[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You vs. the collector you where a few years ago

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 16

File: SR3.jpg (73KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
SR3.jpg
73KB, 640x426px
How have your collection habits changed in the last few years? Do you still collect the same stuff, or have you changed?

>Me, a few years ago
>Retail transformers are the most fun figures ever and the best value
>Hot Toys look ugly and realistic figures are for boring people
>articulation is the most important thing in a humanoid figure
>Toy Biz marvel Legends are some of the greatest figures ever made
>Revoltechs are amazing
>NECA is overrated and just glorified McFarlane statues

Now
>Mainly collecting high end Japanese imports of mecha stuff
>Sentinel is one of the coolest companies ever, if a bit pricy
>retail Transformers are fun, but disappointing.
>Have a collection of 10 Hot Toys(albeit half of them are characters where you barely see their face)
>NECA's can do some really cool stuff
>>
Then
>spent at least four digits on gunpla
>bought random shit on mandarake

Now
>massive regret to the point of wanting nothing to do with anything vaguely similar to model kits
>banned from Manda
>>
Five years ago:
>maybe I should buy a toy again, for nostalgia's sake and to have something neat on my desk

Four and a half years ago:
>shit, can't believe so many great figures came out in stores before I started collecting again as an adult. Wonder what else I missed...

Four years ago:
>I dunno, /toy/ is raving about it but $40 for an import figure doesn't seem worth it. But it's a long-time favorite character, so...

Three years ago:
>looks like all these pre-orders will come in stock at the same time, man I'm going to save so much on EMS for this month's shipments

Two years ago:
>huh, I guess this new figure is cool. I'll just put it back in the box and come back to it later

Last year:
>add another figure to the buyer's remorse list, can't believe I fell for the hype again

This year:
>christ I have a lot of shit that I don't care about

And that's why I'm selling shit now. After lots of mixed feelings I know now what series actually matter to me, and which ones are just empty impulse purchases.
>>
File: Green Lantern's Light 2.jpg (1MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
Green Lantern's Light 2.jpg
1MB, 2816x2112px
I wasn't much of a collector until 2010. This was when I had a desire to collect action figures as well as Lego. I started off small with a few small figures from comic books that I could find on bigbadtoystore for cheap. I started getting larger things with the purchase of this Green Lantern set. I found it at a local Walmart for a ridiculously cheap price. I bought it mostly for Guy Gardner, who is my favorite Green Lantern. Now I have seven or eight different figures of him. Then I started building up my Lego collection. I got into the new Kingdoms sets that were being released. I started getting my old stuff out of storage and building new things. After I graduated college, I didn't have much money and I owed quite a bit. This was when I only bought what I could afford to buy, mostly Lego minifigures. I moved around a few times, my collection growing slowly here and there. I finally got back closer to my hometown and got a steady job with decent(ish) pay. I was making enough to keep myself fed and I could afford a decent sized purchase from time to time. Eventually I bought larger sets like Jabba's Palace and the Rancor pit since it brought me back to watching my favorite movie. I started buying even larger sets when The Lego Movie came out (Metal Beard's ship for one) and that's when I started running out of room to display these things.

Nowadays I only buy minfigures. I moved again and I left most of my larger sets and toys at my dad's house (and it's crowded there) since this place is even smaller than my old place and I now have two cats that like to play with things.
>>
>>6316182
I do not understand the blind neca hate on here. Have they messed up? Yes they have, and big time too. But are some of the things they put out actually cool? Yes.

You can like a product that a company makes while still pointing out flaws that they may have had. People don't have to blindly hate everything, it boggles my mind. It just shows how ignorant and close minded they are.
>>
>>6316182

Quit impulse buying Transformers and random "cheap" things at Target and Walmart. I've been clean since the third movie and it feels great.
>>
>>6316294
A lot of it is blowback to the haughty attitudes NECA fans have, where they see what they're buying to be at the "right" level, cheaper toys being too unrefined, and more expensive toys being a waste of money.
>>
Beginning:
>Nendoroids, figma, Monster Hunter shit, a couple Neca aliens

Then:
>Think shinkis are cute
>maybe I could dress some up
>Building this dollhouse diorama isn't weird since it fits right in a detolf shelf, so it's just like a display

Now:
>Do I really need 75 dollars worth of wigs right when I buy this doll, or should I hold off until she arrives?
Send help. I'm scared I'm going to impulse buy a vacuum chamber one day.
>>
>>6316294
The unwavering neca apologists also help in creating a poor perception of the company on this board, but ultimately you can't judge a company based on its fans/collectors.
>>
File: 1450402161862.jpg (414KB, 860x636px) Image search: [Google]
1450402161862.jpg
414KB, 860x636px
>>6316182
My collecting history pretty much goes like this:
>collect Transformers as a kid, stop buying toys in early teens
>Become 18, get a job and discover /toy/
>shitloads of figuarts, a few exclusives and a SRC or two
>Figmas and Revoltechs since I was more into anime
>Shitloads of HG kits and a few MGs, Build Fighters had just come out
>Transformers
>Transformers
>Transformers
>Transformers
>Star Wars Figures for some fucking reason
>Marvel Legends
>Old Transformers
>Third Party Transformers

I need to sell some of this crap.
>>
>>6316182
>the collector you where

the grammar on this board is fucking abysmal
>>
>early days
Comics, Lego, Playmobil, Matchbox, Star Wars, Star Trek, Mego, Shogun Warriors, He-Man, GI Joe, Transformers, Robotech, Intellivision, NES and SNES.

>then
Comics, Star Wars, Star Trek, DCUC, Marvel Legends, Soul of Chogokin, GI Joe, Doctor Who, Revoltech, PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, Xbox 360 and lots of DVDs.

>now
Comics, Lego and Marvel or anime figure now and then. Last game I bought was GTA 5. Small curated blu-ray collection.
>>
few years back
>pokemon d-arts

little later
> find out about monsterarts

after that
>shf dbz

now
>shma
>figma
>nendo
>shf
>sas
>gunpla
>revoltech
>etc

its a slippery slope
>>
Kid
>He-Man
>Ninja Turtles
>X-Men
>Batman

Teenager
>Transformers
>Anime Shit
>Video Game Figures

Young Adult (College age)
>Transformers AGAIN (previously sold all toys from teenage years)
>More Anime SHIT
>Gundams

Now
>Ninja Turtles (We're back to this AGAIN?!)
>Batman( REALLY?!?!)
> Occasional Gundam Model
>>
>>6316390
>collect GoBots
>GoBots go away, collect TFs
>TFs go away, collect NES/WWF
>G2 happens, collect TFs again
>G2 goes away, collect SNES/POTF2, suffer through BW
>Internet happens, collect old G1 from eBay and Japanese reissues, suffer through BM
>reissues slow, AEC distribution bad, branch out to ML
>Binaltech is awesome, Alternators distribution a joke, become Takaracuck
>Classics
>suffer through Bayformers, back to Marvel/DC
>suffer more Bayformers, bad Universe/Generations distribution
>more Bayformer suffering
>suffering continues, Bayformers won't stop
>MPs, hooray, oh, wait, 3 per year
>inch into Figuarts/Figma/RAH/HT/SWB/ML/DCC/etc
>follow only Takara and FansToys for TFs
>>
Kid
>Jazwares Sonic the hedgehog
>NECA Gremlins (the OG line)
>Shitty anime prize figures

Teenager
>Figma weeb shit

Young Adult (Now)
>SAS Jojo
>NECA Evil Dead, Slasher villains, Terminator, Robocop, AVP
>Monsterarts Godzilla
>SHF Normie figures (Bruce Lee. some Marvel and DC, DBZ)
>The occasional Figma (One Punch Man, Leonidas, Snake, etc.)
>>
File: DSC02735.jpg (178KB, 811x1099px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02735.jpg
178KB, 811x1099px
like 3-4 years ago and now, by line/subject:

>I can't believe I fell for the revoltech meme again, man I'm never buying another one of these again
>Revoltech is low-key my favorite line, even if yamaguchi can't seem to help himself from making at least one full retard choice on every figure.

>transformers are pretty great, but man this third party thing is too blue for my blood
>transformers are still fun, but I don't keep up with the line at all anymore and I no longer flinch at dropping crazy money on third party

>marvel movies are pretty fun, but buying toys of them? Man, I don't know
>own 80% of legends/marvel figuarts released in the last 4 years, could make a throne out of these fucking iron men

>what the fuck is sentinel?
>sentinel makes amazing toys, but rarely of properties I'm into

>I don't really get hot toys or 1/6th in general
>still don't

>neca? lol I'm not into aliens or predators
>they've made a couple of my all time favorite toys, but I still don't fuck with the vast majority of their output

>so much stuff I missed out on, man I hope I eventually snag some of these grails
>the vast majority of my grails were disappointing

>I have a shitty camera, I'm sure I could take good pics with a better one
>I have a decent camera, I'm sure I could take good pics if I knew what I was doing

>>6316574
>>6316316
>>6316224
I think if there's a common /toy/ experience, it's the realization of how slippery the slope is about a year or so after you've fallen off it.
>>
I've been able to realize what I really want, acknowledge that it's a good looking collection with pieces I love vs so much quantity. I've been able to purchase shelves that display my goods and enjoy it a lot more now. I'm happy with where I've come even if I've gotten rid of at least 3/5th of my collections.
>>
I used to be hardcore into Pokemon but switched over to rusty robots and 1/6. My collection looks pretty deranged with the mismatch between plush toys and robots
>>
I had a mental breakdown a year ago and had to move back in with my elderly parents for both taking care of myself and them.

Most of my figures are in storage or in the mess of a house my dad has. I've been digging out some old stuff from when I was a kid. It's a blessing and a curse.

I did toss some stuff away instead of storage stupidly, thanks to the combo of panic and depression. I thought I'd lose some stuff to fumigation bullshit. Turns out we might not even have had a problem at my apartment. Whatever. That shit is behind me now. Getting myself together is my focus. Still occasionally get stuff.
>>
File: IMG_20130623_194532.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20130623_194532.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>6316182
Then (4 years ago)
>Shitty bachelor apartment/part time job
>Small collection of Video game figures and mecha.
>Shitty self display made of CD rack inserts because of no space some real ghetto shit
>Only picked up figures at cons and LCS's usually paying ass rape prices because didn't know better.
>Worked on custom toys as a secondary hobby with the most basic tools and a shitty workspace which generated a decent secondary income.
>Never really a brand snob because didn't know better.

Now
>Well paying full time job decent sized apartment
>Multiple detolfs and wall shelves and still not enough space (Adding 2 more detolfs in a week).
Display so intricate I can control the lights with my voice.
>Budget went from 300$ a year to possibly $300 a month.
>Still not really a brand snob but still feel most western offerings are shit. Picked up my first ML's and I'm already reselling one after trying to pose it once.
> Collection covers all scopes of media except Hollywood..
>Large work space created for customization/photography with all the bells and whistles. Job gives no time for it though.

Future
>Might move into 1:6 as the offerings from some Threezero and the Chinese companies like Coreplay have intrigued me.
>Dedicated vacation time to relearn traditional sculpting and 3D modeling as might get back into customization but strictly as a hobby.

Honestly money/time is number one factor in mine and most collectors habits. My backlog is almost clear so I'm probably going to reduce my spending significantly.

Pic of ghetto display.
>>
Then
>everything that looks cool must be bought
>400+ TF collection
>120+ Revoltechs collection
>Revoltechs are cool and cheap
>Hot Toys are awesome
>diecast is a proof of quality

Now
>anything that isn't the best toy iteration ever of that character must be ignored
>MP TF only
>only kept the Revoltechs that don't have a good alternative yet
>Revoltechs are shit
>Hot Toys are shit
>diecast is shit
>>
>be nornal guy in 2011
>see reveal the shield transformers
>buy a few
>get into slippery slope
>buy more transformers
>gf leaves me
>get into petty arguments about transformers
>become fat
>start growing beard to cover fat neck

>mfw collecting transformers literally turned me into a fat neckbeard
>>
>>6317302
Did she leave because of your TFs?
>>
Then: (started collecting again in 2009-ish)
>no impulse control, buy everything and anything cool
>impressed by everything since articulation like this didn't exist when I bought stuff as a kid
>buy tons of scale statues too
>probably spent $1000+ a month on regular basis
>huge ass collection of Revoltech, SAS, figma, SHF, SIC, SRC, D-Arts, RD, Transformers, GI Joes, etc

Now:
>prices going up + lack of room for stuff made me slow way the fuck down
>too lazy to sell old stuff
>burnt out and no longer feel stuff is worth prices they charge
>spending around $100-300 a month tops, often times have ZERO orders per month now
>was only buying figma with regularity and now that has stopped as well due to insane pricing

It's just not fun when you realize what used to buy you 3 figures can now only buy you one figure in the case of some of these lines. The only thing I was super happy with recently is SHF Ryu and Chun Li because the price was fair and they are super fun to pose. I've just become too damn picky at the prices stuff goes for these days and I was already pretty OCD to begin with.
>>
>>6317305
Yep. Brought her to botcon and she hated it. Complained that I spend more time on tf forums. Which is true. She caught me using her credit card buying takara stuff online.
>>
>>6317314
>bring girlfriend to botcon
>steal her credit card to order transformers
At least you will never pass on your genes and further pollute the gene pool.
>>
>>6317326
The point is, I was never this way before.
My life went to shit when I started collecting transformers.
>>
>>6317314
I can understand the cc thing but the rest is really stupid to complain about. Women.
>>
>>6317353
Guys I spotted the virgin!
>>
>>6317345
>Transformers turned me into a thief!

Sure thing, anon.
>>
>>6317376
Speaking of which wasn't there an anon here who steals his grandma's pension money to buy scalped transformers?
>>
>>6317314
Good riddance
>>
>>6317405
Nah. I know he still lurks here.
The grandma died a few months ago and he started stealing from his mom who works 2 jobs.
>>
>>6317369
Hmm, let's see:

I'm a virgin even though I'm 33 and married with two children
OR
You're too dumb to realize that you're dating stupid cunts.

I really wonder what the right answer is.
>>
>>6316206
>banned from Manda
Why did you get ban ?
>>
>>6316224
>After lots of mixed feelings I know now what series actually matter to me, and which ones are just empty impulse purchases.

Help us understand the difference between the two so we can avoid making the same mistakes
>>
2013:
>first job
>buy all the things
>Lego mini figures
>marvel legends
>buy so much marvel and Lego
2017:
>I have sold all but one marvel legend and all my Lego was sold too. I moved out of my parents house and I have a room for my toys.
>more focused on a few things rather than buy able bunch of different things
>buy gunpla, transformers, SHF, and other jap imports.
So yeah a lot of regret.
>>
>>6316262
>I now have two cats
Do you really need two cats? Sell one and use the space to host more toys.
>>
>>6316301
Not that guy, but I can understand this.
>>
>>6317426
I meant for the GF
>>
>>6317824
Honestly I can't, because everyone's metric for regret is different.

From my personal journey, I've found that many imports that I have bought have felt like mistakes or bad purchases, mainly because there's so many one-and-done releases for certain series that I like. The sculpt quality is obviously going to be there 95% of the time with modern imports, and from an engineering point of view they're top of the game, and those very attributes amps me up to the point where the desire to get it pushes me over.

But it's just so fucking boring having one main character after another with nothing else from that show/manga. You only really get further depth with moe, toku, robot, and shounen lines, with few if any of those interesting me.

I got really burned out on the repetitive nature of that sort of release habit from the larger figure companies. Take Major Kusanagi, for instance. Three of her in a modern line, but no Batou, Saito, Togusa, etc. Obviously it comes to money, projected sales figures, and whatnot for a company to determine the viability of a release, but that's little solace on the end of the individual consumer that wants it and finds boredom and/or frustration in not getting it.

That's the main reason that I reigned down my import purchases, and look at so many desirable character releases with deep skepticism. I'm not a completionist by any means, but that's just how I've felt these last few years. I got fed up with a shelf full of nothing but mains and the impulsive nature behind getting them without realizing how little else there will be to support the purchase beyond that character.
>>
>>6316401
Hello Moot.
>>
>>6316182
Then;
>Started collecting in 9th grade
>From then till I was 19
>Marvel Toy Biz 5 inch figs, other figures in that scale from other lines, DC Total Justice, etc, spawn shit
>Neca videogame toys
>Goofy bootlegs here and there
>gimmick 80s and 90s figures and toy sets
>DBZ shit
>Some marvel legends, started with a Thor
>One DCUC, Nightwing from years ago, no escrima sticks
>Horror figures

Now;
>Mostly all 1:12 scale 6 inch figs
>Marvel Legends
>DCUC stuff
>MOTU stuff
>Most horror stuff is out up by this point aside from my Ash figure and a Jason, mixed in with my horror-themed Marvel Legends and DCUC characters
>Only collect anime/videogame figs if they're in scale
>Giant monsters like Inhumanoids or Gorzak, Cthulhu, etc all acceptable
>still have most of my stuff, but in boxes in my closet, some of the gimmicky toys and 90s/80s superhero shit given away to goodwill or to smaller kids in family

My autism has reached critical mass
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (970KB, 2996x1732px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
970KB, 2996x1732px
Kid
>He-Man/Thunder Cats
>Ghostbusters
>Power Rangers figures,and Zords
>The Little Mermaid
>Beauty & the Beast
>Aladdin toys, and play sets
>Jim Hensons DINOSAURS
> Happy Meal / Burger King toy collections

Teenager
>Happy Meal sets (mostly from new upcoming Disney films)
>Some Disney Dolls

Young Adult (Now)
>Find /toy/
>Toy Story Collection toys
>Ghostbusters
>Smurfs
>Limited Edition / Designer Disney Dolls, and dolls in general
>Masters Of the Universe Classic toy line
>Star Wars
>Hot Toys
>Plush Muppet toys and replicas
>Plush toys of characters I love
>>
File: reaper bones.png (463KB, 600x456px) Image search: [Google]
reaper bones.png
463KB, 600x456px
I've cut back on buying models, because i have too much and haven't built any in years.
I do paint stuff from time to time, but not models. I add paint to normal toys.

pic of models i will still buy when they're cheap
I wonder how many kickstarters I've missed out on since I've been avoiding looking them up since 2014
>>
>>6318028
> The sculpt quality is obviously going to be there 95% of the time with modern imports
This is a straight up lie and why I'm glad they didn't bother to make anyone else by the Major.

STuff like Berserk really really pricks my bottom because they continue on with a mix of mediocrity and greatness. Makes me so annoyed that they can't be more consistent.
>>
File: toys.jpg (807KB, 2288x1712px) Image search: [Google]
toys.jpg
807KB, 2288x1712px
>>6316182
>Habits then
-Buy it because it was popular/featured on Toyfare magazine/a figma
-Complete full teams, if not lines (Buy all pokemon, make a MvC collection, buy this one Autobot team etc)
-Oh my this lego set has one piece i want, better spend $50
>Feelings then
I spent money on great toys i stopped loving, 80% have been sold/given away

>Habits now
-make less money, now have to focus on what toys are really worth owning
-No more complete teams, from now on i make my OWN teams...if i can help it...except a Smash bros collection
-Recognize Ross, TJ Maxx, Fallas etc as "secret toy stores"
-Discover Bricklink and the joy/regret of hoarding pieces i truly need without having to buy a set
>Feelings now
A little less long-run buyer's remorse and a more satisfactory collection than before
>>
File: 4971840620_cf4a237736_o.jpg (100KB, 569x523px) Image search: [Google]
4971840620_cf4a237736_o.jpg
100KB, 569x523px
A kid:
>polly pockets
>barbies/action men
>ponies
>tiny diecast cars

A teen:
>figma
>busou shinki
>revoltech
>retail transformers
>1:12 scale shit
>gunpla
>warhammer figurines
>honestly anything that took my fancy

Now, more fiscally responsible and an adult:
>transformers only, mostly 3P, one every couple months if it's one I really desire.
>considering getting back into gunpla

Christ, i've become dull in my old age. But since im only buying stuff I love, I feel much less remorseful than when I would just buy anything that looked fun/would make nice photos.
I dug some of my rarer toys (pic related) up the other years though, dunno if they're worth anything though. Will have to make a sellthread when I finally move house.
>>
Then:
>Oh sweet. This Boba Fett action figure sure looks neat. And it's part of the Black Series? Well that sounds like high dollar VIP. I'm sure I'll get my money's worth, but this will probably do it as far as collecting goes.
>I legitimately intended to only buy Fett figures from there on.

Now:
>Collection now includes Figuarts, Mafex, Revoltech, Figma, which branch into a myriad of franchises.
>I hardly look at Black Series as they're shitty by comparison.
>Figuarts is pretty much the only brand I'll buy unless it's specific I'm looking for i.e.: Figma Saitama and Mafex Boba Fett.
>I understand that while I may really want an action figure, I will never again pay $40 for it unless it meets a certain standard.
>Acquired a valid hatred of people who collect Funko Pops and laud them as "toys".
>NECA is a no-go area unless it's a character I know I won't find anywhere else.
>>
>>6318694
>*Figuarts is pretty much the only brand I'll buy unless it's a specific figure I'm looking for i.e.: Figma Saitama and Mafex Boba Fett.
>>
>buys anything Kamen Rider Black or Black RX
>buys Ultraman and kaiju toys
>buys TMNT, Street Shark and Toybiz Spider-Man, Wolverine or Venom
>random Spawn figures to be villains
> one or two Mighty Max sets here and there
>1 Bucky O Hare figure but that's probably one of my fav US toys

some time later

>SIC is out, pretty much the main toyline I buy now, also due to price, had to cut down on everything else, especially since I'm a teen and have to start being more responsible with money since I have other wants
>Xebec/Kaiyodo Eva, HnK and Trigun figures
>Fewture Nirasawa Devilman toys
>Movie Maniacs Endoskeleton/Predator from Spawn toys

pretty much my expenditure habit went up during this phase and it was nearly impossible to justify buying anything I didn't super want.

>Kaiyodo formed and announced revoltechs
>revoltech binge
>SIC catch-up, hunting down releases I've missed and exclusives that are now not as expensive

now
>some HG gunpla here and there
>SIC here and there
>Some SHF of my fav showa Riders that aren't complete jokes
>SHF Ultraman
>figma Berserk
>Takeya Revoltechs
>waiting on Venom and Spider-Man revo to arrive

I quit figmas after being disappointed by QC on Solid Snake and Guyver, basically would buy up good Predator, Alien and Endoskeleton toys but the ones with nice sculpts so far tend to have QC issues and the ones that are sturdy aren't really good looking for me. Only the revo Alien big chap has satiated some of that. I still feel like I'm oddly missing my childhood US favs that ought to get more toy attempts from diff companies.

I don't think my tastes or toy habits changed much. Only reason I'm not really buying up any Marvel Legends anymore is because I like capeshit out of nostalgia and have no interest in the current ongoing costumes or issues and the old Wolverine/Beast/Colossus ML still do the job for me.
>>
>>6318720
>Nirisawa Fewture Devilman figures
My nigga
>>
>>6316182
Then
>Collect gi Joe
>Collect transformers
>Collect neca Pacific rim/Godzilla
>Collect sh monsterarts
>Wow those hot toys look cool. To bad I'll never afford them
Now
>Sizeable 1/6 collection
>Mostly military but all fits into my GI Joe/MGS head canon
>Geeze that hot toys and sideshow is pretty expensive for what little they give you
>I'll stick to third party figures
>Still collect some 1/18 gi Joe sometimes but at this point it's nostalgia
>Necas/shf/whatever is cool but too bad they're out of my scale
Ive ended up prizing scale and articulation above all else when looking at figures. Unfortunate since 1/18 and 1/6 are pretty shit generally in articulation. Been slowing down though lately though to spend money on a guns instead.
>>
>>6316182
>start
Buy everything
>stage 2
Shit, I have too much stuff, most of this I don't even give a damn about!
>stage 3
I'll sell of what I don't want, and just focus on two or three lines
>stage 4
Shit, I still have too much stuff
>now
Radically cut down on buying toys and invest my interests elsewhere.
>>
>>6316182
Your stance on retail Transformers is weird, because I think they're way more fun, now, with the headmaster gimmick.
>>
>>6316182
A few years ago:
>"I'll only buy toys of characters I really care about"
Now:
>"Fuck, that looks awesome!"
>Add to cart.
>>
File: 20170411_1804588.jpg (2MB, 3640x2224px) Image search: [Google]
20170411_1804588.jpg
2MB, 3640x2224px
>>6317884
They're not just my cats (my girlfriend has a say in that). I couldn't part with either of them.
>>
File: 20170508_114207.jpg (908KB, 1356x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170508_114207.jpg
908KB, 1356x1152px
>me when I was 10
Owned thousands of dollars of lego sets, had a large display/building/play area

> graduated college and got a full time job, then a year and a half ago
I finally buy the lego AT-AT I had wanted as a kid, pick up a few more star wars sets for display, trying to be cautious and responsible

>today
Own 7 lego sets from the last 2 years, got 3 CCBS sets to check it out, impulse bought two elite series star wars die cast figures and two 3.75" models

I'm at the top of the slippery slope you guys describe but I m not too worried. I only like star wars and lego and all new star wars figures and sets are the garbage shovel ware new Disney characters

Pic related
>>
> I used to be a completionist, I didn't care if the figure sucked I just needed all the Transformers
>Realize Transformers are getting mre expensive and smaller

Me now
>Good job, but now I collect vinyl, impulse buy Marvel Legends and some MP scale transformers
>>
>before
>man, motuc sucks

>now
>well I guess this is what a $2500 motuc collection looks like
>>
>2011
>rickety Walmart shelves crammed to max capacity with childhood toys

>2017
>a bit more aesthetically pleasing shelves filled with a healthy mixture of childhood things and nicer, recent purchases organized by color

I also used to meme purchase neca preds and marvel legends despite not really caring about either
>>
>>6316182
> Before
> Mainly lego
> Warhammer before it became way too expensive for me

> Now
> Lego
> Pops
> Some random statues/models
> Prop replicas
> Starting 1/6th scale/hot toys
> Have little control over money, I'm always buying shit

> Help
>>
Then
>collected toys

Now
>Have everything I wanted and nothing good is coming out so I don't collect anymore.
>>
File: mega man x thumbs up.jpg (19KB, 311x291px) Image search: [Google]
mega man x thumbs up.jpg
19KB, 311x291px
>>6317265
>those Zeros

Perfect
>>
Beginning (2008):
>Wow look at all of this everything, toys have come so far since I was a kid!
>Toy Biz Marvel Legends
>DCUC
>MOTUC
>GI Joes
>Transformers
>SHF
>Figma
>Revoltech
>Power Rangers Super Legends
>Statues suck, 1/6th is lame and overpriced, lel hipster garbage
>Muh articulation!
>Impulse buy a lot

Interim:
>Had to move a couple times.
>Most of collection is never displayed.
>Realize I don't give a fuck about majority of it.
>Sell 90% of it to fund other toys or just when I need extra money.
>lol revoltingtech! CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK
>Collect vintage toys
>Start noticing the offerings of small companies
>Minifigures
>Buy a 3A figure, understand 1/6th appeal.
>For transformers, stopped buying retail, only buy MP, 3rd party, and weird bootlegs.
>Become accepting of statues
>Become accepting of vinyl pieces.
>Purchases are carefully considered
>Realize articulation isn't the be all end all

Now:
>Vinyl figures
>More vintage toys than current
>Only kept 1 TF (Generations Cosmos)
>Want one other certain TF and that would be it.
>Unless an MP of Cosmos gets made ("Spaceracer" is tempting).
>Back around to accepting Revoltech though I don't currently own any.
>Collection is far more eclectic
>Purchases even more carefully thought out.
>Mainly due to having less money than before
>Have no problem selling something when I'm no longer interested.
>Enjoy my toy collection again
>>
then, ~7 years ago
>still in high school, free funds
>find /toy/, discover anime figures
>buy pretty much every revoltech i can find
>get detolf and fill it with robots

now
>only keep a few out of their boxes at a time
>buy maybe 1 or 2 figures a year
>mostly die-cast mecha and figma waifus

mostly i just lost what little shame i still had
>>
File: 100_0766.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
100_0766.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
Earliest picture of my collection, from at least ten years ago. I started back collecting when /toy/ was introduced as a potential board. I bought mostly LEGO and Transformers.
>>
File: 20170508_005436.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
20170508_005436.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
>>6323450

And here's my current collection. I bought Figma/Figuarts for a while, but now I'll only pick them up occasionally if it's a character I really like. Same with NECA, though I think I'm done buying their stuff since my collection s pretty complete and the quality of their stuff has fallen off recently. I'm buying a lot of Marvel Legends lately though. I still buy random Transformers and LEGO minifigs too.
>>
At first I collected Play Arts, Transformers, GI Joes, and whatever else I could think of.

Now it's exclusively 1/12 stuff.
>>
Then:
>quantity over quality
Now:
>quality over quantity
I spend about the same.
>>
File: 1486869741602.jpg (39KB, 825x435px) Image search: [Google]
1486869741602.jpg
39KB, 825x435px
>>6316182
What would the name of those display cases be?

I am very interested in purchasing two for myself!
>>
>then
anything Pokemon related, tons of Nendoroids
>now
just Pokemon Nendoroids
>>
>>6318660
If those digimon were sold in my country I would probably lose all self control I have ever had for spending money
>>
Kid
>TMNT
>GiJoe
>ZBots
>Pokémon
>Vidya

Teen
>Vidya

Mid Twenties
>Vidya
>see a tmnt fig at a flea market. Buy it out of novelty "Hey, I had this as a kid! But my mom sold all my turtles"
>realize I'm in a place where I can afford to buy back my childhood
>Go insane
>buy everything 70s-90s

Now 30
> only really follow Glyos and sofubi
> vintage Star Wars
> vintage turtles
> have an entire room sized horde that is so disorganized I don't even go in there anymore.
>feels bad man
>>
>2010
First time going to a con and being impressed by the quality of Japanese import toys

Had my eyes on mainstream shit like BRS, Madoka etc

Overpaid for exclusives by 50 - 70%

Revoltechs are ugly and worships Goodsmile's cock (Thanks Danny Choo!)

Impulse buy statues, prize figures, nendoroids and waifu shit

>Now
Stalks second hand store for months and years for some revoltech i didn't purchase in the past

Nendoroids lost their appeal but still collects a few cool prize figures

Collection filled with Jojo, HnK, Bugmen and other manly shit
>>
>>6326691
>bugmen
>manly
Nigga it's been nothing but twinks cast in those roles for years now, slap a 'vintage' on that 'bugmen'
>>
File: DSC01569.jpg (569KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01569.jpg
569KB, 1280x960px
>kid
Anything that looked cool,If i got one figure from a toyline, i had to collect them all. Zbots, Kenner Aliens and preds, anything miniature playset (micro machines, war planets, mighty max) Star wars anything.

>teen
PC gaming and modding consumed my life

>20's
Few gaming figures brought me back into collecting, mostly NECA's dead space and bioshock big daddies.Fell into the completionist trap again, bought figures just to complete the toy line/series

>now

Mythic legions, and mostly anything i think looks cool. not falling for completionist traps again.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.