[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

To Box or not to un box... that is the question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

File: firsthaul.png (2MB, 1183x1758px) Image search: [Google]
firsthaul.png
2MB, 1183x1758px
Hey /toy/

so I practically started getting into buying action figures last week. The issue I'm having now is that I cant decide wether to open them or just leave them be.

The reason for buying them was to pose em and play around with that nostalgia but they all look so nice plus I've seen how some of em are going up in price... I just cant decide...

What do you guys think I should do?

Pic very related, it's what I got so far.
>>
>>6346255
>bought toys
>doesnt play with them and make fight noises while doing so

y tho
>>
Open 'em. Even long time collectors have a hard time guessing which figures will rise in price. The ones in your pic probably won't though. Dragonball is seeing a revival right now, so supply outweighs demand. Hell, the ones in your list, like Picollo, didn't rise in price even before the revival.

I thought girl Ranma would be a hot item, but apparently Ranma fans aren't that hungry for figures.
>>
Open them you silly billy. Keep the boxes because of imports if you want to sell them in the future because they do add to the price, but what's the point of toys if you don't PLAY WITH THEM
>>
>>6346255
Save for some select few, figures don't get crazy high in price anymore and the old MISB meme only worked because toys weren't yet produced for a global market like they do today thus shorter runs put them on short supply.
Get a real job if you plan to profit 10 dollars 10 years in the future.
>>
the massive depreciation in value for opening a box is a myth. As long as you keep everything in like new condition you can take it out of the box

and also in the case of the "premium collectibles" they don't come in blister packs and are sealed at the factory with a small piece of scotch tape over the flap. So you could always reseal it yourself and make it look like a factory seal
>>
>>6346255
All of those dbz figuarts are all general releases, they will never rise in price.
>>
Those aren't the DBZ figures you should be afraid to open, but that's not to say they aren't great.

>>6346282
This guy's right, just keep them in good condition and they're worth like new if they have the box on places like eBay. You can go check up on this any time as there are always several listings that say "collector displayed in a smoke free home" that cost at least almost as much as the new listings.
>>
>>6346282
It does apply a bit to toys with boxes that aren't designed to be opened and closed, like a lot of western toys.

Those Comic Hellboy Mezco figures, for example, can't be opened without completely destroying the box, so you can find them loose for a bit cheaper than new.
>>
>>6346255
to add onto >>6346278 and >>6346282 another reason for the lowering of the value gap between opened and unopened is that most people getting figures now WANT to pose and display them. So they are not willing to pay double or more the price of a used to get a sealed since it will be opened anyway. This is especially true with japanese figures.

It's not like toys of the past where they limited articulation means they look just as good in the box as out of it. People also already mentioned the fact a lot of packaging no longer needs to be destroyed in some manner to be opened and can be easily put back together the way you bought it.

Even if a japanese figure rises in price, (and they usually do after many years) the sealed never before opened boxes usually only go for maybe $10-$30 more then used with complete box.

So in short, play with them man, wether or not you save the boxes though depends on how likely you think you will want to resell in the future.
>>
>>6346255
Hey /tv/
so I practically started getting into buying DVDs last week. The issue I'm having now is that I cant decide wether to open them or just leave them be.
The reason for buying them was to watch em and view the nostalgia but they all look so nice plus I've seen how some of em are going up in price... I just cant decide...
What do you guys think I should do?
>>
>>6346317
Actually I should have done this about /lit/ and books as I don't think /tv/ encourages buying DVDs but my example still stands.
>>
>>6346317
>>6346319
Do they even still make DVDs? Serious question.
>>
>>6346269
>Picollo
Check the spelling.
>>
>>6346328
>>6346319
Do they still make books? How much longer until even toys just become completely digital?
>>
>>6346334
The thing is, as far as disc-based mediums go, DVDs have been surpassed by Blu-ray.
>>
File: Co2DxhCXgAEEJO0.jpg (143KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Co2DxhCXgAEEJO0.jpg
143KB, 800x1200px
>>6346317
lol Op here
I just wasnt sure what to do as I'm new to the scene. You guys took loads off my mind so I'll just go open them and use them for what they were made for. Thanks /toy/~
>>
>>6346334
>>6346341
I'm not saying we don't need physical copies of movies, I'm saying I thought we were two or three different kinds of blu-rays deep at this point and DVD had gone the way of VHS. That said, I haven't bought a movie or video in like ten years.
>>
I opened my SSJ Trunks figure and broke a piece of it. I sold it for 250 dollars two years ago.
>>
>>6346351
I think DVD is still the default with blu rays being the expensive alternative.

>>6346350
Enjoy them, anon. Be sure to post photos of them here.
>>
>>6346267
This

Daily reminder that people who buy toys for the sole purpose of resale are scumbags and should be treated as such.
>>
>>6346350
Nice, hope you enjoy them. If anything, keep the boxes if you change your mind. I just keep boxes for expensive and fragile figures.
>>
>>6346395
>I think DVD is still the default with blu rays being the expensive alternative.

Maybe 8 years ago. But I was buying BluRays for as cheap as $10 even back in 2009, and they've only gotten cheaper. weirdly enough the price difference for new BluRays and DVDs is almost negligible; only a $4 difference or so.
>>
>super articulated Japanese imports with parts you can swap out
>wants to keep them boxed

I mean you might as well buy statues and keep them in their box because at least those don't have joints or floating heads and hands.
>>
someone post that looney tunes screencap
>>
>>6346282
>massive depreciation in value for opening a box is a myth
>>6346298
>worth like new if they have the box on places like eBay

You're both on drugs. If anything, the myth is that MISB is worth anything. People are poor as dirt now and won't pay even retail for stuff that's been off shelves for years.
>>
>>6346402
Sorry you're poor. Oh, wait, no I'm not.
>>
>>6346333
Yeah, it's spelled Peccolol.
>>
>>6346350
Im glad you went this route. You'd be missing out not playing with Cell and Vegeta 2.0. They are fantastic figures.
>>
File: in the box.png (194KB, 1528x828px) Image search: [Google]
in the box.png
194KB, 1528x828px
>>6348443
>>
>>6348949
>You're both on drugs. If anything, the myth is that MISB is worth anything. People are poor as dirt now and won't pay even retail for stuff that's been off shelves for years.
You're totally right! No one in the toy collecting community has ANY money and everyone is just suddenly poor all of a sudden. It's a total mystery how these lines manage to survive when literally every single collector doesn't have a single dollar to spare on anything!

>>6346282
>the massive depreciation in value for opening a box is a myth. As long as you keep everything in like new condition you can take it out of the box
This. It's the box being missing entirely that causes the worst drop in value because it's assumed people who don't keep the box don't give a shit about their toys and it also causes anxiety in how the toy will be packed for shipping causing potential breakage or paint scraping/transfer. If you keep the box and toy in immaculate condition the value difference will be negligible and you get to fully enjoy the toy.

Hell, there are some potential QC issues you can't even see or find out about until you open it. Things like missing accessories, bad paint, floppy joints, etc. So long as the seller isn't being a complete lying fuckwad about the condition of the toy it's nice to know something you are receiving isn't going to have these issues vs an unopened toy where both of you are taken by surprise. Then it gets really messy with deciding what kind of refund or compensation will come out of it if the company can't help.
>>
>>6350708
It's like you don't know that manufacturers sell to retailers and not the end customer. It's not their problem when this shit collects dust in a warehouse or has to be clearanced for pennies on the dollar.
>>
>>6350708
Also feel free to explain away the endless stream of poorfags offering below retail for SHF Freiza, Krillin, androids, etc. They're not poorfags, they just play them on TV!
>>
>>6346255
I take 90% of my toys out of the box because I didnt buy them to speculate, I bought them to display for myself in my display case.
I find nothing to be more sad than a bunch of unopened toys somewhere in a dark corner of a room.

That being said I still keep the boxes for OCD reasons.
>>
>>6350773
>It's like you don't know that manufacturers sell to retailers and not the end customer. It's not their problem when this shit collects dust in a warehouse or has to be clearanced for pennies on the dollar.
Have you ever stopped to think that maybe just maybe some toys aren't very good and so they end up on clearance? Or that maybe some toys are overpriced? Or maybe they get over-produced because the company overestimates the demand? Stop acting like every release ends up on massive clearance because they don't. There are lots of releases that sell out at full price and then start going for crazy prices on the aftermarket.

>>6350805
>Also feel free to explain away the endless stream of poorfags offering below retail for SHF Freiza, Krillin, androids, etc. They're not poorfags, they just play them on TV!
I honestly think the vast majority of them are probably flippers/scalpers looking to make a profit. They'll give sob stories and beg for a better price knowing full well they are going to turn around and flip it for profit. I've had it happen to me numerous times both here in the BST and in various toy forums. Sometimes they had the balls to do it right in front of my face and I called them out on it and other times they took it to eBay and used the same damn photos I used to sell it to them.

Most collectors who have plenty of money and really want something just pre-order it or buy it when it's available. The latecomers who missed the boat are more likely to be poor or scalpers, sure. However you will also have legitimate collectors with plenty of money who find out about things later and are willing to pay fair prices. Unless you're in some kind of rush to sell shit it's not that hard to get rid of things for a good price.
>>
>>6350877
Yes but I don't buy crappy toys in the first place. Lots of good stuff gets clearanced. But aside from online, only where it gets distributed in the first place. If I used my area as an example, I conclude that we eat toys or they cause leprosy.

I don't think it's a demand issue in most cases because people are always screaming for reissues. If the first run is available at retail or a modest premium over it, why would you hold out for a reissue? To save maybe $10 if inflation doesn't interfere?

Lowballing flippers on eBay can blow me. Getting a fair price for anything is harder than you make it sound though.
>>
>>6351006
>Lots of good stuff gets clearanced.
Lately that is the result of prices getting way too high and so people are forced to pick and choose what to buy. Back when prices were more sane people could pick up anything that mildly interested them. It's also caused by people ordering and then canceling which leaves the store with excess stock that far exceeds the actual demand. They need to clear up that space for new stock so they are forced to clearance it.

>If the first run is available at retail or a modest premium over it, why would you hold out for a reissue?
Reissues are mostly useful for stuff that has doubled or more in price. A company may choose to reissue popular stuff anyway if they feel the demand is high enough to justify a second run even if the original is still available second hand for decent prices. A lot of sellers aren't 100% trustworthy so I can see people wanting a brand new reissue even if the prices are fair second hand.

I find I have a lot of repeat customers who are super happy with how thorough I am with photos, describing any and all flaws and also packing the items really really well. They typically don't haggle with me on price because I take away all the risk on their end and my prices are excellent for the level of service I offer. If you're just putting up a few blurry low res pictures and not bothering to describe the item you're going to have a tougher time. I personally never buy from sellers like that and I don't bother asking them questions either because they typically ignore me or give shit answers.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.