[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/dino/ toy general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 152
Thread images: 41

Talk about dinosaur toys, and dinosaur/paleontology science in general

Last thread
>>6179985

The upcoming ceratopsian KS looks super dope
>>
File: 20161127_184731.jpg (109KB, 1133x748px) Image search: [Google]
20161127_184731.jpg
109KB, 1133x748px
>>6264659
Who has the Jurassic World license now and what are they doing with it?
>>
File: jp2k9trex.jpg (70KB, 600x371px) Image search: [Google]
jp2k9trex.jpg
70KB, 600x371px
>>6264661
Mattel has the license, but I doubt it'll be anything better than Hasbro.

Selling deluxe big dinos at $35+ retail price is a big risk because it takes a lot of shelf space.

I also wonder whether the old school kenner mold also transfer over to mattel. Hasbro definitely had the old school Kenner mold and it'd be a shame if those molds got lost in time
>>
>>6264700
I doubt molds transferred. Hasbro has the mold's because they got Kenner, not because they got Jurassic Park.
>>
File: 20160402_212702.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160402_212702.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
Dino toys rock!
>>
>>6264661
>>6264700
Some days ago someone posted a 'leak' from Mattel of some internal plans for product line up of the upcoming toys for next year. Extremely unlikely it is real, but I have always seen more unbelievable leaks getting proven right.
>>
>>6264777
Sadly most of the really good ones are +10 years or more and we're currently suffering from massive droughts. Every kid back in the 90's had at least 1 big bad dinosaur toy. The 90's JP line was pretty legendary for it's playability, good sculpt etc.

The JW Hasbro toys, or the Papo/Safari/Sleich statues were still nowhere as good as 90's Kenner
>>
File: dino_spike_ultra.jpg (371KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
dino_spike_ultra.jpg
371KB, 1280x720px
>>6264659
I wish the put out more Sauropods in scale with the rest of the Dinosaurs. Doubt they ever will, at least not many, they're not as "cool" as Theropods.

I guess I'll have to do with this little guy.
>>
It saddens me how small the market is for Adult Dinosaur Collectibles.

Sideshow requires the big $$$$
Rebor is fantastic
Papo is great for the most part
>>
>>6265675
Papo's decline in my opinion was the change to glossy plastic. Now they all look like bootlegs.
>>
>>6265705

Whatever man, the glossy plastic is a godsend. It makes them look alive, it's wonderful.
>>
>>6265705
>>6265801
I like both approaches, it's all about how they handle the paint.
Sadly I haven't been very excited about any of their more recent dino releases.
>>
Who's buying/bought raptors from Silva's KS? What species and/or sets did you choose? The wait for these is going to be agonizing but is worth it after he posted the video on their articulation.
>>
File: raptor.jpg (1MB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
raptor.jpg
1MB, 2272x1704px
>crawl through old stuff
>find pic related
>think "maybe I could post this on /toy/"
>find this thread
Sometimes I really think I am part of my own Truman Show.

Anyhow, this toy is at least 20 years old, probably even older.
I remember I got an assload of JP toys for my 6th or 7th birthday, when it was all the rage. The raptor though, I think I broke the first one and got a new one. But it surely hasn't been later than 1997.
>>
>>6264777
Is that the JP Dilophosaurus that could spit liquid? Also had that one. II think I even had the one that could scream, but that sucked. Like the raptor that could scream.
>>
why does that kick starter guy only do well articulated feathered dinosaurs? for a very long time the world had only known dinosaurs to have scales and for most depictions dinosaurs were shown with scales, the scientific facts of dinosaurs actually having feathers is quite a relatively recent thing compared to how long the world viewed dinosaurs with scales.

So I must ask why do feathers appeal more to the creator of these figures? surely he grew up also with dinosaurs depicted with scales too. Is he not even considering doing a version with strictly scales a la jurrasic park?
>>
>>6266095
Because he wants them scientifically accurate, or a close to accurate as we can reasonably guess based on current data. As do enough people to make the raptor ks a rousing success, myself included. I love JP and grew up with scaly raptors, but imo their time has passed the media needs to get with it.
>>
File: spinosaur.jpg (76KB, 524x230px) Image search: [Google]
spinosaur.jpg
76KB, 524x230px
>>6266095
Scaled raptors are just movie monsters. There's a sizeable dinosaur collector fanbase with persecution complex (over Hasbro's complete disregard on scientific accuracy) on the internet who jerk off over scientific accuracy and see who can outedge who in term of cutting edge popsci discovery about dinosaur.

This is kind of the prevailing fanbase of adult dinosaur collector, and this is why Rebor has had so much pushback (because they're basically just making unlicensed JP dino copies)
>>
File: 4574678678.jpg (55KB, 754x468px) Image search: [Google]
4574678678.jpg
55KB, 754x468px
>>6266088
That's one of the few toys I had recieved as a kid that is on display in my room right now. It was released back in 1993.
>>
>>6266097
seems like a relatively easy change to make? why no option? im just saying I find it hard to believe this guy does not have some kind of emotion/connection for dinosaurs with scales seeing as most of us grew up with that and it looks incredibly cool. Has he really not discussed the option at all? why not both? I can't help but feel like the whole thing is for some secret exclusive club and it just feels really snobbish.
>>
>>6266123
Maybe he's an actual sperg? Or scales would be much more additional work than just "just leave away the feathers".
>>
>>6266104
Thats pretty interesting, thanks for filling me in. How did these people originally react to the Jurrasic park dinosaurs? was it known back then that feathers on a dinosaur were scientific fact? I dont think feathers are common knowledge among the general world wide population still right?
>>
>>6266123
>seems like a relatively easy change to make?
It would take an entirely new set of molds. He'd have to run another KS and make enough from it justify having them made. It's not just removing the feathers from the current ones.

Personally, I wouldn't buy them. I don't really care about what I do or do not have an emotional connection to in that way. I loved Valley of the Gwangi as a kid, but I don't need articulated tail-dragging dinos either.
>>
>>6266131
>an entirely new set of mo
>>6266130
really? I was thinking the jurrasic park raptors and these kick starter raptors looked familiar enough but I dont know anything about making a toy.

For me personally I buy figures for more than just looking at so if I do buy a figure its usually really well articulated and I hope to make stop motion animation with it eventually and after a while I just really wanted to spice things up and have something thats NOT humanoid. I would love a well articulated animal of ANYTHING so I was pretty happy when I saw the april fools figma bear.
>>
>>6266095
Let me put it to you this way: a LOT of people grew up for decades thinking dinosaurs were tail-dragging lizards and that the bipedal dinosaurs walked upright like a human. Would you be okay with more emphasis based on the sluggish, tail-dragging, cold-blooded depiction that was around for about a century? Would you like a T-Rex that was identical in body-design to Scarface from Land of the Lost instead of Rexy from JP?
>>
>>6266123
>seems like a relatively easy change to make? why no option?
It's really not. Even if you were to use the base sculpts used for the feathered ones, that shit would require being sculpted entirely as figures of their own and would need their own molds. It's just not viable unless he starts an entirely new KS project out of it.

I don't really fault the guy. He's been making a ton of movie monsters for NECA for years now. Even before this KS I actually followed his original works (due to looking up dino figures) and based on his personal sculptures, he seemed to pursue scientific accuracy for dinos out of genuine interest in paleo stuff. I was even considering buying one of his old cartoony Raptor figures (which still had feathers) until he put out a notice for the Kickstarter on his old site showing that he's actually considering making a Raptor KS with better sculpting.

I'm actually kind of happy that the KS blew up with so much interest, especially considering his meager beginnings as someone who made dino statues on the side.

>>6266131
Funnily enough, I first grew up with dinosaurs dragging their tails so for me that was really the OG look of dinosaurs. If anything, JP was kind of a new thing for me that everyone just stuck onto for being so revolutionary. The same thing goes for new discoveries of feathered dinos.

In this regard, it's hard for me to take the whole nostalgia thing seriously when my perception of dinosaurs has changed twice over. I mean I still have a fond attachment for T-Rex dragging its tail, but I wouldn't sperg about my need to feed that sense of nostalgia just because JP dinosaurs dominated most of the world's perception of dinosaurs, and the same goes for the rising appreciation for feathered dinos.
>>
>>6266282
but why is this the first attempt at well articulated dinosaurs? everything else has been statues and made for children. Why has neca for example never tried it? they do alien,predator,gremlins,terminator and all sorts of obscure American movie characters but not a single Jurrasic park dino? we all know the significance of Jurrasic park and yet it seems only revoltech has attempted something with the minature trex.
It all seems so odd to me.
>>
>>6266290
>but not a single Jurrasic park dino?
Licensing. I'd assume it's because Hasbro had it for the most part and they didn't seem to care enough about it to invest in proper figures for JP/JW. It's the reason people keep shitting on Hasbro since their toys are like a step back from the Kenner days.

>but why is this the first attempt at well articulated dinosaurs?
The guy is a NECA sculptor who loves sculpting figures/statues in his own spare time, and he had a genuine interest for scientifically-accurate dinosaurs. If anything, we're kind of lucky that he gave enough of a shit to start his own original line of articulated dino figures since this essentially sets a precedence.

That said, this isn't really the first time that articulated dinos have been attempted.
>>
>>6266306
There was a guy who made a resin articulated Acrocanthosaurus a while back. It was 1:35 scale but it was well-done in detail and engineering.

http://galileon.deviantart.com/art/Acrocanthosaurus-Poseable-1-35-scale-506266574

He even made 1:8 scale JP rexes.

http://galileon.deviantart.com/art/T-Rexes-1-8-scale-617495951
>>
File: 1490171860814.png (159KB, 540x611px) Image search: [Google]
1490171860814.png
159KB, 540x611px
>>6266123
>>6266131
I think what's really interesting(and also a rare thing in nature) is that we kind of got the best of both worlds. Dinosaurs had feathers and also a lot didn't, even in very close species.
>>
Anyone know any good recent documentaries with new info on Dinosaurs?
Actually where do all the nerds get their news?
>>
>>6266645
>Dinosaurs had feathers and also a lot didn't, even in very close species.
That's very true and it even serves to give dinosaurs a larger variety in terms of appearances instead of just being one visual archetype.
>>
My OC characters>>6266088
I lost this fucker at school when I was a dumbass kid, biggest regret as a young kid.
>>
>>6266660
Some modern-day birds still have claws on their wings too. Emus have it on I think their thumb and the Hoatzin has scaly thumb and index fingers as a chick that eventually become regular winghands.

This has led some scientists to speculate that even Dromeosaurs might've had 'mitten' hands like many bird-like Dino's such as anchiornis recently was found to have.

To me this is like comparing non-mammalian therapsids like the gorgonopsids to modern-day mammals.
>>
>>6264700
I honestly feel like Mattel might do a better job with dinosaurs than hasbro.. anything has to be better than the shit they spit out.
>>
>>6266645
>Dinosaurs had feathers

No they didn't.
>>
These look so much more interesting than the raptors. I only got a few things from the 1st KS but am going to go for broke and go broke on this one.
>>
>>6266290
Realize that Revoltech's ability to make that JP Rex was a very unique one time thing. When they tried to rerelease it for the Legacy line, they were forced to recolor it so it was no longer strictly a Jurassic Park Rex.

If they, who already were allowed to do it once, weren't really allowed to a second time, what makes you think Hasbro would have allowed an American company like Neca touch it? And now that Mattel has the license I doubt they will let anyone else touch it either.
>>
>>6267387
These are 1:18 scale too, so a lot of lines can be used with them if one is a scalefag. If 1:18 was my thing I'd be getting these.
>>
>>6266095
Here is the definitive answer from the creator himself
>>
File: IMG_1662.gif (2MB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1662.gif
2MB, 540x540px
>>6267926
Christ, that guy's run-on paragraph with poor grammar made me cringe.
>>
>>6267926
Proof that even autismos can be normie trash.
>>
>>6267926
Hopefully he'll do a T. rex with beefy arms and three fingers in 1:18 too.
>>
>>6267926

God, he sounds like a fucking psychopath.
>>
>>6267926
>misinformed

I think he's the one that's misinformed.
>>
>>6267975
>>6267939

There's definitely something wrong with him. He posted a weird rant/spiel after the Kickstarter finished, too, like he's on some scientific crusade. It's pathetic.
>>
>>6267975
>>6267985
What am I missing? How is wanting to do more accurate dinos a thing a psychopath would do?
>>
>>6267996
Just ignore the trolls
>>
File: pTRU1-20765744_alternate2_enh-z6.jpg (161KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
pTRU1-20765744_alternate2_enh-z6.jpg
161KB, 1000x1000px
Hey guys what's going on in this thread?
>>
>>6268058
Ugh, treadfags gtfo.
>>
>>6268048
>everyone's a troll because they don't subscribe to my beliefs
>>
>>6268207
>beliefs
t. (you)
>>
>>6268210

Sorry, you're projecting onto the wrong person, yet again.
>>
>>6267975
>>6267985
Don't see what's wrong with wanting more scientifically-accurate dinos especially when he has the means of making them himself.
>>
>>6268216

Problem is, they're not scientifically accurate. They're just his assumptions and guesses and personal bias.
>>
>>6268244
kek
>>
>>6268244
Obviously aside from the various color choices (I mean they're still toys for crying out loud) what exactly is inaccurate about the molds? Genuinely asking out of curiosity.
>>
File: image.jpg (267KB, 1024x724px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
267KB, 1024x724px
>>6268244
>>
>>6267926

I hope someone takes one of his precious feathered fantasies, sands down the feathers and sculpts them to be fully scaled. Just to piss him off.
>>
>>6268309
They'd have to do a whole new tail or it'll look shrink wrapped there.

I know some people really can be assholes, but waiting this long just to do that is a bit pathetic.
>>
>>6268315
And a dumbass waste of time and money. Most of those joints won't look right without feathers covering them so it'll just look like crap anyway.
>>
>>6268058
That actually looks pretty dank, but I wouldn't wanna be seen buying/owning it.
>>
>>6268309
Sounds like cutting off your own nose to spite your face.
>>
>>6268331
>Most of those joints won't look right without feathers covering them so it'll just look like crap anyway.

You've got one hell of a defeatist attitude.
>>
File: 3620179323.jpg (129KB, 720x829px) Image search: [Google]
3620179323.jpg
129KB, 720x829px
The guy who did the sculpting on the new Kong stuff posted this picture of some upcoming prehistoric stuff. Didn't say what line it'll be under though.
>>
>>6268349
He may have a point. Messing with the sculpt when the joints are a part of it might just make it look terrible (even if one already hates the feathers).
>>
>>6268340
Iirc there is a pteradactyl/don type of dino from that same line that actually looked really cool. Had a rusted over look to it, someone posted a thread of it a few years ago and everyone was disappointed the rest of the line did not have the same aesthetic.
>>
>>6268258
I'm sure there's some vague issue with proportioning or something but in general featherhaters just wish movie monsters were real and think their personal taste has more weight than the fossil evidence.
>>
>>6270418
Different anon.
That makes them sound like creationists refuting evolution despite the evidence.
>>
>>6270418
The fossil evidence isn't even conclusive or able to be trusted. There's literally no reason to put stock in something they'll change their minds on in a month.

You're so desperate to have a scoop or be right that you put all this faith in morons that squabble amongst themselves to get their name published first.
>>
>>6270418
I'll take the iconic movie monsters over the """real""" dinosaurs
>>
File: 1920px-Microraptor_fossil1.jpg (428KB, 1920x989px) Image search: [Google]
1920px-Microraptor_fossil1.jpg
428KB, 1920x989px
>>6271469
I am very much of the same opinion about not putting 100% faith on what comes out of the science community as 'this is the accurate depiction of dinos' but only to a point. Stuff like 'T Rex is definitely partially feathered. no we don't have evidence of feathers on Rex, but there is no way for all of his closest relatives to have produced evidence of feathers and Rex also not have feathers. The chances of that happening goes against evolutionary norms.' That I won't put faith into, cause they don't have 100% proof, just a theory. And hell a new relative of Rex was discovered to lack feathers on the face and head completely shutting out a good chunk of the 'accurate recreations' of T Rex and other Tyranosaurs depicting feathers there.

But stuff like the Microraptor feathers? I will put faith on those being accurate. We have fossil evidence of Microraptor feathers that are so well preserved even the pigment cells can be analyzed! How awesome is that? Scientists can actually analyze those feathers and tell us that the arrangement of the cells match birds with black and glossy iridescent feathers like a starling. That is friggin insane. How can that sort of evidence not be conclusive ?

So I take the middle road and remain in favor of both depictions while evidence is lacking definitiveness. But when evidence is extremely strong if not all but conclusive, then I will support black iridescent feathered Microraptors and scaled derpy Carnotaurus who lacks even the slightest hint of a feather on his scaled body.

But even then I will still enjoy my Jurassic Park raptors, I always knew they were not accurate even when the movie came out due to the simple fact they are not Velociraptor. But does not change the fact their designs are cool regardless of the fact they would never have existed in real life.
>>
>>6271627

This, honestly. Reality may be reality, but it sucks. There's a reason we create better things.
>>
File: 1491371126449.jpg (438KB, 2000x1833px) Image search: [Google]
1491371126449.jpg
438KB, 2000x1833px
The thing I hate about Featherfags and Scalefags alike is their dogmatic and unscientific blanket statements.
We know that some dinosaurs had only scales and we know that some had only feathers, and that variance is even between nearly identical species, with many raptors having no feathers at all and some looking like birds. We have the best of both worlds and pedantic fucks need to get over themselves
>>
>>6271707
yeah tell em like you mean it !
>>
>>6271707
Is that Michael Caine?

But seriously, this guy gets it. Depictions based on what you DO KNOW are fine. Depictions of things that MIGHT BE POSSIBLE are fine so long as the current evidence doesn't disprove it. But depictions of things we have confirmed to be false for certain are just idiotic. If someone drew a T-Rex with an upright posture dragging its tail both scale and feather fags would go ballistic because it's been proven wrong. But depict Velociraptor with feathers even though we have proof it was feathered and even had wings and scalefags have aneurysms.
>>
>>6272087
>But depictions of things we have confirmed to be false for certain are just idiotic

No, that's just you trying to limit the possibilities. And THAT is idiotic.
>>
>>6272112
So you're cool with the upright Rex?
>>
>>6271707
I do trust the scientific evidence that raptors are most likely feathered, so I'm no scalefag but there's massive massive hypocrisy in both David Silva and feather fags here that they seem to care about scientific accuracy but yet pose and take picture of the 1/6th raptor next to 1/12th figures as if these were the size of JP raptors and not real world velociraptor

I'm sure when the figures are finally done people here will post pics next to their 1/12th anime schoolgirls
>>
>>6272257
I plan on doing exactly that
>>
>>6272123

Are you cool with you being an untrustworthy child?
>>
File: Kylo Ren Toys.jpg (74KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Kylo Ren Toys.jpg
74KB, 1024x768px
>>6272257
Well, that's dealing with a different type of 'scalefags'.
>>
>>6272257
I think he's been pretty clear about which scale it's scientifically in and that you can mix and match to get what kinda dinosaur you want.
>>
>>6272257
I regret not having bought either of those toys while they were on kick starter. Especially the bald eagle in the full 'murican' get up.
>>
>>6265801
>>6265705
I have recently purchased the new ceratosaurus and acrocanthosaurus and neither are glossy though. To me it seems it was only a thing for the 2016 releases, and it only really hurt the baryonyx because they didn't apply a wash to the whole model. But the baryonyx is pretty shit anyway, uncomfortable, awkward pose combined with it's inflated size and the lackluster paintjob really ruined the admitedly cool design.
>>
>>6272123
depnding on how the depiction is used? yes, I am. If it is part of a wholy new line of articulated dinosaurs with no ties to any license with that dinosaur type, then I would start getting upset they wasted time and effort when they could have done something a little more accurate, not to mention FUN to pose with.However I would probably lower my autismo rage meter if they were at least adverttised as a tongue in cheek retro highly articulated line with corny 70s/80s packaging and the works.
>>
>>6272619
>Especially the bald eagle in the full 'murican' get up.
I wonder if that special reprint sale i heard about that will go up after this most recent kickstarter will include him. I ought to go ask the legions thread if they know any chances on that.
>>
>>6272257
>being this much of an autistic scalefag (not that kind of scalefag) that people having fun with mixing figures across different lines actually trigger you to the point of calling it "massive hypocrisy" because scientific accuracy means "no fun allowed"
Good lord, it's a fucking toy. Get over yourself.
>>
>>6272257
Officially, the raptors are 1:6 scale; but Dave is aware of the popularity of both 1:12 scale and Jurassic Park; so either as an accomodation or a mere coincidence, scaling to 1:12 works for the more fantastical depiction
>>
>>6274517
They would also be so tiny at 1/12 scale that I'm super glad he went 1/6th.
>>
>>6274602
For those curious, remember the bendy Coelophysis dino's from the first Jurassic Park toys? That's how big a 1:12 velociraptor would be.
>>
File: reme30086_1.jpg (23KB, 600x285px) Image search: [Google]
reme30086_1.jpg
23KB, 600x285px
Anyone have the Re-ment Pteranodon figure? I'm curious about the dimensions, and all I can find seem to be for the box.

I'm wanting to take the wings to make a dragon, but need to know if it's the right scale.
>>
File: Sauropod_size_comp2.jpg (215KB, 1600x892px) Image search: [Google]
Sauropod_size_comp2.jpg
215KB, 1600x892px
If a dinosaur toy line were to be accurate and to scale, the sauropods would be huge, and/or the little theropods would be tiny.

1/36 scale would make for a 30-inch Diplodocus and a 2-inch long (3/4 inch high) Velociraptor
>>
>>6271469
Honestly? I don't even care if feathers turn out to be inaccurate, ether entirely or in part. If every raptor figure is sculpted to the same lolJurassicPark style it gets boring. Jogging to keep up with what's scientifically accurate at least results in a nice variety.

If you want a JP-style scaley raptor you literally have hundreds of figure options. To complain you can't have one more copy of the same is like complaining that you can't have chicken tendies at every meal.
>>
>>6275418
Needs to be bigger. 1/12 all the way!
>>
>>6275437
^This. It annoys me that virtually every dromeosaur ends up being based the JP movie raptors. At least give them the narrow, upturned snouts velociraptor actually had!
>>
>>6275437
Look I am excited for my raptors to arrive but don't completely shut out those who want better articulated JP raptors and tell them 'shut up you already have options'. All there is, is older stuff really, nothing great.

The scalefags and feather fags all have this idiotic idea of 'ONLY MUH STUFF DESERVES TO BE MADE' and 'WAH IF THIS IS BEING MADE THEN NO ONE WILLMAKE MY THING!' Grow up, someone else may take up the reigns for awesomely articulated JP style raptors. Maybe just maybe, and this is a massively out on a branch maybe, if this is successful enough then Mattel might give us something at least halfway decent. I won't hold my breath for something awesome, but just MAYBE we could see a raptor with articulation similar to the JP allosaurus. Again, very long shot maybe.

But point is this arguing and whining is pointless, DINOSAUR TOYS are being made with up to date articulation, that alone should be worthy of praise and excitement.
but to try and get sme other discussion going, what do people hope for after the ceratopsians?
>>
>>6275703
I think the obvious would be other ornithischians like Stegosaurs and ankylosaurs. Pterasaurs would also be a logical next step. The LW pteranodon was a great figure but with updated articulation like the raptors we could get some badass pterasaurs.
>>
>>6275728
The various pteradon/dactyl figures from the jurrassic park lines were always some of the most fun figures I had. Great size, almost perfect amount of articulation for the figure. By that I mean that type of creature doesn't really need a huge amount of articulation like a raptor. Torso joints might interfere with the wings, but add in a knee joint and some more joints in the neck and you got a decent figure. Unfortunately him doing such a thing might be problemsome. how WOULD he handle the wings? The cloth wing approach won't work for these detailed sculpts, and not sure how expensive these things would become with massive wing spans made of plastic.
>>
That guy that does that shitty feathered dinosaur art on DeviantArt for that game is butthurt cause that new paper retcons his bullshit belief about how his precious feathered rexes look.

I think he was planning on destroying a Sideshow rex statue by gluing feathers on it too. Absolute nutball.
>>
My most wanted items would be an underwater series where bodies and fins could be reused on mosasaurs, pleisiosaurs, etc. Followed by pterosaurs and then whatever the fuck dimetrodrons and other Triassic big ass lizard things are. I suppose lambeosaurs are likely based on similar shapes with different heads but I don't think they're that exciting.
>>
>>6275785
>My most wanted items would be an underwater series where bodies and fins could be reused on mosasaurs, pleisiosaurs, etc.
Good lord I would love a line like that where he can put out a lot more variety despite still reusing a sizeable mount of molds.
>>
>>6275771
link?
>>
>>6275785
>Dimetrodon
I think a "Beasts of the Paleozoic" line is kinda distant to think about. Kenner did a surprising amount of Permian figures for the JP line (Lycaeonops, Dimetrodon, Estemenasuchus, and Scutosaurus). I'd love a gorgonopsid with more modern articulation (Inostrancevia would be ideal at 1/12 scale).

Triassic Archosaurs would be fun because early dinos could be put in the line too. A 1/12 rauisuchid like Postosuchus would be about the same size as the raptors coming out more or less.

As for Pterasuars' wings...other than the Kenner LW nylon hosiery the only other option for realism without sacrificing articulation would be two wing sets (perched and flight) using silicone or a rubber membrane for the wings.
>>
>>6275476
That would make for 6-inch long (2-inch high) Velociraptors, but would mean Diplodocus would be 7.5 feet long. 1/12 would be nice, but even I would buy that big of toys. I have enough difficulty displaying my Spike toys.
>>
>>6275437
>If you want a JP-style scaley raptor you literally have hundreds of figure options
99% of those are statues, and the rest are mostly shitty with 1996 level articulation. I love what BOTM are doing and a bought a few, but It'd be nice to get some JP style raptors with good articulation and paint.
>>
>>6276026
Mattel has the license currently, so unless they do a side line with more detailed sculpts and articulation for collectors I'm expecting nothing phenomenally better than Hasbro's attempt with the JW stuff.

Wishful thinking now. I would buy a Neca raptor or Dilophosaurus if they got the license so long as the joint-engineering is on par with Dog or AVP aliens.
>>
File: Hadrosaur-tree-v4.jpg (56KB, 661x600px) Image search: [Google]
Hadrosaur-tree-v4.jpg
56KB, 661x600px
>>6275785
>lambeosaurs
hadrosaurs probably would have been an easier second line, with small medium and large sizes and a bunch of identifiable crest variations
>>6276518
the leaked toy list and announcement of a 25th anniversary line may mean that
>>
>>6276744
>the leaked toy list and announcement of a 25th anniversary line may mean that
you got any more info on that?
>>
>>6276778
That it's bullshit, it featured an action figure of a pedo rapist and was a pipe dream of a perfect JP toyline.
>>
>>6276778
>>6276744
the leak was most likely fake. It still was very odd the person faking it would have put the things they had put on the list though.
>>
File: scrapadactyl.jpg (271KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
scrapadactyl.jpg
271KB, 2000x2000px
>>6270388
You must mean one of these.
It's one of those lines where the good guys are all bright and colorful while the bad guys are all dark and rusted out.
>>
File: 1080847024101857094_1395287116.jpg (68KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1080847024101857094_1395287116.jpg
68KB, 750x750px
>>6277026
I picked one of those up. He's pretty cool. The body is diecast and he's got big rollers on his chest for rolling along.
>>
File: 00000007.jpg (768KB, 1340x893px) Image search: [Google]
00000007.jpg
768KB, 1340x893px
First time posting on /toy/.

This thread activated my nostalgia.

I went and rediscovered my old childhood toys locked away in some boxes.

Derp family.
>>
File: 00000006.jpg (2MB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
00000006.jpg
2MB, 1920x1280px
>>6279008
Generic "T.Rex" that used to eat small toys.
>>
File: 00000008.jpg (2MB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
00000008.jpg
2MB, 1920x1280px
>>6279010
Brontosaurus. I kinda like how old school this is, and how "low resolution" it looks.
>>
File: 00000005.jpg (2MB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
00000005.jpg
2MB, 1920x1280px
Think this was supposed to be an Apatosaurus. That head is "great". I'm assuming all of these came from Paraguay...
>>
File: 00000004.jpg (2MB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
00000004.jpg
2MB, 1920x1280px
>>6279019
Triceratops and Eehhhratopsofsorts.

Why is it that their rubber seems better than current ones... These toys are like, 20 years old.
>>
File: 00000002.jpg (2MB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
00000002.jpg
2MB, 1920x1280px
>>6279032
I think this is from Disney's Dinosaur. Not sure...
>>
File: 00000001.jpg (2MB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
00000001.jpg
2MB, 1920x1280px
>>6279037
And the best one. Lost World's Juvenile T.Rex. Holy hell, it seems like I got it yesterday. Great condition and no atempts were made to preserve these.

End of dump. The rest are Papo figures I bought recently but those everybody knows so no pics necessary.
>>
File: IMG_1071.jpg (393KB, 800x578px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1071.jpg
393KB, 800x578px
>>6275923
I know it'd be fuck huge, but it'd still be awesome. And there are people out there that are crazy enough to buy it. Just look at what Hot Toys gets people to buy
>>
>>6279072
Not that anon, but holy shit! I like that the scale is "1/6 HUGE @$$ VEHICLE".

I'd def buy a huge high quality dino like that if I had the money..
>>
>>6272257
you could always use them as a 1/12th Deinonychus, which is what the JP Velociraptors actually are
>>
>>6266081
Uh, T. mangas, B. bondoc, and a Blueraptor happinessii for a friend's birthday in advance.
>>
File: 00000003.jpg (533KB, 1032x688px) Image search: [Google]
00000003.jpg
533KB, 1032x688px
>>
File: Ultimasaurus8.jpg (591KB, 660x676px) Image search: [Google]
Ultimasaurus8.jpg
591KB, 660x676px
>>6279032
Boy the colourscheme on that fucker just gave me a heck of a flashback.
>>
>>6279037
I *think* this guy comes from a stock line they used to sell (at least) in natural history museum gift shops when I was a kid.
>>
File: T.derp.webm (888KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
T.derp.webm
888KB, 720x480px
Bumping. This thread is too short.
>>
File: $_35.jpg (10KB, 300x224px) Image search: [Google]
$_35.jpg
10KB, 300x224px
>>6279011
Are there any toys more wholesome and ubiquitous than these kind of old school dinos?
>>
File: Inv-Brach-Jur-Park1.jpg (100KB, 500x364px) Image search: [Google]
Inv-Brach-Jur-Park1.jpg
100KB, 500x364px
>>6280135
Although these were always the best ones to me as a kid. The solid plastic chunks from the British Museum line. No crappy or paint or anything just beautifully sculpted blocks of high quality plastic.
>>
Checking for any ankylosaurus stuff aaaaaand nothing.
>>
>>6280138

Oh man, I had one of those Peach Stegosaurus and the Dark Grey Sauropod. My old man must have brought them back from the UK after a business trip.
>>
File: 1471906040148.jpg (21KB, 407x500px) Image search: [Google]
1471906040148.jpg
21KB, 407x500px
>>6280158
Dino toys were more common when I was a kid, now I can't find many decent ones. Never had an Anky toy, but I did just ordered Papo's "Anky", it'll do for now.

>Mfw when I collect dinos, have a kid in the future and he doesn't give a shit.
>>
Anybody owns Safari figs? Might order some one day.
>>
I had very small single color rubber dinos that were really well made, the best tiny sculpts and casting I had ever seen. They looked pretty cute.
I've looked everywhere and I found a bunch of old toys shit but never again found those little guys. It's really sad cause I'm positive I'll never find them again cause it was a random find at a 2 dollar shop.
>>
Why are there business men in the middle of the desert?
>>
>>6280251
I have a few. Dilophosaurus is a pretty well-done figure, as is Postosuchus even though it's now inaccurate about it being a quadruped.
>>
>I highly value scientific accuracy
>Let's put a saddle on the dinosaur and stormtrooper on it
>???
PROFIT

It's about scientific accuracy in dinosaur toys guys
>>
>>6284081
Of course, we wouldn't want to change our pure and always right bias...er, science.
>>
>>6284081
its about 'scientific accuracy' of the figure itself, anything else is fair game.
>>
>>6284099
They know that. It's just featherfags being salty.
>>
>>6284099
No. You're only allowed to pose these figures in scientifically accurate poses while placing them on scientifically accurate surfaces with scientifically accurate backdrops.
>>
>>6284081
He's got a point. Lets face it the only reason they got feathers is because this guy is on a crusade to fulfill his ego. Feathered friends? these people are not.
>>
>>6284102
>featherfags being salty.
im pretty sure that is more likely to be the 'scalefags' being salty since its all about trying to say he is being a hypocrit about this line being about scientific accuracy. But I know it is neither side, just a troll trying to bait.
>>
>>6284141

Featherfags are the ones that ruin these threads time and time again.
>>
File: work light.jpg (274KB, 973x1000px) Image search: [Google]
work light.jpg
274KB, 973x1000px
>>6280135
They do have a nice, timeless appeal to them. Think I've got that tall one in a box somewhere.

Honestly I wish Silva's Kickstarter the best of luck and will probably buy a figure or two. It'd be nice if it was successful enough and other manufacturers followed suit with their own articulated dinos but that's probably wishful thinking. Scales or feathers? If they've got joints I want them both.
>>
>>6284349
Riiiight...
Featherfags will at most joke with a >nofeathers
Nostalgiafags on the other hand will just never stop bitching about chickens and shit.
There's only one wrong side in this, let's not pretend they are equal.
>>
>>6284598
^^This guy gets it.
>>
>>6284598

I like you anon, you are good people.
>>
>>6280235

I have noticed that dinosaur has popped up a bit more in recent years like Dino Trux and The Good Dinosaur. Jurassic World had some decent ones too.
>>
>>6284702
It definitely felt like there was a surge of Jurassic World is coming out, we should all start doing dinosaur stuff again.
JP Seems pretty influential among dinosaurs like that.
>>
>>6264659
I would I go about adding faux feathers to a dinosaur like this to add a more realistic effect instead of merely sculpted feathers?
Thread posts: 152
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.