[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Things you wish existed when you were a kid

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 11

File: Ghostsbustiers.jpg (204KB, 800x456px) Image search: [Google]
Ghostsbustiers.jpg
204KB, 800x456px
Sets or companies you wish were around when you were a kid,
>>
>>6337582
World of Nintendo
Xevoz
D-arts, figuarts, figmas and revoltechs

but here's one problem: IF they did exist when i was a kid, i would completely miss them because i had a very small interest in toys. What would we have growing up? also now i think about kids today not being able to get the cool stuff we can get
>>
File: 3088170659_03bbef2b4c.jpg (92KB, 500x412px) Image search: [Google]
3088170659_03bbef2b4c.jpg
92KB, 500x412px
>>6338029
>be 12
>parents only buy me a toy twice a year
>my parents go shopping for my cousin's birthday party
>They buy him the entirety of Xevoz wave 4
>I stare at the containers until his birthday, memorize every detail, completely enamored with their designs and features
>they finally give them to my cousin
>He doesn't even bother to open them on his birthday so I don't get to see them
>I visit him a few weeks later and ask about the figures
>he lost almost all the pieces in a giant pile of crap in his closet
>I spend hours cleaning out his closet gathering only roughly half the pieces
>spend months researching the line intensely online and plan which ones to ask for on my birthday 6 months later
>Parents don't even look for them
>I go to toys R us with some of my birthday money from grandpa and the workers tell me they haven't stocked Xevoz figures in over a year
>still don't own a xevoz figure to this day

I always assumed the figures were just really expensive which is why my parents didn't get them for me. Now I know they were under $10 and my parents just didn't care. Sometimes I still dream of finding them for their original prices at flea markets or thrift stores but can't bring myself to spend $70 on each figure.
>>
File: 1331355193693.jpg (199KB, 818x1095px) Image search: [Google]
1331355193693.jpg
199KB, 818x1095px
>>6345624
Tragic tale. But hey man, you seem to be quite the hard worker, or at least very thorough. I think you could put those skills to use watching eBay like a hawk. See, I missed out on Xevoz too. I came to the party years after the line had ended and was really bummed about it. With some careful eBaying though, I was able to collect nearly the entire line at close to retail prices. You just gotta be diligent. I believe in you.

Chase them, anon...trust me when I say they're STILL WORTH IT. They hold up extremely well even after all this time, and are some of my favorite toys in my collection.
>>
>>6345666
Thanks man. I'll keep an eye out. I guess I just felt that after sinking in all that effort as a kid I shouldn't bother. Knowing you apparently got good prices on them gives me hope though.
>>
>>6345624
I still got this guy I think
>>
>>6345818
He was the one I wanted most
>>
>>6345624
Keep your eyes open on places like eBay, you can find them at decent prices or in parts lots if you're diligent.
>>
>>6337582
> decades too late for the movies release
> 19 years too late for my childhood
> a year too late for the reboots release

I can understand something of this but how do you fuck up this much?
>>
>>6337582
I had the Real Ghostbusters figures and firehouse.
Though I did love Playmobil too and would have loved this.
>>
>>6345624
>>6345761
your parents sound like complete assholes
>>
>>6345624
I'm sorry anon. This story made me sad. Spoil your kids bro.
>>
>>6337582
Jesus fucking christ.
I would have blown so many mental fuses over this.
I'm tempted to fucking buy one.
>>
>>6346564
I'm really fucking baffled that its not even the reboot characters. That is amazing on so many levels.
Maybe the reboot brought the price point of the license down so much they could afford to release some classic ghostbusters toys.

6 year old me would have been all over this 25 years ago.
>>
>>6345624
>see this post
>google the line as they look oddly familiar
>turns out I have skull jack
didn't know he was a xevoz or even what he was called cause I found him at a flea market a few years back and just thought
" cool, a jointed robo skelly pirate"

>the downside of just buying figures that look cool as hell and not a particular series

my version has both hands and one skelly foot not the hook/ pegleg, had both guns and a couple of the armour pieces but no backplate
>>
File: 8301583.jpg (82KB, 770x568px) Image search: [Google]
8301583.jpg
82KB, 770x568px
>>6345624
I feel this way about skeleflex yet the worst part of skeleflex is the fact that they basically don't exist. I can only ever find the dinosaur ones for awful aftermarket prices.
>>
File: Gizmoduck.jpg (254KB, 600x454px) Image search: [Google]
Gizmoduck.jpg
254KB, 600x454px
Off the top of my head:
- Toonami toys, mainly of Tom 1 or 2 and the Absolution.
- Swat Kats. We got a few figures, but I wish we could have gotten more that were closer to the animation models and a Turbokat for T-Bone and Razor to ride in.
- The ship from Space Cases
- Johnny 5 from Short Circuit
- Gizmoduck. Why the fuck haven't we gotten a Gizmoduck figure yet?
>>
>>6360311
I never even saw those one in stores. I had no idea they made anything other than dinos and "aliens". Shit. I really want that red skelly.

>>6345624
Broseph, hunt them down. You won't regret it. I got three of them, Franken Punker included, off an anon on here for $50. You never know.
>>
File: wrex_the_dawg_b6.jpg (95KB, 1315x1200px) Image search: [Google]
wrex_the_dawg_b6.jpg
95KB, 1315x1200px
>>6337582
>you wish were around when you were a kid,
interactive robot toys
I would die for having picrelated Wrex the Dawg as a kid.

Nowadays robots are way more entertaining than they were before. I have picrelated and turn him on sometimes but that's all.
But i understand HOW MUCH i would love having this dog as a kid.
I was dying to have a "robot-friend" back then. Sometimes i just want to make a time-machine and transfer this dog to me in the past.
also the letter that says "never leave the bar in Cologne early in 2014" sigh
>>
>>6360434
>- Gizmoduck. Why the fuck haven't we gotten a Gizmoduck figure yet?
man, I'd love a super deluxe Super Robot Chogokin Gizmoduck. the accessory count would be massive, lots of little articulated pop out arms.
>>
File: Darkwing_Duck_Series_2.jpg (145KB, 876x1170px) Image search: [Google]
Darkwing_Duck_Series_2.jpg
145KB, 876x1170px
>>6360434

I really wish we would have gotten this wave.
>>
>>6337582
>Sets or companies you wish were around when you were a kid,

There are none. What I do wish is that some of the stuff I have from my child hood toys were still around today now that I'm an adult and have my own fuckin money.

Gundam Mobile Suit in Action- God damn dude I wish Bandai was still making these. I've probably grown my collection to 1000% of what it was when I was a kid.

21st Century Toys- When I turned twelve I "graduated" from 1/18 scale gi joes to 1/6 action figures. I loved these, they were realistic, had an amazing range of themes compared to the Classic Collection at the time (1999-2000), and were cheap especially compared to 1/6 stuff today. When I got back from Iraq and had that saved up deployment money I found an online shop selling the uniform and weapons sets for $10 a piece and bought every single one.
>>
>>6350155
>your parents sound like complete assholes

This. I grew up where at times we didn't have money for anything but the necessities (rent, food, power, water, no entertainment), but when my parents had money they bought us stuff. What they didn't do was never buy us anything and then spend a shit load of money on our cousin or something.

That's some Harry Potter level shit dude. That's straight up just under some Flowers in the Attic level of shit.
>>
>>6360693
>>6350155
That's disappointing to hear. I was kind of hoping that was "normal" somehow.

And well, my mom who I've helped out for the past year is moving to the other side of the planet to marry someone I don't know after my step dad commited suicide.

So uhhh, be happy with what you guys have/had.
>>
>>6361186
>That's disappointing to hear. I was kind of hoping that was "normal" somehow.

The not getting toys outside of birthdays or Christmas IS normal. That was my experience. Very rarely did I get a toy outside of those two times. Even when my parents had the money to blow they didn't buy me or my brothers toys and shit outside of special occasions. They would just save it up for Christmas. Like one year, just before GI Joe died in the 90's, my parents got me a shit load of Joes for Christmas including that giant Battle Corps space mech that could roll along the floor, which was better than my parents buying me one or two toys multiple times a year.

But my parents wouldn't then go spend a shit load of money on one of my cousins and then when my brothers or I had a birthday would they then not even care.

But people change, honestly. It's likely your mom thinks back about that kind of thing, or will think back about that kind of thing, and regret it. I saw it with my grandmother and my own mother. My grandmother disowned my mother as a teenager over doing stupid teenager shit her older sisters did too (who also treated my mom like shit her entire life), but at that point my grandmother was working overseas a lot and didn't want to deal with it. So fast forward about thirty+ years and my mom and our family are the only ones around to take care of her as Alzheimers sets in and her two older daughters are nowhere to be found.
>>
>>6360584

Fucking Playmates and their obsession with canceling their toys even afer showing prototypes.
>>
>>6360311
Good fucking riddance to Skeleflex. Yeah, they looked really cool, and were really poseable, but they were made of remarkably shitty plastic that FELT strong but snapped unexpectedly easily. I had so many Skeleflex parts break on me over the years...
>>
>>6360512
This is a good ass photo. It's probably the only photo I've ever liked taken in a plastic "hangar." Something about those backgrounds just turns me of the fuck off, but it works for me here. Maybe it's the juxtaposition of Franken Punker's chunky cartooniness against all those geometric straight lines.

Also, I had a Franken Punker way back in the day, and stupidly sold it. I then regretted it and had to rebuy it for much more money on eBay later.
>>
>>6361186
Sorry bro. Sounds like your life is not going too well, I sincerely hope you catch a break soon. I'm going through some tough times right now too in a different way, but reading your posts did indeed make me think about the good things in my life and appreciate them more.
>>
>>6360574
I kind of hate you for putting that idea in my head knowing it will never happen.

>>6360584
So many neat figures in there. Then again I only had Darkwing as a kid so I doubt I'd have gotten any of those either way.
>>
>>6361852
That doesnt change the fact that theyre fucking rad. You had your fun with them and then they broke down. Atleast you got to experience them, I didnt even get that chance.
>>
>>6360434
I wanted a Toonami toyline so badly as a kid. I wanted a Gene Starwind toy.
>>
>>6362309
I had about two days of fun before they started breaking, yeah. I dunno man. It's kinda of even worse for me I think. To have actually held such cool toys in your hands then have them crumble to dust is pretty damn disappointing.
>>
>>6361186
>>6361539

These stories always kind of make me feel bad, since getting toys was a very common occurrence for me. But at the same time, mom and dad were divorced and were trying to buy my love and shit so I don't know if I'd have rather had the toys or the constant screaming and being traded between houses or used as a pawn or whatever.

My mom once stole my backpack so my dad would have to come talk to her and I almost failed a class because of it. Imagine not trying to tell your teacher that the dog ate it, but your mom went on a pill binge and stole your backpack.

Anyways, I always wanted Sonic the Hedgehog toys, but none ever came until 1999 where I was just getting old enough that playing with action figures with friends wasn't going to happen anymore.
>>
File: johnnyV1_01.jpg (117KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
johnnyV1_01.jpg
117KB, 480x640px
>>6360434
>- Johnny 5 from Short Circuit

There is a facebook group for this. You can order a kit from china and build your own as a figure or model.
>>
>>6361852
>they were made of remarkably shitty plastic that FELT strong but snapped unexpectedly easily.

This.

Great concept but the QC on these were fucking garbage. I bought a bunch of them and they literally would fall over just a few inches and fucking break like glass.

I'd love to see someone revive the line with better QC.
>>
>>6362961
I actually have that. It's okay, but not really worth the (I think) $200 it went for initially. I have no idea how the ones from China compare, but the original is okay in terms of quality.

I'd rather have an official one similar to one of the electric ones from Short Circuit 2 that could roll around and get into trouble.
>>
>>6363114
Word. It was a strong product, I actually liked it way more than Bionicle at the time. They just needed better marketing, maybe doing away with the big head cases (those were neat but took up too much room), and better plastic.

I even complained to the company and they sent me a replacement figure, claiming the one I had was from a defective older run. That one also broke.
>>
>>6360684
>Gundam Mobile Suit in Action- God damn dude I wish Bandai was still making these. I've probably grown my collection to 1000% of what it was when I was a kid.
yeah it's a damn shame that line died, it was one of the absolute best Action Figure lines ever made in the history of toys, both in terms of toy quality(absolutely amazing in terms of both durability and articulation, not to mention accessories), but also in terms of value(from what I can recall the majority of the line was very reasonably priced for what you got)
>>
>>6363399
>(from what I can recall the majority of the line was very reasonably priced for what you got)

Definitely. Apparently they are still common enough in Japan that they still go for or less than retail but can get expensive when you're talking US sellers.

What was even better about the line is that as time went on the engineering improved dramatically. The mobile suits that got Version 2 figures (Zaku II, Dom/Rick Dom, Gundam, GM) and Extended MSIA have an amazing level of poseability and detail.
>>
>>6345624
I'm just ..I don't even understand this

Your parents were either too fucking poor or too stingy to get their son two toys a year, but fucking splurge on their nephew? Why?

I mean I spoil my neice, but once I have my own kid, those days are fucking done. I would never prioritize my brother's child over my own
>>
>>6366531
>Why?

It could be one or the other parent who are trying to "curry favor" with their brother or sister who has or makes more money. It could be they were trying to appear to make more money and be able to afford more expensive gifts than they really could.

Or maybe they just hated their kids. It could be anything.
>>
File: contrux2.jpg (13KB, 263x182px) Image search: [Google]
contrux2.jpg
13KB, 263x182px
MegaBlocs and all the other Lego-compatible competition. In the mid-1980's, I made lots of spaceships in Lego. I LOVED it!
So one year, I asked my divorced parents (who live at around 250Km appart) some new Lego sets.

BOTH gave me pick related... That's right. Not only did it was NOT Lego compatible, but just got the EXACT SAME set TWICE.
I cried.

Crisis would have been averted if only Mega Blocks existed... Less expensive, compatible, and GOOD. Sigh...
>>
>>6366681
Forgot to add that it was my worst X-Mass ever.

Ah, the luxuries of a brat's 1st World problems.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.