[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Out of curiosity, how many of you guys here are also artists?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

File: nate12.jpg (280KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
nate12.jpg
280KB, 1200x1600px
Out of curiosity, how many of you guys here are also artists?

A friend of mine pointed out to me recently how a lot of cartoonists/animators online he follows have large figure collections, just like I do; so basically everyone he knows of that collects also happens to be an artist.

I was wondering if there were a lot of artists here too then, and what the correlation could be
>>
I kinda hate referring to myself as an "artist", but I don't know how else to put it. Not that it's inaccurate, just kinda weird to say it I guess.
>>
File: Fox only.jpg (329KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Fox only.jpg
329KB, 800x600px
I sculpt for fun, used to paint and have a background in game-art but I wouldnt call myself an artist anymore. I dabbled in customs a bit and used to sell customized vinyl figures but my job has pretty much vamped my time. Given me much more of an opportunity to collect. No ones paying me for my art though so I won't refer to myself as an artist atm.
>>
I'm a potter.

I make pots.
>>
>>6286202
I guess I'm considered one. Though right now I've only earned a tiny bit since I've only done a few artist alley. It's more of a side business.
>>
i'm a pixel/graphic artist. don't have an impressive portfolio, but i'm getting there.
>>
I'm a professionally employed artist with a love of figure collecting. I've liked figures since childhood, and I like having them around me for inspiration. With a disposable income the collecting only gets worse!

I think a lot of artists have an inner child that they feel no shame in having while others might repress such feelings. As if as creators we're 'allowed' to be a bit odd, to have eclectic collections, because it's seen as an 'artist' sort of thing. Whereas a lawyer or doctor might feel more of a stigma to act like a 'grown-up'. Idk.

Many of the artists today seem to have figures strewn around their workspaces like it's no big deal. We're magpies. We collect what we like and surround ourselves with whatever that is.

They also serve a practical purpose in posing/setting up scenes/anatomy in certain cases.
>>
>>6286436
a lot of this, and also I feel like I appreciate the skill that goes into making the things - thinking about the creation process and engineering (especially Transformers) to make it a real thing.

instead of 'artist' how about 'artistically inclined' to include those who have posted that don't feel they deserve the title?
>>
>>6286578
anyone can be a businessman, but not everyone can be a talented businessman. even though someone isn't as good as somebody else, doesn't mean they're not a businessman. use this analogy.
>>
Graphic/Commission Artist. One of my main and long time clients died, so I have started to fill that artistic void with customising my action figure collection.
>>
>>6286181
graphic designer and animator. i havent really done anything worth noting though
>>
>>6286181
Im an animation designer. I graduated sorta recently. Worked at WB animation and now I'm at Rough Draft.
>>
>>6286181
I am a Master Model Builder and Designer for LEGOLAND.
>>
>>6286760
Requesting pics of LEGO General memes in the workshop.
>>
I'm a bit of a draw fag but nothing professional.
>>
Im a cartoonist/painter. I don't think you should be considered an artist unless you publicly go to galleries and sell your works at auctions and shit. You gotta earn that title.
>>
I made a figure for my final project in design.

I also collect alot of toys but they're pretty much "vinyl hipster shit" so i don't get much of a chance to post them.
>>
Illustrator here. Figures are my version of art books for inspiration. I pick one up, fiddle with it, pose it, and it gets my mind in a playful state and fired up for drawing. It's the same experience as seeing a new killer drawing online that blows you away and pushes in a new sense of motivation.
>>
I'm an unaccomplished illustrator. I'm working on getting into some freelance this year, and attending my first Artist's Alley next week.

Everyone's got some good points here though; "artists" are usually more eccentric by nature and have the usual interests needed to have the potential interest in collecting toys. Also well-said about figures being useful as tools; I've used my RDs as pose-models numerous times. It's especially helpful when I want to draw a fan art of a figure I own.

Not to go off topic, but any professional artists here that would like to give some advice breaking into the field? I think I've got the talent and skill needed to do it, but I'm a bit apprehensive about how to get there. Ideally I'd love to work in game design, but I really only have my personal work to show my skill right now and only an associates degree in animation from a piece of shit school.
>>
>>6286181
I've only ever spent money from art commissions on figures. For some reason I just can't help but see money from that as 'fun' money and my money from work as 'boring' money
>>
>>6286836
Yeah same. I do it for fun and to pass the time in class, I don't take it too seriously
>>
>>6286760
If that's true then you're livin' the dream, my man.

>>6287141
What about people like the Magic the Gathering artists? Their skill is high tier and many of them utilize classic oil-painting techniques. They might not be able to contribute to the modern gallery scene in the same way (or might not want to), but many of them have the same level of technical skill as those in the gallery route.
>>
>>6287154
Haha this is pretty damn accurate. Show us your collection here, anon! I love seeing people's workspaces.

>>6287197
As someone in the professional space right now, the absolute best thing is networking. As someone who struggled with intense social anxiety for a long time, this was incredibly difficult at first, but it paid off the more I did it. Artist's Ally is a great start. Basically anywhere and everywhere you can talk to other artists, especially in person, is great. Galleries, indie shows, artist allies, websites, forums...make sure to make conversation and not just show your work. Ask for feedback and learn to talk critique if you have a hard time with it now.

Also, there are a TON of people in programming or other fields who work on indie game projects and who would love to have an artist buddy make their stuff look awesome. Most probably don't have a lot of money but it's good exposure into teamwork and what really goes into making a game/story/animation. Just having those small side projects under your belt and the recommendations of those you have directly worked with will carry you far. As you build up the experience though, don't let people get off with paying you nothing unless you want that.

>>6287470
I know this feel too well. I like to imagine it keeps the rest of my paycheck in budget....
>>
>>6286230
With a paint job like that I can see why no one is paying you for your art.
>>
>>6287154
This is pretty cool, you could probably succeed in the art toy world.
>>
Anyone recommend any sites or people to paint figures in the UK?
(Mainly SW)

I would prefer to use someone who understands rather than local artists who will probably be a little judgemental when I tell them what I want.
>>
>>6287686
Thanks for the tips! Yeah, I always knew networking was important, but where you had social anxiety, I was mostly procrastinating and apprehensive because I didn't want to put in the effort... I realize how stupid that is and regret it a bit, but now I'm invigorated to take my art somewhere professionally, so I'll do whatever it takes.

Luckily I had a very good art program in high school that helped me develop critiquing skills, so that's not much of a problem. At this point it seems it's more about just getting myself out there and being patient enough to realize it will take some time. I'm excited to do my first Artist's Alley, and I'm already planning for my second one. I guess based on what you said, I should look into getting into some forums and any local stuff to help get my name out there.
>>
>>6286578
>thinking about the creation process and engineering (especially Transformers)
this is precisely why I collect (the better) ones. idgaf about the characters or whatever pants-on-head retarded story they write for this toy line
>>
>>6287141
>I don't think you should be considered an artist unless you publicly go to galleries and sell your works at auctions and shit
I disagree.
An artist is anyone who makes art. It doesn't have to be a career, it can be a hobby too.
>>
>>6286181
Illustrator here. I'm not a big collector but I definitely enjoy having a couple figures. I really enjoy concept art/creature/character design and figures are an extension of that.

I also attribute my ability to create dynamic poses to years and years of playing with toys.

One day I'll be a concept artist. One day.
>>
>>6286181
animation school dropout here, the animation field is definitely one where nobody will bat an eye at a bunch of toys on your desk

I enjoy toys largely for the artistry. I like reverse-engineering their construction too. I would never, ever want to go into stop-motion animation professionally, but I can't turn off the part of my brain that looks at a well-articulated toy and says "this would be a good stop motion puppet".
>>
>>6288122
Fair enough. I just currently haven't gone beyond my hobby stage yet and feel uncomfortable calling myself an artist. Once I get into actually putting work out there then I won't feel as guilty.
>>
I work in mobile games, actually started off wanting to do comics but also had a strong interest in game design because I played a shit ton of games. Basically went where the money was.

I pretty much love monsters, I grew up with Kamen Riders and Ultraman ever since I could remember, so cool humanoids/creatures are really why I draw. It's inseparable why I buy toys and why I draw.
>>
Failed artist here. Illustrations and animation. Had to get a viable job. I might get back into some day.

I know Harry Partridge is the patron saint of wacky action figure collecting.
>>
File: 20170422_134737.jpg (1010KB, 2988x3289px) Image search: [Google]
20170422_134737.jpg
1010KB, 2988x3289px
>>6287686
A little late, but you gave me a reason to dust and re-arrange!

>>6287705
That's the plan at the moment, a combination of toys, illustration and motion graphics.

Having commitment issues going into proffesional design is pretty difficult, because i just want to do everything all the time.

my Instagram is king_zanziba if anyone is interested in my work!
>>
Echoing that I'm more of a wannabe drawfag, but I guess it counts.

My feeling is that /toy/s sit somewhere in an intersection of nerd interests and creativity, which is why so many people in one hobby have at least passing interest in the other.
>>
Drawfag here, still kinda learning anatomy though.
>>
>>6287702
I see some flaws, but still much better than than the official imo
>>
I'm a tattoo artist, when I was younger I always wanted to do concept art/creature design for movies and games but at 17 I got an internship at a local tattoo shop and fell in love, been doing it ever since.

I've always collected things, and aside from /toy/ things I'm also heavily into /tg/ stuff and have a passing interest in taxidermy. I've always loved creating things so I've tried my hands at all kinds of crafts, like sculpting, origami, engraving, woodworking, painting, you name it. If it involves making something you can bet I've probably tried it at least once, but I always go back to simply drawing with pencil and paper no matter what I try out.
>>
>>6293283
>>6287702
Eh I think I did alright considering it was my first resculpt of an articulated figure. It was also a personal project so I didn't really care as much. I dont even think I sanded it. I'd post other work but it's much more identifying. Hell that one's pretty identifying as it is.
>>
>>6286181
Artists just have an appreciation of the idea of spending a lot on owning something that has no practical purpose but is really cool to look at?

I mean, sort of comes with the territory.
>>
>>6286181
I paint cars. That's a form of art...right?
>>
File: 1490136259003107.jpg (57KB, 637x685px) Image search: [Google]
1490136259003107.jpg
57KB, 637x685px
>>6293296
Now that I think about it, that's incredibly accurate. Most of my spending money goes to objects without real practical value but instead that have value derived from their capacity to be aesthetically pleasurable or intriguing.
>>
>>6293676
>>6293296

> Artists like things that look good

Who would have guessed!
>>
>>6291782
Same guy that asked for tips earlier. Just wanted to pop in and say I started following you on Instagram!

Good stuff man! I particularly like the gamegirl pin design!
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.