[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: they don't make them like they used to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 9

File: Screenshot_20170625-213214.jpg (270KB, 1079x698px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170625-213214.jpg
270KB, 1079x698px
ITT: they don't make them like they used to
>>
Besides perhaps King Shark, BAFs fucking suck these days. Especially Marvel legends. The Toybiz ML and Mattel DCUC BAFs were amazing
>>
>>6391413
>Mattel DCUC BAFs were amazing

No they were still pretty shitty
>>
>>6391416
Nah....
>>
>>6391508
I built over half of them as they were released. They mostly sucked. DCUC mostly sucked. Doomsday or King Shark aren't any better or worse than the DCUC BAFs.
>>
>>6391566
Well I liked them a lot better than Doomsday and the justice buster. And no, they did not mostly suck. Ultra humanite, Grodd, Darkseid, chemo, kilowog and grundy are all great figures among others
>>
File: MLSwarlock-5.jpg (71KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
MLSwarlock-5.jpg
71KB, 640x426px
>>6391413
>BAFs fucking suck these days. Especially Marvel legends.
See, for a while I would have agreed with you, but we just got Warlock, which is possibly the best sculpt Hasbro has done in years and has a great looking paintjob to match. I also gotta give up some respect for Rhino--I don't like the character at all, but it's a nice textured sculpt with some subtle drybrushing. I was surprised I liked it so much.

>>6391576
Those were alright. I tired of them quickly and ended up selling them though. Only one I kept was Chemo cause he's real cute.
>>
>>6391600
I havent held Warlock in hand, but from pictures he seems pretty solid. Overall i've just found the last several BAFs (Ultimate goblin, titus, dormammu, onslaught, jugg) really undesirable.
>>
>>6391576
They were mostly slightly oversized standard figures with many sculpted with intent for reuse later on. Basically the template for modern ML BAFs. They were not impressive at all.

Despite all these criticisms, I still loved DCUC and bought most of them. But they are not and were not anything special. The worst part about Multiverse is that they are just continuing DCUC without actually any effort towards making a better modern figure line. Multiverse figures still seem like they came out in 2008.
>>
>>6391619
I agree with you on all of those. I also found those either unpleasant or boring, and is the time period when I would have agreed with you. Well, except Titus--I admit he's not that interesting of a figure, but he's a tiger dude with a bionic eye and cannon arm and that's kinda fun to me.
>>
File: Toy-Fair-2017-Mattel-DC-064.jpg (124KB, 1362x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Toy-Fair-2017-Mattel-DC-064.jpg
124KB, 1362x2048px
>>6391624
>continuing DCUC without actually any effort towards making a better modern figure line
They showed off a 2.0 female sculpt at NYTF that is essentially identical to Legends.
>>
>>6391634
Well it's about time
>>
File: Grevous and IG droid.jpg (148KB, 663x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Grevous and IG droid.jpg
148KB, 663x1000px
>>6391395
Star Wars figures these days make me sad. Maybe someday Hasbro will go back to the quality they had a few years ago.
>>
>>6391958
That grevious was an anomaly though. The rest of the starwars toys out at that time were just as bad as what's on shelves now
>>
Transformers. Whether you like the current designs and such or not, you can't argue that previous figures were more complex and had higher quality.
>>
>>6391989
I noticed they started getting bad around the end of TF: Prime and when the fourth movie came out. I kept expressing my criticisms in TF generals and everyone got salty and claimed I was a troll. the TF community tends to go in a state of denial whenever they realize the collector community is being neglected. which is strange considering TFs have more third party alternatives than most other lines, so its obvious Hasbro is shit more than say, with their MLs which tend to be a tad higher in quality. so for them to defend Hasbro made no sense to me.
>>
File: turbo-tomy-650x432[1].jpg (62KB, 650x432px) Image search: [Google]
turbo-tomy-650x432[1].jpg
62KB, 650x432px
Get on my level
>>
>>6391989
It's bizarre how in denial transfags are over this. Go grab some random deluxe from Cybertron and compare it one now and nowadays they feel like KO's.
>>
File: r_galvatron-184.jpg (58KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
r_galvatron-184.jpg
58KB, 600x450px
>>6392145
exactly.

I'm the same anon as >>6392139, and I remember vividly when I made said I thought Universe Galvatron was better than the new voyager and everyone rushed to call me a troll. thing is, I didn't mean it was a better Galvatron overall, I just meant in terms of the engineering that went into it and the paint apps it was a better toy. the new Galv has ridiculously oversized legs and his canoon looks like a dildo. And the dull gray plastic is so overdone these days every time Hasbro uses it on a figure I consider passing it even if the mold itself is alright. I just can't stand the cheapness of them reusing the same gray plastic. if they can make all these different molds they can surely use an actual silver metallic paint and now dollar star quality kindergartner paint set gray.

but yeah, just look at this pic. Uni Galv is smaller and a bit clunkier, yeah, but the new one looks like it was made by frickin' Playmates for 5 year olds.
>>
>>6392152
dollar store*
>>
>>6392152
>>6392159
you should stop collecting transformers and fuck a duck
>>
>>6392194
>goes on a rant explaining why modern transformers are bad
>am told to stop collecting transformers

solid argument, anon. you win.
>>
Used to be 2500-3500 yen with a ton of accessories now they're all 6200-7200 or higher and you're lucky if you get more than two accessories and the second one is probably exclusive to their store.
>>
>>6392446
On the other hand, Figma quality has gone up. Those old hands were a pain to change and were known for breaking when you tried swapping them.

Still, some of these modern releases have been very bare bones.
>>
>>6392139
TFPrime and DOTM were already a step down in quality from ROTF/RTS/2010. That said, I'd honestly take the modern stuff over most of that era because I got so burnt out of that early movie aesthetic, and stylized lines like Animated and Prime. I do like some of the newer movie designs, but unfortunately the modern lines don't do those well.
>>
File: ahhhhhhhhh.gif (1MB, 964x912px) Image search: [Google]
ahhhhhhhhh.gif
1MB, 964x912px
>>6391395
>Recently went for a walk at night
>Walked past the park I spent most of my childhood at
>it was a great kids park with many wooden climbing frames and fun slides
>got really emotional
>walked into the park and started looking around
>everything seemed normal, the proud wooden structures still standing strong
>climbed up and went down one of the slides
>kept walking
>eventually walked over to a small little 'cave' like area on the side of one of the climbing frames
>decided to take a look inside
>look in
>there is a little like 12 year old boy and girl
>the boy has his hairless penis exposed and is urinating on the girls face
>they look up and see me
>get really nervous
>loudly shout
>'HAHAH WOOOOOPS LOOKS LIKE THIS ISN'T THE SWING SET!'
>do a motion like I am sitting on an imaginary swingset, and jump really far away into the distance
>run and hide behind one of the climbing frames and wait for them to leave before I go home

times have changed
>>
>>6392450
quality hasn't gone up enough to justify a 3x price hike, especially when articulation sucks still and you get less plastic.
I'm only asking for a chest and a waist balljoint, and NO FUCKING EXCLUSIVES. then, THEN I'll consider paying 5000 yen. oh wait, the'd still be above 7000.
>>
File: DDJdSMeUwAAExeJ.jpg (132KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
DDJdSMeUwAAExeJ.jpg
132KB, 1200x900px
>>6391989
I've been liking TR because I'm a big fan of the Z-List character selection that's been happening but it is ridiculous the lengths people will go to defend HasTak.

Sloppy paint, loose as fuck joints, titan masters can be either way too tight or barely stay in, awful foil stickers that are peeling inside the packaging, Weirdwolf's crumbling hinge, Mindwipe being made 80% out of rubber, and pic related for Trypticon.
>>
>>6391972
I have a clone trooper (that came with the three legged walker i think) which is fully articulated, had a blaster rifle, a blaster and a removable helmet, bought the new order bipedal walker that comes with a new order trooper, it's got kenner mold articulation, one blaster and the head is a single piece.
>>
>>6392450
>fix flawed hand joint designs
>"That'll be an extra 5000JPY, please"
>"Forever"
Literally Max Factory jewism.
>>
>>6392766
I mean, you can obviously pull up isolated examples here and there, like the IG-86 or whatever in that Grievous pic is a really good figure too for example. And honestly, most SW toys at the time weren't AWFUL. But 99% of them were being held back by the T-hips, which Lucas apparently insisted on to preserve the integrity of the sculpts.
>>
>>6392142
I can't remember if I had one or just played it at a friend's house.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.