[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

toys of cartoons

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

File: ben10.jpg (135KB, 841x816px) Image search: [Google]
ben10.jpg
135KB, 841x816px
just saw a review of some playmates ben 10 aliens. is this the first time all 10 designs got a toy

also: what are some good toys of cartoons from recent years? is it just me or do they not make action figures from tv shows these days?
>>
kids have smartphones and video games these days. I think there's a limited market for kids' action figures. More money in adult collectibles for nostalgic thirtysomethings and weebs.
>>
>>6386574
i guess

but i thought the point of making cartoons were to capitalize on merchandise. does that model just not bear fruit anymore?

http://agentpalmer.com/11854/miscellany/inspiration/they-started-as-toys-ten-toy-inspired-cartoons-films-and-comics/
>>
>>6386581
>point of making cartoons were to capitalize on merc
moreso in the 80s.
I mean, there's obviously some merchandising but not like it used to be.
>>
>>6386581
It's the worst of both worlds, actually.

Toys aren't being produced much anymore, because all that business executives see kids playing with are tablets and phones.

But at the same time, shows are only being greenlit, re-syndicated, or written with toy sales in mind (examples: Young Justice being canceled because executives thought they wouldn't be able to sell action figures to girls, or to sell figures of the females to boys; MLP taking a "Guardians of Harmony" direction to cater more to boys' toys; the new Ninja Turtles re-adopting a "mutant of the week" formula after the 2003 series made strides to get away from it).

I just want my American cartoons to be able to exist as the writers envision them without being hindered by projected toy sales, and toys to be designed as their own standalone fuck-awesome figures instead of rolling out a line of "every villain the good guys faced this season, with 3 articulation points in the torso and shoulders."

What little I have seen of the new Ben 10 series seems to be striking a decent balance, but it still suffers a bit from the above qualms.
>>
I have seen the last epsiode of the reboot. It was decent. I hope we get better with season 2. They introduce some kind of knights?
>>
>>6389581
Which reboot? There was a sequel series and then like 2 different reboots after that.
>>
>>6389594
>Which reboot? There was a sequel series and then like 2 different reboots after that.
Anon,Ben 10,Alien Force,Ultimate Alien and Omniverse are conon,they just changed the animation style and came up with paralel universes. I'm talking about the 2016 reboot which actually had a decent ending for Season 1,we have to wait if Season 2 get more better.
>>
File: BA27200Blg.jpg (58KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
BA27200Blg.jpg
58KB, 500x500px
>>6386555
>is this the first time all 10 designs got a toy
Definitely not, but it IS the first time theyve ever been good. in other words, Bandai BTFO
>>
File: 71RWzHPmwQL._SY355_.jpg (15KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
71RWzHPmwQL._SY355_.jpg
15KB, 355x355px
>>6390409
i like the stylized look of the reboot aliens, but have they ever made a cannonbolt that could actually turn into a ball? is that even possible?
>>
>>6386555
Anyone know the release date on the last 4?

Managed to snag the other 8 from TRU a couple days after I saw them in store. Good thing, to, because now everywhere is out except for Hex.
>>
>>6390452
close enough
>>
File: 51RX+NS1wPL._SY355_.jpg (23KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
51RX+NS1wPL._SY355_.jpg
23KB, 355x355px
>>6390452
>>6391694
Turning is a strong word, but closest would probably be the old Metamorfigure. The limbs can be taken off, leaving you with just a ball. It's pretty dumb looking.

But nah, it's definitely not possible to make an actual transformable Cannonbolt, not a single one of his designs has ever made any sense in that regard.
>>
>>6391814
i just want it to be poseable and still have the ability to roll, like some sort of neat shellformer
>>
>>6386555
Are they good? Also,when will Gax,I mean Vil.
Oh,I mean Vilgax figure sell? Any words on SixSix and Crab?
>>
Lego works on Ben 10 reboot sets for 2018 realease.
>>
>>6389577

None of this is true at all.

Toys are not being made as much now not only due to stuff like smartphone games, but because costs have gone up tremendously. Plastics rare more expensive, as is factory production. China has gotten richer, smarter and more devious.

Toy companies are just less inclined to take big risks. They'll only bank on the next big thing AFTER it's become the next big thing.

Cartoon studios are also in the shit, with rising animation costs and falling broadcast fees. New shows are all going for marketability beyond the show, and they're open to anything. ie, they don't care of the show never gets toys, as long as apparel, card games, smartphone games, dlc etc picks up the slack.

The new trend is heading towards short slapstick humor, preferably with little dialogue. Why? Kids in China are watching in short bursts on ipads.

The only studio still committed to full on adventure is Toonami / WB. Because old people will pay them for more Kevin Conroy Batman.
>>
>>6392188
wow, that's really depressing.

But it does make sense as to why toy companies are more and more appealing to adult fans. Hasbro has been shoving G1 Transformers down our throats for years now. But remember around Energon/Cybertron? They had the Classics line come out (and Universe) but those were just little treats for old fans. They still focused on the current cartoon.

But now, I see more toys for Titans Return than the toys that have a real cartoon on the air.

Same kinda goes for Power Rangers. They sure have been re-releasing the old toys alot.
>>
>>6392215
>But now, I see more toys for Titans Return than the toys that have a real cartoon on the air.
That's because you are ignoring the side stuff like Legions, One Steps, and random gimmick toys. RID has way more stuff than Titans Return, just most of it does not appeal to us because Hasbro is aiming even younger than usual the past few years.
>>
>>6392215
>>6392253

Hasbro's kinda in a reverse position, because they own the Transformers license and need to get a show out.

And you know why G1 fans are getting all the love now? Again, China. G1 *is* Transformers there, and the Asian market is growing like crazy. No one cares much about non G1 in Asia.

But if you look at Hasbro's new stuff, same thing applies - they're just living off their big master licenses : Star wars and Marvel. And Star wars is a shadow of its former glory. There's nothing from them that banks on new new stuff.
>>
>>6391244
how much were they at TRU? i see most of them going for 12-13 bucks on amazon

xlr8 is $21 right now, the expensive slut
>>
File: crob and villy.png (2MB, 1896x665px) Image search: [Google]
crob and villy.png
2MB, 1896x665px
>>6391881
They're on the way after the first assortment.
>>
>>6392959
Nice. Vilgax has an sword?
Also,do the rest of the figures come with accesories?
>>
>>6392793
They're up on the TRU site for 9 bucks each. Not awful. Looks like they're all out of stock now though. They weren't, earlier.
>>
>>6392959

#wheresgwen
>>
>>6392959
Cool, is this the first time when we get villains in the toy line? Also,no SixSix and Tetrax yet.
>>
>>6393804
Neh, every series got at least a couple of villain toys. The original series had Kevin, Vilgax, Sixsix, etc. Highbreed, DNAliens, Ultimate Kevin, Aggregor, Forever Knights, Khyber, Solid Plugg, Zombozo...there were some in each one.
>>
>>6393804
Not really. We get in this reboot at this moment: Vilgax with Ascalon?,Steammite,Dr Animo,Crab,Hex.
Possible SixSix and Tetrax.
Reminder:Tetrax,SixSix and Crab are still bounty hunters so we don't know which side are they. Or who paid them to kill Vilgax..
>>
The reboot looks like shit, but I sorta want Four Arms and the RV playset.

Why the fuck did Playmates put so much effort into this and Voltron, but TMNT suffers from extremely mediocre figures with tons of omitted paint apps?
>>
>>6393906
>the reboot looks like shit
I said the same before but Omni-tricked dragged me back. It was decent. Maybe it gets better now.
On the toys,I'm happy that they put a lot of effort of Ben 10,TMNT and Voltron sculpts looked like shit anyway.
>>
>>6386555
Are these figures better than Bandai?
>>
>>6393950
Looks like it. They have a lot more articulation than Bandai's shit, which usually maxed out at a simple 9 points of articulation, if we were lucky. They're priced pretty reasonably too.

If the designs were better they look like they'd honestly be pretty great.

Hex excluded because for some reason they forgot to paint his crotch.
>>
>>6393906
Eh,it looks to become better:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qhE5UXOjRj8
>>
>>6394673
Yeah:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DwkaY0OM1Ak
>>
>>6394673
>>6394675
It looks pretty good.
>>
>>6389577
Young Justice was terrible though.
>>
>>6393906
Because repaints of the same turtle isnt as interesting as repaints of five different colored lions and combine into a bigger lion
>>
File: DSC08666.jpg (53KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSC08666.jpg
53KB, 640x480px
>>6392959
The vinyl is a lot more impressive to look at desu..
>>
>>6394673
Meh, the finale is kinda cool, but it's also pretty much just cribbed from the finale of the first season of the original show, among other things.
>>
>>6394701
Hyperaliens were pretty dope.
>>
>>6394701
Live Action Vilgax when? Warner Bros,do you listen?

>>6394673
>>6394675
Eh,it looks pretty good for a CN reboot.
>>
>>6394675
Huh,now I want SixSix and Tetrax.
>>
File: 12979210.jpg (98KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
12979210.jpg
98KB, 600x600px
>>6394701
>4POA
>>
>>6394797
Still looks better than mushy peas reboot
>>
Just picked up Four-arms from the BOGO40% sale. one of the coolest features is his tilting neck joint. really glad they switched to Playmates
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.