[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Storage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: about-hero.jpg (42KB, 630x233px) Image search: [Google]
about-hero.jpg
42KB, 630x233px
What do you guys do when you've run out of space or need somewhere to put stuff?

I tried out an ExtraSpace Storage near my house but pulled stuff out after feeling how muggy it got in there. Does anyone else have a suggestion on storage?
>>
File: GoTarmy.jpg (1MB, 2096x1353px) Image search: [Google]
GoTarmy.jpg
1MB, 2096x1353px
>>6381065
>>6381065
how tiny is your home that you've run out of closet space?

I have a spare room and closets in my living room, hallway, and under the stairs.
I dont use most of thoses though, because i have a work room outside with its own closet.

pic of stuff that goes out in the storage/work room. Usually a bunch of extras that I'll get around to using sometime in the future, including model/gunpla kits.
>>
>>6381085
Smaller than I'd like, honestly. But I've been doing this for so long that I've got a lot of stuff I like, but switch stuff out so it's not a clusterfuck.

But, space. I've got like 2.5 large totes full of stuff.

Trying to find a bigger place, but my current spot is tiny and I'm feeling claustrophobic with this stuff. Just want to keep it somewhere safe for a bit in the meantime
>>
File: storage bins.jpg (277KB, 731x1301px) Image search: [Google]
storage bins.jpg
277KB, 731x1301px
>>6381117
>2.5 totes
Tini-tiny collection for a tiny apartment, huh?

Buying large totes/bins is always the wrong thing to do.
Buy smaller bins, so you can fit it anywhere that it'll fit. Under your bed, inbetween furniture, etc. Large bins are too clunky, oversized to fit, and shit will get lost in them.
Smaller bins like painter/fishing tackle boxes are great for organizing.
You can buy ammo cans like this and buy organizers for them too.
If you label your bins, you only have to move two or three boxes to get to the one thing oyu need. taking out an entire large box from underneath another large box (or five) to search through that

It's more expensive to buy smaller boxes, but when space is at a premium, it's the smartest way to store your stuff.

Also, get rid of your packaging.
All those knights that were in those 8x3x3 boxes stacked 4 high in 3.4 rows fit in one of these 12x6x8 cans. packaging is a huge waste of space and not worth keeping.
>>
>>6381198
>Also, get rid of your packaging.
Good way to lose 50% of the resale value. Stop spreading the myth that packaging is worthless when it clearly has a monetary value that is quite large. Could I reclaim a lot of space throwing it away for my collection? Absolutely. However, it would be losing me about $4,000-8,000 worth of value. Even if you plan on never reselling items you never know if a sudden financial emergency will necessitate selling part of your collection then you are going to WISH you had those fucking boxes so you could sell less of your precious collection to pay for the emergency.

People need to make the choice themselves whether space or money is more important but they need to go into the decision with all the facts.
>>
>>6381209
If you're a poorfag who can't afford his collection, then by all means, keep your packaging.

But don't pretend than 99% of toys will retain their value
Even then, you have to find soemone who is willing to buy it. In so many cases, you have that shit on ebay for months and months and months at your "fair value" price. So your "emergency fund" is pretty worthless when you actually need it.

So how about being a responsible adult who should have emergency funds in his bank account? 3-4 months' earnings is always a great rule of thumb in how much you should always have.
You should have more in your savings account.

Nevermind that renting a storage room in some warehouse will eat up all your precious profits of your mint in package toys... oh wait, it's not even mint and basically just a loose toy, huh?
You need to fucking think, especially when it's a thread about OP needing to pay $50-90 a month just to store his toys.
>>
Build a shed and put everything in there.
>>
>>6381234
>If you're a poorfag who can't afford his collection, then by all means, keep your packaging.
Uh...rich people don't throw away the packaging because rich people more than anyone care about the value of things they own and maximizing it. Do you know how fucking penny pinching rich people actually are? They get PISSED over fractions of a cent which is why they stay rich while morons who win the lotto end up bankrupt in a year. If you're well off and you don't care about losing a dollar here and there you're doing it wrong.
>But don't pretend than 99% of toys will retain their value
They won't and I didn't imply otherwise. The ones that lose value will still be worth more and be easier to sell with their packaging. My $4,000-8,000 number is AFTER the loss of value is factored in. If there hadn't been a huge loss of value for most my collection we'd be talking $8,000-16,000+.
>Even then, you have to find soemone who is willing to buy it. In so many cases, you have that shit on ebay for months and months and months at your "fair value" price. So your "emergency fund" is pretty worthless when you actually need it.
Most collectors probably have at least a few high demand items that will sell fast.
>So how about being a responsible adult who should have emergency funds in his bank account? 3-4 months' earnings is always a great rule of thumb in how much you should always have.
Of course. That's good advice. People shouldn't be partaking in luxuries at the expense of a savings. BUT if your emergency is blowing through your savings you have that extra 2-3 month head start to sell a bunch of toys and why wouldn't you want 50% more value for each one of them? It could be the difference between being homeless and getting through things relatively comfortably.

I find it ironic that someone calling someone else a poorfag is ok with losing thousands of dollars.
>>
>>6381249
It doesn't sound like you know any rich people and are just generalizing them based on some stupid book you never read, just because it fits in with your idiotic defense about your retirement plan/emergency funds/reassignment surgery funds/investments.

> My $4,000-8,000 number is AFTER the loss of value is factored in.
LOL, so this includes long term storage too?
Nevermind the fact that the value of toys is completely random because collectors are fickle as fuck and can drop at any time.

Seriously, stop trying to justify your trash and living in your fantasy world where things will go exactly how you want it to.
Go invest in something that is actually worth real world dollars and has actual long term growth, instead of hedging your fucking life on your collection that you would not be able to sell in a year's time at your current estimate.

Do you even have advice for OP on how to better store his stuff or is it just going to be more bullshit about how to store high value investments in temperature and humidity controlled vaults?
... do you even store your stuff in such an environment or are they all in some closet that hits the outside wall, baking your toys so that the plasticizers will start to leak out in <10 years?
>>
>>6381065
The best advice for storage rental is don't use it unless you need it for a short term (moving, change of location . remodeling , etc)

The rent for your storage will slowing add up to a point that it's totals more than your items worth.

example:at $70 a month x 12 = $840 a year.
if what you storge in there is toys, will the value increase $840? Is your storage unit outside? can it get too hot or too cold? if so, you are paying them to damage your collectable while lowering the value. in 2 years, you will have already paid them $1680. does the item in storage worth $1680 more now? how about 3 years($2520) .time go by very fast for things you put away and out of sight.
It would be cheaper just to sell most of the items you don't have room for, and then rebuy them later if you really need them back. even at possible inflated prices, you will end up the same if not cheaper .
>>
Yikes okay this was not the direction I was planning to go in

>>6381302
after you and >>6381234 mentioned the amount (yeah, 50/mo) it makes more sense to try and store this shit another way, I'll work on that.

What I really need to do is a collection purge but I realllllly don't want to

Some of my things have boxes, some of them don't. I try not to keep the fuckhuge ones, since I'm already low on space.
>>
File: tacklebox.jpg (9KB, 337x307px) Image search: [Google]
tacklebox.jpg
9KB, 337x307px
>>6381334
You really need to toss the boxes if you want to keep your stuff.

Storage warehouses will eat up any value if you use them for long term, so it's not worth keeping the boxes if they take up too much space.

Using smaller containers helps a lot in reducing the space you need to keep your stuff.

If you still have too much stuff, maybe you should sell certain items.
>>
Get rid of the shit you are not super attached to to make room for the shit you REALLY want. What a bizarre problem to have. Too much stuff that you want to pay to store your shit somewhere else. What world are we living in?!

Why would you pay storage fees to store shit? Absolute insanity. Is that stuff going to go up in value to offset the cost of said storage? Probably not. So get rid of it.

Likely the storage fees will be equivalent to the value of the items IN storage. So what's the fucking point?! Ie. over a long enough time curve the value of all items in storage versus their repurchase cost becomes equal fast. So sell them and rebuy them later. Or spend money on storage like a dolt. Whatever.
>>
>>6382062
>So sell them and rebuy them later.
This is absolutely stupid, if you the only reason you dont have space for them is the box.
Get rid of the packaging and keep the toy.
>>
>>6381198
>>6381209
Happy medium; keep the boxes in storage, save the figures.
>>
>>6382278
>needing to put the packaging in storage at all
It's a money losing effort and the only real reason to keep them around is because anxiety over throwing trash away, aka hoarding.
>>
>>6381302
>.time go by very fast for things you put away and out of sight.
Fucking this
storage places are the devil
They thrive on people hoarding shit and then forgetting about it while it drains them every month
>>
>>6381302
>>6382411
Storage facility worker here.
I can attest to our best business being from incredibly lazy hoarders.
If you need to store 2.5 large totes, you just need to find a trustworthy friend with some extra room to store those in their closet for a little while. It is honestly not worth it if that's all you need.
You can try to fold down/collapse the boxes and stack trays and see if there's any space to be made.
How well are you utilizing your space? Is there room under your bed? If you're one of those poorfags who sleeps on a mattress on the floor, you might instead think of investing in furniture with clever storage.
>>
>>6382237
Anon has a point though. Storage fees will kill you.

On the other hand, I'd really recommend destroying toys you don't want anymore. I mean, look, you either hamhanded the value out of them or will be beset by poorfag lowballers. Waste of time either way.
>>
>>6387965
i know that, which is why i said if the box (packages) are the reason for making you need storage, just trash the packages.

selling shit just to buy them again later is retarded money losing endevour
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.