[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

1/12 scale G.I. Joe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: GIJoeHeader.0.jpg (59KB, 580x270px) Image search: [Google]
GIJoeHeader.0.jpg
59KB, 580x270px
Who here would buy 1/12 scale G.I. Joes?

I'm disappointed this hasn't happened yet.

Snake Eyes and G.I. Joe Resolute Cobra Commander would be KILLER.
>>
>>6363230
The problem with it is that the collectors who want 6" GI Joe figures mostly just want Snake Eyes and some of the villains. A large part of the appeal of GI Joe is the variety of the team members and the vehicles. And it wouldn't sell well enough to get any vehicles.

I mean, I'd buy 6" Joes. But it'd last 2-3 waves then peter off when the superhero 6" fans have the half dozen figures they wanted out of the line.
>>
>>6363246
I think that army buildser could work.

Not many semi realistic military army builder figures in the 1:12 scale, so it could fill in an important hole.
>>
>>6363293
>I think that army buildser could work.
Not when the figure is $30 a piece.

>>6363230
>Who here would buy 1/12 scale G.I. Joes?
I would probably buy a few characters that I really, really liked as a kid.

But I don't collect 1/12 otherwise so that would be it. I'm already on the fence about letting 99% of my 1/18 go.
>>
File: 1431740445815.jpg (327KB, 1920x816px) Image search: [Google]
1431740445815.jpg
327KB, 1920x816px
I would not buy 1:12 GI Joes.

I collect 1:12 figures, including One:12 stuff, but soldiers in this scale would bore me.
Superheroes fight one on one. Soldiers fight dozens and even thousands at a time.

You can't play with 1:12 figures in any large scale way. They're too large: they take up too much room and one already fills your hand, so their play value is way too limited.
And vehicles are buttfuck expensive at this scale too.

In addition, every company who tries mostly meets a brickwall, as most armchair child-generals won't give it a chance. This is why you see one or three figures made and nothing else thereafter, and the company who made them doesnt exists anymore.
Who wants to collect an incomplete line? It's like if Duke were made and that's it. Who the fuck wants to army build Duke?

On /toy/ you only see half-assed efforts at army building, usually with two Stormtroopers who are commanded by 8 Captains from 8 divisions, three generals, 2 LTs, and five Commanders.
Or two of those MGS Figma soldiers.
It's nothing but a shitty hodgepodge and mostly exist as window dressing.
>>
>>6363230
I'd snatch them up in a heartbeat OP.
>>
The only way I see GI Joe working as a 1:12 line would be if they offered it as a HTS exclusive. There's no way it could survive in retail, they'd have to do it all online. Then maybe do some SDCC/NYCC boxed sets for repaints of army builders with added gear or a Tiger Force set and have those on HTS as well.

Alternative sneak play: Hasbro greenlights some GI Joe versus Predator/Alien comics, then Neca does a line of two-packs or even four-packs. Let's be honest, Alien and Predator collectors are probably the easiest to impress consumer whores on this board, so the line would have some serious legs. They buy the same figure over and over again and debate over accuracy minutiae as if it matters when the figures are 99.995% identical to begin with.
>>
>>6363230
'no'
>>
>>6363230
I would buy that shit right up.

They'd have to do it online though.
>>
>>6363230
I'd buy it, but it would kill the line at retail. Black Series is a massive failure and is only sustained because of Star Wars' massive media presence. GI Joe would be hit far harder and be only collector driven. How many waves would we get? Each wave would probably be like 4 figures. And how many waves would we get? 2? 3? Maybe if we were lucky, 4 before they pulled the plug. Each figure would also cost over $20 and too many people whine and complain about prices and say they'll wait because they're 40 with no job or some other pathetic excuse.

I think there would also never be the kind of accessories and vehicles we typically see for Joes. Accessories and vehicles are a clusterfuck for Black Series and would be worse for Joes.
>>
>>6364010
$20 -would- be a problem, because they'd be priced the same as figures that also have a licensing cost to them, i.e. Star Wars and Marvel. GI Joe is their own in-house brand, there's no excuse to match licensed product prices. This isn't NEET autism talking, this is just logic.
>>
>>6364010
>Black Series is a massive failure and is only sustained because of Star Wars' massive media presence.
Man...it blows my mind how my Walmart basically hasn't stocked a single fucking wave outside of Rogue One or Force Awakens. The Rogue one stuff (and a few figures from Force Awakens) are shelf warming so bad they've been dropped to $9.87 and STILL can't fucking sell. It pisses me off because it made me have to buy Ahsoka online and I ended up getting some crushed as fuck boxes and some derpy paint. I actually like the boxes on the Black Series stuff so it sorta pissed me off pretty bad.
>>
>>6364475
>>6364010
Yeah. Demand is so fucking uneven. Can't find stuff at all locally yet nobody anywhere will buy anything that I ordered cases of (not R1 or TFA shit either).

Joes I imagine would be the same. There are a dozen, tops, that I'd buy. But they won't be stocked here and I'm fed up with ordering cases that sit.

I've so fucking had it with toy collecting.
>>
File: trike_8.jpg (205KB, 1024x752px) Image search: [Google]
trike_8.jpg
205KB, 1024x752px
So what's stopping Hasbro from going down the MOTU Classics route and start selling 1/12 Joes online only?
>>
>>6364528
because their 1:18 online offering already sucks and is a bunch of cobbled parts with a new head and/or accesories.
>>
>>6364528
MOTUC only worked because of the much-derided underhanded tactics they used along the way. You'll never get one of the dot-orgers to admit to it, but it's true.
>>
>>6364475
Heavy loading cases with the two or three "main characters" each wave -- especially the same ones over and over -- is moronic. 1 of each, rest as a strong army builder. A Stormtrooper or something else heavily cool. Keep the cases moving. Stores stock up super heavy on wave 1 so make sure it's something that will always move out the door.

I haven't seen a Rogue case past 2. I refuse to order online at higher prices to support Hasbro's fucked up habits. I dropped Legends because they were hit n run too often. You either buy the whole BAF at once or you will always be missing a part or two. Fuck 'em, now I buy none. Thank god stepping up the number of waves every year with them on top of each other killed the starting to grow 6" market after it died the last time.

Thanks to Hasbro in general I quit Legends, Marvel Universe, GI Joe, GI Joe Club, TF, TF Club, Star Wars, and pretty much SW Black unless I see one in person I don't yet have.

Now I collect a few tiny US indie lines that are online only and LEGO Super Heroes.
>>
>>6364580
>and LEGO Super Heroes
gayyyyyy
>>
>>6364580
>I can't enjoy toys because i can't get the new stuff
wut

I hope you didn't sell your old collections, because then you'd just be a consumer whore.
>>
>>6364934
>stockholm syndrome
I totally get where >>6364580 is coming from. Hasbro's behavior is pretty typical of US businesses. They do whatever stupid thing they want to do and then blame Obama or millenials or leprechauns.
>>
File: wolviewall.jpg (199KB, 728x827px) Image search: [Google]
wolviewall.jpg
199KB, 728x827px
>>6364951
You really dont know what Stockholm Syndrome is.
Not even MattyCollector qualifies, but i guess if you pretend that collectors have no choice but to buy everything to ensure a line goes on.

Hasbro doesn't hold anything over anyone's head if a line doesn't sell

I just dont understand how you can give something up if you genuinely enjoy it.
It just makes me think of completists and their obsession to have everything, but in this case, you rage quit because it is slightly harder to get.
And i mean "slightly" as in: to a small degree; not considerably. There are so many avenues in getting any toy online that none of these lines are actually hard to get.

But nope, you get angry and quit like you never enjoyed it in the first place, because you only feel a sense of accomplishment because you spent your money on something new.
>>
>>6364969
And you can't read. Poster didn't say they quit collecting. They said they quit buying new stuff from those lines.

Also, you autist, a company doesn't have to literally make threats. It's implied when they cancel the line. It's implied future-tense when they answer questions at cons about a previously cancelled line.

Take that Hasbro dick out of your mouth before it pokes a hole in your brain.
>>
>>6364969
>slightly harder to get
>can't fathom a world outside of his bubble and implies bundling/scalping online has no bearing on aquirability
opinion discarded
>>
>>6364969
I like Wolverine as much as the next comic nerd but that's just stupid.
>>
>>6363457
Best response.

The only way to "army build" 1/12 is to do as this anon seems to dislike: build to the scene (a captain and a few grunts). Star Wars works like that because there are plenty of scenes for fans to build toward in their displays. GI Joe doesn't have a solid media foothold, so the toys have nowhere to build toward.
>>
File: dot com bubble.png (6KB, 267x150px) Image search: [Google]
dot com bubble.png
6KB, 267x150px
>>6364987
Who said anything about quitting collecting?
I said that if he actually gave up his old toys he'd be a consumer whore. Context, dude.

Being illiterate would explain the type of person who rage quits a toyline just because everyone else is able to find the figures.
>a company doesn't have to literally make threats.
No, seriously, you're illiterate and don't know shit.
Falling in love with abusive Hasbro (stockholm) = buying toys you like and enjoy?
You're really warped.
> It's implied when they cancel the line.
Pretty fucking dumb, given how collectors make up such a tiny percentage of toy sales that we almost don't matter. The collectors pittance from Hasbro are those GI Joe TRU exclusives (which are really easy to get).

But no, you're just a petulant child who cries because you're really really picky and will call it quits if you can't have it specifically catered to your needs... likely because you're not an adult with a credit/debit card.

>>6364989
The internet isn't a bubble. Tons of shops out there will sell you the toys brand new without being scalpers. Them not being able to give you poorfag WalMart prices is entirely another thing though. You may luck out with amazon and most people here are really good at letting others know when something is up (and its usually up for a long while).

>>6365566
Completists are OCD like that.
I like they have every design up like that, but fuck if i'd spend all that waste of money, time, and space.
>>
>>6365712
>The internet isn't a bubble. Tons of shops out there will sell you the toys brand new without being scalpers. Them not being able to give you poorfag WalMart prices is entirely another thing though. You may luck out with amazon and most people here are really good at letting others know when something is up (and its usually up for a long while).
Eh...I don't consider $25 + shipping to be a fair price for a Marvel Legends of Star Wars Black. We can debate whether that is "scalper" territory or not but in my opinion the toys are BARELY worth Walmart prices much less $30-35 shipped. On the issue of scalping...I would argue someone who buys up every single copy they see and then sells it for a $5 profit is a scalper too. They are just undercutting the extra douche-y scalpers who try to charge double. So are they total human trash? No. They still cost us money in the end though and make it impossible to compare copies in store to find one with good QC which IS an issue with Hasbro stuff.
>>
>>6365652
>build to the scene (a captain and a few grunts).
I don't mind that, it's just that most collections on /toy/ are made up of two stormtroopers then nothing but Captains, Generals, Admirals, Emperors, Moffs, etc to command their giant army. A top heavy army, at least in how they display them.

>GI Joe doesn't have a solid media foothold, so the toys have nowhere to build toward.
Eh, since this is a GI Joe thread, i think most of us already know how to build our squads.
It's always the antagonists who gives everyone problems, but it seems most don't even care.

Star Wars threads used to have way more troop building and when they switched to 1:12, all the interesting dioramas basically stopped.
Speaking of which, there is a complete dearth of dioramas for 1/12 scale on /toy/, whereas with 1:18 there's always a lot of photos
>>
>>6365733
>small businesses are all scalpers
Dumb.

If you can't remember or weren't born yet, stores like Target and WalMart used to sell their toys for about 20% less than what the MSRP was until like 2010 or 2011. After that, they started selling the full MSRP.
Guess how much smaller companies used to sell their toys at until 2010 or 2011? MSRP.

Toys prices were going up and up and up for years and once they hit that $20 price point, they stayed the same for as long as the prices had been going up. So it's not a coincidence that WalMart prices are now MSRP and prices haven't gone up.
Small businesses can't keep those prices, so they are going to charge the same amount that their margins have always been.

Stores that give you the same price for all the figures aren't scalpers. You can order an entire wave, not case, from certain stores and that's a fair deal. It's when they charge $30-50 for a Deadpool or Darth Vader while selling Niko for $25 when it's considered scalping.

>good QC which IS an issue with Hasbro stuff
oh, i agree.
Sucks for people who don't live in a populated area where we have access to multiple types of shops who sell these lines.
And it sucks for those of us who live in a populated area, because scalpers have a routine in getting choice picks.
Still, i think it's pretty rare to come up with duds. Going through pegs, there's maybe like 1 out of 10 derps. And Hasbro has gotten way way better in the past year with their QC and why i have no anxiety with ordering their stuff online now.

Also, Walmart.com doesn't have free shipping?
>>
>>6365768
>small businesses are all scalpers
Re-read what I said. I was talking specifically about people who go into retail outlets and buy everything up but charge the same as all those small businesses in order to make a small fast profit. It's scalping whether it's done for $5 profit or $20 profit. For the small businesses I was just saying I don't feel the figures are worth that price.
>Still, i think it's pretty rare to come up with duds. Going through pegs, there's maybe like 1 out of 10 derps. And Hasbro has gotten way way better in the past year with their QC and why i have no anxiety with ordering their stuff online now.
Eh...I think it depends on the figure and it's design. Ahsoka's QC was all over the place because she was a bit more complex. I got 3 of them online with 3 very different set of problems. Only 1 i'd qualify as a flat out dud but the other two aren't amazing either. They are just acceptable-tier and I have seen better (and much worse) copies online in reviews. I do agree they've improved for the most part though. Some figures still suffer more than others. Like i've yet to see a single Sabine Wren without derpy as fuck eyes.
>>
If you want to completely, 100% kill the GI Joe franchise dead (as opposed to lightly twitching, like now), then push for 1/12 scale Joes.
>>
>>6365780
The majority of those aren't scalpers though.
They likely bought a case from a distributor and that's how much they sell their wares for. Not everyone can be Walmart.

As for finding derps, it's pretty rare for me. It may have to do with getting shipments later, maybe perhaps? I'm used ot seeing people on the east coast complaining about derping everywhere, but i've found the same figures without any problems.

I miss when /toy/ was able to share finds at their different locations. This place doesn't feel like a community anymore because it seems everyone goes strictly through online.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.