[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Not even trying to meme here. But what do think of Toy Story

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

File: Al_Toy_Story.png (469KB, 771x431px) Image search: [Google]
Al_Toy_Story.png
469KB, 771x431px
Not even trying to meme here.

But what do think of Toy Story 2's portrayal of collector culture? It never really bothered me, but for anyone who was old enough when it came out, what did you think?
>>
>>6351498
I don't think it really reflects the majority of /toy/, who mostly collect new figures or releases less than a decade old. Also the focus here is very much on collector-oriented things like mecha toys/chogokin, higher-end action figures, imports, licensed items, etc.

For what it's worth I think TS2's depiction of the old-school toy/nostalgia collector is pretty on the money.
>>
>>6351498
It's not like most collectors are selling off some kid's beloved toys.

And when I sell my stuff on eBay, I'm most likely passing the toy onto someone who will appreciate it more than I do, so it's not really something I need to feel guilty for.
>>
>>6351498
The antique toy scene and modern toy scene are pretty much completely different. The antique scene pretty much takes care of and collects those toys as, well, antiques.

>those feels when i'm not allowed to collect golliwog dolls anymore
I miss them.
>>
it's not supposed to be malicious or anything, it's parody of pixar's own john lasseter
>>
the guy isn't really collecting them, he's just selling them off as soon as he completes the set.
it'd be more comparable to a pawn shop dealer.
>>
>>6351505
>I don't think it really reflects the majority of /toy/, who mostly collect new figures or releases less than a decade old.
>been collecting for 10 years
>Also the focus here is very much on collector-oriented things like mecha toys/chogokin, higher-end action figures, imports, licensed items, etc.
o-oh..
>>
>>6351498
i find it odd he wanted to sell Woody and the others for a fortune. he already owned a business. was his business not worth much?
>>
>>6351783
He owned a local toy store in a time toy stores were going out of business all over the country.
>>
>>6351783
he was probably making a good living(his apartment seemed pretty snazzy and it probably cost a small fortune over several years to assemble his Woody's Roundup collection), but he wanted to be rich in a way that'd be independent of his business

>>6351793
he actually owned a small chain of them going off the Al's Toy Barn commercial they had in the first movie(fun little bit of continuity there)
>>
>>6351498
I don't really think he was a collector, for the sake of passion. He owned a toy store, therefore he knew about toys.

Perhaps he was a passionate collector at one point, but, at least as far as the film portrays him, was amassing a Woody's Round-Up collection for the sole purpose of selling it to a museum in Japan
>>
>>6351546
My 6 year old cousin had a golliwog toy that he loved, no idea where it came from or why his parents keep it around but it's hilarious and they have to 'explain' it to everyone they visit so they don't look like racists.

What's preventing you from collecting them?
>>
File: Toy-Story-2-Gerri's-Gam-web.jpg (47KB, 460x258px) Image search: [Google]
Toy-Story-2-Gerri's-Gam-web.jpg
47KB, 460x258px
I honestly thought that, more than anything, I wanted to be the oldie who fixed Woody. I thought he was cool for being able to do such intricate work, and being an older person who still appreciates toys.
Ngl he's probably a part of the reason I collect dolls now.
>>
The real question here is: Do every Woody and Jessie and them have to go through that whole big introduction farce every time one of the sets is collected?
>>
>>6352001
It depends on the circumstances. A set of MISB figures might all be very stuffy and already know their place as antique toys. A set that were all loose and had been abandoned for some time might also cherish being though of as valuable again, and may not kow their own history. The main three from Toy Story 2 all came from three very different situations; one was still being layed with and loved, one was abandoned, and one was never played with or loved at all(we never saw Bullseye's backstory,so who knows?). Had Woody been in Jessie or Pete's position, he might've resigned himself to that fate. Maybe they all came out like Buzz originally, thinking they were the character, but that faded over time?

Which reminds me, I don't really like the Woody's roundup origin, because it sort of cheapens the contrast of Buzz and woody from the first film. Buzz is supposed to be a satire of the then-emerging wave of toy advertising cartoons from the 80's onward. The idea is that these tie-ins with a prepackaged fiction and characters subvert a child's innate imagination by replacing them with a set of preconceived ideas. Woody was supposed to be a more classic style of toy, free from any real set characterization, which is why all of andy's adventures with him were him interacting with very non-Western characters. While Andy isn't necessarily imitating Woody's Roundup with his toys, and in fact seems oblivious to it, the fact that he'd even have the name Woody implies that someone gave it to him who was at least somewhat familiar with the original.
>>
>>6351988
This scene was some good shit, he was so loveable as a character who didn't even say a word and appeared for a couple of minutes
>>
>>6351984
>What's preventing you from collecting them?
Nothing, he just wants to complain about skeletons on /toy/.
>>
>>6352048
He's also really great at chess.
>>
>>6351968
>He owned a toy store, therefore he knew about toys.
Eh, not to shittalk her because she is a nice person but this one toy shop attendant I met had no idea of what Titan Returns' gimmick was despite having sold up to wave 4 of the line. I don't know how common it is on the hobbyist paradise of burgerland, but she only knows about trends and toylines to keep track of what to sell and what not and that's a really common trend among toy shop owners in my country; they see it just as a business and don't care that much about the toys.
>>
>>6352064
>this one toy shop attendant
Does that one toy shop attendant own a chain of toy stores that requires an in-depth knowledge of the industry, or does she just get paid to stand at a counter and take money that people hand her after pushing some buttons?
>>
>>6351988
Hands down my favorite part of Toy Story 2 was this guy. I wanted to be him when the movie first came out and I still want to be him to this day.
>>
>>6352069
She had a couple more stores but they closed because this is not the most lucrative or the fastest business around; I'm assuming she is the owner as I have never seen her with anything resembling a boss and at most she had assistants helping her on busier seasons.

It's pretty common around here, I remember a store that had become the only store at the moment to carry 7 string guitars a couple years ago and they didn't know they had them even when you could see one right next to the fucking counter.
>>
>>6351988

Haha I was pretty young when the movie came out and I thought similarly thing about that guy who fixed up the toy, I had so many toys as a kid that got a bit damaged after being played with and I always thought "meh, it can be fixed up the same way"
>>
>>6351988
>"He's for display only. You handle him too much, he's not gonna last"
>Woody returns to Andy, a child that plays with him regularly
>Woody lasts for about a decade later with no visible problems

wut
>>
>>6352030
I thought fans generally accepted that Woody was given to him by his father. which would make sense why Andy knew the name Woody.

Another possibility is that they found the toy in a flea market or something, still in the box. Presumably, Woody's box would have his name on it
>>
>>6351988
This old bastard and Toy Story 2 are half the reason I started doing my little pony restores. There's something satisfying about getting a Minty that's clearly pre-loved, filthy as fuck, symbol wearing off from play and a haircut and getting her restored back to like-new.

Also, fuck you stinky pete, I did take my toys to college.

Toy Story 3, and not having space anymore is why I started passing them on. I keep a few that were originally mine, though.
>>
>>6351546
Golliwog figma when?
>>
>>6352119
Hamhands Al
>>
>>6352163
yeah, but was Stinky Pete really so wrong?

I mean, specifically, yes. Andy was going to take Woody (and only Woody) to college. Most kids don't. They can't, they don't have the room. Hell, most kids get rid of all their toys by the time they reach their teenage years.

That's only just starting to change now because there is a MUCH bigger market for collectibles meant specifically for teens-adults. But even now, there's still a stigma present for owning toys and not being a child.

Those of us on /toy/ are kinda the exception
>>
>>6352227
Everyone I knew in college had toys with them of some sort. I had a friend with a giant sock monkey (the 5ft tall kind) (female), a friend who slept with a stuffed rabbit (male), a friend who had a large poliwhirl plush (male), one who had several lego sets in their room (male)... etc. And that was like half a decade ago.
>>
>>6352236
Wasn't the norm when I was in college a decade and half ago. Almost nobody I knew had any toys, new or old. A few of them picked up a token WoW or Matrix trinket but that was it.
>>
>>6351498
I think it was a product of its time, this was back before nerds and geeks were "in".
>>
>>6351968
>Perhaps he was a passionate collector at one point, but,
It happens when you try to turn a hobby into something more and you fail. Everything becomes dollars and cents. At this point, I'd sell almost anything to a museum if they were willing to pay for it.
>>
>>6352030
I felt kind of bad watching Toy Story. Andy was so good at playing with toys, and I couldn't do anything like that.
>>
>>6352862
>tfw you only aped storylines from the most recent source material for the most part
I feel like shit about it now.
Remembering how I set aside my Beast Wars/Machine Wars plot to make room for Pokemon and the soft reset I did in favor of Digimon just a year later makes me feel like a dope.
>>
>>6352862
I felt awful when watching the lego movie because I was the bad guy trying to keep all the parts separate even as a kid.
>>
>>6351988
This is literally me.

I went through all my olds toys as a teen and tried to fix as many broken pieces and paint scuffs I could.

Now I'm 30 and have a pair of young nieces and I always tell them about keeping their toys safe and how to fix them when they break. I love fixing things and bringing toys back to life is just really awesome.
>>
>>6351498
Reminder that John Lasseter is an avid toy collector.
>>
File: sidstoys.jpg (149KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
sidstoys.jpg
149KB, 1600x900px
>>6351498
I'm more "troubled" (I guess troubled is not the best word, more like amused/irked) by the portrayal of Sid.

The kid is a gentleman /customs general/ and should be applauded. He's a force of nature with regards to his creativity. Literally nothing wrong with Sid, all his creations would make it to custom's general OP.

I wish some customizers are as creative as Sid rather than keep doing boring repaint trying to make copyrighted chracters over and over again
>>
I met a scalper in real life that was as dishonest and cheating like that guy bad. He also had the same look.
>>
>>6353174

There was a scalper scum I met who actually was cheating on his wife with another girl from a different state he would visit from time to time. Never got caught or anything and would brag about the fact he was getting away with it. The wife was also raising his child who was two years old. I cant imagine how people can get away with doing such dishonest acts upon other people. It disgusts me.
>>
>>6353166
Hand car, Fishing legs, erector baby and Jack-off the box are the cool ones.
>>
>>6352030
It's not too out there to think that Woody, Jessie, Bullseye, Pete toys were created some time after the show was cancelled and their popularity was rapidly fading with space toys flooding the market which explains something like Pete being stuck on a store shelf for years being skipped over and Woody never knowing that he was a tv show tie-in toy.
>>
>>6353166
You have to remember from a toy's perspective that someone is going to rip off your arms and legs then merge you together with some other shit if he doesn't melt you in a fire or blow you up with fireworks is very terrifying.
>>
>>6351498
Completely unrealistic

> no scene of him hoarding all the best toys from his toy store so no kid could have them.

> no scene of him scalping toys he picked up for $5 at $40 or $50.

>not once did he whine about articulation.

>no scene of him hot gluing Jessie.
>>
>>6356167
It wouldn't fit with the plot narrative, but we all know he did at least all of those things once offscreen. No doubt about it
>>
>>6356167
>articulation
This is really a post-2005 complaint. Mainstream collecting didn't know dick about articulation until Marvel Legends started taking off. It was such a huge jump from 5 or even 9 POA to 30+
>>
File: cops hasbro.jpg (153KB, 895x730px) Image search: [Google]
cops hasbro.jpg
153KB, 895x730px
>>6356359
You're wrong.

Super Articulation was a thing since for a long time.
In the 90s it was treated as an expensive gimmick: Toy Biz and Super-Articulated Spider-Man.
In the 80s Hasbro was trying to one up everyone else with their GI Joes having a lot of articuation and their larger figures.
>>
File: 3759063633_aebd1f8a20.jpg (94KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
3759063633_aebd1f8a20.jpg
94KB, 375x500px
>>6356421
Also gotta mention these, back in the 90s they really opened up my eyes to what articulation could be. Ball necks and shoulders and hips! Bicep and thigh swivels! Hinge ankles! Fucking HINGE FINGERS. These were my high standard for a long time.
>>
File: gi joe extreme.jpg (13KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
gi joe extreme.jpg
13KB, 300x225px
>>6356431
Yep.

Collectors since the 80s and 90s were always asking for more articulation, especially in the 90s, after it was being taken away

t. toy collector who was part of various boards and chat rooms in the 90s
>>
>>6356167
Hot gluing?

>>6356421
Drugs messed up my nephew Berserko!
>>
>>6356436
...and then suddenly the figma line came out in the 2000s?
>>
>>6356437
>Hot gluing?

Covering her in his jizz. Semen looks like hotglue.
>>
>>6356421
Let's not forget that GI Joes used to be basically heavy duty obitsu dolls so they had a lot of articulation in the 60s.
I believe that toy manufacturers and copyright holders just got stupidly greedy later and thus designers had to juggle the fuck out of everything to cut costs.
>>
>>6358237
The way i heard it is that Takara or some other company was using Hasbro's doll bodies and then Hasbro based their own smaller figures on that Japanese line.

Hasbro and Takara were partnering way before Transformers was made.
>>
>>6352119
Not just that, but

>Andy fixes the arm himself, it looks a bit swole
>roll TS3
>the arm looks exactly the same as the pre-damaged one

!?!
>>
>>6356421
>In the 80s Hasbro was trying to one up everyone else with their GI Joes having a lot of articuation and their larger figures.
Kenner's Super Powers line was super-articulated too, which made their 90's toys look a bit crap in comparison.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.