[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BJD/Asian Doll Thread: "Laundry Day" Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 325
Thread images: 80

File: 32048766511_f02f8e5966_o.jpg (416KB, 1500x1002px) Image search: [Google]
32048766511_f02f8e5966_o.jpg
416KB, 1500x1002px
Last thread >>6225598

FAQs:
/toy/ - bjd.buyfags.moe
/jp/ - dollfaq.buyfags.moe

Doll news and company list:
>http://bjdcollectasy.com/
>http://bjdcollectasy.com/companies-other-links/

WIP Database/Height comparison:
>dollection.fi

Doll magazine scans (patterns!):
>plus.google.com/112174196208952755265/photos

Common sealants for faceups (there are more, but these are most frequently used):
>Mr. Super Clear Flat/Matte (UV-cut is preferred)
>Testor’s Dullcote (tends to get dirty easily)
>Citadel Purity Seal
>Zoukeimura Finishing Powder (it’s a spray by Volks)
>Liquitex Matte Medium (airbrush)

The general population of /bjd/ are anti-recast or are pretty much neutral on the subject.
Stop beating the dead horse every thread by asking.

Our threads are mostly dedicated to Ball-jointed dolls and other dolls in the Asian market.

Thunderbolt Fantasy is puppets. Not BJDs.
>>
File: 6131991413_5a60dd8cb3_b.jpg (204KB, 1024x684px) Image search: [Google]
6131991413_5a60dd8cb3_b.jpg
204KB, 1024x684px
Recap of last thread:

> Posing dolls is hard
Especially big ones.

>Miro did it again...or did they?
Miro made a head that looks very much like a Iplehouse Roger from the front, but the profile is all fucked.

>Dolls and their boxes
Generally assume they will come with some kind of nice box, even if it isn't mentioned on a website.

>Cartoony dolls
Sadly not much available.
Simple aesthetic like Bluefairy, or straight cartoon like Bishonen House is an option.

>Airbrush recommendations
Look into airbrush forums, be willing to spend some serious money (at least 300$) for a long lasting setup.

>Tips on face-up removal
Get Mr. Thinner/rubbing alcohol, magic eraser, toothbrush, q-tips and toothpicks.
Scrub, rinse with water once in a while.

>Tips on DD face-ups
Work slow, sketch eye shapes before on paper.

>Grail dolls
Congrats to anon on getting their grail doll with outfit!

>Elfgutz = Gutterface?
Nope. Two different people.

>Where to sell when you aren't part of the community?
Try Facebook groups.

>How to paint teeth
Finish lips first, seal, then paint the teeth. Use masking tape to cover the lips and avoid smearing paint on them.

>Decent doll chats?
Discord exists, but it's often TMI and very whiny. Maybe a /bjd/ one should be created?

>Recasting parts for yourself?
Difficult topic. No matter what, don't sell your casts.

>Fiber options if you want natural looks without animal cruelty
Go for plant based ones, synthetic or animal friendly sourced ones

>Animetic eyes in non-DDs?
Possible, but can look bad.

>MIro/Sicktress female muscled body
What the fuck

>Doll Patterns?
Check our link in the OP for some patterns.

>Buying dolls from Taobao
Shipping can be crazy on big dolls, MSD and smaller are fine. Watch out for recasts.

>Buyfag Guide
There's a 2.0 version that might be suitable to replace our current guide (will repost link in a minute)
>>
File: 33016357350_a54c2f0ddd_h.jpg (318KB, 1600x1068px) Image search: [Google]
33016357350_a54c2f0ddd_h.jpg
318KB, 1600x1068px
Here's a link to a possible replacement of our current Buyfag guide:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1grB6HlGb8DHzvNp0_dtJePXvazwUNW0bsfVN2Svzl0g/edit

(for some reason the board refuses to accept shortened links)

Please have a look and say what you think, what should be added, what's missing.
There's no company/tier list currently to avoid a badly aging guide or one that is too heavily based on personal preferences.
Formatting is currently fucked, but it's probably best to fix that when copying the content into the current link.
>>
>>6259469
im still here. i can edit the old guide/add editors...

nevermind its not worth it
>>
>>6259433
>>6259469
Fuck! these pictures are amazing.
>>
File: DSCF6848.jpg (419KB, 1224x816px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF6848.jpg
419KB, 1224x816px
>>6259469
>>6259433
Whoever this is, did a really awesome job with the props.
>>
>>6259664
>nevermind its not worth it

Huh, why?

>>6259792
>>6259882
Here's the artist:
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/98084350@N05/

She's serious “goals“ because all her dolls are SD and bigger and she still manages to make those lovely and realistic settings, despite the size.
>>
I've been loosely threatening to order four of these from taobao. Last time I mentioned it someone here said they had ordered them but shipping was really high. With fees before shipping four would be $64... or I can get them from Alice Collection for $109 and free shipping. Anyone here have these? Do you think four (3 SD 1 MSD) would run me more than $45 to ship?
>>
File: IMG_2006.jpg (77KB, 469x1253px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2006.jpg
77KB, 469x1253px
>>6260470
Fucking mobile posters dropping this pics every fuckin time.
>>
>>6260471

I have one I bought from alice collections and honestly I don't like it. It's fine for dollfie dreams but it's to weak to hold up my supergems and the place where it connects to the base is pretty rickety.

I have no idea how they got it to hold up an SD resin doll off the ground for that picture at alice collection because mine can't even hold up an SD with its feet on the ground.
>>
>>6260480
I do have just dollfie dreams, so that's good anyway? I don't have any other SDs. I'm having a hard time finding a nice looking comparable stand. No way am I paying $50+ when I need 4. Mostly I just want to display them standing in my room.
>>
>>6260567
If you just want to display them in your room you can get more stable, wooden stands for cheaper.
They look a little more classy and have more weight. Bonus point: they are used by regular doll people too, so they are easy to get on ebay and co.
There are ones that attach at the waist and ones with a saddle for the crotch.
Is there a reason you want this certain model?

The ones with the bendy arm and clear base are mostly for photo purposes.
They aid in posing and are easy to edit out.
Especially when you have to use more than one to keep a pose.
I would never have my doll constantly stand around with just one of them to be honest.

Agree with >>6260480 though, I have no fucking clue how they managed to hold up a big resin doll on their pictures.
>>
>>6260581
Well, I wouldn't mind using them for photos, either. I don't particularly want to use varnished wood stands (stain risk usually) or deal with unsightly oversize metal arms if you're thinking of what I am with the metal-held wood-base stand. I have a couple of pic related for other dolls, and they're pretty flimsy. I'm constantly tightening the base screws to hold on the arm and the waist pinch is pretty ugly and snags clothes with its wire. There are some white kaiser stands for 14"-22" fashion dolls but I'm not sure if those are big enough?

I haven't seen many saddle options available for a reasonable price, so if you have a lead on something or I'm off-base on any of this, I'm looking for decent stands (3 Sd/1 MSD) for under $109 total. I'd prefer white or clear, though
>>
>>6260601
Hmm, hmm, mine are similar. But I also have very big dolls in mostly huge, frilly dresses and such (the stands are barely visible and I put the pinch under the dress, and they fit their fashion).

White or clear is impossible when you want something stable, I fear.
I only saw white with metal bases, which are super flimsy and wonky on top, and the clear ones always have very thin bases.
Fuck, I have one in clear with movable arms for my Blythe/Pullips and even that one sucks, even though those dolls are very light.

I think the clear ones would work better if you can find one with a bigger base. Not thicker, just more covered surface so it doesn't get kicked over at the slightest movement.
>>
>>6260480
I don't mean this condescendingly at all anon, but are you sure you have them screwed on right? I don't have one but a lot of my friends do and at first some of them had similar complaints about the base of the arm, but it turns out they had screwed them on wrong.

I've seen them do crazy impressive things with those stands like a one lidded leaning forward pose or even floating poses with the two pronged version. And with 70+cm dolls and heavy iplehouse dolls too.
>>
sighs
>>
>>6261450
The fuck
>>
File: toy_figure_stand.jpg (52KB, 791x609px) Image search: [Google]
toy_figure_stand.jpg
52KB, 791x609px
>>6260601
Would pic work. Available in black or white options. (I was thinking of getting a couple for my 18" figures.)
>>
>>6261450
Please say that's paint because I'd buy it up to save it
>>
>>6259462
Taobao doll anon here, I ended up just biting the bullet and buying from Spiritdoll directly. Shipping was 105 but im sure it would have been more on taobao
>>
>>6261677
The person selling it posted on fb that it was sealed before painting.
>>
>>6261711
Not same anon but, how much? and where on fb?
>>
>>6261769
No price given and they want to trade it.
It's listed in the "BJD Addicts Commissions and Sales" group.
>>
>>6261769
Also their ig is milky._.bee or something.
>>
>>6259469
I actually like the new guide a lot. It looks okay on my big screen. Thanks for picking up the torch.

>>6261450
That poor Bleater.

>>6261501
That's an interesting stand, but it has so many areas that could easily go wrong for a larger resin doll. It would probably be fine for a vinyl doll, though, depending on how heavy their clothes/accessories are.
>>
>>6261501
That looks like a pretty neat stand anon, but what's the source on it?
>>
Is anyone else in here a fan of KDoll? She doesn't release sculpts often but here's progress of her newest one:
>>
>>6261774

I would not subject another doll to that owner.
>>
>>6262065
https://www.monstersinmotion.com/cart/hobby-supplies-customizing-accurizing-c-17_254/action-figure-stand-deluxe-18-with-display-plate-white-p-20261
>>
>>6260601
Psst, I've used the white metal Kaiser ones in that size with my DD and it works alright. Dollmore makes similar ones with flat bases (slightly easier to stand on with some shoes) and black metal, if you prefer those, but a little more expensive and more shipping. I have the 'flying' stand too, was disappointed bc I did buy it for my resins, but it works fine with DD. It's like having a figma stand for them...which is what I thought the official Volks DD stand would be like, because that one LOOKS exactly like a figma stand, but that one is a pain and finicky, I got fed up and sold mine.
>>
File: miromuscle.png (208KB, 955x731px) Image search: [Google]
miromuscle.png
208KB, 955x731px
Can someone explain why the Mirodoll Muscle Girl body was posted on Sicktress' tumblr with a caption that makes it sound as though she's the one sculpting it for them? Wtf is up with that? I've never heard of a Western hobbyist being commissioned to sculpt for a preexisting Asian company...

It looks pretty bad so far but it's also an early WIP, and most of the process of making a sculpt look good/right comes after this stage, so hopefully it improves. Sicktress always seemed to have a decent sense of aesthetics, I will be surprised if this is her idea of a well sculpted and finished body.
>>
>>6262869
I could be wrong but I think Mirodoll's Mika sculpt was also made by a western artist.
That muscular body looks terrible but it'll definitely get a lot of praise because of "diversity" and what not.
>>
>>6262869
Sicktress has always been a big fan/advocate of Mirodoll, so maybe she was able to talk to them about making a body for them? She does seem to be the one making it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/93632126@N06/sets/72157678516571403
>>
>>6263035
Edit: ugh, wrong link. I wanted to link specifically to this update photo:
https://flic.kr/p/S8RwyQ
>>
File: 25308170400_b1a8e80be9_b.jpg (237KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
25308170400_b1a8e80be9_b.jpg
237KB, 1024x683px
>>6262869
Yeah, the body is sculpted by Sicktress for Miro. I guess because she always had a hard-on for them (since she's super cheap) and wanted an easy and cheap source for this body she asked them if she can sculpt a body and they will include it in their line-up.

Also even if she has a decent sense for aesthetics, she suffers a lot from a lack of experience and especially patience.
Too many of her works were damaged or just 50% done because she's one of those "It says it needs to dry 24 hours, but I touched it after five minutes already" people.
She can't wait at all.
>>
>>6262869
>take a guy
>shrink waist
>slap on some tiddies
>call it a muscle girl
kids these days
>>
Drama alert on PSP and Boyviscera. They're both shit and they're fighting over a shitty doll.
>>
File: IMG_4652.jpg (127KB, 637x901px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4652.jpg
127KB, 637x901px
>>6263572
It's so fucking stupid. They have nothing in common but the sculpt it looks like (and that they're both ugly...although Pintsize might have improved a little since it doesn't entirely look like Sharpie this time)
>>
>>6263572
I love that drama! I hope it keeps getting dragged on. Boyviscera is a total retard though.
>>
>>6263589
He's the fucking worst. He always perpetuates drama and then wants to act like a victim.
>>
>>6263587
I just want to know how you fuck up a faceup this badly. Even my first attempts didn't look like I took a Sharpie and some oil to my doll's face.
>>
>>6263587
they're both shit but they look nothing alike
>>
>>6261288

I've got it screwed in as tight as it will go and there's really only one way to do so I'm pretty sure it the right way.

I'd really like to know how your friend managed to pull that off because I have a bunch of soom dolls with fantasy legs and after a day in the stand the arm is sagging and the base will be loose. My beryl has slightly miscast knee joints and is prone to falling and when her legs buckled in the stand it took the arm down with her.
>>
File: img7553xv.jpg (4MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
img7553xv.jpg
4MB, 3000x4000px
>>6262869
Well, since the massive fuckup with the Nobility Doll Muscle woman body, I think companies would rather someone else sculpt it and get input before making another monstrosity like that again.

>>6263587
I don't even think they're the same sculpt. I know the right one is a Lati. The one on the left looks like a Pukifee bordering on Hujoo.
The only real things they have in common is they're tinies and they look like shit.

>>6263624
Seriously. I looked up so many tutorials and read and researched before even attempting stuff like that. I think the third doll I bought was owned by a person like PSP and getting the prior faceup off was impossible due to them not using ANY sealant on the base doll. I really cannot see how people don't do proper research and skimp on important shit like putting a layer of sealant on the blank head before going ape with gross ass paint.
>>
>>6264103
I doubt that the Nobility body actually had an effect on other companies' business practices...

Shame how that turned out though, it's by far best sculpted out of the handful of female bodies (except boypink's upcoming one) but good luck getting it to do literally any pose besides "heap on the ground"
>>
Anyone following the drama with SugarCoatedStars and HighPriestessIce? Basically SCS flipped her shit because HPI sent her an item that arrived broken and, prior to issuing a refund, had the audacity to request a pic. Funny shit, I always got a drama llama vibe from SCS after the "copying muh doll!!" bs and it's nice to be right.

http://sugarcoatedstars.tumblr.com/post/159138745046
>>
File: IMG_4655.jpg (140KB, 569x801px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4655.jpg
140KB, 569x801px
o hey.
Didn't expect him to be teased so soon.
>>
>>6264305
gotta corner the market before Choo does
>>
>>6263678
I'm laughing so hard at this
>>
>>6264339
Holy shit. Which one of you did this?
>>
>>6264216
I know how much HPI stuff costs and I am baffled that SCS acts like she was robbed of hundreds of dollars.
Even though I think the slow communication wasn't great in the beginning it gets obvious that SCS always jumps up at the slightest thing and immediately acts like she got called a liar or thief.
HPI asks for a photo, she loses her shit immediately.

I also don't get how a small doll ring should be shipped to you safe and cheap in anything but a padded envelope. Should she use a big ass box?
>>
>>6264339
Had a good laugh when I scrolled down the comments.

Also the fuck is wrong with Boyviscera.
Love how they go on about being a proud POC and how all white people are ugly and not to be trusted and whatnot but has a whole group mostly consisting of light dolls.
>>
>>6264339
ahaha holy fuck
>>
>>6264339
I'm crying, cheers to dollspirits
>>
>>6264305
He doesn't look like Kirito. Too manry and not uguu kawaii femme looking enough.

>>6264339
kek dollspirits has enough balls to say what everyone's been thinking.
>>
File: corset.png (123KB, 462x682px) Image search: [Google]
corset.png
123KB, 462x682px
Seems like Raouken isn't going to be making corsets anymore…I really wanted to grab one in the future for my Unoa boy, looks like I'll have to stalk her Etsy until the end of the month.
>>
>>6264901
It's always the amazing artists that end up leaving the hobby. I really don't blame her, though. I can only imagine how difficult it must be on her physically to make and embroider such tiny corsets.
>>
>>6264344

Eh that's not really surprising. I'm a PoC and I'd love more dolls with my skintone/features but they're just harder to come by on a budget. I have to but my dolls second hand for the most part so I kinda have to take what's there. Dark resin that isn't resinsoul shit is expensive.
>>
>>6265005
Except that he mostly owns the cheap shit dolls that are all offered in darker skintones too.
He's not having a group full of expensive dolls that were never offered in tan (or darker) or just as limiteds for even more money.
Of course he owns a tan recast though.
>>
>>6265005
Most of his dolls are recasts if not all AFAIK, do recast companies charge for darker colors?
>>
>>6265038
Adding: honestly, if I had such a burning hate for white people like he has I'd rather only have two dolls in my shade instead of a full group of whites. Just makes no sense, even if tan is more expensive with the nicer companies. He's not buying from those anyway.
>>
>>6265042
No clue, but I doubt they charge so much it makes a difference. Unlike some companies were you pay 110$ extra for a shade of brown.
>>
>>6262869
She was asking for feedback earlier and people actually gave her a lot of tips to make it better in the Mirodoll Facebook post. It's good she's not just shutting out the suggestions.

>>6263587
Both faceups look terrible, but nothing alike. It sounds like they want to start up drama just because.

>>6264339
Lmao that's amazing.
>>
>>6265042
A trip to aliexpress tells me that they often do, and it's 10-20 usd more.
>>
>>6263993
I looked up the taobao GO post our local community had for those stands, and at the time, a lot of people were having problems because they put them on wrong. The arm goes on the opposite side of the visible slot. Putting the visible slot upright caused most of the problems people in the GO were experiencing with it. But that's only if the problem is that the part by the base is constantly coming loose. Screwing it on wrong also caused one person's stand to nearly break at that area.

But from what you're describing, the arm is also kind of weak. I've handled my friends' stands once or twice, and with the two who's stands I've borrowed, the arms were very tough and took a bit of muscle to change the position of. I dunno what that says, but I can't imagine AC and taobao sellers get it from different sources.
>>
Is there a super secret place somewhere to get fresh(er) Dollybird scans (or at least just the patterns)? I'm trying to find vol. 21 and the last one in the g+ dump is 20.
>>
>>6265467
I have 22. Do you have a Kinokuniya near you? They have the Dollybird series in the same section as the cosplay pattern magazines. I'm not saying you SHOULD take photos of the patterns on your phone, just that you can.
>>
>>6265530
No, nothing like this, I'm a yuropoor from a small town. I guess I'll just buy it for those sweet MDD hoodie patterns.
>>
File: up11771.jpg (197KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
up11771.jpg
197KB, 640x960px
Anyone know what company's head this is? Found the pic on a random anon's post at dollsoku.com
>>
>>6265551
That sucks, anon. I hope you can find it for a good price. For what it's worth, the magazines are actually really fantastic. They're usually very cleanly formatted, too, so the Google Translate app has no problem giving out decent translations.

Too bad there's not some sort of pattern swap community. I'd rather not bend and rip my mooks to scan patterns, but I'd be a lot more willing to do it if I was getting patterns in exchange.
>>
>>6265580
That's a Dollfie Dream Sheryl Nome.
>>
So what happened to that new discord? Did we scrap that?
>>
>>6265968

I dunno but that last post made it sound like an shitty mess.

Arbitrary aesthetic rules (what does no ugly dolls even mean? By whose standards)
No tumblr sjws (why? Are we planning on spamming racial slurs and calling people degenerates and being pro trump in a doll chat? If so it's not even a chat about dolls at that point is it?)
A crazy vetting/password service which sounded complicated and the fact that people wouldn't ever post original content for fear of being ID'd since nobody wants to be associated with the /pol shit hole that is this Malaysian cartoon site.

Sounds like it was doomed to fail from the start.
>>
Okay whats the deal with Pidgin Doll or whatever?
From my limited understanding, the joints are similar to Fairyland so hes been banned and attacked and slandered?
Because there are a fair few other independent doll artists who have very obviously copied fairylands joints and they havent been pitchforked.
Am i missing something?
>>
>>6266046
Yep. I'd rather deal with the occasional awkwardness of the public BJD Discord than with....whatever that mess is.
>>
>>6266266
Yeah you're missing that the arm joints are a direct recast
>>
>>6266266
From the DoA news post, there's pictures of both Pidgin's doll and fairylands, and the joints are exactly the same with no attempt to hide it or change it at all. Huge difference between being "inspired" by a doll (as Pidgin's post claimed) when someone makes their own and copying exact parts of a doll.

I'm not sure which dolls you mean that have also have copied joints, were they copied as obviously as this one was? Honestly curious, this is the first I've seen of such a ridiculously blatant copy of doll parts.
>>
>>6262869
One of the beter tries at a good looking muscular female is in my opinion this one from b-yp-nk. Especially how the boobs have been sculpted to be one with the muscle as it would flow if it was a actual woman of flesh in stead of just blobs on a male chest. More progress and pictures on their instagram for anyone thats curiuos: >https://www.instagram.com/xdissipation/
>>
>>6266452
>in stead of just blobs on a male chest
but that's exactly what boobs are
>>
>>6266452
>Especially how the boobs have been sculpted to be one with the muscle.
LOL breasts are NOT muscle dummy.
>>
>>6266483
I don't think that's what they meant, dummy.
>>
>>6266452
This is a nice body but I like boypink's taller one even better (this one is like 50cm, the taller one is 60+, can't find a pic rn sorry). It's a more overtly 'ripped' form of muscular while still looking good and not cartoonish like Sicktress' (though that one may improve -- but boypink is by far the more experienced and skilled sculptor.)
>>
File: IMG_4673.jpg (95KB, 640x868px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4673.jpg
95KB, 640x868px
>>6266452
>>6266539
Found pic of the taller one, ignore the obviously unfinished scaffolding of the breast area (you can see it coming along in more recent pics), hot damn dat silhouette

>>6266483
They clearly meant 'the boobs don't look like pasted on balloons'
>>
>>6266548
Holy fuck those shoulders and arms. Swoon.
>>
>>6266351
I'm still shocked that MagicTime Doll gets away with it.
>>
File: 32990769803_fa2e658d23_k.jpg (334KB, 1360x2048px) Image search: [Google]
32990769803_fa2e658d23_k.jpg
334KB, 1360x2048px
Sorry for the selfpost. Wanted to see if anyone would be willing to dump good shots of SD16 Megu/Kira?
>>
>>6266351
>>6266270
Ah see I didn't know the joints were straight recasts. I thought it was just copies of the joints made by hand which is why I was surprised people were up in arms, since a few other artists do the same - 'inspired' to copy fairylands jointing principles.
>>
>>6266452
>>6266548
She's a skilled sculptor, and I like the overall look of the body, but it's still not really beefy (especially the small one).
It's more like that sad attempt of Iple's female HID (both versions) to look "Instagram sporty".
The ones who want a beefy woman want that kind of beef that makes you think "yeah, that's a warrior/soldier that could rip your head off with bare hands".

I personally would love something like MGS4 Meryl. Pic related, the concept art for the wedding at the end.
Her arms and back are beefy as fuck and it seems like she could explode out of the dress at any second.
Of course it's funny at first, considering she had been a highly trained soldier her whole life it makes sense though and anything else would have been silly.
>>
>>6267491
The big pumped arms on the 60cm body look exactly like that to me...
Iple HID woman was a huge disappointment who barely looked different from the SID/EID. This one is on the total opposite side of the spectrum imo.
>>
File: IMG_4674.jpg (113KB, 640x610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4674.jpg
113KB, 640x610px
>>6267835
dropped my pic of hueg arms
>>
>>6267835
Sorry, I didn't see the updated pic incl. arms because this >>6266452 doesn't look beefy at all.

The upper arms are great, but I am still waiting till the body is actually finished to be amazed or not.
Too many of those projects either were never finished or got only one detail right.
Currently I fear the arms/neck will be great but the waist/hips too thin, stomach not ripped enough and the legs too.
But it's still a WIP, so we'll see.
>>
>>6267889
(not to mention that 60cm is such a boring size when all super beefy dudes are 70cm and bigger.
Another reason the HID woman failed so hard, we have enough barely sporty women bodies at that size, but barely any female dolls are bigger than 65cm or even 70cm)
>>
I got my F-11 in the mail and I'm pretty excited. Look at this terrible old Volks faceup. She came with red Zouks any everything. Ahh early 2000s trends.
>>
File: dollfie-dream-sheryl-nome.jpg (725KB, 4000x2667px) Image search: [Google]
dollfie-dream-sheryl-nome.jpg
725KB, 4000x2667px
>>6265625
Thanks. Nicely mature eyes and lips for an anime DD. Normally they're too uguu for me.
>>
>>6269072
I've thought about getting eyelashes for my doll, are they glued onto the face or inside the face and come out the eyes? I'm new to the hobby and just don't want to glue anything to the face and risk ruining the paint.
>>
>>6268779
Congrats on the new head! I love seeing ancient default faceups. Is it true that Volks defaults were intended to be used as a 'base' to paint over and elaborate on…? I always see people say that.
>>
>>6269142
You can either glue them into the back and let them curve out from there or glue them onto the...uh...opening?
Basically the blocky area inbetween inside and outside.

First version usually looks a little meh because it makes for a very heavy look and the lashes curve down. They also will get squeezed everytime you move the eyes. The piece of thread the lashes are attached too will be invisible though and they will be shorter without having to cut them.

If you glue them on in the middle you get nice curving up lashes.
However, the thread might be visible and the lashes will be loooong.
Since cutting them usually looks like shit it's best to buy fake lashes with shorter hairs at the sides and to only use those.
The strips with long hair you can use for practicing, just try to find something similar to a doll eye shape and try glueing in the lashes.
>>
>>6269302
I've never heard of using the volks faceups as a 'base'. Way back when they REALLY sucked around 2000, everyone still thought they were great haha. I don't think people repainted as much then IIRC, and those who did were really fancy! This faceup in particular was a FCS faceup though, which would have been custom to someone's request, uhh, I don't think they had great taste though.

Here she is with another of the same sculpt, my first-ever doll. They look very different! the older doll has an amateur faceup by me, about 5 years old.
>>
>>6269302
I've literally never heard anyone say that and I've been around this hobby for too damn long

>>6268779
This gives me pleasant nostalgia feels
>>
Just a quick question, what types of paints would be fine to use on a vinyl doll like a DD? Is just a basic acrylic paint fine to use? I was wanting to painy my doll's nails, whats the likelihood of having the paint come off/stain what it touches?
>>
>>6270465
Acrylic is fine but you need to seal it first and after because it can stain, especially red or pink.

I think you can put a layer of white glue down and paint over that, and then you can peel it off easy when you are done.
>>
>>6270465
You can also seal, gloss, seal, paint, seal for a maximum of protection, in case you want something dark or intense and reduce staining risk. Another layer of gloss at the end for the right look and to keep it from chipping too fast should be done too.

Also thin your paints and maybe try masking the area if you never have painted before, else shit will be messy.
>>
>>6270495
>>6270586
Thanks for the advice guys I appreciate it.
>>
File: df-ari-wink-sairin-le-03.jpg (393KB, 750x513px) Image search: [Google]
df-ari-wink-sairin-le-03.jpg
393KB, 750x513px
>>6269384
Some people didn't mind the old faceups back then. I think Volks's faceup game took a step up when sculpts like Chris/Lucas/F-16/Sasha came out to go in line with the "more realistic" (in quotations, because most bjds did not look realistic at all at that time) aesthetic.

Oldfag test:
I remember back then getting a faceup by Sairin was like holy grail tier.
>>
Update on the muscle body Sicktress is sculpting. Tbh I see improvement.

http://sicktress.tumblr.com/post/159349389681/thank-you-to-everyone-whos-sent-me-feedback-and
>>
>>6271923
I agree, it looks a lot better than it did. It's stylized, but I'm sure people will still eat it up. I wish the back joint looked a bit more even, but it's better than anything my hands could mangle. I think the abs look nice.

8/10 Déesse would make a nice orc on that body.
>>
I've heard of people doing it before but.. is it rude, when selling a doll, to ask the new owner to sell it back to you if they ever want to get rid of it/how would you feel if you bought a doll and the seller asked this of you?
>>
>>6272272
I'd be fucking ecstatic if someone was lined up as a potential customer in the case that I ever resell the doll. The secondhand market is absolute trash right now. I wouldn't mind it at all.
>>
>>6272272
Agree with >>6272291.
As long as you don't pester me about it regularly I'd be cool with it.

However, better wait with saying that AFTER the doll arrived.
Don't do this before (while discussing the sale, during a layaway, in your sales thread etc.), else it makes me fear you will drop out of the sale or not ship the doll at all because you are still too attached.
>>
>>6272291
>>6272505
I ended up asking and they seemed fine with it (thankfully) I have no qualms about selling it, I just .. have grown sentimental and want to make sure the doll has a good owner. Thanks for the input!
>>
>>6266046
Yeah the only real requirement I think we should be concerned with is people being full on lolcow level. Like if old-school DoD would have a thread about you, its probably not the place for you. Most of us I think can handle criticism about our overpriced hunks of plastic so aesthetic is kind of a pointless measure. If anyones up for it I do have a 4chan-specific Kik handle I can start a room with, or I can try to figure out Discord.
>>
>>6273878
This is a pretty good measure because, at the very least, I am so irrelevant in the hobby that I doubt a lot of us would ever be at that level.
Having said that, I don't have kik, do many people?
>>
>>6273878
>>6273891
I also do not have Kik. Discord is really easy to use, though. I'd prefer to use that.
>>
>>6273878
Also more of a fan if discord. Have you ever used Slack, HipChat or Asana, anon? It's basically just a group chat app (with a browser option, that allows you to segment a channel into smaller rooms.

I also like ealistically think if the culture was very frank and no nonsense, that it would naturally weed out anyone who isn't into that.
>>
>>6274140
Fuck my tiny keyboard for all those spelling errors.
>>
File: whats.png (298KB, 600x512px) Image search: [Google]
whats.png
298KB, 600x512px
>>6273878
Not trying to shit on your parade, but aren't you concerned it would only have 0-2 regulars?
Also what can a chat offer that this thread can't? People who are wary of posting their dolls here still won't post them there, any questions/advice etc. would get reposted here anyway for more people to see (and to actually be able to read an answer a couple of days later). Maybe it's just my aversion to chats, but I can't fully understand why wou'd want one (save for talking about off-topic stuff... which would destroy the whole point of a chat made specifically for doll discussions).
>>
almost finished with casting. I think my pigment may have gotten water in it, what I tinted seems to have quite a lot of bubbles in it. Unsure if I should buy more pigments or stick with white- headcap won't be seen and ears can be painted anyway. I think I was thinking light colored ears anyway. I have a bunch of tl;dr on this project, both written up info on the particular sculpt and pieces and the actual process but I'm not sure anyone wants to hear about how many times Volks retooled the F11 head before it was discontinued.
>>
Does anyone know where I can find small Iris/low dome eyes in red?? That also aren't acrylic. I can't seem to find them anywhere :/
>>
>>6274386
How small of an iris? Dollshe urethane are somewhat smaller irises than normal. I think Mako runs a hair small too but domes are higher. Other than that, I think Dollbakery has started doing small iris- but they're also not too 'low' domed.
>>
>>6274387
It's for my iplehouse Aria and I want her eyes to look natural and not so....Uguu. I have some captured in glass eyes for her right now but the iris is a little too large
>>
>>6274391
Try to find some dollshe urethane in your desired size then, they run about a size smaller in iris, and they have a beautiful texture to them.
>>
File: IMG_0218.png (1MB, 980x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0218.png
1MB, 980x900px
Sorry for the newb question but, is the brand Bunny Bunny a recast brand? This doll is really cute but it looks to good to be true considering the full set is around $400
>>
>>6274550
I think the brand is DOLK.
They've been around awhile, not sure of quality though.
>>
>>6274550
She's actually a nine9style doll. I bought her full set so I'll post it when I get it :)
>>
>>6274595
Awesome! She's a beautiful lady congratulations:)
>>
File: 1434826472465.jpg (283KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1434826472465.jpg
283KB, 960x1280px
Hi thread, I've always wanted to build one of these dolls, and especially get the outfit. I'm new to dolls though, what direction should I head to look for this stuff?
>>
>>6274155
>People who are wary of posting their dolls here still won't post them there
Why don't people like to post their dolls here?
>>
Does anyone know what matches dollshe oriental besides the obvious dollstown?
>>
>>6274550
As >>6274595 wrote, Bunny Bunny is what was formerly known as Nine9Style. Nine9Style recently decided to split in to two companies. The Nine9Style company now only sells clothing/accessories, and the new Bunny Bunny company sells dolls. They claim the split was for business purposes (they think it'll somehow be more beneficial?).
>>
>>6274944
It's more confusing than anything.
>>
>>6274386
Beetle BJD eyes. I think KOK Collection stocks them if you can't get them through taobao.
>>
>>6274801
Are you wanting one with the anime aesthetic like in your picture?
>>
File: 20151203061122cont.jpg (2MB, 600x3704px) Image search: [Google]
20151203061122cont.jpg
2MB, 600x3704px
>>6275266
I'm a weaboo but I do appreciate other facial styles. There are some that are a bit... much, however. Pic related looks like she's depressed or doped up, perhaps a little too stylized for me. I've done some looking around in hopes of finding the first outfit I posted, no joy yet, and some doll faces can be really hit or miss. Though, are there faces for specific expressions? That would be alright then.
>>
>>6275275
If you figure out what kind of face you're going for then you can decide on what kind of doll to get. I unfortunately only really know about the anime ones which are Dollfie Dream dolls generally which are made by Volks. Other companies make them too like Azone. I don't know a ton about others though so maybe the others in this thread can help you figure out what you want?
>>
File: 1411031793736.jpg (425KB, 1920x1277px) Image search: [Google]
1411031793736.jpg
425KB, 1920x1277px
>>6275294
I do appreciate you, thank you. I'm reading through the FAQs and pastebins at the moment, I'm hoping I can settle on one soon! There's so many though, it's gonna take me a while to get acquainted with all this. Dolfies have pretty faces, i like them, though some are a touch too childish for me. Azone dolls are interesting, I have a 1/12th actually. I think 1/6th is the scale I want to go for, though. Or at least close, it seems DD goes a little bigger than that.
>>
>>6275324
I ended up going with a DD for my first doll recently which comes in at a 1/3 scale.
>>
File: Eyeland1380698409.jpg (1MB, 1503x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Eyeland1380698409.jpg
1MB, 1503x1000px
>>6275344
I might have to rule Dolfies out, then. I'd like something easier to transport so I can take them out for the day and do some spontaneous photography if I see a good opportunity.
>>
>>6275361
That's understandable to be honest. Alot of people do take their 1/3 scale ones out. Also coming in a little smaller are the Mini Dollfie Dreams which are at a 1/4 scale.
>>
>>6275361
Dollfie Dreams are actually pretty comfortable to carry around with you in a carrying case. They're very light.
>>
File: 1150030000362.jpg (135KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
1150030000362.jpg
135KB, 480x720px
>>6275369
I'm just not sure how I'd transport a 1/3 scale. 1/4 is more manageable but from the Volks website it seems like they go for a younger appearance. At least I can narrow makers down by scale now.
>>
>>6275378
Yeah >>6275377 is right, they don't weigh much at all. Pick what you think is going to be best for you though okay?
>>
>>6275377
A carrying case? Why did I not think that would be a thing. They look rather discrete too. I'm a bit shy about my niche hobbies and like to keep quiet about it. I guess I can put 1/3rd on the table then.
>>
>>6275380
Of course, thank you anon.
>>
>>6274807
Either think their doll will be roasted for not being cute enough or afraid that lurkers will recognize their dolls from elsewhere and start a "mean racist 4chan doll owners" list.
>>
>>6275275
I don't think you're going to find that exact outfit unless it was a company release. It looks pretty elaborate which tends to mean it was a one off from someone on Y!J.
>>
File: IMG_2162.jpg (1MB, 2640x3804px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2162.jpg
1MB, 2640x3804px
>>6275381
I have known people to use cloth gun cases or yoga mat bags too depending on what you think would look more subtle.

Also I'm having fun with this girl. I was going to keep her sweet looking but she might need the attitude. Thinking I'll call her Miri.
>>
>>6275689
I really like her sassy face, but I think Volks cat ears in general look dumb because there's almost always gaps if they're not wearing something like a poofy mohair wig.

I know, I know, inb4
>stop hating what I like
You can like what you like. It's just tricky to make it look good.
>>
>>6275874
I get you. This mold was my first doll back in the day so I'm real nostalgic about it, gaps an all. Back then it didn't really bother me (or most) because there weren't really any other options. And they hadn't really used magnets with BJDs yet so that wasn't considered an option.

I've always liked the proportion of these ears to the head though, they're so tall and cat-like compared to other resins with their smaller ears. Also, I do think it solves the double ear issue best of any sculpt I can think of-- I've never liked the double-ear effect.
>>
File: VLBOPIBQ1.jpg (43KB, 277x444px) Image search: [Google]
VLBOPIBQ1.jpg
43KB, 277x444px
>>6274801
That specific outfit is from Angell-Studio but it's sold out in that size. (MSD or 1/4)

There are endless bjd companies out there, but the anime look of that BJD is pretty uncommon. How much are you looking on spending? If you want an affordable doll in that size, you can always buy an obitsu. Did you read the FAQs?
>>
>>6276202
Thank you anon!!!
>but it's sold out in that size.
I'll have to watch in case it ever comes back

>There are endless bjd companies out there
There really are x.x
>but the anime look of that BJD is pretty uncommon
It's not necessary!
>How much are you looking on spending?
I think I can do a couple hundred, but if I start to near 1k it's probably gonna turn me off to getting one.
>obitsu
I will give them a look!
>Did you read the FAQs?
Yeah, I spent a couple hours last night reading and browsing different stores, not finished though.
>>
File: DSC_0011.jpg (94KB, 650x1061px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0011.jpg
94KB, 650x1061px
My dollshe order came, and now my LLT Neil has a body! It came faster than I expected, I ordered christmas eve, and the way dollshe is right now, I didn't expect it until june, so I'm very happy. I didn't even order him clothes yet because I seriously thought the wait would be longer, but anywho... It's a perfect match color and size wise. I love when shit comes together just as you imagined.
>>
>>6276449
Gorgeous! Congrats.
May I ask if it's in the honey or pure resin?
>>
>>6276480
His head is in LLT white skin, his body is in pure resin in "fresh". Supposedly oriental is also a good match for LLT normal skin. I would have ordered him in normal skin, which I prefer, but at the time I didn't know what body I was going to use, and thought that white skin would give me more options.
>>
>>6276495
Thank you very much for the information :)
Do you plan on ever body blushing him? or do you prefer blank bodies?
>>
>>6276513
I've never actually done body blushing, though I do like how it looks. I just feel that it's going to chip and look ugly so there's no point. I might do his hands though, as they just look way too big and white.
>>
Hey guys I wanted to redo my doll's faceup but when I removed the old one its stained something dark like dirt on one cheek, it wont sand off. The Doll also has staining in the crevices of the lips and ears. I got her secondhand and the owner had not known how to do faceups very well at the time and im concerned that they did not use a protective seal layer that it will not come out. Ive already tried magic eraser and acetone/rubbing alchohol. Anyone know if my doll's face is doomed?
>>
>>6276517
Fair enough. I love the look of body blushing too but never been a fan of it because of the chipping issue. I was excited to see it because I figured since your faceups are amazing, your body blushing would be the same.

On another topic, I bought my first tan skin doll from dollshe (my first time ordering from him as well) I'm nervous since I never handled a tan resin, are there any precautions I have to take when removing faceups? I ordered the Pure resin if anyone is interested.
>>
>>6276517
>>6277681
Does anyone know of sealant/materials that don't chip? I have a doll I bought off Dollyteria that came with bodyblushing and I adore it- it's even inside her joints and hasn't chipped. I don't even care if it's stained on, that would be ideal desu, but I'm terrified of it chipping one day and not being able to get the same look since I've grown so fond of it.
>>
>>6277697
Sorry if I'm not of any help but I don't think there's any sealant that won't ever chip. I could be wrong though so if anyone knows pls correct me. But in my experience, I've only used Testor's dullcote and the Liquitex matte medium (with airbrush) and they both chip.
>>
File: wewzers.png (589KB, 600x597px) Image search: [Google]
wewzers.png
589KB, 600x597px
No comment...
>>
>>6277831
It physically pains me to look at this, holy shit what the fuck
>>
>>6277831
Might as well just take a dump on a head and call it art.
>>
Is it possible to straighten a wavy wig?
>>
>>6275381
>>6275689
I have one of the Volks violin cases. It seems to be an actual violin case that just has added straps inside, so it would be very easy to make one yourself should you want to.
>>
>>6277915
A violin case isn't as low profile as their regular bag, though.
>>
>>6276212
>I'll have to watch in case it ever comes back
Many items like that are limited run, but since you know the manufacturer and the name of the outfit on the site, you might be able to track it down secondhand somewhere.
>>
>>6276517
A friend of mine does her blushing on neck and hands rather than full body and along joints, but she also prefers her dolls in certain outfits so thats usually all that shows.
>>
>>6277831
Is that a sewing machine needle

why
>>
>>6277916
True, but I actually prefer it to my other bags because its a solid hard case and feels way more protective.
>>
>>6277924
>>6277916
Plus, people think you're a musician, and musicians are cool.
>>
>>6277917
I hope so!
>>6277915
>>6277916
>>6277936
I'd rather people not ask me about my nonexistent violin skills, though.
>>
File: tumblr_m7618zTfF81qlr64zo1_.jpg (178KB, 640x494px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m7618zTfF81qlr64zo1_.jpg
178KB, 640x494px
>>6276517
I feel you anon.
When I started the hobby years ago I blushed my first three dolls and regretted it quickly. Afterwards I maybe blushed their hands, but else I pretty much gave up on that.
I love the look, but it's not worth the hassle and when it starts to chip I am forced to edit it on pictures. Hate it when people have heavily blushed dolls and you can see the chips and rubbed off spots in all the pictures.

>>6277681
Which skintone is he exactly?
Copper, Pure Tan, Tan or Ebony?
On Pale Tan and darker painting and removing face-ups is quite the task. The skintones are so dark most sealants will frost, painting is hard because most colors will not be very visible unless you go full blown colorful.
If you remove a face-up you will have to spend quite some time to get the tan to look good again, because on darker skintones the sealant residues and the magic eraser dust is VERY visible.
When you clean make sure to regularly rinse with water while the head is still wet from alcohol, that way you can actually rinse off the residues instead of just scrubbing it around.

Source: I own a fuckton of tan dolls, incl. one pale tan Dollshe (two in the past).
Oh, the inside of the joints will after a while have white resin dust, and if you suede them with glue it might scratch the joints. Better go for moleskine.

>>6277697
Agree with other anon, as far as I know there is nothing that won't chip sooner or later.
Since most sealants are just an extra layer on the surface that, kinda, bonds to the surface but is not really attached to it you can nibble everything off.

From my own experience the Vallejo Premium Matt varnish for airbrush can be pretty tough after a few layers, but you need an airbrush for it.
Some people had good results with Mod Podge, but it needs a looong time to dry, so you need to be patient.
>>
File: 7158884142_9fe4642081_b.jpg (168KB, 424x1024px) Image search: [Google]
7158884142_9fe4642081_b.jpg
168KB, 424x1024px
>>6277897
Depends on the wig, but if it's a heat resistant one or one made of natural fibers (which behaves more or less like human hair), yes.
You can gently poor warm water on it or even use a straightening iron, just make sure to take it slow and don't bump up the heat right away. Test first how the hair behaves on lower temperatures and then slowly go higher.

>>6277652
Hm, do you have a picture anon?
Usually while removing staining does not happen, since stains need some time to form. It might be that the stains were already there and you just made them visible by removing the paint on top.

Is the surface the stains are on completely smooth? Since you sanded them I assume yes, i.e. it's definitely not caked on residues.
If you can't even sand them out I fear you are doomed.
Is the head resin? If it's vinyl you might still have a chance with some oxy paste (look up tutorials on how to remove vinyl stains).
I sadly have no clue if it works on resin too, none of my resin dolls was ever stained.
>>
>>6278096
Thank you very much for all the information about tans. I bought a pale tan erica. The actual faceup I don't worry about since I plan on giving her a glam bright makeup. I only worried about the removal process because I didn't know how the dye would react with the solvent (I only use alcohol and magic eraser). Thanks so much though. It is very helpful.
>>
>>6277831
I can understand experimenting but why post the obvious failures on the internet?
>>
File: 1456415651_56464.jpg (438KB, 680x1023px) Image search: [Google]
1456415651_56464.jpg
438KB, 680x1023px
>>6278316
No problem.
A glam face-up will look pretty cool on the dark skintone and it's way easier than a natural look.

The dye itself is very deep on Dollshe's casts, so you don't have to worry about altering it with alcohol and the magic eraser.
Just the mentioned residues and the magic eraser dust makes it difficult because it takes forever till all the white dust and smears are completely wiped. Till the end it's probably better to switch to a toothbrush, to avoid the magic eraser dust.

>>6278387
I fear this is not what they think of as experimenting. This was done on purpose, not a failed try for something different.
I mean, how hard do you need to fail on something to get...this?
>>
>>6278097
Not sure, it's a wavy smart doll wig I got cheap.
>>
>>6276449
Ayyy, I ordered my Saint in September and he just arrived too.

That is a great match and looks nice proportionally.

>>6277652
I had a doll like this. I had to have a good go with Windsor and Newton brush cleaner (this may not work depending on your head-- this was a Soom) and a toothbrush. It was a huge effort.

>>6277697
Damasquerade experimented with Mod Podge of all things and it seems to work when done correctly (i.e., wait a minimum of 6 WEEKS to dry before putting the doll back together).

>>6278413
So many people in general lack self awareness. The BJD community attracts them like fleas.
>>
>>6278811
I used mod podge on some airbrushed mods and I just waited 24-48 hrs. No issues.
>>
>>6277681
>>6278096
And for the love of god don't follow Kaykes fucking advice to rub coconut oil on it to remove frosting.
>>
File: shit-tastic.png (558KB, 477x600px) Image search: [Google]
shit-tastic.png
558KB, 477x600px
>>6279314
Excuse me? Who is this Kike person and why do they want people to ruin their dolls??? Oil on resin sounds like such a shitty idea. Don't tell me there are actual people who try it...

Since every senpai here loved that other picture of the tortured doll so much here's another one.
>>
>>6279360
holy shit, is the person who makes this a delusional ~artiste~ or an honest to god psychopath
>>
File: hmmm.png (549KB, 811x597px) Image search: [Google]
hmmm.png
549KB, 811x597px
>>6279418
The person appears to be in the same circlejerk group of friends as boyviscera so that kind of explains the stupidity.
>>
>>6279428
is that a fucking bird wishbone around his nose
I'm gonna have to look at pictures of MDDs for two hours to cleanse my sight
>>
File: DDH01custom.jpg (377KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
DDH01custom.jpg
377KB, 600x900px
>>6279437
Take this to lower the pain.
>>
File: 209627605.jpg (280KB, 785x523px) Image search: [Google]
209627605.jpg
280KB, 785x523px
>>6279428
The fucking thing on its nose...I also don't get how glittery stars = dead person.
>>
File: efd49f15.jpg (107KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
efd49f15.jpg
107KB, 720x540px
>>6279437
it will all be ok. look, this doll is in a bag! what is she doing in there?!
>>
>>6279515
>>6279578
thanks, guys, I feel much better
>>
File: desudesu.png (561KB, 525x596px) Image search: [Google]
desudesu.png
561KB, 525x596px
Sugoi desu!
>>
>>6279956
Is that the guy from Frozen?! Christoph?
>>
>>6280059
Yes, someone loved him so much that they went as far as to sculpt/mod a OOAK bjd head of him.
I honestly don't get it LOL
>>
File: 51378674337461.jpg (107KB, 1024x746px) Image search: [Google]
51378674337461.jpg
107KB, 1024x746px
>>6280098
I mean he's at least recognizable.
>>
Kinda of a newbie here, I have an ai doll and want to get more into this stuff.

How good is Junkyspot? I'm a poorfag, so I'm limited to ABS basically, and I like the look of the 11 cm obitsu body with a parabox momo or petite fairy head.

But I also really like the looks of the 23cm soft bust obitsu bodies.
>>
>>6280265
Junkyspot isn't bad to buy from I think, besides that they have old dolls in stock so the doll you order could turn up yellowed. Since you're going for something ABS, I don't think that's a problem. They're known to send snacks/freebies, and I believe they have good shipping time.
>>
File: pepe.png (95KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
pepe.png
95KB, 800x600px
>Pointed out tan unoas "birthmarks" look lewd a few months back
>Tan unoa girls now come with panties
>Mfw
>>
File: kayketinyscreengrab.png (430KB, 962x1524px) Image search: [Google]
kayketinyscreengrab.png
430KB, 962x1524px
Kayke looks to be up to some kind of.... oddness again.
>>
>>6280710
Capitalising on that good old Enaibi-copying money.
>>
File: tumblr_oofgcsXnqV1rascg6o2_540.jpg (30KB, 414x810px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oofgcsXnqV1rascg6o2_540.jpg
30KB, 414x810px
>>6280710
jfc
>>
>>6280857
looks like a mix between enaibi and kinoko juice. shameful.
>>
>>6280710
>>6280858
garbage
>>
>>6280098
Frozen fans are a whole other ball of crazy.

>>6280265
As potato as their site is, I haven't heard a lot of bad things about them.

>>6280454
Kek

>>6280880
Was about to say, those feet remind me so much of Kinoko Juice Kikipop. This thing looks like a troll.
>>
>>6279360
Kayke is a faceup artist/doll sculptor that is ~famous~ I guess for her overdone dark eyeshadow and pearl powder style. Admittedly she's good at tattoos when she actually takes the time for it. But she's got some weird black fetish and works on a ton of tan/ebony dolls and somehow came to the conclusion that rubbing them with coconut oil after a faceup will remove the frosty white mist look of sealant. The posts talking about it are probably still somewhere on her Tumblr (though as a warning to the curious, she does also occasionally post gross TMI shit)
>>
>>6280265
They're fine to buy from. Theres a reputation to their forum of being poorfag weebs that think Volks owners are out to get them, but I think its all but dead at this point so don't worry about it.
>>
>>6280710
The head looks very Monster High too. I guess she just really liked painting those...
>>
File: dz_gene_11.jpg (93KB, 670x1005px) Image search: [Google]
dz_gene_11.jpg
93KB, 670x1005px
I have been waiting for a a cute demon boy to dress up, and I really like the body sculpt + hands + wings, but I don't really like the face sculpt. How hard is it to sell heads like his?

And how much would a full body blush on a guy like this be? Don't care for the tattoo that the fullset comes with.
>>
File: 9367162182_677e491c29_o.jpg (162KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
9367162182_677e491c29_o.jpg
162KB, 500x750px
>>6281051
DZ heads are wonky af, so unless you find someone who's really into the face and doesn't want to wait six months you will probably not get it sold that fast, especially not for much money.

In case you mean custom blushing, depends on the artist you commission.
I bet you could ask DZ to blush him and not add the tattoo though, might be easier.
Just keep in mind it will rub off fast and they also blush the joints.
>>
with the side view i finally get what this doll reminds me of. Anyone else get sucked into playing that late 90s PC game Creatures as a kid? it totally looks like Norn hybrid.
>>
File: 15454713136_2ef74f39df.jpg (44KB, 335x500px) Image search: [Google]
15454713136_2ef74f39df.jpg
44KB, 335x500px
Is it weird to suddenly hate a doll that you loved so much before? I'm feeling like this right now about one of my dolls. It was the only doll that kept me in the hobby years ago. It was my most inspirational doll. I'd never thought of selling it, yet I can't stand to look at it anymore. I don't know why. I never changed her faceup, clothes or anything to make me hate it so I have no idea what's happening.
>>
>>6281028
Kayke didn't invent that method and it's not the method.

It's rubbing a small amount of oil onto the doll after you sand it to remove the color difference between tan skin and sanded tan skin. Not over faceup sealant. It was suggested several years ago on tumblr/a recast forum and it does actually work. The oil works like a polishing agent. I did it on a recast about four to five years ago now and that doll shows no seam lines or negative effects from use of oil.
>>
>>6281645
Maybe you need to update her some. You may have changed even though she hasn't.
>>
>>6280710
>>6280858
I enjoy showing the shit show dolls to my friends who know nothing about dolls and listening to their screams of "OH MY GOD WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?!"
>>
File: tumblr_ooh5fv38q81rascg6o4_540.jpg (62KB, 474x810px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ooh5fv38q81rascg6o4_540.jpg
62KB, 474x810px
Adding some more "accessories" to her... thing.
>>6281773
That's pretty fucken brutal. I'm gonna start doing that.

>>6281645
Definitely try mixing up her style; the problem might be that you WANT to change but think you don't.
>>
Correct me if I'm wrong, anons, but the reason people shouldn't use enamel paint on BJD is because they can stain them right? Is that the only concern? Or are there other potential side effects to worry about?
>>
>>6282127
I can eat your sealant and pastels/other paints if used improperly as well, and can be difficult to remove.
>>
>>6282132
>I can eat your sealant and pastels/other paints if used improperly as well, and can be difficult to remove.
I bet cheaper pastels have a pleasant crunch to them
>>
File: tumblr_kxfwyklzdn1qa340go1_400.jpg (234KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_kxfwyklzdn1qa340go1_400.jpg
234KB, 400x600px
>>6282127
I tested them out on some airbrush pieces, and it's true that they like to eat away acrylic paint and pastels too. It also ate the new Vallejo Metal Colors line, even though I sealed the paint before and let it dry and cure for several days.

MSC seems to be strong enough to deal with it when I spray it on lightly, but I only got effect paints (i.e. pearl and such) and don't do full, thick layers with them.
I definitely would not use them for regular face-ups, also because of the staining issue, and there is honestly no need to.
Acrylic paints are cheap, easy to thin, smell better, have the same colors.

>>6282138
hehe
>>
>>6281895
The face is so punchable
>>
>>6282138
The good quality ones are too soft to be crunchy.

>>6282147
If you don't run away screaming
>>
File: Screenshot_20170416-103105.png (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170416-103105.png
1MB, 1080x1920px
Ewww first Kayke's abomination, now Pintsizedpalace's sculpture diarrhea. Damn can't believe she was confident enough to want to sell it to the public. I'd bury that crap in shame in hopes of nobody finding it.
>>
>>6281666
>>6281895
Thanks anons. I'll definitely try changing her wardrobe and faceup. I used to think since everything was perfect there is no need for a change. I probably got bored of it unknowingly
>>
>>6282329
At least the caption is honest and accurate.
>>
>>6281895
It's like a wannabe monster high doll.
>>
File: ooo.png (770KB, 745x721px) Image search: [Google]
ooo.png
770KB, 745x721px
LMFAO
>>
>>6282834
jfc. im not sure whats more unsettling, the sculpt itself of the severe acne it seems to have D:
>>
File: Staredog.jpg (55KB, 635x480px) Image search: [Google]
Staredog.jpg
55KB, 635x480px
>>6282834
I know what meme this reminds me of!
>>
>>6283015
Bad Taxidermy: BJD edition

>>6281895
This looks like a World of Warcraft goblin without ears trying to cosplay as a succubus.
>>
>>6282329
>>6282834
Why...
Just, why?

>>6283125
So, Kayke's turned herself into a doll, essentially.
>>
Does anybody else think that one aspect of our hobby that is severely lacking is shoes? I used to think owners whoes dolls were always barefoot were just lazy cheapskates but finding shoes t g at aren't insanely expensive, horribly out of fashion and made out of a material other than shitty pleather that will disentigrate in a year is fucking impossible.

It feels like the only nice shoes are either for minifee or dollshe dudes.
>>
>>6282834
is that the fucking goth who kid from horton hears a who jesus fuckin christo

THIS is why you should practice airbrushing before buying one and using it loose-cannon like... this...
>>
>>6284495
My dolls barely have a pair of shoes each and they're all slim MSD, simply because I can't find any fucking shoes that are actually worth buying.
>Boots? You want boots? CLUNKY 90S GOTH BOOTS
>Heels? PLATFORM RORI SO KAWAII DESU
>Sneakers? You're in luck! CHUNKY VANS SLIP ONS OR CHUNKY ADIDAS STRIPES?
>>
>>6281650
The caps are lost to time but she definitely at one point advocated it over faceups on her Tumblr. Although I heavily question using any form of natural/plant oil on a plastic when there's a whole industry of hobby polishing agents out there.
>>
>>6284495
>>6284544
I really miss Dale Rae. Cheap plain simple flats and low heels in every color... I still have two pairs of plain white ones that are absolute staples of my girl's wardrobes. All I can find is $50+ dress shoes or chunky old school gothloli heels now.
>>
Ok so since we're on the subject: I want to make sculpted resin shoes. Detailed ones, like Ever After High style, but for bjd. I have a couple questions though that feedback would be great on. One, would jewelry resin work, at least initially? I'm not sure how well this will take off and it seems like little slim mini type shoes wouldn't require that much resin anyway. Two, if making a full shoe proves impractical and I made soles instead, would there be a market for selling them as is so people can make their own cloth tops?
>>
>>6276449
KIVATTO NI IKUZE
>>
>>6284495
I don't mind the expensive part.
At least that means the thing I want is out there.

It's worse when no matter how much money you seem to pull out you still can't find something fitting.
The only doll of mine who has three pairs of shoes is my EID guy, and my SD10 boy has at least two. The rest all has maybe one pair, usually just to cover their feet, and my Super Gem girl has been without since I got her in 2012. In her case you can't see it because of the dresses she wears, but I still hate it.

Most of my guys just wear simple black boots.
At 70cm they also stop looking clunky and you can get nice ones on Taobao.
But the rest...it's just so hard to find certain styles, especially more elaborate ones or non-modern shoes (as in, not outdated but history).
I'm glad I don't collect smaller dolls, because at least for big dolls and especially big female ones you can get a lot of gorgeous modern shoes, especially high heels.

>>6284904
I have a few resin shoes here.
Unless they are for a common foot shape and you use them on the doll they are meant for they are often unusable because they are not flexible. You can soften them up with a hairdryer but it's often not ideal.
Granted those are all high heels, so it's probably better to make shoes for flat feet since the curve doesn't matter then.

I doubt people are interested in ready to buy soles because if they can make their own shoes those are the least difficult part.
You can always try it though, maybe you can make some unusual designs (like the heart high heels from Kaleido).
>>
>>6284897
She also did it when she send out her Coffee doll. She made a "How to care for" slip she added to the packages, were she mentioned doing this to remove frosting on a face-up.

I know that Twigling did it on her dark skinned casts to polish them, and afterwards she cleaned them a lot to make sure there was nothing left (I think even in a dishwasher? it's been so long I talked with someone about this, memory is a little hazy).

So on resin casts itself this might be a good idea, if you properly remove it afterwards and make sure there's nothing left.
But on a face-up?!
>>
>>6284904

Unless they're for a minifee resin shoes are a bad idea. Ever after high and mother high shoes are flexible so you might be able to force them on other dolls feet but resin shoes are for specific feet only so are useless for everyone who doesn't have that doll.

As far as making cloth tops on resin soles that sounds to difficult for the average hobbyist.

If you want to make some money buy some leather and make make some rustic fantasy style boots that aren't Gothic chunky PoS and I'll give you all my money.
>>
File: miumiu sculpted.jpg (98KB, 780x838px) Image search: [Google]
miumiu sculpted.jpg
98KB, 780x838px
>>6284495
>>6284544
>>6285054
I feel this pain. I have a doll with Minifee sized feet and just can't find anything I really LIKE, y'know. All the rest is generic shit like >>6284544 points out. I've tried a couple of Tonner shoes on my doll, but it's been pretty miss because all she has is flat feet and thick ankles.

>>6284904
Hey, I like that idea. I doubt most of them could be closed toe or anything, but I'm a sucker for sculpted wedges. Unfortunately, I can see >>6285363 's point in that it would be impossible to actually get something that would suit every foot's needs. Maybe you could see about 3D printing and adjusting them through that method before going for the real deal.
>>
>>6285525
>$1,190

I could buy so many dolls for the amount that those shoes cost.
>>
the thing is that I actually like Kayke's animal dolls a lot so I did actually follow her for a brief period on tumblr, but the human ones.... No. just no. Like the revived project she just posted caps of, it reads like part offensive caricature of a Black woman, part.... i don't even know
>>
So I'm browsing sales threads for funsies and this picture made me laugh like "Woah, dude, I don't know about that"
>>
Where's the best place to list a BJD for sale? I have one I bought ages ago but never did anything with it, I'd rather sell it to someone who will give it more love than I did.
>>
File: feet.png (388KB, 590x592px) Image search: [Google]
feet.png
388KB, 590x592px
>>6286264
haha cute

Check out this lazy sculpting guys. Apparently, it's a dragondoll. Pic is not mine of course.
>>
>>6286541
Damn. Dragondoll put more effort into detailing their resin penises than those feet, lmao.
>>
File: priscilla2.jpg (148KB, 592x893px) Image search: [Google]
priscilla2.jpg
148KB, 592x893px
Pretty new to the hobby, still trying to narrow down what first doll I want. How's Dearmine's quality? They have a lot of cuties. Will the faceup be at least close to the picture? And how reliable is their outfit stock - meaning, do they restock ever?
>>
File: rykiel.png (488KB, 344x626px) Image search: [Google]
rykiel.png
488KB, 344x626px
>>6287401
kys furfag
>>
>>6288469

what a quality post
>>
>>6287401

I've never ordered one myself but I've handled one at a meet and it was a solid quality doll. Looking at all the in hand photos on Flickr the faceups look pretty true to the company photos as well. Clothing I have no idea about as the one I handled was in home sewn clothing.
>>
File: 000.png (583KB, 597x601px) Image search: [Google]
000.png
583KB, 597x601px
>>6287401
Oh man, this made me so nostalgic for the time I was introduced to the hobby. I was trolling this pedophile woman on DeviantArt who for a while tried to bribe Dearmine with fanart advertising posters and character design in exchange for a free girl cat anthro doll for her mom. Her constant tantrums made me curious what the hell BJDs were and from there I realized how dolls are a much better alternative than trolling pedo cunts.
>>
So to absolutely no one's surprise dollshe is having a half off sale on their old sculpts again.
>>
What do you use to transport your dolls? Asking for various scales.
>>
>>6289431
I've heard eyeglass cases for teensy tinies, I use a batwrap for my MSDs and put them in the fetal position in my purse, I've heard yoga mat bags for SDs. I always wanted one of those sooper-gawth 00's era hard Coffin purses as a MSD case, I've seen instrument cases used as carriers, small duffle bags, classic doll steamer trunks with shelves and ribbons added to hold dolls/their items, wooden boxes or tin lunch boxes with cushions, makeup or diaper bags, and ofc, bags designed by bjd companies.
>>
File: 02012378160.jpg (64KB, 470x600px) Image search: [Google]
02012378160.jpg
64KB, 470x600px
Mandarake continues to provide quality sales photos.
>>
>>6289600
LOL. Jokes aside, those eyes are really pretty. I wonder where they are from.
>>
>>6288960
holy fucking shit please tell me more about those grotesque potatoes
>>
>>6289822
They are the egg series from Circus Kane. Their entire dolls are a bunch of gimmicky stuff. I remember the Moon sculpt triggered some people a while back.
>>
File: Coneheads_Poster.jpg (42KB, 287x425px) Image search: [Google]
Coneheads_Poster.jpg
42KB, 287x425px
>>6288960
>>
>>6288648
Good enough for me, thanks. Now the only problem I have is if I want to buy now, or hold out and hope there's a limited fullset I like coming soon.
>>
File: office2.jpg (252KB, 1018x665px) Image search: [Google]
office2.jpg
252KB, 1018x665px
"...and here is the janitor's closet where you'll be working."
>>
>>6293376
she's back!
>>
>>6293376

OL-san, okaeri
>>
File: DSCF6998.jpg (314KB, 594x970px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF6998.jpg
314KB, 594x970px
>>6293609
>>6293615
That is actually an older picture.
She is dressed like this at the moment.
>>
>>6293660
She needs a riding crop ASAP
>>
>>6293667
Awhile ago, the thread was discussing bjd centaurs and horses. It would be nice to be able to buy a 1/3 horse for that.
>>
>>6293660

mein OL fuhrer
>>
>>6293667
Or, I suppose something lewd with that too.
>>
File: DSCF7004.jpg (348KB, 653x979px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF7004.jpg
348KB, 653x979px
"...pathetic! Not even a hundred push-ups yet!"
>>
>>6293764
I'm afraid even advanced nazi science is not powerful enough to turn these chestlets into men.
>>
>>6287401
>>6290779
Sorry anon, late to the party. I have a Dearmine doll and the quality is really good. She's one of my favorites to tote around and their company faceups are really cute. Most of them have that kawaii uguu anime feel. As far as outfits go, I haven't had much of a problem with what I wanted being in stock, so I'm not sure. I would say they restock fairly regularly.

>>6289431
I usually use a large Soom (like Idealian/72cm sized) case or a smaller MSD case from LUTS for MSDs. I can usually layer dolls (if that makes sense) if I put some masks on them for faceups and put padding between them if I want to take multiple dolls to a meetup.

>>6289194
Yeah, they started that sale before people that ordered in Sept-Dec even got their dolls.
>>
File: pikapika.jpg (82KB, 774x1032px) Image search: [Google]
pikapika.jpg
82KB, 774x1032px
Pika. Pika.
>>
>>6294216
1) oh dear god
2) I like that the hand positioning of the lighter one on the darker one's hip socket unintentionally makes it look like it's gathering up a handful of its hip fat lmao
>>
>>6294216
Thanks for ruining pokemon forever.
>>
>>6294283
you're silly if you think it's unintentional
>>
So, what is the most affordable, but sexy SD (not uncle size) male doll body that one could get? I don't mean Mirodoll when I say affordable. I mean what is the most affordable out of those that have good, detailed, beautiful, bodies that are anatomically correct-ish (meaning they have the correct muscles and the chest is not on their clavicle)
>>
>>6294216
>has boobs
>super fat
>no tail notch
Casual pleb.

>>6295040
Sexy can be pretty subjective. Do you want beefy dude or slender with muscle definition? Spiritdoll used to be decent for their price, but they seem to be taking off in a DC-esque direction now.
>>
>>6294216
>>6295192
At least they're fat enough to pass as Sumo ringers.
>>
>>6294130
>meetup
What do people actually do at these?
>>
>>6295241
I'm not sure what people do at casual meetups. I just go to meetups at cons. There's some clothing/wig swapping, lots of group photos (of the dolls, not the people), and just talking to people.
>>
>>6295319
Are people there actually neat to talk to? I feel l ike it would be a cringe fest, myself included.
>>
>>6295334
It just highly depends on your local group.
Mine is pretty good and I've been with them since 2008, some people left and some were added later.

However, we stopped doing publically open meets a long time ago, because too many weirdos or otherwise unpleasant people showed up. And since our meets are done in private homes that was too much of a risk after a while, considering the amount of expensive dolls you had sitting there.

Our meets were mostly talking about dolls and newest releases, taking pictures, gossiping about the community, eating nice food we all prepared before, doing some care on dolls (sueding/stringing mostly).
Nowadays it's more "old friends who meet up who happen to collect dolls".

I would prefer some meets outside for taking pictures or a customizing party, but all my friends are not very keen on taking photos and customizing their dolls themselves.
>>
>>6295367
We're quite lucky, my community is mainly run by a girl who has a community room in her building complex so we have a lot of meets there. And as said, its like getting together, talking about dolls, taking photos, sales.
We also do things like raffles with dolls at big yearly meets (normally end of the year) and community awards and things. Pretty neat.
>>
>>6295241
Shopping, gush about how much they love their dolls, complain about Tumblr. Everyone brings the same three "healthy" platters to at-home potlucks. New hosts try to organize pizza and it never ends well.

Lots of good deals in the group I frequent, mostly older women. Take photos of everyone's dolls equally, post all to Facebook, delete almost all the pictures before porting to Flickr.

Get a group picture of the entire doll table, realize afterwards that at least one person's goddamn doll is staring at the sky.

They're pretty fun as long as everyone's over 18 and not apeshit crazy.
>>
>>6295016
Well, yes, it's probably intended to look cute/sexy, but not like it's hilariously gathering a water balloon.
>>
>>6295192
I dont mean super beefy, not more beefy than an IOS body
>>
How interchangeable to doll eyes tend to be? I'm the anon looking at DearMine, but I just noticed they don't carry any 18mm cat eyes for some reason. If I were to get 18mm cat eyes somewhere else, is there a good chance they'd fit?
>>
>>6297280
You never know.
Generally yes, if they advertise 18mm sockets and it looks pleasing on pictures 18mm eyes should fit.
However, eye fit also depends on the height of the dome, overall shape and curve. You can buy five pairs of 18mm eyes and they can all look very different.
Better avoid eyes that are already labelled “high dome“.

However, don't worry too much.
Buy a pair, and if it doesn't fit...sell them, shop somewhere else.
>>
>>6297287
Thanks. I feel a bit more comfortable knowing that there's at least a chance and I'm not /completely/ stuck with their selection or making my own. If I'm already spending 600 bucks, might as well toss down another 20 or 40 to make it perfect.
>>
>>6295241
Most of the time it's hanging out and seeing other dolls in person. Sometimes swapping things. I only go to maybe two a year.

>>6297280
Like other anon says, it should be easy enough to find cat eyes in that size. Most of the time you have to just keep shopping until you find the right ones. My DearBean came with some generic Glib acrylics which are hardly worth anything, if that helps.
>>
>>6297343
Ah, thanks, that helps a bit actually, yeah. It's weird, they have cat eyes for the bean size, but not the lover or pet sized, which are the two I'm thinking of.

Barring a nice limited fullset coming soon, I think I'm going to get basic priscilla, but the pet sized Rose would look adorable with a hime cut black wig and the Girl's Dream dress, though I don't like how fuzzy the wool looks at that size.
>>
>>6297293
Are you a unicorn?
Most people I see in the community buy their 600 dollar dolls then spend like 4 bucks on eyes and I think like christ why do you bother
>>
>>6296349
>>6295367
>>6295901
>>6297343
That sounds like a quite nice time, I'm glad y'all have had good experiences. I think I'll probably keep to myself, though. I want a nice doll and to take care of her and dress her up, but I don't know if I wanna hang out with other doll owners. I'm shy.
>>
>>6298255
How do you tell what kind of eyes they are? I spent quite a bit on my heads, and the artist threw in some extra eyes/putty.
>>
>>6295367
>>6296349
>>6295901
I think I could manage going to a larger meetup someday, where I can at least blend in. A local one just sounds like I'd be some [spoiler]guy[/spoiler] outsider crashing a comfy party
>>
>>6299537
If it makes you feel any better, I'm a girl and I'm still not comfortable with smaller meetups. It always feels like I'm intruding on some ideal dynamic that's been perfected over the years. Larger meetups are the way to go, especially at cons.
>>
So, where does one go to post/read BJD drama? It is obviously not this thread because you guys are keeping it super informative.
>>
>>6299686
>It is obviously not this thread because you guys >are keeping it super informative
Not sure if compliment or not.

BJD drama has changed a lot, back then it was hefty shit like Gutterface smearing period blood on their dolls or crazy scammers and everybody knew about it, because the community was small and mostly located in one place. If you wanted to know what's going on, Den of Demons was your place. Gossiping was also done more openly.

Nowadays drama is some petty bullshit on a confession blog or some mildly crazy person with ugly dolls on Facebook that disappears quickly again.
Lots of people are too sensitive so everything is basically bullying and drama to them, which kind of kills it to find actual drama. It also makes you stop caring because nothing is really interesting enough (same for ugly dolls after a while, you have just seen everything already).

We are scattered around too much and a lot of shit is happening behind closed doors, i.e. non-English speaking communities or private groups (the Russians actually have something called "BJD leak" for their gossiping and drama posting).
Unless you are active everywhere you will miss most drama since it disappears as quickly as it showed up.

There is a Kiwifarms thread, some stuff on lolcow.
However, most people posting there are not in the community and thus mostly write bullshit.
Search for BJD confession Tumblr and go from there, or keep a look on this thread because we sooner or later talk about drama when something pops up.
>>
>>6299409
On photos, difficult.
Unless it's very obvious (like a badly printed iris on acrylic eyes OR I know the eyes in question) or you have a good picture of the eyes outside the head it can be hard to tell sometimes.
When you have the eyes at hand it just needs a little experience.
I try my best to give some pointers:

>acrylic eyes
Plastic base with clear plastic dome on top.
Can be one round ball (with two halfs attached to each other) or flat in the back. Usually hollow inside.
Feel very light, have that hollow plastic sound when you tap against them. Usually pretty cheap.
Quality is mostly meh, unless the iris has been crafted well (like with metallic foil and high quality prints) and the base is of good quality.
Popular for animetic eyes.
Every design is possible as long as you can print it.
Be careful what putty you use, some companies use Super Sculpey and it makes them crack.

>glass eyes
Can be round balls with stems in the back, or also flat.
Usually not hollow (some makers, like Kanis, blow them hollow but this is not common), thus more heavy than other eye types. Made in one piece.
Smooth, cold and obviously feels like glass.
Designs are usually pretty simple: one/two colored flat iris, some swirly pattern stuff, glitter.
Wide range from cheap (5$) to a little more expensive, but usually not more than 15$ a pair.
Medium depth, highly depends on the maker.
Most glass eyes you see for sale are from a few chinese makers.

>silicone
Usually flat or flat with stem at the back.
Feel squishy to the touch and due the material are fucking dust magnets.
The iris usually looks pretty dead, there is no depth or shine.
Popular with people who have dolls with fucked eye shapes and sockets, since their squishy material makes it possible to squeeze them into the socket for best fit.
Mostly realistic looking patterns.
Honestly, you can easily feel those eyes, if it's squishy and soft it's silicone.

(next part coming in a few minutes)
>>
File: orangoutan.jpg~original.jpg (25KB, 579x329px) Image search: [Google]
orangoutan.jpg~original.jpg
25KB, 579x329px
MSC dried perfectly on the headcap but formed a couple of tiny shinier blotches on the face (still visible if you turn it to the light at the right angle and it frustrastes me greatly). What did I do wrong?
>shook the can
>observed 30cm rule
>it's a clear day with under 30% humidity
I'm a complete noob in these things, sorry.
>>
>>6299876
You might need to leave the can in a warm bowl of water before you shake it/spray it coz it could still not be 100% smooth.
Sometimes shit just goes wrong. Gluck.
>>
>>6299862
>urethane

Those are a little difficult, since urethane eye making has changed a little in the last years and there are a lot of different ways to do it.

You have the fully casted resin ones, with resin bases and resin dome, made in silicone molds adding printed iris cutouts. Like here:
http://www.jadepixeldoll.com/advanced-guide-to-making-resin-eyes-for-bjd/
Those are pretty flat and barely better than acrylic eyes sometimes, depending on how it's done they can look even worse because of a lack of shine and clear dome on top of the iris.
Usually popular with animetic eyes again.
They feel like plastic too, just less...slippery smooth and light?

And have ones where after the base is casted/done the iris is painted and decorated by hand.
Afterwards you add a glob of resin on top as dome and finish the eyes (i.e. polishing, coating).

There are fully resin ones, like resin casted base with proper resin dome, those are usually pretty expensive (with long wait times) and mostly offered by professional, long time eye makers.
You get those from Enchanted, Everpurple, Dollflower, Dollbakery etc.; they are smooth and with great depth and feel close to glass eyes but a tad mor plastic-y.
Everything is possible that can be painted, and shimmer or decoration (metallic flakes, crystals, flower petals etc.) is popular too.
Some eye makers, like Oscar, combine the adding of crystals with a printed iris.
>>
>>6299890
And there are cheaper variants made with all kinds of bases (baked clay, plastic, resin etc.), and nail polish materials to do the dome and coating.
Like demonstrated here: http://niuky.deviantart.com/art/The-Eye-Making-Tutorial-4-415692084

Those are pretty popular nowadays because they are a lot easier and cheaper to make than the fully casted resin ones, especially when you use already made bases.
Nail polish materials are easily available too, the most expensive thing is probably the lamp and even that you can easily get on ebay.
You see them often offered on etsy and co., and they are cheaper than the regular urethane eyes.
Just like with those pretty much every design is possible that can be painted, with the added decoration/shimmer stuff.

I am honestly not sure if those reaaaally should count as urethane eyes, but most people seem to count them into the same group.
If you got a self-made pair from an artist and they do not have those perfectly smooth looking acrylic bases with acrylic plastic dome on top, they are probably that kind.
>>
>>6299876
Those are probably MSC drops.
When you closely watch the nozzle while spraying or the light hits the stream just right you can see the tiny drops splattering around.

Make sure the nozzle is clean before spraying (some q-tip with rubbing alcohol swiping the opening is usually enough....or scrape it off with your nail).
Shake well, do the warm water trick anon mentioned, maybe change the distance to the head (further away, I usually go for an arm length).
You can also try giving the head a few light mists again, that should kill those shiny spots.

(Oh, was the head clean and dry before? Some funky stuff only shows up after you seal it, unfortunately)
>>
File: cUqIizH.jpg (51KB, 405x348px) Image search: [Google]
cUqIizH.jpg
51KB, 405x348px
>>6299880
>>6299893
I checked the nozzle and sealed again after warming the can and looks like that did the trick, this coat is even. Thanks for your advice!
>>
>>6298255
Good to know I'm taking steps in the right direction. I'm hoping once I get marketplace access on doa that I'll have some luck, and I was pointed towards a couple of good eye stores, but if I still can't find a perfect one, how much would commissioning a pair cost? And where would I even find someone to do that?
>>
>>6299965
Hm, cat eyes are a little more difficult than your regular eyes.
But Enchanted does pretty much anything you ask them for:
http://kyona.byus.net/eng_main.htm

They have a so called "Unique" line, where they do fully custom or OOAK pairs.
A custom unique eye pair starts at 70$ and you can do a lot of custom wishes (pupil shape and color, iris design, shimmer and decoration, sclera color etc.).
You can also pick any of their already offered eye types (Sweety, Milky etc.) and just ask for a custom pupil, if fully custom is too difficult for you.
At 18mm urethane is really worth it.

Click around on the website for a bit, it's a little difficult to navigate but sooner or later you will find all needed information.

Else give Etsy a try and look if you can find a nice pair with cat pupils there and ask/look if the shop offers customs.
>>
>>6300036
Thanks a lot. I think I'll probably end up splurging and going full custom now that you showed me that site, but I think I'll have to wait until I have my doll in hand before deciding what will make her perfect. Or at the very least, settle on which wig I want!
>>
>>6293660
So basically hubby A cheated on waifu with hubby B, and now they are both her slaves.

Nice.
>>
>>6299862
>>6299890
>>6299892
Thanks for the infodump. This should really get added to the guide.

I just ended up asking about my eyes, and they turned out to be resin, which will apparently yellow in time
>>
File: il_570xN.1136887510_so5a.jpg (98KB, 570x897px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.1136887510_so5a.jpg
98KB, 570x897px
Do you guys have any recommendations for clothing shops on Etsy? I seem to be only finding trash. It's like American Girl and Blythe got all of the good people and we're stuck with MonstroDesigns, crochet abortions, and...this.
>>
>>6300542
Sorry, I don't buy from Etsy
>>
>>6300542
sartoriaj, missdada123 (only blythe but many blythe outfits fit some bjds like realfee sized) feeriedollatelier (tons of cool stockings) ylanggarden are some, i've seen other good ones too but i can't think of them now
>>
>>6300604
oh and angelgardenbychilly has cute stuff too
>>
>>6300556
I've had pretty good experiences buying from Etsy shops for my non-BJD dolls (Fashion Royalty, Pullip, Blythe) but the shops I purchase from don't make clothing outside of that 1/6 fashion doll range. I don't really know why I'm surprised, though. Obviously people in the fashion doll hobby are going to sell fashionable clothing and not babby's first sewing project.

>tfw I just wanted something unique

>>6300604
>>6300618
Thanks, anon. I'll check those stores out!
>>
>>6300542
Kalcia makes some pretty stuff. She mainly makes Minifee and 1/3 sizes though so I've never bought from her.
I have bought a msd full outfit from DarlingClover and the quality was impeccable. I'm hoping she'll make more msd outfits soon.
>>
File: 9b142e1f382b4428b0d7afdd28efa079.png (826KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
9b142e1f382b4428b0d7afdd28efa079.png
826KB, 720x1280px
I have a question about selling! I've had this BJD for a few years now and just never really got into the hobby as much as I thought I would so she's just sitting around collecting dust and I'm short on cash right now and am thinking about selling her. She's Dika Doll's "Blanca". I bought her from Mint On Card originally for like $250 if I'm remembering correctly and I just got them to do the faceup for her. I still have her little certificate and original box (although the box is a little damaged) and I think is still in perfect condition (unless if you guys see anything wrong with her here that I'm not seeing). How much would I be able to sell her for if I do end up selling her? Is there a way I can see what other people have sold her for? Thanks
>>
>>6300848
You're probably gonna take a loss because it's an unpopular/unknown sculpt.
>>
>>6300848
Unless I'm mistaken, aside from well known lines/releases, the second hand market is pretty bad.
>>
>>6300887
Yea I expected a loss but am just not sure how much to ask for her. If it's too little I'll probably just keep her though.
>>6300899
Ah so you think it wouldn't be worth it to try to sell it? I'm still kinda on the fence about it because once I do get more financially stable I might try to really get into the hobby more
>>
>>6300848
First, take more flattering pictures (i.e. change the eyes so she looks less derpy).
The pupil should be higher, just grab the eyes in the back and tilt them up more.
For selling pics put the doll on a blank, clean surface (like a sheet), naked.
Full body pictures, face close-up without wig.

Else I second the other anons, she's not popular and unless you are lucky enough to find someone who's interested in her don't expect to sell her for much. 150$ might be possible, definitely not 250$ if you want to sell her fast.
>>
>>6300466
I just added it to the 2.0 guide, in a slightly edited form.
Unfortunately there seems to be no interest to update the current guide/I cannot edit it myself, but I will keep the 2.0 version up and if desired add it to the OP whenever I open up a new thread.
If not, just bookmark the link for private use.

>>6300542
BJD etsy is a little difficult because most of the good stuff there is from Taobao, either sold by re-sellers or the actual maker who try to earn some extra money through stupid foreigners. If I see something nice on etsy I usually can find its source on Taobao and usually for cheaper, even with fees.

The rest is, like you already said, usually crochet bullshit or the same leggings and t-shirts for MNFs again and again.

Do you have a certain size you are trying to shop for anon? And any reason it has to be etsy?
>>
>>6300466
PS: Forgot to add, but I mentioned it in the guide:
Yes, resin eyes do yellow, but it doesn't happen quickly, especially on the newer eyes.
Just like with our dolls make sure to store them properly, avoid sunlight etc., and the sclera will stay white for years.
>>
File: il_fullxfull.684678129_6jxa.jpg (391KB, 1500x1050px) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.684678129_6jxa.jpg
391KB, 1500x1050px
>>6300542
TheEducatedFlea does excellent quality work, but not many contemporary styles. Still, she sizes down her patterns from vintage stuff, and goes crazy with the details. I've gotten some custom leather vests and 1950s cocktail dresses from her that were to die for.
>>
>>6299686
The thread gets heavily pruned when we start going too far with drama, so we keep it to a couple of mentions, hearty chuckles, and move on.

>tfw we need new bread but I'm at work and get interrupted frequently
>>
>>6303811
I'll open up some new bread in the next hour, need to wait with painting some parts anyway.
>>
File: imaginary_friends_by_oki_oki.jpg (434KB, 500x747px) Image search: [Google]
imaginary_friends_by_oki_oki.jpg
434KB, 500x747px
NEW THREAD
>>6304495
>>6304495
>>6304495
NEW THREAD

Recap is a little shorter this time, sorry guys.
Thread posts: 325
Thread images: 80

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.