[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BJD/Asian Doll Thread: "Crafting and Customizing" Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 74

File: 23385435434.jpg (108KB, 1023x681px) Image search: [Google]
23385435434.jpg
108KB, 1023x681px
Last thread >>6259433

FAQs:
/toy/ - bjd.buyfags.moe
/jp/ - dollfaq.buyfags.moe

Doll news and company list:
>http://bjdcollectasy.com/
>http://bjdcollectasy.com/companies-other-links/

WIP Database/Height comparison:
>dollection.fi

Doll magazine scans (patterns!):
>plus.google.com/112174196208952755265/photos

Common sealants for faceups (there are more, but these are most frequently used):
>Mr. Super Clear Flat/Matte (UV-cut is preferred)
>Testor’s Dullcote (tends to get dirty easily)
>Citadel Purity Seal
>Zoukeimura Finishing Powder (it’s a spray by Volks)
>Liquitex Matte Medium (airbrush)

The general population of /bjd/ are anti-recast or are pretty much neutral on the subject.
Stop beating the dead horse every thread by asking.

Our threads are mostly dedicated to Ball-jointed dolls and other dolls in the Asian market.

Thunderbolt Fantasy is puppets. Not BJDs.
>>
File: 15470991585_24ab3efa26_o.jpg (304KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
15470991585_24ab3efa26_o.jpg
304KB, 900x600px
Recap of last thread:

>Doll stands
The clear ones with floating arms seem to be pretty flimsy, especially for bigger dolls.

>Sicktress/Miro muscle body
Gets better, still not good; the one from b-yp-nk is sadly still too much of a WIP

>Boyviscera vs Pintsizedpalace copy drama
"I can see it, they both look like shit"

>Painting DD nails
Sealant, thinned acrylic paint, gloss.
If you are afraid to stain your girl with dark colors, gloss the nails and seal them again before starting to paint them.

>Removing face-ups on tan skin
Same like other skintones, just needs longer to get a clean head.

>Sealants that won't chip
Don't exist. Some people had luck with mod podge though, just let it dry properly (several weeks).

>Coconut Oil to remove frosting
Apparently okay for removing sanding marks on tan dolls, but please don't rub it on a face-up...better don't rub it on your doll at all.

>Same old Kayke drama
Releasing yet another broken handed, goblin faced doll

>Enamel paint?
Stains, smells like shit, hard to remove, likes to eat other paints. Better stick to acrylics.

>Shoe sadness
We really need more options

>Helping out Dearmine anon
Dearmine is cool, dolls are good quality, face-ups are true to the pictures.

>Where to get custom eyes?
If you can't find an independent artist on etsy, try Enchanted Eyes

>Meet-Ups?
People take pictures, talk about dolls, sell stuff, gossip.

>BJD eyes
One anon wrote up a lot of information about the different eye types. Can be found in the v2 guide (see bottom).

>MSC troubles despite correct weather
Make sure the nozzle is clean, warm up can in bowl of warm water before spraying.

>Clothes on etsy
Most stuff is from Taobao or shitty crochet, shirt and leggings bullshit :(

One anon wrote up a new /toy/ BJD v2 guide (shortening links is unfortunately not allowed):
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1grB6HlGb8DHzvNp0_dtJePXvazwUNW0bsfVN2Svzl0g/edit
>>
File: tumblr_mdt2rsw28e1r5l40co1_.jpg (251KB, 600x482px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mdt2rsw28e1r5l40co1_.jpg
251KB, 600x482px
You guys got anything on the table?
Something you'd love to try/see done once?
>>
>>6304545
Nothing bjd on the table other than the usual deciding/saving money/waiting for a nice limited fullset, but now that you bring it up, a centipede girl doll would be really neat.
>>
Okay so I just saw that Kayke is actually casting her newest abomination herself. She's taking preorders on it despite never having cast anything herself before. She's doing a 2-month production time estimate (though her turn-around on painting isnt even that fast lol) and she's actively trying to get pregnant in the meanwhile??
>>
File: tumblr_op3ghckxHb1rascg6o3_540.jpg (153KB, 528x1210px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_op3ghckxHb1rascg6o3_540.jpg
153KB, 528x1210px
>>6304539
>Enchanted Eyes
If that means Enchanted Doll Eyes, the ones who do decent resin ones, anything 10mm and below will probably be low detail and not worth the cost.

>>6304545
I am working on face ups and some mods. Pretty fun.
And I just finished a layaway so I'm pretty excited for that to come home.

>>6305016
Of course she is.
Speaking of, though. I actually really like the idea of the broach, doll head and two nice hands bordering it. Like that'd be super cute for BJD owners to have and possibly recognise one another in public.
But god I would not want that tacky looking one and if I make one myself I would just be accused of copying. Sigh.
>>
>>6305016
Wait what? I thought that by "artist cast" she meant "cast by Legrand doll" (or whoever it is that corrects her jointing and prints her dolls).
Because manipulating casting stuff while pregnant is a big no-no, as it is highly toxic. All the doll makers / faceup artists we have over here (FR) that got pregnant had to go in a 1 year hiatus at least (even some sculpting materials or MSC were considered off limits).
>>
>>6305668
Doll head brooches have been done since forever (I think I have seen some made by Asella & Co for some convention forever ago), same for hand brooches, so assembling the two is not rocket science.

I fucking hate the "copying" police in this hobby, that completely inhibits innovation (not taking the recast / blatant copycat thing into account) There's a fuckton of ideas that are under exploited because one person "did it first" so everyone is banned from using it forever. Even if you thought about it before, or did it yourself / in another way, people are going to rip you to shreds (like someone getting angry messages because she was making eyes with sparkly things inside and Ersa Flora did it first? WTH)
>>
>>6305668
If you fully want to use the benefits of urethane that's correct. They work and look best in bigger sizes, at least 14mm.

If you just need customs at all, ED can still do it. Some people don't do it for the depth but “I need a black sclera, with cat pupils, two colored blue/pink iris and gold shimmer“. There aren't a lot of custom eye makers unfortunately.
>>
>>6304545
I'm going to try to make custom Soom hooves. Trying to find a way to make them still fit properly but be distinct enough that it isn't just a straight recast/copy type issue. Carved sides and glitter filled is my plan. I tried to google if anyone's done it before but have only turned up the DaisyDayes type full leg replacement hooves.
>>
>>6305668
Yeah Enchanted Doll (the Russian one, not the eye maker you mentioned) has been doing doll parts jewelry for a long time so don't worry about being accused of copying by Kayke. Personally I prefer the real metal ones ED did, the little hand was super elegant looking.
>>
It really bothers me that the thumbs are facing away from the face in this. Like I get it, the arms are crossed but with them cropped at the wrist like that it made me do a double take. At first glance it reads that she put the thumbs on the wrong side of the hand.
>>
>>6306419
Meant as a reply to >>6305668
>>
>>6305016
Shouldn't she focus on making only one gremlin at a time?
>>
I have a pretty stupid question, but what hair/wig sprays are safe to use on our dolls? For both anti-frizz or controlling stray hairs, and actually styling that won't affect the faceup and resin.
Thanks fampai.
>>
File: il_570xN.1186815499_m41v.jpg (84KB, 570x684px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.1186815499_m41v.jpg
84KB, 570x684px
Hey guys, what are your thoughts on SHeyes as urethanes? I never hear about them, but they're all over Etsy and Ebay.

Pic related as I bought them on a whim.
>>
>>6307057
What is your wig made out of?
>>
>>6304545
I've been looking at collectors I really admire, and I love how a lot of them have collections that are really cohesive looking all together but at the same time each doll has a really strong individual theme/'look'. I really want my collection to work together like that, anyone else know what I mean? Trying to decide on a look for my Nabarro Har atm.

>>6306243
Custom hooves is a really cool idea. How much of the leg are you going to try and make?
>>
>>6306243
Peapod Doll (not sure if they still exist) made hooves that fit Volks and Soom tinies, and mermaid tails and some other parts too.
As long as you completely sculpt them yourself nobody will cry recast, because even if you try to sculpt them with a reference photo of Soom hooves yours will not look 100% the same.

>>6307166
I have a pair here, they are...okay?
Some of the better self-made eyes, very reflective and shiny. However, you can already see it on his picture, there's no guarantee your two eyes will perfectly match each other.
>>
File: 35436873138.jpg (137KB, 849x569px) Image search: [Google]
35436873138.jpg
137KB, 849x569px
>>6307495
I always wanted this too and personally never felt like I achieved that, because the theme I have for my dolls is very restricting. However, a while ago I had to put them all next to each other for cleaning their cabinets, and I was pretty amazed how they look together while each of them is very different.

As long as your dolls aren't all the same face with all the same boring style (i.e. ten MNFs all with Andreja lookalike face-ups and simple casual clothes from etsy) everything is possible.
Different, together well working companies*, styles that reflect their character (if they have one), posing them properly on pictures, letting them look like you know what you are doing and doing things on purpose helps to get across that "cohesive together, yet individual" feeling.
Your own taste will make it look cohesive, because you tend to gravitate to certain things anyway. The individual part is the one you need to do on purpose and with putting thought into it.

At least that's how I feel when I look at other people's collections who fit that theme. Their dolls are unmistakenly theirs, and things just make "sense" when you look a little deeper. The way they dress them up, photograph them, certain accessoires.
It does work easier though when your dolls have a character or background. If I had none, I just made them one for styling purposes.

*I know that can be hard when you pretty much like company X the most, just try to search what fits your vision best and avoid to default for company X just because they released a new doll and you have a slot to fill.
>>
File: BP Oil Spill Fairy.png (780KB, 692x658px) Image search: [Google]
BP Oil Spill Fairy.png
780KB, 692x658px
Soom wtf are you doing?
>>
>>6307683

it doesn't matter, people will buy it and that's all that soom cares about
>>
File: IMG_2400.png (154KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2400.png
154KB, 750x1334px
>>6305699
I don't think Legrand casts their own dolls either, they use a Russian caster who does it dirt cheap.

But Kayla specifically said she will be doing this herself.
>>
File: IMG_4126.PNG.jpg (217KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4126.PNG.jpg
217KB, 900x1200px
>>6307548
True, they're definitely not perfect. But damn, if it's not hard to find black eyes with slit pupils. Oddly specific market. I'm surprised they exist at all.

Doll tax, sorry for the filter barf!
>>
Have y'all done a custom tailoring order from Freedom Teller? There's this outfit I've been meaning to realize and all the clothing I'll need are in different sets they have. I read a few threads back that it's possible to go that route, which seems better than buying a fullset suit + pants/etc.
>>
>>6307832
Oh wow, let me grab my popcorn for this one then. I'm curious to see how she will manage a 2 months production time on an unknown number of dolls, with small ass details, without professional equipment (pressure pot & vacuum chamber) and turn a profit while not living with third world country wages.
>>
File: kaykes doin it.png (279KB, 784x544px) Image search: [Google]
kaykes doin it.png
279KB, 784x544px
>>6307962
I was browsing her tumblr out of curiosity (been out of the loop a while) and it seemed like she may be taking advantage of a friend that can help her with it equipment-wise. It's going to be interesting to watch, yeah.
>>
>>6307954
I only bought custom colors and custom sizes from them (i.e. outfits/pieces in sizes or colors they don't openly offer on their page).
I am not sure if they allow you to combine several pieces from different sets to one set.
>>
>>6307991
Thanks anon! Dang, well it doesn't hurt to ask them, huh. At the very least you're allowed to buy sets in difference colors and that's pretty neat.
>>
>>6306243

>custom soom hooves

Fuck yeah im down for that! Are you making them for the old body? I would love a sturdy pair of hooves for my old soom body.
>>
>>6307683
I think it looks cool...always been a sucker for pearlescent glittery shit on a black background. Seriously thinking about getting her and doing some kind of fantasy/SF concept (heck, even your filename kind of gives me ideas...) but the Bartbie-size scale kind of throws me.
>>
File: 17120497240_7ab498c971.jpg (85KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
17120497240_7ab498c971.jpg
85KB, 500x500px
>>6307495
>>6307548
>>6308270
Well what I'm planning isn't as ambitious as you all seem to think honestly. I have a Soom Shale and I want to replace literally just the actual hoof piece. Not the whole leg or anything. Not my pic but you can see the clear 'nail' of the hoof is a separate piece almost like a plug, that's all I'm planning to do. Which is why I'm mildly worried about recast issue, because its going to come out near identical to the original anyway, just with some more detail on the bottom and in a clearer shiny resin with glitter or something inside. It fits pretty precisely into the cup under the feathers and I'm not planning to sculpt my own version of that at all, cus there's no way I'd be able to color match that with how much the ankle rubs.
>>
>>6308931
I guess you could document your progress on it just in case someone goes into accusatory mode, keeping the originals to show side-by-side comparisons of.

But then again, there's that Pidgin Doll versus Fairyland ordeal where even progress photos aren't enough. Still, I love your idea.
>>
File: SD-F-48.jpg (253KB, 757x662px) Image search: [Google]
SD-F-48.jpg
253KB, 757x662px
Volks achieved China-tier asymmetry. How did they not notice and fix the sculpt?
>>
>>6310773
pretty sure its supposed to look like its smirking since the asymmetry is only with the lips
>>
File: f48.jpg (203KB, 580x611px) Image search: [Google]
f48.jpg
203KB, 580x611px
>>6310773
nothing derpy about that face when painted. i think it just looks weird in volks' pics. every owner pic i've seen there is nothing off about it.
>>
>>6310950
The left eye is way bigger than the right one, and the right one is higher.
The whole head leans and curves down to the left.
Definitely wonky, but normal for Volks.
>>
What do you guys think of nerdydollgirls Mirodoll drama, that she bitched and moaned about, in 2 different groups, 5 different times?

Mirodoll was obviously on the wrong here, and she should have agreed to refund about $30 from the start, but she asked for much more money than she deserved back and she got it.

Her shitty excuse was that she would need the extra money to pay for a new faceup, because that is how much the artists that she likes (more expensive artists) cost. It felt insincere and dodgy.

When she basically asked how much she could squeeze out of Mirodoll, people told her that she should ask back the value for the missing eyes and wrong faceup, but she baawwed at the replies, saying that she is poor and that people can't put themselves in her shoes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDx6pYK0w_8&t=297s
>>
>>6310773
Volks has always had a lot of asymmetry. They insist it looks more realistic that way. It's never bothered me.
>>
>>6310987
Love the barely readable comments from people who complain their 100$ doll isn't perfect and shipped out after two weeks.
Pay nothing, expect premium.

She also looks exactly like I imagined before clicking the link.
>>
>>6304539
the stitching on those cuffs, though. how do people go about creating scale stitches? even with the thinnest thread i have, i can't get them that close together, and the fabric weave is too loose anyway. what's the material? rayon? 1000 thread-count bedsheets? is it stitched with embroidery floss?
>>
>>6308931
Honestly, as long as you don't sell it I doubt there will be any drama.
You make an own part, sculpted yourself, to match an existing part of your doll. Even if you would sell it you plan to make that part from scratch. All good, just sad you don't plan to make full hooves for others to use.
>>
>>6307981
>is going to teach me how to mold and cast
>I have no experience doing this, preorder it plz
>>
>>6311599
this reeks of disaster
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (80KB, 1862x1238px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
80KB, 1862x1238px
>>6310773

Important thing is she looks good with a good faceup. Rinon's asymmetry is much, much harder to notice when she's not blank.
>>
>>6311599
>wait, the casts you get out are not 100% finished? I need to sand stuff?!
>lol no

Kayke is way too lazy to put in all the work of casting and finishing a doll. There's a reason she went the 3D route after already being annoyed of working at Coffee for longer than necessary.
>>
I can't believe I'm asking but
are there any shop recommendations for the kinda of floofy big skirted full sets with like 80 layers of lace n stuff? I'm so used to buying modern clothes that I have no idea where to go. Large MSD/small sd size?
>>
>>6312721
Are you looking for formal stuff (ballgowns), period (ex: 18th century France) stuff, or lolita stuff?
>>
>>6312743
Thinking more... Fantasy styled if possible? Definitely not Lolita or period
>>
>>6312721
Souldoll is worth a try when it should look a tad too much, they love to add a shitton of details here and there too.
Their outfits are always limited though.
Cheerydoll is a good choice too (their website sucks though). Atelier Soda doesn't seem to exist anymore.
AyuAna, clericbatm on etsy sometimes sells fitting stuff.
Rapunzel (snowrapunzel on Flickr) makes gorgeous ones too, but she seems to not be active there anymore. Natrume on etsy sometimes sells her stuff.

For male dolls I preferred Tous Les Garcons, sometimes Rocking Horse.

Taobao can be a good source, but you really need to dig around till you find something good and fitting.
I am out of town right now, so I cannot access my bookmarks, but in the v2 guide is a "List of Taobao BJD related shops".
Just follow the link in the recap at the top of this thread.
Amors sells nice outfits for example, "The Cat's Gift" had a few bigass lacy dresses but more of the wedding type.

Else, the really nice ones with great quality are made by hard to reach asian seamstresses and they tend to be expensive as fuck.
I usually only see those second-hand on DoA or for auction on Y!.
Like Cadenza/abenohiya, Klesis, MusRose or La petite Madeleine (Flickr).
That's an auction of a LPM dress for reference:
http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p549010915

Be prepared to shell out quite a bit more on such outfits than on casual clothes.
150-250$ is the norm for a full outfit, not counting those Cadenza and co. prices mentioned above.
>>
>>6312797
Damn, saw your post too late.
Do you mean fantasy like in those "asian" outfits with a millions of layers?
Like:
http://www.angell-studio.com/62-female-costume-orchid_p1198.html

Have a hard time imagining big floofy skirted sets but without them being lolita, period or similar.
>>
>>6310987
She is a fucking bitch. When I first started out, one of the first videos that I saw was hers, and she had the same attitude, pretty much saying that if she finds the smallest mistake on an order, she would tear the seller up. Very aggressive.
I am glad that she posted her drama on DBJ Addicts, because now I know her profile and can block her.
>>
>>6312815
>>6312818

Thanks so much guys, big help.
I'm definitely looking to spend more because I know how much effort it'll be to make something.
I'm going shopping.
>>
In case you haven't seen it yet, Raouken has made her Minifee corset pattern available- for free at that.

>https://www.craftsy.com/profile/raouken
>>
>>6314142
No biggie anon, good luck shopping.
If you have a DoA account you can try snatching up some of those really expensive outfits there too.
>>
Anyone get their "Puppet Cat" from SIO2, yet? How's she look?
>>
>>6310987
She's basically a humongous bitch who ended up scamming mirodoll in the end. Nothing worth debating here. Even though I despise mirodoll through and through, what she did was also trashy and unacceptable.
>>
>>6310987
What a scammy POS. She forced a $50 refund for a $20 faceup on a $90 doll. Miro is shit for multiple reasons, but you only deserve a refund for absent or damaged goods, not coulda shoulda woulda reasons. Also, this is what happens when you buy from overseas companies with near zero profit margin, they literally can't afford to fix their mistakes.
>>
File: IMG_2446.png (608KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2446.png
608KB, 750x1334px
>>
>>6315205

Perfect for my Australian Aboriginal build
>>
>>6315205
holy shit, any retarded fuck can make bank in the bjd world? I need to have my 4 year old start molding heads and bodies asap
>>
>>6315205
>>6315254
One day I'll buy a vacuum chamber and start my own bjd company. But first, I guess I should actually sculpt a doll that people would want to buy. Some day.
>>
>My channel is dedicated to all things Nerdy, Geeky, Dolls, Books, Box openings and more!

OT, but all these "geek" or "nerd" channels run by slow women with no apparent geek interests are so embarrassing. Nobody is fooled, except other basic hos.
>>
>>6315245
JFC don't insult Indigenous Aussies like that
That sculpt is... terribly embarrassing
>>
>>6314907
I saw some for sale on the FB groups already, looks pretty much like on the pics.
Cute, but small, with shit joints.
>>
File: smile.jpg (22KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
smile.jpg
22KB, 250x250px
>>6305668
any pics of that doll fully clothed? i hate to say it, but i sort of like it...
>>
>>6315853
I kinda like it in its own way, but I haven't seen any pics of her clothed. Kayke's probably got to make or find some that will fit first, which kind of makes me iffy about it (meaning it may be harder to find clothes for it). But then again, it's a little early-ish to tell, even though Kayke loves to jump on getting those preorder bux.
>>
>>6315054
>>6314953

Curious as to why Mirodoll is so shit? I know that their quality and sculpting is…cheap and basic, to put it simply, but just curious to know if they've done anything terrible to people?
>>
>>6316026
Next to shit/basic sculpting and overall quality everything with them is just...mediocre.
Customer service, the way they execute custom wishes, packing dolls, organizing bigger orders and so on.

You can be lucky and get your stuff well packed, fast and incl. everything you ordered with minimal issues in quality (i.e. good resin).
However, you can also get only half your order, spent weeks trying to get ahold of them, get a badly packed and thus cracked doll and a lazily executed custom job (like skintone matching with a piece you sent them that doesn't match your piece at all).
Add the lackluster look of their dolls, meh resin quality, bad posing, bad stringing, bad sizes (they aren't even good sewing slaves for other sizes).

You truly, absolutely get what you pay for with them.
It also doesn't feel anything special to get one of their dolls, because they put in the absolute minimum with everything.
Like, if BJD collecting was steak eating, Mirodoll would be the cheapest shit steak you can find just to fill your stomach, because your taste buds are barely existing and you just need to eat.
>>
>>6316230
Adding: They don't only sell dolls but also shoes, materials and co.; we had some local grouporders and not once did those fuckers manage to sent a correct, complete order out.
Getting a refund/the correct things was always a hassle, and that's just not worth it for so much cheap stuff.
>>
From the comments of that video. Crap buyer, crap seller, honestly.

>oh wow! im just tuning into this but i have had problems with them too. i ordered a doll the 10th of feb i knew it would be a week or two because of the death in the family but when they got back they wouldnt send him they said they were making a new doll to send. finally because i had to open a case through pay pal a week or two into april i got him and he was broken his leg had a chunk missing out of it it wasnt in the bag or box so i believe they broke him and sent him off anyway. im still waiting on his legs they said they would ship out.
>>
File: tumblr_opcu28bYUu1rascg6o3_1280.jpg (590KB, 2044x1624px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_opcu28bYUu1rascg6o3_1280.jpg
590KB, 2044x1624px
>>6315853
Happy to oblige. But yes, eat that bullet.
>>
>>6316026

As someone who owns one of their bodies, I actually had really good luck when I got it April of last year. I got it for a DIM Flowne head and the resin matches just about perfectly, no bad spots or broken parts on it or anything like that. Stood up right out of the box too. Didn't need much communication with them, but my stuff showed up on time and everything I ordered with it was there with zero issues (even got a free little keychain doll thing with it). I had fantastic luck with them, which is why it's really surprising now that they're having so many issues. With everything going on though, I'd recommend NOT ordering from them right now. They really just need to stop taking new orders at the moment and catch up on their current ones without rushing it.

I'm still a newbie compared to most so I can't tell you a lot on the posing compared to other dolls, but I've had hit and miss luck with it. It's hard to get the arms to get a lot of pose-ability, but part of it might be me needing to tighten the strings since it's been about a year and I can tell when she stands now they've gotten looser. It doesn't hold a pose as well as my Resinsoul but for a cheap body it's not bad. I got it on sale for like $65 so all things considered it wasn't a bad deal, plus being new I didn't want to ruin a expensive hybrid body. Again though, besides Resinsoul this is the only company body I've worked with so this is a total newb review. There's probably way better companies out there that'd be better to go for.

>>6310987

I've tried to get through two of her videos and I just can't fucking do it. Her attitude is awful. I can totally understand being on a budget and wanting to get what you paid for, but there's such a thing as overkilling it and coming off as a major bitch in the process. I dunno what kind of custom faceup she was expecting from a cheaper company when she could have either just added on to the company standard faceup or gone with a faceup artist.
>>
File: yumemiru-rrk.jpg (75KB, 800x740px) Image search: [Google]
yumemiru-rrk.jpg
75KB, 800x740px
I really like Petworks line of Momoko/Ruruko dolls, as well as the articulation on Pure Neemo bodies, but I'm not a fan of buying something so pricey for my first doll. Can anyone rec me other/similar brands that might be cheaper and more accessible?
>>
>>6317018
If Pure Neemos are already to pricey for you I fear the only thing that is left is customizing a small Obitsu yourself...or get a Monster High.

Sometimes you can get PNs for less on Mandarake, but they still tend to be 100$ with shipping at least.
Their clothes cost money too.
Better re-think if you really wanna buy a doll or give us a clear budget to work with.
>>
>>6317047
Obitsu might be a good option, especially since its more customizable. I was thinking less than $100 as a budget, also MH dolls kinda freak me out with their huge heads.
>>
>>6317001
The rotten thing is she says she's poor, but she has 2 DDs, 2 Minifees, a Smart Doll, a Soul Doll, a Tonner goth doll, 2 60cm Chinese vinyls, a fuggo reborn, and even more. At least $3k in recent dolls. And she spent more than an hour whining on YT over a $20 faceup and getting the wrong freebie gift head. FFS.
>>
File: il_570xN.1175797654_5tuw.jpg (45KB, 570x858px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.1175797654_5tuw.jpg
45KB, 570x858px
So today I decided I would start being interested in dolls

I googled pic related but I couldnt find her anywhere? Where can I buy her?

Alternatively where can I buy a model with white eyes, white skin and black hair
>>
Where can I buy custom dolls
>>
>>6317083

that's probably someone's doll that they customized and isn't for sale.
>>
File: 27600624253_6d6f1e5f6b_b.jpg (203KB, 683x1024px) Image search: [Google]
27600624253_6d6f1e5f6b_b.jpg
203KB, 683x1024px
>>6317057
Less than 100$ is a really, really tight budget.
Even if you go for the customized Obitsu option, since you still need to pay for crafting materials (or commissioning someone), dressing the doll and so on.
For 150$ you can get a full-set Pure Neemo fresh from the store without lifting a finger.
The aesthetic you like is unfortunately not offered for cheap since (unlike mass-produced US doll lines) those tend to be limited and for adult collectors.

>>6317083
The doll is owned by AyuAna (they are two cousins), here is the source:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ayuana/33030514694/in/album-72157660504836697/
The doll in question is a Dollmore Bella Auden:
http://dollmore.net/shop/step1.php?number=1630

The doll is customized by them/other artists to fit their vision and cannot be bought like that, see below for more.
>>
File: tumblr_mzo3bvlpUD1rbz7tbo2.jpg (265KB, 857x1280px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mzo3bvlpUD1rbz7tbo2.jpg
265KB, 857x1280px
>>6317083
>>6317101
BJDs work differently than other doll collecting communities because we don't exactly do this whole "finished customs for sale" thing.
Reasons below:

1): people who buy BJDs do so to customize them to their liking, often with the idea of representing an OC.
They don't buy them already finished because the whole fun is to customize a blank slate into your vision and/or because it's very unlikely to find a doll that already looks like your OC.
Among fashion dolls it's more common to buy/offer finished customs because the actual "collecting" urge is stronger.
I honestly wouldn't call most BJD owners collectors because most of them don't really collect by definition.

2): Most BJDs are just painted.
Unlike MHs, Tonner and co. you do not need to remove some ugly paintjob/print and then do some magic on the face.
Unlike Blythe you do not need to carve the fuck out of the face till it goes from flat alien to something with depth (since Blythe face-ups are usually very bland, it's all in the carving).
You usually just need to paint BJDs, the rest is already there. No re-roots, carving etc.

3): BJDs are very expensive, and the margin you can make as an artist is usually small.
You can get some Blythe for 150$ and sell it for 1000$, but the nice looking BJDs that sell well are already close to 600-800$.
Add a) and b), and barely anyone will risk buying a super expensive doll, customizing it and not getting it sold.

In short:
BJDs are intended as blank dolls, finished by you.
Company full-sets are either for photos only or sold in limited quantities.
Companies do offer at least to buy the face painted on already.
Most dolls you will see are customized by their owners/artists they commissioned to customize their doll; they are not for sale like that anywhere.
The most you can get is someone selling their doll with a face-up already on the face, but you still need to dress it, buy a wig, eyes etc. yourself.
>>
File: tumblr_mz4x8bsX2N1qahlwho1.jpg (147KB, 1175x887px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mz4x8bsX2N1qahlwho1.jpg
147KB, 1175x887px
>>6317173
Thinking about this, will add that to the 2.0 guide, might be helpful for others to understand why the available "custom BJDs" are so small.
>>
>>6317173
>>6317165
thanks friend
>>
>>6317173
>>6317165
where do I find doll artists?
>>
Do you draw a rough sketch of the doll you want before you buy stuff or what? How do you prepare? Or is it trial and error?
>>
anime is absolutely annihilating the BJD community
>>
>>6317223
some people use those animu paperdoll games (if anyone has any recommendations, that'd be nice)
>>
>>6317232
http://www.rinmarugames.com/playgame.php?game_link=mega-fantasy-avatar-creator
http://www.rinmarugames.com/playgame.php?game_link=spooky-doll-creator
>>
File: 15682951382_88655f130d_o.jpg (498KB, 893x595px) Image search: [Google]
15682951382_88655f130d_o.jpg
498KB, 893x595px
>>6317220
As in, the ones who sculpt and sell the dolls, or the ones who customize them and offer their skills?

If it's the first one, you really should read the guides. The 2.0 (linked at the end of the recap) answers pretty much anything you need to know; it's long but after reading it a lot of stuff will be more clear.

The second, that's a little more difficult.
Flickr, Tumblr, Instagram and forums are the best place to find other collectors and thus artists too.
Sadly the good ones often don't offer commissions or are constantly booked.

>>6317223
I have a very set image of the characters I want to "shell", so I usually just look/wait for a doll that I can think can be customized the best to fit that envisioned look.

If you are not the type for, hm, imagination without a guide, I can highly recommend those mentioned doll maker games other anon linked.
Else look on Flickr and co. for other BJD pictures for inspiration, or human ones too.
>>
>>6317267
thanks
>>
File: 34251510975_3fc3b9e799_c.jpg (237KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
34251510975_3fc3b9e799_c.jpg
237KB, 600x800px
what's the appeal of these dolls? they look like disney character dolls
>>
File: disgusting.png (25KB, 169x240px) Image search: [Google]
disgusting.png
25KB, 169x240px
>>6317500
>>
>>6317500
they're for people with no taste
>>
File: 34251514575_a55f9ae2f8_c.jpg (201KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
34251514575_a55f9ae2f8_c.jpg
201KB, 600x800px
>>6317500

it's pastel fairy kei mom, you wouldn't understand
>>
>>6317500
Fresh out of a 2007 American made Manga in the setting of "Rebellious Teens" who love Japan.
>>
>>6317500
I dislike them, but absolutely see the appeal. They look like cartoon characters, and I can't think of another doll brand that captures that look.
>>
>>6317500
>they look like disney character dolls
There's the appeal.
>>
>>6317500

why do people ask questions like this? I've never once seen a well sculpted doll with an aesthetic I don't like and though 'wow that's ugly, I need to go ask fans of that company how they can like something that ugly!'

Like I'm not even trying to be rude I just don't get the mentality behind questions like this. Are they trying to get others to convince them to like something they don't really want to like or are they wanting to hear why others hate the aesthetic like they do so they can feel justified about their personal taste.
>>
>>6317636

that company has no fans in this thread, judging by the responses. you seem very upset anon
>>
Guys, I have a question. Does anyone know any good brands of yarn in the UK for wigs, or places to buy?
>>
>>6317659

I'm not really upset it's just that sort 'justify why you like this!' Bullshit is kind of my pet peeve. It's totally pointless and it's a plague on /toy.

Also while I'm not a fan of those particular bjd they're well sculpted and have kind of a borderlands vibe to them. I see the appeal even if it isn't for me.
>>
>>6317500
Agreeing with the others, their appeal is that they are probably the only cartoonish, western dolls out there.
The rest is (somewhat) realistic or anime inspired.

I do think though that they could be painted a lot better and that some of the faces are goofy as fuck.
Also think something like Borderlands or pushing the whole comic/2D look would be cool.

At least Bishonenhouse started making something more unique that fills a hole that wasn't yet filled. Way better than his creepy regular dolls he did before.
>>
>>6317500
I only like the mohawk dude's face mold. I definitely won't style him like a faggot tho.
>>
>>6317500
My brother likes these, actually. I think he owns two or three of them. Anyway, one of the reasons he liked them is that it looks very Disney. The other main reason was that they're essentially giant action figures compared to other BJDs which are very much dolls.
>>
File: IMG_4902.jpg (154KB, 729x1095px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4902.jpg
154KB, 729x1095px
>>6317500
you sort of answered your own question, plenty of people love the Disney aesthetic (especially the specific Treasure Planet/Atlantis sci fi look Donn Kinney is going for.) They're pretty well made and the guy is friendly and interacts with his fans and customers regularly, which also helps. i enjoy them but not enough to buy one, but it's easy enough to see the appeal.
>>
>>6317956
Are those feet on the wrong legs???
>>
>>6315205
I guess this is for the australian market where their children look like this, might be hard to sell outside of the niche audience of aussies who are collectors unfortunately
>>
File: Vince_white wig_webl.jpg (58KB, 402x600px) Image search: [Google]
Vince_white wig_webl.jpg
58KB, 402x600px
>>6317508
Damn poor Nails. He looks awful in the pastel shit.

I like the sculptor's style. His collection is definitely a breath of fresh air amongst the sea of semi-realistic and baby faced dolls. Vince, Mira and Nails are my favs. However, I do think they'll look much better with professional paint jobs.
>>
>>6318101
I'm guessing that (since the feet look to be in a different stage of completion than the rest of the body) it might be to make sure the joints are correctly sized or something? Or he just fucked up lol.

>>6318140
I agree, they remind me of some of the Laika stop motion characters. The paint jobs are ok, but it would be interesting to see what an ambitious artist could do with it.
>>
>>6305016
I dont cast dolls but resin artist here and lol what? Shes going to have a horrific time with bubbles unless she dropped a ton of $$$ on a pressure pot
>>
>>6318776
See >>6307981
>>
>>6316860
Fuck. Kayke always finds the cutest clothes for her abominations. I love that one on the left.

>>6317018
I don't like the articulation on the PN bodies. The wrists are swivel only and when I bend the arms or legs a peg sticks out. I bought one to hybrid with another doll and was pretty disappointed. I would say go with an Obitsu body.
Every now and then you can find J-Dolls at Tuesday Morning (a store in Burgerland) but I'm not sure if you prefer soft vinyl with decal eyes. J-Dolls are ABS and have acrylic eyes. The anime eyed Obitsu dolls are cute in person but don't photograph very well.

Keep an eye out on Mandarake. It's not a site that needs a middleman and all of the used stuff I have bought have been in fantastic shape.

>>6317059
She's probably poor because she can't manage her money well. I've been there, but it was my own fault. Sad part is that if she does fall far enough down the rabbit hole and needs to sell them, she's probably not going to get much back.

>>6317659
I like the company (Donn's pretty cool to meet) but they're just not my aesthetic, like everyone else is saying. Honestly, I think that deviation he's made is pretty clever.

>>6318776
Yeah, my guess is she will be using this guy's equipment, but doing the gruntwork herself. If she goes the route of doing everything herself, it would result in a slew of new problems because we all know how lazy she is.
>>
>>6318890
>I don't like the articulation on the PN bodies
they've presented new ones recently with articulate wrists and torso and new knee joints etc., might be worth waiting until they're sold freely before getting one (Obitsu has a new 24 cm body too with a much more pleasant shape)
>>
only faggots in the BJD facebook groups, I'll stick to this general
>>
>>6318957

there's faggots in this general too
>>
>>6318970
I wish I screenshotted it but there was a cunt who posted her doll in one of those groups with the following caption - Survivor. Artist. Feminist.

then i left
>>
>>6317059
I'm sorry for the late reply, but wait WHAT?! That just blows my mind, I had no idea that that was what her collection was. That makes so little sense. At least with her not wanting to deal with Mirodoll anymore they won't have to deal with her shit either. If anything this also red flags her to any faceup artists that she'll be way too difficult to work with.

>>6317500
Not my cup of tea, but I can see the appeal for those who want less anime-looking dolls but still like a cartoonish style to them.

>>6318957
BJD Addicts is really good sometimes and bit too much at other times, but that's the only facebook one I can say anything on though. I've had really good help on questions there before so there's some good knowledgeable people in there.
>>
Man, it is much harder to wait when you have the money ready. I might just gamble and cave in before the next dearmine event if it's not real soon.
>>
>>6318957
Yeah, the only BJD community I fuck with is my local comm. They're all cool doll loving grannies.
>>
>>6318957
Facebook is the place for people who cannot/don't want to deal with authority (i.e. mods) or rules, got probably banned from the proper communities, are too stupid to use a forum, too lazy to make an account somewhere else, too old/stupid to handle anything that is more complicated than Facebook, not interested in crearing something proper because it's a just a fast moving dumping place etc.
Considering that everyone and their mom has an account there and that it's so easy to use even a braindead person can post pictures, it just combines the worst things to kill any chance of a proper, well-mannered community providing good content.

(Most of that applies to this place here too, except that 4chan is too obscure for most people/mostly younger collectors post here/we don't aim for a real community anyway)
>>
>>6319448

I always wonder how many of us here have been in the hobby for a good few years...? In response to you I'd say I'm 'young' (I'm 22), I've been in the hobby over five years and enjoy the atmosphere over here rather than on tumblr, etc.
>>
>>6319479

i've been into BJDs for 7 years now, i mostly stick to this thread too
>>
>>6319485
I'm 21 and have been in the hobby for almost 10 years now, mainly on here, DoA, insta and tumblr.
I'm in the FB groups but.. don't really look or post unless it's sales.
>>
>>6319485
>>6319513

I really miss the old Deviantart community, it was creative and friendly and more people actually built up and shared stuff rather than just dumping shit to get likes. Yeah, I just use FB groups for selling/buying stuff as well.
>>
>>6319524
Man, I forgot about deviantart. Those were the days.
>>
>>6319485
>>6319513

11 years here, 25. The hobby has been a continuous cesspool of shit polluting my life for a fucking long time
>>
>>6319630

if it that's bad for you, why don't you try to leave the hobby?
>>
>>6319630
You should take a break. If the community is bothering you, don't interact with the community. I've been in the hobby since 2006 and I've never really mingled with the community. I know of some of the lolcows and drama, but I don't really care to interact with people when all we have in common is a bizarre love of giant dolls.
>>
>>6319326
>BJD Addicts
lmao thats the one i left
>>
>>6318890
I was PN anon, thanks for all the tips & info. Mandarake is good for used, so I've been keeping an eye out. I do usually prefer decal eyes, which is why the PN's were a draw for me but Obitsu seems to have decal options as well so it's looking like the wiser choice.
>>
>>6319686
Perhaps I'm being a little dramatic but that's what I do now. I hardly interact with the community. I'd really love to be involved, like have some doll friends. But every time it seems to go awful like horrendously bad.
For example, the first bjd friend I met irl was Kazakai. Later I was threatened by Catrina of Dollfair. Then I ended up befriending Ryuichi Sakuma, I was stalked by a male dollfie Dream collector who showed up at my residence unannounced. Ive also met Kittyblue (who is by far the most normal on this list) I met another DD collector after moving to another goddamn country and that was also awful.
All I wanted was doll friends and this is what it comes to. I also strongly believe that the bjd community is not the place for young teens. It's dangerous. Maybe it's different if the kids are enjoying with a parent but....
>>
>>6307166
SHeyes anon; eyes arrived much quicker than anticipated! They aren't perfectly symmetrical but eh. $30-ish urethanes. Whatever. They look good in the doll they're intended for, and they fit in his eyewells. The irises do run large, though, for anyone who considers buying from them. He looks like he's wearing 16mms and not 14mms.

Good mail day, Dollmore boots arrived almost two weeks early. So close to completing the doll.

Anyone else have things on the verge of coming together?
>>
>>6317500
These are actually pretty cool, but it looks like the creator dropped off the face of the earth a year ago? Does he not create dolls anymore? I'd be into the mohawk guy
>>
>>6317956
I genuinely love this one. Not a fan of the boys but oh my god I love her expressions and sculpted hair.
>>
Please for the love of god tell me someone else here belongs to the #bjds public Kik chat? There's an honest to god 'ghosts live in my doll' person in there and I think I'm going to lose it.
>>
Man, all this talk about how shitty most communities seem to be is making me anxious. I'm moving to another country and I fucking love the local community I'll be leaving behind. I can only hope there are some cool people where I'm going.
>>
>>6318890
>I love that one on the left.
Tell me about it. I want it for one of my dolls.
It's like she almost convinces you she has taste, then you see the dolls she makes and you know its a fluke.

>>6319479
I'm, 24 i think (i don't really care all that much about my age.), been in the hobby since '11, so about 6 years.
I don't really like any place, cept this one coz it's honest and full of bullshit. Delish.
>>
>>6319915
>public Kik chat
why would you even go there
>>
>>6319479
Am only 26, have been in the hobby since 2008, so nine years now.

I was super active in the past pretty much everywhere, but I more or less stopped posting my dolls and instead started helping out people more and more/just post my commission work.
Granted my own dolls have suffered through me being swamped with commissions all the time, which is also why I post them less.
The community in my country sucks balls, which is why I lost pretty much interest in posting to our local forum...and most of my local doll friends are also busy with real life and/or live too far away for regular meets.

I'm pretty active on Instagram nowadays.
DoA I'm active too, mostly help out newbies there though.
Semi-active on Tumblr, I try to stay away from discussions and don't really interact with people (if I do, it's to help out again); mostly use it as a dumping place for my customs/commissions.
Once in a while post a pic on Flickr, totally stay away from FB.
Usually just answer questions and post helpful shit here too.

Don't know what it is, I just like to help people?!

>>6319524
I left DevArt because while I loved the BJD guys there, and started my BJD hobby through it, I just couldn't stand the non-BJD people.
On Flickr everyone is kinda connected through their love for photography, on DevArt you have this huge mess of different artists crammed in one space. Up to eleven when that "artist" is a 14 year old weeb constantly bothering you if you'd gift them your doll.

>>6319838
Anon, it might sound mean but you totally seem to lack ah, uh, "crazy people radar" and seem to be drawn towards a certain kind of people who usually turn out be dicks/lunatics.
Probably because you started young and just wanted a friend, but man...nobody has that much bad luck.
>>
>>6320269
Cus I was already on kik and thought it would produce some quality cringe. I was correct. It's half people with good taste and nice dolls and half poorfags who keep trying to get people to help them justify buying recasts. And then some weird fucker with haunted Puppetmaster toys.

Like not even actual bjds. They are legitimately Puppetmaster Blade plushies.
>>
File: xFPIeq3U3l0.jpg (38KB, 510x340px) Image search: [Google]
xFPIeq3U3l0.jpg
38KB, 510x340px
>>6319479
I'm fucking old by /cgl/'s standards (31), but when you young'uns get this age, it's not so bad. I've been in the hobby since 2004. Pretty much all the other platforms are too hugboxy for me, so I enjoy coming on /toy/ a lot. Oddly enough, we seem to have the least amount of drama despite the stigma surrounding 4chan in general.

>>6319858
I actually really like your doll. Reminds me of one I've been working on. I dig those boots.

>>6319890
Pretty sure he got behind on orders due to bad weather (he does the casting himself) and is catching up. I haven't seen him post on his tumblr in a while.

>>6320283
>Don't know what it is, I just like to help people?!
Same, Anon. I'm pretty sure you're me, but on a different timeline (except not so active on DoA anymore)
>>
File: 100D3100.jpg (69KB, 912x632px) Image search: [Google]
100D3100.jpg
69KB, 912x632px
Anyone here own one of the Cuarto Mobius? Fell in love after stumbling on it the other day. They look really neat and I'd love to see some with faceups. How do he rubber stoppers in the segments work? What size eyes are they?
>>
>>6320283
>"crazy people radar"

I mean, living in Ohio doesn't help.
I do have a couple doll friends who more or less have quit the hobby but are still friends. It's like most people grew up and went on and stopped with dolls. I'm really trying to think of who, locally, I've met who wasn't too bad. I have one acquaintance who seems mostly just interested in selling things to doll people and seems normal enough. The most recent people I know locally include a girl who introduced herself and then told me her parents didnt want her to come because they're afraid she'll kill herself if she's alone, and she's like in her 30s. I noped out of that meetup. I also recently left a chicago-area meet when a girl there started talking about how her and her mom were getting a gay yaoi boy pair (one each) so they could have buttsecks and her mom's doll was going to be the seme.
I even introduced an IRL friend to dolls. She started buying them and we were inseparable for months with our dolls and shit. she went totally bonkers. We went to a doll meetup (her idea, she drove) and in the distance she saw someone she thought she knew, and I'm holding our dolls and turn around and she is actually hiding in the bushes I was taking photos in because she didn't want anyone to see her with dolls.
>>
>>6320588
What the hell is it with Ohio and the hobbyists here being weird?

Is this all northern Ohio? I have honestly had only good experiences in the southern half of the state.

Of course, it could be that I'm a crazy one and I don't know it.
>>
>>6320588
>Ohio
Well there's your problem.

I know what you mean though. I live in Portland and have been to a few meet ups with different groups and it feels like everyone is one extreme or the other. Each meet I've done has either been a screaming weeb yaoi fest, a way too serious discussion of the personality, backstory, and meaning behind everyone's dolls personas, or weirdly enough a way way too chill day that felt like a normie hangout where everyone happened to have a doll in their purse, like zero doll discussion just lunch and shopping. I just want a photo buddy with an average level of geek/weeb maybe.
>>
>>6320588
>>6320674
>>6320682
stop bullying ohio you penises :(
>>
>>6320511
>Same, Anon. I'm pretty sure you're me, but on a different timeline (except not so active on DoA anymore)

Ha, might be!
I always did that in every hobby I participated in, but BJDs is especially bad.

I think I just like to make sure newbies have a good start into the hobby. There are too many people talking bullshit, having no clue what they talk about but still think they need to contribute etc.; recasts just made it worse.
If I can write a few posts or guides and help some people, then why not?

The newest crops of newbies are worse than ever though, sadly.
>>
>>6320511
Much appreciated! Dollmore sells them and has them in a few other colors. They're pretty nice quality. I wish there were a no tip option, though.
>>
>>6320801
I really wish we could start a "doll senpai" movement like the lolita big sister thing. Prob jump me into being more active too, seeing someone new be so excited about the hobby.
>>
>>6320881
Could always start it right here. Be the first. I only just bought my first doll, so I'm sure I have dozens and dozens of questions that I haven't even thought of yet, for example.
>>
File: hell is real and its ohio.jpg (17KB, 450x249px) Image search: [Google]
hell is real and its ohio.jpg
17KB, 450x249px
>>6320588
>Ohio
>>
>>6320881
Didn't DoA try this? I like the idea in general though-- I had a couple people who effectively took me under their wing when I got started and it was a lot more fun than just being on my own and they tolerated my stupid newb questions.

They also gave me a heads up about people to avoid in the hobby too, for which I was thankful.
>>
>>6319838
>I also strongly believe that the bjd community is not the place for young teens. It's dangerous. Maybe it's different if the kids are enjoying with a parent but....

I think it unfortunately became almost as bad as furries for attracting people with severe sexual issues, predatory manipulative people, and tons of grownups with zero boundaries who would send porn to a 13 year old and brag about it in public.
>>
>>6321289
I swear this has become every niche hobby in the past few years. Even drawing has this problem these days. Drawing isn't even a niche hobby! I know tumblr is the boogeyman for all sorts of problems, but I really, truly blame the hugbox, no shame, be friends with everyone uwu attitude for spreading this social AIDS around.
>>
>>6320892
Sure, why not. What would be the best way, Skype?
>>
>>6321410
NAYRT but how about Discord?
>>
>>6321452
+1

Better built for communicating to groups of people.
>>
>>6321452
I do have a Discord account so that can work, but i honestly have no idea how to work it beyond the main bjd chat so please help me.

>i am from the AIM/MSN era pls no bully
>>
>>6321452
Discord is much better than Skype, down with Skype.
>>
>>6321494
How do you mean, anon?

You just need to create a server (It's the (+) icon under the list of existing servers you're a part of), create channels within the server to suit whatever purpose you have for it, and invite people to join.

That's basically it.
>>
>>6321289
>I think it unfortunately became almost as bad as furries for attracting people with severe sexual issues, predatory manipulative people, and tons of grownups with zero boundaries who would send porn to a 13 year old and brag about it in public.

>>6321402
>I swear this has become every niche hobby in the past few years.

This has been a problem since before the past few years. First poster isn't wrong. I was once sexually assaulted? at a Den of Demons meetup. I was the youngest there-- 14?- amidst 18-30 year olds. Right in front of people, someone lifted my skirt and tried to feel me up in the guise of a joke. And people laughed so I thought it was funny and never said anything about it to anyone. And not one of the fucking adults there told this grown ass woman it wasn't fucking funny. This is pre-tumblr, at a meetup for what was supposed to be the 'more sane' of the community.
>>
>>6321683

>someone lifted my skirt and tried to feel me up
>grown ass woman

Thats just fucking weird.
>>
>>6321494
Hello fellow old anon! Unfortunately Discord baffles me. And Amino. How the hell do you even use that?
>>
>>6321838
Do NOT use Amino. It attracts every kind of horrible little 13 year old you can imagine. If you thought tumblr was bad, you don't know shit. There's a reason /cgl/ can have constant Amino cringe threads. The supply is endless.

Discord is very straightforward. What exactly are you having issues with?
>>
>>6322032
Mostly just server setup and adding bots at this point. I'm running a (small) Steven Universe group and I'm... just generally a little lost. It took me two days to figure out setting up a NSFW board because I'm apparently dumber than a brick.

I am noticing the 13-year-olds on Amino, though. Regret. I was hoping it wouldn't completely suck.
>>
>>6322165
I'm sure there are multiple anons in the thread who wouldn't mind running the Discord if you're having issues. I don't think we really need any bots, though. I use Discord for some MMOs that I play. There are some Discord servers that are open to everyone playing the game, and even those don't have bots. Just a channel called rules that no one can post in except the admin.
>>
So I'm using From Japan to get some clothes for my newest doll, and I misread the time that the auction closed. I went to the listing and it had ended, but no one bid. Does anyone know if From Japan will ask sellers questions for you? I want to ask them if they will relist, since I don't know if they will or not.
>>
File: winter-event-1.jpg (25KB, 523x545px) Image search: [Google]
winter-event-1.jpg
25KB, 523x545px
T so sad FW a recast Luts head is so poorly sculpted to start with, it's indistinguishable from some random crap from ACBJD or MoC.

>>6321683

I'm sorry that happened. 1990's teenage counterculture was full of that sort of regrettable bullshit, weeaboo hell was birthed from there. I dunno when it will finally die out, I have no idea how any adult can be so stunted.
>>
>>6322814

Weebs are always the worst acting people at a meet up hands down. Meeting my local weaboos through the doll hobby was what finally converted me into an anime was a mistake believer. Welk, that and interacting with the societal rejects who use sankaku complex as a valid news source.
>>
>>6321683
While DoD was a pretty comfy community in the end it definitely was full of cringy, weird people in the beginning. You need a special kind of person to devote a whole forum just for wank/drama, even if lots of those people posted there deserved to be ridiculed.
>>
>>6320532
What the hell, this is awesome. I haven't heard of it before, but Cuarto also made a cool quadruped dragon, right?

Rubber stoppers are in the joints of my SD Hujoo girl and they work fantastically (she's ABS, but about as heavy as resin, so I imagine it works similarly in resin --- like a KIPS disc on steroids.) I don't know why rubber in between joints isn't more standard in BJDs.
>>
>>6323728
I assume it works like the ones Dollshe uses.
He adds those little silicone nubs into the sockets and it works just like sueding would.

Cuarto actually teasered a big dragon a while ago, but the price was something along the line of 1500$ if I remember correctly.
Mind you, with big I mean "still to small for an MSD to ride on". It's still a pretty small dragon.
>>
>>6323763
>He adds those little silicone nubs into the sockets and it works just like sueding would.
silicone in joints = KIPS, which a number of companies have (Volks started it, I think Switch also has them, and Dollshe as you said, and a number of others.) I have put them in a couple of my dolls but the big chunky rubber is even better.
>>
File: IslanddollSilicone.jpg (231KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
IslanddollSilicone.jpg
231KB, 750x500px
>>6323781
>silicone in joints = KIPS
Not really.
Drilling in holes and glueing in individual nubs into the sockets is definitely not the same like those rubber rings Volks adds. At least the ones on my SD10 guy just get stuck all the time or stick out all akwardly when posed, since they are not glued into the socket but just stuck onto the strings. The ones Dollshe does are pleasantly hidden and work better too, and as far as I know Volks only offers Kips as extra service, or do they nowadays all come with them?

Islanddoll glues in a full silicone cover, which is apparently also pretty good (snatched that pic from a DoA box opening, don't have one myself).
>>
>>6323794
>and as far as I know Volks only offers Kips as extra service, or do they nowadays all come with them?

Just checked, at least Volks USA says "most" come with them now pre-installed.
They still aren't on the same level like the Dollshe system now.
Wish Iple would have added those nubs to their dolls by now, the big Dollshe dudes can pose so much better compared to an EID guy.
>>
>>6323794
>>6323798
Oh i didn't know that, you're right, those do look a lot more advanced than the simple discs that Volks/Switch uses.
>>
>>6323798
Fuck! That joint looks sexy. I can't wait for my Dollshe.
Also to add to the topic, I personally find KIPS to be utterly useless.
>>
>>6323798
Ok, so I've never handled (or had much interest in desu) Dollshe dolls, someone explain to me the function of the lower crotch hole.
>>
>>6323991
I know some dolls have them so you can string the legs across (i.e. let the strings go from left hip to right leg instead of straight down).
The newer Iple are strung that way, god knows why.

Else...no clue.
>>
How much money have you invested in doll stuff so far?
>>
>>6324644
hahaha I don't count when it comes to BJDs.

I have at least $4000 in other dolls though, and I have like 12 or 13 BJDs incl some LE DDs.
>>
>>6324654
How much did you spend on your favorite?
>>
Guys I'm shocked to the moon. Wtf I placed my dollshe erica order on April 13 and today I got a shipment notif. What the absolute hell is going on? I was expecting atleast a six month wait.
>>
>>6324838
Only you ordered one.
>>
>>6324726
I paid just about $1000 for a Mariko-Student Vers
>>
>>6324956
huh, interesting... It makes sense but I expected more people might have ordered the female body.
>>
File: 12.gif (2MB, 500x269px) Image search: [Google]
12.gif
2MB, 500x269px
>>6324644
A LOT. Funny store about dolls and money.

>Dating new guy
>He's actually really cool about the doll thing and supports the hobby
>"Anon, I'm gonna buy you a doll for your birthday!"
>mfw he sees the prices
>>
File: IMG_3322.jpg (1MB, 1326x2365px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3322.jpg
1MB, 1326x2365px
>>6325106
Yeah, I like lurking these threads because I think the dolls are really pretty, but as soon as I started looking into actually getting one I accepted I'll never have one. They're still nice to look at, though.
>>
>>6324838
The ones with the crazy wait times are usually a) the ones he just showed as prototype and b) for some reason the old 18M (i.e. Hound and co.).
He's a dirty perfectionist, so prototypes are often far away from finished and he works and works again on them. No clue why the old guys seem to suffer from those bad delays too, there are done and he has done their silicone molds a million times already.

He also has a lot of cancelled orders, might be that you got someone elses order.

>>6324644
No clue.
I have friends who actually have Excel sheets with every doll related purchase they ever made (from full dolls to eyes, customizing etc.).

I think I am already way past the 5000$.
Not even buying that many dolls, but my EID guy was nearly 1000$ blank.
On top he has clothes worth the same, two custom angora wigs worth nearly 300$ etc., most of my dolls are equally spoiled.
>>
>>6324644
owning 8 of them 2 SD Venitu & feeple moe hybrid,1 IpleHouse jid Amy MSD,1 Volks MDD,2 Yo SD AOD aiai & kiki pop and 2 Little monica muse's,5 being 2nd hand and including the stuff to make or get them clothes roughly $1,236-1,300. ive honestly have gotten lucky on the deals i was given and 1 was generously given to me since the previous owner was too scared to handle such a tiny resin lady.
>>
>>6325420
Post kiki
>>
File: 05110013-01_20170513132607820.jpg (88KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
05110013-01_20170513132607820.jpg
88KB, 800x600px
>>6324644
I've never counted before, but quickly estimating now, I'd say around $4000 on dolls/doll parts and another $4000 on everything else (accessories, apparel, faceups, maintenance).
>>
>>6324644
I'm at about $3500 for just the nude doll and aesthetic work.
>>
File: 32102858936_5049390247_o.jpg (177KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
32102858936_5049390247_o.jpg
177KB, 533x800px
>>6325321
>I think I am already way past the 5000$.

Thought about my post a little longer.
If I average every full doll/head/body I ever bought at 450$ blank, which is a little low for some and a little high for others (but probably still a realistic average overall), I end up at...18000$.
Not counting outfits, wigs, props, eyes, shoes, shipping, customs.

I've been in the hobby since 2008, so it's not...that much, I guess?
If I had kept every doll/head I ever bought I would be at 43 dolls, which is something some people reach after three years. I have friends with 100+ at home that have been at it for less years.
Still very crazy to think about, could have bought a new car from that.
>>
>>6326145

i have a question, i'm not being judgmental but i'm just curious. do you ever feel guilty about spending so much on your dolls? i would love to have a BJD, and i think i'll buy one eventually, it's just the price and spending so much money makes me feel guilt. silly i know
>>
>>6326151
It depends on how much money you earn and what your spending priorities are.

If buying a new car is more important than buying BJDs to you, who can argue? It is your money.
>>
File: 52453486734.jpg (132KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
52453486734.jpg
132KB, 1024x682px
>>6326151
Short answer: No.

Long answer:
I watched my father working himself nearly to death because he always hoped one day he would come out at the top, while he had no hobbies and never time for himself.
He now is very sick and has lots of time he doesn't know how to fill, and he never got rich either because it's not like hard working is all you need to achieve that.
I don't want to repeat that, even if it means I have less financial income.
I don't need much for myself, don't aspire to do/own the usual stuff (hate kids, got no interest in owning a huge house or fast car, most luxury products I don't care for etc.).
I just want a stable life and being able to buy something nice for myself once in a while. Later maybe some travelling.

My dolls make me happy.
It's most of the time very relaxing, I can be creative, I am not hurting anybody, I can do it all on my own. I found friends through it, expanded other hobbies I had before through it (like photography). Dolls don't need constant attention, I don't have to feel guilty when they are trapped in their cabinets for months.
It's like gaming, just less passive...and more expensive.
However, lots of my hobby expenses I was able to cover through working in the hobby (i.e. offering commissions); that helped a lot to keep the actual costs low and keep my regular job money for life expenses.

Honestly, if you can afford it and it makes you happy, go for it.
You won't live forever and there are honestly worse things you can spend your money on.
Unless you are risking your state of living (like not being able to cover rent/food) or other living beings (be it your children or a pet), have debt/emergencies you should cover first, have a shared household and could not cover your part anymore; that's never cool.
>>
>>6326176

i'm sorry about your dad anon, i truly hope he gets better :( but thank you for explaining view on it
>>
File: tumblr_mtqxmaiVAh1rhw5p9o1_.png (312KB, 556x370px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mtqxmaiVAh1rhw5p9o1_.png
312KB, 556x370px
>>6326180
No problem, anon, and thanks. He's a tough guy, just too stubborn for his own good.

Just sat down someday and asked myself "all that, and for what cost?".
I know I'll never be rich, at least not without giving up other things (like time, health, happiness, social life), so I just aim for a comfy middle ground.
The dolls are my only real luxury, and I get lots of it back, it's fun and not harming anybody...so why not?
Not having any kids really does help though.
>>
I look at the cost of bjds this way:

How many people out there think absolutely nothing of going to a salon for a $75 nail or hair treatment 3-4 times a month? It's a fucking LOT. There are tons of women who could buy a new Feeple every other month with just what they spend on dye jobs and plastic nails.
>>
>>6326460

Also other passive hobbies like gaming are just as expensive if your really into it and play all the new releases. Videogames are now 40 to 60 bucks a pop. For five or six videogames you could buy a nice bjd and it's not like most bjd collectors have a ton of dolls either. Most max out at 10 to 15 over a period of years.
>>
File: tumblr_mi5e50yvxq1rlzb7co1_.jpg (95KB, 640x425px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mi5e50yvxq1rlzb7co1_.jpg
95KB, 640x425px
>>6326460
On one hand people mock BJD owners for looking all like fat slobs, on the other...well, we post stuff like this.
Some people just prefer to treat themselves and their body, other prefer buying dolls.

I do agree though, it's usually just deciding what kind of luxury is the one you want to indulge in the most.
BJDs are just different to most because it tends to be one big batch of money at once, which often hurts more then spending a little here and there.

>>6326479
Man, the "I could have bought so much doll stuff" thoughts when I finally got myself a proper gaming PC.
Generally gaming is a lot less cheaper though, even if you regularly buy new releases. Smart game purchasing is definitely way cheaper than dolls.
>>
>>6326460
Shit, you can even have the best of both worlds if you just know how to budget properly. I love taking care of myself and buying designer bags, and I also love dolls (well, obviously). I don't need a new purse every month and I don't need a new doll every month, though.

Things like hair/nails are affordable with most budgets. I don't know what salon you're going to, but a mani/pedi should not cost $75. I pay $50 for my mani/pedi combo and that's on the more expensive side. You can easily find salons that do it for $30. Take care of your nails and you shouldn't need to go 3-4 times a month. For an even bigger money saver, do your own nails. You just pay whatever the nail polish costs. Same applies to hair.

Honestly I don't know why it's so hard for people to budget this stuff out. The concept of saving up for something you REALLY want instead of blowing your paycheck the second you get it seems foreign and even offensive to most people in this hobby/attempting to be in this hobby.
>>
This is like asking if somebody feels guilty for spending 20k on a new car, or 200k on a new house, or anything in life really.
>>
File: tumblr_mras4ak1el1rfkphwo1.jpg (164KB, 425x640px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mras4ak1el1rfkphwo1.jpg
164KB, 425x640px
>>6326569
>The concept of saving up for something you REALLY want instead of blowing your paycheck the
>second you get it seems foreign and even offensive to most people in this hobby/attempting to be in this hobby

Not to mention that some just have NO feeling how much money they actually spend.
Everyone who's in the hobby and whines how they can't afford X should maybe realize they could, if they just budget differently and not just blow everything on dolls.
People who truly cannot afford a "cheap" luxury like mani/pedi once in a while definitely have other worries than dolls, namely shit like food or rent.
If you can afford dolls, you can afford a lot of other stuff too. You just might not be able to afford everything at the same time.
It's silly to say "well buy less X, then you can afford dolls", when to most collectors it's automatically "How should I ever afford X?!" whenever you mention a purchase that is not dolls.

Like, I often joke how "poor" I am, because I can't travel around, buy all kinds of neat stuff, eat out all the time; the stuff regular, non poor people use their money for.
Truth is I have a room full of crazily expensive dolls. I'm fucking priviliged to even have this hobby or any hobby at all.
Just decided my priority was this hobby, and everything else (not counting necessities) comes second. No need to bash others for having different priorities.

Adding:
I think it's mostly a "well I could buy <totally useful thing or at least deemed normal by society> or <this totally silly luxury thing that is deemed crazy by society on top>" situation though.
The money isn't even the issue for most people, it's how they are wired/feared to be judged by others.
Paying 400$ for a smartphone seems normal because so many do it and it is useful, but for most a doll is not worth that money and they have to fear to be mocked on top.
To some 50$ is normal to get your nails made, for others that's just crazy because they don't see the point.
>>
>>6326633
>Like, I often joke how "poor" I am
Oh I'm the same.
If we're being very technical, I live in my countries poverty bracket. I've only ever been over seas once, in high school with a french class excursion and that took a year of family saving for that to happen. I eat out like once a month because that's all I can afford.
But yeah, my bedroom contains the most expensive things in the house; my dolls, my PC, my games. That's it.
I used to cosplay, but that hobby was another expense I couldn't afford to maintain with everything else. So it's like... sacrifice.
I also don't yet have my grail doll because real life expenses come up. Sacrifice.

Personally, I sometimes jokingly define "poor" as whether or not you can afford the dentist.
Which I can not.
>>
>>6326523

>pc gaming

Well yeah with steam sales every 5 seconds that's pretty cheap but if youre a console scrub games are significantly more expensive.
>>
>>6327193
I can already see next thread's recap
>poor anon prefers buying dolls than going to the dentist
>>
>>6328069
Dental care is crazy expensive. A lot of dental work isn't covered by insurance and a lot of the problems aren't just hygiene related. Some people just have bad teeth.
>>
>>6328069
>>6328265

I have decent teeth, but when I fell on my face and snapped one of my front teeth in half, and I was only in high school, so i struggled to pay for my crown out of pocket. Instead of buying dolls. I'm not an idiot.
One crown is like 2k. as >>6328265 dental care is super expensive. But my teeth are quite nice otherwise.
I meant more, if you can afford checkups every few weeks, braces, etc etc.
>>
>>6328452
I don't know anyone who gets checkups "every few weeks."
>>
>>6328452
>>6328265

My boyfriend has bad teeth and just had a filling break. With no insurance. I wanted to offer to pay for it to be replaced and they quoted me $800 for a check up and 1 resin filling cash up front needed (it's in a lower front tooth) and I was like nvm I guess?
>>
>>6328265

This is true. After an intestinal surgery the medication I had to take pretty much ruined my teeth. I'm extremely lucky in that I have dental insurance and the dentist I go to is nice enough to finance procedures but I know lots of people who just can't afford to have anything done to their teeth doll hobby or no.
>>
>>6328265
God damn dentist costs. It's not even necessarily just the high price, but that you can't get a definitive price quote ahead of time, and it could jump at any time, and they will split the work across multiple appointments just to make as much money as possible. A filling or extraction would take at least 3 minimum $100 appointments, plus a $100 x-ray at the "affordable" clinic where I used to live, and that $400 minimum did not even include the cost of tooth extraction/filling. If I'd shat out a bastard welfare babby, though, the co-pay would have been a whopping $3 per appointment.
>>
>>6328591
My mothers diabetes pretty much destroyed her teeth over a handful of years and we spent so much money trying to save as many of her natural teeth as possible, only to have them break a few months later.

Dentists aren't exactly known for being cheap or accessible for people who aren't white collar and above
>>
>>6323991
Late, but--
I think in this case it's so the legs can have more freedom, if that makes sense. Sometimes a solid crotch area can hinder certain poses, and Mr. Dollshe is all about posing. I wish I could post an example of what I'm talking about. I guess you could think of it like the dumb "dab" pose, but with legs. Or uh.. that stupid Seinfeld meme pose on the couch.

>>6324644
Too much. I have a couple of dolls worth more than my shit car.

>>6324838
Yeah, the old "TOTALLY NOT MAKING MORE OF THESE" dolls are the ones that take forever. Some of the other new ones have had delays, but I think his newer ones are a priority.

>>6326151
Not really. At first I kind of thought of them as investment material (back when I got into the hobby 2004ish) but now I realize that it's not the same, I bought them to play with. It's kinda cathartic to change their clothes and styles. As long as you can afford the necessities to live and don't making bad purchasing decisions, it's a-okay. I'm a lot like >>6326195

>>6327193
>Personally, I sometimes jokingly define "poor" as whether or not you can afford the dentist.
>Which I can not.
iktf. The last time I went to my dentist, he wanted $6k for new crowns for me. I haven't been back. That's... just too much. I have bad genes from my dad's side. I think most of my older siblings have dentures now.
>>
File: img_whatever.png (56KB, 207x150px) Image search: [Google]
img_whatever.png
56KB, 207x150px
This popped up in my recommended feed and after watching it, I promptly felt the desire to punch myself in the eyes.

What do you define as recast "neutral"? Not hoping to start a debate, hoping to get some proper damn definitions down.
>>
>>6329889
As someone who used to say they were, my definition was that I would encourage people to go legit when possible but ultimately not care whether or not someone bought a recast instead. Neutral is you don't encourage or support it, but you don't condemn people for going that route either as far as I understood. Or at the very most, neutral could have been someone who might otherwise prefer an almost always buy legit except for some very particular circumstances.

Admittedly, the only reason I'm not calling myself anti-recast now, even though my stance has evolved to be less tolerant than before, I am still slightly turned off by how some people act towards every person who owns a recast regardless of circumstance (ie got it as a gift or has since gone legit).

Which is personally why the pro-artist label is more to my liking, even though it's essentially the same thing in theory.

What does the video say Recast Neutral is?
>>
>>6329892
Basically the same thing. But my issue comes when she admits to taking recast commissions, which, for me, pushes her to "recast friendly". Or is that not a term people use anymore because she doesn't mention it in her video once.

For me, neutral means no interaction either way with the extreme. Which would mean not to take commission on them because that influences the increase of the market.
>>
>>6329889
>What do you define as recast "neutral"?

Casting your own replacement parts, recasting copies for your own use, recasting bits for art projects, recasting as a learning step towards mastering the skillset.

Really, any transformative, educational or non-commercial use of recast parts is fine. The issues only start when people sell and buy them as straight up replacement for the real thing.
>>
File: IMG_3673.jpg (263KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3673.jpg
263KB, 1080x1080px
Owned a smart doll when they were new on the market and sold it a year later when I got my first DD. But big dollies are such a weak point for me, would totally love a Trinity. I wonder how much this big Mirai will cost.
>>
>>6329907
When I was formerly neutral, I would have argued "no interaction either way with the extreme" is kinda ridiculous and not feasible. You can't exactly measure how much all people are for or against recasts.

Again, I'm no longer recast friendly and will not work on them, but if I were neutral, part of that being neutral would be not to deny people services just because they have a recast. Neutral because I don't exactly approve, but I don't want to treat you differently.

And I dunno man, I don't think you can really claim the availability of recast friendly services = people buy more recasts. Pro-recast people would provide those services regardless of if recast neutral folk did or not.
>>
>>6315830
Hate to sound retarded, but, well, what FB groups? I'm not very familiar with the hobby.
>>
>>6329972
His Mirai is cute to me.

But too bad he only sells super casual clothes.
He should also try to do costumey kawaii shit.
>>
>>6329892
Honestly, neutral just sounds like "I don't buy them myself, else everything is cool to me".
Which, in itself, is of course not as bad as buying them yourself, but it's still providing a comfy community for recast people to be in and recasters to sell to.
Especially if you offer commissions to them, otherwise treat them like respectable members of the community etc.

Most people who claim to be neutral are either a) doormats or b) "I try to pull a Switzerland" people.
The doormat type are the spineless ones who always argue about how everyone deserves a nice hobby, how they don't want to judge people or hurt someones precious feelings, how they want to be friendly and include everyone. They are afraid of confrontation, "hurting" someone; those are the type of people you could spit in the face and they would still find a reason why that was probably okay. They are afraid to come across as "mean".
The Switzerland people are the ones who just completely pull themselves out of the whole situation, because they are most likely not really part of the community anyway.

>I am still slightly turned off by how some people act towards every person who owns a recast >regardless of circumstance (ie got it as a gift or has since gone legit).

At least on Tumblr, where you see most of the discussion, most pro-artist people are firmly supporting people who got one on accident and have no desire to get another.
Same for people who were former owners and try to make a honest, fresh start.
However, it's an easy excuse and sometimes it's hard to believe someone really got one by accident or truly believes what they did was wrong.
>>
i dont have a pic, but what happen with the bjd with frog face? i really like it.
can someone post that or something similar?
>>
>>6329973
>And I dunno man, I don't think you can really claim the availability of recast friendly services = people buy more recasts. Pro-recast people would provide those services regardless of if recast neutral folk did or not.

I definitely read posts from people (i.e. not anonymous commissions) who admitted that one reason they sold their recasts was to get properly into the community and have the same access to services like anyone else does.

If you think about it, pretty much all quality customizers are pro-artist and will not accept recasts.
The important communities/popular collectors tend to be too.
To some having a nice looking doll and/or be accepted is indeed very important, and with a recast that is way harder to achieve.
The recast community has mostly a) shit artists or b) barely mediocre ones.
f you are just a tiny bit better you are already a star among them.
Guess how Culur got so popular in the beginning? If she had not accepted and owned recasts nobody would have cared, but because she offered her shitty Andreja clone look for recast MNFs people latched onto her, because it was the best they could get.

If you don't care about your doll's look you will not mind being unable to commission the good customizers; if you don't care about any interaction with others you also don't need the community.
Sooner or later most people do start to care though.
If you keep on restricting access to everything and let them realize that they will never truly be part of the hobby they will change/think twice.
Of course some will never change, but those you can't help anyway.

I don't think people should bash recast owners, write hate mail or whatever.
Just let them firmly see and know that they have no place in the actual community, that their decision has consequences and try to educate people.
You can't save everyone, but it's worth it.
>>
>>6329889
If she comes out against recasts, that's at least half the web 2.0 social media cesspit scene, and probably 80% of yt viewers. Although honestly it's not worth sacrificing your dignity for videos that will sit on yt and not even rack up 1000 views in one year.
>>
>>6330119
yeah, she's the doormat type anon described >>6330074. Some people just claim to be neutral because they want every like and comment they can get, and the recast guys are easy to attract because they likewise take everything they can get.
>>
>>6329889

I used to call myself neutral but recently switched to pro artist to get tumblr people off my back. I don't buy recasts and don't support people who do but I can't be assed to lecture every recast owning person I come across on social media like people like Karla chan do. Im in the hobby to relax and have fun and I honestly wonder how rabid anti recast people have time to even enjoy the hobby when they're so busy wagering jihad on random recast owners.

I also wonder how effective anti recast lecturing really is when smart recast owners just buy one and enjoy it at home and never post it. That's why I think people who take the time to vet every single doll photo that crosses their dash are mental.
>>
File: 8094457751_c3dca37e73_z.jpg (139KB, 430x640px) Image search: [Google]
8094457751_c3dca37e73_z.jpg
139KB, 430x640px
>>6329889
I consider myself neutral on it only because I don't feel like being combative toward people that buy them. I understand that the people that buy those dolls-- whether by accident or on purpose-- have some kind of feelings and not all of them are malicious. I guess as you get older, participating in witch hunts (watching them is a little different :^) ) are tiring as fuck and in the end, the holier than thou attitude doesn't get you any fans.

>>6330074
I guess overall I'm Switzerland, but I've been active in the hobby for a very long time. Maybe a third option "Old and complacent toward an argument that gets old"?

>>6329972
Oh you know he's going to continue to get them bigger until it's RealDoll status since he's been flakey on the whole automated "dream" he's been going on.

>>6330075
I have a few in my folders, sec.
>>
File: 1431201160610.jpg (362KB, 930x1393px) Image search: [Google]
1431201160610.jpg
362KB, 930x1393px
>>6330249
This one's actually vinyl afaik
>>
File: bjds pepe.png (115KB, 346x392px) Image search: [Google]
bjds pepe.png
115KB, 346x392px
>>6330251
And then here's a former abomination an anon recolored into a Pepe.
>>
>>6330084
See this sorta leans in to why i believe you can't be neutral if you offer commission services to recast owners.

Neutral means having no interaction with either size of an argument.
Giving someone a service is enabling them to continue a practise.
Recast Friendly just seems like a more appropriate term for someone like that.

Whereas a neutral person who understand that there is an argument there and understands that taking commissions on recasts enables people to continue buying them. So they dont get involved by not providing the service. And they also dont get involved by not going on witch hunts or yelling at people who do own a recast.
Its the service that takes someone from recast Neutral to Friendly.
>>
>>6329972
That giant Mirai has a bunch of USB ports, but for what purpose? What exactly does it do?

I'd be more interested if it was /just/ the 1/2 doll. I'd love to own a Trinity too but if giant Mirai is cheaper then I might actually consider a smart doll.
>>
>>6329889
Fuck that attention whore and her bullshit neutral stance just to get money.
I loved her tantrum on instagram before she deleted everything. Even her beloved fans were coming after her bwahahahahaha

>>6330251
awwwww they're really cute.
>>
File: oh.png (429KB, 396x751px) Image search: [Google]
oh.png
429KB, 396x751px
I apologize for the garbage image quality but here is my Erica Snow. The camera doesn't do her THICCness any justice. She poses like a dream too! Now I understand why people say expensive BJDs are far superior. The quality is unlike anything I've ever seen in a doll.
>>
>>6330776

Always liked Erica's face but that body is a fugly disproportionate nightmare. Have fun trying to hide those nipples and the saggy granny ass.
>>
>>6331008

the face doesn't do it any favors
>>
>>6331019

You're right. Blank she looks like a blow up doll buy the right face up can save her. Nothing can save that body though.
>>
>>6329889
Who even is this?
>>
>>6331025
Painted she just looks like a really expensive fuck doll. Like Realdoll.
No matter what, she always has this staring, “fuckable mouth“ face (okay, doesn't help that I hate mouthbreather, but still).
>>
>>6331146

oh boy anon, you've never heard of swandzz/pintsizedpalace?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKJ1_NC2mUA
>>
>>6330715
I didn't get to see it before she deleted it, sad face. My friend did and told me about it, sounded beautiful.
>>
swans managed to fuck up even more guys. near the end of last video, says that its fine to just wear a surgical mask to spray sealant. admits she has been this whole time not using a mask. horrible advice that could actually damage peoples health. she is so dumb and she is giving people advice on shit she doesnt even know. idiots who gave her some dumb form of influence in this hobby this is what you get
>>
>>6331008
The titties look good but it's going to be one super slutty doll.
>>
>>6330251
Nice.
The multilayered kimonos look really good.
>>
>>6331289
If any retard actually takes her advice it's their own problem. It took me mere minutes to learn about toxicity of sealants when I joined the hobby just by doing an easy googling.
I don't understand the stupidity of so many people in this hobby where they need to be spoonfed through every single step. Even after Swandzz did a video on sealants people still ask her in the comments what other alternatives to MSC are there. Like wtf asshats do a simple research.

>>6331297
Finally, someone gets it. That's the whole reason I bought that resin hoe.
>>
Someone was going to start one, but they didn't get around to it, so here it is. Doll discord for those interested https://discord.gg/yAbmjJn
>>
>>6330251
yes this one, thank you!
>>
>>6331355
I collect dolls, just not BJDs. Is it okay if I still join?
>>
>>6330119
So does that mean when I eventually hit the "Recast" BJD Addict prompt I should pretend not to be pro-artist? I don't want to lose my handful of followers. /Sarcasm.
>>
>>6331550
It's weird, you either lose or gain a lot of followers by being pro-recast.
It's always a total gamble on what side people end up when they announce it. Some get crazily popular through it (like Culur), others bashed into the ground.
>>
>>6330776
>Now I understand why people say expensive BJDs are far superior.
Sadly, Volks's resin bodies leave far to be desired, but people still want to sell the SDGr bodies by themselves for $600+. Thankfully, that means their old SD13, etc. bodies are ridiculously cheap.
Soom bodies (at least the big ones) are improving, but still a little potato.
Dollshe is pretty solid, though. Even the old 18M Pure body I have is enjoyable to pose.
>>
>>6331195
>that fucking scarring tutorial
>>
File: fuck.png (358KB, 438x506px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.png
358KB, 438x506px
>>6331710
Sweet mother of kek. look how fucking purple those keloids are!

My favorite is when she fucked up an eye-opening mod so to "fix" it, she covered the opened eye mess with black paint and instead drew on the other eye. Top notch faceup service!
>>
File: wew.png (483KB, 604x803px) Image search: [Google]
wew.png
483KB, 604x803px
How does one mess up a sewing commission this bad?
>>
>>6331710
looks like Zouken's penis worms have found a new host
>>
>>6331883
I hope they didn't charge too much for that lol
>>
>>6331710
>>6331998
I literally thought this was a Fate penis worm mod when i saw it
>>
>>6331517
That's fine, its for chatting about dolls in general.
>>
>>6331883
She's friends with Pintsizedpalace isn't she? That would explain the lack of quality.
>>
>>6331851
This "style" reminds me of reading crummy comics where the artist would add 1000 sketchy lines and vague colors to every page to cover up their lack of ability to cleanly render an image.
>>
File: oh no.png (992KB, 1398x894px) Image search: [Google]
oh no.png
992KB, 1398x894px
Fuck me! I may have the worst taste in this hobby. For some reason, I fell in love with that Dollshe Khan mess.
Anyways, I went on Dollshe's site to place my Khan order and he marked EVERYTHING as sold out. WTF? Is he just updating the site?

>>6333243
For some reason, these sketchy messy styles look good in photography but in person, the faceups look really unflattering.
>>
>>6333406
They look good when done right.
Like Koala.Krash or MArlequeen, it looks artsy and like done on purpose.
Pintsized looks like “can't do better lol“.
>>
File: mqdefault.jpg (11KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault.jpg
11KB, 320x180px
Derka derka Allah jihad.
>>
File: 1361417200355.png (102KB, 200x298px) Image search: [Google]
1361417200355.png
102KB, 200x298px
>>6333550
please tell me there's more of this magnificent creature
>>
>>6328265
Go to Thailand.

Round trip ticket (from LAX) $800. 1-2 week hotel $250. 2 root canals, 2 99% gold crowns $1500. Total = less than it would cost in LAX + you get a free vacation.
>>
>>6334777

>getting dental work done in a third world country

If your that desperate you could save even more going to Mexico.
>>
File: o.png (1MB, 899x722px) Image search: [Google]
o.png
1MB, 899x722px
>>6333550
We need more hairy dolls to laugh at.
>>
>>6334865
If you are in Europe, Romania is actually a good choice. Cheaper than other EU countries with the same quality.
>>
>>6331883
Reminds me of VictoriaVictrix
>>
File: ophelia-e.jpg (628KB, 1523x634px) Image search: [Google]
ophelia-e.jpg
628KB, 1523x634px
i've seen people complaining about Kayke's faceups

can i get some pointers why? to me it like something better than i could do
>>
>>6335486
Its not that she can't do good work, of which that is an example. Its that she has a tendency to take on a lot of commissions, get overwhelmed, and then rush through and do sloppy crooked work. Her very artistic ones are usually pretty good cus she's actually interested in them and takes her time. The generic "Kayke style" ones she does are just slapped on pearl and black pastel with lopsided and unevenly painted features and gloppy lips.
>>
Apologies if this is a retarded question: can you mix pastels succesfully? The browns in my sets (volks' goth loli one and the basic one) are too light and layering with or without the sealant doesn't make it darker, and black is pure charcoal black that's too dark (and smears fucking everywhere too), how do I get me some fukken rich dark brown?
I could just buy a stick in the right color too I suppose, but I'm still curious.
>>
File: 16659750918_926c238746_o.jpg (284KB, 1024x495px) Image search: [Google]
16659750918_926c238746_o.jpg
284KB, 1024x495px
>>6335486
What >>6335513 said.
In the beginning she mostly had an issue with uneven eyebrows, but then she pretty much dropped the ball because she was overwhelmed and never knew when to stop.

She takes on more than she can swallow and then finishes like ten heads at once.
They are also all pretty much the same looking, because she just airbrushes them all together and then sloppily paints on some lines. Basically assembly line painting.
Those black dots for example are not beauty marks or whatever, they are splatters from the airbrush. You see that on pretty much every head from her with dark eyeshadow.
Her line work tends to be messy and crusty (pic related, dat crusty eyeliner) too.

If she would stick to tattoo work and would give herself some more time for every piece she'd be pretty good.
It's the same thing her dolls suffer from, she wants to do six million things at once and then gets overwhelmed and rushes through finishing it.
She does not have the patience to sit down and put in the time to properly finish something.
>>
File: tumblr_mmdof2tndD1r4x8evo1_.jpg (167KB, 426x640px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mmdof2tndD1r4x8evo1_.jpg
167KB, 426x640px
>>6335631
Yes, you can.
It works better the softer the pastels are, since they mix better then.
It might take a while till you have an evenly mixed, new color; so grind it pretty fine and keep on stirring and stirring.

>>6334884
Those fucking eyebrows, why?
>>
>>6335457
Fucking kek.
Isn't that Mercedes Lackey or some other fantasy author? Her dolls looked notoriously bad. She had a Resinsoul army.
>>
>>6335513
>>6335775
Thenks Senpais
I haven't noticed
>>
File: IMG_20170517_132318.jpg (19KB, 470x313px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170517_132318.jpg
19KB, 470x313px
Tfw early Parkinsons tier shakes so my faceups come out crooked sometimes
Endamame my life
>>
File: steamwitch masterpiece.png (1MB, 601x802px) Image search: [Google]
steamwitch masterpiece.png
1MB, 601x802px
I fucking hate SteamWitch.
>>
>>6336347

holyyy shit that's bad
>>
File: RIP.png (426KB, 606x601px) Image search: [Google]
RIP.png
426KB, 606x601px
>>6335789
>Those fucking eyebrows, why?
I know how you feel anon it makes me want to kill myself as well. It's some poor legit Unoa too. I'm not sure which sculpt because I don't care about Unoas.
>>
>>6336354
It's a Kyle or Zest, one of the Unoa Elder guys.
Poor dude.

>>6336347
And that was a DZ once. No clue what it is now. The red light version Edward Scissor Hands?
>>
>>6331851
psp's entire doll hobby is a fuck up. see the ear mod that she did? its with epoxy! so no fixing her fuck up. the plugs look like flesh headphones. WHY ARE THEY AGAINST THE SKIN LIKE THAT
https://www.instagram.com/p/BUTMrpogwk1/

her nimah head still looks crap. and those bee stung ears have pissed me off the whole time. https://www.instagram.com/p/BUWG2vagJMw/
>>
>>6336046
Yeah. Honestly she's a good enough person to talk to (if you can get past the stubbornness she's a very genuinely nice and helpful lady) but it's incredibly ironic that she used to push "you need to learn to sew!!!!" on DoA given that she knows shit all about sewing herself. I've handled several things she made and it's obvious she just flat out has no idea how to do certain things, like making a bodice that isn't just a tube or attaching trims. Hell her set of superhero dolls have home made spandex and her idea of sewing stretch fabric was to trace her dol like a gingerbread man shape and then do a super loose running stitch all the way around.
>>
File: yikes.png (236KB, 1272x974px) Image search: [Google]
yikes.png
236KB, 1272x974px
fucking christ. this girl is trying soooo hard to convince herself she doesn't have buyers' remorse on this thing lol
>>
>>6337559
This sounds like she's trying to warn others but is being held at gunpoint by Kayke to give a good review or something.
>>
File: ew.png (472KB, 634x596px) Image search: [Google]
ew.png
472KB, 634x596px
>>6336945
Watch her still try to sell the head for more than its original price.
She also edits the crap out of her photos. Go watch the ear mod video you can see the faceup is incredibly messy and the head is literally covered pastel smudge and dirt. Fucking gross!
>>
>>6337762
That's disgusting. Ruined.
>>
>>6337762
why is it attached to his head *cries* whos whole earlobes are attached to there heads. no ones thats who. theyre meant to be flip flopping around not stuck entirely to your head like a pair of flesh headphones
lol yeah knowing her she is going to try and sell it for more, even with these shitty arse ears
>>
File: cum tears.png (525KB, 608x794px) Image search: [Google]
cum tears.png
525KB, 608x794px
>cum tears
Great!
>>
>>6336204
Me too, Anon. I've given up on faceups now, since I got a dumb seizure disorder after bumping my head in a car accident and my motor skills are awful. I try to commission, but the people I want to commission are closed or booked.
>feelsbadman.jpg

>>6336354
Some people like hairy dudes. Not my preference, but I guess it's more reasonable than globs of glitter paint. It's not the best caterpillar eyebrows out there, but I guess props to them for trying something unconventional. At least it isn't Catdancer's pube flocking. That's the stuff of nightmares.
>>
>>6338045
that poor lucywen head. what a sad fate. lol it really does look like cum. so now we have psp fresh cumshot to the eye and culur's dried cum face doll.
>>
File: mqdefault.jpg (10KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault.jpg
10KB, 320x180px
>>6333797
https://www.youtubejoy.com/watch?v=F3K0GVZ7FKU

Belongs to a furry who can't even remember the sculpt names of some of her recasts. Why anybody OK with recasts would also buy a bobobie army is a mystery to me. Oh right, extremely bad taste.
>>
>>6338305
>I try to commission, but the people I want to commission are closed or booked.

I've been working off my waitlist for a while now, and afterwards plan to take some time for my own stuff.

I am still battling with myself whether to open up afterwards again.
I always feel bad when people write this, because I can see with my locals how much of a struggle it is to get quality stuff. Most skilled artists are closed for good, have dozens of people fight for one slot, take forever, only auction off slots or give them away to Patreon supporters/friends etc.; it's getting harder and harder to get a nice face-up on your doll.
Double that if you need anything "unusual" done (fuck, good airbrush work or well finished mods are a nightmare to find) or don't want to ship to Russia or China.

But having a shop is such a fucking hassle and lots of customers are dicks. The pay is shit, it's not good for your health, it eats up a lot of time, people seem to get more ridiculous throughout the years and so on.

Sorry for the blog post, but that line made me think again.
Still no clue what to do, but I cross my fingers you'll get a slot for your doll(s).
>>
>>6337199
>she's a good enough person to talk to
Not really, she was part of the Junkyspot forum crowd and has every bit of the annoying victim complex and bad taste, and a super pedantic way of going on about totally basic and boring shit (MsGeek had the same kind of irritating persona, if any of you remember her.) And ugly dolls. Oh, also told artists to pluck out (other people's) cats' whiskers to make doll painting brushes.
>>
>>6338777
Also those tacky ass lolita headdresses she tried to sell for crazy prices by slapping "bestselling fantasy author" on them like that has a damn thing to do with doll clothes. Fucking Mercedes Lackey...seeing the weird shit she did in the doll hobby has discouraged me from ever bothering to buy her books.
>>
>>6336945
Cripes I don't know what's worse, the poor dolls or the wackjobs commenting on the photos...
>>
>>6338658
Do you have to take every commission that comes your way? I think if you made it clear that you were only taking commissions you wanted to take, you might be happier. So what if tumblr trash owner #2425 gets pissy because you didn't want to work on their overly complicated order? You dodged a bullet.
>>
File: ringdoll mona.jpg (83KB, 683x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ringdoll mona.jpg
83KB, 683x1024px
>>6338658
I know many hobbyists would be a nightmare to work with. I 1000% don't blame you for having to tiptoe around or be selective or close down completely. You have to take care of yourself.

I'll admit one of my projects is pretty unusual, but I am willing to let the artist have some freedom (seriously, you're pretty fucked if your OCs are aliens). The thing is, there are maybe two artists I could see pulling this off how I'd like it and they're always being hounded to open up shop again and when they do, good luck getting a slot. I wish my hands didn't fucking shake so much or I'd do it myself.
>>
>>6339341
I gladly don't, I'm past the "fighting with cheap weebs for some bucks" years.
But sometimes a cool person can turn out be a nightmare customer, you never know before you are knee deep in it.
It's always a risk.

However, it still doesn't help with all the other stuff though.
Payment still sucks*, still not good for your health, still eats up your time.
You just don't get much out of it at the end of the day.
It does feel better when the person is cool and the concept too, but that's often not enough.

I just feel bad for the people who really want some of my work.
I guess I will just announce very limited slots once in a while, no waitlists anymore. Or keep it friends only.
Sucks for most people, but I guess it's still better than closing down completely?

*(yes, you can ask for more, but there's a realistic limit and it's a low one with BJDs. We are not like Blythe. Not to mention prices depend a lot on popularity, not actual skill. Just look at Elfgutz asking 85$ for a face-up)

>>6339893
Thanks anon.
I know how annoying this can be, especially when you absolutely have no way to do it yourself.
I feel like that about clothes or wigs.
Some stuff is just hard to get, especially when you want a skilled person; the ones who could do it are either not taking commissions or drowning in them already :(
>>
Finally, DearMine announced the dates for their next event. Now I only have another month to wait before buying my first doll. It looks like one's just going to be a human with animal ears instead of a proper anthro though.
>>
Has anybody bought accessories from dollmansion? How are they?
>>
Where is a good place to buy mid-quality paints/supplies to practice/learn to do faceups on vinyl?
>>
>>6342340
Every art&craft store?

Materials are nothing special for the most part, the most expensive/difficult to get one is the sealant.
Some pastels, acrylic paint/watercolor pencils, brushes, gloss, sealant is all you need.
>>
>>6342340
As >>6342752 said, literally any art/craft store. Just don't get oil based products and you're fine.
>>
>>6338045
wait till /tesg/ hears about this
>>
>>6342752
>>6342835
Where do ya'll get/what brands do you suggest for "extra" faceup things like gloss and or shimmer/glitter?
Also, w2b epoxy?
>>
File: cumshot.png (484KB, 671x821px) Image search: [Google]
cumshot.png
484KB, 671x821px
>>6338045
Followup owner photo of the cumshot faceup without Swandzz's heavy editing.
As expected he looks even shittier. Look how cleverly she hid the shaky uneven eyeliner and the goopy dried cum in corner of his eyes in her own photo.
>>
>>6343747
I'm going to puke
>>
>>6343708
Most people go pearlex for shimmer. Gloss is up to personal preference on how shiny you want.
Epoxy I get online because it's ALWAYS cheaper.

>>6343747
This depresses me.
I mean, after seeing Andrejas paint of her I actually liked this sculpt.
But this paint just... no. There are no winners here.
>>
>>6342340
I like miniaturemarket.com for Vallejo paints, the last time I ordered I was even able to get it shipped first class, and it came shipped in a cardboard trading card file box.
>>
A new thread:

>>6344721
>>6344721>>6344721
>>6344721>>6344721
>>6344721>>6344721>>6344721
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 74

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.