[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does /toy/ feel about Matty Collector?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: youmattybrah.jpg (21KB, 490x312px) Image search: [Google]
youmattybrah.jpg
21KB, 490x312px
Just bought a Rorschach from Gamestop made by Matty Collector for $25. It's alright. Nothing to write home about, bit overpriced at $25 but it's the first I've heard of them.
>>
>>6395720
...RIP?

Didn't they shut down as of this year?
>>
That toy is 4 years old and garbage
>>
>>6395720
How the hell did you find a WatchMen figure at a gamestop? Mine atleast carries recent shit
>>
>>6395763
Much of the remaining stock that MattyCollector tried to make artificially rare over the years, from DC to Ghostbusters to MOTUC, got sold to Gamestop a few months ago. There is also a Mattel's Shop website that is also selling a bunch of the leftover stock, including things that were nigh-impossible to get before.

Anti-Eternia He-Man, single card Horde Troopers, and some of the Filmation series can be found, for example.
>>
>>6395720

>the first I've heard of them

gtfo mr normie newfag
>>
>>6395780
I only collect obscure promotional GSC
>Having even heard of an American company
fucking normie get off of my board
>>
File: mattycollectorfail.jpg (39KB, 500x425px) Image search: [Google]
mattycollectorfail.jpg
39KB, 500x425px
>>6395720
The toys were great, if they're your thing--MOTU is one of my favorite lines ever, it was cool to finally get some real Ghostbusters figures (even if that line ended up being badly mismanaged), and it was great to see DCUC and JLU continue for a little while longer. I know a lot of people here hate reused bodies (but Marvel Legends are fine...?) but those were probably the most expansive and best DC lines that will ever exist.

All of this was soured by Matty catering to scalpers (ten is a reasonable limit for a small-run collector figure, right? Ten?), creating artificial demand by pulling figures and pretending they sold out, fucking up and having figures actually sell out without having enough set aside for subscribers (Fisto), holding lines hostage behind "subscription thermometers," partnering with the most incompetent and inefficient logistics company on the face of the planet in Digital River, and having a website so shoddily put together that for the first few years the traffic on sale days would crash the site and all you would see was pic related for 15 minutes, after which time everything was "sold out" (pulled to create artificial demand). Now I wonder if this wasn't also a lame tactic to make the figures seem even more rare and desirable.

To say nothing of that smirking prick Matty. I'll miss the toys, but I won't miss MattyCollector.
>>
>>6395720

>$25

Man you got scammed hard. That POS is worth maybe $10 max. Should have just bought the China overstock on ebay.
>>
>>6395907
Whenever I think of matty I will always think of incompetence. The first year or so of the line were forgivable but, after that it was clear the inmates were running the asylum.
>>
Pretty sure those things are 15 shipped for the whole set from Wal-Mart's website.
>>
>>6396307
I meant 15 for each figure in the wave not 15 for all the figures.
>>
The toys were okay, but way overpriced, and the QC was below par for what a collector line should have. Swapped body parts, ankles like bicycle wheels, paint slop, dents in limbs, that should not have happened. The toys would have been excellent if they weren't the same quality as kiddie line retail toys. The Filmation figures were especially shit quality, the paint slop was worse and He-Man's ankles are the ugliest thing possible.

They had the balls to limit their shit hard, sell it on a fucking schedule(and pretend a figure was a total failure if it took more than 15 minutes to sell out) then selling subscriptions with bully tactics of "if you don't buy at least 5 subscriptions per person, the line will die!" forcing people to buy shit they didn't want just to get what they did.

Then they had the guts to sodomize their customers using Digital River to run it, a company known to be terrible, and used the slowest shipping method possible that often lost packages.

And so far Super7 is doing such a middle finger of a job of taking over that the only ones defending them are idiots. Countless delays, limited preorders, ZERO extra stock to actually sell like anything else they make, forced entire wave preorders, and NOW the "resealable package" promise has been proven a lie with those getting the ultimates saying they're glued to a card. If QC turns out to be as bad as Mattel, then I hope people abandon the line.

>implying that will happen, MOTUC fanboys are as Stockholm Syndrome enslaved as a Hasbro customer
>anyone willing to put up with the crap QC and Digital River will probably enjoy S7 running things like shit, so long as they get their toys

>>6395720
Mattel has the whole line on their eBay store for $16 apiece.

>Gamestop

What do you expect from a store that gives you $5 in store credit for a game they resell for $45?
>>
>>6396385
I should add that watching Toyguru open up after Matty shut down was GLORIOUS. He said that Mattel, a multi-million dollar international company, was only willing to spend a bare minimum on the line, the website and its employees. He had to fight to get a lot of shit done, and things like 200X heads and other accessories getting cut were Mattel's budget decision- so they could sell them to you at extra cost in special packs. They scapegoated him in public for their choices and he had to take it, until he got fed up and quit. The whole 200X sub was Mattel's way of giving him the finger for quitting to make people think he cut 200X.

He-Man.org, of course, tore into him because how dare he A) not treat them like Jesus B) not openly disclose everything because he had signed NDAs and could not legally tell certain details without being sued into he poorhouse.

>yes, they wanted him to blab more even though they didn't like what they already heard
>typical attitude from a forum where even criticizing Mattel can get you warnings or a ban
>>
>>6396310

As good of a deal as there's ever been for these. Free shipping too. Couldn't resist and bought Comedian and Rorschach.

I hate myself
>>
Looking back, it's the fake sellouts that are the most egregious. Why they kept doing that horse shit after the first year or two is beyond me. While the last couple of years wasn't exactly brimming with mega popular releases, they still would've sold through alot more of their stock if they'd just let people have it when they came to the site looking for it.
>>
>>6396595
and now as a result they have so much shit stockpiled they're having trouble unloading it. Full price on the Mattel shop or Gamestop? Their eBay shop and their Walmart store have 40% off, but it's a slim selection, and they did a poor job of it on eBay, instead of discounting everything 40% they take the discount off in the cart, so browsing/searching lists them at full price.

They need to do 60% to 75% off on everything and just write off the losses, because having this shit in warehouses is only costing them more.
>>
It's glorious karma that they lost their billion dollar Disney princess license, and with it, having a shit ton of suit monkeys fired.

Truly, America's most evil toy company.
>>
How did Mattel even get so big anyway? It seemed when I was a kid there was more variety of action figures
>>
>>6397137
Mattel really didn't have a lot after He-Man and they did not have anything long lasting until their DC line.
They were pretty much the Jazwares of the 80s and 90s.
>>
>>6397137
People are probably going to be upset to hear it but that's how "free" markets work. You have one major success and you're free to fuck up forever without consequence. Ruth Handler ripped off a German doll, Barbie took off, and the rest is history.
>>
>>6397195
>They were pretty much the Jazwares

Nah, Mattel didn't sell toys that would break in the damn package because of tiny joints.

Although the overrated 200X line had some really thin hip joints and neck posts that would sometimes snap.

Sorry but when the toys had 2 more POA than the 80s toys, they may have had better sculpts but were still barely McStatues, sculpted by the guys who did a lot of McStatues.
>>
>>6397137
Barbie and Hot Wheels. He-Man may have bolstered the male action segment for a while in the 80s, but they honestly don't need it. As long as Barbie and Hot Wheels sell, and they have for over half a century, Mattel will be fine.
>>
>>6395770
>Ghostbusters
Really? I saw some old ones at a local comic shop and was thinking of getting them. Maybe I'll just look for Gamestop and Think Geek. Though I've only seen the Diamond ones theres.
>>
>>6395720
Some good figures came out of it, but Matty was really horribly mismanaged. The logistics company behind the site was shit, the buying experience was terrible, prices kept going up without increases in quality (this is still a problem with Mattel, the DC Multiverse line for example is only cranking out figures that are roughly as good as or in the case of the TV/Movie figures significantly worse than a comparable DCUC or Movie Masters release from almost a decade ago. They can't even figure out double jointed knees and elbows despite the fact that many late DCUC figures had them. It's completey unacceptable.) They might have lasted for 8 years, but they only really thrived for 3 or 4. Around 2011/2012 they stopped diversifying their lineup of brands (which were focused WAY too much around properties from the 80's, which when Matty launched were riding a nostalgia high but have since fallen significantly in popularity, they didn't keep up with their demographic.) Eventually the site became entirely based around DC and He-Man, and then they started their subscription services which were both unnecessary and farther complicated an unpleasant buying experience, but they also engaged in some of the most shame-inducingly awful business tactics to ever grace a major company, and this is from someone familiar with the practices of several businesses in death spirals under the control of private equity firms. The thermometer was one of the most amateur and disrespectful marketing tactics i've ever seen. It killed the DC line, because of course it would. The He-Man line became essentially the entirety of the site for the past 2-3 years and then it died because it had ran out of reasons to live. Oh and as for your Rorschach, it came out in 2013 and it sold out in like a day or two if memory serves, they had fake sellouts to create artificial demand on mass produced figures that are flooding the market now. Basically the whole thing was bullshit.
>>
>>6395720
I've never really had to deal with Matty's bullshit so I don't really have any strong opinion on the website, company or the toys.

But I'd be a liar if I said I didn't secretly want a toy of Matty himself. I dunno, I always liked his smug shit eating grin.
>>
File: guts greenies.jpg (30KB, 362x245px) Image search: [Google]
guts greenies.jpg
30KB, 362x245px
>>6397350
Man, you don't remember how bad their toys were.
Every year they had something to try and get popular with boys, but nothing ever stuck, besides He-Man.
This is what i meant about how they're like JazWares. They had shit in terms of properties and those they did have weren't very toyetic.

The only reason their stuff didn't break is because that shit was barely articulated. And when they were, like HeMans, their bands broke.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.