw that bit of science in for extra educational content
>>
>>6397439
I this for creationist study? I'd indoctrinating kids?

Not too cartoony so they're not seen as kooks,not so realistic that they look like they rely on science?
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.