[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DHL vs EMS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 11

File: DHL_rgb.png (52KB, 1988x440px) Image search: [Google]
DHL_rgb.png
52KB, 1988x440px
So the last few times i've ordered from Mandarake I've used DHL cause of the fast delivery, but I'm sick of paying £50 custom charges for the privilege. Anyone in the UK have experience using EMS? Is there a chance of avoiding the heavy fees? Any stories/impressions would be very helpful.
>>
>>6308415
Sal
>>
>>6308793
*Unregistered SAL
>>
Not UK, but EMS really depends on your local postal service
>>
I'd just go with SAL or stick with DHL mate, ordered 2 things off manda last week, first one with EMS and the second with DHL.
>EMS shipped out 2 days before DHL
>It's STILL at customs after a week and a half while my other package arrived after 3 days
The customs fee is a bastard I'll give you that but this EMS package man. "Customs charges raised", nothing for 2 days followed by "Dispatched from national hub" > "Further customs charges raised"
Still haven't received the fucking letter from Parcelforce and I'm dreading it now.
>>
File: 132017191547.jpg (481KB, 1778x1000px) Image search: [Google]
132017191547.jpg
481KB, 1778x1000px
Here's a few tips if you're britbong ordering from Mandarake.

>if you want your shit quick and don't mind paying more for shipping, choose EMS
>if you don't mind a 2-4 week wait, choose R-SAL.
>when you fill out the information to place your order, write in the comments box 'Please undervalue as 1000 yen' (bear in mind only certain shops are willing to do this, Sahra and Grandchaos are two that DON'T undervalue for some reason)

I've had no customs trouble by doing this for 2+ years, with orders ranging from figma to Hot Toys. The only time I've ever had to pay customs tax is when I buy stuff from AmiAmi, HLJ, and private sellers who refuse to mark packages as gifts.
>>
>>6308951
That sounds pretty horrendous. Doesn't give me much hope in EMS. Maybe I should email Mandy and get them to switch to DHL in that case cause I hastily placed an order last night

>>6308965
Do they really undervalue on Hot Toys stuff? I figured there was no escaping through customs with them cause of the size of the box and weight. I kinda have a feeling I'll be buggered no matter what option I choose.
>>
>>6308965
Is it also possible to get Mandy to undervalue on DHL post as well?
>>
>>6309122
Heres the deal though. It's used toys. Realistically the value is whatever you want to say it is.
>>
>>6309175
Makes sense. Does this work with DHL as well though? I know they charge something like 20% VAT as standard so curious whether I can get away with paying less by getting Mandy to undervalue a bit

Cheers for the info lads
>>
This might not relate to others but for me personally I've just learned to always go with EMS. This is because my apartment has no Doorman so I miss packages often - with EMS, I can simply walk into the Post Office down the block to pick up my missed package. With DHL, it's a GIANT FUCKING PAIN IN THE ASS requiring me to call a dozen times and possibly pick it up across the entire city.
>>
File: no customs!.jpg (252KB, 443x659px) Image search: [Google]
no customs!.jpg
252KB, 443x659px
>>
>always use EMS with amiami
>my last package was sent via DHL

I have no idea why. I don't remember fat fingering anything.
>>
>>6309179
Anyone?
>>
>>6310015
I've never used DHL before, sorry anon.

Refer to what I said >>6308965, depending on how quickly you want your stuff.
>>
>>6309360
They should've given you a notice at checkout that said DHL was cheaper than EMS in this case. Just happened to me.
>>
>>6309234
A man can dream...

What's the point of customs fees IF you're importing stuff that just doesn't get made anywhere else? Why is the government entitled to get a cut of something they had no involvement with?
>>
>>6311260
>Why is the government entitled to get a cut of something they had no involvement with?

That's the government and taxes in a nutshell

"Give us a cut for no reason other than we'll throw you in jail if you don't". Organised crime at its finest.
>>
>>6311265
True...
I mean I get taxes, even if I don't like them. You support the infrastructure and having taxes that are used for that, is probably better than not having taxes at all. Still, you don't get a choice or a say in the matter...

I also get custom duty - it protects your own economy, which is very questionable by itself. But how does putting a bullshit tax on foreign plastic toys harm the local economy?
>>
>>6311278
>I also get custom duty - it protects your own economy,
>But how does putting a bullshit tax on foreign plastic toys harm the local economy?

This is what irks me. If I had the option to buy these figures for their MSRP inside of the EU/UK, I would, but they're not, so I'm forced to import. Shipping makes it expensive enough without adding customs tax and royal mail/parcelforce fees on top.

It's one big scam that hurts my wallet. There's nothing worse than waiting on a new toy only to be told its being held at ransom until you cough up more money.
>>
>>6311289
>parcelforce
Is the shit those guys pull even legal? In Germany I only ever had to pay taxes and no additional bullshit fees for the delivery.
>>
I hate DHL.
I'd much rather have my package disappear in customs than to pay those faggots one cent again.
>>
>>6311591
It's pretty sketchy.

On the one hand, 20% VAT is all we're legally obligated to pay, but since Royal Mail/Parcelforce handle our stuff, they technically can charge whatever they like.

The problem is that no one asks for the "services" they provide. In a realistically ideal world, we would receive our packages and then be billed for customs tax/VAT.
>>
>>6308965
does the nakano shop do the undervalue thing?
>>
File: nice.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
nice.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>6311670
Yes.

Of all the stores I've bought from over the years, Nakano, Fukuoka, Kokura, Nagoya, Complex, Shibuya, Umeda, Sapporo all undervalue if you ask them to.

Best of luck anon.
>>
>>6311613
what makes you say that anon? i've always had a good experience with them other than their ridiculous charges. but the few times i've gone ems i've been rekt by customs too. no luck whatsoever
>>
>Tried DHL for first time on last AMIAMI order
>Already missed the guaranteed delivery day with no update or notice on the package all day
>Stayed home all day to sign for it.

I'll stick with ems from now on.
>>
There are three things to keep in mind about customs in Europe: they're not retards, they scan the packages, there's too many packages to check.

1. They're not retards: why would something as cheap as 1000 yens get shipped EMS or such? Underdeclaring/gift marking won't do shit unless you use UNREGISTERED SAL most of the time.

2. Your packages are being scanned or they're going through a metal detector or something. If you order diecast stuff, it'll have a way higher probability to get picked for manual checking thus will probably get taxed.

3. There's too many packages for them to check which means they will let fully declared EMS stuff pass from time to time, it simply doesn't happen that often.
>>
>>6312462
>They're not retards: why would something as cheap as 1000 yens get shipped EMS or such?

I ordered three Hot Toys figures within a month from Mandarake, all shipped using EMS, all gift marked and undervalued to ¥1000.

Not a single penny paid in customs tax.
>>
>>6312506
And for each one you got, 100 or 200 of them got taxes.

Why is there a retard like this in every fucking thread about customs?
>>
Is DHL always slow as fuck?

My package has been in my state since Monday and hasn't moved at all.
>>
>>6312886

They are playing basketball with your package
>>
>>6312531
All within the same month? Fuck off anon, stop acting like you know shit.
>>
File: 1447032739835.png (16KB, 173x80px) Image search: [Google]
1447032739835.png
16KB, 173x80px
>>6312897
More like stolen by nigs.

Its 30 minutes away from my house. If it wasn't in the ghetto I would pick it up myself.
>>
Is there a reason to undervalue? Does it avoid customs if its below a certain amount?
>>
>>6313065
Yes.

If the package is valued at say, 1000 yen, it falls below the threshold for import tax. Which means you avoid paying 20% on top of what you've already paid, plus usually a fee of £8-13 from the postal service.

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty
>>
>>6313065
There are threshold for certain taxes.

Like in Mexico it is about $50 dollars you can order through the post office (order something online from the US to be delivered to your house in México), anything above that you get charged 16% on top of the actual value of the thing. You can bring $300-$500 worth of merchandise directly across the border from the US yourself depending on the season.
>>
>>6308951
(Here, overestimated by saying they'd had it for a week and a half in this post, it had only been a week. Still bullshit)

>Finally receive my letter from parcelforce to pay customs charges
>They've had my package since last Tuesday
>£10.82 import VAT
>£13.50 'clearance fee'
>Enter the reference code on their site
>"Please select when you'd like your parcel delivered"
>Sat 06 May 2017
>Mon 08 May 2017
>Tue 09 May 2017
>etc
>No option for today but fuck it select Saturday
>"Saturday deliveries incur an additional £12.00 Delivery Charge"
Are you fucking kidding me lads, EMS already cost me £34 and now you want me to pay an additional £37 if I actually want my fucking parcel this week?
Anyone know if I can just go to the depot to pick it up to avoid waiting for it? I'm near Glasgow and have a rough idea of where it is.
>>
>>6312911
My line actually.
>>
>>6313534
just wait till monday ya pleb. £24 is nothing compared to the charges i've got from dhl in the past
>>
>>6314243
Already went and picked it up
>£24 is nothing compared to the charges i've got from dhl in the past
Really? I've only ever had 2 things charged by DHL and both were £20 and £15ish if I remember.
I always get fucked over with EMS but for what I'd ordered DHL seemed too expensive from what they quoted me.
>>
>>6314286
depends how much the item was. i bought a rare blu ray set from mandy a few months ago that cost like £130 and i got slapped with a £40 charge
>>
Customs related, i just need to vent

>Check tracking
>Package in retention
>Check Royal Mail site, attempted delivery
>They didn't leave a card
>Can't pick it up from the delivery office without a card
>but i can still schedule redelivery for Saturday
>Card shows up next day saying there's a customs fee
>Go today to pick it up from the delivery office
>After waiting almost an hour they tell me they don't have it because i rescheduled delivery for tomorrow

God damn retards, if i needed to pay fees for it why the hell did they even move it. and if they left the card in the first place i wouldn't have rescheduled it.
Worst part is I know the package is worth just under £15. but i guess they decided it's worth £15 and charged me anyway.

>>6314340
>>6314286

I think they charge 20% of the value. Which wouldn't be too bad if it they didn't add on their handling fees.
>>
I've been overseas the past 6 years in Asia and have had similar experiences getting stuff from the US. Every time something is posted from the US via FedEx or another logistics chain, I get dicked when the packaged arrived at Incheon. $70 import fee for a $50 set of metal stamping dies for example. But ZERO problems when stuff has been shipped USPS first class, priority mail, or priority mail express (EMS) regardless if it were marked as a gift or not. Strange.
>>
>>6311265
Ancap pls go.

You are benefitting from port facilities, men that look at your shit to make sure is not a nuclear biological bomb, roads that help the vehicle transporting your shit to your fatass. All of wich needs maintenance.

If you don't want to pay customs go fly over to japan and buy them yourself.
>>
>>6314435
>If you don't want to pay customs go fly over to japan and buy them yourself.

>go on holiday to japan
>buy a bunch of shit from akiba
>get randomly pulled out at customs
>have to pay an extra £45 in fees

Nice alternative my man, I really like it.
>>
US here: when DHL lists "forwarded for delivery," will they ever tell me who it's been forwarded to or is it just a mystery when my package will show up now?
>>
>>6314435
If you think a single penny of customs tax goes towards paying port workers you're a fucking idiot.
>>
File: clue.gif (26KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
clue.gif
26KB, 400x300px
>>6314472
>>
>>6314621
Guess what's not on the DHL FAQ, dipsht
>>
EMS to Spain 3 huge boxes from Mandarake, and never paid custom fees, maybe works the same in UK, for other hand buying in amazon.es 50% chance to pay custom fees, so u should try EMS, am using the 15€ service and get my stuff in 6-8 days, regards.
>>
>>6316015
Buying in amazon.es, figures with huge boxes from Japan*
>>
>>6316015
We have Parcelforce in the UK though a fucking terrible service, EMS shit always gets caught by them and taxed to fuck.
>>
>>6314472
>DHL lists "forwarded for delivery,
It means it's going to USPS and your local mailman will be delivering your package.

It's similar to
Fedex smart post
UPS sure post
>>
File: spoon-feeding.jpg (82KB, 584x389px) Image search: [Google]
spoon-feeding.jpg
82KB, 584x389px
>>6314866
GUess what, you can ask them via messenger, phone, or even by chat, you ignorant, lazy fuck.
But you's rather be spoonfed like the self-entitled shitbag you are.
>>
>>6314472
>>6314866
You're a real dumbass, you know that?
https://www.google.com/search?num=100&newwindow=1&q=What+does+it+mean+forwarded+for+delivery+in+DHL%3F&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjE6pPqxd3TAhUUz2MKHT99BM4QzmcIPQ&biw=1093&bih=469
>>
File: 1446849989034.jpg (72KB, 447x686px) Image search: [Google]
1446849989034.jpg
72KB, 447x686px
>EMS package got delivered to the wrong post office in my city

How can they keep fucking up this bad? I called that post office and they told me it was on a truck to my post office, but the tracking hasn't updated at all.
>>
File: 1471373830400.jpg (18KB, 284x339px) Image search: [Google]
1471373830400.jpg
18KB, 284x339px
>>6323810
the only time a package didn't arrive to my home i had to travel to the major post office and pay about 60 us bucks in taxes
>>
>>6312914
>WTF THATS MY GRANDMOTHER
>>
>>6323895
It updated as "undeliverable as addressed."

I'm going to kill myself if this gets shipped back to Japan.
>>
European here, in the last 5 months or so I've received 4 EMS packages and one RSAL. I didn't ask for undervaluing and none of them got charged. Am I just really lucky or should I expect the same to happen in the future?
>>
>>6323988
you are lucky and the guys in the customs office are so lazy that don't care about small packages,
here in south america is the exact same thing, in all my years buying stuff only 4 times customs has checked what's inside, and of those 4 only once they charged me taxes
>>
>>6317144
Because asking this thread is somehow any different than asking DHL

Like... they're the same thing and get the same results, only this had the added bonus of triggering you into a spergy fit
>>
>>6316475
Sorry mate, maybe u should try the Dhl cheapest service, I mean dhl have their own custom agents, hope u can find a solution, but 'till today I have recieve 5 huge boxes from Mandarake with EMS and no problem, and as I said for other hand even buying with Amazon, have the chance to get screwed paying fees, never ever ask for free shipping, 2 statues buyed in Amiami have been stoped for custom services and have to paid 30-40€ each one, regards.
>>
DHL is a joke. I'll take EMS over them every single time.
>>
File: 20170516_150951-1.jpg (1MB, 2720x1838px) Image search: [Google]
20170516_150951-1.jpg
1MB, 2720x1838px
i can confirm that what >>6308965 >>6311683 said works perfectly, in my case the package arrived in 6 days using EMS
>>
File: dhl.png (21KB, 702x428px) Image search: [Google]
dhl.png
21KB, 702x428px
th-thanks DHL
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.