[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Smells seeping into toys?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

File: isabelle nendoroid.jpg (150KB, 1066x1600px) Image search: [Google]
isabelle nendoroid.jpg
150KB, 1066x1600px
Hey /toy/

I was looking into using some cedarwood oil to deal with a pest problem i've been having recently, same room i keep my figures in.

I was wondering, do I need to worry about the smell like, seeping into or sticking to my figures? I'm not spraying it on them, but they'll be a few feet away from the areas i need to treat.

I remember doing some research that cigarette and marijuana smells can, I wasn't sure if it'd be the same case here.
Also might as well ask, should i be worried about scented candles as well? Or am I just being paranoid now?
>>
Plastics are porous so it could easily happen. If it smokes, it's a no brainer. If it vaporizes, it's also probably gonna stink it up. I don't know the specifics about what you're using but if it smells then it's probably gonna stick to the toys in some degree, the question is will you notice it. Best to be safe.
>>
why not just leave cedar wood chips around? would have a similar effect and might not transfer the smell. i think cedar wood smells pretty good anyway so if your toys do smell like it, it wouldn't be the worst smell in the world
>>
>>6379688
Most places just specify the oil, i'll keep chips in mind but the oil seems cleaner to manage.

>>6379685
i didn't know that. The stuff i'm looking at is just concentrated oil you'd spray around a windowsill (and other areas), I can keep my stuff away when i spray it though, but apparently the smell itself is potent and lingers. It's not something you actively burn like a cig. Is there any way to remove smells that get stuck in plastics?
>>
One bump, looking if anyone else has any experience with this kinda stuff.

Wondering if maybe i moved them out for a few days to let the oil settle and moving them back would be ok, i know the smells going to linger for awhile though based on what i've read.
>>
While I can't say anything about cedar oil, I have bought toys from smokers before. 2 weeks covered in baking soda has always gotten rid of the smell or reduced it to the point I no longer care. You could try the same.
>>
File: sleeping.jpg (69KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
sleeping.jpg
69KB, 600x600px
>>6382179
How did you get all the baking soda off/out of the toys?

The baking soda doesn't ruin the figure or paint? I generally figure anything except just warm water is risky to use.
>>
Doesn't the smell on anything that's well aired-out vanish over time?
>>
I was wondering if I should worry about burning candles around figures? Will the smell or any waxy residue get stuck on them? Or are they probably fine if they're a few feet away from the candle.
>>
File: 1404232788375.jpg (22KB, 334x281px) Image search: [Google]
1404232788375.jpg
22KB, 334x281px
>>6384527
I don't know about the smell, but i've read before that it's not good to burn wax near your collections.
>>
There's worse than cedarwood for them to smell like, and theres always the baking soda bag trick
>>
>>6386256
Wouldn't people mind if there was a faint smell on the toys? Also I can't imagine them retaining any kind of smell other than the plastic being ideal for trades. People understandably get upset over cigarette smells.

The main thing i'm wondering is that with cigs and pot you burn it whereas with the oil you just spray it on the desired area in a controlled manner, but the smell's strong.
>>
>>6383451
For most, warm water (perhaps soapy) should be fine. If you have a hot water cupboard or similar thing, I've found that's a great place to leave your figures for a day or three to dry nicely and almost always avoid rusting.

Disassembling things as much as you can beforehand will also held stop water getting trapped and metal from rusting.
>>
>>6387768
I didn't even know what a hot water cupboard was until a few min ago, but i get what you mean.
>>
lFrom what smellsi understand oil smells don't stick to objects unless the oil is applied onto the figure itself
>>
File: what the shit.jpg (94KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
what the shit.jpg
94KB, 1280x720px
>>6388473
Don't have a seizure anon
>>
>>6382179
It's weird how distinct and heavy cig smell plagues collectibles compared to stuff like vape pens and pot, which don't stink up anything long term
>>
>Smell is nice
>Keeps bugs off figures

Solution:
Just spray it on the figures
>>
File: 232353324.jpg (33KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
232353324.jpg
33KB, 600x600px
>>6391381
Most people don't want a potent odor on their stuff, even if it smells "okay".
>>
Last bump for help
>>
>>6393123
Everything's going to smell like whatever environment it's in
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.