[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A collection room that looks good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: modern4[1].jpg (140KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
modern4[1].jpg
140KB, 800x451px
I'm gonna move to a new place soon and, for the first time, I'll have a room dedicated to my (quite large) collections (figures and manga) and I'm really hesitant on how to make it look good. I've researched the subject on Google Images but since I don't really know what I want, it's not that easy to find something I like.

Should I settle for glass cabinets or shelves with glass doors?
If I choose glass cabinets, should I buy some with plain (what color?) or mirror backgrounds? (I don't really like transparent backgrounds.)
If I choose shelves with glass doors, what color should I buy? I think black is classier but I have quite a lot of figures with dark colors which would probably pop out more on white shelves.

Feel free to post pic of kickass collection rooms. I need ideas.
>>
>>6323506
And just to be clear, I don't think that pic looks good. At all.
>>
I think it's not about which kind of display case you get, but the amount of figures that you display. The more you put out for display, the more cluttered it looks. I'd just stick to your favorites, or go for a theme and try not to cram too much in a small space.
>>
>>6323520
I'll have more than enough room to display everything while avoiding the cluttered look.
>>
>>6323506
I think most of your questions can easier answered if you add some more information.

What do you collect?
How much is it?
How do you want the rest of the room to look like?
Will you do anything else in this room (use as a computer room or whatever)?

It's best if you first make up your mind how you want the overall room to look like. What kind of floor do you want? Color of your walls? Are there windows, if yes, how many and where?
If you know how the room itself should look like, you can get the best fitting cabinets for it AND your collection.
>>
>>6323506
desu your display is too crowded, try thining out the crowd,

>my collection for refrence

try spacing up things a little
>>
You shouldn't have full collections on display. Outside of elaborate dioramas of smaller scale figures there's no reason for more than a handful of figures per space in the room. A shelf should have 1-3 figures max to look good, same thing for a top of a table, dresser, real, etc.
>>
There are two directions you can go, imo. You can either do this >>6323670. If you want your display to look tasteful and high-end, put a few figures on a shelf with a ton of empty space around them. Treat it like it's a sculpture in a museum. Even this anon >>6323645, who is on the right track, hasn't followed their own advice. Those kaiju each deserve a shelf to themselves, for example. The focus is on each toy as a single piece.

Your other option is to display a full collection. Treat each toy as part of the texture. Often these displays will be sorted by color. Repetition and uniformity are good here. Do you have a lot of figures with similar sizes and shapes? Do you have the same thing in many colorways? The focus here is on how the whole thing looks at a distance. When you look closer you can notice the details.

Anything in the middle looks like a clusterfuck.
>>
Having a good collection is easy and affordable. Buy a sturdy wood bookshelf. Separate your shelves by toy line. Put transformers on one shelf, and marvel legends on another. You may have a large collection so stacking is fine. If you have a small collection put books or vidhyanath in there to pad it out. Put your very figures, like your devastator, or galactus on the top of the shelf.

Congratulations! You are now the envy of you friends!
>>
>>6323605
>What do you collect?
Mostly robots (TF MP, SRC, SOC, Riobot, Metamor-Force, Arcadia stuff, RD... probably about 150 or 200 figures), about 100 S.H.Figuarts from various licences and about 100 figures from various lines. I know I'll need a lot of shelves but there's plenty of room. I just need them to be big (I have some really big figures and I hate to break teams between several shelves) and good looking.
>It's best if you first make up your mind how you want the overall room to look like. What kind of floor do you want? Color of your walls?
I don't have any preferences, I just want something that looks good as a whole but since I'm not good with colors and stuff and since I never saw a good looking room like this, I'm lost (some are okay I guess but I never saw one that made me think "damn, that's perfect, I WANT this"). There's a window but I'm gonna remove it.
>Will you do anything else in this room (use as a computer room or whatever)?
I'll probably end up putting my PC, my consoles and a couch in it. Maybe some framed vintage anime posters depending on how it'll looks.
>>6323645
Not my display and I don't like it but sorry but I don't really like yours either, it still too cluttered for me and I don't like transparent backgounds on glass cabinets. I hope that didn't sound like I'm a dick, I'm just trying to be honest and English is obviously not my first language.

To everyone answering about what/how much figures to display, thank you but I already know what I'm gonna display and again, I have more than enough room to do that while avoiding the cluttered look. What I need advice for are the type of furnitures, colors to use for these furnitures, maybe colors to use on the walls, floor and ceiling, basically the questions I asked in the OP.
>>
>>6324335

You clearly know what you like and don't like, why are you asking for advice? You need validation or something? Also if you think >>6323645 is even too cluttered, you're going to have a hard time spacing out the over 400 figures you say you have.
>>
>>6324376
>You clearly know what you like and don't like, why are you asking for advice?
I don't except from what I said in the OP.
>Also if you think >>6323645 # is even too cluttered, you're going to have a hard time spacing out the over 400 figures you say you have.
No, it'll be easy. I could display at least twice, maybe thrice as much and still not having clustering issues. The room is big enough.
>>
>>6324423
clusterfuck*
>>
>>6323645
>all dem pokeymans
I like your collection Anon.
>>
>>6323645
Tfw you post my collection claiming it to be your own
>>
>>6324549
Your clusterfuck is ugly and needs thinning out.

And that bottom shelf is way too low and you cant see shit. Put something big down there that is easier to look at.

I think OPs bottom shelf with the Matrix figures has sorta the right idea and i want to see more of it.

OP, post good pictures by crouching down as far low as you can or lay down to take a photo so we can get a good look at it.

... bottom shelves for glass cases are such a waste.
>>
>>6324552
It's not my display.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.