[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to paint toys to have cell shading? I gave this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 9

File: download (3).jpg (6KB, 261x193px) Image search: [Google]
download (3).jpg
6KB, 261x193px
Is it possible to paint toys to have cell shading? I gave this old bruce wayne figure i that i to use to make a Sterling Archer figure
>>
>>6249150
Yes but it's easier to with something that has mostly geometric shapes with straight edges. On curved surfaces you can't really define where the "outline" of the cell is.
>>
>>6249153
Hrm i see im planning on making it sort of like display set up so only 1 side can be shown. What technique is used for painting in cellshade? Do i have to worry about shadows ,ect?
>>
>>6249153
I dunno i also seen some cosplay videos where they achieve the cellshading effect on clothes. Do you think this can be replicated on toys?
>>
Maybe something similar, these came out recently. They replicated the ink shading of the original comic.
>>
>>6249181
Wow that looks great i wonder how it would look at different angles
>>
>>6249182
Here's where it came from.
http://thefwoosh.com/2017/02/neca-superman-vs-muhammad-ali
>>
I get what you're asking OP, and it would be similar to what people who paint miniature figures for games do by accentuating the highlights and shadows of the figure's paint job, only on a bigger scale.

It could certainly be done, but as somebody stated earlier you'd really only be able to pose it one way and have the effect still work. You'd have to figure out where your light source would be coming from and use that as a guide for painting.
>>
>>6249192
cont

Can you post a pic of the figure?
>>
>>6249194
Im not at home right now but i using this a blank hot toys body and head that im had. For the head im using a bruce Wayne head clone
>>
>>6249192
>I get what you're asking OP, and it would be similar to what people who paint miniature figures for games do by accentuating the highlights and shadows of the figure's paint job, only on a bigger scale.

Yeah, OP, you should ask around the WIP threads on >>>/tg/

They can probably help you out with different techniques.
>>
>>6249199
OK, so you're going for 1/6 scale with real cloth then. That's a bit harder than just painting up a regular figure.
Yeah, Maybe looking up artwork cosplay or something and see what you can find. What they used on the materials and such.
>>
>>6249202
or >>>/cgl/
>>
>>6249203
I found a few tutorials on how to paint the clothes but im not sure on how to paint toys thats why i figured to post here
>>
>>6249202
Ok ill check out tg
>>
He's some Cell Shading done to a Gundam Model. I'd look it up. They were able to make it look good at all angles. Just look it up in google. There's a couple of different pictures.
>>
>>6249245
I really like that happy face
>>
>>6249160
I honestly think that looking as cel shaded cosplays would be the best way to find where you apply line and colours to give it that effect.
I'm pretty sure there are even cosplays of that character that can be used as a base to go from.
>>
>>6249263
Cell shading IRL is weird because you have to take into account your fictional lighting in the real world.
>>
>>6249245
Those look amazing. Damn now im not sure i have enough skill to cellshade mine
>>
>>6249291
Idk how you'd even do it. It's not like your using colored pencils or some shit.
>>
>>6249263
Agree, best might be to look up cosplays.
There are Archer ones, but Borderlands ones are a good inspiration too.

>>6249245
This looks so fucking cool. Really trippy too, because in some angles you really need to force your eyes to accept that you are looking at a 3D piece, painted to look 2D.
>>
File: archer02.jpg (179KB, 1049x864px) Image search: [Google]
archer02.jpg
179KB, 1049x864px
This thread reminded me that there was an Archer line in development that was never released. Probably for the best.
>>
>>6249395
Holy fuck that looks awful, prototype or no.
>>
>>6249395
Hah. And I thought the venture bros figures were meh.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-02-11-21-59-33.png (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-02-11-21-59-33.png
1MB, 1080x1920px
>>6249150
Yes, it's possible and been done several times.
No, there is not a tutorial how to do it. You need to just look up references and start painting.
>>
>>6250527
>>6249181

all those neca cell shaded figures look terrible
>>
>>6250532
That's statueshit some guy did, not NECA.
>>
>>6250801
Except the Muhammad Ali and Superman are Neca.
>>
File: 408682-8.jpg (116KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
408682-8.jpg
116KB, 500x500px
>>6249395
Those were released, at least Tux Archer Exclusive was. They do look terrible. I still kind of want one.
>>
>>6249395

Archer figures should revive the old Simpsons toyline with the playsets and voice chips.
>>
>>6249181
Yaranaika?
>>
I might have to scrap my original idea about is using a 1/6 figure. Is there any other spy james bond ish figures that arnt too expensive?
>>
File: ledbetter_pressimage.jpg (167KB, 600x360px) Image search: [Google]
ledbetter_pressimage.jpg
167KB, 600x360px
>>
File: yaranaika-Ali-Superman.jpg (178KB, 558x336px) Image search: [Google]
yaranaika-Ali-Superman.jpg
178KB, 558x336px
>>6250947
>>
>>6250532
I think they look fine, the bad blood predator is even better.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.