[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Toy hunting in Hong Kong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_5095.png (70KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5095.png
70KB, 2000x1333px
I'm going to Hong Kong (and by extension Macau) in a few days for about a week, and I'm wondering if there are any places worth toy hunting over there?

I'm primarily looking for figma, SAS and maybe some Transformers.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
>>
If time is of the essence, do a triangular visit of Yau Ma Tei, Sham Shui Po, and Mong Kok. Granted it has been 3 or 4 years since I've been back, things have changed a bit but shouldn't be much.

Yau Ma Tei should be like walkable distance from MK, so I recommend getting off there, go to In's Point, and work from there. There should be a couple of good Transformers shop, 3rd party stuff too.

Look up the address for Hobbybase Sino Centre, walk towards there after In's Point. I think they are in reality Robotkingdom, so that's a good spot for those kinds of stuff.

Sino Center, CTMA, Richmond Centre shopping arcade are the three big spots in MK. Not sure if gunpla or plamo are your thing, but there are a couple of model shop speckled here and there at MK.

I would especially be careful with like Richmond shops and SSP, bootlegs alert there, but shouldn't discourage you from getting the good shit. Be smart and don't get something if they look fishy.
SSP, I think Fook Le is a good spot. And there's a few shops there.

If you have some spare time, then maybe go to Wan Chai, Tai Yuen Street. Causeway Bay is doable there, but it pretty much is just down to Sogo and some shops down at Sugar Street. That place has since became Pinoy hotspot instead.

Just look up the facebook page for Fook Le and Hobbybase for a good idea.

I wanna head back too in a few months or so after my CPA. Happy Hunting!
>>
File: 20131128180702_0_1.jpg (33KB, 400x349px) Image search: [Google]
20131128180702_0_1.jpg
33KB, 400x349px
There's a mall called "Sino Centre" in Hong Kong, which is filled with toys. Anime figures included.
>>
Oh yeah, one more thing. This isn't TRU, so shops around MK and YMT usually open late. Some of these people probably have secondary jobs or to save overheads or something. 3 to 4 pm is a good time to show up there. Plan your visits. SSP and Wan Chai I think open early if you are looking for places to kill time.
>>
>>6251880
Jesus, that's a lot of places to go. I do have a full week though so it's not like I'm rushing too much or anything. I'll be sure to check them all out.

>>6251885
Sounds interesting, I'll give it a go.

>>6251896
Right. I need to do some research on opening times and then plan from there then. Thanks for the heads up.
>>
>>6251852
>and by extension Macau
>Any pointers would be greatly appreciated
Resist the urge to gamble.
>>
China Square Central
>>
Benscollectables posted some places
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll6v6Z4WEFo&list=PLtmAyfyvT4bh-geeFe8SZbkSkhqDUC6nd

please report back what you found
>>
>>6252831
Wrong country and it's getting shut down soon
>>
>>6252825
I'm not into gambling so that won't be hard in the slightest.

>>6252831
Wrong country, you're thinking of Singapore.

>>6252847
I will, if this thread is still up when I'm in HK.
>>
>>6251880
Right, I'm doing my toyhunting right now and it just so happens that I'm living right smack in Mong Kok, incredibly close to Sino Centre and the others you mentioned. Looks like that'll be my first stop.

Will update as I go from shop to shop, heading back to the hotel first after obtaining a dataline.
>>
>>6251880
>>6257132
OP here, just finished looking through your recs for Yau Ma Tei and Mong Kok, here's my results.

The selection is pretty varied. Lots of stuff that I'm not really into and lots of stuff that I'm into but either already own or have no interest in getting (yet). In particular I find that despite all the SAS figs I saw none of the particularly caught my interest, although I nearly impulse bought DIO and The World, both totally to approx $100 USD (decided against it because it'd just be an impulse buy I'd regret later).

What I did find a bit disappointing though was the figma selection and the TF selection. In particular I was hoping to find more second hand figmas (it's mostly new releases, I should have specified, I'm mainly looking for a replacement for my Miki Sayaka that I fucked up when it dropped off my shelf) and more CHUG TFs (it was mostly MPs and 3P, and while the 3P selection was interesting nothing really caught my eye as worth purchasing). To be fair though I probably should be going to somewhere like TRU or another toy shop equivalent if I want modern CHUG figs.

So is there anywhere you're aware of that specializes in or has a higher chance of finding aftermarket figmas? I'm heading over to SSP now and after that I might call it a day, so if you have any places I could go hunting tomorrow that'd be great.
>>
go to "In's Point" near Yau Ma Tei MTR station,
most of the shops open after 3:pm
>>
>>6257251
Hey there, HK guide anon here. Just got back home from work and I am gonna be home for the next 5 days trying to study, so I will be able to go on 4chan.

I am extremely surprised that you can't find anything TF from Hobbybase at Sino Centre or In's Point. These two spots are usual TF heaven from what I know. Are you sure you have gone up to Hobbybase? It is not at the commercial floors, not reachable by escalator. Reachable by stairs and elevator only. Just making sure.

That's the most concentrated you are gonna get but I think the last few places I can think of are HK Island or TRU/Japanese Department Stores. Sogo and TRU I think you can google on your own. Tsim Sha Tsui TRU is pretty famous

For your HK Island route, I would go to:

Wan Chai - Tai Yuen Street, Oriental 188 Shopping Arcade
Causeway Bay - Sogo and TRU maybe
Taikoo - I will have you know, while I have been living in US for years, I can sorta say I grew up here. Toyzone HK, this place is like mandarake but I can't attest to them having what you want. This is for older stuff. Used to be in Causeway Bay. Not sure if they are cheap neither, but I go there once in a blue moon even though I "live" close to there.

Also, a chainstore I might try is look up Wonderland Superstore on facebook or google. There are a couple speckled here and there. I find that at times their stock are slightly different from the MK concentrated areas.

To be honest, times are rough and shops close.
I
Another suggestion:

http://toysdaily.com/discuz/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=255189&extra=page%3D1&page=1
Some Toy Vendor Convention this weekend just in case your are still there.
4 Hing Yip Street, Kwun Tong, Kwun Tong, Hong Kong
Other than that man, I will just say try to have fun and go.... I dunno, Disneyland or Ocean Park or something and just eat some good food.

Have fun and don't lose all your money at Macau!
>>
>>6258218
I didn't manage to find Hobbybase the last time, found it this time though. Most of its stock was CW shelfwarmers and TR Hot Rods so I didn't get anything. I saw a TR Black Shadow at a different shop so I'm still considering picking that up. In's Point had lots of cool stuff but none of it was particularly what I was looking for. TRU TST had the same problem: Lots and lots of shelfwarmers.

By any chance, do you have any idea where i could get ahold of TR Brainstorm here? The Walgreens one that is. I've been hunting for that everywhere but haven't found it yet.

I'm just about to take the train over to HK island, so wish me luck.
>>
>>6258218
>>6258946
Right, finished Wan Chai and Causeway Bay. Honestly, there were literally only 2 toy shops in Wan Chai, neither had what I wanted. The Sogo and TRU were once again both filled with shelfwarmers. Ended up picking up the Black Shadow I mentioned earlier because why not.

Didn't manage to go to Toyzone though, I'll do that on Sunday when I get back from Macau. Same with that toy convention.

What're the chances that Toyzone will sell aftermarket stuff? Because I still can't find that damn Sayaka.

Any recommendations for Macau?
>>
>>6259095
Toyzone is again where you find semi-antique/aftermarket stuff. I can't guarantee anything like Miku Sayaka or TR Brainstorm, that is just way too oddly specific for a store where I haven't been in 3, 4 years. Heck I am surprised they are still around desu. They are a consignment/secondhanded store, like Mandarake. The thing is, they are located at such a weird place that they don't attract the usual MK crowds, too far. I have seen tourists there once in a while, and local neighborhood kids. There are times when I find absolute crap there, but also times when I find hidden treasure there, you'd never know. I do recommend checking that place out, it is like one floor full of stuff after stuff after stuff. While you are there, you can try your luck at TRU and Aeon. Seriously, TRU and Aeon are the same story as in the US, luck factors in. I was also pissed when I saw the reboxing dickheads. They are internationally present these bastards, I tells ya.

I am also unsure of the toy convention, but they again should have some aftermarket stuff.

I think maybe go to the convention at Kwun Tong and then Taikoo. You transfer like 2 or 3 lines, but they are like 2 or 3 stops apart.

Can't help you there with Macau, but I heard there's a shop near Ruins of St. Paul's?
>>
>>6259115
Just arrived in Macau, seems like it's mostly stereotypical touristfaggotry with nothing really collector oriented. I'll probably go running from TRU to departmental store sifting for whatever may be of interest but that's it.

When I arrived back in HK on Sunday though I'll defintely look at Toyzone and then Kwun Tong. I'm really banking on Toyzone having Sayaka and me chancing upon Brainstorm either in one of the stores here or at Kwun Tong.
>>
>>6252875
Singapore's like next to Hongkong in China
>>
>>6257528

I adore In's Point, so much stuff packed floor to ceiling.
>>
>>6252825
Macau gambling is the saddest thing to watch. It doesn't even have the same "fun even if you lose a couple hundred bucks" aspect Vegas has. It's all just old Chinese people sitting at slots and baccarat. Gimme some blackjack or some kind of fun poker.

Honestly gambling isn't much fun either way tho.
>>
>>6252873
>it's getting shut down soon

it, it is??? in singapore? this makes me very sad. Anywhere i can find some info on this?
>>
>>6262782
>SINGAPORE: China Square Central, the renowned hangout hotspot for toy and collectible aficionados, will soon be no more. Frasers Centrepoint, the management under which the mall is operated, has cited a new vision and direction as being the reasons for the decision. When visited by the paper, a significant percentage of the stores have already vacated or were in the midst of vacating the premises, with numerous units being hoarded up. Moving forward, the mall aims to revitalize its image and attract greater footfall by undergoing a revamp and bringing in a better tenant mix consisting of more F&B and lifestyle retailers. The mall is expected to be closed by Q4 2017.
>>
File: IMG-20161207-WA0039.jpg (174KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20161207-WA0039.jpg
174KB, 1200x1600px
>>6257528
I love that place. Just being there emavme all warm and fuzzy. Feels surprisingly better than akiba or something. Found pic related there
>>
>>6252831
it's a ghost town now bruh
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.